Red Wings at Oilers, G13, 09-10

Doug MacLean is most famous for trying to kill hockey in Columbus. Lately he’s back in the news as one of the latest hires for hockey’s inferior network, Rogers. MacLean can be seen most nights using the words “Shawn Horcoff” and “7 million” in the same sentence and framing the issue in the most negative possible way without shining a light on the situation.

For the record, the number we need to remember with regard to Shawn Horcoff is 5.5 (million). That’s his cap hit and he’ll get that annually through the summer of 2015.

Horcoff has had a difficult start to the season, but coach Quinn has no real alernative at center. All the kids are kids and Michael Peca, Marty Reasoner, Jarret Stoll, Kyle Brodziak and others are in other towns.

Jason Gregor mentioned in an article over at Oilers Nation that JF Jacques was playing on Horcoff’s line (I believe O’Sullivan was the RW) at yesterday’s practice in an effort to shake things up. I think we can expect lots of shuffling the next few nights as coach Quinn figures out which players have their legs.

The Oilers haven’t scored a goal since the 2nd period of Saturday’s game and that’s 40 miles of bad road. What this team needs is a big offensive game from Shawn Horcoff. He needs it too.

452 Responses to "Red Wings at Oilers, G13, 09-10"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »

BDHS: I think you mean digressing. The Wings are digressing (Pat Quinn's vocab is marvy). :-)

As for Pedro, yeah I've been watching and he pitched a beauty. Sent an offspeed pitch (slider) to Jeter on the outside corner after jamming him with three fastballs. Perfect pitch.

2. doritogrande says:

Hemsky!

3. SK Oiler Fan says:

dorito,
    I'm wondering if Snow and had and Holland made a wink wink deal at the time of the Biron signing.

If you pay Biron for 3/4 of the year we'll give you a first rounder at the deadline.

Wouldn't doubt Biron was told about it as well.

Hemmer!

4. Kenny Powers says:

Bert's been awesome tonight. I wish he still played for Calgary or Vancouver

5. uni says:

I'm just happy Holland didn't sign Anderson as a 1b and heir to Osgood, and went with Bertuzzi for the money.

6. R O says:

Lazy lazy play by Bertuzzi

7. Bruce says:

Horcoff doubles his points total, Hemsky doubles his goals total, and Penner just keeps on rackin' up the points.

8. quain says:

I pounded the over for this game… but I didn't expect the Oilers to threaten it on their own.

9. bookie says:

I was leading the charge to see MacT relieved of his coaching duties last season but I'll be the first to admit the guy is a class act and a pretty decent commentator.

Agreed, I hope others can understand that I love the guy, but just didn't think he was a great coach for the team.

I also think that with some perspective (i.e. thinking back on what he did right and wrong with the Oil) that he could have a long career as a coach.

10. PDO says:

This is awesome.

Unbelievably surprising, but awesome.

11. Bar Qu says:

Thanks for the fill-in all. I knew MacT was takin' the high road, just didn't know the details.

12. Dennis says:

I can't see how but it still wouldn't shock me to see MAcT back working for the club.

Maybe he's just having a hard time seperating but you know he's still rooting for the club.

13. SK Oiler Fan says:

I'm thinking Holland may be on the phone a little earlier than he expected regarding goaltending. Perhaps within the next month.

Snow may not be as dumb as most people think he is. He's going to get a massive overpay for whatever goalie he auctions off.

14. quain says:

Third line centre? Would he still get to play helmetless?

15. doritogrande says:

DG: good call. but how much cap room do they have available to take on Roli or Biron?

Waive Bertuzzi?

Ken Holland's no Lou, but I'm sure he knows his way around the salary cap pretty well too. Not much salary cap room needed at the trade deadline. But, given the way Howard's been tonight and Osgood's been playing of late, they're going to need one sooner or later.

Ales Hemsky goes globetrotters on the Local boy. Damn and woohoo at the same time.

16. PDO says:

Quain:

I hit the over.

Problem is I hit Detroit ML and Detroit -1.5 as well.

Still, so long as the over hits it's not too bad…

17. doritogrande says:

Any Redwing scores tonight, I'm happy it's him. First goal too.

