The Counter-Trey

The phrase “counter-trey” took awhile to find its way into the sports lexicon, but it’s a very effective way to describe misdirection.

The Edmonton Oilers have become big fans of the misdirection play. The verbal counter-trey. Edmonton Northlands is currently winding themselves into a lather after a beauty counter-trey that (incredibly) appears to have them endorsing their own demise (the study that produced the downtown project).

In terms of on-ice issues, the misdirection this fall has to do with expectations. All over the MSM you can hear the sound of managing expectations: no talk of the fact this is a cap team, that good organizations don’t miss the playoffs three seasons in a row and break camp with a roster that borders on hysterical, that good organizations address weakness during the offseason. The idea being that fans shouldn’t ask “how come we’re spending to the cap and yet everyone says if things break right and we go to church Sundays the club might slip into the playoffs?” Driving around our town, I can tell you it’s working. Very few fans are mad at the Edmonton Oilers for not addressing need while spending to the cap.

Pat Quinn is managing expectations for the fanbase too. He’s giving the fanbase some of the straight goods (it’s clear Sam Gagner hasn’t shown him much) but also passing along that the team isn’t where it needs to be:

• “We’re still in that ‘let’s see’ stage with people to establish who makes this a better team.”
  • “(The boys) have worked hard to understand what we’re trying to do as a concept of play that we think fits this group. They’ve worked hard to try to get to the positions we’re asking them to get to and I think there’s still some hesitation.”
  • “When you’re trying to learn new things, it’s not only just explaining it, it’s taking it into the practice and doing it until it becomes part of your game and that’s what we’re trying to do now.”
  • “We haven’t had a real game yet, our first measuring stick is Saturday night. Patience is the thing. I don’t know what my expectation is and how quickly we’ll be able to learn and have it become habit. I’d love to have it Saturday night but also know we haven’t probably accompished that enough since three years ago–and even that was coming together after you got in the dance–and it was on the last day–by a point.”
  • “Young guys learning how to use their skills better. Some of these young guys are the ones we’re talking about. Nice skills, but we need to have them play better with those skills and hopefully we’ll get there too, that’s part of our job.”
  • “You’ve got to have talent. Let’s face it, I think I’m a good coach but if you I don’t have players who can play, then you make your system around what you have.
  • “I like the talent here, in what I’ve seen in the two weeks. We’re not using it to our advantage, we’ve changed it a little bit with some size and asking them to join in with some guys we know have a skill level.”
  • “We think that line (Horcoff-Jacques-Hemsky) can play against anyone now and they’ll want to check them but we’ll have some muscle there too. I kind of like the possibilities.”
  • “I think this team has skill. We’ve tried to give them a way to play that gives everyone a chance to (succeed).”
  • “A lot of people thought I was nuts when I put Reggie Leach on the PK but he was one of the best we had (although I played him with Bobby Clarke).” in response to a Hemsky on PK question.
  • “I love guys who have skill like that (Nilsson). There’s a sense of maturity, and that line when a good play becomes a doublecross and he still flirts with that line in my opinion.”
  • “We’re in the results business and we want to get there. I know that we’ve had two weeks, but there is no magic wand here, we’re trying to get a system of play that the players will buy into, and make a commitment.
  • “Some are thinking about themselves or their icetime. How long is that going to take? I don’t know. Levels of maturity are important, we’ve got some guys who are 19 or 20 years old who have played by themselves for a long time, they get to 30 or 40 points and they’re thinking that’s pretty good. It’s not good. It’s not good enough.”
  • “I hope I don’t set expectations for individuals or the group that are too high where they can’t achieve it right away and then get down on themselves. We’ve got some guys who are pretty hard on themselves.”

The fact is that Pat Quinn should have more to work with, the holes on this team have been here awhile and continue to factor. I believe he’s addressed size and has more grit on the skill lines, but at what cost? We’ll see. Sadly, they didn’t give him anyone to improve the penalty-kill, least of all someone who can win a faceoff to help Horcoff.

