Changing of the Guard

This advertisement used to appear in sports magazines 40 years ago. I saw it again about a year ago when cleaning out some of my old magazines (my wife calls it “kindling” and I don’t think she’s joking) from many years ago.

It’s a funny ad, probably was then too but I didn’t pay much attention to it at the time. Looking back, it’s a reminder of a simpler, less concise period of time (you can’t find any ad with this many words in an English language publication).

I’m thinking we might be seeing the careers of a few Oilers and former Oilers winding down this season. The current roster boasts old timers Steve Staios, Ethan Moreau and Fernando Pisani all of whom have some injury troubles early this season.

Bill Guerin has a beauty big league job but shows many signs of aging, Ryan Smyth is in another new town, Doug Weight’s career is on its last legs. As crazy as it sounds, that late 1990′s Oilers team had some outstanding NHL careers ahead of them and just now they’re beginning to leave the stage. In the next year or so, Todd Marchant, Roman Hamrlik and Mike Grier will join Jason Smith on the sidelines.

On a somewhat related note, Mike Peca is unemployed but could help the Edmonton Oilers.

56 Responses to "Changing of the Guard"

1. Ed says:

He's not a 90's guy but I think Strudwick should be added to the list. He's what 34? and what happened to Staios last night brought back memories of Strudwick from a year ago.

2. Jenga says:

If only Peca were bigger.

3. Phil says:

Arnott's getting up there too – he's 35 on Sunday. Still putting up decent numbers, but he's taken a lot of punishment over the years.

4. bookie says:

We had some decent players here during some of those years, it just seldom came together for a playoff spot.

5. Bar Qu says:

And when the spot appeared, so did frickin' Dallas. Man I hate the Stars.

6. Black Dog says:

From 97 to 06 that club only missed the playoffs twice.

Of course once they got there, it was always Dallas.

A lot of quality players on those clubs. Its tough to see them fade away, with so few of them winning the Cup. And never winning it for the Oilers.

7. hunter1909 says:

Peca was fantastic in the 06 playoffs.

8. hunter1909 says:

Black Dog: Yeah sure, they made the playoffs. Then getting bounced time after time in "heartbreaking" fashion.

9. hunter1909 says:

I always hated seeing the Oilers play bitch to the Stars. Made me feel like a Winnipeg Jets fan.

10. Mr DeBakey says:

OT
    I've been reading one of the humour columnist Dave Barry's old books.
    [not the DMFB of live blogging from the Oiler's press box fame].
    Its a collection of his Miami Herald & syndicated newspaper columns from the late 80s.
    One made me think of all of you [us].

An excerpt:
    “…suppose you have a friend who, for no apparent reason, suddenly becomes obsessed with the Amtrak Corporation. He babbles about Amtrak constantly, citing obscure railroad statistics from 1978; he puts Amtrak bumper stickers on his car; and when something bad happens to Amtrak, such as a train crashes and investigators find that the engineer was drinking and wearing a bunny suit, your friend becomes depressed for weeks.
    You'd think he's was crazy, right?”

11. goldenchild says:

Didn't Quinn draft Peca?

12. Bar Qu says:

Didn't Quinn draft Peca?.

I bet there is a game out for our more obsessive types – Six degrees of separation from Quinn.

It is hard to see the old guard retire, sort of like in the 90's watching the original Oilers fade one by one. Harder with this group because so few won anything of any significance.

13. Bruce says:

I've made enough of an ass of myself talking about hockey on that last thread, so …

Doesn't Derek Jeter have the best timing of any team sport guy? Twins come into The New Yankee Stadium on about 10 minutes rest today — who runs the Yankees anyway? Sam Pollock?? — and in the early innings their pitcher is throwing seeds and then they put a couple runs on the board and they're actually in with a chance. Bottom of that inning, first guy gets on, Jeter comes up second and wham! it's 2-2 and instantly you know it's game over and who knows, maybe series over. Final was 7-2, but Jeter crushed the life out of them with one swing. First postseason homer in TNYS, no less; just another clipping for his bulging scrap book.

