Hey, Joe

Thanks, Joe. It was a pleasure to watch you play.

52 Responses to "Hey, Joe"

1. woody says:

Sorta makes me sick that his number is going up alongside Raymond Bourque's. What were Avs management thinking?

2. HBomb says:

My all time favorite of players never to don the Oiler colors. Not enough guys left in pro sports with the class that Sakic showed. Best thing hockey related ever to come out of the Vancouver area, without debate.

I'll be rockin' the old-school Nords jersey tonight in tribute. Ironic that the Avs franchise upon his departure is about where it was when he arrived – at the bottom of the cycle. And it sucks to know that, three years from now, Stastny Jr. and Matt Duchene could be Sakic/Forsberg redux. Ugh.

3. Traktor says:

Sakic with a right! Sakic with a right! Oh my God! Joe Sakic just scored a goal and beat up Doug Gilmour!

4. Schitzo says:

Anyone know if the Avs game will be on TV?

5. HBomb says:

Traktor: I was curious as to whether or not such a thing ever happened when you said that, so I went and searched for it.

Sure enough, Burnaby Joe threw down! Kind of a Rod Phillips style fight call, but still….

6. dubya says:

I guess I'll be the one to post the best quote ever about Joe Sakic, written by DMFB at Covered in Oil:

…Joe Sakic, floating into the slot on a fucking cloud and sifting in a shot that looked so natural you would swear to god he's actually the last living descendant of an ancient tribe of people who communicated solely in wrist shots…

7. HBomb says:

It wouldn't be a tribute thread unless we brought up Sakic's finest hour.

Fifty years worth of pressure on your team, and you go 2G-2A in a 5-2 win?

Some baseball guys will dispute the existence of the concept, but if that's not "clutch", nothing is.

8. bookie says:

I hate him for every goal he scored against the Oilers.

9. MattM says:

HBomb

As long as they get stuck with the new Stephane Fiset and not the new Patrick Roy, I think it will be fine.

10. HBomb says:

bookie: He burned the Oilers so many times, but I always applauded the guy.

He's the kind of guy that's impossible to hate, I think.

11. bookie says:

He's the kind of guy that's impossible to hate, I think.

Yeah, I know, its not real hate, just fan hate.

12. shep says:

mps with a goal and a helper in todays sel game

13. loudog says:

Schitzo: I think that Colorado game is only on Versus.

MTL-TOR, VAN-CAL double header on CBC (MTL-TOR also being on RDS)

COL-SJ, WSH-BOS are both on Versus.

14. loudog says:

oh, and I always loved Joe Sakic. One of the finest players there was and still is.

15. Kyle says:

There is absolutely no question Burnaby Joe was among the best to ever play the game as well as one of the classiest.

"Their going to hold on and get a break, it's going to be a break, IT'S JOE SAKIC…..SCORES!!!!!!!! THAT MAKES IT 5-2 CANADA, SURELY THAT'S GOTTA BE IT!"

16. CrazyCoach says:

Burnaby Joe is one of my all time favorites. His performance in the 2002 Olympics alone made him a favorite of mine. The very fact that he was one of the classiest players ever to play in the NHL was the clincher.

I'm going to miss you Burnaby Joe!

17. William says:

Always loved this quote from DMFB on CiO:

"…it was almost always Joe Sakic, floating into the slot on a fucking cloud and sifting in a shot that looked so natural you would swear to god he's actually the last living descendant of an ancient tribe of people who communicated solely in wrist shots…"

Unfreakingbelievable wrist shot, hated how he always murdered the Oilers, but loved the player.

18. Tweezer So Cold says:

He played the game so purely, like Lidstrom does – with no cheap shots or dirty hits. Amazingly calm, he was an underrated passer and definitely had hustle. Not as talented as Yzerman, but better in the clutch. Most career OT Playoff goals, natch.

A pity his Nords couldn't knock off the ghost-supported, trapping Habs in the opening round of the 1993 playoffs. They easily would've gone to the finals.

His ascent to the top of the NHL pile coincided with the Oil's steady decline, therefore I never had a beef with him burying the Oil with his Bossy-like laser.