I'm not saying it'll be tonight, but one of these days they'll go to the Mariano well once too often.

Oilers playing a little loose this period. Long road before the final whistle.

19. SK Oiler Fan says:

Nice play, Gilbert needs more wood on that one.

Good hard-work shift by the 4line leads to a penalty by the Delvecchio's. Stortini hasn't played much tonight, has he?

21. doritogrande says:

Now who got that one? THat was a dog's breakfast.

22. Kenny Powers says:

Horc! First line centre!

23. doritogrande says:

Fuck! Scorecoff!

24. R says:

SCORCHOFF RETURNS!

I know what's happened here, I fell asleep from lack of sleep and this is some exhaustion induced delirium.

25. doritogrande says:

Dustin Penner with another 4 points tonight. As LT is wont to say.

Lordy

26. PunjabiOil says:

The kid line has some chemistry.

27. SK Oiler Fan says:

Damb I hate the Yankees. Switch to check them out and miss Horc shoving it up Mclean's ass.

28. PDO says:

HorPenSky.

It just works baby.

29. PunjabiOil says:

Dustin Penner with another 4 points tonight. As LT is wont to say.

Lets try this one again.

In English. ;)

Wonder if Penner has an outside shot at Team Canada?

30. Smytty777 says:

I was happy for Penner when he dominated to start the year and got the hyenas off his back. I might be happier for Horc right now. Good on him!

31. Kenny Powers says:

I guess Horcoff plays better without Comrie shoving his stick up his ass on a 3 on 2.

What was that anyways?

32. doritogrande says:

wont – adj. accustomed; used (usually fol. by an infinitive): He was wont to rise at dawn.

Your English lesson for the day Punjabi.

33. SK Oiler Fan says:

Even if the Phils dont't win this one they're going to make Rivera throw alot of pitches. Bodes well for a long series.

34. Black Dog says:

Hey I love Horcoff but he's never shoved anything up my ass.

I can see LT smiling from here and its matched by the grin on my face.

And just to regress a little, Laddy Smid has been all kinds of solid tonight without his mentor – that sequence with Helm in the first was textbook, man against boy the result.

And Peckham is settling down.

35. doritogrande says:

I'm comfortable with the score. Time to go play sports instead of sitting on my ass drinking more beer watching sports.

36. uni says:

As much as they talk about his size, Penner has the hands to match, freaking awesome to watch it come together.

This had to be the year I decided finally not to pick up any Oilers for my pools.

Man I just wish I'd kept Hemsky and picked up Penner and Lubo earlier.

Have all 3 now and so far it's gotten me out of the basement =D.

37. SK Oiler Fan says:

Horc's hands are back!

Nice little clear there.

FK

38. hunter1909 says:

Quinn and that suit have really got the team playing with poise.

39. uni says:

Khabibulin must have the worst luck of any goalie I've ever seen. Jesus. Time to sacrifice my best chicken.

40. Steve says:

You know we're going to lose.

41. R O says:

Zetterberg aiming for the wide-hole

42. Masamax says:

@uni: At least it's only 5-2. The ones at the Calgary games were just bonecrushingly depressing.

On a side note, whenever I get to see the Oilers play on TSN or CBC I always feel like it's a revelation after slumming through 3 or 4 games on RSN. I'm glad that when they finally play a good game that it's on TSN so I can enjoy it fully!

43. SK Oiler Fan says:

Apologies BD
    Doug Maclean of course

44. PunjabiOil says:

You hear it througout the city, at work, at social events, at HFClowns.com, etc. that Shawn Horcoff is a $7M player and as if his salary has any relevance.

Part of the problem is the media (Terry Jones, Doug McLean, et), but it doesn't take much research to discount that absurd sentiment.

You never saw Ottawa fans trotting out the $10M manin Dany Heatley or among similar lines about Spezza.

I think it's a fabricated myth that Edmonton fans are knowledgeable. Edmonton hockey fans aren't more knowledgeable – there are just more fans period.

45. Phil says:

Don't look now, but Penner is all alone in third place for league scoring.

And at such a value cap hit of only $4.25M ;)

(raise your hand if you ever thought anyone would ever say that, even in half seriousness…)

46. uni says:

I'm still heartbroken that the Heatley trade didn't go through. Penner, Smid, and Cogliano aren't too much to give up for a player of Heatley's calibre even with his cap killing salary and term =).

