Flames at Oilers, G1, 09-10

He was born in Big Beaver by the borderline
He started playing hockey by the time he was nine
His Dad took the hose and froze the backyard
And Little Buddy dreamed he was Rocket Richard
He grew up big and he grew up tough
He saw himself scoring for the (Oilers) Wings or Canucks
But he wasn’t that good with the puck.

Buddy’s real talent was beating people up
His heart wasn’t in it but the crowd ate it up
Through pee-wee’s and juniors, midgets and mites
He must have racked up more than 300 fights
A scout from the Flames came down from Saskatoon
Said “there’s always room on our team for a goon,
Son we’ve always got room for a goon.”

-Warren Zevon

I love the fall. When I was a kid, on a morning like this one, my Dad would tell us early on that it would be a day for raking leaves in the backyard. Back then (this is in small places in western Canada like Whonnock, Burns Lake, 100 Mile House and Maidstone) you could rake the leaves and then burn them in your backyard same day. It’s one of my favorite memories, a fall day raking leaves and then burning them and my Mom making something really good for supper.

Back then the Bugs Bunny Road Runner show came on one hour before Hockey Night In Canada, so my brother and I would watch it while eating and then we’d settle in for the game. We loved Bobby Orr, he was our hero and we got to see the Bruins quite a bit as kids because they were so damn good. But it didn’t matter who was playing (I always loved the 6 new teams, their uniforms were colorful and I had all the hockey cards so got to see the Bobby Sheehan’s and Bill Goldsworthy’s once in awhile) and between periods the two boys would run downstairs and play floor hockey. My brother was older, so he got to be Bobby Orr (life sucks, sometimes) and I’d always pick Yvan Cournoyer because my family couldn’t cheer for the Leafs “on account of they traded Frank Mahovlich” (you think I’m making this up, but it’s true).

I’m happy to see fall arrive and look forward to the winter time. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the things that tied us together in childhood and maybe why we hold on to them later in life.

It’s time to welcome back this beautiful game. It’s Hockey Night in Canada.

UPDATE: Lines and NEW pairings.
  • Horcoff-Jacques-Hemsky
  • Comrie-O’Sullivan-Stone
  • Brule-Penner-Cogliano
  • Gagner-Moreau-Stortini
  • Souray-Visnovsky
  • Grebeshkov-Gilbert
  • Smid-Staios
  • Khabibulin

607 Responses to "Flames at Oilers, G1, 09-10"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. mc79hockey says:

Andy strikes me as a reasonable sort

Save the momentary lapse in which he advocated for the insertion of Rob Schremp into the lineup in the 2006 SCF, yes.

2. bookie says:

Wow, our PK does suck…

Oh wait, we dont have a penalty

3. RiversQ says:

LT: That is better.

All the best.

4. Bar Qu says:

Thanks PDO,

like I said I just got in and hadn't seen the shot total – just the score.

5. quain says:

I'd argue the only issue with LT's defense is that he qualifies it oddly instead of just coming out and saying, "Lord, that was a bad signing."

Watching the Horcoff line, it's pretty clear that one of the forwards isn't very good. Play seems to die a lot in the offensive zone.

6. Icecastles says:

Showerhead: Indeed. Even one of my profs said to me a couple weeks ago when we were admiring the women (who outnumber guys 2:1 thanks to the fact that Interior Design is part of the School of Architecture now) that you don't have to eat out very often. :)

As to the drinking, apparently by the end of the year, Architecture Studio is basically a drunken den of sin most nights… and days… and during many classes.

7. danny says:

wtf is dennis?

8. Coach pb9617 says:

Rivers Q: Well, there's a bit of a difference. Andy strikes me as a reasonable sort and you strike me as someone who will go out of his way to stir the pot.

In an honest way.

Look, I spent several years arguing the Pronger deal and it seems to me that a lot of people never picked up on the fact that I argued that there were two portions to the deal:

1. The return.
    2. How the money was spent.

So, that ship has sailed. But the Khabibulin deal is different and I'm going to remind those who choose to rip me for the next 4 years that I did indeed say that:

1. I liked the player
    2. Didn't like the term
    3. Or the money.

10. RiversQ says:

The Oilers have been good tonight. If they finish behind they'll have a moral victory of sorts.

11. andy grabia says:

As long as he's rolling 4 lines, I don't think we need to worry about who is on them or the players they're out there against.

I always prefer good players over bad ones, myself. :)

I think the PK loses this game for the Oil, plain and simple.

And predictable.

13. Bruce says:

Was listening to the homers on Calgary radio, and have the Oil really been that bad defensively tonight?

Given that the Oil are outshooting the Falmes 30-16, it seems an odd position to take. That said, by my eye Grebs has been brutal, Smid and Visnovsky not a whole lot better, and only Souray and occasionally Gilbert have been prominent in a good way.

14. PDO says:

Oilers deserve two points tonight.

If they get them is another story, but it'd sure help if Ales Hemsky woke up.

15. doritogrande says:

SAM FUCKING GAGNER!

16. PDO says:

SAM FUCKING GAGNER!!!!!!!!

17. Bar Qu says:

The other thing I'll mention about the game is that the Flames have not been shooting so far

Gagner!

18. mc79hockey says:

Gagner should have passed. And he should trim those sideburns.

19. Icecastles says:

Gagner!!!!! How's THAT for crustiness, Coach Quinn!? I love it.

Sherlock Holmes brother: Sheer luck.

21. CrazyCoach says:

LT,

Do you think Sammy has had his ego stroked enough tonight? He's had more good shifts than bad ones tonight. Herer's to hoping this is the consistency we talked about the other day.