19. PDO says:

His performance in the gold medal game @ SLC remains the single best performance I've ever seen…

20. quain says:

Off topic, but I know some guys will find this interesting:

Over 21½ (-115)
    Hockey – Props 2009-2010 Regular Season Total Points – Dustin Penner – Total

This may be the easiest $100 I've ever made.

21. HBomb says:

The Bob Cole call of that 5-2 goal in 2002 still sends chills up my spine. What a great moment.

22. MattM says:

Quain: Where'd you get that line? That's a great bet.

23. Scott says:

quain, where is that line? It's like they confused points with goals, are they that bad with hockey?

24. quain says:

Bodog… no idea what they were thinking, the guy played half the season on the fourth line and stilled finished with more ES Points than the line there.

If my wife wouldn't have smacked me (or if she understood what a bet it was) I probably would've shoveled quite a bit more onto it.

25. quain says:

If anyone throws some money at that line I deserve a finder's fee! P129EED3 is the referral code.

I feel a bit seedy doing that, but good lord.

26. kris says:

Sakic:

My memory is Sakic was hurt in the 98 Olympics and missed the important games. I wonder what would've happened if he hadn't been. I think he was the best player on the team at the time and was counted on for offense.

—-

Just listened to today's scrum with Quinn on Oilers.nhl.com. Is it just me or does Quinn not really hiding that he thinks this team is piss poor and in need of a serious overhaul?

Some paraphrased points from the interview, at least as I heard it:

1. The young guys just want their 30-40 points. That's not good enough. They're not yet and may never be team players. (Not a fan of Cogliano and Gagner?)

2. Implied that the defense is error prone and is causing the bad PK. (Maybe not exactly what he meant, but we ordinarily assume our PK problems are at forward. He might be right about this.)

3. People need to "buy into the system" and they haven't yet. May take a long time.

4. Haven't played well in three years, and even then only played well in the playoffs.

5. When turning around the teams in Vancouver and TO, the personel was there in place. Just added a new system. By implication, we don't have the personel here.

We'll see if Quinn is a good coach, but so far I like that he's not reluctant to be minimally honest about the problems this team has.

27. Max says:

I have a very cool writing opportunity for you to consider with NHL.com and Bleacher Report. Please get back to me at max@bleacherreport.com as soon as possible and I'll be happy to arrange a phone call to explain more. Hope to hear from you asap.

Thanks,
    Max Tcheyan
    Featured Columnist Manager
    Bleacher Report

28. Steve says:

Yeah, I know, its not real hate, just fan hate.

DMFB's quote is the best one ever on Sakic. But this is the second best.

If by that he means "only had goaltending in the playoffs", he's right. But the underlying numbers showed that the 2005-2006 Oilers were a pretty good team all year outside of the crease.

LT, I know you said you're trying to avoid the MSM, and I love how this blog feels like a community – composed mostly of knowledgeable hockey fans, plus me and a couple other guys – and is written purely out of love. This is maybe my favourite site on the internet these days, and certainly my favourite hockey one.

But for Christ's sake, have you no ego at all? There are maybe a few hundred of us (well, maybe more, I have no access to your tracking statistics) who realize what you bring. Quite apart from whatever money there might be in it for you, don't you want to improve your reach? I feel like I'm watching Wayne Gretzky dominate a rec league, here.

Okay, that's the end of my rant.

29. hunter1909 says:

Don't be afraid to take up Max's offer. I'll think I'll be able to take up the slack over at my blog.

yours, hunty

30. hunter1909 says:

Quinn translated:

"They expect chicken salad out of these chicken shit players?"

31. quain says:

Don't listen to anyone LT: Keep holding out until they make you GM of the Oilers. Save us from perpetual development of mediocre talent!

Steve: Kind words. Okay, I'll email but no promises and if they want me to cut my hair or give up my musky basement well to hell with them. :-)

I'll have something up tonight on Quinn's comments, but this is what happens when you marry kids to a guy who has one last chance to kiss Stanley before he dies.

