Oilers Recall Peckham

The Oilers have called up Theo Peckham from Springfield (AHL). Peckham has played well after missing all of training camp with an ankle problem. Peckham’s injury meant the Oilers had fewer decisions to make this fall along the blue, but his callup (and the performance of Taylor Chorney) today may signal the beginning of the process that allows Peckham to establish himself in the NHL.

The depth chart has a “hard 4″ at the top (Souray, Visnovsky, Gilbert, Grebeshkov) along with 2 established players (Staios & Smid) at opposite ends of productive careers. The 7-slot belongs to Jason Strudwick at this point and he’s exactly the player-type who keeps that job over youth because there’s often a lot of sitting involved for said player.

The opportunity for Chorney and Peckham comes both in injuries to front line (top 6D) men and later in the year when trades come available. Dennis and Pat (and now Asia) have been talking about the makeup of the Oilers after this season and pretty much everyone agrees an offensive defender making real money is heading out of town.

Chorney and Peckham are the latest blueline draft prospects for a club that usually has more success trading for help than developing it. Recent draftees include Matt Greene, Alexei Semenov, Danny Syvret and Mathieu Roy, but the Oilers have traded for Tom Gilbert, Denis Grebeshkov, Jan Hejda and others in that time. During the Kevin Lowe regime the team has also had success signing undrafted free agents like MA Bergeron.

Oiler fans are looking forward to getting Pat Quinn’s reaction to Peckham, a player whose style is comparable to the OTC’s playing style many years ago.

53 Responses to "Oilers Recall Peckham"

1. Bookie says:

Watching the PP without Souray last night makes me wonder if he might be on the 'ok to trade' list. His value may have dropped a little with his concussion, but he could bring a decent return.

Though unless the young guys bring it, it could leave our defence somewhat soft.

I want to make it clear, I think Souray is a valuable player, but as long as we got a good return, maybe it would be ok to trade him and a forward for another forward.

2. Bookie says:

Question for the cap geeks. With Staios out and Souray out, if both were to miss 3+ weeks, could they be retroactivly put on long term Injured Reserve? If so, would that free up about $2 million in cap space (counting Poo) which could be valuable at the trade deadline as it would let us bring in an expensive player about to become a UFA?

Am I correct on this?

3. LMHF#1 says:

This is good news. He can bump Strudwick off the blue line where he is truly struggling mightily. Let's hope Jason can be effective as a fourth line winger if necessary.

4. the 0 in 0rca is for 0 cups says:

hopefully Peckham hasn't lost a step. if he slots right in, it will solidify us and open up some options. !gowen sound!

hopefully Strudwick gains one. i wouldn't have minded this last year. i like him, he just seems to be battling his limits this season.

5. Bar Qu says:

I feel very cautious about the whole 'trade a D' thing. I think there is too many injury possibilities to start heralding the arrival of AHL quality guys to fill in for top 4's. Unless whatever trade made involves an NHL'r of less high stature coming back.

Bookie, are you the same bookie capitalised and not capitalised? I haven't had a chance to check your profile when I have been thinking about it.

0 for 0rca: Peckham's played pretty well from what we've heard from Daum. The one game the coach mentioned as being a little weak was the third in three days and coming off an injury we could probably agree he might not have been at his best.

Other than that, the scouting reports have been positive.

7. Bookie says:

Bookie, are you the same bookie capitalised and not capitalised

That depends…did the other bookie annoy you? I (he) was kind of annoying a couple of weeks ago…

Yes I am, I had just changed some profile stuff around and lost my picture and name and then typed it with a capital. I like the non-caps so I will go back and change it!

8. raventalon40 says:

@Bookie:

It will be hard to move either Souray or Visnovsky and we all know why – NMCs, NTCs, large salaries and the most obvious reason – their valuable contribution to the team.

The Oilers may be performing well without Souray in the lineup, but I think it goes without saying that when he plays the Oilers are a better team. Being able to split up Souray and Visnovsky gives the Oilers two solid pairings, and prevents the Oilers from having to play Grebeshkov and Gilbert together (who looked awful against Columbus).

If anything, I think (as many do) that one of the younger guys with high trade value will definitely be on the block – Gilbert or Grebs. Not because we couldn't use the contribution of the double G's for years to come (face it, Souray and Vis are both 32 and not getting younger) but it comes down to whether you pay Grebs the big raise he deserves or you dish him and keep the devil you know (Gilbert @ 4 million).

In the most popular internet rumour we trade Gilbert to Buffalo for Drew Stafford. Unless we get something else back, Gilbert for Stafford is a ripoff for the Oilers.

9. PDO says:

Excellent.

Kid is a beauty.

As much as we're going to hit a question of do we deal Grebeshkov of Gilbert…

Eventually you have to figure if this team is competing, then one of Chorney or Peckham is on the way out too, don't you?

What we know, is that good teams don't develop multiple defensemen… and these are two fantastic chips.

I was talking to Dennis last night and the two of us were very impressed with the way Chorney has played. Looks well beyond his years and is actually the strong point on that pairing… and we all know how good Wreck'Em looked last season.

I don't know who I'd lean towards, and a lot of it depends on which D you're looking at moving, but I think it's a real story moving towards this years draft..

10. speeds says:

Bookie wrote:

Am I correct on this?

No, you are incorrect. Teams are not allowed to bank LTIR dollars.

Injured players count always count against the cap, what the LTIR allows you to do is exceed the cap if, and only if, your team needs the room.

If you are a team exactly at the cap and a 4 mil cap hit player goes onto LTIR, you are allowed to replace him on the roster with a player that makes 4 mil or less.

If you are a team that is exactly 4 mil below the cap and a 4 mil cap hit player goes onto LTIR, replacing him with a 4 mil player will not leave you 4 mil below the cap, you will be exactly at the cap.

11. bookie says:

Speeds – thanks for correcting me on that. I wasn't sure, but knew that somebody here (half the people here) would know.

It makes sense, otherwise every player struggling and earning a high value contract would come down with an upper body injury and go on LTIR.

Can't have bad incentives like that in a contract. You know, overall the CBA has been pretty good at keeping cap cheating at bay.

12. Bar Qu says:

Interestingly enought, in an off-topic kind of way, Burke seems to have decided to ignore league mandates to continue a personal feud with another GM again.

13. bookie says:

You know, its funny, when the Lowe Burke fued was on, I was enjoying heaping the hate on Burke, but primarily thought of it as fan hate. In other words, I kind of thought the guy was ok, but just didn't like him and ridiculed him because he was the 'enemy'

Now though, I just kind of think the guy is a prick.

14. Bar Qu says:

It does feel as though he is a law unto himself doesn't it? I wonder if Bettman has the stones to fine him? Here's me putting down a nickel that he says sweet tweet about st. Brian.

15. Gerta Rauss says:

Off day comments

-Penner
    -Quinn "Strudwick may play forward tomorrow if Comrie can't go"

16. Jfry says:

i can't remember the last time i was as excited about our prospects of playing "NHL ready" prospects in almost every position.

It's almost like things are starting to fall into place — i love this koolaid!

17. Bruce says:

"Despite an NHL-imposed gag order to cease and desist from public comments, Toronto Maple Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke painted the rival Vancouver Canucks as whiners and tattletales yesterday."

Seems to me this is the second gag order that Burke has ignored in just a few months. But I agree with Bar Qu that Bettman will simply let him have a free punch over the linesman's shoulder again.

What a compleat fucking prick. The 30th best GM in the NHL.

18. Bar Qu says:

The 30th best GM in the NHL.

Are you saying he's better than the guys out of jobs? Milbury? Maclean? ;)

19. Black Dog says:

Interesting stuff.

By my numbers, and keep in mind I'm no math guy, if they dump Moreau and Staios, pay cut Pisani and then move another 4 million somehow then they should be ok for the cap next season, even if it drops.

So that four million, as we said, is likely a Dman.

Tambellini has to decide what the window is, of course that depends on how this year plays out. If he figures its in the next couple of years, which I doubt it is, then Grebs or Gilbert is gone. If he figures down the road then its one of the older guys.

Ideally they try and find the savings somehow and keep all of the 'big five' ;) and then run Chorney/Peckham as the six/seven/injury guys.

You can never have enough quality players at any position imo. As much as I think they probably HAVE to move a Dman to get under the cap, if they can get away with not doing so then I keep the lot of them.

Gilbert and Grebs are good young vets. Lubo built the bus and then he drove it. Souray has a skill set that is hard to replace. Smid is the stay at home guy that they need and he will be a value contract for years, imo.

Chorney has looked fine. Seriously. He is a kid and there's chaos but compare him to Greene and that gong show.

And I think Peckham is better than Chorney and he is another stay at home guy.

Keep them all as long as you can if you can afford them.

20. Dennis says:

Because of service time and money to be earned, it appears that 5-41-49 will be in the top six come 2011.

Now the question is which of the current big four are moved (37-44-71-77) because I don't think there's any way 24 survives to play G1 of the '11 season.

So, lots of things to consider like the aforementioned NMC's and the like and plus there's 77 who's already signed up for awhile, there's 71 with a few seasons of being bonafide offensive goodness and then there's a guy like 44 who when healthy can prop up your PP And be a superior bully.

Let's hope the Oilers don't botch this one.

And, yes, OTC should Absolutely Love 49.

I expect the praise to be effusive, frequent and matter-of-fact.

21. Black Dog says:

I think Grebs is the natural guy to be moved.

Gilbert is the only RH D if Staios goes, which he will, until Motin arrives, presuming he does.

Souray makes sense in a lot of ways but he's big and tough and he scores a lot of goals so he's a tough guy to move out.

Lubo is too good.

And the other kids are cheap.

So Grebs is the guy by default I believe.

As I said I think you go with the seven if you can as long as you can, but when you have to move one he's probably the guy.

22. raventalon40 says:

No, you are incorrect. Teams are not allowed to bank LTIR dollars.

I thought the cap hit was:

((Total Salary Remaining Over Term)/(Total Years Remaining on Term))*[(82 - GP)/(82)]

23. Mike says:

Hmm I agree that moving a D makes logical sense to me but I can't decide who it should be. Although the debate for me is between Grebs and Gilbert. Souray and Vis are too valuable and Grebs and Gilbert are the most similar players in my opinion.

24. FlamingPavelBure says:

I think Souray's the man to trade.

High salary
    Old
    Injury Prone
    Questionable defensively
    (Best season +- wise is +1 in the last five years, wort rating, a staggering -28)

And i think souray got much more value than Grebeshkov, even if i don't think that's the case.

May not seem like it, but some GM are a tad stupid. Trade wise.

Craig Rivet To San Jose
    54 6 10 16 57 -7

That was traded for Josh Gorges and Max Pacioretty. Considering Souray is way more of a player than Craig Rivet, imagine what they can get, even at the deadline.

I think you can now afford with the eclosion of Smid, who can be the big man.

Will force the PP to work in team, not always pass to him.

25. Dennis says:

I"d love to see 44 moved because he's hurt a lot – and yes, Bruce I know you're there 71 lurking;) – but let's break it down like this.

D who are defending-centric:

5-49

D who are primarily puckmovers:

D who have a chance to be two-ways:

37-77

D who can play it both ways; at least in terms of plus/minus

D who have point potential and can bully:

So, put that together with salaries and attractiveness and what can we do?

26. Scott Reynolds says:

Let's say if we're planning for next year that we're expecting a cap of 55M. I'm a big fan of % budgeting to help distribute cash.

Let's say:

Top 3 F – 27.5%
    Top 4 D – 27.5%
    Mid 6 F – 20.0%
    Bot 8 Skaters – 15.0%
    Goaltending 10.0%

Seem fair? If so, we're good in our top 3 F (27,10,83) who will take a 25.2% share giving us wiggle room elsewhere. We're also okay in G where Khabby and DD or JDD should cost around 4.5M or 8.2% giving us a bit more wiggle room.

Now for the tough parts. To me, the priority ought to be on keeping the top 4D in tact. If we give 37 the same deal as 77 that puts us at 19M or 34.5%. So as of now we're 2.6% over our initial budget which means there's some need for trimming around the edges. Let's say we average 0.8M for our bottom 8 guys. That necessitates moving 24 out, keeping 5 and signing some cheap FA's or promoting from within but is very doable IMO. That would only take up 11.6% of the budget so we're back on track…

… So long as the Mid 6 forwards stay on budget which means a 1.85M average there. To me this is where the Oilers really need to clean house a bit. I think you need to ditch 18 and pick only two of 12, 13, 19 and 89. Whichever two you choose can average 3M per and then the other 4 mid-sixers need to average 1.25M. If you can sign Cogs cheap (say the 1.85 that Dubinsky got from the Rags; he doesn't have arb rights so the Oilers should have leverage), you can probably fill out the rest with promotions and cheap vets and keep the whole young core together (if you take Gags and POS as your two earlier).

If the cap goes lower than 55M you need to move a defender but until they get a bad forecast I think they're better to hold tight to the guys they have. The issue is finding a place for 18, 24 and 12. This should've been done last year but they didn't do it. On the bright side, if they waive 12 and get no takers they can buy him out and get a cap credit for next year.

27. speeds says:

raven:

Annual cap hit is calculated by dividing the total dollars of the contract by the number of years. It is calculated daily, not by GP.

So a team can "bank money" in a sense; being on pace to spend 48 mil at the half way point, with a 50 mil cap, means you can acquire a 4 mil cap hit player for the second half instead of having a 2 mil player for the entire season.

28. speeds says:

BD:

I would move Souray of the top 4, even though I must admit I like him much more than I thought I would.

(1) His NMC is gone July 1

(2) He makes big money (~ same as Vis, slightly less, but ~1.5 more than Gilbert (and Grebeshkov if he slots in at 4?). 1.5 mil is no joke in cap crunch times, it can probably sign you a decent player (see: this past summer).

(3) I think he's cheapest to replace on the UFA market IF you're only trying to replace his toughness and grit. And I think that may make sense if you plan on keeping all of Grebeshkov, Visnovsky and Gilbert for the PP next year – at this point, IMO, those three would seem to be a reasonable bet to be a capable enough PP D options.

29. Black Dog says:

Good stuff Scott, I do agree with you, they can make it work. The arrival of some of these kids means that they can do it without tearing the guts out of the team.

speeds – yes I'm with you on Souray, I didn't like the signing at all but definitely liked his work last year.

I'm really on the fence with these guys, similar to Dennis I guess. Half of me says if you move someone then Souray should go, his age alone makes him the logical choice and if you feel you need to then you pick up a guy to slot in who can punish guys.

And the PP is likely ok with the three they have plus Chorney.

The other half of me says Grebs is the guy whose skill set is replicated but moving a youngster over a vet when there is no immediate payoff in terms of playoff success really makes no sense at all. By the time this team really contends Souray will be done, Lubo too. I think anyway.

Lets hear it for Scott's solution! ;)

30. Jon says:

Next Year:

It looks like Chorney and Peckham will have played there way into the line-up for next year. Meaning, Staios and Strudwick likely gone.

Souray Gilbert
    Grebs Vis
    Smid Peckham

Chorney

In the meantime… would you trade Nillson straight up for Jeff Halpern in Tampa?

Penner Gags Hemsky
    O'sully Horcoff Comrie
    Cogs Halpern Pisani
    Moreau Brule Stortini

Jaques and Stone

31. Bar Qu says:

It looks like Halpern is someone who can take faceoffs but doesn't really know how to play after that (Corsi -9.6, despite only starting in his own zone 32 more times over the season). Maybe its because TB stinks, but if you are taking equal salary back, you better hope for something more.

What about a straight salary dump for a pick (2nd?) and a proven AHL'r? Is that too low a value for Nilsson or is it worth it to clear cap room?

32. Scott Reynolds says:

I sure hope they have Chorney slated as the 8th guy and he spends significant time on the farm next year. Peckham's contract status make keeping him at the NHL level an obligation but there's no need to keep Chorney up. Sure he's looked okay in his few NHL games this year but Chorney still has a lot of warts to work out of his game. It's not as though five decent games mean that all of the evidence of his defensive struggles in the AHL were a mirage. There's still lots of work to do.

33. kris says:

Places where salary that can be cut, IMO:

Staios (2.7)
    Moreau (2.0)
    Pisani (2.5)
    Nilsson (2.0)
    O'Sullivan (2.9)
    Total: 12.1

Of course, every one of those guys you dump you have to bring in a replacement.

Here's how I see it:

Dump Moreau for Peckham (0.6)
    Resign Pisani (1.5)
    Stupidly keep Moreau (2.0)
    Dump Nilsson for Anyone (0.8)?
    Replace POS with Rookie, Eberle, POS, Nash, etc. (1.1)?
    Total: 6.0

Savings of 6.1MM

-Grebs gets 0.5 MM raise. (short contract again)
    -Gagner gets 3MM raise
    -Cogliano gets 2MM raise (short contract

Now, as much as the declining cap and declining revenues create problems for us, so too do they create problems for other teams.

That is, other teams are going to be, on the whole, less able to try and throw offer sheets at our RFA's, having to deal with their own players, big ticket UFA's.

Indeed, the threat of offer sheets will be less given the slightly falling cap, which may help us tremendously.

The glass is both half empty and half full.

34. kris says:

I mean dump Staios for Peckham of course.

I think this is the key point.

Puck Moving Defencemen (PMD) are a commodity whose value rarely sags, and who can be ludicrous to sign as free agents (see Campbell, Brian; Redden, Wade)

No PMD under 35 became free agents last year except Bouwmeester and he signed below market value to play in Cowgary. (you could argue Komisarek, but he is more of a Souray type, 4.5M)

So we don't really know what PMD are worth right now as free agents, but a good guess would start at 4.5-5 at the low end.

If the best Souray type available (Komisarek, great age too) goes for 4.5, and good tough defencemen coming off career years sign for 3.4 like Scuderi, then speeds point holds true and 44 leads the candidates for trade.

Since the PMD is fairly rare and do not come up for free agency often, their value can increase.

That is why the Gilbert-Stafford rumor pisses me off so much.

That trade is a severe undervalue of the PMD, whether its Grebs or Gilbert.

If you are going to trade a commodity like a PMD you have to shoot higher, like a Brown or Neal, not Stafford, even if you have to add some young talent that is somewhat redundant on this roster. (i.e. Cogs/Brule).

It reminds me of the sales staff at a sister company of my company. Often we buy much,much better than our competition, and then the sales staff proceeds to sell the product under market value. When questioned why, they point out "well, we're still making good margin".

In their mind, they still got value for the commodity, even though they sold the product for 20% under what the going rate is.

Just because you get a return that isn't bad doesn't mean you got a good return.

If the Oilers move a PMD, they better bloody well get max return.

Given that Tamblowe knows they needs to make a 3-1 type deal to clear contracts, I'm actually pretty hopeful.

36. Dennis says:

Regarding 13-19-89, I don't think there's a chance the Oil will get rid of 89 so then it comes down to 13 vs 19 with the loser being replaced by Eberle most likely.

So, you'll look at that HTH and there'll be factors like 19 being closer to FA; how he does this season; whether 13 can be a difference maker on the wing or if he'll even agree to play there; and, finally, what kind of pivot does he look to be.

Personally, I'd go with the pivot every time and it would be great if we had a good '10 without Cogs tearing it up – with 19 being a big part of it – and then we could get 10 on a cheap contract and 19's value would be at it's highest.

37. SK Oiler Fan says:

Who Tambo trades all depends on who/what he gets back.

Even though he's one of my favorites, I'd trade Souray for a cheap forward/prospect with PK potential and a stay at home, tough, PK stud D in the 2.5 to 3.5 M range (ie. Willie Mitchel).

Then give Chorney increased PP time and sheltered ES minutes.

I'm not a fan of trading Visnovski. Him and Smid could be great partners for a long while. His style of play is less likely to have injuries occur and I don't think his play will drop off as dramatically as Sourays may as they age.

Any moves this season or next summer should involve getting rid of Staois in some shape or form.

38. raventalon40 says:

Visnovsky is our best defenseman, by far. But Souray's skills are not easily duplicated, either.

The questions for me are:

1) What is the defensive nucleus on this team?

If it's young D like Gilbert and Grebs, then you move one of Souray or Visnovsky. If the nucleus is already Souray and Visnovsky, then one of the PMD have to go.

2) Which salary is more binding?

Gilbert is locked in at 4 million cap hit and his contract will not increase or decrease over that term unless someone trades for him the cap hit will change. Grebeshkov, depending on what the market indicates this summer, may or may not tender a huge raise.

PMD are a hot commodity and I totally agree with Woodguy. Grebs is also younger than guys like Brian Campbell, who is making a lot of money due to a hot market (in which he and Mark Streit were the only things being bidded on) in the year that he signed, though Mark Streit signed in the Tom Gilbert range.

3) Who else is available as an option this summer?

The year that Brian Campbell signed the quality of free agent defenseman was pretty poor, because for the most part, no PMD's were available and mostly it was the Jason Strudwicks, Brooks Orpiks, Mike Commodores on the market.

Denis G may be an RFA this summer, but I think he has arbitration rights and it makes him closer to an UFA than RFA (I'm curious though, can you take a player to arbitration more than once, or is there a limit?).

39. speeds says:

Raven:

Gilbert's cap hit doesn't change even if someone trades for him.

That's the thing about PMD, they are rare and they do not hit the FA market often, so when they do they get overpaid. Everytime.

So when you have a commodity like a PMD on a decent contract (Gilbert/Grebs-RFA), then I suggest that they are [b]more valuable[/b] than the free agent PMD because of their affordability.

JM Liles signed for 4.5 and he's not close to what Gilbert and Grebs brings.

So how valuable is Gilbert at 4 and Grebs on a 3.15 RFA contract?

The best PMD coming up as a UFA this year is Paul Martin of the Devils, who will be 29 at the end of they year. He's currently a cap of 3.83. The bidding will probably start at 5.5 and go from there.

Again, the underlying value of 77/37 is waaaaay more than one Drew Stafford.

Also,

This is incorrect.

Cap hits are determined when the contract is signed and does not change for the life of the contract regardless of what the actual payment for any particular year is.

A player's contract is traded with the player, the contract, nor the cap hit changes.

41. commonfan13 says:

Even if it makes sense hockey-wise to trade Souray, does it look good for the team in a big-picture sense to deal a guy who, until the Wall signed this summer, was the only significant UFA I can remember signing with the team in its history?

How does that look to future UFA targets?

42. speeds says:

I don't think it's a big factor 3 years into the deal commonfan13, but others may disagree.

How does that look to future UFA targets?

I think the top four considerations for a UFA are:

1) How much $$$?

2) How long is the contract?

3) Does the team have a chance to win?

4) Is my family established in a community?

These will vary in weight depending on the player/situation.

I think that whether or not the team traded away someone they signed as a UFA would rank down the list, if it makes the list at all.

44. Traktor says:

"I think that's a great point about being able to find a guy on the market who replicates 44's ruffian tactics while also realizing that we have guys in-house who can keep the PP going at a decent rate."

What if I told you that we have a team full of skilled players and we could find a defensive center for 750k?

If that logic works for 44 then it has to work for 10, right?

45. raventalon40 says:

@speeds:

I'm pretty sure it does, doesn't it?

That's why teams front load contracts so that by acquiring a veteran in their later contract years they are less likely to eat up much cap space.

46. rickibear says:

There were 6 Dmen top 50 in 6 of 6 categories.
    EVG

Neither were PKGA

12 more were 4 of 6
    Gilbert
    Not EVGA or PKGA

D who have a chance to be two-ways:
    37-77

Gilbert has not shown any of that. he has allways been weak at preventing ev goals and pk goals except for a 20 game stretch at the end of the year.

With Souray and Staios out we have three Dmen in the top 50 in penalty kill.

Chorney #7, Strudwick #9, Smid #45

Our dmen Top 50 in EVGA. Chorney #14 (third hardest team comp, league avg), Smid #27(30th easiest comp in the league)

Smid is top 50 in EVGA, Top50 PKGA, and Top 50 combined RTSS (blocks and Hits) only six dmen did that last year.

What I can see is a young RD (chorney) who is suppose to be a offesive dman generating our best defensive numbers.

Smid a special Physical Defensive dman. Which is nice considering 2 of the 6 last year were M. greene and J. Hedja.

Jason Strudwick who should be 4th line sloted at forward and playing primary LD PK role every game. It should have been that last year.

Denis Grebeshkov who is just outside top 50 in PK and EVGA. Is a potential 6 for 6 Dman

The question is which of Gilbert, Souray, Vish.

When MPS and Eberle join the team next year we will be a very young team.

Penner
    Gagner
    Hemsky

MPS
    Horcoff
    Eberle

Jacques
    Brule
    o'sullivan

Studwick
    Cogliano
    Stortini

Do Vish and Souray fit the team?
    Especially if Peckham steps in to the third LD Role.

Then you ask who of the 4 LD goes
    Souray
    Grebs
    Smid
    Peckham.

Answer Souray.

RD
    Vish
    Gilbert
    Chorney

Dump Vish and Bring in Seidenberg for 2.6M less.

47. speeds says:

raven:

No, it doesn't work that way.

48. Dennis says:

rbear: I always enjoy your stats-based opinion. The funny thing about Seidenberg was one day I was randomly going through BTN looking to find guys that maybe slipped under the radar and, fuck, his numbers looked good. I'd also remembered an int or two when Hitch spoke highly of him.

One last thing about MPS – and I ask this of you because I remember you citing Omark's SEL stats in accordance to his birthdate so you should be able to answer this – is I'm wondering if this is a slamdunk he'll be an Oiler come '11? Just at first blush, his extrapolated SEL stats would look great but would it be a killer to ask him to stay in Swe or start in the A or perhaps do the same for Eberle?

The cream rises to the top but can we really have both of these guys in next year's lineup considering the youth we already employ?

Trak: Yeah, you're right, the same principles apply. But there's no way anyone that could do what Horc does would be available for 750K. Now for an amount of 3 mill, there probably is.

49. rickibear says:

If that logic works for 44 then it has to work for 10, right?

Traktor: Nice logic Lets go find a center who is one of the top pk, Ev Neutral zone, Defensive zone centers in the league. Who does it against the leagues best.

Give me your list of centers that can do that.

I am smilling Because I know the centers that are able to do that. there are 4;

there cap hits are
    5.75M 80 points (rfa)Averages 7M the next 6 years.
    5.5M 53 points (ufa)
    3.375M 47 points (rfa)which takes him to his ufa years.
    1.75M 59Points with an expected 2.5-3M raise in his rfa contract

The ufa contract is below the average for outscoring tough comp centers in the league.

50. rickibear says:

can you name them!

51. rickibear says:

Dennis: I like to use history as a player reference.

MPS is on a .75PPG pace in SEL at 18 or as they refer u19.

Since the start of the SEL that has only been achieved three times by THE T. Sandstrom, P. forsberg, and D. Sedin.

Here is the list of u19 Players good enough to exceed .55PPG. You will recognize them all.

Matts Naslund 77-78 .55PPG
    T. Johnsson 78-79 .62PPG
    T. Steen 78-79 .72 PPG
    K. Dahjlin 81-82 .64PPG
    T. Sandstrom 82-83 1.00PPG
    F.Olausson 84-85 .62PPG
    M. Sundin 89-90 .55PPG
    Markus Naslund 90-91 .60PPG
    M. Renberg 90-91 .60PPG
    P. Forsberg 90-91 .75PPG
    D. Sedin 98-99 .82PPG
    H. Sedin 98-99 .70PPG
    N. Backstrom 05-06 .56PPG
    MPS 09-10 .75PPG

Dennis I think history says something interesting.

52. raventalon40 says:

@speeds and @Woodguy

That's weird.

What's the benefit to frontloading a contract, then?

53. R O says:

@speeds and @Woodguy

That's weird.

What's the benefit to frontloading a contract, then?

- Player gets his money earlier
    - The CBA loophole that allows for early retirement