22. PDO says:

DG, I'm drinking Canadian because it was on sale and Keiths wasn't, but I think you and I have very similar thought processes… :-)

23. spOILer says:

Slo-mo of Gagner into the glass, hilarious.

24. bookie says:

I for one don't understand LT's longstanding Hate for Khabibulin and why he thinks Khabibulin's contract is a bargain!

LT-I hope it was obvious that I was being really sarcastic above and targeting RQ and Andy cause your point on this has been very clear.

Next time I will use < sarcasm > tags!

25. Bar Qu says:

Finishing thought

…the Flames have not been shooting the puck much this season. Perhaps that makes the Oil look good?

But then they tied the games i look stoopid again.

CC: I honestly don't know what the problem was with Gagner in the first place. Quinn is a veteran coach and must know what he's doing, but the things the coach said about the player really didn't fit for me.

So, we'll see.

27. PDO says:

Are we allowed to call the past few minutes of Khabibulin clutch?

28. bookie says:

Khabi!!!!!

29. Coach pb9617 says:

Sutter has seen enough of Jokinen. Conroy is back with Iginla.

I'm really happy that Olli still enjoys feasting on donkey testicles.

30. doritogrande says:

And I was actually drinking Johnny Walker Black tonight instead of beer. Got to love family gatherings where the host family doesn't have a clue what they're serving.

31. Bar Qu says:

Too funny coach

32. Bruce says:

Gargantuan goal. Some nice boardwork by Zorg early in the shift, good forecheck by Moreau to create some confusion, and nice finish by Gagner after the blunder.

'Bulin with some big stops these last few minutes, and Hemsky finally finding his skating legs. Things are looking up.

bookie: It's all good. Rivers Q is one of the most respected posters here, as is Andy. We don't march in lock step and we piss on each other all the time. It's all fair game. Did you notice Tyler slip in with a shot at Andy back there? Very typical.

We're all assholes. Except for Dennis. :-)

34. CrazyCoach says:

LT,

I hear you there. That was strange of the Mighty Quinn. Maybe it was his idea of the new sheriff in town act, but instead of coming across like Wyatt Earp he came across like Sheriff Bart from Blazing Saddles.

35. PDO says:

Stop being such a politically correct asshole LT.

You must be on a fucking Mac…

:D

36. Icecastles says:

Lowetide said…
    CC: I honestly don't know what the problem was with Gagner in the first place

Might be rose-tinted glasses on my part, but I think maybe it's not that Quinn doesn't like Gagner, but he beleives Gagner can be a star but that he must never take it for granted.

I compare him to someone like Hemsky who despite having insane skill and some fearlessness, has never become a top 20 scorer (hell, not even top 50 last year if I remember right). I think Quinn sees Gagner, not Hemsky as the real hope for the team offensively and wants to see every last inch of motivation, grit and drive out of him. And the only way to do that is to give him something to push against. If he starts throwing him in the PB for games, we know there's a problem.

37. flamingpavelbure says:

''We're all assholes''

Honesty : Priceless

:P

38. Coach pb9617 says:

We don't march in lock step and we piss on each other all the time.

Saw a show like that once.

39. Henry says:

After a shitty summer, this is the best day of the year.

40. doritogrande says:

Did anyone catch the reasoning behind using our time-out? Did we ice the puck or something?

41. mc79hockey says:

1. I liked the player
    2. Didn't like the term
    3. Or the money.

Just out of curiousity LT – leave the money and term aside – you get to pick any goalie in the NHL to play a big game that will be played tomorrow night. Where does Khabby fall on your list?

Off the top of my head, I'd say he's in a blob between like 13 and 20 on mine. I put the following guys ahead of him: Backstrom, Vokoun, Huet, Luongo, Thomas, Brodeur, Lundqvist, Giguere, Hiller, Roloson, Fleury, Lehtonen and Miller.

I'm not all that bullish on a lot of those guys. There are other guys who you can argue about too. I'm not trying to bait you here, but I have a hard time seeing what, exactly, there is to like about the player in terms of what he brings to rink. He seems to me to be to be averagish guy.

I've said it a lot but I buy what Holland said about there not being a ton of difference between the #6 goalie in the NHL and the #15. If you agree with that – and I think you do – then I have a hard time understanding what it is that you like about Khabby so much.

The term and money, of course, are horrendous.

42. Coach pb9617 says:

Staios can't be out with Hemsky.

43. PDO says:

Oh, and I stick to it.

Sam Gagner = Doug Weight.

44. Icecastles says:

After a shitty summer, this is the best day of the year.

So, so, so true. Like a number of us were saying last year, I'd rather see a loosing season of exciting, gritty hockey than a winning season of North Stars (I mean, uh, Wild) style hockey or even worse, don't-give-a-shit hockey.

45. doritogrande says:

O'Sullivan….fuck.

46. doritogrande says:

FUCK!!!!

47. mc79hockey says:

Timeliest post ever for me.

48. andy grabia says:

Khabibulin, FTW!!!

49. CrazyCoach says:

oh for fucks sakes!

50. Coach pb9617 says:

He's so bad.

51. Icecastles says:

I don't like the contract. Or the term. Or the player. As of right now.

52. danny says:

hahahahahahaa YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME!

NICE SIGNING LT!!!!!

53. Bruce says:

Henry: Not any more.

FUCK!!!

54. Icecastles says:

Apparently we signed Ty Conklin.

55. Scott Reynolds says:

That's terrible.

56. mc79hockey says:

FLAMESKILLER!

57. bookie says:

F#$% me! POS and Khabi!

Oh well, it was a good game, I am ok with the evening.

Khabi actually shoots it in himself.

58. mc79hockey says:

And on the very spot where Samsonov broke the Sharks.

59. doritogrande says:

I'm…out of emotion.