47. PunjabiOil says:

You got me there. Full credit.

48. hunter1909 says:

You can tell whenever most of the Oilers find themselves with the puck, anywhere on the ice, they don't panic like last season. They hold it for that split second extra, take a breath and look around to see where they want to go with it. Usually while skating directly toward the opposition goal.

It's the difference between a 10th and 6th place team.

49. Steve says:

That's just because most of them are way the hell over in Ottawa.

You got me there. Full credit.

You can still nail him on choice of punctuation.

So my wife takes my 8 month old daughter to get her H1N1 shot today.
    She asks if I can stay home from the game and help look after her. (After her regular flu shot she had a really tough night)

I weigh the Oiler's chances and after almost falling asleep at the Avs game, I decide to give my tickets away.

*sigh*

51. hunter1909 says:

Nilsson's such a pansy.

52. uni says:

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are just such sublime players.

I'm still hoping Gagner ends up as good as Datsyuk in another season or two.

53. SK Oiler Fan says:

Should have been a goal. Oilers have to keep it together better late in periods.
    You could have said that for the last three years I guess.

54. Phil says:

@ Woodguy,

I'll give you credit for putting family first.

55. PunjabiOil says:

Peckham is as slow as molasses

56. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Normally I'm as hard hearted as anyone can imagine, but wtf your 8 month old baby and wife are a million times more important than this silly game.

57. Steve says:

Yeah – this is an October game, and they count for less. And once the March games hit, flu season's over, so the dilemma doesn't even arise!

I think this third period is going to be a rollercoaster. Back in the 80's I used to work until about 8:30 at night (this was before marriage) at the radio station and get home after the first period.

It would be 2-1 Oil or something, and then the second period would be wild and the young Oilers would have popped 3 and everyone was all smiles.

Then a penalty and a goal against, and then late in the period another one. So entering the third period it is 5-3 Oilers and they should be home and dry.

EXCEPT they'd already forgotten what the coach told them in practice when the good times were rolling in the 2nd period.

And the third period was bedlam. That's what I think we'll see in this third period.

59. Bruce says:

Stortini hasn't played much tonight, has he?

Nope, just 6:13 through two after three straight games of 13:00+. Call it the MacIntyre effect. Zack got a -1 on a tough break (POS trying to play defence after a powerplay), hasn't really done much either way. Quinn had him out in the last minute again, though, something which has been happening quite a lot.

60. Black Dog says:

s.o.f. – thanks pal ;)

PJO – I think he's just figuring it out. He looks slow but compare him to Strudwick. Your man is slower than my dining room set.

Peckham (and yeah I'm defending the kid) had a nice period. He's calming down now. He had at least two instances down low, one when he had two men on him, where he calmly reversed the play. Big time in both cases.

Another guy's who is getting a little more comfortable in his own skin is JFJ. His feet and hands are a little less happy. Give him a half season more and he will be a guy who can get some shit done.

Not at all comfortable about this last period but its been a fun game to watch.

61. Black Dog says:

Bruce – does Zorg tweet you between periods? What's he saying right now?

;)

MacIntyre effect is right but Stortini was out after a PP and second last shift of the period so his coach trusts him for sure and I think once Fernando, Stone and Comrie get back his job will be fine, the losers, imo – MacIntyre, Nilsson, Moreau

Does Quinn have the stones to bench his captain? I would bet on it. I don't have a hate on for Ethan but he's aged overnight.

62. Bruce says:

Peckham made a play along the backboards in the first where he retrieved the puck first and then hammered his man into the boards while he was in possession that reminded me of a young Gator.

63. quain says:

Theo Peckham has a -15 Corsi, Khabibulin has a -14. That seems astounding. I feel astounded.

64. shepso says:

so, just some food for thought: with 4 goals and 11 assists, Hemmer is now tied with Heatley for 7th in the league with 15 points. Penner, with 9 goals and now 10 assists (3 tonight) is tied with Ovie for 2nd overall. How 'bout that flying fridge. I asked for a bit of effort and hustle tonight, but this is just great. I may just have to have another scotch…

65. bookie says:

Agreed!

