Trade Watch, Day 1

Yesterday the Edmonton Oilers signed another undersized forward, meaning they now have enough for two flag football teams.

I think most fans would agree that the Oilers must make a trade in the next 90 days or suffer some historically bad shifts for the small forwards. Kevin Lowe is suggesting “three scoring lines” which is nice but a couple of slaps upside the head (read: road games) should straighten that right out.

Shawn Horcoff looks like he’s going to be playing a less offensive role (as suggested in the “reasonable expectations” series) and the top line could include any of Sam Gagner, Mike Comrie, Patrick O’Sullivan or Andrew Cogliano.

Training camp is going to be a mixed bag from what we read, Pat Quinn putting together line combinations and seeing what works. I believe (and many others do too) that he’ll find early on that the roster is full of duplicates and lacking in some important/vital areas (actual NHL players with a more complete skill set than “one dimensional, undersized offensive player”) that will need to be addressed.

With that in mind, I thought it might be an idea to zip through the league over the next month or so and have a look at some players who might help Edmonton. Today’s nominee is Greg Campbell, Colin’s kid. He’s not a big player, but can check a little and was exactly 50% on the dot in over 1,000 sorties this past season.

30 Responses to "Trade Watch, Day 1"

1. Coach pb9617 says:

Kevin Lowe is suggesting "three scoring lines" which is nice but a couple of slaps upside the head (read: road games) should straighten that right out.

A literal translation would be better.

2. DangerMan says:

I agree line matchups while having 3 scoring lines becomes hell. Whoever our 3rd scoring line becomes probably won't be able to check their hats and end up giving up goals to pluggers, while those same pluggers check them into the ice. That kind of hockey would be totally unwatchable.

3. Coach pb9617 says:

Kytnar and Gallimore have some feel for each other, he?

4. George B says:

Moore Malhotra Betts as a 3rd line would be STUPENDOUS.

5. Jonathan Willis says:

I don't know if this is the official Golden Bears thread, but:

Perugini and Roy look very decent.

Kostromitin looks like he's been to the Bergeron/early-Grebeshkov school of defense; the potential is nice but the occasional mind-blowing decision is fun too.

I'm not sure Abney knows there's a puck.

I continue to be impressed with Motin. Man he's good.

7. Jonathan Willis says:

Yeah, I'm a fan. A very nice pick.

8. Jonathan Willis says:

Bendfeld's been very noticeable, which isn't really a good thing. As advertised; and I can't see that the pros will ever outweight the cons.

9. 40oz says:

Campbell would be a perfect fit, I'd love to see McClement or Gaustad as well.

Damn this feed. Motin really is a beast, he puts himself out of position once in a while going for a hit. But I can live with that.

10. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Still looking for the Cavalry to come over the hill LT?

These guys think this is a "great team" (Tambellini).

11. Coach pb9617 says:

Kytnar has been "saw him good" a whole bunch with me now. Kid really gets the game.

12. pboy says:

Who is the Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals all-time leader in hits?

A. Tim Wallach
    B. Tim Raines
    C. Gary Carter

13. Bank Shot says:

I really like Motin as well. His outlet passes are right on the money, and he doesn't have any panic with the puck. Didn't look like he had a shot of any kind, but the Oilers have enough guys on the backend with offence.

It'll be interesting to see how Motin fares in the main camp, as he looks to be an alright skater, but I'd like to see how he copes when the game gets quicker.

Cornet was pretty shifty. He looked good but needs to get stronger on the puck.

I'm not sure if Kytnar won a faceoff all night. He's got some nice things going for him. Not alot of natural offensive talent though. He looks to be in tough to make it in the bigs. Is it true he is going back to junior for an overage season?

Bates was good, but he's old, old, old for a prospect game. Not really any other standouts, except for Abney's awkard skating. He sure is big, though he looks like a 12 year old.

Ringrose had a really noticeable game for the Bears. I think he's 5'10". The Oilers should sign him quick. :p

Wallach, but he was the third best player in that group. Two HOFers (imo) and a back of the offense guy whose numbers jumped when they juiced the ball about 1987.

15. pboy says:

Very good LT. Now how about the Blue Jays all-time hits leader?

A. Lloyd Mosby
    B. George Bell
    C. Tony Fernandez

Blue Jays are American League, not my field of expertise. Bell had some big seasons but was a rule 5 so iirc came to the show a little late and then they sent him away after he shot Jimy Williams.

Moseby was a fine CF but his bat left him after a time. Fernandez came up young and hit everything, plus he came back too I believe.

So, Fernandez.

17. bookie says:

Stupid Eskimos, that is why you never give up the single in a tie game! A score is a score even if its only one point!