DIES!

33. PDO says:

What the hell is Martin preaching?

A bunch of smurf forwards and they're ringing the puck up the boards to them all day.

Even Markov is doing it.

It's hilarious.

34. RiversQ says:

This was a ridiculous statement if he really made it. Just following the percentages.

35. kris says:

LT,

This is definitely my favorite site on the intertubes.

I truly hope you can make money off it, but, from what little I know, you are right to be a little skeptical about the offers.

I for one wouldn't mind reading a few ads in the margins and would imagine that's your best bet, not that you need advice from me.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but it does seem to me that some around here have tried to make a few (I would imagine very few) dollars off of the traffic that your site generates and the community of hockey writers that -I think we all agree- wouldn't exist if it weren't for you doing such a good job writing and moderating this blog. That's all well and good, but what I'm saying is, if anyone is making money, it should be you, since you're -to quote Dickens- "the founder of the feast."

36. spOILer says:

We all know why the Oilers aren't playing the Flames on Opening Night, and the Canucks are, right?

37. bookie says:

LT – As someone with a bit of a background in business (ok, really I am Katz) I would make the phone calls, etc. but probably you have everything you need right here to start racking up some coin…and if you own your own means of production, the capitalists cannot exploit you for the surplus value you create (dammit, I am actually Karl Marx).

Anyway – MacT is not going anywhere!

38. bookie says:

Keep in mind that a key theme this year is managing expectations both in the media and in the room…

39. spOILer says:

Oh and I should add…

Thank you, Joe. You were sublime and I'm sad to see you go. But please tell Peter to hang them up too.

And thank you LT for Hendrix running through my head all evening. It's a nice respite from the grate that is Hughson.

'Kay I'd better get on my pool picks…

*scratches out Malkin and inserts Ovechkin after he singlehandedly destroys the Bruins while wearing a straitjacket and leg irons.*

40. PunjabiOil says:

Take the opportunity, LT. It's you anti-business types that otherwise cripple the economy ;)

In all seriousness, at the very least you should consider advertising revenue opportunities by maintaining your own site.

What happened to the OilersNation signing (you don't have to answer this)?

41. RiversQ says:

Keep in mind that a key theme this year is managing expectations both in the media and in the room.

If this were true it would mean that the Oilers actually learned a lesson from past mistakes. After all if they did that last year, there would have been a lot less anguish.

42. PDO says:

Quain:

How reputable is BoDog? How hard is it to get money there? I'm with RBC, so my Visa won't let me deposit to online gaming sites…

43. PDO says:

Quain… your bet is now unavailable. I'm thinking they meant to put goals. You might get yourself some money if you send them an e-mail saying you think they have a bad line though…

44. Hockey Noob says:

As for Burnaby Joe, yeah, he will be dearly missed by many hockey fans with myself included.

Back to LT: It sounds like some interesting ideas are brewing and offers being presented. Though I can't speak for anyone else that reads this blog on a daily basis, I'll read Lowetide no matter where the site is. I don't really care if the site is peppered with ads–so long as it doesn't use pop ups, I won't mind, lol.

However, there is something to be said of this site as it currently runs. The one fear that I might have as a fan of this blog, is that if it ended up on an MSM site, then the main thing that would be lost would be the sense of community in the comment stream.

My 2 cents: If there's a way to preserve the great insight and community of the comments section, that would be something to consider.

45. bookie says:

I don't really care if the site is peppered with ads…like a Scandinavian hockey player!

Sorry, I just had to finish that sentence.

46. Ribs says:

LT- If you're going to do it. Do it right.

Have your own site.
    We come to read your words and the comments section. No one wants to search through filler articles and polls to find the good stuff.

Keep it small.
    Keep the look and feel. Minimize the clutter. Keep the comments system simple and easy to read. A big complicated message board would be tragic.

Don't overextend yourself.
    Keep writing the same kind of things you normally would. There's no need for you to start writing "Around the League" weekly updates and whatnot.

That's what I'd like to see, anyways. You've kept the lounge open long enough now that you obviously know what you're doing and the spirit of the blog will certainly follow you throughout any manifestation.