That hurt.

60. danny says:

What the hell was Conklin thinking??

61. CrazyCoach says:

Goddamnit, those are the kinds of goals that just deflate you.

62. Icecastles says:

Khabibulin with his first goal of the year. :P

63. Rick says:

Boy that sucked. What a crappy way to lose.

64. quain says:

Ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause for 2008-2009 Marty Turco!

65. mc79hockey says:

Does Kevin Weekes know that, if the Flames player gets to the puck before one of the Oilers, it's not an icing?

I mean, it's a hilarious loss, given the state of the thread here but I'm hardpressed to say that Khabby made the wrong move. He just did a shitty job of handling the puck.

66. Aram says:

fcking guy. i really miss roli. two soft goals, and an own goal. pissed off. merde.

67. Henry says:

Bruce,

I'm back to normal now.

68. Schitzo says:

Oh, it's going to be a long season

69. CrazyCoach says:

Ice Castles-Yeah that is true, maybe the MIghty Quinn sees Hemmer as the past and Sammy G as the future. Either way I believe Quinn and Co. will handle Sammy G way better than MacT ever did.

70. Showerhead says:

Well, time to take this healthy buzz and go get shitfaced. Again.

But this time it will involve less denim.

Fucking Nikolai.

Clearly, this not the best time for me to defend Khabibulin. :-)

But I will. I think he was the safest hire and as such can understand why Tambellini went after him. Please understand this is different than playing the market and making a "value" signing which they didn't do (the fellow in Colorado would look good right now).

Having said that, this is one night of the year and the Oilers did some good things this evening. Horrible loss, though.

72. Oilmaniac says:

that was pathetic…
    very…

73. Bruce says:

POS with 6 shots on goal, all muffins, and 3 misses on his 3 best opportunities, all from point blank range. Not impressed.

And 'Bulin does his best Ty Conklin impersonation in his first fucking game. Last minute, tie game, the whole spiel.

Iwishiwishiwishiwishiwish we could get a goalie who could handle the fucking goddamned puck. Amateur hour.

74. Smarmy Boss says:

Happy with the effort. The game was sort of a storyline of the how the season will go. Ups and downs with heartbreak at the end.

75. bookie says:

Anyone who makes too much out a goalie mishandeling the puck in the first game of the season is missing perspective.

This was a great game, the Oilers dominated. As soon as we solve our PK problem (within weeks I bet) this team will be targeting 6th place.

76. Rick says:

Nice job lazily skating back, Souray. Had he given any pressure on the skater that wouldn't have happened.

Yet again our defenders are much more concerned about moving the puck up than actually defending in their own zone…

77. Oilmaniac says:

brutal..

78. PunjabiOil says:

Very crushing defeat. Khabibulin literally had no chance on the first 3 goals, but this last blunder was nearly unforgivable.

We'll see if they carry on this play over the next little while, but initial signs were encouraging.

Was Comrie benched in the third?

79. quain says:

Thank goodness, we finally have our own Kipper. If only our forwards had scored more goals, we wouldn't have lost the game!

80. mc79hockey says:

People I'm looking forward to watch the Oilers slowly break over the course of the year: bookie.

81. PunjabiOil says:

What are you talking about?

82. Coach pb9617 says:

You are the internet's only pollyanna troll. You have to be.

83. CrazyCoach says:

And all of you dipwads giving LT the gears about the Khabi signing, don't forget what you said further down the road this season. I suppose the goal going in off Smid was Khabi's fault to? How about O'Sullivan's 5 missed chances?

84. doritogrande says:

Was Comrie benched in the third?

I think he was swallowed up by the actions of one Sam Gagner.

85. Icecastles says:

What are you talking about?

The hockey game would be my guess.

86. Bruce says:

Wow, if you want to blame that one on Sheldon Souray he must have a great big fucking target on his back. The goalie has to whack that thing into the corner. Period.

87. Coach pb9617 says:

The people on LT about the signing have four year's worth of even strength save percentage and short-handed save percentage to give gears with.

Tonight's acid trip to the right circle is simply anecdotal evidence that brings humor and perspective to some really, really shitty numbers.

88. spOILer says:

He only got about a minute.

89. Hockey Noob says:

Wow, what and ending!!! Absolutely brutal…

90. mc79hockey says:

I won't. And, really, in the NHL as it is now, you can't really say that you think it was a good move except for the term and contract.

LT is telling us why the front office might have felt that they had to do the deal. The fact that there's a rationale doesn't excuse the fact that it's a stupid one.

91. danny says:

All you can do is laugh. Priceless.

Hopefully the hysterical way to lose doesnt deflect focus on special teams role in that loss.

92. kris says:

I'm mad at Khabi, too.

But I think this trend of taking shots at a poster's previous position on player X when player x has a bad game is pure garbage. It poisons the atmosphere here; it makes the arguments less about truth and evidence and more about BS posturing. It takes honest, informed debate and turns it into
    competition.

I mean if you're a Horc defender, how agitated do you get when someone, I won't say who, says something like, "Look at Horc. He didn't score tonight. What do you fools say about him and his 7MM contract now?"

There'll be a time and place to evaluate the Khabi signing. It's not now. When it is time, it's best to analyze what was wrong with the signing, what we didn't see then and what we did.

I'm not saying Andy or Rivers did that, but I want to point out that this sort of thing is what can ruin a blog.

If I want, "I told you so's", I can talk to my family. :)

93. oil dude says:

Well that sucked but it I had that feeling the whole night that no matter how much the Oil outplayed the flamers they would blow it on a stupid/unlucky play. Flames usually dominate us but this game the Flames had nothing going. Lucky goal on Vis jitters, lucky goal on Smid deflection, lucky goal last minute. The Oilers beat the flames on Thursday for sure.