This won’t end well, I’ll tell you that much. Once Quinn starts losing games because he can’t find enough penalty-killers or faceoff men then he’ll get grumpy. Can’t say as I blame him. There is a culprit here, but the counter-trey is a very effective tool.

111 Responses to "The Counter-Trey"

1. PunjabiOil says:

Hot damn. Who is in the pic?

2. Racki says:

Lowetide: Sorry to veer off topic, but a poster who frequents here (Hockey Noob) and I have had a few discussions in the past about your site. We've both wondered why you have never advertised on your site. I'm just going to say, I stand nothing to gain from saying this.. but you really should look at doing it.

With the number of hits you get in a given month, you can easily make some good money to supplement your current income. I'd almost say that it's crazy to not have ads. If you're ever interested in learning about this stuff, I'd be more than happy to toss you a bit of advice over e-mail (free of course, to help a fellow blogger). If interested, you can reach me through my e-mail in my profile or website in my profile. I'm sure Hockey Noob would also offer up advice as well (and probably better than I can!).

3. PDO says:

Best of luck to the Vancouver Canucks this season.

4. Ribs says:

"A lot of people thought I was nuts when I put Reggie Leach on the PK but he was one of the best we had (although I played him with Bobby Clarke)." in response to a Hemsky on PK question.

Jeebus. I think I forgot how old this guy was for awhile there.

The strange thing about quotes like these is that there isn't many people disagreeing with Quinn on some of the more outlandish statements and there probably should be. The one you've bolded seems like a good example. We know who he's talking about and I can't believe for a second that they think like that. I wish he would give more of an explanation of things sometimes.

5. Baroque says:

Jill Hennessey – she was an actress on "Law and Order" and some other series I can't remember.

I think she might also be a singer, but I just remember her as a lawyer.

6. bookie says:

I for one admit to being one of sheep fooled by the great and mighty Oiler propaganda machine. I underestimate the gravity of the weakensses of the summer lack of activity and overestimate the positive things I see on this team.

I am the Tiger to LT's Eeyore…

Go team!

7. PDO says:

Bobby Clarke turned 60 this Summer.

Quinn is talking about COACHING him.

Jeebus.

bookie: Tigger. You're Tigger.

9. bookie says:

By the way LT – Great work bringing all of the quotes together, thanks for that!

10. bookie says:

bookie: Tigger. You're Tigger.

That is truly an embarrasing mistake!

Yes, Tigger, I meant to say Tigger.

Oh, that's ookkkayyyyyy.

12. PDO says:

Luongo has now given up 10 goals in his last 70 minutes.

I like.

13. Ribs says:

Hahaha… How can I imagine Eeyore's voice so perfectly just from reading that?

14. mc79hockey says:

I guess Dennis and I are Eeyore's foul mouthed friends who were cut from the beloved children's classic.

Hard to get too upset LT. It's going to take time to dig out from Lowe's mistakes. It's the new ones piled on top cough*Khabibulin*cough, that are hard to take.

15. PDO says:

Moreau is questionable for Saturday.

If he doesn't dress, after Horcoff, we don't have another forward over 27.

Something tells me that's not a recipe for success.

16. Jonathan Willis says:

It's easy to remember:

T – I – double-GUH – ER.

Tigger.

Yes, I do have young nephews. Why do you ask?

Tyler: Pace yourself. You have 4 years to go. :-)

18. SK Oiler Fan says:

Quinn's obviously seen this act before. Why management can't see what Quinn and most educated fans see is astounding.

He's just warning us and management that this is going to be ugly early. There'll be some improvement later in the season, but it will be too late.

Saturday night will be all about just hanging on and looking like they belong in the same leauge. Within 3 will be a minor miracle by my estimation.

Calgary looks big, nasty, and are skating like mad men tonight.

Celine is still a p***y though.

19. SK Oiler Fan says:

The good news:
    1. Luongo needs more help on D. They're going to miss Ohlund more than they thought.
    2. Sedins look scared.
    3. Iginla looks a little off.

20. PDO says:

It's gonna get ugly one day.