I don't know what to say about the Eskimos anymore. WHen I was young they had two scouts (Frank Morris was one) and Edmonton always had the best players. Canadians, Americans, didn't matter. John Farlinger told me every training camp there would be some hotshot player from somewhere who offered competition at the position. Every damn year.

And somehow over the years that stayed, for a long time. Even after the golden years there was a swagger, a depth to this organization.

But it's gone now, the Eskimos are just another team and sometimes they're not even that anymore.

For instance, how in hell did SK get all that Canadian talent? Seriously, I follow the draft a little and the Eskimos are pure lemon suck at the draft over the last decade.

So, I'm not even upset about tonight. I can still remember when that organization was the gold standard, but they're nothing special now.

19. Ribs says:

Man, those Eskies. You just never know what to expect. If the Oilers can get any two of the Minute Army to play like Tristan Jackson or Arkee Whitlock we'd be on to something, though. Tough little buggers.

Ricky Ray…..why can he be so good some nights and just horrid the next? Guess that's the CFL…but dammit…make a gaddamn pass for petes sake.

20. PunjabiOil says:

The problem with the Eskimos is Ricky 'Inconsistent' Ray.

As long as he continues having these mediocre outings, the Eskimos will not get anywhere.

The sack instead of getting rid of the ball, and his 5 yard cross pass with 14 seconds was indicative of his poor decision making.

If Maas starts every game this year, the Esks are better than 5-5.

21. PunjabiOil says:

Funny sign in the stands

"I know this is football but the Flames suck."

22. DBO says:

frustrating esks game. Ray didn't look comfotable all game. still upset about his buddy being sent packing perhaps?

As for trades. I like campbell, mentioned him a few months back when the Horton rumours started as a possible guy to get back. he doesn't have much offensive upside, but he hits, has decent size and plays gritty. A good 3rd liner. I would still rather have Dubinsky.

So what would it take to get him? Nilsson and a pick? Make it a bigger deal by sending them a dman and Nilsson for campbell and Horton? Wouldn't it just make more sense to sign malhotra and send nilsson to the minors? No asset lost and what's the point of a rich owner if you can't stash money in the AHL.

23. NBOilerFan says:

by Jen Sharpe | edmontonoilers.com

Despite carrying a two-goal lead into the middle of the final frame, the Oilers Rookies surrendered three quick Golden Bears goals late in the game to drop a 4-3 decision at the University of Alberta Friday night.

Ahhhh…. sure is great to see good old Oiler hockey again.

Cambell would certainly be a nice addiiton, LT. I'm terrible at proposed trade values so I won't venture a guess on what it would take to get him. What are the Panthers biggest needs other then new ownership? Looks like they need help at both ends of the ice to me.

24. Hockey Noob says:

Haha NBOilerfan,

It was a great comeback by the Golden Bears, lol. I'm a U of eh Alumni, so this game always makes me feel conflicted. It's really the only hockey game each year where I don't cheer for the Oilers.

As for the trade watch, unfortunately, I would be surprised if a trade actually did occur prior to the first game.

25. raventalon40 says:

Moore Malhotra Betts would be an overpaid line, if two players on that list are already expected to make 2+ million. We already have Moreau and Pisani.

26. PunjabiOil says:

Hopefully when we all wake up tommorow, Dany f****** Heatley is an Oiler.

If not, this will officially close any lingering possibility that Heatley would become an Oiler.

27. Schitzo says:

Well, went to the football game last night. Ugly. Didn't get home and in bed until close to 1AM. It wasn't worth it then, and it REALLY doesn't feel worth it at 6:30 the next day.

28. bookie says:

When the Esks were a better team, there was a willingness to change QBs when it was clear than #1 was not getting the job done. THe score didn't matter. they would even switch more than once if need be.

Anyway, its probably good for the CFL if the Esks suck for a number of years so that BC and Sask can have better teams and solidify support. Sorry, but as a fan of the CFL, I cheer for the league first and the team second…

I can't imagine what SK can do to further solidify support. It's a fricking religion as it is.

30. NBOilerFan says:

PunjabiOil said…
    Hopefully when we all wake up tommorow, Dany f****** Heatley is an Oiler.

I was thinking the same thing. Heatley and Murray had a face-to-face yesterday morning and rumour has it that Murray made one last attempt at convincing Heatley to accept the Oiler trade.

Apparently the meeting wasn't very cordial and Heatley wasn't in a good mood (can't imagine Murray was either).

And seeing that Heatley arived at the Sens training camp this morning (apparently still not happy about it), has already met face-to-face with Alfredson (and is apparently suppose to address the media later today)… I think we can all now put to rest any lingering thoughts of a Heatley to Edmonton deal might still happen.