94. spOILer says:

They really did play pretty good, some great pressure at times, but finish was a problem, the PK was a problem, and Khabibulin apparently suffers from extreme dizziness and blackouts down 3 gallons of water..

95. spOILer says:

Curious to see how Quinn frames the loss.

96. doritogrande says:

Holy shit. Those are the guys from Mudmen. Great Toronto celtic rock band.

Gagner got 6 shifts in the third period, 1:02, 1:18, 0:50, 0:22, 0:17 and 1:04. Total: 4:53.

Comrie got 3 shifts in the third period, 0:51, 0:34, and 1:44. Total: 3:05.

At a guess that final shift seemed very long (it happened at 8:26 of the 3rd) so maybe there was a message sent. Monty works in strange ways.

98. striatic says:

The Oilers played well. Better than the Flames at even strength.

Unfortunately Hockey isn't a game that isn 't played entirely at ES, and so they lost.

99. CrazyCoach says:

Like Homer Simpson said to Kent Brockman, "oh anybody can make their point with stats. 42% of people know that!"

Besides, need I remind anyone in here, Edmonton has become the new Winnipeg in today's NHL. Kind of hard to sign players when they don't want to be here. We certainly don't know of the many deals that fell through behind the scenes.

100. kris says:

Of course, it's always fair game to say player X sucked tonight, in that he didn't do such and such.

101. Scott Reynolds says:

On the plus side for Khabibulin, he did make a couple of really good saves in that third period.

On the plus side for the Oilers, they played with some real verve in this game. It reminds me some of the Leafs last year where there was some healthy internal competition and "crust" was essential to staying in the lineup. I doubt it pushes the Oilers into the playoffs, but it should make them more fun to watch.

102. Icecastles says:

I agree, but I know what LT is driving at.

If the Bulin Door is the difference maker in getting us to the playoffs, then it's good we have him. Either he plays well or he doesn't, either we make the playoffs or we don't. It's not as if save percentage is calculated by number of saves over number of shots faced divided by how much money the goalie is paid. And you can't argue that he's not a good goalie this year because he might not be a good goalie in four years.

103. Coach pb9617 says:

There'll be a time and place to evaluate the Khabi signing. It's not now.

Correct, that's the day it was made.

If you wait and see, results-oriented thinking kills puppies.

104. RiversQ says:

Tough loss. The Oilers did do some good things and deserved at least a point if not the win. I do think the Flames are probably better than that showing though. Likewise the Oilers usually get more out of Hemsky.

Nevermind tonight, I will not be eating my words on Khabibulin. That deal was like mortgaging the house and putting it all on 28 Black. Congratulations if you win, but you're still a total moron. In the Oilers' case they're locked into that same bet and spin of the wheel for four years.

105. CrazyCoach says:

Overall though, I thought the OIl played well and thought the Flames were lucky to win. All those pukes in the visitors dressing room know it, and hopefully all the boys in the home dressing room know it to.

Horcoff was unreal on the dot. SAmmy G gave a wonderful performance.

106. Coach pb9617 says:

You've packaged it all in one post. Bully for you.

107. Icecastles says:

CrazyCoach said: Let me put it to you in statistical terms. LA is +30 in January, Edmonton is -30. As a millionaire, where you rather play?

Depends if you're the type of player who sweats so much that you need holes drilled in your skates and occasionally can't finish a game due to dehydration…

108. quain says:

I can't figure out what other occupation offers the same kind of privilege that goaltenders get. You can't just call the goalie a fuck, you need to blame everyone else and then say, "golly, he probably would've wanted that one back though."

The closest analogy I can find is being a pretty dumb girl in a bar.

109. Bruce says:

Say, Rick, have a look at the end-zone replay. If you want to blame a defenceman for not challenging Moss, it's Gilbert. Moss came down his side, Tom just let him go and never even attempted to skate him off or keep up with him at all. Souray peeled off only when Khabibulin came out to get into position to receive the "pass". He presumably expected his goalie to make a play like an actual professional hockey player.

That said, I don't blame Gilbert either. That was just a pathetic play by the Big Signing. In Staples' terms, it's an Unassisted Error. What a shitty way to lose his first game.

110. Icecastles says:

"It's not criticism to put people down." Pat Quinn is mean. And I hope he never criticizes me.

I'm getting asked some questions tonight, let me throw one out to the group.

If Khabibulin duplicates his numbers from one year ago (42 games, .919) would you consider that to be a good season?

112. CrazyCoach says:

Wow tough crowd. I guess Khabi has become the new Corey Cross.

Moreau is the happiest guy in the world right now.

113. oil dude says:

Look at the sweat on Weekes forehead. Ha

114. quain says:

Kelly Weekes needs to drill holes in his loafers, he apparently loses 8-12 pounds per interview.

115. magillicuddy says:

we used to use the plastic fruit off of my grandmother centerpiece on her dining room table. apples and oranges worked best but you could use a banana if you had to.

116. bookie says:

Hey man, it's hockey, the minute I lose hope, I am going to give it up. Its an escape from real world stress for me, not a cause.

Besides, I'm Tigger, I don't break, I bounce!

117. spOILer says:

Can't remember the last time I owned a 3 piece suit. 1983?

118. mc79hockey says:

In a vacuum? Yes. In the context of a team where the backup goalie is JDD? Nope.

119. kris says:

Coach,

We know it's an overpay, and we knew that at the time. But there's still the question of how much of an overpay it was. To answer that we need to know whether Khabbi's ES SV% told the whole story about how good -or rather how poor- a goalie he is.

You can say that ES SV % is all there is to figuring out how well a goalie will perform in the future. I'm not so sure how projectable the number is, and if it's not projectable it doesn't tell the whole story.