66. Showerhead says:

reminded me of a young Gator.
    Statements like this bring me dangerously close to prospophilia. I was a huge fan of Jason Smith and I would* that we had such a man in the roster again.

*For DG.

67. shepso says:

forget my last post. Penner in 3rd, Ovie got 2 more goals tonight…

68. shepso says:

what's the faceoff situation this period?

69. SK Oiler Fan says:

Count me in as worried about the 3rd. The Oilers are a young young team tonight and this is still the Red Wings. Khabby is going to have to be big.

70. Black Dog says:

Has anyone seen my wallet? My white belt?

Buckle up.

71. PDO says:

Oilers need another top 6 winger.

Tampa is likely missing the playoffs.

Cogliano looks like he doesn't have a spot in this lineup.

I wonder if there's a deal to be had there for either St. Louis or Malone based on Cogliano?

72. Bruce says:

The ultimate muffin from Patio Furniture

If they can get through the first 4 shifts without a goal or penalty then things may settle down.

74. uni says:

I recall Quinn doing that with unlikely players as well in Toronto. He just has a way of motivating players and making them feel good about themselves. Did wonders for Steen, Stajan, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Johnson, McCauley, Kaberle et al.

Still wonder why he gave up on Sullivan like he did though, that one still rankles, and I hated what they did to Thomas. Stumpy was a favourite player for a long time.

75. SK Oiler Fan says:

The Red Wings execute more set plays than a football team.

76. Bruce says:

Nice dive by Cristiano Ronaldo there.

77. uni says:

The wagon's on fire and careening towards the cliff. Time to strap ourselves in, hold on tight, and pray for rain, WEEEEEEEEEEE!

78. SK Oiler Fan says:

Spoke too soon LT

79. T. says:

*sigh*

80. PunjabiOil says:

A lot of puck luck tonight

81. SK Oiler Fan says:

Lidstrom off the back boards on purpose to Datsyuk. Another set play

Very nice plays by "O'Sullivan" and "blind dumb luck".

83. PunjabiOil says:

Cocksucker, we were doing so well too.

84. SK Oiler Fan says:

And awaaayyy we go! Weeeee!

85. hunter1909 says:

Khabibulin reminds me of Grant Fuhr.

86. SK Oiler Fan says:

Time for a timeout Quinn

87. hunter1909 says:

Oh brother.

roller. coaster.

89. PDO says:

This is more of what I expected tonight…

No question.

Had I wanted to go my mother in law would have come over to help, but I wanted to stay. I'd rather hang out with my family than do anything else.

Turns out my girl is just fine.

The Oilers on the other hand….this game aint over.

Bertuzzi, anyone but Bertuzzi.

Uh,oh

91. PunjabiOil says:

Strudwick and Peckham on the ice there. Not surprising.

92. T. says:

crapcrapcrap. Bertuzzi?! Crap.

holy – bedlam it is.

93. goldenchild says:

wish we had a Mariano we could bring in, good lord

94. hunter1909 says:

Rollercoaster my arse. It's the Wild Mouse out there.

95. uni says:

The Oilers obviously didn't want the fans to get bored and switch off like Dorito did, so they let it get close again to ratchet up the entertainment value.

96. PunjabiOil says:

You aren't going to win too many games with Peckham, Strudwick, Chorney in the lineup.

Hopefully tonight is an exception.

97. SK Oiler Fan says:

Visnovski would be nice about now. Struds and Peckham are going to be road kill by the time this is over.

98. T. says:

Oh momentum… you ol' swinger you.

99. Icecastles says:

Just tuned in on the radio to hear detroit score… thought it was 5-4 Detroit. Nice surprise to see Edmonton ahead… haven't read the comments now that I have a video feed. Score says something must be going right though!

100. hunter1909 says:

I'd feel a whole lot less nervous if they'd just put that 4×6 plywood board back in front of the net.

101. T. says:

Score says something must be going right though.

well… maybe not so much at this very moment.

While we have a moment, let's discuss what it's going to take for this club to develop a second scoring line?

103. SK Oiler Fan says:

Perfect there's the timeout.
    Quinn to Horc: You're on… for the rest of the game.

