Training Camp

I’ll have a post up later today when the Oilers finally get around to releasing the final roster, but wanted to say something about what a wonderful day this must be for young men like Johan Motin. Most of us know the pure joy of making a team at some level, but I’ve never seen a good description of what it must be like to attend an NHL training camp. Baseball’s poets have long since given us the imagery and excitement of spring and their game, but hockey’s training camp remains a less told story (poets are allergic to the cold).

Johan Motin will skate on the same ice as Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier did years ago, and test his skills against the very best players in the world. He is unlikely to make the big club, but he’ll get a taste and at some level begin the process that may allow him to close that gap and eventually make the show.

I can’t imagine the feeling (first training camp) but can say there’s a bunch of us with feet of clay who still daydream about what an incredible time it must be to lace them up at an NHL training camp.

Fall is here and with it comes this splendid game. I can hardly wait.

84 Responses to "Training Camp"

1. Halfwise says:

Based on the one chance I had to watch Johan Motin at last Monday's rookie scrimmage, I fearlessly predict that wherever he plays more photos like the one you posted above will be taken. Lots more. And he can skate.

2. Art Vandelay says:

To be followed in short order by What It Feels Like to Be Cut in September.

3. OF17 says:

I have a sinking suspicion that Johan Motin will be jumping a few places in LT's Winter Top-20. The guy is a prime example of why Oilers drafting has been so good the past three years. Just for fun's sake, let's look at all the prospects with legitimate (and obvious) promise from the past three years.

2007- Gagner, Plante, Nash, Omark Kytnar
    2008- Eberle, Motin, Cornet, Hartikainen
    2009- Paajarvi-Svensson, Lander, Rajala, Roy

That's damn fine drafting. Even though it's too soon to tell just how good they were, you can't deny that scouting did their jobs. Drafting like this is what keeps the Red Wings in the playoffs for decades on end.

4. Black Dog says:

The Motin pick was terrific, the guy was rated very highly and then slid somewhat over a few months but based on his early ranking it seems the Oilers may have snuck one through.

5. bookie says:

I don't believe in a prospect until his You-tube videos have over 100,000 hits and more than a 4.5 rating…

bookie: Not everyone can be Rob Schremp. Give this guy a chance! Don't hate him because he's not Robbie! Please!

7. bookie says:

Hey LT

Some people are fans for the long haul, long after others have give up hope

That site looks to have been maintained right through 2008. I can only imagine some fan in 2019 blogging about how Schremp scored a brilliant goal last night for the Gold Coast Blue Tongues.

8. Krankor says:

Aren't we lucky that online Oilers discussions have multiple variations on Godwin's Law?

We're experiencing this one:

* Any discussion of Oilers prospects will invariably turn into a discussion about Sugartits.

It'll be someone else next season. I'm thinking of drafting a "how come all those mean Oiler fans don't love Slava Trukhno more?" campaign

10. bookie says:

Yeah, sorry about that, the Jason B. site was just too good not to post, if you dig around a little further it has facts like "last night Jason got the winning assist in a preseason echl game…"

Motin looks exciting, the guys from these last three drafts will start having an impact over the next couple of years. THere is a good upside to this group.

11. Coach pb9617 says:

Motin moves like Konstantinov. Can someone teach him a dirty side that can end careers?

12. rider guy says:

Motin has looked good, but any word on whether he can play "Rob Schremp Hockey"?

As an aside, I went to the Oilers skate the other morning at Kinsmen Arena and Sugartits made his first appearance of the fall. Before he hits the ice he's running around the rink looking for a jersey because he apparently forgot to bring one. One of the rink jockeys is standing next to me and says, "can you believe this *&^%(#^ guy? He supposed to be trying to make a good impression and shows up without any of his equipment." The rest of the guys are out on the ice doing drills and Sugartits is off to the side hotdogging it like he's getting ready for a video shoot.

