Blue Jackets at Oilers, G9, 09-10

The Edmonton Oilers have been developing kids at the NHL level since the fall of 2006. Just because they’re in the NHL doesn’t mean they’ve arrived as actual players–men who can contribute to winning, either in a narrow view at an impact level or as a player with a wide range of skills.

We’ve seen good ones stay (Gilbert, Grebeshkov) and good ones go (Hejda, Glencross) but when you are airlifting them in 6 at a time it’s hard to read the meter. Recently, we’ve agreed that Ladislav Smid has arrived as an actual NHL player–he has a variety of skills and is a somewhat unique talent on the roster.

Yesterday, Pat Quinn shook up the lines at practice and although I’m definitely jumping ahead here the fact that Sam Gagner is on the 1line is a big deal.

• Gagner-Penner-Hemsky
  • Horcoff-Comrie-O’Sullivan
  • Cogliano-Moreau-Stortini
  • Brule-Jacques-Nilsson*

*Brule had the flu so Buchberger filled in yesterday at practice. Ryan Stone is apparently out for 2-4 weeks, so there’s not much depth and Laddy Smid has the flu too. No word on callups and apparently Pisani could be ready soon, but Souray and Staios aren’t back yet. I imagine things will change some before the road trip, and we need to begin asking how many people need to be hurt before Steve MacIntyre finds the ice.

437 Responses to "Blue Jackets at Oilers, G9, 09-10"

Newer Comments »
  1. Yeti says:

The thing is, if MacIntyre had been playing those earlier games as a nuclear deterrent, Staios and Souray would never have been injured through headshots, so we wouldn't have these issues…

… or not.

So why do we have him warming the bench over the likes of Liam "The Little Engine" Reddox?

2. uni says:

I would hope it's because Liam Reddox is at least an impact player at the AHL level. McIntyre not so much.

3. oilerdago says:

Seriously, what do they do if Smid can't go tonight? Smac as a defenseman? He has trouble skating forwards let alone backwards.

What about waiving Smac and calling up Peckham?

They're worried about losing MacIntyre to waivers but if you can't play then what the hell is the use?

5. Black Dog says:

I think MacIntyre goes in when I get injured. Now I did tweak my groin the other day but I should be good to go if need be.

When is Pisani back for sure? Is it ten games or a certain time period? I heard this weekend, can anyone confirm?

If Smid can't go then I presume Peckham will get the call.

6. Smytty777 says:

BD: Brownlee said he talked to Pisani yesterday and he will resume skating with the team Monday. Not sure what that means for when he will actually play, but its progress.

7. Alice says:

If they're that worried why can't they put Smac down on a conditioning assignment, there's enough guys officially down that it shouldn't be too hard to bring up Peckham without there being a waiver problem? Without Souray and possibly Smid, let's say they could stand to use his 'truculence'.

8. DBO says:

In the journal it mentioned that they will call up peckham if Smid can't go. And macintyre will only play if Brule can't go.

9. Black Dog says:

Thanks Smytty777, they could certainly use him.

This next stretch is going to be a tough test.

10. doritogrande says:

C'mon Pat. It's too early to talk about masturbation. I'm trying to eat breakfast.

11. hunter1909 says:

Another huge game. Oilers have a good record, but so early in the season all it takes is a 2 game losing streak and you're right back down in the low rent district.

Playing at home v the BJ's should be a win. It just should be.

I don't think that's the issue.

Quinn has stated repeatedly that everyone on the team has to be able to play, and that a designated goon has no place on his roster.

The management probably sees that differently. They saw Boogaard kill them in previous seasons and thought they needed him around.

I really think that the Minny game was a defining moment in MacIntyre's career as an Oiler. OTC didn't play him, and the Oilers still won and no one was hurt.

I also believe that the Oilers are still giving him a NHL paycheck out of loyalty. MacIntyre was everywhere this summer on behalf of the team. His picture is even on the back of the season ticket holder handbook.

The second they actually need a useful player in that roster spot he'll see action in at least one game so OTC can say, "see, he can't play, get me someone who can"

Then he'll be gone.

They're really close to needing that spot now…

Also,

Why isn't Souray on LTIR?

In this case he'd have be out the 24 days, which would make him available for Nov 2 on Long Island. More likely he'd stay home from the trip and play Nov 5 against the Rangers at home.

Do they think he'll be back before then?

Word is that he can't even get out of bed right now. How can he be ready to play within 2 weeks?

Mind you, they can put him on retroactively so its not pressing to do it now, it just seems strange to hear Stauffer tell that he won't be close for another month and he's still on the active roster.