We'll see. Just not for at least 6 weeks.

120. mc79hockey says:

This doesn't really take into account the fact that they don't have a backup goalie who they trust. In that respect, it's like phoning your boss and telling him to go fuck himself while the wheel spins.

121. bookie says:

LT – Are you satisfied with the re-signing of Peter Puck, or do you think he is taking valuable time away from people like Hrudey?

122. Icecastles says:

No. Simply for the number of games played. To put it into starker contrast, imagine a goalie playing eight minutes in a single NHL game his whole life, and never being scored on. He would retire with a perfect save percentage.

Sample size matters, and given what he's being paid and the unknown (but uninspiring) quality of the backup, he needs to get more than 42 games. Way more. And I don't know if that's going to happen.

Tyler and Icecastles: Thanks. I wanted to make sure I understand where everyone was coming from.

124. Scott Reynolds says:

This team is toast if Khabibulin only plays 42 games.

125. bookie says:

I am anxiously awaiting my onion on your belt question!!

126. Rick says:

I'm trying really hard not to criticize Gilbert.

And you're right about Sheldon, it wasn't his man.

I guess when a play is that ugly, you sometimes need to point fingers. Maybe this is a good thing – Khabi won't go out of the net so far any more this year…

Much better effort from the Oilers than I expected tonight, let's bring the same fire vs. Dallas and take some revenge in Calgary.

My wife likes Kelly Hrudey, so less time for him is good. :-)

128. kris says:

MC,

???

Wouldn't that be a good season for Khabibulin even if JDD goes 42 games and 0.850.

I mean it might be a bad season for the Oil…

Forgive if I is no get you nooanced subtle point.

129. Coach pb9617 says:

Not even close.

130. CrazyCoach says:

Bookie-It all depends on what Peter Puck's stats are.

131. mc79hockey says:

kris – No. It's not the role he's here to fill. I know LT wants to divorce the contract from the player but you really can't beyond something like my example above where he gets to pick a single goalie for a single game – tell me how ofter than happens.

The Oilers need a guy who they can reasonably expect to play 60. I don't see how Khabby is that guy. The fact that his dehydration problem was news was also pretty thoroughly uninspiring.

132. oil dude says:

Oake asks his second personal health question of the night. What an interviewer!

133. Icecastles says:

Oilers: already in 11th. Hahahaha

(I know it means nothing. But it's funny)

134. PunjabiOil says:

The worst part is the wait until Tuesday to redeem themselves.

Plenty of positives tonight to build on. I'd still like to see Nilsson there next game, and considerably less time for Stortini.

Interesting that Brule played as much as he did today (similar minutes as horcoff on ES).

I think that's another difference we have with regard to Khabibulin, Tyler. Aside from the idea that you can't divorce the contract and term from the goalie (which I dismiss and you embrace), there's the matter or reasonable expectations.

You're going to be disappointed in 42 games and a .919 SP and I believe that's the outer marker. That's a clear difference.

136. bookie says:

Oilers: already in 11th. Hahahaha
    I know it means nothing. But it's funny

Actually…not really. What type of humour did you think it fell into cause I just can't see it, and I really like funny.

137. hunter1909 says:

Oilers would have won if Schremp was on the team.

138. Coach pb9617 says:

We'll see. Just not for at least 6 weeks.

I'm not sure how many more times I can chastise results-oriented thinking.

Results-oriented thinking makes bad goalies wander around the ice and make terrible plays with their sticks.

139. mc79hockey says:

I'll amend my answer a little bit. If the Oilers got the performance level that LT suggested, you can't really bitch about the contract. It's high but buying wins from goalies is still dirt cheap. It, of course, doesn't mean that there weren't better goalies out there.

With that said, it would not surprise me in the least if Khabibulin's MM$/SPAR ended up being in excess of $1MM over the course of his contract, which is a brutal and horrific financial anchor.

Coach: So, you're saying save percentage is bad?

141. bookie says:

I think we need around 60 games out of Khabibulin for him to be worth the pay this season, unless he has s tremendous mentorship effect on others.

142. mc79hockey says:

I'm not going to be disappointed in that LT – I think it's a very good season. I just don't think that it ends up in a very good season for the Edmonton Oilers. I do agree that it's an outer marker for him though.

I'm interested in very good seasons for the Edmonton Oilers. The reason I loathe this move so much is that I have great difficulty in seeing even his outer markers result in good things for the Oilers.

143. kris says:

MC:

The only guy in the league who went 60 and 0.919 last year was Backstrom.

That's pretty tough criteria to meet.

How about 55 and 0.907? Pretty good considering our PK and lack of defensive forwards, defensive D-men.

144. Icecastles says:

From The Edmonton Journal site:

Sam Gagner took his role as an energy player to heart and got into a second period dust-up with Craig Conroy. It was the first career fight for both fist-throwers.

Bad enough if the CBC gives an erroneous stat like that, but the Journal? Amateur.

145. quain says:

If 42 games and .919 SP is the high-end we can expect from Khabibulin then I don't like the goalie, the contract, or the term.

And we're not building a super team here, you can't divorce players from their contract, because you can't have Khabibulin, Heatley, Spezza, Iginla, Lidstrom, Souray, Thornton, and fifteen other elite, high-priced players on the same team.

Here's a question: Would you rather have Khabibulin or Roloson and Cogliano? Because ultimately the choice is going to look like that.

146. Bruce says:

Plenty of positives tonight to build on.

PJO: On this we agree.

I'd still like to see Nilsson there next game,

On this we agree.

and considerably less time for Stortini.

On this we don't. Why on earth are you targeting this guy? I can think of half a dozen forwards who did less, with more ice time.