Phaneuf could really benefit from Bouwmeester being there this season and Sutter's coaching. Having said that, you're right PDO there's a very good chance injuries will start trickling in because he's going to get cheap-shotted (is that a word?) by other clubs.

Jim Schoenfeld was like that for the first few seasons and then he played a different game after the hits and slashes began to take their toll.

22. PDO says:

Agreed LT. You must almost be as old as Quinn though.. ;).

It's one thing if you're Scott Stevens or Mark Messier or even Bobby Orr and everyone is scared shitless of you.

It's another if you're doing your best Ulf Samuelsson impression.

Well I remember when Bob Baun was a rookie…..

24. SK Oiler Fan says:

I don't think Phanuef is smart enough to realize was goes around comes around.
    As Hitchcock would say: Someday somebody is really going to make him eat his lunch. (Was talking about Havlat at the time)

F'in Kesler still diving like he's a Sea World act

25. Smarmy Boss says:

LT's west conf champs look good tonight.

Colorado is up 4-2 btw against San Jose. Crazy game.

27. SK Oiler Fan says:

I hope Saturday looks better than this.
    Yikes

5-2 Avs on a PP where Malhotra had two chances to get the puck out (but he was gassed).

29. SK Oiler Fan says:

Stastny Jr is a beauty.
    PP of Stastny, Duschene, Hejduk looks slick.

30. SK Oiler Fan says:

Thought that was Marleau trying to clear.

31. PDO says:

Heatley:

-3 in 10 minutes.

Nice.

32. PDO says:

LT:

We're both morons :-).

SK Oil: Marleau once, Malhotra two times on the same PK. Like watching the air going out of your tires.

PDO: Next year, we pick the Leafs! :-)

35. PDO says:

Fuck that, I'm taking the Winnipeg Coyotes.

36. bookie says:

Malhotra two times on the same PK

and missing out on this guy is the reason we are doomed this season?

bookie: It's one shift and he was out there for maybe 1:40 at the time. I think Malhotra would have been an excellent addition and he was available until very late.

38. bookie says:

Yeah, I know, it was not really a serious comment at all…

39. Mr DeBakey says:

And Dominic Moore is STILL available
    Robert Lang was too until this week

+++

The wonderful thing about Tiggers
    is that
    Tiggers are wonderful things
    somethibng, something, something
    and their tails are made outta springs

40. SK Oiler Fan says:

Based on tonight Montreal could use a D-man or 3 to save Gaineys job. Gave up 45 shots to the Laughs and Markov was carried into the room.

Anybody of interest there that they would consider tradeable?
    Chipchura?
    Metropolit?
    Plekanec?

41. PunjabiOil says:

Everything needs to be taken into context. I've learnt from being excited based on the first few games of the season (2005, 2006, 2007).

Flames do look good though. Jay-Bo is a top 5 defenceman in the league, and they have soem character guys in their lineup (Borque, Sjorstrom, Glencross, etc.)

42. PDO says:

I'd be just fine with Staios for a pick.

The Arkells need a haircut.

44. PDO says:

Dion scored on himself.

Hah.

The coach will have to explain to him that's a mistake. What do they use for Dion? Tongue clicks?

46. kris says:

I'm not so sure this is Quinn "counter-treying" for the org. It could be, but I think the jury's still out.

If he were doing that, wouldn't he play up some player like Jacques or Penner or Brule as the next star/savior, so that he has an excuse ready when the team fails. "It was Penner and Jacques! If they'd have been as good as they should've, etc., etc. It was the injuries." After all, if he's countertreying for the org., he's doing it in a way that is setting management up to look bad. Good countertreying makes everyone come out smelling like roses.

This could be him covering his own butt (counter-treying for himself?) so that if things go badly, Tamb. takes the blame. Or it could be sheer honesty. (Maybe Quinn hasn't been around the Oilers long enough to learn how to sell a lemon hockey team.)

Or it's possible that Quinn is subtly complaining that management didn't give him what he needs and pressuring them to do so.

One way or another, I like his interviews. I was worried when MacT left that the postgame would be crap, but it might be even more interesting now.

47. Bruce says:

Dion is the last of an ancient tribe that communicates solely in head butts.

48. PDO says:

Honest to goodness truth:

My cousin played with Phaneuf for about 4 or 5 years. My Grandma hates him. Seriously. Hates. She's a sweet old lady, but one of the maybe 4 or 5 times in my life I've heard her swear, it was in regards to how much she ****ing hates Dion, and has since my cousin played with him. Dirty and selfish… always has been, always will be.

That said, I'm pretty sure they just grunt. Tim Allen speak likely works pretty well…

49. SK Oiler Fan says:

Burrows and Malby have that backwards head toss down to a science.
    Must draw 3 or 4 penalties a year with that one.

50. kris says:

Phaneuf is the weirdest player in the damn league to watch. Skates well, strong, good shot, etc. Just insane decisions.

I don't even know how to describe it. I mean, some guys make bad decisions and can't read the play. I watch Phaneuf and it's like he can read the play, but he doesn't care. "Screw it, I'm goin for the hit. Don't care about the 2 on 1." "This pass is gonna get intercepted. Screw it, I'm doin it."

Calgary fans are gonna get tired of him eventually, and he doesn't have a well-spring of good will from the past like Kiprusoff does to cover him when they do.

51. kris says:

Though I suppose Calgary's D is good enough to cover him now.

52. SK Oiler Fan says:

I'm going to watch more Flames game this year just to see Boumeester skate.
    Kind of like watching Modano skate.
    Effortless and Flawless.
    They should make power skating videos with 30 minutes of Modano and 30 minutes of Boumeester.

53. Bruce says:

I watch Phaneuf and it's like he can read the play, but he doesn't care.

Reminds me of the "Rover" joke that is embedded in McCurdy family lore.

A fellow is looking for a horse, and he hears one of the locals is selling one for a low, low price. So he goes out for a look. The seller points out a strapping chesnut colt galloping across the field. "That be Rover!" he says. Rover, muscles rippling, canters wild and free across the field. Suddenly he runs right through a fence and on into the next field, where he crashes headlong into a tree. "What the hell, is he blind?" the buyer asks. "Nah," the farmer replies, "Rover just don't give a fuck!"

54. SK Oiler Fan says:

should have been interference on Conroy

55. bookie says:

I hate watching Calgary play Vancouver because the only think I can muster any enthusiasm to cheer for is a tuberculosis outbreak…

bookie: lol. I always cheer for someone to win in regulation so tonight's a good night. I'm a little worried about Denver, though. :-)

57. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh, that's ookkkayyyyyy.

Wow.

That's just outstanding.

58. Bruce says:

I once spent an entire game doing not much more than watching Sergei Fedorov skate.

59. Coach pb9617 says:

He was an animal. He was the thought defense. If you even thought about going near the crease, he'd maul you and tell you to stop thinking dirty things.

You're lying in a pool of your own bodily fluids thinking "I'm never thinking about crease agai…" and Schoenfeld knocks you out again.

60. Showerhead says:

That's what HE said!

61. Showerhead says:

You know, I've thought it over, and I think I brought Pierre Maguire into this in a "You have a big nose" from Cyrano de Bergerac sort of way. I expect to find myself impaled by a wittier sword shortly.

62. spOILer says:

Counter-trey.

I think I creamed my pants when I read this.

The rest was even better.

And no counter-trey ran on your part at all.

Great blog entry. Great comment thread.

And an ex-Seal, the Riverton Rifle himself, gets held out as an archetype by Quinn.

63. hunter1909 says:

Schremp already causing the Islander fans angst, lmao.

I hope he gets 90 points.

:P

LOWETIDE: Crazy and true analysis of this rotting franchise. Even I used to think Lowe was almost a genius, until the Pronger fiasco et al. MacT not quite so much, although I wasn't exactly rabid either, which furthermore proves you correct.

With MacT, I think it was when I saw Chris Pronger totally ignoring him during some practise clip on tv, that I finally realised the hype over HIM was, ahem, somewhat overblown.

64. hunter1909 says:

Phaneuf looks like the twin brother of Boris Karloff's Frankenstein character.

65. Doogie2K says:

I think she might also be a singer, but I just remember her as a lawyer.

Also, Crossing Jordan, in which she was a coroner.

The Kings were kind of bad for a few years there in the mid-80s. Then again, maybe that's why he bailed for Vancouver.

So the one of the best goalie values on the market last year, Craig Anderson, stops 38 of 40 (including 19 in the 3rd period) to start the hapless Avs in a win over the vaunted Sharks.

1.81 Cap hit
    .924 for the Panthers (!) last year in 31 games
    .935 for the same Panthers in 15 games the year before.

Ole Timey Coach and overcautious GM needed a well used (worn out?) comfort blanket rather than finding the best value.

I know my sample size is laughable, but dammit!!! The smarter people here saw this coming a mile away, and let us dimmer bulbs in on the info.

Also,

D. Heatley 3 shots, 0 points -3.

Heh.

67. Oilman says:

Craig Anderson continuing his somewhat baffling streak of great play when facing 40 or more shots.

68. HBomb says:

Phaneuf looks like the twin brother of Boris Karloff's Frankenstein character.

I'll bring out a term I coined elsewhere many years ago.

Phrankeneuf.

He's only two neck-bolts away….

69. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Using your own logic Heatley's going to go scoreless this season.

70. Mr DeBakey says:

SUNRISE, FL – Florida Panthers president & COO Michael Yormark announced today that Assistant General Manager Randy Sexton has been appointed the club’s new general manager. As per club policy, terms of the agreement will not be disclosed.

“After an extensive search led by Alternate Governor William Torrey it was clear that Randy was the ideal individual to serve as our club’s new general manager,” Yormark said. “Randy possesses all the necessary qualities to be a successful general manager in the National Hockey League….”

71. NBOilerFan says:

"Very few fans are mad at the Edmonton Oilers for not addressing need while spending to the cap."

Think is, the majority of fans simply don't put much thought into the team makeup, or lack thereof. You don't here them discussing "holes in the lineup" or using the term "unbalanced team", or “saw off” (a new one to me), or even realizing that mathematical calculations are being used to evaluate and suss out the issues of certain players and team aspects. Those are discussed among the smaller group of more obsessed fans (i.e. all you bloggers and blog site commenter’s).

The majority of the fans simply let the "brain trust" of the organization do its thing regarding putting the best team on the ice. Blind faith essentially… and I too use to be one of those fans. Actually I still am I suppose because although I see the glaring holes and inefficiencies of this team, I still seem to have "blind faith" that Tambellini, unlike Lowe, will not only react but act quicker to the holes and deficiencies now that this is truly his team (his coaches). I don't see letting Quinn and Renney go down with the ship as much as it appears Lowe was satisfied doing with MacT (or at least not willing to help him get the ship up to trim as quick).

PDO said…
    ”If Dion is going to keep his elbows that high, the refs aren't going to call it, and he's not going to drop the flippers… It's gonna get ugly one day.”

Which is more reason why I still want Big Mac to remain on this club. I agree that he’s not much of a player, but he fills a need, IMO. Stortini is not a deterrent in any way, I don’t want Souray fighting for injury risk, and other than perhaps Jacques I don’t see many that can or will help in this regard. Sure, some will say that having Big Mac won’t help because Dion won’t go with him, but if Dion (or anyone else) cheap shots one of our players (especially the stars) MacIntyre shouldn’t be letting Phaneuf make a choice.

72. NBOilerFan says:

SK Oiler Fan said…

Anybody of interest there that they would consider tradeable?
    Chipchura?
    Metropolit?
    Plekanec?

Yea, my god Gill is slow, Mara not much faster, they looked horrible. And I see TSN is reporting that Markov is to miss 3-4 months with a torn tendon. That is a big loss for them.

Hunter,
    I ridiculed my own sample size in the post, so your comment is redundant.

I was simply pointing out that his SV% in the past years might be for real.

74. Bruce says:

… bench warmer?

Stortini is not a deterrent in any way,

I didn't see one situation all last season where it appeared MacIntyre was an effective "deterrent". He dropped the gloves a few times, sure, but I didn't see any noticeable change in the other team's running of the Oilers because "oh, no, that great big goober slowly turning to stone at the end of the bench might come after me".

I don’t want Souray fighting for injury risk,

I want Souray in the "Victor the Cleaner" role, maybe 3-5 times all season tops. Depending on circumstances of course, but if Phaneuf is one of those 3-5 I'm all for it. Souray is the closest thing to a deterrent this club has had in a number of years.

Stortini, Jacques, Stone, occasionally Penner … I'm not worried unless they all wind up in the PB.

Like that goober for NYI who came off the bench when Phaneuf headshotted Okposo? Guy never even got a piece of Ugly, and got a big suspension for his troubles. So how the hell is that supposed to help?

I'd rather have a guy who can play the game and might therefore already be on the ice when shit happens.

75. Baroque says:

The wonderful thing about Tiggers
    is that
    Tiggers are wonderful things
    somethibng, something, something
    and their tails are made outta springs

The wonderful thing about Tiggers
    Is Tiggers are wonderful things.
    Their tops are made outta rubber,
    Their bottoms are made outta springs.

(I am the oldest child in my family and also have a young nephew.) :)

76. Dave says:

Do you guys think Montreal would do this:
    Grebs + Poo
    for
    Chipchura + Moen

77. Bruce says:

Or this or this. All three of Penner's fights were legitimate responses to dirty and/or dangerous hits on teammates. Far better to have a few guys who are ready, willing and able on a moment's notice sprinkled through the line-up than running entire lines of smurfs out there and hoping your "deterrent" might do something about it later.

PS: Dustin Penner can play on my team any day.

78. Bruce says:

Do you guys think Montreal would do this:
    Grebs + Poo
    for
    Chipchura + Moen

Uh, yes. Yes I do.

79. Dave says:

Do you figure the oil could get more? I'm not the best at coming up with trade ideas, but this would definitely make the team crustier, better in the circle and on the pk as well as some cap room.

80. bookie says:

If I were the coach, I would sit Penner the rest of the game for such a display!

81. bookie says:

Moreau will not play in the opener… Hurt they say.

82. Bruce says:

Yeah, that still rankles. The power of negative feedback.

83. R-Gib says:

Moreau will not play in the opener…Hurt they say.

Hurt, or waiting for a deal to be finalized? Is Nashville still kicking tires?

84. Schitzo says:

Markov out for up to four months? They are absolutely screwed now.

85. quain says:

NHL_Oilers: #Oilers confirm Captain Ethan Moreau will play in Saturday's season-opener vs. #Flames. More to come in The Team Today.

About an hour ago.

86. Ribs says:

Oates Assistant Coach in Tampa? Too bad we couldn't lure him back for a spin.

87. Ribs says:

Tencer has Moreau practicing as well.

88. bookie says:

Funny, I just read the opposite, but I am pretty sure what I read was day old news so, looks like his foot has improved…

89. bookie says:

I know this is off topic, but I am really procrastinating today and am awaiting the start of the season so my mind is drifting.

Is there anyone else out there who would love to see Al Strachan in a celebrity boxing match vs Mike Keenan.

Maybe HNIC could use that as an intermission filler…

90. Ribs says:

Helluva goal by Booth there.

91. R-Gib says:

Bookie – I'd pay to see that.

How about start things off with a Hrudey vs Hughson catfight?

92. Bruce says:

How about Kypreos on Garrett?

93. CrazyCoach says:

Jeebus. I think I forgot how old this guy was for awhile there.

You think that's bad. I remember seeing Leach on the PK.

Welcome to old guy Friday.

94. bookie says:

Sometimes when LT doesn't comment for long periods of time, its like the bartender has left the bar and left us drunks in charge.

What kind of trouble could be get into here while he is gone????