Go Cards!

14. Bruce says:

… although I never did say Stortini for MVP. Them's LT's words.

15. Phil says:

While we're on the topic of old Oilers fading away, LT, I was a bit surprised that you didn't have some sort of 'Sail On' post when Gelinas 'officially' retired this year, he being the last active player to win it all in Edmonton.

16. spOILer says:

The present Rich Dad Poor Dad scam ads are about as prolix as that one. Of course, the comic books had the bully kickin sand in yer face ads which were always good for a smile.

Speakin of the Stars back in the day, how many game does Modano have left in the old tank?

And add Maltby to the list of Oiers likely to retire shortly.

In the new cap NHL, Europe is sure to reap the benefits of getting fringe NHLers.

Speaking of Europe, I see Captain Thong is supposed to be starting against Ottawa and allegedly at the expense of one Jeff Tambellini.

17. spOILer says:

Bruce said…

Go Cards!

Carpenter doesn't look like he's got it tonight.

Watching the Habs lose to the Nyucks right now (how nice to get them on the 2nd night of a back to back, the bastardos).

18. boopronger says:

Loved that team in the late nineties. Marchant – Grier – Mcammond was the checking line iirc. They were fantastic in the series against Colorado shutting down Forsberg, Sakic and co. Doug Weight is my favorite Oiler of all time and on a line with Bill Guerin? If only that team could of stayed together a couple more years.

People talk about what an upset the Oilers were against Detroit in '06 but in my mind it was nothing like the Oilers upsetting Dallas in '97. That was truly David vs Goliath.

19. CrazyCoach says:

LT,

That looks like an advertisement for Charles Atlas' program. ordered that once, worked diligently on the exercises, then wrote him a letter asking if the box containing my muscles got lost by Canada Post.

It is sad to see those fellows all getting older. They brought many memories and a lifelong hatred of the Dallas Stars.

Yup, Pat Quinn drafted Peca, then sent him to Buffalo for Mogilny I believe. I still have Peca's Sudbury Wolves card if anyone is interested.

20. Bruce says:

spOILer: Nope. Carpenter has got neither movement not location. This could get ugly fast.

21. Bar Qu says:

The Sucks absolutely pummeling Montreal tonight. If Price has any self-worth left after tonight he is a better man than most.

22. Black Dog says:

hunter – true but they won playoff series in three of those years including the trip to the Final.

A far better clip than the present cast.

Habs will likely punish us because I have a big mouth but the loss of Markov has probably wrecked their season. Right out of the gate.

23. flamingpavelbure says:

Idk, it seems like a curse.

We never fucking win the Canadian west.

It's yippy fucking do when we play at home, but playing at Calgary and such, makes me feel like all the crap that can possibly happen do happen.

Weird rebounds, refs being bad etc.

Mike Leggo was terrible in Calgary, and he's still terrible tonight.

I mean it's been like… 100 minutes we go 0 powerplays, it's not freaking normal.

Anyways, Go Nilsson and Kostitsyn on the next game!

24. spOILer says:

Good sac bunt there by Carpenter. Never been a big fan of that overhand grip though.

25. spOILer says:

And it helps score a run! If Carpenter can settle down…

26. CrazyCoach says:

There's the Luongo we all know

27. Bruce says:

A far better clip than the present cast.

BDHS: I guess that depends on how you divide your eras.

The 1997-2006 Oilers did indeed win 5 playoff series, and the "present cast" haven't even hit the dance floor for 3 years.

… or …

The pre-lockout Oilers won 2 playoff series total in 12 years, and the post-lockout Oilers have won 3 in just 4 years.

… or …

The Chris Pronger Oilers won more playoff series in one stinkin' year than 15 years worth of Oiler squads before and since.

Spin it however you want. Optimist that I am :), I keep trying to see that glass as at least half full. So I prefer this one:

Since their entry to the NHL 30 years ago, the Edmonton Oilers have won more Stanley Cups than any other team.