Hitch will be in a bad mood given their performance in Calgary on Tuesday. I think we will see a motivated Jackets team.

This is a real test.

I hope the Oilers pass.

13. Schitzo says:

Woodguy: Where did you hear Souray is doing so poorly? That's really bad news for this team.

14. Phil says:

This is going to be a tough one for the Oilers to win. The flu issue, the injury issue, combined with Columbus being lit up in Calgary the other night.

Hedja and Commodore are still out, so I guess there's that.

Interesting useless facts:

- only one Columbus forward is listed as under 6' tall.

- Columbus as a team is +2 SHORTHANDED. Only one goal against, and three short handed goals for so far this year.

15. danny says:

Iginlas stick was questionable. At the very least he knew what he was doing was very dangerous and could seriously hurt the Oiler player.

But isn't that the same old same old that the Flames have been doing to our top players the past few seasons?

I fully expect a PO'd Souray coming back though, and Iginla will definitely oblige him with a fight.

I don't like Iginlas chances in this one. A broken orbital bone would set the world right again.

16. R O says:

I would say "at the very most". Trying to draw intent from the situation is foolish. It was a stupid play, nothing more.

Careful there. Rtribution causing injury is not a proper response.

17. Bruce says:

Danny: I've been wondering about the same thing. Assuming Souray ever does get out of bed *shudders* I would think he might have a grudge with Smilin' Jarome. Sheldon's form of retribution is apt to be a little more effective than thecaptain's pathetic attempt.

Stauffer mentioned it on his show yesterday.

Wow.

That's some quality coaching there.

Who's coaching the Oiler's powerplay? Is it Renney or Fleming? (Bucky is PK and pretty sure OTC doesn't do it)

19. R O says:

Let's hope Souray doesn't use a wrist guard to give Iginla a concussion, like he did to Craig Weller last season.

Surely such an act was and would be intent to injure.

20. quain says:

Another interesting fact/comparison:

JFJ Career: 68GP 2-3-5 -15
    SMac Career: 22GP 2-0-2 -2

Seems like SMac hasn't been waived because he's JFJ's backup on the top line.

21. MDOilFan says:

Sheldon Souray, who's been out since Oct. 8, which is when he was driven into the boards by Calgary's Jarome Iginla, did some off-ice work on Wednesday. That's not only a big step for the big defenceman, who's been struggling with post-concussion symptoms, he did not have any immediate setbacks. -from the EJ

22. kris says:

I've got serious respect for your posts Quain.

And maybe you're trying to be ironic or silly, but whatever you're implying, it's just a ridiculous comparison. I get that there's a lot of rage about JFJ being on the first line and not Penner, especially from coachpb, but this kind of hyperbole doesn't move the discussion forward.

JFJ isn't a first liner, obviously, but he's shown that he can do some things. He did very well in the AHL. And even the year he couldn't get a point to save his soul, he had an okay GAON/60 against decent competition. It's also not unreasonable to think that the dice weren't rolling for Jacques in his first year, and that he played well enough to get a few points. And unlike SMac, Jacques has NHL speed to go with his size.

Indeed, it's not unreasonable, just looking at his numbers, to think Jacques has a future as a roster player in the bottom 6. (Nothing is certain of course.)

And anyway, even if you disagree, the reason Jacques is on the first line because we need balance, not because he's the best LW or even the second best LW on the team. It's all about balance, and that might not be a bad thing.

SMac is not an NHL'er. Period.

That's really good news.

Glad Stauffer wasn't entirely correct on this. He usually has the goods.

24. Bruce says:

R O: Let's hope. I watched a few replays of the Weller fight and never did reach a conclusion as to whether Souray actually hit Weller with the guard. As I recall the league warned him but there was no suspension. As you point out there was a concussion, but whether that came from the guard or just from the 7-8 clean shots Souray landed is an open question. Weller didn't appear to have been cut which one would expect if he had been hit by a "foreign object".

I noticed in Souray's early-season scrap with Barch — his first since the Weller fight back in January — Sheldon took pains to remove that wrist-guard (or whatever you call it) before they started throwing them. Barch obligingly waited while he did so, and still got thumped.

25. kris says:

Would a wrist guard really help you concuss your opponent?

A wrist guard would hurt more, help you cut your opponent, maybe save your hand, but is it heavy enough to give your punches more force?

I've never wore one so I don't know if they have any weight to make your punches heavier.

26. digger says:

From Gregor's latest, Smid was skating this morning and looks like he'll be ready for tonight's game. That is good news.