104. Bruce says:

Maybe we could accidentally leave the clock running while they fix the glass.

What a freakin' fire drill.

105. Icecastles says:

Looks like a lot of chances at both ends, with Detroit carrying the play more atm.

Is Visnofsky out of the lineup?

106. PDO says:

LT:

Above.

Cogliano + for St.Louis or Malone?

Picks to even it out either way.

Cogliano clearly wants to play C, and he's gonna be stuck behind 89 and 10 for quite a while…

Then you go with 89, 19 and one of them.

107. gary b says:

Somebody clone Ray Ferraro. love his in-game analysis, ie: the long pass attempts by Detroit in the 3rd. Lightyears ahead of anything we hear on HNIC.

108. uni says:

Samwise, Cogs, and Nillicator seemed okay. If they can rediscover their chemistry from 2 seasons back that'd be a solid soft minutes line.

Brule, O'Sullivan, and JFJ have done some nice things as well so all said there's some possibility of a 2nd line getting on a roll as well.

109. PDO says:

Where's the call on Penner being tripped?

Fuck I hate Detroit.

110. SK Oiler Fan says:

I think it's a given the Oilers are going to have to score at least one more to win this game.

111. Bruce says:

Nice call, Ben. An Oiler does that it's holding 10 times out of 10.

112. Bruce says:

The over/under for Red Wing shots is 30.5.

This period.

113. hunter1909 says:

It's like a 5 on 3 powerplay. Wtf.

114. danny says:

Det can clearly smell the shit in the Oilers pants.

Well. This isn't good.

116. PunjabiOil says:

Peckham and Strudwick on the ice.

117. hunter1909 says:

I'm speechless.

118. Smytty777 says:

I just finished saying to myself that having the Kid Line out with Struds and Peckham is about the worst defensive lineup I could imagine… and goal.

119. PDO says:

Just hold on for a point please.

120. bookie says:

next up 6-5 Wings, followed by Mad pressure by Oilers and then…..maybe a goal by the Oil with 18 seconds left, then overtime…

Role the dice boys.

121. bookie says:

Roll agghhhhh

122. danny says:

Are the Oilers simply being outcoached now? Babcock clearly switched things up.

123. Smytty777 says:

And the Kids are back out again, ridiculous.

124. SK Oiler Fan says:

shoot the ffiinn puck Nilson. He's pissing his chance away!

125. Bruce says:

Memo to Nilsson: Shoot the fucking puck.

126. Masamax says:

Nice play by Smid to break up that play.

127. FlamingPavelBure says:

Andrew Cogliano -4
    Rest of Kid line : -3

I think i'm having a seizure

GOD FUCKING DAMIT ROBERT NILSSON MOVE YOUR DAMN ASS AND STOP MAKING ME LOOK LIKE A MORON TO SUPPORT YOU

128. uni says:

Quick, someone send Gretzky, Kurri, and Messier over the boards to get some goals quick.

129. danny says:

Quinn has lost the room.

130. bookie says:

Are the Oilers simply being outcoached now? Babcock clearly switched things up.

That better not be the case Danny, cause if it is, we are in more trouble than any of us can possibly imagine.

131. PunjabiOil says:

I think the Oilers win tonight

Well the good thing about this is that they're responding pretty well after the 5-5 goal. The bad thing is that Detroit's best players are playing really well and the Oilers have two rookies and a carcass on the blue.

133. Phil says:

So, if a three goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey, then having three – three goal leads is what? Mark of the hockey Beast?

134. SK Oiler Fan says:

Oilers thoughts – let's just get the point!
    Detroit thoughts – Let's bury these young punks.

L.T. Put 27 with 89 and 13 on 1LW until you trade him for a better LW or he grows into what you need on 1LW.

43 & 49 ….oi!

136. PDO says:

Would anyone have been upset if I told you it'd be 5-5 with 3:20 to go?

Not loving how we got here, but I'll gladly take a point tonight.

137. SK Oiler Fan says:

Cogs has better legs tonight, but he's not accomplishing much

138. danny says:

we dont have that point yet is the problem right now.

Secondary scoring is easy.

MPS, Nash, Eberle

Only trouble is that they aren't here till next October.