5 , count 'em, 5 Cups, baby. :D

28. spOILer says:

Loaded bases and the Dodger starter is chased with a 1 run lead in the 4th.

29. spOILer says:

LT, I like Peca too, and he's actually a RH shot, but another Smurf?

Love Ray Ferraro, can he do all the games?

30. Art Vandelay says:

All I get out of that ad is that it's FREE. Other than than, my brain says "keep moving, too much work here."

The good guy in the photo looks as threatening as the bad guy. The entire ad is funny as hell if you read the words (I don't think the photo is clear enough even at 200%) but man what a chore to write that thing.

32. spOILer says:

Funny to hear Ferraro talk about Patrik Stefan without mentioning the "worst play he has seen in his life."

LT, I'd be okay with Peca, but it means another Smurf has to go.

And we haven't seen the PK yet with a healthy Pisani, Pouliot or Moreau.

33. SK Oiler Fan says:

I think Smytty has a bit left in him yet. He put up good numbers on a depleted Avalanche team last year.

He should have an even better year playing with Brown and Kopitar.

Watched a bit of LA, SJ last night. He's lost half a step and injuries are a concern, but he's still one of the best below the goal line and around the crease.

I think he's going to make Stevie Y think hard about cutting him from team Canada.

34. PunjabiOil says:

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned already: 3 goals and an assist for Eberle tonight. The team has been 4-0 since his return, and Eberle is just 2 points behind WHL scoring leader despite missing 4-5 games.

He now has 12 points in 4 games.

We wanted to see him take the next step forward? He's proving his PPG in the AHL at 18 was no fluke.

35. spOILer says:

He is doing like Cornet… with an out of this world shooting percentage?

36. bookie says:

Here is the ad in full glory, you can read every word

All I can say is it has the words "Japaniese Killer Cults Temple" and Weak in the Knees"

I think Quinn is giving this to the boys!

37. bookie says:

If you enjoyed that ad and are looking to relive the 70's via magazine advertisements, you can do so here

38. SK Oiler Fan says:

Yikes, Montreal could use a D-man or 3. If Price was almost crying last year, he'll be bawling this year if they don't get some D pronto.

It's too bad Montreal doesn't have the player the Oilers need.

Maybe Tambo could cook up a three way deal?

39. SK Oiler Fan says:

I don't think Quinn would keep Gomez, Gionta, Cammy together very long at evens.

Gionta is the only guy that gets within sight of the opposition net.

And according to Ferraro the Nucks are making fun of the whole line for being smurfs.

40. Icecastles says:

CrazyCoach said…
    There's the Luongo we all know

Not watching the game… I assume he's flopping around on the ice, grimacing in pain and clutching some body part like it's just been nearly severed? I don't care how good a goalie he is, I will never be able to get behind someone who dives as regularly as he does and acts like a Eurpoean soccer player every time he gets a little bump. Classless and cowardly.

41. Icecastles says:

SK Oiler Fan said…
    It's too bad Montreal doesn't have the player the Oilers need

Isn't Big Georges still in Montreal?

42. doritogrande says:

Uh, Regina lost tonight dude.

Seriously though, when did the WHL become the freaking Q? Two games tonight where the winner had >8 goals. The scores I've been seeing are absolutely bonkers.

Also, anyone know if Kytnar's injured? He's missed the last two games.

43. doritogrande says:

As an aside to my earlier comment, it's interesting to note that Eberle is leading the league in Shorthanded goals with 2 in 4 games.

We demoted a PKer?

44. DBO says:

dorito: no, i think he's only played the PK this year as Quinn and Co wanted him to go down and get better at all aspects, but specifically make the guys around him better. I think you can put him in our lineup next year, unless he falls completely off the road. And MPS is another one who will certainly be in the AHL, but may crack our lineup. So while crazy early, we need to move some bodies.

On a similar note, Dreger on TSN was talking abut the Blackhawks being in a huge jam next year with the cap, and how some good players will have to be dealt to clear space. he mentioned Barker and Sharp. Sharp would look really nice on 1LW and on our PK.