Comrie is apparently sickly too, but will try to gut it out. An interesting twist coming from him and also from a Tencer twitter, is the remote possibility of Jordan Eberle being called up on an emergency basis for this game, in the event that both Brule and Comrie are out of action.

27. danny says:

Regehr on Hemsky

Regehr on Hemsky

I hope Souray wears three wrist guards. As Quinn said, you dont reciprocate dirty with kindness.

What goes around, comes around.

28. R O says:

What goes around, comes around.

I sort of understand where you're coming from, but the consequences of this philosophy can be catastrophic as Bertuzzi-Moore showed.

Plus, if you believe in "eye for an eye" then it cuts both ways. It's not like Souray, or any of the Oilers, are pure like driven snow. Do you think Souray should have been beaten upside the head by a guy with a wrist guard for what he did to Weller?

29. danny says:

RO, I've watched the Weller fight from many different angles. I really have no idea how that guard impacted the fight. Was it substantial? I really don't know but my suspicion is not that much.

I still don't even understand how people fight with visors on, and how people punch people with helmets and visors on.

IMO thats a completely different thing than sending someone into the boards head first. Regehrs were intentional cross checks. That kinda stuff could cripple people. Its absolutely wreckless disregard for another persons life.

Its russian roulette. Putting someone in a bad situation with possibility of a catastrophic outcome.

When it happens once, you kinda can say shit happens, but when every year its the same team doing these incredibly dangerous acts to your best players, then red flags go up.

Fighting someone without removing your wrist guard is nowhere near the same deal. Not even close.

30. Icecastles says:

I have two different wrist guards. One has a metal stabilizer bar above the wrist and another below. The bar above comes almost out to the knuckles. If you were to hit someone while wearing it, you would effing destroy them. However, it restricts mobility so much that I can't imagine being able to wear it and play hockey. My other has nylon/plastic stabilizer bars, which is the one I wear when I play. the bars end about halfway up the palm and you wouldn't really be able to do any additional damage (either in terms of the force of your punch or impact of the stabilizers) by wearing it in a fight. Souray's looks a lot like my nylon/plastic one.

31. LittleFury says:

Surely such an act was and would be intent to injure.

Did he shove a brick inside the wrist guard and hit Weller with it?

32. Dennis says:

I didn't realize that 44 wasn't on LITR and given the fact that he's not begun to exercise and tonight would be just his sixth game missed – and you need to miss 10 games to qualify for LITR – I don't expect he'll go on it now until after he misses the 10th game and thus they're sure he needed that amount of time off.

In any case, we've been flying with just 22 players when we could've had an extra one to use so now it seems like the Oilers never really thought that 24 or 44 would be gone this lone.

On 44 and Iginla and the Flames: I've often wondered just how good of a fighter Souray or Iginla is. I don't think I've seen the former lose a fight and I consider the latter a bit of a tomato can if he ever fought anyone "real"; though I'm sure they're career records are available online somewhere.

It just seems like Iginla gets credit for fighting but he doesn't fight anyone tough. The last guy he bested was our own 18 but we Know that guy's a tomato can. So, how would he do against 46? or what about Rick Rypien? How would Souray do?

I know it doesn't make much sense for skilled players to fight ruffians but I wonder sometimes just how tough some guys are.

33. Icecastles says:

I wonder sometimes just how tough some guys are.

Tougher than any of us would be my guess. :)

34. NBOilerFan says:

Tencer has recently stated that the Oilers do not meet the emergency callup criteria and that they will make a call to the farm team following tonights game.

35. spOILer says:

Dennis,

I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect that running with 22 man roster is due to cap issues.

As much as I like the depth Nilsson brings if an offensive type guy can't play, that $2M on the sidelines is killing us.

Would our depth be affected that negatively if it was Reddox at $508K or Potulny at $645K sitting there instead?

I don't want to end up in a situation like the Falmes last year finishing the season with a depleted roster, or like Chi-town right now sending Skille back and forth to the A on a daily basis.

36. Rod says:

Black Dog said…
    —–
    Some in the media (e.g. Gregor) have erroneously reported it's either of the two conditions you mentioned. It's not difficult to find the right answer, so I'm not sure why they can't get it right…

The CBA stipulates (Section 50.10.d) that going on LTIR means the player has to miss:
    i) at least 24 calendar days
    AND
    ii) at least 10 games

On both counts that puts Pisani's return at no earlier than vs. the 'nucks.

37. spOILer says:

From Gregor…

I was correct though with my hunch of Stortini in the middle.

He will play centre between Moreau and MacIntyre. Stortini played some centre in junior and his first year in the AHL he played centre in Iowa and Milwaukee. He also played the middle this preseason against Tampa Bay. So he has played there before.