Damn it, I hate that MacT killed this guys career.

13. NBOilerFan says:

According to Dan Tencer on twitter, 13 rookies are attending teh main camp for a total of 63 players at camp.

The rookies who made it being:
    Pitton, Perugini, Roy, Mucha, Eberle, Cornet, Kytnar, Motin, Prout, Plante, Bendfeld, Dudas and Bates.

14. Krankor says:

"Rob Schremp Hockey" is the title of a new video game from EA Sports. Fume as you watch Liam Reddox and Tim Sestito get called up ahead of you! Thrill as you get called up to fill in for an injury! Sulk when you get demoted when the injured player returns!

Krankor: Great, great post. I'm giggling like an idiot.

16. Hugh says:

My brother was drafted by the oilers in 1986 and got to go to a of the few training camps that you mention lowetide (being on the same ice Gretzky and Messier, etc). He was offered a spot with Cape Breton Oilers but decided he was best suited to go on to university (he was a big kid and when he was playing hockey he wasn't a goon, but he definitely had to defend himself). The nhl would have been a rough road for him. But he has the memories of those training camps. He said it was just amazing to be on the same ice as those players. I think even being at training camp today wouldn't really compare to being there in those days.

17. Ribs says:

Dudas got invited to camp? Really? I didn't catch much of the rookie games but what I did see from him was not very good.

Hugh: Is your brother Matt Lanza?

19. speeds says:

LT: I still hold out hope Trukhno can make the team.

Fire up the Journey song…

20. Ribs says:

I heard Trukhno put on 30 lbs over the summer. He's a killer.

21. speeds says:

Based on my limited "saw him good" viewings, I think Trukhno can be an NHL player as soon as his skating improves a bit. That's based on pretty limited viewings, I'd like to see him play more, he has seemed to read the play well enough any time that I've seen him to lead me to wonder why he hasn't produced better in the AHL.

22. Hugh says:

nope

Tony Fairfield.

He was drafted ahead of Kelly Buchberger in fact. I always thought he'd be similar to Kelly if he played in the nhl. But I met Jim Mckenzie on my honeymoon this summer and I think Tony's career would have been closer to his (I saw a guy in the Dominican with a tatoo that says "Dreams do come true" with a bunch of mid ninieties team logos. I had to ask him who he was. I still didn't know. He was Kind of scary looking but as soon as I started talking to him he was one of the nicest people. Tony did make a good decision I think.

It was neat though. My dad told me that we had Ken Hitchcock at our house trying to get Tony to play in the WHL. He played with Greg Hawgood. My parents were friends with good friends of the Sathers so every new years I got to be at the same party as Glen. Good times.

23. Hugh says:

the best thing I remember though was going to Saints games growing up when he was playing with them. I think he put 2 or 3 guys through the plass. Oh it was awesome.

24. Hugh says:

Sadly my hockey career didn't quite have the same trajectory. My only highlight was I got to be in the shootout they had between periods back in the day. It was an edmonton calgary game and the place was packed. I had to skate out to the blue line, come back and shoot on net. I got out to the blue line and as I was turning, I slipped and slid for quite some time….. I managed to get up, lumber in, get a feeble shot off and go into the corner and cry….

I was going to say that he was a St. Albert Saint. Hey, can you do me a favor?

I belong to an organization called the Society for International Hockey Research and they don't have any stats on your brother (hockeydb does btw).

If I sent you an email could you possibly supply some info? Nothing earth shattering, just his stats for the Saints and possibly birth year (I know these things have sensitivity so don't hesitate to say no).

Also, there's a fine blogger named YK Oil who has done the best work on Oilers drafts available and I do know he'd love to know your brother's stats from the year he was drafted (84-85).

Is this something you're okay with?

26. Hugh says:

i don't mind about his birthdate.

my email is hcfairfield at hotmail.com.