Well now hold on there a second, Tyler. You're saying that my original idea (that he duplicates his SP over 42gp) would be reasonable and then suggest you wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't deliver.

What we're talking about here is reasonable expecations on the day he signed. I believe Tambellini, of sound state of mind, may well have decided that .919 and 42 were good numbers and then reasonably pursued the player.

Would you agree, that based on an agreed upon strategy (by that I mean that the Oilers under Tambellini weren't looking for "value" but rather a "name" and "coming off a good season") that Khabibulin would in fact have been an attractive candidate?

Using that criteria?

148. quain says:

We'd be paying $4MM for the 30th best goaltender in the league. So, no.

149. PunjabiOil says:

His foolish penalty tonight single handedly killed an Oilers scoring chance, and eventually lead to the Oilers GA.

I don't mind Stortini if he's utilized properly (i.e. 3-5 minutes per game and a victim of a shorter bench later on in the game)

150. Icecastles says:

Funny because after one game they are in the same place they ended last season. Funny because we are so terrified for our fragile little team. Funny because I'm reading things into a completely meaningless stat based on one game played.

Funny the same way that you can't help but laugh wen you loose your only rope on the top of a mountain and you know that while a lost rope on the ground is no biggie, that given the circumstance that lost rope could eventually be the indirect cause of your death and the only coping mechanism left is hysteria.

151. mc79hockey says:

The only guy in the league who went 60 and 0.919 last year was Backstrom.

In terms of value, 42 and .919 is sort of like 60 and .912. If he did that, I'd be impressed. He's topped .912 once since 2001-02 and 60+ games twice.

152. spOILer says:

I can't put all my pennies in the save percentage piggy bank. I like it better than GAA, but have difficulty believing there is no system or team effect. Enough to be significant? I expect we'll get the answers to those questions as time goes on.

And there have been plenty of pitchers with good stats but can't handle the starting job or closer. And there are good closers who can't handle the innings of starters.

I didn't mind the player at the time, but would've preferred they offered less and picked up a quality value guy to split the duties, especially as we are learning more about Khabibulin.

And I worry that the "braintrust" did not do their due diligence on this buy. This dehydration thing… how many back-to-backs is Khabeeb gonna be able to handle? How many total games? How mentally strong can he be at the end of games? Is it worth it to risk enough dollars that the bet can't be hedged because you have no available capital?

Then to see this massive gaffe… I hope these guys are strong enough to put it behind them and come out the same way next game.

We've seen efforts like this under MacT, but no sustain. Let's see how the first month goes.

BTW, Quinn did confirm during Scott Oake's Awkward Hours that he cut down to 3 lines in the third.

153. PunjabiOil says:

POS with 6 SOG tonight. If he's ever going to take the next step in his NHL career, he's going to have to start burying those chances.

Still, an encouraging game by him tonight and this is the type of performance we will need more of from the 2nd line.

154. mc79hockey says:

Using that criteria?

Yes I would. In the same way that I'd agree that, if you ignore the possibility of killing someone, driving is a fine way to get home after a night at the bar when you're blowing a 0.25.

Would you agree with me that shopping for a "name" who is "coming off a good season" is an insane way to go out about your business, particularly when said "name" is 36, has health problems and could really only be said to be "coming off a good season" twice in the last nine years?

155. Bruce says:

Coach: So, you're saying save percentage is bad?

I'm not Coach, and I'm not saying Sv% is bad, it's probably the best individual stat we have for measuring goalie skill. But it's incomplete, cuz it doesn't measure things like puckhandling and organizing the defence. And so far, in a three-game sample of Khabibulin's "skills" in these areas, I am officially terrified every time he touches the puck for the remaining 3.99 years of his contract.

We need some stability back there, goddammit. Nothing discombobulates a defence faster than a shaky sweeper.

156. mc79hockey says:

It's probably a good thing that I'm in a trial for another two weeks and then in Europe for 2.5 because the hope around the 'Sphere and deluded belief that Pat Quinn will magically fix things is going to drive me nuts.

CBC should totally start calling it that.

Tyler: Again, we're using your evaluation methods for things like "coming off a good season" and that's not really what I'm asking you about at this point (not trying to be an ass, you know what I'm doing).

I think the disconnect for you comes in the evaluation of talent. Your methods are (and I've suggested this before) miles ahead of the ideas NHL general manager's are using at this time. I don't think anyone should be shocked by this, after all a mid-80's study on platoon advantage caused forward thinker Bill James to crap himself when he ran the numbers.

I believe you're right, Khabibulin was not close to being the best signing of the summer. I also believe that Steve Tambellini could have done far worse and in fact the real problem is that he has no safety net when injury and ineffectiveness arrive for Khabibulin.

But, if we're going to indict Steve Tambellini for criminal conduct while on the job, we should probably compare his hiring criteria against other general managers and not against your theories.

Otherwise, we're flushing context.

158. Bruce says:

That was a cheap call IMO, he was finishing his check and his stick never entered into it. The hit was what created the scoring chance in the first place.

Stortini was on the ice in the last half of the third period, his line scored to tie the game, and he finished the night +1. I know, results-oriented thinking, but he had a strong third period, and his line was forcing the action along the boards in Calgary's end.

On Gagner and Moreau's last shift, Quinn used O'Sullivan in Stortini's spot, and POS's brutal drop pass inside his own blueline resulted in Gagner making an emergency clearing pass into his own bench (very nearly a puck-over-glass penalty)followed by two faceoffs in our end and lots of pressure. Given the same opporutnity, Stortini probably wouldn't have done anything overly creative, but I am certain he would have got the fucking puck over the fucking blueline.

159. Scott Reynolds says:

Not to argue for Tyler here but a few things on this in particular.

