Oilers at Bruins, G14, 09-10

In this photo, Dave Schultz is saying hello to Wayne Cashman and Bobby Orr will get the puck. I think this is a SCF photo which makes it 1974. We could use a Cashman. He was rugged, skilled, a master corner man, had an ability to take and make a pass and he was durable. A nice modern comparable would be Ryan Smyth.

Dustin Penner was already the best left winger on the club before he decided to go supernova. This season Penner’s fine play has dwarfed the other LW’s (mostly Comrie, Jacques and Moreau). As much as this team could use a quality, veteran center they could also use a solid left winger. There are some candidates in Springfield, and I wonder if the team may drop off someone while in Massachusetts. Chris Minard? He’s having a very nice start. How long can Steve MacIntyre not play?

The Oilers took a 4-pak of hurt guys (Lubo, Staios, Comrie and Pisani) with them but early word has Comrie and Visnovsky as “possibles” for today and the other two on the trip for the air miles. The Bruins have struggled this season, but I never trust that kind of thing. The Oilers have a way of ending slumps and Boston is a fine hockey club even with all the injuries. Both teams could use Cashman.

222 Responses to "Oilers at Bruins, G14, 09-10"

« Older Comments
  1. Schitzo says:

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

2. Schitzo says:

YOU'RE RUINING HALLOWEEN

3. Icecastles says:

He's been putting up consistent offensive numbers in "limited" opportunity.

I wil certainly agree that his numbers have been pretty offensive this year. :)

Seriously though, I can understand the notion of 'rewarding' players with PP time based on their 5v5 production. But that seems like a sound argument if the team is actually producing (either on the PP of at evens). When offensive production is so sparse, you look for whatever might score you goals. And if that means trying someone on the man advantage who hasn't been cutting it at evens (but who you know has potential), then you do it.

So Cogliano hasn't put much away this season… do you wait for him to do it at even strength and *then* give him powerplay time where he can actually contribute to a win, or hold to some notion of the powerplay as a 'reward' and keep him off of it? I thought the point was to win hockey games. And if you've got a guy who (from a miniscule sample size) is getting it done at 20/60 on the PP, then it behooves you to at least give the guy a bit of time there. Especially when it's not as if you're doing it at the expense of a PP that's been tearing up the competition.

4. HBomb says:

Traktor: Nice work, using one season to try and prove a point. Doesn't make a difference that Horcoff out-pointed him, did it against tougher opposition, and has done it many times over his career.

Andrew Cogliano isn't even close to being in the same class of player as Shawn Horcoff. Anyone with half a brain can see that.

5. Schitzo says:

I SWEAR TO GOD HBOMB I WILL FIGHT YOU

6. HBomb says:

I will go on record and say that I do believe Cogliano deserves some second unit PP time, and that he should get a crack on the wing with some offensive minded linemates.

But this is in order to kick start his game, not to reward him somehow. He hasn't been very good so far this season from what I've seen.

7. HBomb says:

Schitzo: you make me chuckle my friend.

Lots of posters advocating Rob Schremp hockey here.

In Rob Schremp hockey, you get to play the power play without even strength production.

In the NHL, you don't get to play the power play till you produce at even strength.

There is some leeway for players with a track record. There is some leeway if you are put out to stand in front of the net. Horcoff still has gotten signficant power play time because he has a track record and is about the only Oiler centre who can win a faceoff to gain possession on the PP.

9. Schitzo says:

HBomb: I do what I can

10. HBomb says:

Schitzo: all I can see when reading those last three posts is a six year old kid with his fingers in his ears going "LA LA LA LA LA", trying to ignore something bad that's going on.

Quinn sounds like us. Is that a good thing?

12. HBomb says:

Quinn sounds like us. Is that a good thing?

I'm entirely not sure. I think any coach worth his weight in salt would say the same thing that is among the common themes around here: more veterans would be nice.

This team needs a hard-nosed LW for the 2nd or 3rd line and a PK-aiding RH centerman for the 3rd or 4th line. And a 5/6 d-man right about now might not be a bad idea either.

13. Icecastles says:

Godot: I was going to make a quip about the fact that I felt dangerously close to advocating Rob Schremp hockey. :)

The difference here is that Cogliano is not Rob Schremp. Given your usual comments on here (which I quite enjoy), I know you're smart enough to know that, but I'll say it anyway. He was a dangerous player last year and is expected by many to be capable of 20+ goals this season. You put him on the powerplay because you need your offensive catalysts producing, and, oh yeah, you need to win hockey games.

And you don't win much of anything by saying "What we've done in the past isn't working, but I'd rather lose doing what I've always done than try something new and either (a) continue to lose, in which nothing has changed, or (b) actually win and get a key offensive player producing again.

When the team isn't winning and your guy isn't scoring, you have to get past the ego issue (and I see no argument beyond ego for the 'reward' defense) and give him at least *some* powerplay time.

For gawd sakes, we've been shut out three out of four games. I know there are extenuating circumstances, but that seems like a pretty massive argument for the notion that what we've been doing hasn't been working.

14. Bruce says:

Today's powerplay had teo chances, trailing 2-0 in the third, and demonstrated Zero desperation or creativity. 0 shots, with a botched line change as an exclamation point.

Hemsky 2:39 PPTOI
    POS 2:39
    Grebs 2:39
    Penner 2:30
    Horcoff 2:22
    all others < 0:40

That's $20 MM of payroll there, and none of them came close to getting anything done today.

15. HBomb says:

On an unrelated note: let the debate begin.

Strong, strong list HBomb.

17. geowal says:

I'm going to be the scariest looking guy at my Halloween party tonight.

I have decided to dress up as Shawn Horcoff's contract.

I'm a concussed Sheldon Souray.

18. rickibear says:

For all you Horcoff-Cogliano guys

I too – like the Offensive pairs concept.

Penner/Brule with Hemsky
    Cogliano/Gagner centerd by Horcoff
    Comrie/O'sullivan With Jacques LW

19. hunter1909 says:

Cashman almost single handedly terrified the soviets in the second game of the 1972 series.

When they came off the ice, he was all they talked about. "Cashman, Cashman". They'd simply never met an NHL animal before that game.

20. HBomb says:

Right now, if we play Penner and Hemsky on the same line, it's an "Easter Line", as in all the eggs in one basket.

I'd give this a shot:

Cogliano-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Penner-Gagner-Nilsson
    O'Sullivan-Comrie-Pisani
    Jacques-Brule-Stortini

No Moreau you say? Well, when all the forwards are healthy, who is he honestly a better option than, other than MacIntyre?

In addition to those 12, I'd rather have Stone and Pouliot in the lineup instead of him as well.

21. HBomb says:

Lowetide: I may have asked this before, but if you're so willing to, could we add Inebriated Oiler Fans to your blogroll? I know it's very adult in nature, but perhaps a warning of (18+ only) at the end of the link would do the trick. You're the site operator here, so I'll leave the decision in your hands.

(Pat, if you're reading this, same request to you for the BDHS blog).

Others: if you want posting/commenting privileges for said "after hours" blog, just fire me an e-mail and I will send you an invite as soon as I can. The more people we have in on the discussions there, the more hilarious it would get.

22. Rob Gilgan says:

I preferred the game early, with no audio. Pisani did well for the first game of the season. Smid and Habby are the only stars today. Looked like they'd shaken off the flu until about halfway, then they looked all Swiney again.

« Older Comments