Tell and Penner

Dustin Penner was finally interviewed about the Heatley deal this summer and responded in typical fashion. Penner is a bit unusual in that reporters get refreshing answers to questions. Unlike 99% of NHL players, Penner’s words in regard to the trade are worth repeating.

“I wasn’t surprised. I’ve had some up and down years (here). Me and Smid were with Bryan Murray (Anaheim). He signed me there. I’d have been happy to go to Ottawa, but I like being here, there’s lots of character and good personalities with the players. Besides, it’s tough to sell a house here.”

How can you dislike a guy like that? I think he’s a flawed player, but it’s never stopped me from cheering for him. In a very real way, Dustin Penner is everyman. He didn’t star in junior, he didn’t hear his name at the draft and he most certainly didn’t get an NHL job handed to him. Dustin Penner took a lot of crap one winter ago in Edmonton, here’s hoping he responds with a strong season in 2009-10.

I bet he will.

31 Responses to "Tell and Penner"

1. Coach pb9617 says:

You know where I stand.

Now, if we can overcome your Smid hate.

2. shanetrain says:

He will have a strong start …

Has anyone seen him?

If so what would you rate him on the fat scale, with 1 being Horcoffmoreaumandalbaum and 10 being Terry Jones.

4. NBOilerFan says:

I have always liked Penner from teh day he was offer-sheeted (is that a word?).

Then again, that is also largely due to the fact that I don't factor his salary into it. I don't know how you can… he didn't make the offer, he received it. Why would anyone reject that kind of money?

I still feel he is probably one of our top difference maker if used in the right ways.

Woulkd I like to see hiom play tougher consistently, damn right. But I think he is smart enough to know this is a big oppurtunity for him to get th arrrows pointed back in the right direction elevate his game.

I trully believe that if anyone will help him most, it will be Quinn and Renney.

5. Smarmy Boss says:

I like him too. That includes his personality.

I've been a big Penner supporter, but I wish he wouldn't get winded so easily on the ice and actually be in professional athlete type shape.

7. bookie says:

I think the man is a round peg that ‘someone’ was trying to coach into being a square peg last year. He is pretty darn good as a round peg and we should make use of him in that role. Sure, it would be great if he were a square peg, but we already threw away one season trying to push him through a metamorphosis, lets not waste another.

8. Bar Qu says:

I started out on the fence with Penner, but once I started following the Oil online I became a huge fan (pun intended). Especially because of the work of Staples which shows the play is generally going the right way when he is on the ice – regardless of teammates.

And, that quote on selling houses, in an era of canned responses, is priceless

9. mjsh says:

I have it from the brother of a local trainer that he is in very good condition. Lost quite a bit of weight. Hope that is true and he finds some more effort level.

As we get closer to training camp, my optimism level is increasing. I think both Penner and Nillson will have good seasons. Not sure if they will both be in Edmonton, though.

10. rickibear says:

Did you see his picture on the oilers site. When I saw his thin face. I said to a co-worker has he lost 20Lbs.

11. Ribs says:

They said he lost a bunch of weight last season too, no?

I think maybe it's the operator and not the machine that is the problem.

12. rickibear says:

Sorry: post in wrong section: but want to give quain his due:

They scored more. You need to explain to me how a 4% increase in ES offense reconciles with your claim of a 20% decrease in offense.

I looked at production results of the players and not goal totals. Goals are what counts.

It was a mistake.

What I did notice though applies to the Mgmt philosophy.

I looked at the EV goal production of the players last year. Assigned a full season value for scoring 08/09 compared it to 07/08 and Career totals.

Player—08/09—07/08—career

Guys who took a step forward
    Hemsky—19—12—10
    Grebs—5—2—2
    Pouliot—10—4—8
    Kotalik—25—11—16

Guys who broke even:
    Souray—11—1—10
    Moreau—13—13—12
    Pisani—14—13—14
    Storitini—6—4—6

Guys who Stalled:
    Gagner—10—9—9
    Cogs—14—17—15
    Brodziak—10—14—11
    Penner—12—10—13

Guys who took a step back;
    Horcoff—9—15—15
    Gilbert—3—10—7
    O'sullivan—8—19—14
    Cole—14—13—20
    Vish—5—5—8

Reddox has no history.

Of the 18 forwards:

4 took a step forward.
    Hemsky's was dramatic.
    grebs and pouliot youth progression
    kotalik's was unsustainable increase of career shooting %.

4 were status quo:
    Expected from veterans:

4 were young players who should of made progress and stalled.

5 took a step back.

so from this:
    2 players got coached up: hemsky and Reddox.

7 were status quo for progress
    Pouliot, grebs , storitini, Moreau, Pisani, Souray and Kotalik.

9 took a step back:
    Horcoff, Cogs, Gagner, Penner, Gilbert, vish, O'sullivan, Cole, Brodziak.

This clearly says we need to see what we really have.

13. gonadsgo says:

I don't think weight is as much of an issue with Penner anymore… what the Oilers REALLY need to do is chain him up in a dark room and tape his eyeballs open, and force him to watch some incredibly appalling videos of all of the evils in this world for 50 hours straight, inject him with rabies and then send him to live with William Wallace's uncle for 6 or 7 years…

Then and only then will Dustin Penner be the player we all want him to be.

But seriously, the guy is a good player, we shouldn't hold it against him that Lowe picked a number out of the air and called him the solution. We should hold that against Lowe.