45. geowal says:

From 97 to 06 that club only missed the playoffs twice.

Of course once they got there, it was always Dallas.

I like to think, perhaps delusionally, that Dallas won only 1 cup instead of 2 or 3 in that time because of the "good fight" that they always faced against those Oiler squads. I distinctly remember after the 3rd or 4th time (2000?) one of the senior Dallas players saying "someone else can play them next year."

We'll always have Todd Marchant.

46. PDO says:

Not a good start for the Cards, but what a play by Pujols…

47. Hugh says:

Icecastle Says….

So I take it you weren't a big fan of rolie?

48. bookie says:

So I take it you weren't a big fan of rolie?

I was going to say something similar! Though Roli didn't do the hurt thing, he did the freak out angry thing – not so much pretending to be hurt, but rather dramatically emphasizing how horribly assaulted he had just been.

49. Bruce says:

Roli learned at the feet of the master, the one and only Dominik Hasek.

50. Icecastles says:

Quite the opposite – Roli was feisty as hell and didn't take any crap – big difference between that and a diver. I hated Roli's constant complaining to the refs, that's true. But he would never lay on the ice faking an injury to steal some rest time… that's what his magical vanishing mask was for. ;)

51. Ian says:

Ha, loved the ad.

There's no way you'd ever see "BECOME A DESTRUCTIVE SELF-DEFENSE TERROR FIGHTER" in an advertisement today..

52. NBOilerFan says:

Lowetide said…
    "Peca is small, but he'd certainly help the penalty killing and that alone is reason enough for his hiring."

Peca had a rough adjustment period here (partly because of a miscast role by coach) but did show is worth in the playoffs. But that was 4 years ago now. Is Peca still capable? Did anyone watch him last year? Perhaps the stats guys could check his numbers from last season because I have to wonder why he has not been signed and the first thing that comes to mind is that it's likely his time has past.

DBO said…
    "On a similar note, Dreger on TSN was talking abut the Blackhawks being in a huge jam next year with the cap, and how some good players will have to be dealt to clear space. he mentioned Barker and Sharp. Sharp would look really nice on 1LW and on our PK"

The same thing was mention on a Chicago blog on Monday with regard to how good some rookies have been playing and the need to move someone when Hossa is ready to go….

"I think Quenneville placed Toews and Kane on seperate lines with the addition of Hossa in mind. Arguments can be made for putting Hossa on either line combination. A pairing with Kane would free up ice for each of the skilled forwards. Matching Hossa and Toews also provides intriguing possibilities. Either way, Coach Q now has a couple of months to evaluate his new combinations. If the Bolland-Kane-Byfuglien line continues to mature into a potent trio, Toews will welcome Hossa as a new linemate. With Hossa added to the roster, no other team in hockey will match the Blackhawks top two lines.

Who is the odd man out? The choice will fall to Sharp and Versteeg. Both forwards are top six skaters. Even though he spent time on the fourth line during the playoffs, Sharp does not belong on the bottom tier. Steeger could fit on the third line, but I believe his stats would erode without skating along side someone such as Toews. Take your pick, but someone will have to go.

53. NBOilerFan says:

Whoops… I left off teh next paragraph from the blog quote above….

"Is Stan Bowman already contacting other GM's inquiring about available defenseman and goaltenders? By January, other clubs will have their choice of Sharp or Versteeg. You may not like parting with either player, but it's just the facts. A rash of injuries could change the plans, but that will be the only way Bowman doesn't pull the trigger on a midseason deal."

54. NBOilerFan says:

And Darryl Sutter continues to make small moves to strengthen his organization…

"The Calgary Flames have added some more depth to an already stacked blueline Wednesday by acquiring Aaron Johnson from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for forward Kyle Greentree."

Its not so much the deal, but the fact that Sutter continuely finds smaller deals as he moves forward taking baby steps toward improving the club.

55. Dennis says:

I mentioned this somewhere last week but it was a little jarring to see Comrie balding and with the older-age-fatter-face thing going on