As always, feel free to reach out to your readers for help with anything. We'd all gladly chip in whatever we can, I'm sure.

47. Coach pb9617 says:

Quain…THANK YOU!

48. Racki says:

I found a vintage Nordiques Sakic jersey at Jersey city just at the end of this past season for $99. What a friggen steal. Yes, it's obviously not an authentic jersey, but it looks pretty nice anyways.

Sakic was one of my favorites. Hard not to like the guy. Very amicable, modest, underrated, great all-around player. His loss signifies another piece of a great era of hockey coming to an end.

49. Bruce says:

LT: If you're considering Bleacher Report, make sure you read this.

Speaking selfishly, I love this site just the way it is.

50. Peter says:

Look up class in the dictionary and you see a picture of Joe Sakic. Favourite player of all time.

51. Wikiwonk says:

The Al Gore is at its best when it least resembles a coin-op strip mall. This guy knows his intertubes.
    Jonathan Zittrain: Random acts of kindness

There's one thing LT hasn't dealt with emotionally to get to the next level: that under the present CBA, the fan base–no matter how tuned-in or clear headed–is stuck in a permanent limbo of playing with half a deck.

We can criticize Oiler management for failing to fill holes until we're blue in the face (check), but at the end of the day we'll never know how many savvy offers were put out there to players who turned them down, or demanded too much of a premium.

This new CBA is killing the Oilers in one specific way: if the Oilers have to make an overpay to fill a critical hole, not only do they lose the cap space, but they create gridlock in making future deals, by having too many players saddled with cap-space overpays that no other team wants to pick up.

Until the Oilers are good enough to attract the players who are playoff oriented, they will have to pay a little more than other teams to fill the same roster hole: wives, planes, fish-bowl, sun skew. The Oilers are dipping into a smaller pool. In a seller's market, prices rise.

I'm not a capologist, but I think a portion of the difference between league minimum and league maximum needs to be available for bonus payments which aren't averaged out over future CBA seasons, greatly complicating the team's ability to trade players at projected cap value.

LT is right that the Oilers are becoming a feeder team for the NHL. Every tactic or perk the Oilers have available to get a player to sign here only manages to complicate life in future seasons: think of Souray, Roloson, Penner. I don't find it surprising that when Tambi picks up the phone, he finds it extremely difficult to solve the Sudoku puzzle.

Exchanging young talent for a third line veteran center fills the hole, but doesn't push the team over the bar. Draft picks are the only players the Oilers can sign at close to parity with the destination teams (Rangers, Detroit, San Jose). Hence we stuffed the python with rookies.

To pluck a number, the uphill tilt for the Oilers amounts to about $5m a season: what the Oilers get for $55m, most other teams would get for $50m. When the team is good, this margin is smaller, when the team struggles, this margin goes up. It's a positive feedback forcing cycle, like CO2. Thus the defection of CFP nuking the next three seasons.

It strikes me that if the Oilers could pay out up to $5m in bonuses against the current year salary cap, they could structure their contracts with future year cap hits that don't impair as badly their ability to function on the trade market.

If the NHL had more transparency about offers on the trade market, we'd be in a much better position to judge. But the reality is that the fans play with less than half a deck in deciding these things. And, oh boy, Bettman likes it that way. In his ideal world, the cup would be awarded every season on a lottery pick, with extra balls in the hopper for teams with revenue issues. If the CBA hampers the Oilers in a small way, so much the better. This is not the franchise at the top of the list to declare insolvency. What do we need a cup for? Waste of glory, with respect to Bettman's agenda.

Maybe the answer is this: when smart management goes year after year without filling obvious holes, perhaps the CBA is more flawed than we realize.

I'd love to put LT in Tambi's shoes for a year, then have him report back on this next season, explaining why the team still doesn't have a 3rd line center. Then we could enjoy a full year of LT being blue in the face about the CBA wonks in the back room refusing to allow him to complete any useful roster moves, and I'd finally gain some real insight into the workings of the NHL cabal.