14. doritogrande says:

They need to send him back to Winkler and hitch him to some nice Mennonite girl who's dad produced only females, still runs the plow on the family wheat farm by hand and needs someone to take over in his old age.

Penner will pot 30 goals in utter fear of having to be that son in law.

15. quain says:

He'll score 30 under Quinn. I don't blame MacTavish for doing what he did, but sometimes you need to step back and accept the truth.

Penner is probably going to retire as a big, fat offensive specialist who won't ever be the complete or even physical player his price tag suggests. Kevin Lowe overpaid, and that's his fault. Ignore the price, stick him out for as many offensive zone faceoffs as possible, give him good linemates, give him PP time, and enjoy.

16. R-Gib says:

Hey – great photo LT. Penner, Cogliano and Heatley battling it out. Okay, maybe just Cogs and Heatley. Penner looks like he's sizing up a pizza pie in the stands or something! :o

17. Gord says:

I like Penner's interviews; I have no major complaint with the salary cap hit; I do have a problem that we gave up draft picks along with the salary.

Having said that, Penner needs to improve one area to justify his paycheck – he needs to follow through when he has an opponent lined up.

Too many times I see him slow down to bump a player when "if he did not slow down", the opponent would he on his butt wondering what planet he was on & if he was dead or alive.

He has the size to do that – for some strange reason Penner does not believe hockey is a contact sport.

If he nailed someone once every few games, the opponents would be looking over their shoulder instead of planning a scoring opportunity.

18. Oilmaniac says:

I like your take on the matter Bookie..

19. pboy says:

I remember that game last season, where Penner beat the crap out of a guy, served his penalty and then was sat for the rest of the game. When the MSM asked MacT why Penner didn't see the ice again, MacT told them that Penner had sat too long in the penalty box and MacTavish didn't think he would be able to get his legs going again, so he didn't bother playing him…..and now MacT is an announcer for TSN.

20. Coach pb9617 says:

…..and now MacT is an announcer for TSN.

Praise Kurri!

21. Bank Shot says:

I imagine if Penner gets first line icetime at ES and PP he'll score his 20+ goals and 45 points.

I can't really see him having a breakout year, or improving his game dramatically.

If the guy doesn't care enough to even say the right things, I can't see him caring enough to work on his flaws.

22. Psyche says:

Even though they aren't mentioned as part of the rumoured Phil Kessel discussions (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290712) does anyone suspect the Oilers have tabled an offer to the Bruins?

It would be consistent with the Oilers' theme of small forwards. In all seriousness would the Bruins be interested in a package including Nilsson? What else would it take? What do the Bruins need that the Oilers have?

23. quain says:

If I'm the Bruins, I'd rather not match an offer sheet than accept a deal that included Nilsson. The Bruins need cap space and efficiently costed players, which we do not have.

24. Jfry says:

bruins have 1.7 according to most reports…the most they could take back would be cogs…

i'm sure they'd wants picks/prospects as well…

i think we gave up on kessel when we signed comrie, no?!

25. doritogrande says:

What do the Bruins need that the Oilers have?

Denis Grebeshkov. Straight up for Kessel would be a good deal for both teams.

Pat Quinn played hockey against Frank and Pete Mahovlich.

Cogliano is at least 75% of Kessel at 33% of the price, and you don't have to give up a 1s5, 2nd, and 3rd to get him.

27. Bruce says:

Gord: I agree with this. In his first year here Penner did finish his check a little more often, and as you say, when he skated through a guy he felt it. Penner brings a lot of foot pounds (that's "Newtons" to you younger geeks, but I prefer the archaic since any sentence with "Penner" and "pounds" in it is good for a cheap laugh. Unless you're the opposition, and Penner is pounding on you. Then it's not funny at all.)

If Quinn can convince him to finish that check more consistently, he'll get even more room than he gets already.

Agreed, Bookie. One thing's for sure, if Dustin is any kind of peg, he's a round peg.

28. uni says:

Quinn isn't a miracle worker. Some players respond to him and some don't. Freddy Modin is a guy I think of that didn't suffer under Quinn but certainly didn't reach his potential/consistency under him. I think there's a good chance Quinn can light a fire under Penner, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if nothing changes.

Penner may just be a 20G 20A compimentary 2nd line player and that's fine. The only gripe I have isn't with him but with Lowe for paying him 4.25 million and giving up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for him. By comparison Modin has/had a helluva slapshot, was solid defensively, a bit more physical (though not very) and makes around 3.5 million a year. Here's hoping I'm wrong and Penner starts turning in solid 30G 30A seasons with a solid all around game.

29. 99thoilerfan says:

I had mentioned in the past,
    that Penner is a lot like Arnott.

Big kid, that "Joe" Oil fan thinks
    is too Slow, doesn't hit, etc.
    Therefore, we run him out of town.

Arnott now is a Cup winner,
    and is the Captain of his team. Funny,eh?

I like his hands, reach and mass,
    in front of the net. Quinn will too.

30. Perry K says:

GORD said…….On a side note, I remember last season when MacT stated he wanted Penner to play tougher. Penner beat the cr** out of an opponent the following game – as his reward, MacT benched Penner…

THAT was unbelievable! I had no idea that he could fight that well! He rag-dolled the guy.

Of course, your comments are absolutely correct. Opponents need to atleast be aware and keep their heads up when he is on the ice. He needs to have that presence. Otherwise, where is the benefit to having another {small} forward that ISN'T as skilled, nor as fast as the other smurfs?

31. logical thinking says:

Penner can thank MacT for his good start.