Cogliano will move up and centre Jacques and Nilsson.

Bruce and Zorg's mom should both be pleased.

38. raventalon40 says:

MacIntyre will score a goal on Garon a la Theodore.

39. William says:

Dennis: you can look at their fight histories at http://www.hockeyfights.com

Iginla fights mostly guys his own size though he has taken on some pretty tough guys in Tootoo, Boll and done pretty well. What I like about him is he's a skill guy who fights his own fights when he's pissed or gets challenged (unlike Phaneuf).

Souray broke into the league as a rough and tumble D so has taken on slightly bigger/more goonish dudes, like McCarty, Manson, Nazarov, and even going back as far as Debrusk! He mostly sticks with guys that aren't out and out goons.

I think it'd be a good tilt between the two if/when it happens. That said, I'd be just as happy if 44 kept the mitts on and scored 20 when he got back, 15 of those against Cgy.

40. PunjabiOil says:

I expect Gagner to have a good night tonight, given LT has picture in the GDT.

MPS with a goal today. Game is being played at the moment.

41. kris says:

Moreau-Stortini-SMac

Can we call this line "Mortimac?"

Or should we call them "The Not Ready for Third Period Players"

42. Phil says:

A wrist guard would hurt more, help you cut your opponent

Exhibit A

I was at this game, and will never forget Souray skating away with McCarty's blood all over his helmet.

43. Dennis says:

Kris: that last line was gold:)

I imagine that come the third frame we'll see 3 lines with 10 forwards rotating through just like we did on Mon nite when 32 was out and 12 was in the bad books.

44. Oilers For Life says:

RO
    if hockey is to rough for you there is always figure skating

45. Black Dog says:

Yeah that's good stuff kris.

Thanks for the clarification Rod.

I was in Montreal the summer that he was a UFA and while the prevailing mood amongst Habs' fans was 'better you than us' when it came to his signing for rhe term and dollars, they were unanimous on his toughness and physical strength. We had a few beers in us so there was some exaggeration going on but they figured him to be the toughest 'regular' in the league and definitely one of the best fighters, like one or two punches and its over.

Iginla is tough and he's not afraid to go but he was on the wrong end when Beauchemin took him out in, what was it, 06? 07?

and he didn't really lay a pounding on Vinny in the finals in 04 either

46. quain says:

Here's your random assortment of stats that I'm posting with no intent to make an actual point (all numbers are ES):

-Team On Ice SH% is currently 13.7%; SV% is .933. Excluding the Nashville game, the numbers change to 11.6% and .929

-Shawn Horcoff will be the unluckiest Oiler in the lineup tonight with a PDO of 99.6% (9.8 SH%, .898 SV%)

-Taylor Chorney will be the luckiest (120% PDO – 20% / 100%)

-Stortini and Chorney have still not been scored upon

-Top 3 Healthy Corsi%: Gagner (110%), Penner (100%), and Visnovsky (92%)

-Bottom 3 Healthy Corsi%: Chorney (55%), Moreau (56%), and Cogliano (70%)

-Team currently has a -53 Corsi and -41 Shot Differential with a +7 goal differential

47. Oilman says:

I remember Bill Guerin in Dallas pretty much fighting Iginla to a draw as well.

48. CrazyCoach says:

if hockey is to rough for you there is always figure skating

Need I remind people of the saga of Nancy Kerrigan Vs. Sluggo the Skater?

49. Bruce says:

Bruce and Zorg's mom should both be pleased.

With those linemates? He'll be lucky if he gets 5 minutes.

I was thinking more along the lines of Zorgpensky …

50. spOILer says:

Yeah, don't blame ya, that's what his mother said too.

But Bruce, what if he goes 10-0 on the dot?

51. Phil says:

Zorgpensky

If only MacT had thought of that…

52. Bruce says:

Dennis: So who do you foresee sitting along with SMac? Nilsson again? Stortini?

Quinn's been playing Stortini deep into the third period every game, right down until the last 5 minutes or so. Zack has been getting 10 steady minutes a night, 4-5 shifts every period, and as Quain points out remains the only regular to not have been on for an EV GA.

I think we'll see 2/3 of the fourth line with somebody up top getting an extra shift … could be a winger or a centre.

But Bruce, what if he goes 10-0 on the dot?

spOILer: I'll have you know that Zorg's 63.6% ranked him fifth in FO% in the entire NHL last season (among guys with more than 10 draws). That's him ranked right ahead of Rod Brind'Amour and Kris Draper.

