TC Comments: Team B Blue and G

Louise and I were talking today and she mentioned something interesting: at some point this season the Oilers are going to have to start talking about contracts for Grebeshkov and Gags/Cogs and that conversation will contain the names of two defensemen.

I spent quite a bit of time watching the Oilers very good young pairing today and have to say the future looks pretty damn goood.

• Denis Grebeshkov: Not only did the light go on but it’s a 100-watt beauty that hopefully lasts a decade. Looked good today, calm and under control.
  • Tom Gilbert: I think he’s so smooth people don’t notice how very good he is at all kinds of difficult things: moving the puck, changing the shooting lane at the blueline before firing one, skating backwards, forwards and laterally and he also has an impressive wingspan. He’s a wonderful player, looks ready to me.
  • Dean Arsene: He looked very good to me, I think he’d get an NHL shot with a team that had poorer depth. Planted Colin McDonald on a hit from behind and played nastier than anyone else today. I like him.
  • Jason Strudwick: I think coaches must love these guys. Don Cherry tells the story of Dennis O’Brien who ripped the puck off the glass when no one was around because that’s what coach told him to do. I think that’s Strudwick, and use that story as a backdrop to break the news that I didn’t really notice him.
  • Alex Plante: Wonderful game today. Scored a fine goal, he saw the G out of position (I was right behind him in the stands, could see it perfectly) and he took two strides and then fired to the upper shelf and nailed it. Also played a strong game physically and has improved a lot in his skating, especially backwards. He’s coming along, folks.
  • Taylor Chorney: Mobile defender, he looked smaller this season with all of those big wingers they have in camp this year. Another season in the AHL is a no-brainer, I wonder where he is now on the callup depth chart.
  • Jake Taylor: He wasn’t as impressive as Arsene which was disappointing. I think he had a subpar day or maybe I didn’t notice the good things he was doing. Either way, these AHL veterans are supremely underrated in my opinion and if a team wants a couple of $500,000 blueliners two of these minor league veterans would be solid options.
  • Jordan Bendfeld: I don’t think I’ve ever said anything nice about him but today he impressed with size and physical play. Won some battles against older players.
  • Dalton Prout: He didn’t do too much to get noticed, I don’t recall many shifts.
  • Jeff Deslauriers: He matched Dubnyk’s performance in the earlier game, looked confident and aggressive.
  • Andrew Perugini: Was beaten by Colin McDonald on the PS but looked fine to me otherwise. He’s probably the 4th best goalie in the system.
  • Aaron Sorochan: He made some terrific stops and to my eye got more work than anyone, maybe a little weak on the Penner goal. Interesting situation for this player when we look at the depth chart. Does he play in Springfield? Stockton? Or do they send him home?
  • Bryan Pitton: Gave up an early goal to O’Marra and a weak one to Chorney (or was it tipped) and generally looked a little behind the others.

That’s all, folks.

18 Responses to "TC Comments: Team B Blue and G"

1. uni says:

Thank you for the wonderful posts LT. Just got home after a 4 hour transit disaster and hit your blog up to find this incredible insight into TC.

Wish I could be there to see it, but this is the next best thing.

2. bookie says:

Lots of assets back there to address any little concerns like a 3C when the need arises…

3. PunjabiOil says:

Thanks for the updates, LT.

4. spOILer says:

LT, if it's okay with you, I'm going to put up a link to Gregor's article today (just delete ths if not).

Their site is impossible for digging up back stories, so I'm thinking a link here will be helpful, especially if we come back in a year to review the TC.

Thanks for your efforts today.

Gregor Day 2 at TC

spOILer: Good idea. For the record, it's always okay to post links, new blogs, etc.

The only links I pull down are the ones from that Japanese person who visits month old posts to add stuff onto.

THAT's strange. :-)

6. Mr DeBakey says:

Pouliot “Looked just okay on the dot”

Gregor had him at 3-1

Brule “looked like he belonged in the big league group today”

That's Brule's most positive raing; Most are giving him T for tepid.

McDonald “ended up on the wrong side of three big hits”

The Arsene hit, which he returned later. There were two more?
    Generally got good reviews.

“I don't know if they should send [Kytner] back to junior”

Stockton?

Hemsky is “going to have a big season, but say that every year”

Every season has been better than the previous.

Pisano was “Crazy good today”

That seems to be the consensus. Very good news.

Schremp “does things that make you sit up and take notice”

Yup, all the HF Boards guys have erased the pencil & re-written his name in ink.

“I kept trying to notice” Lazo

Someone gave him the “most invisible player award”.
    We'll cut him some slack. First day and all that.

7. Krankor says:

Listen, just because you're not interested in tentacle hentai doesn't mean that the rest of us aren't.

Great set of posts, LT.

8. Gord says:

Agree with most of what you wrote.

However if you are going to give Arsene credit for an illegal (easily a 5 minute & game suspension) hit on McDonald, you should at least give McDonald credit for the legal bone crushing payback on Arsene that occurred in front of me against the boards at centre ice a few shifts later.

On a side note, MacIntyre seemed a faster skater than last season & could have easily hospitalized a few players (including Grebeshkov) with legal checks but slowed down "to soft bumps"…

Gord: I didn't see that hit.

10. flamingpavelbure says:

Mact will get his chance of injuring and ripping heads in pre-season games, at least he got a head, he knows scrimmage's not the time.

Looks like JDD and DD will have a rough battle.

Now that's where the Comrie contract comes in a bit weird.

If Schremp gets cashes in a really good training camp, owns his spot totally… what do you do?

You'r obliged to ditch a center. Schremp can't be 4th line center, he would only fit as the 3rd guy in a 3 offensive lines concept. Means there's either Pouliot or Brulé going down, if Brulé does well, we ditch Pouliot? Now if Comrie's just an invitee, maybe the issue isn't there, since you can ditch Comrie, now it's harder to do so because of:

A: Paying extra cash in a void
    B: Getting a bad bad reputation for UFA's with small salaries.

11. Bar Qu says:

It is interesting to 'hear' how the strength of this organisation is still its Blue. With blue-chippers like Vis, Grebs and Gilbert backing up Souray; Peckham, Motin, Arsene, Chorney, Wild and Plante all bucking for a promotion, how can the Oil NOT be knocking on doors to get the guys they need.

On the other hand, it does mean that they can afford to shed the odd high-priced vet for picks, right? Right?

12. Gord says:

Gord: I didn't see that hit.

Considering your thorough notes on a scrimmage with few whistles, you did not miss much of the on ice play.

I barely managed to have 7-8 players jump out at me in each of the teams; no need to apologize.

The only reason I remembered the payback hit was that I put a star beside Arsene's name on the program because I expected him to be sent to the dressing room for boarding; and a dash beside McDonald's name to see if he was going to be able to finish the scrimmage.

When the crunch came a few minutes later, I looked at the program & started laughing out loud because they were the same numbers on the uniforms – just a different player receiving the hit…

13. doritogrande says:

It's worth pointing out that Petr Sykora, yes the Stanley Cup champion Petr Sykora, is in Minnesota on a tryout.

Another "former two-time 30 goal scorer". One with a modicum of size.

Wow.

14. Gord says:

Bar Qu,

re: Peckham, Motin, Arsene, Chorney, Wild and Plante

From what I saw today (Peckham did not play), none of those players jumped out at me as being ready to play in the NHL this season.

Motin appeared to be "Hejda lite" & Plante had some good offensive instincts & a very solid shot but I'm still not sold on his skating; I suspect they will both will be good AHL players this year.

There is no need to rush things on defense…

15. Bar Qu says:

I appreciate the voice of sanity Gord. I don't really mean to throw Peckham, Plante or Motin into the line-up right now. But maybe if these guys continue to progress nicely in the A, then the possibility of moving out a Staios is more palatable. Even if the team is in a playoff hunt.

16. raventalon40 says:

bookie said

We need a little Brandon Dubinsky action in Edmonton.

17. NBOilerFan says:

Lowetide, thanks for the great analysis and insight on TC action. Plus these are great notes to refer back to.

Wish I could have been there.

18. misfit says:

I'm glad to hear Grebeshkov is looking good early. He's had two consecutive seasons where he's been average-to-poor in the first half and terrific in the 2nd. If he can come off the blocks well, then he could be in for a significant (and well deserved) payday this offseason.