140. uni says:

Nice play by that Detroit player in the striped shirt to hold up Cogs there.

141. Bruce says:

Might as well give van Massenhoven a stick.

FFS

142. SK Oiler Fan says:

Nillson did something worthwhile! Came back a long way there.

143. sean says:

Wow, Cogs lost a puck battle with the ref leading to that last Det chance.

144. PDO says:

Does anyone else wanna cry watching any C other than Horcoff in their own zone?

145. PunjabiOil says:

21-6 outshot in the 3rd.

Lordy

146. uni says:

Wow, the commenters on the stream I'm watching are blaming this on Khabibulin.

"Those 3 goals were from a distance and all on Habby."

"Yeah we should put Joey Moss in there, he'd do a better job"

147. Dennis says:

take your pick how you view this.

1. no matter what happens in OT and SO, this one will feel like a loss.

2. you can't deal when you're missing three of your top six D

3. some combination of the above:)

148. SK Oiler Fan says:

FK, Penner just got tackled! Det gets away with alot of interference.

149. hunter1909 says:

This is the saddest game I've seen this year.

150. T. says:

Did we ever think we would see Penner wrestle and dive for the puck like he does this year?

Different player.

151. SK Oiler Fan says:

Beauty out by Smid

152. PDO says:

Dennis:

What about, you expected to get blown out, caught Detroit sleeping for 35 minutes with shoddy tending and then #2 caught up to you for the last 25 minutes…

I'm honestly not upset with whatever happens.

153. SK Oiler Fan says:

Has Howard ever been in a shootout? I'd like our chances if it wasn't for Dats and Z

154. uni says:

This is what happens when I get out of bed and decide to watch the game. I'll try to miss the next game and see what happens.

Brule has a nice little cannon there, accurate too.

155. Bruce says:

Shots 44-31
    Attempted shots 69-37

156. danny says:

Is Stortini the glass repair guy as well?

49 and 43 never saw the ice after goal 5.

I'm actually praying for Staios to come back quickly.

Interesting how circumstance can change your perception of value.

I actually think this could be an important game for the Oilers. Their worst nightmare came true, they lost their collective heads and could have lost the lead, but they hung in there and got a point.

And let's face it: Sheldon Souray, Lubomir Visnovsky and even Steve Staios is a tremendous amount of depth to lose for any team.

159. SK Oiler Fan says:

Was every goal over Khabby's glove? Do they have something there?

160. hunter1909 says:

For once Oilers are well and truly on a learning curve.

161. SK Oiler Fan says:

Nice finish boys. Entertaining game in good and bad ways

162. PDO says:

Horcoff strips Zetterberg and the Oilers damn near win it. Fuck.

Everyone who thought that dump was going in raise your hand…

163. uni says:

Dandy play from Hemsky there and man Gilbert is good at that extra man cruising into the slot bit. Haven't seen anyone that good at activating from the blueline since a young Pitkanen when he was on his game.

Great flury at the end, would have helped confidence to get one there and secure the Bettpoint.

165. Black Gold says:

*raises hand*

166. SK Oiler Fan says:

PDO, it wouldn't have surprised me. Not one bit.

Here's hoping Habbyboolin knows something about Z and Datsyuk.

168. SK Oiler Fan says:

I'v had enough of Gags head down, stickhandle into the goalie's stick move

169. uni says:

Times like this I miss gumby.

170. Bruce says:

That's $13.7 MM in cap hit. The 6 guys playing are at $10.6.

171. SK Oiler Fan says:

Dam he gets rid of it in a hurry

172. uni says:

And who said O'Sullivan couldn't shoot the puck?

173. Icecastles says:

How appropriate that the announcer thought POS hit the post. Or ironic.

174. Dennis says:

It's one of my pet peeves but did they just say 89's 8 for 28 in SO attempts?

He was, what, 4 for his first six, seven, tops?

So the kid's been putrid ever since and the sky won't fall if someone on TV has the balls to say it.

175. PunjabiOil says:

To quote LT:

Well, that's good.

176. SK Oiler Fan says:

Thank goodness. I was about to get sick on this rollercoaster.

177. Masamax says:

Whew.

Patio needs to release like that in the game.