For his stats, I did used to be able to look up his stats on a site but I can't seem to find them now. All I can find is his NAU stats on hockeydb. I can check with my parents and see if they have any of the old Saints books with his stats.

27. Ribs says:

"Society for International Hockey Research"?

I can't say I've ever hear of it. Looks pretty interesting.

28. B.C.B. says:

Hugh, folks like you make this site a beauty. I makes me think my obsessions about hockey are worth the cost of sleep they give me, when I get to here these types of stories.

29. Hugh says:

whoops

my wife corrected. so early in the day for that. it ususally doesn't happen will the afternoon…

It was Jim Thomson we met. One of the nicest guys I've met…..

30. Scott says:

Heatley for Michalek + Cheechoo + 2nd

31. Schitzo says:

Depending on how you value Cheechoo, I'd have to think that that's much less than what the Oilers offered.

32. Baroque says:

I hope Heatley doesn't expect a less demanding coach in San Jose than he had in Ottawa. Otherwise, he'll be whining about the injustice of being expected to work so hard in pretty short order.

33. Schitzo says:

Thorton and Heatley. What's the opposite of the dynamic duo?

34. Baroque says:

Thorton and Heatley. What's the opposite of the dynamic duo?

If they were shorter, they could be Sleepy and Dopey Dwarf.

35. Doogie2K says:

"Society for International Hockey Research"?

I can't say I've ever hear of it. Looks pretty interesting.

I know at least a couple of other bloggers who are part of it. It looks like an interesting thing to join someday, though not while I'm a student.

36. Hugh says:

Thorton and Heatley. What's the opposite of the dynamic duo?

If they were shorter, they could be Sleepy and Dopey Dwarf.

the oilers would really want them if they were shorter…

FWIW, I think Ottawa got better, and San Jose got worse.

38. Hugh says:

FWIW, I think Ottawa got better, and San Jose got worse.

but then Ottawa never got 5 assets.

39. PunjabiOil says:

Just a terrible deal by Ottawa.

You wait months with a stance you will not make a deal unless it helps the club, and then you cave in to the player demands.

Bryan Murray is the Eastern Conference version of Kevin Lowe.

It's quite sad, actually.

40. mc79hockey says:

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can look at that deal and think that SJ didn't make out like bandits. Cheechoo is finished.

You people are all wrong on Heatley, Thornton and big games, by the way. Heatley was dynamite in the playoffs in 2007. Thornton is third in playoff P/G in the Western Conference since the lockout. That's going to be an incredible duo. Heatley might score 65.

41. Schitzo says:

Well, if nothing else, Heatley and Thorton can give us a four-month trial run of what they could do together on Team Canada.

42. PunjabiOil says:

It's funny how SJ has acquired two superstar players in Thornton and Heatley, along with a 5th round pick for next to nothing:

Stuart,, Primeau, Sturn, Michalek, Cheechoo, and 2nd round pick.

I suppose this move is good for the Oilers in the sense it makes it more difficult for Pacific division teams who will be fighting with the Oilers for the final playoff spot. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if SJ goes 4-0 against us.

In other related news, I was looking at the projected Flames line-up. There appear to be significant concerns offensively, and while they added Jay Bouwmeester, Kipprusoft will likely be a liability:

Borque-Jokinen-Iginla
    Boyd-Langkow-Dawes
    Glencross-Conroy-Moss
    Nystrom-Prust-Sjostrom

Questionable first liner who had a career year. A declining Langkow. The ripple effect of losing Cammelleri and Bertuzzi will likely impact the third line numbers. I'm not convinced the Flames will be considerably better than the Oilers, if at all.

43. Lord Bob says:

The Heatley trade is hysterical. Michalek is the real deal but other than that, my God. Bryan Murray needs to be taken out behind the woodshed already.

The Oilers practically could have traded Pisani, Belgium, and a pick and beaten that offer. If only Heatley wasn't afraid of winter.