95. bookie says:

Speaking of Old timers, I will never forget when Joe Hall notched a hat-trick when the Bulldogs knocked off the Minors 6-2 to win the Stanley Cup. I am telling you, Malone and Hall were something to watch in those days…

96. NBOilerFan says:

@Bruce –Jacques certainly brings a new dimension in this department (not sure about Stone), but I’d feel better if we had a Peckham in the lineup as well. Strudwick isn’t bad, and I loved Penner’s fights last year but that is not his game and they will be few and far between (hell I want him to start hitting more too). And as good a fighter as Souray is, he’s simply to valuable to this team to risk being injured.

I certainly didn't say that a team needs only a MacIntyre and then you can ice the smallest group of players possible with no fear, but I disagree that MacIntyre is not a deterrent. I saw on more then one occasion those same guys changing their tune with rough stuff after a whistle pretty damn quick when they saw MacIntyre coming into the scrum. I know you are a big fan of Stortini, but there is no way a Phaneuf or a Regehr are intimidated by him. I think I even recall them openly mocking him last season (perhaps I have the wrong guys).

I have huge respect for Stortini's willingness to go toe to toe with pretty much anyone. That takes huge guts, but guys like Phaneuf and Regehr are not intimidated by him. Unfortunately, MacIntyre was out for a large part of the season last year, so that didn’t help as a deterrent. But he also has to get better at learning how to engage players to be effective.

And I’d much rather have MacIntyre get a game misconduct, then a Penner or Souray.

97. speeds says:

Sounds like a monster first game for Vokoun.

Shots were 55-24 for CHI, FLA wins 4-3 in a shootout.

98. Cory Klein says:

Great press conference by Quinn today.

Talks at length about Moreau and what a captain can be.

Old references sprinkled again.

Very different approach than MacT
    "I don't want to turn these kids into robots. I don't think robots win at the end of the day."

Very candid, even for what we are used to from an Oilers head coach.

99. Rick says:

Vokoun had a heck of a game. Too bad his defense totally hung him out to dry on 2 two of the three Chicago goals.

Bet Blackhawks fans are wishing for Khabibulin about now…

As for the Oilers, I don't care if they're short 2 checkers, a face-off specialist and penalty killers as long as the put the puck in the net.

100. bookie says:

Yeah, Grampa Simpson sounds like he is pretty knoweledgable about hockey and hockey teams. I think he may have taken the onion off his belt today…

101. spOILer says:

From Duhatschek's article:

“We were a playoff contender last year,” Tambellini said. “I believe the individuals we had last year were good enough to get into the playoffs, but the team was unable to do so. Is this team good enough to be in the playoffs? Absolutely.

“It should be in the playoffs.”

Doesn't sound like the cavalry is coming. Sounds like management is pretty darn happy with the horses they have. Of course, we can never tell if this is posturing before making a deal, but it sure doesn't sound like anyone gives two hoots about winning a face off this year.

102. hunter1909 says:

"it sure doesn't sound like anyone gives two hoots about winning a face off this year."

Not quite. What that really means is, "We're waiting for Mister Quinn to tell us what we need, since it's patently obvious to anyone other than our families that none of us know jack shit about hockey except maybe Kevin, who's been chewing the carpets ever since he got kicked upstairs".

103. rickibear says:

but I’d feel better if we had a Peckham in the lineup as well.

I watched his fights on you tube and smiled.

Motin and Peckham

You think that's bad. I remember seeing Leach on the PK.

No what is worse is seeing Leach and clark play in flin flon.

I am telling you, Malone and Hall were something to watch in those days…

Bookie: for a guy as old school as you. Your comment seem like a bit of a ………..;)

104. Bruce says:

I don't think they're intimidated by MacIntyre either, certainly not when he's on the bench. If he's on the ice, chances are it's not Ales Hemsky out there with him who's getting run into the boards anyways.

That was Ian Laperriere, and that was a bush league move. Stortini had every right to be incensed, since on that occasion Laperriere grabbed him, then pulled the mocking bullshit on the way to the box.

I didn't notice Phaneuf being intimidated by Pascal Morency when he highbridged Kyle Okposo either. That would be the Pascal Morency who got 596 PiM (!!!) one season in the Q, and has 86 documented fights at hockeyfights.com. I also didn't notice Cynthia Phaneuf have any trouble figureskating his way out of Morency's challenge either, a challenge off the bench which proved nothing and cost Morency an indefenite suspension. You're just not going to get him with guys like that. "Stars" like Phaneuf are instructed not to go with goofballs, and he's too chickenshit anyways. Won't happen.

It especially didn't help his reputation as a deterrent given he was out with a broken face. :p

Trouble is, by simply dressing MacIntyre, you're effectively giving a game misconduct to Marc Pouliot or Bobby Nilsson or Zack Stortini or whatever poor slob has to sit out to make room for him. Every game he sits on the bench, some poor sod also sits, in the pressbox. And the Oilers are generally a weaker team as a result.

105. Bruce says:

And just like that, the ever-eloquent Ray Ferraro weighs in on the subject at hand during the second intermission of the Blues-Wings game (4-3 Blues btw):

Loved those guys on my team, because as Bob mentioned they're among the most popular teammates you have, they'll do whatever they need to do to justify their role, they'll defend your back. However as a player, when the two heavyweights go at it, as Orr and Laraque did, I'm sitting on the bench, I'm hoping for my guy because he's a great guy and I want him to do well, but it doesn't affect the rest of the game for me at all, because if I'm a Toronto Maple Leaf player, Georges Laraque is not fighting me, he's fighting Colton Orr. So the impact that Georges can have on me is if he runs me over, however most of the time I'm not on the ice with Georges Laraque or a player like Georges, so the impact on me as a player was really very little. The guys I worried more about would be a guy that would absolutely steamroll you in the course of a game, a guy that played more minutes, a guy that was a more significant contributor. Colton Orr played 2 minutes last night.

Thank you Ray Ferraro (and the person who invented PVRs so that I could get it word for word). Ray wasn't above a sneaky trick or two as a player, but he was virtually immune from the MacIntyres of the world.

106. hunter1909 says:

All MacIntyre has to do is place a flying cross check across Phaneuf/Regher's face and all these discussions quickly come to an end.

And I mean a broken nose/cheekbone kind of cross check.

Then he takes his whatever amount of games, and voila. No more crying over poor Ales.

Worked for Messier.

107. mjsh says:

No what is worse is seeing Leach and clark play in flin flon.

You too? I played baseball with Clarke in the summer when he came back from Philly when I worked there as a summer job during University. Leach played on another team. Threw like a girl.

Kenny Baird was our second baseman.

108. Bruce says:

Hunter: This just in. MacIntyre ain't Messier.

I remember the Messier-Macoun incident well. It was in the old Corral, Messier tried to beat Macoun wide and Macoun was just quick enough to take Moose low and push him right into the end boards at full speed, head first. Messier got up — thankfully — spitting absolute fire and venom. Next time the two were on the ice together, which I believe was the next period, Messier just went right after Macoun, jumped him, busted his cheekbone. Got a ten-game suspension and deserved it, though Macoun deserved a few for his dangerous hit and should have been out of the game before the retaliation occurred. I believe he got two for boarding but it was much worse than that and Messier had every reason to be enraged. He coulda wound up in a wheelchair.

Bottom line: after that nobody ever took advantage of Mark Messier in a vulnerable position. Ever. Again. Amen.

109. Mr DeBakey says:

I liked Kenny Baird
    Pretty damn good hockey player

2 parts Ryan Stone
    1 part Dustin Penner
    with a dash of Jason Strudwick

He played both D & LW didn't he?
    Or, started as a D, ended up a Winger – something like that.

110. mjsh says:

i don't remember Kenny playing D at all, but that was a looong time ago. He of course played for the Oil in the WHA.

LT will remember that.

111. CrazyCoach says:

Ah the two Joe's, Hall and the Phnatom. I would pay 8 bumblebees to see those two play again. Both beauties to watch. Poor Joe Hall though. Outside of the labour stoppages, his death stopped the finals….