(@Staterati: I'm just kidding … really, just kidding. But it's true!)

53. Dennis says:

Bruce: I'd say 12, 32 and 91 are the guys who draw the shortest of straws. 12's only here because they can't get rid of his salary and Quinn has the correct idea, IMO, of when you play 91 or when you pine him.

In any case, I'm just about to log on to my online gambling site and if this is a 5.5, I'm gonna pound the over.

54. kris says:

Bruce,

Stortini may be the Chevy Chase of the Not Ready for Third Period Players.

"You don't blow on it, it's just an expression."

56. Rube Foster says:

I think this depleted line-up might be the best and very possibly last chance to see the Kid Line 08 in action. I’m crossing my fingers that OTC gives up early on the Gags/Hemmer combo and the line with three centers -Horc/Comrie/POS.

Is it so hard to fathom HorPenSky at the one spot?
    Jacques filling the Stone hole with Comrie and POS
    AND DRUM ROLL PLEASE – 89-13-12!
    I’m also curious to see how Stortini fares at center between TheCaptain and SMAC . My gawd, what if Zorg really does go 10-0 in the face-off dot?

I’ll go so far to say that if the Kid Line gets to play together for at least two periods, Dennis covers his over 5.5. bet.

57. FlamingPavelBure says:

Robbie Schremp -1 after 1 period tonight.

Surprinsingly, if someone was the least responsible for this goal, it was Robbie Schremp.

He succesfully blocked 2 bullets from Jaroslav Spacek, then the 2nd shot popped up in the air, it's defenseman laid the puck on the ice for Gomez to shoot from the slot, goal.

Saw Schremp good so far tonight.

Great defensive play from someone that's not supposed to care.

Re: Horpensky

Gregor asked OTC specifically about that trio and had a clip on his show yesterday.

OTC sounded like he wanted to spread the scoring out and needed more confidence in the other 9 guys to score before he'd put them together full time.

Kuddos to Gregor for being the only MSM guy to ask the question we all wanted answered.

59. Bookie says:

Saw Schremp good so far tonight.

May be the case, i am not watching, but he has one assist in 6 games with decent icetime… I am not sure that keeps him in this league

…unless he is becoming a 3rd line defensive centre…

61. Bookie says:

According to Gord Miller Shinebox Robbie hasn't seen the ice since the goal so he must have done something the coaches noticed.?

I dunno LT, its pretty clear that Robbie Schemp is a hockey genious and that the Isles coach, Scott Gordon, hates him and is doing everything he can to make him fail.

Including playing him on the ice when the game is on.

62. PunjabiOil says:

Schemp is -2 already. The Oilers should have taken the 4th round pick in June. Dumb move.

63. FlamingPavelBure says:

Maybe he did something on that 2nd goal i didn't noticed.

But anyways, the Islanders are getting theyr ass handed over tonight, pretty much everyone exept Tavares is horrible.

64. kris says:

pretty much everyone exept Tavares is horrible.

That's actually the Islanders' slogan now. They use it in commercials, on the cover of the game program, etc.

65. Oilmaniac says:

Kris- Hahahaha! Beauty!

66. PDO says:

FPB:

He had a chance to get the puck out, and instead has his third turnover on his third shift for the first goal…

He's full value.

Kid is a terrible pro player, and has nobody to blame but himself.

67. PDO says:

Quain:

Where are you getting the ES shooting numbers from? Vic's site isn't working for me…

68. danny says:

the whistler tourism ads have music by an indie band i love called 'The Rural Alberta Advantage'. ironic.

Comrie out for pre-game skate. Smid too.
    No Brule.

A. Sutton 15:41
    J. Tambellini 08:16
    J. Tavares 12:16
    N. Thompson 10:39
    B. Witt 11:13

71. geowal says:

PDO is a new one on me. What's that stand for?

Also sportsnet suggesting Moreau will be with Horcoff and POS. Guess we'll see in 10 minutes

72. PDO says:

Geowal:

On ice shooting % + on ice save % @ 5v5.

So it should equal 100%, all things even.

73. doritogrande says:

Anyone else think those three "finalists" for the Canada cheer sponsored by pepsi are G-eh?

I'm surprised they didn't bring back Bobby Gimby.
    "CAAAAAANAAAAADDDAAAA!"

75. doritogrande says:

Deal lord Montreal must be desperate.

Marc-Andre "Concussion dancer" Bergeron is out on the PK.

76. doritogrande says:

Stone update:

Apparently had surgery today for his knee. Out 2-4 weeks.

77. kris says:

Linky-poo?