//Heatley was dynamite in the playoffs in 2007.//

Not against Anaheim, he wasn't. Ottawa was the beneficiary of an extremely weak eastern conference that year. As the east has gotten stronger, Heatley and Spezza have gotten worse.

Heatley is not the real deal, and I'm glad it will be San Jose and not Edmonton.

I;m so relieved that the Oilers still have Cogliano, that I'm willing to give Comrie a chance.

The deal makes complete sense for SJ, but didn't for the Oilers imo. The Sharks have a chance to go for it and dealing Michalek hurts but the payoff is huge in Heatley.

Plus they dump a guy I didn't think anyone would deal. Good trade for the Sharks, the Sens are kind of strange now. Are any of Jarmo's guys still there?

46. Bruce says:

Off-topic but of possible interest to the number buffs that populate the comments section: as of an hour ago the Oiler website listed both Comrie and Gagner wearing #89. Just hit "refresh" and see that Comrie lost the thumb wrestle and has taken 91.

Often you see a youngster give up a preferred number to an incoming established player (typically for a Rolex or something), but no way was that happening here, despite Comrie's seniority in the league, with the team, and with the number.

I was thinking Mikey might like 68 (89 upside down) but I daresay Ahab is holding that one back for a bigger fish.

47. Oilmaniac says:

Lord Bob – "The Oilers practically could have traded Pisani, Belgium, and a pick and beaten that offer."

Me – "Whaaaaa?!"

48. Lord Bob says:

Andrew Cogliano scored 18 goals and 38 points in his 21-year-old season, as a sophomore. Also, scoring is higher in Cogliano's era.

So I guess what I'm saying is "uh, what?"

49. kris says:

I wonder if Heatley had "options" other than San Jose. Hahahaha

50. ian says:

There are only a handful of teams left that are not at 23 players, according to capgeek
    Florida are at 19 players with about 7.6 mil of room.
    most teams are at 22 players.
    SJ at 21.If the Oilers have any moves still to make who are the most likely dance partners?

51. Schitzo says:

Lord Bob:

Considering that besides Heatley and Kovi the next highest scoring players were Tony Hrkac and Lubos Bartecko…

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Heatley and Kovalchuk got some pretty sweet minutes.

(and more importantly, I don't think anyone has denied that Heatley is, right now, a better player. But between the attitude and the cap space, bleh).

52. PunjabiOil says:

Boston or Philadelphia are really pressed against the cap.

I wonder if a Cogliano + Smid deal could be worked out to acquire Simon Gagne?

//Dany Heatley scored 26 goals and 61 points in his 21-year-old season, as a rookie.//

One is liable to run into something staring into the rearview mirror.

Heatley is on the downside of his career and is a narcissitic pr#$%. He won't want anything to do with Robyn Regehr.

54. PunjabiOil says:

Patrick LaForge using textbook EIG scare tactics in powerful efforts for the new arena movement:

" “We lost money last year. We lost quite a bit of money.

“I’ve said all along that we can’t count on the largesse of the owner’s Visa card to keep hockey in Edmonton, or in Calgary, and the building provides the sustainability model that you need through good times and bad.”

Huntley says Northlands–and Alberta taxpayers–already provide handsome subsidies to the Oilers. Under terms of the team’s current 10-year lease at Rexall, which expires in 2014, the Oilers pay a nominal rent of just $1 a year, and cover only a portion of the arena’s related operating costs.

The actual operating costs exceed the club’s $878,166 annual contribution by more than $20,000 per home game, or upwards of$800,000 per year, he says. Recent multimillion-dollar upgrades to the dressing rooms at Rexall were funded through provincial grants.

Meanwhile, the Oilers control all ancillary revenues, from food and beverage sales to signage and sponsorship income, plus all suite revenues for every event at Rexall Place

Read more: http://www.oilersnation.com/2009/09/patrick-laforge-northlands-and-the-new-arena/#ixzz0Qvl1OMqW

55. PDO says:

San Jose has 21 players under one way contracts and all of $500k in cap space (source: capgeek).

That means it's literally impossible for them to ice a 23 man roster.

I wonder if Marleau is in play…

56. Ozzieoiler says:

Hey Bookie,

I live 30 mins from the Gold Coast and play hockey with most of the Australian contingent of the Bluetongues. Good bunch of guys.

I doubt we will ever see a guy like Schremp downunder.

The closest we've had was Rob Zamuner in about 2005, it's a shame his groin was held together with dental floss.

Tyrone Garner who was a NYI draft pick and Calgary Flames Shooter tutor was here for a season as well.

We seem to have old has beens coming to town to see the sights and get a tan while maybe trying to play some hockey.

It's a long way to Australia to play for virtually nothing, I somehow can't see Schremp doing it.

I'm intrigued Bookie, how did you find out about the Tongues?

PDO: They'll probably run under 23 this season. I'd be interested in seeing the asking price on Clowe.

58. PDO says:

LT:

I see your Clowe, and raise you a Pavelski and/or Mitchell.

Problem is, they're both still cheap, so I can't imagine either is available unless it's for someone like Cogliano, at which point the deal becomes a waste.

Well Pavelski would be wonderful but he's not coming here unless, as you say, the Oilers send an equally attractive contract/player back to the Sharks.

I'm quite happy with the deal. Murray's brother Terry played for the Oakland Seals and Bryan may have put them over the top today.

Good times. Someone call Gilles Meloche and Stan Weir!

60. Ribs says:

Hoorah! Cogliano is still an Oiler!

61. Lord Bob says:

What's with the mancrushes on Cogliano, guys? I mean, he's a decent young NHL player at an acceptable cap hit who gets worked over by serious matchups. He's not worth a "hurrah" any more than Belgium is!

62. Black Dog says:

Except he has two years in the bigs altready, L.B., unlike Belgium.

63. jon k says:

Ottawa just got reamed. Cheechoo is done like dinner and Michalek is a substantially overrated player. He's good offensively and defensively but not outstanding at either. For the money I think Penner is a better asset.

64. bookie says:

OzzieOiler -

No particular connection to the Blue Tongues. I was trying to think of an obscure pro league and I once knew a guy who had said he played pro hockey in Australia (Greg somebody). So, I simply googled pro hockey and Austrailia and there were the Gold Coast Blue Tongues.

Funny chance happening though.

LT- In honour of this incident, can we declare the Gold Coast Blue Tongues the official Aussie pro hockey team of the Blog (when we are not busy talking about the Oilers…)?

65. grant says:

The mancrush on Cogliano is just supplanting the summer long mancrush that LT whipped up for Malholtra, Betts et al.

Never have I seen a fanbase have such a hard on for second/third tier players. The hand wringing as to why management hasn't gone out and signed some of these guys is hilarious.

The fact that so many Oiler fans are happy that we kept Cogliano instead of getting Heatley is mind boggling. Bonafide #1 LW, shooter, goal scorer, perrenial all-star OR intriguing sophmore with some upside, who routinely gets killed playing tough minutes. Had that trade happened we would have given up an albatross of a contract in Penner, an NHL player in Cogs, and potential 3/4/5 dman in Smid.

Oiler fans might be the worst fans in the NHL at overvaluing our talent and apparently we're going to keep at it for another season.

66. NBOilerFan says:

PunjabiOil said…
    Just a terrible deal by Ottawa.

Couldn't have said it better…. except to add, and Wilson's demands.

Wilson just held out until Murray finally took accepted teh dalary dump…. sad on Murray.

67. Lord Bob says:

So if Cogs had been the last cut in training camp instead of Belgium, we'd be all "oh no, our EV liability 16-goal scorer is too dear a price to pay for an actual NHL all-star" too?

68. Steve says:

I don't think anybody here believes that those guys are elite checkers: they're middling defensively competent centres who can win faceoffs. The hand-wringing is because the team's in such a sorry state centre-wise that it would benefit enormously even from them.

Put another way, suppose you've got a widget factory. The standard widget-making machine produces one thousand widgets an hour. Those are hard to come by, though, so your factory is making ten widgets per hour by hand instead of getting a second class machine that makes five hundred per hour, even though one is available for next to nothing. Malhotra's that five hundred widget per hour machine: certainly nothing special, but a huge and cheap improvement over what we've got.

(Though as I recall, Betts was nowhere near an outscorer at evens, so I'm not sure I really get the enthusiasm for him either. He'd help the PK, at least.)

69. flamingpavelbure says:

NB: I don't know if it's such a bad trade, before they had nothing but the Pizza line, not it adds some depth (what they lacked and complained they lacked)

So now… it's maybe less terrible

Alfie-Spezzie-ChooChootrain
    Kovyy-Fisherman-Michalek

Not that bad.

70. FlamingPavelBure says:

Blair Betts: 4 Goals, 6 Passes. -5

Some success on the PK, being in one of the best PK in the league squad.

Apart from that? Nothing really.

I don't see why we would want that as 3rd center, Malhotra is arguable, not Betts.

71. Ribs says:

LBob – Cogliano staying means my girlfriend will watch the Oilers this season. Huge plus for me.

I do like the player as well.

72. Steve says:

Blair Betts: 4 Goals, 6 Passes. -5

That's a very odd choice of stats to highlight, given the context in which Betts' name is mentioned.

73. flamingpavelbure says:

Steve: If you called him a 4th line center, sure, but you wanted him as 3rd line 90% of the time, and those stats, even if he grinds like a madman, aren't near worth it. 10 Points on your 3rd line… eww? At least Malhotra can score a few.

But Betts, 4th line player? Oki-dookie ! Over Stortini any day.

5 ES minutes + PK = Perfect.

Steve: Agreed. All these smurfs need a Dad, and that's Betts.

I'm drinking, did that make sense? Cactus!

75. Steve says:

Well, if we're evaluating his abilities as a defensive centre, I'd expect to see some stat relevant to his defensive abilities, is all. Or at least some context for his scoring numbers.

Besides that, at this point the question isn't really whether he's a good checking centre, but whether he's better than what we have now.

Anyway, I'm far from sold on Betts; I just think "4-6-10" is a pretty terrible counter-argument.

76. Steve says:

LT: Well, now I'm in favour of signing Betts just so we can call him Papa Smurf. Drink!

77. FlamingPavelBure says:

Steve: Minus 5?

And when you get shafted by Aaron Voros in term of offensive numbers…

Fact is, if we put Betts on the 3rd line, it becomes a one way checking line, not a two way. Considering the 4th line is somewhat in the realm of Brulé Storts and JFJ, it doesn't give the opponent a big headache to figure you out.

Cover Line 1 and 2, other 2 lines can't do nothing offensively.

I don't hate Betts, i just hate Betts as a 3rd liner.

but Reddox-Betts-Brulé 4th line?

Sure we go boy

78. Coach pb9617 says:

Lowe's not the only one talking three scoring lines

Coach: Well he's a hockey player who might be getting craptastic linemates after playing with 83 for years.

3 scoring lines? Detroit.

80. Coach pb9617 says:

Something something something rue the day.

81. Black Dog says:

Return of the Vaunt?

Yikes!

82. Doogie2K says:

Indeed. If you want to go back further, everyone in Boston shit on Thornton for his '04 playoff even though he was playing through broken fucking ribs. Yes, really. I understand being pissed because you lost to your biggest rival as a #1 seed, but that's ridiculous.

83. flamingpavelbure says:

Doogie: Yes, but Montreal was as far from a physical team as you could be. And it was the 2nd time in 3 years they lost to the Habs as a top seed (Or number 2 one year i think)