There you go, 2 easy points.

Routine really.

179. uni says:

That's the biggest reaction I've seen out of Khabibulin since he's been with the Oilers.

180. T. says:

Khabibulin is almost frighteningly calm.

Now if he could just do something about his rebound control.

He grabbed that one back for us though.

whew.

I think that's a big 2 points, folks. A big win for a team that was all in but the kitchen sink.

182. PDO says:

I'm jacked.

Look at our D tonight… I'll take 2 points.

183. Icecastles says:

Biggest win so far this year, I'd say.

184. Bruce says:

No muffin there. I can't figure this guy out … his two best shots of the season — by far — were in shootouts.

185. hunter1909 says:

Avoided a catastrophe, more like it.

186. Smytty777 says:

Well that was a heart-attack, but to get two points with no Souray, Vish and Staios against Detroit is a great result.

187. Steve says:

I'm familiar with the concept of observer bias, but this is the most ridiculous hockey team of all time, right?

188. Dennis says:

That win, or should I say game, was worth the price of admission but the win was worth little else.

Or maybe I'm just glossing over all the career GP missing on our D?

I just know that this game would've killed me five years ago:)

189. Showerhead says:

It's one of my pet peeves but did they just say 89's 8 for 28 in SO attempts?

He was, what, 4 for his first six, seven, tops?

Same thing goes through my mind every time they flash that stat.
    Think he might need enough alternate options to keep that deking effective.

190. PunjabiOil says:

The shoot-out win reminded me of Raffi Torres SO winner against the Wings back in 05-06. The head ducking.

Theo Peckham proved he has a lot to learn in the minors, and Strudwick is still a bundle of suck. Staios is close to returning, though you have to wonder if Strudwick will stay ahead of Chorney on the depth chart based on seniority.

I swear the Oilers have shaved at least 5 years of my life. It's quite sad, actually.

191. Bruce says:

Well they did say something like "surprisingly he's 0-for-2 this year".

Colour me unsurprised. He frickin' dekes himself.

Steve: I think eventually no Oiler fan will live beyond 60. Too many heart attacks.

193. Showerhead says:

I just know that this game would've killed me five years ago:)

Cherrypicking your posts now Dennis but it also occurred to me tonight that it's been an awful long time since I had one of those heart attacks for the under 25 crowd the Oilers are so good at inducing. I'm good now :)

194. bookie says:

This team is getting boringly predictable

195. PunjabiOil says:

89 did well in shootouts until opponents figured out his deke. It's been downhill ever since.

Pisani is closing at near 50% so I'd like him to replace 89 next time around. And although Horcoff is not the most aesthetically pleasing player to watch, I think he'd do a better job. Nilsson has done well in his limited shootout attempts, and you have to figure Penner could carry his hot hand into the mix.

But please, no more Gagner.

196. Dennis says:

SH: I never wanted it to happen but perhaps I'm growing up;)

I'll damn well reverse that once I start drinking tomorrow evening:)

Speaking of heart attacks, who had more heart attacks in a short period of time: Pat Quinn during tonight's game or Tyrone Biggums during his Free Crack Giveaway?

197. bookie says:

Yes, one has to wonder why Gags is taking so many faceoffs and shootout trys. I mean, someone has to be better than that… I mean, I know he is a developing player, but what does he learn from constant failure?

198. SK Oiler Fan says:

Wow, watching Highlights and Ovie and the Caps in Atlanta in front of maybe 5000 fans?
    What's the point? Call the experiment off.

199. Black Dog says:

Piece of cake, piece of cake. ;)

Hey I'm with PDO – before the game if you said two points, considering, I'd take it

On the back end they will be fine but up front whenever 10/27/83 weren't out there it was a gong show. Hurry back Fernando.

And agreed on 89 on the SO, I said the exact same thing to the father in law as he went in – he scored all of those 8 in his first four months in the league.

Two points, hooray.

LT, have you seen my pills? Friday tomorrow, have to take a yellow, two red and one of those big suckers for my blood pressure ;)

BDHS: I have all my meds in one of those capsule thingys with the days of the week. Although they don't have the day printed on the outside of each pod so sometimes I take Tuesdays AND Thursdays on Tuesdays.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »