Opening Night Roster Shows A Lot of Change

Although the actual jobs won in training camp were few and far between, the change in roster makeup year over year is exceptional for these Edmonton Oilers.

A season ago, Dwayne Roloson was not the starting goalie, Ladislav Smid wasn’t in the opening night lineup (last night’s was his first on opening day since 2006), Erik Cole was a left winger and Fernando Pisani a center.

What a difference a year makes.

Opening Night 2008
  • Line 1: Horcoff-Cole-Hemsky
  • Line 2: Gagner-Cogliano-Nilsson
  • Line 3: Pisani-Moreau-Penner
  • Line 4: Brodziak-Pouliot-Stortini
  • D1: Souray-Visnovsky
  • D2: Grebeshkov-Gilbert
  • D3: Strudwick-Staios
  • G: Garon

The important notes are Cole at LW, Garon starting and Pisani at center. Lots of experience along the blue, but as always with the Kevin Lowe Oilers balance is a concern at the starting gate.

Opening Night 2009

• Line 1: Horcoff-Jacques-Hemsky
  • Line 2: Comrie-O’Sullivan-Stone
  • Line 3: Brule-Penner-Cogliano
  • Line 4: Gagner-Moreau-Stortini
  • D1: Souray-Staios
  • D2: Grebeshkov-Gilbert
  • D3: Smid-Visnovsky
  • G: Khabibulin

Incredible, isn’t it? Of the 12 men who skated at forward for Edmonton last night, just over half of them (seven players: Horcoff, Hemsky, Penner, Cogliano, Gagner, Moreau, Stortini) were in the opening night lineup one year ago. Gone from opening night 2008 are Cole and Brodziak (traded), Pisani and Pouliot (injured) and Robert Nilsson was a healthy scratch. The blue is pretty much identical and the goalie is new.

57 Responses to "Opening Night Roster Shows A Lot of Change"

The entire 2nd line is made up of players who were not Oilers last year.

Which is good because I'd love to see the kid line play some sheltered minutes.

That should read "were not Oilers at this time last year"

3. PDO says:

Worrisome fact-o-the-day.

And I think someone brought it up last night, but given the way the game ended and the amount of beer I may have consumed…

Patrick O'Sullivan has a career 7.5% shooting percentage.

Shawn Horcoff gets blasted for his inability to finish… the worst he's ever posted in any given season is 9.4%, and his career average is 12.8%.

… that's the difference between scoring on every 13 shots and scoring on every 8 shots.

O'Sullivan does a lot of good on the ice, but I have a feeling he's going to be a very frustrating player to watch offensively…

Is there a mendoza line for shooting%? I started to search for guys with similar career averages, and it seems virtually every top 9er is hitting at least 10%.

Moreau – 10.2%
    Pisani – 13.3%
    Kotalik – 10.6%
    Reasoner – 10.1%
    Lupul – 10.4%
    Hartnell – 10.6%
    Cleary – 8.6%
    GlenX – 11.3

And on it goes…

Guys who had a shooting % under 7.5 and took at least 100 shots last season?

Byufeglin, Sammuelsson, Markov, Letang, Bieksa, Simmonds, Rafalski, Fisher, Schneider, Chimera, Hecht, Dubinsky, Moen, Edler, J. Jokinen…

Ouch…

4. PunjabiOil says:

I'd expect Pisani and Pouliot to be back soon. Will be interesting who they waive in that event – MacIntyre and Stone would be the best bets.

In other news, I just read that on Wheel of Fortune a few days ago, a trip was awarded to a contestant to….*Drum roll* Edmonton. The puzzle was 'Gateway to the North'

5. PunjabiOil says:

POS can still carry value as those SOG can lead to rebounds (we saw it with the Penner goal).

At the very least, he's a 2nd line player in the league. He's still young, and the numbers could progress in his career.

6. jon k says:

O'Sullivan is going to have a low shooting percentage until he starts making better shooting decisions or works on his accuracy on shots he gets off quickly.

He'll take three garbage shots every game that will push his shooting totals up.

I agree he will be a frustrating player to watch going forward. Especially considering that he's been frustrating to watch for some (read: me) for a while.

7. SK Oiler Fan says:

D. Moore signs with the Panthers for 1 year.

Again, I don't even want to know the salary. It's too painful.

D. Moore signs with the Panthers for 1 year.

Again, I don't even want to know the salary. It's too painful.

I've never understood everyone who wanted the Oilers to pick up Moore.

He was barely break even player last year against pedestrian comp.

BTN has him as -0.004 QualComp 0.084 with GFON/60 3.23 and GAON/60 3.11

4v5 stats are down at BTN or I would include those as well.

He had 13g 32a in 81 games played, and that was his career year.

He was 54% on the dot.

Whoopdee freaking do.

We already have a better version of this player named Comrie on a nice contract.

9. SK Oiler Fan says:

Not saying D. Moore was #1 on the shopping list, but he would have filled a hole for a bargain.

D. Moore: 6ft, 188lbs
    SHTOI = 2:19 / GM
    FO% = 54.1%

M. Comrie: 5' 10", 185lbs
    SHTOI = 3 seconds / GM
    FO% = 41.3%

Tell me what was a bigger need for the Edmonton Oilers for 09/10:

A. Another 2nd line smurf.

B. Somebody who can PK and win a F'in faceoff.

However, I do like Comrie as a player and his contract.

10. SK Oiler Fan says:

Apparently Edmonton isn't the only team on some wives' will not live there list:

Copied from The 4th Period.com:

The New York Rangers and Alexei Semenov had agreed to a one-year contract following training camp, but the Ottawa Sun reports the defenseman's wife nixed the deal.
    According to the paper, the Rangers had even announced the signing, worth $600,000, but Mrs. Semenov did not find the terms acceptable.

"He agreed, his agent (Allan Walsh) agreed, his wife didn't," Rangers GM Glen Sather told the Sun. "He couldn't talk his family into it. In all my years dealing with players, I've never had that happen before. He was crying."

The Sun suggests Semenov could spend the season in Russia, as two KHL teams have expressed an interest in him.

11. SK Oiler Fan says:

And in the Crust department:
    Comrie – 30 hits, 32PIMS
    Moore – 75 hits, 92PIMS

Moore is an exceptional skater, Comrie average.

Comrie was the sexy, interesting signing. Moore was the smarter signing for the Oilers.

12. SK Oiler Fan says:

Moore got 1.1M by the way according to Capgeek

13. Gerta Rauss says:

Did the winning contestant refuse to accept the prize until they changed the trip to San Jose?

14. Racki says:

(in regards to the Wheel of Fortune trip to Edmonton prize)
    Wow, I guess times really are tough in the US right now. :P

15. James L. says:

Good Lord, why anyone would turn down the chance to live in the Big Apple is beyond me.

A. Another 2nd line smurf.

B. Somebody who can PK and win a F'in faceoff

A. 2" and 3lbs is negligible when you are still under 200lbs.

B. Moore was the worst rated penalty killer on Buffalo's stats. I thought it might be because he was in Toronto for most of the season. Nope, only Jamal Mayers had a worse PK rating for a Toronto forward. Only Grebs had a worse rating on the Oilers. Every Oiler forward who played more than 1.5PKM/60 was rated higher. Even thecaptainehtanmoreau.

So he will win you 1 more faceoff per 10, 1 more hit every second game and that's pretty much it.

Whoopdee freaking do.

17. Icecastles says:

On an unrelated note, ex-oiler Erik Cole is out with a broken leg.

18. Smarmy Boss says:

I guess one could be frustrated with POS if you hate guys that throw the puck at the net.

I for one wasn't bothered by a lot of his shots on net as there wasn't a better play. Plus people get even more livid when players try to get cute and it results in nothing on the net.

19. kris says:

Hmmm… Cole is down and they'll need a replacement.

Carolina's been a frequent trade partner as of late.

Could we package Nilsson + to get a two way player out of Carolina?

20. SK Oiler Fan says:

You can disect the stats however way you want. Moore's are just better across the board. It adds up to a more complete and universal player.

I'm not as good with these advanced stats as most so feel free to double check them.

ESGF WOI / 20min:

PPPTS/60min:
    Moore = 4.12
    Comrie = 2.06

Shots / GM:
    Moore = 2.04
    Comrie = 1.92

Moore was better suited to fill the 3rd line C, PK role. While Comrie is an excellent player he is not a better version of Moore. Different types of players.

21. Stuart van says:

I like the jam the Oilers had on Saturday night. Overall, more positives and negatives, despite the L.

As to the line up. Seems to me Glencross would be an upgrade on Stone. Stoll would be a useful 3rd line centre. And Matt Greene would provide some nice great on the rear. The Oilers at the end of 08 seemed to be a team on the rise, and then as we all know they fell flat in 09. Seems like some of the moves they made in the summer of 08 created the very holes that killed our 09. Not a good year for Lowe. And yes, this has been debated many times, that the Visnovsky for Stoll and Greene trade might favor the Oilers on a player for player basis – but Gilbert and Grebeshkov were showing improvement, and Souray was due to return from injury, so creating new holes to fill a hole that likely wouldn't exist was probably a mistake.

22. Bruce says:

SHOOOOOOOOT!!! Yeah, he'll make those people happy.

No doubt that POS is a shooter, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But as I keep saying in the Corsi/Sv% debates, shots on goal are not themselves the objective. Sure it's fine that, for example, POS took 122 more shots on net than Penner last year, but who put the puck in the net more often? One guy wastes a lot of shots and has lousy percentages as a result; the other should probably shoot more but his Sh% is excellent.

23. doritogrande says:

Could we package Nilsson + to get a two way player out of Carolina?

I'm pretty sure Carolina's set at forward, even with the loss of Cole.

They can just plug in one of their Dub grads (Sutter, Boychuk or Bowman) and they'll be okay.

I'm still going to pimp the Nilsson to Toronto for John Mitchell trade I suggested a while back. Haven't heard anything horribly negative about Mitchell yet to deter me.

On yet another related note, Dubnyk got absolutely lit up yesterday in a 6-2 Springfield loss. In addition to Dubnyk's bad night, Plante went -3. New candidate for the "Taylor Chorney +/- Award" anyone? On a more positive Springfield note, Johan Motin with his first point, a shorthanded assist.

//I'm not a fan of throwing the puck at the net when it has no chance of going in, which POS seems to do a couple times a game.//

What if Dustin Penner (size, hands, good puck distributer) is in front of the net?

O'Sullivan shoots. Penner puts in the rebound, or dishes it off to Gagner, who shoots or slides a sublime pass to one of the defenseman or back to O'Sullivan.

25. Bruce says:

Based on a tiny sample size (Saturday's first goal), Penner gets a goal, POS gets an assist, and both get credit with a SoG. That certainly works. :)

//Stoll would be a useful 3rd line centre. And Matt Greene would provide some nice great on the rear. //

Stoll isn't good enough defensively to be a third line centre, must less a $3.6 million dollar third line centre, which is what he is earning. And at $3.6 million, he would be a grossly overpaid incompetent 2nd line centre. Stoll is a special teams specialist, and an extremely mediocre hockey player otherwise. The Oilers don't need him on the power play. He would help on the PK, but in the end, penalty killing is coaching and goaltending.

Greene earns $3 million a season. They could keep one of Smid or Greene, and made the better choice because of age and salary, and because Peckham is close.

Visnovsky is a really good hockey player. Give him a few games get over the rust from the shoulder injury.

27. Alice says:

Re: POS,
    If you're going to give the puck away I'm pretty fine with that being in the other team's crease. As opposed to some back-pass cute Jr.B move that hands-off to the bad guys at their blue line.

He seems to have a nice way through the neutral zone too, good acceleration and when he gets it in gear they drop back, nobody wants to step up and make themselves a pylon for a youtube clip. So color me pretty happy with POS, I'll be interested to see what his GF/GA look like in a few months.

SK,

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

The stats you posted help my case though.

The Oilers need a tough minute, PK guy who can win face offs, and preferable is strong/tough.

Moore doesn't play tough minutes, isn't a good PK, isn't big and strong. He does win face offs though.

Is is much more like Comrie than like what we need.

Also remember that you are comparing Comrie's worst injury riddled season to Moore's career year…..and Comrie doesn't come too badly.

Does anyone know of a site that has game by game TOI/team mate?

I searched hockeyanalysis.com but couldn't find anything for this year.

I want to know Hemsky/Staois TOI together, as well as others.

Thank you in advance.

The puck never has a chance to go in if its not directed on the net.

Think of this Vijay Singh quote, "100% of the putts that do not reach to hole do not go in"

Same with pucks.

Good things happen when the puck goes towards the net. Especially when your team goes to the net as well.

31. Dennis says:

Vic, if you are still reading, can you drop me a line? I tried entering the scoring chance date for Sat night vs the Flames and there appears to be a glitch there; more likely is it needs a brief upgrade to take into account games for the 2010 season but I'd have no idea how to do that.

In any case, I had the Oil outchancing Cgy at 19-16; I had the chances at 13 apiece at evens and the Oilers winning the ST battle by a 6-3 count. Of course that's funny given that Cgy scored two goals on their PP.

32. Stormwatch says:

Madden, John
    Pahlsson, Samuel
    Fiddler, Vernon
    Lang, Robert

33. SK Oiler Fan says:

Woodguy,
    I recognize Comrie had a bad year last year. Hard not to on the Island and on a slightly above average Sens team.

I like Comrie and his salary and expect him to put up much better numbers than last year. His signing meant another smurf should be on the block though.

There was just such a glaring hole at 3C and the PK. It would have been nice if management had tried somebody who at least had a chance to fullfill the role. There were cheap, low risk options out there. If the player didn't fullfill the role, oh well, the risk was low: 1 year, low salary.

34. SK Oiler Fan says:

Stuart van:
    Remember it's not referred to as Jam anymore.

It's Crust

35. R O says:

Calgary had less than half the PP time Edmonton did given they scored on their chances. That probably explains it.

SK,

Totally agree.

I just disagree that Moore is able to fill that role.

37. pboy says:

Re: POS,

I'm with you. At the very least the puck's going in the right direction when you are putting it on the other guy's net, better than a backpass at the blueline. Also, I think the guy is going to start filling up the net and will be a 25 goal scorer for the Oil.

38. DBO says:

Looks like nilsson will draw in tomorrow, and moreau will sit. Moreau's ankle is inflamed and infected and will probably miss the game. Brings some skill to teh 4th line, and maybe nilsson and gagner get some magic going against Dallas.

39. SK Oiler Fan says:

Yah, Moore certainly wasn't at the top of the list for 3C/PK duty. A little too high event. This was my order of preference for UFAs. Some obviously weren't realistic given their salary or history.

Madden
    Malhotra
    Pahlsson
    Peca if healthy
    Betts
    Goc
    Moore

Of course there are many appealing candidates via the trade route.

40. Dennis says:

There were a few things that came to me while I watched the game and one of them was how this could quickly feel like anything other than 18's team.

//I didn't check the EVTOI but if guys like 22 and 27 are banging around And if the PK continues to sink, then what does 18 really have to offer?//

Prediction:
    Moreau and Staios, if they aren't traded by next summer, are going to receive the treatment Jason Smith received from Ottawa this year. i.e. If you want to collect on the final year of your contract, you will collect it in the AHL. Smith decided to retire rather than endure the "indignity".

Only if our GM has balls and wants to win.

Who's to say that those guys don't receive the balance of that contract with checks that have Rexall on them instead of Edmonton Oilers?

Who's to say Smith isn't getting the same from Biovail.

Actually suitcases of cash are preferable due to cash having no memory.

This is the NHL though, its not like anyone would care if you did an end around the CBA with cash.

Not unless Moreau and Staios think they have more years left and want to play.

43. shep says:

mps with a goal on a sweet feed from anton lander in todays game

44. SK Oiler Fan says:

The Oilers haven't played the demotion or retire card in their history have they? I can't see it happening with guys like Staios and Moreau, two long time vets with letters.

It appears in management's minds they're still rewarding Staios/Moreau/Pisani for the 06 run.

Staios and Moreau are the perfect candidates for the Jason Smith treatment though.

Lots of other teams seem to do it with no noticeable backlash from the player, the PA, or the league.

45. Big T says:

So I was listening to NHL Home Ice on XM radio this morning and they had a pre-recorded interview with Quinn from Staurday afternoon.

In it Quinn said something to the effect of "we have a lot of guys that seem to not be interested in playing at both ends of the ice. In fact, it may have cost the last coach his job… I don't know. Either way, we're going to have to ensure these guys learn to play on that side of the puck or we won't be successful."

Discuss.

T

46. hunter1909 says:

"Why not the Oilers? Becasue they hold loyalty and tradition in higher regard than winning."

This comment, as honest and well meaning as it truly is, is absurd. Every single good player the Oilers have ever had was traded away. Often in ignomious circumstances.

The only loyalty this disfunctional franchise shows, in reality, is to company hacks who in other cities would have been sacked years ago, for incompetance.

47. Master Lok says:

Before we kick Staios and Moreau to the curb, let's see if the kids can actually perform consistently first. Jacques previous zero point season and Stone's lack of NHL experience may not be the best to base our judgements on.

48. Bruce says:

If you put it there to no purpose it can be going the other way in a hurry.

Hypothesizing, a free shooter might be expected to put up a Corsi ratio that is better than his goal differential, which will make some people happy but doesn't really accomplish a whole lot.

So let's see if O'Sullivan fits that mould. Checking his results for 2008-09 on the new and improved BehindTheNet.com, POS ranked first among Oilers in SF/60 and in Corsi/60, and fourth behind Penner, Hemsky and Horcoff in relative Corsi which is probably a better measure since POS played most of the season elsewhere. Point is he had good shots/60 data (+30.6/-26.0) and not so fine goals/60 data (+2.51/-2.61), meaning wherever he was the percentages caught up with him. He was an outshooter but not an outscorer. Quelle surprise.

TimeOnIce.com, meanwhile, analyzes just his time with the Oilers where his percentages were particularly brutal (PDO of just .964 including a gawdawful Sh% ON of 5.1%). So again his "underlying numbers" were much better than his actual results.

The stats guys will be spluttering in their coffee at this point saying those dice will start to roll more evenly and all I can say is I certainly hope you're right. He'll be an interesting guy to follow up close and personal for an extended stretch.

better than a backpass at the blueline.

It's possible to do both at different times. Funny you should mention that particular infraction, PBoy, Patio Furniture made perhaps the worst backpass of Saturday's game at his own blueline, a cutesy play back to Gagner when he just needed to be getting it up and out. 3 minutes or so left, POS replacing Stortini presumably for defensive purposes. Gagner wound up having to make an emergency dump under pressure into the bench and very nearly over the glass, the Oilers lost the subsequent own zone faceoff and the one after that, and while nothing really bad happened there were some nervous moments as the Oil continued to have trouble clearing the zone. In its context it was a terrible play, one that makes old coaches go grey(er).

I certainly hope so. Unfortunately on Saturday he missed the net with his best chances; I actually liked his instincts for when to let 'er rip on all three of those plays but his accuracy was off. But some of his shots that were on goal were absolute muffins.

49. Bruce says:

POS ranked first among Oilers in SF/60**

SF ON/60

Bruce: Are those Oilers stats alone, or his complete season?

51. ian says:

off topic but not off colour

Phillipe Cornet
    In 8 games 7 goals 8 assists

Eberle In 3 games has 4 goals and 4 assists and is plus 5

52. pboy says:

Bruce: You definitely aren't wrong about shooting for shooting sake but it's been awhile (IMO) since this team has had a guy who was more concerned about scoring than he was concerned about how he looked when he was scoring and I think POS might be that guy. His percentages haven't looked all that good but he did have a nice pre-season putting the puck in the net and he had some A-1 chances that he couldn't put behind Kipper but if he keeps going to the same spots, he will bury them eventually. This is such a fancy, dangling, extra pass team that's been lacking a guy who will set up some of the ugly, rebound type goals by putting the puck on the net. Just my 2 cents.

53. SK Oiler Fan says:

Hunter,
    I should have phrased it as more of a question. I'm not convinced of the loyalty reasoning either.

It just seems Oiler management hasn't used the buyout or AHL demotion CBA loopholes to their advantage.

Is Hrabl the only recent contract that's been bought out?

We know the Oilers have had their share of bad contracts so why haven't they conveniently swept them under the rug like many other teams?

Philly and NJ are the first teams that come to mind that have used this CBA tool to their advantage.

Is it money? I guess in the EIG's case it would have been, but now they have Katz cash.

54. Black Dog says:

So Bruce, do you like anyone on the Oilers besides Stortini and Souray? Because you seem to go out of your way to take pretty detailed potshots at a lot of guys on this club. Just wondering.

55. Bruce says:

Bruce: Are those Oilers stats alone, or his complete season?

LT: BtN are full season with the Oilers stats folded in but only about a quarter of the whole thing (thus my comment about Relative Corsi); TOI stats are just from those 19 games with the Oil. It's a mixed bag … I'll be much more interested to see him entirely in an Oiler context in 2009-10.

PBoy: Don't necessarily disagree. Like I said, he'll be an interesting player to follow cuz he is very different in that respect.

Ouch. Sorry if it comes across that way, BD. My goal is to maintain a balance. Ex-coach that I am, I put all these guys under the microscope and will criticize individual plays (like that drop pass) and try to identify tendencies. If those are pot shots, then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

I consider myself a fan of most of the players on the team, not a fan of a very select few, with the jury out on several of them, especially the new guys like POS. (Wasn't a fan of the trade cuz of the term and cap hit for a guy who seemed similar to other smurfs, but am hopeful he will be versatile enough — read: PK capable — and that his shot-happy mentality will actually work, as I tried to fold in above.)

During my time on the Oilogosphere I have written at various times, spirited and detailed defences/fanboy posts about Shawn Horcoff, Dustin Penner, Robert Nilsson, Fernando Pisani, Kyle Brodziak, Zack Stortini, Curtis Glencross, Liam Reddox, J-F Jacques, Ladislav Smid, Denis Grebeshkov, Sheldon Souray and Matt Greene, to name quite a few. I guess you only read two of those?

56. Black Dog says:

Just giving you the gears Bruce, just giving you the gears. ;)

57. Bruce says:

'K. Cuz if I'm turning into a bitter old man, somebody needs to tell me.