78. doritogrande says:

Fuck you gene principe. That mask could have actually been used for something productive.

Oh wait. It probably reduced the spread of shit coming from your mouth. It's all good man.

79. doritogrande says:

Did anyone else know that Mathieu Roy was playing for Columbus?

He's got 3 assists in 5 games, so says hockeydb.

80. doritogrande says:

Well. There's some chemistry.

Gagner scores!

81. doritogrande says:

Gagner (Penner, Hemsky)

82. PunjabiOil says:

LT's picture selection once again proves to be worthy.

83. PDO says:

What a shot by Samwise.

Penner again shows his deft hands around the net.

84. Yeti says:

Looks like we're coming out of the gate at half-speed again tonight.

85. Phil says:

Ladies and Gents, Sampensky

86. matty says:

Gagner proves that he's Pensky material.

87. doritogrande says:

Okay. Smac's had his shift. Can we please never see him touch the ice again today?

My ass was cringing with them in the defensive zone.

88. geowal says:

did Penner just show something that resembled anger? Crustiness?

Love it.

89. danny says:

the birth of Sampensky?

90. doritogrande says:

Can someone define "chip and chase"? It doesn't compute in my English-to-Oilers dictionary.

91. Icecastles says:

4 ex-Oilers playing for Columbus tonight. Wow.

I predict Garon getting rattled early and having a crappy game. Great goalie when he's on, but his confidence goes out way too easily.

Anyone know of a Sportsent feed online? The one on ATDHE is great, but wee bit of a Columbus bias on the announcing.

Lubo with a real nice block there.

93. PDO says:

Moreau continues to have negative offensive ability…

94. danny says:

Sam needs to go to the net there, looked like Hemmer wasnt impressed with him calling for the pass

95. doritogrande says:

I noticed on that last 13 rush that he's pretty easily stripped of the puck from a stick check. I may be off-base here, but it looks like he handles the puck very far out in front of him on those speed rushes. Anyone else think that this is an area of concern?

96. PDO says:

DG:

The Oilers are too smurf like to be able to dump, so instead they chip. Sounds cuter.

97. Phil says:

He looks like a faster Jarret Stoll.

98. doritogrande says:

We should have drafted Voracek over Gagner solely because of that sweet lid of hockey hair.

Goddamn. I'm horny.

dorito: Are you sure that's the wording you'd like to go with?

100. doritogrande says:

He looks like a faster Jarret Stoll.

Sold. I'll take the pre-concussion model, please.

101. doritogrande says:

dorito: Are you sure that's the wording you'd like to go with?

Pat's not here. Someone had to say it.

102. sean says:

Either Hemsky's colourblind or I'd say he's putting people offside on purpose.

103. doritogrande says:

Looks like 5 took LT's "arrival" post to heart, and decided to celebrate with a 3-day bender.

Jeeeeeez Ladi.

Bad pass Penner but a beauty coverage play by Gagner there.

105. PunjabiOil says:

MacIntrye career high has been 5 points, excluding the CEHL (What league is this). Steve has been in hockey business since 1997, but has no business being in the NHL.

The Edmonton Oilers drafted a guy who has a ceiling comparable to Steve MacIntyre. This, despite the fact there were were PPG or near PPG players available early in the 3rd round.

106. doritogrande says:

Fuck. Great outside speed by Voracek leads to that goal.

Grebeshkov got absolutely pylon'd.

107. PDO says:

Grebeshkov and Gilbert both looked bad on that goal.

108. kris says:

I started watching with like 9 minutes left and it's been ugly ever since.

109. PunjabiOil says:

Cocksucker, we were doing so well too.

110. danny says:

OTC would be very upset with Voraceks hairdo, however he should be focusing on Khabis rebound control.

111. Icecastles says:

Shit. What were the D-men doing there? A nice play by Columbus, but the 2 Gs looked stunned on that one.

112. PDO says:

Are the Oilers actually going short handed here?

Nilsson gets tripped, and a guy trips over him while he's down, and we get the penalty?

Really?

113. Icecastles says:

No, I think Columbus is getting the penalty.

114. danny says:

Anyone interested in taking a few hours to think up a superior advertising approach for Tim Hortons? Should be an easy pitch.

115. Phil says:

Columbus is well overdue for a pad PK game.

Back in the old days they wouldn't go to break until you knew who had the PP.

117. Icecastles says:

Goalie is without a stick! Quick, pass it to the point and spread out! Fucksakes.

And now it's a Pennerty. I mean penalty.

118. kinger says:

I've had about enough of 22 in his own zone.