1. What kind of signing do you think Tambellini could have reasonably made that would have been far worse? Are there any goalie contracts given out this past summer that you think are worse than Khabibulin's?

2. Does not the lack of a safety net behind Khabibulin also fall to Tambellini and the "goaltending" plan that the team had for the summer?

160. PunjabiOil says:

To be fair, it could be reasonably argued MacT's final year as coach of the Oilers was filled with blunders.

The new systems employed by the new coaching staff, along with [expected] development from the young players could theoretically push the Oilers into a playoff spot.

Fans are hoping the change will be akin to Andy Murray. Hard to fault fans for showing optimism at this point of the year.

161. mc79hockey says:

Fair enough. I think by any method though, it would be agreed that three of his last four seasons sucked.

I don't know how you can get into this with tasting the forbidden fruit of "contract" and "term".

As far as how Tambo should be measured – I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to be better at this than me. I'd love to believe he is and he certainly has forgotten way more about the game than I'll ever know but Adam Smith was writing about markets hundreds of years ago. Lots of NHL GM's understand that, at the very least. Tambo doesn't even seem to get that. That, to me, is criminal.

Scott: Yes, I believe there were several goalies available that could have come to Edmonton and been poorer deals. There was a rumor that EDM was negotiation with ANA for JS Giguere (6M over 2 seasons) which would have required assets heading the other way.

The Oilers had a poor off-season imo, but Khabibulin was at least an established player in a position the Oilers were extremely vulnerable. And I know we don't have to worrying about "covering your ass" but Tambellini does and I'm certain that was part of it as well.

Tyler: Let me ask you, do you think that Brian Burke spent wisely this summer?

164. bookie says:

The problem with predicting how big of an impact the coaching change will have comes down to measuring MacT.

The challange with measuring MacT is we only have one long sample to draw from. He either underperformed with the teams constructed by Oiler Management or overperformed and we really do not know.

We could make ample arguments, but all have a great number of assumptions that cannot be well supported.

This replace MacT with Quinn-Renney is about as close as you can get to an 'experiment' in the real world of coaching. Even then, its hard to factor in things like sophomore years, etc…

In the end you need to rely upon value judgments by experts. I am not sure that there is consensus with regards to MacT on that front.

165. spOILer says:

Only Smid had less ice time than Lubo tonight for the D.

166. bookie says:

The difference between armchair management and real management is HUGE!

167. mc79hockey says:

…do you think that Brian Burke spent wisely this summer?

Not particularly. My sense was that he was throwing too much money at non-superstar players. I liked the Kessel move though.

168. PDO says:

Tyler..

You liked the Kessel move?

Really?

They gave up a lottery pick for him. And gave up a first pick for no reason – they offer him the same deal, he signs it, and either Boston is SOL in regards to the cap, or you get Kessel for a 1st instead of a 3rd…

169. mc79hockey says:

Well, that's a shame if he's making moves with one eye on the move and another on the PR. It's probably true but it's certainly disappointing. Win games and nobody will care about the headlines. Lose them and nobody will care what they were saying in July. The season is not won by a favourable story in the Journal on July 2.

170. PDO says:

Sorry, 3rd instead of a 1st. Beer works, and all that.

171. Scott Reynolds says:

LT: I appreciate the example but – and it of course depends on what we're required to send to Anaheim – I would be quite happy with Giguere over Khabibulin. The track record suggests a better player and the term is less devastating. If we're talking about good assets going to Anaheim then that's problematic but if instead we're talking about moving Staios and/or Moreau for Giguere I think it's preferable.

I do understand the "covering your ass" angle and agree that at least part of signing Khabibulin is being able to look at his superiors and say that he signed "the best guy." That said, another general manager with the same situation in terms of needing to cover his ass and needing a goaltender decided he could make a case for Craig Anderson to his superiors.

172. quain says:

LT: Scott asked about signings, not possible pie in the sky trades.

Also, well, post lockout:
    Giguere: 55GP 0.913
    Khabi: 50GP 0.903

You'd have to show me the trade, and I have a lot of options I'd rather pursue first, but I can't say that I'd rather have Khabi over Giguere.

And since we're going to ignore term and contract, I'd much rather than Giguere.

173. quain says:

Christ, it's late. Those are averages per season.

174. PDO says:

And… Stone was very invisible, outside of one hit. Too slow.

175. spOILer says:

Problem is, we don't know if Anderson would have played here, but it also doesn't seem like the Oil pursued any one other than the household name.

Was the brand name signing also PR for getting Heatley to come here?

And didn't we think at the time that Khabeeb was signed for his "playoff cachet" and that there would be some efforts towards improving the personnel so said cachet might actually be relevant?

176. mc79hockey says:

I didn't.

177. spOILer says:

PDO, he had 3 hits, broke up a couple of plays with good positioning. Did some good things, did some poor things. Was unlucky with the minus, but also failed to kill off his half of a PK.

178. spOILer says:

MC, you didn't think Tambo signed Khabeeb for his playoff cachet, or you didn't think Tambo could improve the roster after that asinigning?

179. mc79hockey says:

I don't think that that signing had anything to do with whether he could improve the roster afterwards, except that it left him with less money to do it.

180. Scott Reynolds says:

I can't think of any good reason that Anderson wouldn't come here if the opportunity and money were the best. The dude's an American who went to Guelph at age 17 to play junior hockey instead of going to college presumably because it was best for his career.

As for Khabibulin's playoff cachet, I don't see it. He's only had one playoff season in the last four seasons (five years) and his play wasn't exactly a resounding success.

181. spOILer says:

Scott, I think that to a GM a SC winning goalie would have some cachet in that area.

182. striatic says:

i'm not sure i understand the focus on Khabibulin right now. Yes, he botched the play that cost us the game, but plays like that happen sometimes. Otherwise he had a decent, unremarkable performance that kept his team in the game as they clawed their way back from an early deficit.

the continued poor performance of our special teams is much more worrying in my mind. 2 systematic failures on the PK and a largely ineffective PP are more telling and present a larger sample size than a bad break from a goalie handling the puck.

183. spOILer says:

This doesn't make it true though. But as I said above, it didn't seem like the Oil even pursued any other options (other than maybe Roli).

184. PunjabiOil says:

On what grounds do you make this assertion?

In Edmonton, Biron gets to be a starter, plays on a better team, and has a better chance to improve his next contract propsects.

I hated the Khabibulin deal from the outset, and would have preferred to retain Roloson (he indicated he would have signed if he was offered 2 years). To take a hard stance at an old goalie, and then come out and sign a slightly younger goalie to a 4 year contract makes no sense.

That said, for better or worse, we're stuck with Khabibulin. I suspect he'll provide solid goaltending over the next 2 years, and will push 60 games. We'll see.

185. spOILer says:

"Would Biron have played here for $1.5M? Probably would have for 3.75M, but not sure we can say he would've been the same value contract to us as the Isle's got."

On what grounds do you make this assertion?

Assertion? It's quite obviously a denial of an assertion, that we cannot know what Biron would have taken for salary to play in the sticks, albeit for a better team.

We also don't know what salary he would have taken for a longer term and it seems from the length of Khab's deal that a longer term length and stability at the position was something Tambo wanted.

186. Scott Reynolds says:

I guess Ken Dryden turned him down first then?

This doesn't make it true though.

I'm not trying to say that I know for a fact Anderson – or anyone – is or is not willing to come here, only that it's far more reasonable to think that he would than that he wouldn't.

True. Ultimately it's the (lack of) improvement in our special teams that will determine how much this team is able to improve. The Oilers were a pretty average EV team last year which will be difficult for them to improve upon. The PK, on the other hand, was awful, and a move to the middle of the pack (call it 77.5 to 82.0) probably gives them an extra 10 to 15 goal differential.

187. Bruce says:

He beat the fucking Flames and he beat the fucking Canucks. If he did that in Oiler blue "resounding" wouldn't be a strong enough word.

He's won 6 of his last 7 playoff series, including a couple of 2-1 Games 7 in the ECF and SCF. I'd call that cachet, albeit well past its best before date.

188. Scott Reynolds says:

You know Bruce, it's a lot easier to win the series when you're on the better team. He himself didn't beat anybody. I know you're not a fan of "save percentage only" analysis but I think we can agree that (1) anything below .900 in the last ten years means you've done poorly and (2) Khabibulin's non-save skills aren't elite.

189. bookie says:

If you guys keep arguing, you are going to take this thread over 600 and thats pretty impressive!

190. spOILer says:

Scott, I wasn't aware that Ken was still playing. :o)

And remember we're not talking about your opinion here, but what Tambo's might be.

As for Anderson, y said if we offered Anderson more money and guaranteed a starting role, than it is more likely he would sign here.

I agree with that for him and Biron, the question is how much more money, what would the teerm be and who's your backup and how much do they cost?

But at least you obviously agree we can't say the same contract Anderson got with the Avs, as PJO seems to be asserting (nyuk) with Biron.

191. quain says:

Nearly five times as many comments on this GDT than OilersNation. Stick a Rogers logo in the background and you should be generating more revenue for far less cost.

Yeah, this was a glorified 'bump' to get to 600, so what, wanna fight about it?

192. spOILer says:

The Gaffe coming up on CBC again for any other masochists out there.

193. Scott Reynolds says:

I think it's very clear that Tambellini thought he made a good deal on July 1st. Did he still feel that way after watching the goalie market develop over the summer? I'm not sure. I think I mostly understand why Tambellini decided to go with Khabibulin. The trouble is, I think his reasoning was poor. Perhaps if I sat down and talked it over he could come at it from an angle I haven't thought of and I could be convinced (I doubt I could be convinced).

As for the money stuff, I'd be inclined to spend about 2.75M on goaltending this year and possibly going forward. In the C+B NW preview post, you can see that I'm a pretty big believer in Anderson. As such, I think the Oilers would be in fine shape if they gave him a 2 or 3 year deal at 2.1M which leaves another 0.65M for a backup and many were signed at around that number. I don't really think JDD is a good bet so I'd probably go for someone else, hopefully Manny Fernandez but if not, some schlub (Legace, Auld…)on a 1 year deal while I wait to see how Dubnyk does in the AHL.

194. bookie says:

599

195. pboy says:

How is it possible that Mark Lee and Kevin Weekes are paid actual money to be a broadcasting team? I'm going to write a long winded e-mail to the CBC demanding that they either re-hire Chris Cuthbert or they steal Ray Ferraro from TSN. Just as soon as I sober up, that is….

196. spOILer says:

Scott, I agree with most of that and I think it likely that number would have gotten Anderson, although it wouldn't be certain because we don't know how bad the Avs wanted him and at what number they would have exited the bidding. They certainly have the space to bid longer than us. But because of Anderson's lesser pedigree I think he could have been had cheaper than Biron.

I think in consideration of Roli's contract, Biron was probably asking for more than that at the time. I'm not sure the Oilers were willing to stay essentially goalie-less for that length of time, nor would they have been in as good a bargining position because of the blatant need they would have had.

197. bookie says:

I did get tired of the Oilers being referred to as the Flames tonight…

198. spOILer says:

Actually that's only 300k more than the Avs, so I'm not sure 2.1M would be enough. Likely somewhere in your 2.1M to 2.65M range though.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »