Red Wings at Oilers, G13, 09-10

Doug MacLean is most famous for trying to kill hockey in Columbus. Lately he’s back in the news as one of the latest hires for hockey’s inferior network, Rogers. MacLean can be seen most nights using the words “Shawn Horcoff” and “7 million” in the same sentence and framing the issue in the most negative possible way without shining a light on the situation.

For the record, the number we need to remember with regard to Shawn Horcoff is 5.5 (million). That’s his cap hit and he’ll get that annually through the summer of 2015.

Horcoff has had a difficult start to the season, but coach Quinn has no real alernative at center. All the kids are kids and Michael Peca, Marty Reasoner, Jarret Stoll, Kyle Brodziak and others are in other towns.

Jason Gregor mentioned in an article over at Oilers Nation that JF Jacques was playing on Horcoff’s line (I believe O’Sullivan was the RW) at yesterday’s practice in an effort to shake things up. I think we can expect lots of shuffling the next few nights as coach Quinn figures out which players have their legs.

The Oilers haven’t scored a goal since the 2nd period of Saturday’s game and that’s 40 miles of bad road. What this team needs is a big offensive game from Shawn Horcoff. He needs it too.

452 Responses to "Red Wings at Oilers, G13, 09-10"

« Older Comments
  1. shepso says:

I wonder if Quinn has just lashed Peckham and poor Strudwick with the onion belt?

(let it be known that I am a bit of a Strudwick apologist. I think once everyone is healthy that he should be treated like JDD and get to play one in every four…that way his old legs don't give out every time he's on the ice, but they still keep his character in the room)

Big character win for the boys tonight, but it shouldn't have come to this though. And now back to my scotch. The presser should be something else…

2. SK Oiler Fan says:

Yup, it's time to put Gags shootouts on the shelf for a while.
    Hemmer and Patty should be automatic then it's whoever looks to have a hot hand.
    Pisani, Horc, Nilson, should be bumping Gags down the list.

Add in 24, 34, 91 and 71 for Saturday's game against a very depleted Bruin's team and they have a chance to start to road trip on a good note.

Peckham can fly on the charter to Boston then take the bus to Springfield.

Why isn't that team call the Isotopes?

Quinn presser should be terrific:

"We got all Barbara Ann Scott and then when Detroit found that outlet up the middle our boys are acting like Noah and rounding up two of everything. So we sat Peckstead and Strudwillie and I'm not going to let the Pony line out there again."

Oops, guess 24 is still a ways away.

Damn.

Tencer saying 44 out for the entire month of November.

6. Rob Gilgan says:

Well, that was kind of excrutiating …

7. Showerhead says:

Between this and you and BDHS going on about pills my carpet is thanking the shag-gods that I didn't just spit beer all over it. I'm scared as shit to, how did Dennis say it, "grow up", but if I keep my humour like you guys all have I'll be a happy cane wielder.

8. Showerhead says:

With that, off to the bar! Thank you Edmonton for the 65 year old heart, thank you Wise Guys for the 65 year old liver :)

9. Bruce says:

On the bright side, score one for special teams. Powerplay was 2/3, PK 3/3, and the shootout squad stole the Bettman Point.

10. PDO says:

The Oilers had 25 more shots directed at their net than they directed at Detroit's at 5v5 tonight.

However, the big line directed 7 more shots to the net than Detroit while on the ice at 5v5.

… which means when they weren't on the ice, the rest of the team was outshot (shots directed, not on net) by a whopping 32.

Peckham and Strudwick lead the group at -16 a piece. Moreau -15. Cogliano, Brule and Gagner all -13. Nilsson -12.

To complicate matters, Gagner was absolutely schooled on the dot, going 0/7.

This team needs to waive Nilsson, get Pisani back in the lineup ASAP, and get another veteran forward who can support the puck properly in all 3 zones in a hurry.

11. spOILer says:

I don't think I saw the D stand up at the blue line once in the last half of the game, but considering who the D were and the quality coming at them I'm not surprised.

I think I'm going to start to watch Brule a little more closely. I think his point total has a certain amount of luck involved and I hadn't really bought in, but his play is starting to make me think we should trade Pouliot to a University Hospital research program. If Brule can keep this up, there is no way Pou earns his job back, not at centre at least.

Where is PaddyO's release in regulation? That was a world class shot in the shootout.

12. raventalon40 says:

Rogers – at least it's not OLN.

13. Dennis says:

If 44's really done for the whole month of November, then we're looking at another year spoiled of his contract.

14. spOILer says:

Dennis,

not another month spoiled?

15. striatic says:

Theo Peckham is starting to scare me a bit but Chorney continues to look solid, at least by comparison.

In which order should Strudwick, Peckham and Chorney be removed from the lineup as Visnovsky, Staios and Souray return?

16. danny says:

Quinn: "The player I was mad with the most scored the winning goal for us"

17. HBomb says:

Quick hitter thoughts:

Horpensky with an "F U" to the doubters tonight.

Scotch of any type tastes like liquid styrofoam.

The only mistake Pedro Martinez made with respect Don Zimmer is that he didn't hit him with a full on Jake "The Snake" Roberts style DDT. If it wears pinstripes, it deserves to have the living tar knocked out of. Sincerely, Boston Red Sox fan.

Scarves being sold at the game to support Hockey Fights Cancer. I purchased nine at 20 bucks a pop (1 for myself, 1 for each of the other four family members I split my season seats with, and four as Christmas gifts for people I'd usually buy a 2-6 for). Each scarf came with an autographed Oiler player card, which you didn't know whom you were getting. Me? Pouliot. One I gave to my uncle? Visnovsky. Shit.

And this, for Bruce:

HBomb: They both are. But I'd bet the house Horcoff bounces back before Daily Doug does.

Don't you have to be good to begin with in order to "bounce back"? Daily Doug has always sucked.

18. Bruce says:

Hmmm, that's a tough one …

Peckham: 13:21, -2, penalty, Corsi -15 (+2/-17)

Strudwick: 15:30, -3, 3 GV, Corsi -15 (+2/-17)

Chorney: 20:56, even, 3 shots, Corsi 0 (+14/-14)

Based on tonight's evidence Chorney is the keeper, and it's not close.

19. shepso says:

H-Bomb, you simply haven't found the right kind. Glenfiddich does resemble liquid something or other, but there are far superior malts… you'll get there sooner or later.

Too bad about the poo card, but be thankful you get to see games up close and personal. I haven't been to RX1 since game 3 of the western final. Must have been crazy in there tonight.

20. HBomb says:

More thoughts:

Jacques looks like more of an NHLer right now than Moreau by my eye. That doesn't take much though.

Penner for Team Canada? He keeps this up, maybe Babcock and Yzerman think of a "Duck" line of Penner reunited with Getzlaf and *spits* Perry.

How long until Detroit calls Vancouver about Cory Schneider?

If the goal Horc scored can be termed a slumpbuster, he took home the fattest girl in the bar, and she had Todd Bertuzzi's facial hair. That was about as ugly as they come – that puck hit the back of the net, somewhere, Ryan Smyth blushed.

21. shepso says:

agreed. Chorney stays. Last year must have been an anomaly; he looks like a keeper.

Poor Strudwick.

22. Bruce says:

HBomb: True dat. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but you're right, there is no doubt. I only listen very rarely (and with reason), but have caught Daily Doug's diatribe a few times and have yet to hear him present a cogent discussion point.

***

Tough luck with the cards. Poo happens.

23. Oilman says:

I think someone needs a new dead horse for Christmas:o)

24. doritogrande says:

Go check out the Oilers video on their halloween party. They don't actually have video (or pictures) of the costumes, but some of the ideas are just hilarious. Among the highlights:

- Cogliano as Dany Heatley
    - Penner with a big Santa suit with "no trade" written on the back for "No Trade Clause"
    - Smid as a big pink bunny

25. Bruce says:

Jacques looks like more of an NHLer right now than Moreau by my eye.

Same exercise:

Moreau 12:06, -1, 1 shot, 0 hits, Corsi -14 (+1/-15 in just 8:55 at EV)

JFJ: 15:12, even, 3 shots, 3 hits, Corsi -4 (+11/-15 in 14:05)

Not close. Thecaptain looks pretty close to done.

26. doritogrande says:

How long until Detroit calls Vancouver about Cory Schneider?

It'd cost them Helm, Abdelkader and at least a 2nd rounder.

Totally worth it though.

27. HBomb says:

Bruce: whatever, it's a nice scarf and the money all goes to a cause that's near and dear to my heart. $100 grand raised tonight for Hockey Fights Cancer. Most important stat on the night in my books. And hey, I'm one of three people who still believes Pouliot can be useful, so it's fitting.

More short thoughts:

- Someone recommend a good Scotch for me at a reasonable price, say sixty bucks for a bottle, and I'll give it a spin. Gotta say I enjoy Port, that's my "classy" drink.

- Speaking of classy, 11am faceoff on Saturday? That screams a combination of Don Cherry plaid boxer shorts, Fruit Loops and Corona. Goddamn I love being a bachelor sometimes.

- Zetterberg and Lidstrom are absolute beauties. On the other end, karma still hasn't bit Bertuzzi, Kronwall is the Swedish Phaneuf (only a better hockey player), and I want to see someone's fist have a meeting with Holmstrom's face. Tons of respect for the Wings though.

- I think we need to start facing some scary reality here people: if I was a betting man and could get odds on Souray not playing another game this year, I'd lay coin on it. If he hasn't shown any signs of improvement and it's been a full three weeks, we might be staring a Patrice Bergeron style situation in the face here. For the good of the guy's health, at some point the Oil are going to need to treat it like a baseball team treats a young pitcher with a sore arm – shut him down until September and make 100% sure he's well. Yes, it would mean 2 out of 3 years of his contract down the shitter, but a concussion isn't like another recurrence of a previous problem. Could happen to anyone. And to think that Iginla got a 2 minute penalty for a dangerous play that robbed the Oilers of their de-facto on ice leader (yes, Moreau is that irrelevant) – Jarome has dropped so far down my list of "guys on other teams I like" in the last couple weeks, it's ridiculous.

- I'm firmly a believer that Tambellini needs to look at dealing Grebeshkov when the team is fully healthy (whenever that is). I think Souray-Gilbert, Smid-Visnovsky is a good enough top four, and if you could sign a decent veteran and have Peckham/Chorney to fill out your 5/6/7 spots, the blue would be in reasonable shape. I bet a Grebeshkov/Cogliano package would draw some interest from other teams.

28. HBomb says:

dg: Vancouver's got a great asset there in Schneider. Some team at some point in the next couple of years is going to pay a premium to get the kid, but they're going to have a ready made starting goaltender. Good thing Vancouver won't deal with Calgary, because I think that's the type of deal Sutter's going to look for at some point to improve his squad.

29. HBomb says:

Tom Gilbert went as a cowgirl for Halloween?

Jesus Murphy, to quote BDHS – there's going to be Messier/Anderson type "rumors" around town if he does anymore stuff like that.

30. shepso says:

Hbomb…
    peckham scares me. He's not quite ready for primetime yet.

As far as scotch goes in that price range, look into craggamore, 12 year. or Laphroig. If you're willing to go up to like 80 or so, Macallan 12 year has become one of my favorites and it has a 95 rating in a couple different scotch guides. Bruce likes the Isley scotches, as we discussed earlier. He mentioned Bowmore, and they tend to be in the 45-65 range as well. The Isley region malts tend to be a bit on the peaty side, the Craggamore and Laphroig is a bit smokier. The Macallan is just simply very good. Really smooth.

I respect your call on the port, but I just find it to be too sweet. After growing up being forced to drink Jewish wine at many holidays, sweet grape based liquor gives me the fear now.

31. Hugh says:

I'm not a huge scotch drinker, but I got a bottle of bowmore for christmas and it is fantastic and at a reasonable price….

In fact I just poured a glass:-)

32. logical thinking says:

Chorney is going to have a long nhl career. I just don't know how well he shoots the puck. Kind of like Smid.

33. raventalon40 says:

Schneider?

I was thinking more like Roloson or Biron when DiPietro gets back.

Toskala is also available.

34. Masamax says:

I'm a big fan of the Bruichladdich myself for islay scotches, and you should be able to find it around that price. Highland Park 12 is a great value single malt as well, and ussually goes for ~$55

Of course, JW Black Label is always a good backup if you prefer something a bit more smooth.

35. Oilman says:

Tom Gilbert went as a cowgirl for Halloween?

I don't want to outright say the guy is gay, but have you ever read his blog? Shoe addiction, takes his mom to musicals, loves High School Musical? Did I mention the shoe shopping thing?

36. Nelson88 says:

"Here's a hypothetical – if you're the Oil and Vancouver, noting Eberle's chemistry with Hodgson from the last WJC, calls and offers you Schneider straight up for young Jordan, do you entertain that?"

No! I don't mind Schneider as a prospect but to this point he has shown less in the NHL than JDD has. Asia and others may not agree but I am skeptical that when all is said in done he will have a better NHL career than JDD (Oilers or otherwise).

37. grease trap says:

Re: Gilbert.

These days, who cares? Wear a dress to the arena, really. I'd love to see Cherry get apoplexic over that!

38. doritogrande says:

Oh man, in a heartbeat I'd make that trade. I've watched Schneider develop for three years here in WPG and every year he just keeps getting better. He may not be an elite goalie in the Brodeur/Luongo mold, but at the very least he should hit the level of a Giguere or Vokoun.

We've already got a lot of small scorers, Eberle as good as he is, is a duplicated asset who is not as good as MPS. I'd call the trade a case of asset management and sit back to reap the rewards.

39. Bar Qu says:

Isn't Gilbert's corsi and other advanced stats more important than any of that other stuff? I mean, it makes for good celebrity gossip fodder, but there are other websites if you interested in that kind of stuff.

As far as the game goes, I am glad I did not watch the whole thing. I've already got my children taking years off my life.

40. Bar Qu says:

Oh, and as far as Schneider goes – stay away from the 'star' goalie. Keep your young, speedy, talented forwards for acquiring players you need (like young, speedy, talented forwards).

Goalies are witchcraft, mixed with bad juju. And good ones cost too much, relative to what you can get from tweeners.

41. doritogrande says:

I think the faceoff charts are definitely worth noting tonight.

Gagner went Ofer in 7 attempts

Horcoff below 50%

Brule 53% taking 4 fewer draws than Horcoff.

Given Brule's offensive game has been found and his ability to win faceoffs and hit a little bit, can we begin to hope that our 3C problem has been taken care of?

42. HBomb says:

Agreed totally. I'm the type of person who doesn't give a damn about that stuff in the first place. When it comes to guys who play for my sports teams, I don't give a damn with what they do off the field of play, as long as it's not illegal activity.

But we all know how this gossip crap starts.

43. kris says:

Pfff…

So Gilbert is a gay transvestite. (Glad to see people know that wearing women's clothes means you're gay, and not just a cross dresser…) Big deal. It's the 90's now. Grow up people.

Wait till people discover Grebeshkov is a communist. Cherry will go all McCarthy. That's not Darren McCarty, but McCarthy.

Never mind that we used to play Laraques, and he was a …, er… Quebecois.

44. HBomb says:

dg: Interesting facts about Horcoff's rough night on the dot. He took 18 of his 23 faceoffs against Zetterberg and Datsyuk (who played a lot together from what I saw). Went 7-of-18 in those draws. He had a rough night on the draws, yes, but he was going up against two of the absolute best in the business.

For reference, including last night's game, their respective overall FO% this year:

Datsyuk: 54.3
    Zetterberg: 52.2
    Horcoff: 51.4

And one more piece of info: Shawn Horcoff has taken 283 draws this year. Combined, Zetterberg and Datsyuk have taken 266.

Shitty night on the dot notwithstanding, I saw a lot of Horpensky vs. Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom (maybe not a "hard" match, but a lot), and the Oiler trio came out in the black. No small feat, considering two of those three guys are nothing less than elite outscorers (as shown by Derek Zona's excellent work in the past).

It's a luxury that the Wings can play those two as linemates, but with Filippula joining Franzen on the shelf, they may not be able to afford said luxury for the next couple months.

45. Bar Qu says:

dg,
    what is Brule's FO number for the year? Is he a guy that should be leaned on more heavily to take some of the weight off of Workoff's shoulders?

Or is that an unrealistic hope?

46. Bruce says:

It was Brule's hit that put Filppula on the shelf for 6-8 weeks. Only saw one angle of it, don't know how legal it was, but I do know it was a dart. Brule doesn't mind the physical play at all.

what is Brule's FO number for the year?

51/103, 49.5%. Respectable, especially when compared to Gags and Cogs. Not too far off of Horcoff. Of course the draw itself is just part of the issue, it's what you do afterwards — win or lose — that matters at least as much. People tend to oversimplify IMO.

47. Dennis says:

Oilman: it's not a dead horse as long as there are fellows out there like yourself who need to have the scales thrown from your eyes:)

Though I did get a kick out of your reading of Gilbert's blog:)

48. Oiler_Kiwi says:

I can appreciate the limitations that you have in Canada with the LCBO but I can recommend Ardbeg 10 year old and Ardbeg Uigeadail as 2 of the best readily available Islay malts. Those that have the readies should try Bowmore 18 Year Old however the best IMO is Highland Park 18 Year old. Any questions you have regarding whisky I'm happy to answer. I've been to 26 distilleries, member of Glasgow's Whisky Club and am an official whisky ambassador on Scotlandswhisky.com . Awfully glad the Oilers are back on track somewhat after a bareen period.

49. OIL LOVER says:

Freaking stone hands. Wins alot of draws though. Adam Oates' time was precious with the OIL. Horc learned how to take and win draws.

50. OIL LOVER says:

Saw a brutal stat during last nights game: Oil defencemen are leading the stinking league in giveaways!! Not good. Miss Feraro (sp) on Sportsnet.

51. Bruce says:

Mister Ferraro to you. And he's on TSN.

« Older Comments