119. doritogrande says:

6 Oilers with flu, 6 others with flu-like symptoms?

That's a fucking epidemic.

120. PDO says:

I think Cogliano has figured out how to keep his shooting % so high…

Either score, hit iron, or miss the net.

Voila.

6 with the flu, 6 with flu-like symptons and Kevin Lowe.

Mark of the beast? No?

122. Phil says:

I do believe that is Penner's first penalty this season.

123. kris says:

Oh yeah, the end of the period goal.

124. doritogrande says:

fitting that the fuckwad that is Raffi Torres picks a game against our team to do something productive.

Balls.

125. PDO says:

Rough period for Grebeshkov, he looked really bad on both CBJ goals.

126. Icecastles says:

What is it about ex-Oilers that makes them so likely to pot goals against their former team? Is this a common occurrence for guys playing their old teams, or do I just seem to notice it more?

127. McKenzie says:

Two goals on 37's shoulders.

128. doritogrande says:

LT:

Yeah, you'd think that would be considered an "emergency situation" and would allow for the Eberle call-up, no?

129. kris says:

I love Grebs, but if he can't get the errors out of his game, he's moveable.

130. kinger says:

I'm also having a hard time getting behind these lines. Looks like we have two that can play and two that are utter shit.

131. PDO says:

Everyone who is surprised that Doug Maclean doesn't know the difference between Horcoff's salary and his cap hit raise your hand.

132. Ribs says:

Gregor said they looked into it, Dorito. No go.

133. Icecastles says:

I love Grebs, but if he can't get the errors out of his game, he's moveable.

Agreed. He's looking more like he did two seasons ago than he did last season. An anomaly and a string of bad luck, or a sign of the *real* Grebeshkov?

134. HBomb says:

Good lord is Doug McLean an idiot. How did this guy ever have a job as an NHL GM?

What he just said about Gagner, Horcoff and number 1 centers, the whole thing sounds like something lifted off a fan-board (right down to the 7 million dollar comment about 10).

Moron.

135. doritogrande says:

Sportsnet really needs to do some research.

- Horcoff's caphit is what counts, not his actual salary.

- Dany Heatley has 6-6-12, not 6-2-8.

That's pretty weak, even for them.

136. HBomb says:

PDO: Beat me to it.

Dummy Doug might have to be the focus of a drunken rant on the "other" blog one night.

137. PDO says:

Oh, and Sportsnet this morning said that Horcoff makes "$7,000,000 a year."

Seriously, it takes 2 seconds to look it up.

It's blatantly ignorant.

I think I could create an IQ test pretty easily.

Q: What's Horcoff's cap hit?

138. Jonathan Willis says:

PDO:

I wonder what Marchant's cap hit was…

139. doritogrande says:

"Alex Hemsky."

A thought. Maybe someone within the Oilers organization has, through some avenue or another, pissed off every single hockey broadcaster in North America.

Kevin Lowe?

140. PDO says:

Fedorov's?

13-12-22 a disaster in their own zone all shifts.

Comrie looks like he could shit his pants at any moment.

Horcoff gets the puck when CBJ were running around in their zone, so he slows down the play and dumps it behind the net…christ.

Sampensky looks good, 83 has some jump.

Vis is the smartest player on the ice.

142. HBomb says:

Seriously, whomever gives half a damn about what a player's salary in any given year either is a) a fan of a team with a limited annual payroll in the 45 million dollar range or b) a complete dummy.

Oh, and an Angel implosion in the top of the seventh inning. Fucking Yankees. Go Phillies.

143. doritogrande says:

Just saw this on the sportsnet ticker:

Boston called up LW Giaumme Lefebvre from the AHL.

Guess that's why he couldn't be enticed to stay with the Oilers org.

Congrats to him.

144. FlamingPavelBure says:

Link for the game please =D

145. Dennis says:

Ok, here we go:

- Early on, 22 made a nice chip pass out of his zone but he also made that pass into 5's skate in their own crease and then he fucked up a chip that lead to another round of d zone pressure.

- 27 made two brutal short passes in his own end that once again hemmed us in.

- 37 didn't have a strong period and I'm surprised no one here referenced today's OTC Journal comments where he called that pairing soft. That sounded like that, unless they change or if he has a lot of influence, you'll see one of them moved.

- I took the over so we're well on our way to that;)

Finally, two thoughts about the baseball game and then just baseball in general.

1. You can't tell me that you don't hate John Lackey just by looking at him. I don't know anyone from Texas but from knowing how guys like Clemens and Beckett act, I would be able to tell you without previous knowledge that Lackey's a Texan. Guys that show up their teammates and coaching staff can go fuck themselves.

2. The neat thing about a Phils/Yanks WS is that right now you really can't imagine either one of those teams losing four times in a seven game series.

146. doritogrande says:

Sweet, they're still playing Sick by Bif Naked when the period starts.

Great girl-rock song.

147. Hockey Noob says:

Is it just me or is Comrie making Horcoff look like Ethan Moreau on the rush? Obviously if so, it doesn't bode well for Scorcoff.

148. McKenzie says:

That what weak

149. doritogrande says:

Shit. Well, better start finding beer.

He did it to Grebeshkov AGAIN.

150. PDO says:

Grebeshkov schooled for the third time tonight…

151. SK Oiler Fan says:

Patty caught staring at the puck carrier. Trailer was his

152. McKenzie says:

Whats the opposite of a hat trick?

153. Schitzo says:

Ouch, I hope Grebs has the flu

154. danny says:

I dont remember Comrie being such a poor skater.

155. doritogrande says:

Some things are just inevetible.

Penalty in the offensive zone.

156. McKenzie says:

Ethan in his comfort zone.

Ethan rifles, ethan rifles!

158. doritogrande says:

Danny:

He's got the flu something bad. Only one who's worse right now is probably Brule.

159. FlamingPavelBure says:

Get killed in own zone

Dump the Puck

Get killed in own zone

Dump the Puck

Get Killed in own zone

Dump the puck

Get…. thecaptainethanmoreau slashed

160. PunjabiOil says:

Than Moreau's traditional penalty in the offensive zone. This time behind the opposition's net.

161. PDO says:

That is a horse shit call on Lubo.

162. kinger says:

Even the CBJ team though that was a weak call.

163. Bar Qu says:

Moreau you tool

You know that old timey baseball phrase (Casey Stengel's) about there being 50 games you'll win no matter what, 50 games you'll lose no matter what, and the important games being the 62 that could go either way?

This has the look of one of the 50 that are long gone blue

165. doritogrande says:

Dustin Penner…wow.

166. PDO says:

…. how did CBJ not get a penalty there? Seriously, WTF? Penner was fucking molested.

167. kinger says:

Broadcast*

168. McKenzie says:

Where is the even up?

169. PDO says:

Seriously, you call Lubo for having 1 hand on his stick, but allow the CBJ player to shove his stick right into Penner's hands on a scoring chance?

That's unfuckingreal.

170. doritogrande says:

Game. Fuck.

171. SK Oiler Fan says:

What was that about ex-oilers?

172. PDO says:

So, instead of being on a PP, we get scored on.

Good job again Fraser.

Go fuck yourself.

173. Phil says:

Well, if they're going to lose, it might as well be over early so I don't have to waste my night.

Hello, Mythbusters!

174. doritogrande says:

Or…

Penner could score to give us hope?

175. Schitzo says:

Penner was all fucking business on that one.

176. Bar Qu says:

Love for Penner

177. gary b says:

hold the phone, T-bone.

178. kinger says:

This is depressing.

179. kinger says:

Still depressing.

180. Icecastles says:

fuck me! Feed froze for 5 seconds… the 5 seconds it took Edmonton to score. Though I guess there's something about gift horses and mouths….

Game is still imminently winnable. And a comeback win from 3-1 would be a hell of a statement. Though after the last 3 years, I for one am a bit wary of the so-called 'statement game'.

181. SK Oiler Fan says:

Horc's numbers aren't going to get any better shooting from the corner with no blue in front.

182. Bar Qu says:

More points earned for wins in statement games

183. doritogrande says:

That had better not be the even-up call.

184. SK Oiler Fan says:

Great momentum killer here. F'in clock

185. PDO says:

Should be a 5 on 3.

Kerry Fraser is terrible.

Post up at that other place.

186. SK Oiler Fan says:

That still shouldn't be the even up call. That one was obvious.

187. Kristopher Milligan says:

oh no another PP

There's no chance they win this game. Oh well.

189. PDO says:

LT just guaranteed an Oiler come back.

Stay tuned folks, this one is ending in a shootout.

190. doritogrande says:

Mathieu Garon now the only ex-Oiler on the BJs without a point.

191. PDO says:

JUST GIVE CBJ THE FUCKING PUCK AND GET A 5 ON 3 ALREADY!

God I hate that.

192. doritogrande says:

Jackets are trying to let us back in.

193. SK Oiler Fan says:

How does the down low ref not call that?

194. doritogrande says:

That's the ales hemsky we know and love.

Fuck Ya! Great feed from Lubo.

195. SK Oiler Fan says: