Avalanche at Oilers, G22, 09-10

“What’s the story with that dog?” may end up being the punchline for the Edmonton Oilers this season. They’re home to the Avs, Hawks, Coyotes, Kings and Sharks before closing out the month on the road in Vancouver. The club begins December with a tough road trip, so if they’re going climb back into the race now would be a good time.

There are some good signs. Defensively Lubo and Laddy are a nice pairing, and Sheldon Souray is starting to impact the powerplay for the first time all season. Tom Gilbert’s play defensively has come under fire but he’s an effective player with a wide range of skills. Steve Staios has limitations but is a veteran hand on the blue.

Up front, Dustin Penner is a smidgen from actually walking on water and Ales Hemsky is sublime. Our man Horcoff is picking up the pace despite once again playing at less than 100%. Young Andrew Cogliano seems to have some jump and Patrick O’Sullivan cannot go through an entire season with his gun jammed.

The Avalanche seem to have more sustain than we thought after their quick start to the season, but they played a tough one in Calgary last night and I think the Oilers win tonight. If they don’t, we can look forward to the next GDT and it’s title “If Dave was here….DAVE’S A KILLER….YEAH….Dave’s a mess…..”

And a quick final note. Dean Arsene has probably seen “Slapshot” and “Dumb and Dumber” and all those movies thousands of times on those junior and pro bus rides. One of the best stories surrounding this team in 2009 is that the Edmonton Oilers called up Arsene and he played in the show. I think everyone who is a fan can appreciate what that must mean to him.

246 Responses to "Avalanche at Oilers, G22, 09-10"

« Older Comments
  1. kris says:

Nice persistent forecheck.

2. danny says:

Black Gold: wow. 23 years old. Hes a pretty big featherweight too, so I wouldnt be surprised if he's fighting at 155 in the UFC within a couple years.

Hes definitely a phenom. Faber/Aldo will be an exciting brawl.

3. Bruce says:

Well hallelujah. That was a terrific effort shift by three smurfs, all three won some battles, and got a well earned goal. O'Sullivan was due, that is for sure.

4. kris says:

Avs look slow and tired.

5. Bruce says:

Yeah, Sheldon, flatten that mofo.

6. pboy says:

Reddox has played great tonight. 100% effort every shift. It's noticeable.

7. doritogrande says:

This Deslauriers fellah, is he giving anyone else hart palpitations?

This lead isn't safe yet.

8. Bruce says:

What's really been encouraging is how JDD has fought back from a brutal start. Not his night, but he's showing some character in battling through it.

9. PunjabiOil says:

That Gretzky documentary on TSN2 is depressing – and I didn't even live through the glory years.

In other news, here's a gem of a thread on Scott Howson and his contract negotiating as an Edmonton Oiler:

Some gems:

1. Pisani: Deal was done 4 hours before free agent period. Howson thought Fern would get an offer of over 3 million from another team, wanted to sign him for 2 – 2.2. Fern's agent compared him to Chris Clark (washington) in January when Clark signed at 1.1 and wanted a similar deal for Fern at that point. The Oil chose to negotiate in the offseason and we all know how well he performed in the playoffs, hence the larger deal. Said "Fern chose to roll the dice and was successful."

2. Schremp: Signed him last year because they knew he would tear up the OHL and therefore the price would go up. Said he is his family's meal ticket as his father can no longer work and support his family. The Oil really like Robbie and had him rated 6th or 7th overall but passed at 14 because they werent comfortable with goaltending. When he was available at 25 they couldnt believe it. Had a good camp but too much forward depth and Thoresen was a more complete player. Needs to polish his non-offensive skills.

10. Bruce says:

Nifty stickwork by Hemsky in the D-zone there.

11. doritogrande says:

Fearless block from the ginger.

12. kris says:

Reddox.

Just Reddox.

13. Bruce says:

Great block by Reddox, and then Brule becomes the 8th Oiler in a row to go sideways at the Avs blueline. Get the puck deep, guys.

So, a question: does anyone in their right mind risk waivers on Liam Reddox now? What a great kid, hope Corsi embraces him one day.

15. danny says:

See kids, Gingervitis isn't that bad.

16. doritogrande says:

See kids, Gingervitis isn't that bad.

1 out of 5 dentists agree with this statement.

17. doritogrande says:

Battle to get the puck deep.

Thank you Ales.

18. uni says:

Well worth losing 4 hours sleep over =).

19. kris says:

I know it's an open netter, but he deserves it.

Hemsky's ability to own the puck won us this game. Avs couldn't stop our 1st line and our depth lines were able to look okay against a tired Avs squad.

20. Unleaded says:

It's safe now, thanks mostly to that heads-up play by Deslaurier.

21. danny says:

1 out of 5 dentists agree with this statement.

Not only dentists. Redheads are scary. Godless even.

22. kris says:

ANyone watching the shift charts, when and for how long, did Gilbert sit?

23. Bruce says:

LT: Lovin' Reddox. Still a few errors of commission, not to many of omission. Loved him clearing the zone in the dying minutes.

Besides, he already cleared waivers coming out of camp. I remember being quite concerned he wouldn't clear then, and was quite relieved when he did. Doesn't that make him safe for a while? And, is he still considered an emergency recall?

Anyway at the current attrition rate of -1 player per game, I don't think the emergency will be over any time soon.

24. Smytty777 says:

Kris: I didn't see the shift charts but Arsene had 9:30 in icetime Gilbert 7:41. That's pretty telling on Quinn's thoughts on Gilbert's effort tonight.

25. Bruce says:

Wow, just saw that call against Detroit. Absolutely brutal. Fuckin' near criminal that they couldn't get it right upon review.

26. Bruce says:

Kris: Gilbert played 5:53 in the first, 1:22 in the second and 0:26 in the third (during which time he assisted on the tying goal!). Tells a tale, doesn't it? He was horrible in the first period, looked like Tom Poti on stool softeners, and Quinn obviously had enough.

I don't particularly care which player it was, but am glad to see the coach demanding some accountability. That message will reach every man on the roster.

27. Rob Gilgan says:

Plenty of contracts/players that should not be brought back next year: Moreau, Nilsson, POS, JDD, Strudwick, Comrie, Pisani. You also have to consider moving Cogliano if the deal is right. Likewise with one of Gilbert/Grebeshkov/Souray.

That's nine players. Who you bringing in?

If every Oiler numbered 13, 89, 19, 91, 77, 37, 12 played with the smarts and compete level of 85 this team would make the playoffs.

85 is on the roster for the rest of the year.

It must be killing Quinn to have to roll only 3 lines for over 50% of the last 10 games or so.

I remember when 19 scored the SO winner in a game earlier this year and OTC said the guy he was most pissed at scored the game winner.

Will probably say the same tonight, although he had to keep playing him due to lack of forward depth. Defensive depth allowed him to keep 77 on the pine. (although 77 made a very good play on the PP coming down to the slot for a one timer that 16 buried the rebound)

I like that about Quinn. Doesn't matter where you are drafted or what the management thinks of you, you play if you play well.

Remember at the beginning of the season when the Oiler's defence were to play strong at the blue line and stand up players coming in. Did they abandon that tactic? Doesn't seem to happen much anymore. Couldn't rely on the forwards to come back quick enough to cover?

29. Dennis says:

Here's how I saw it and the five man band of 5-71-27-10-83 absolutely ruled the roost.

30. mjsh says:

My wife came into the room when it was 4-2 and I told her the Oil were going to win. The turning point was the hit on Moreau. Energized the team. Says to me that he is well liked in the room. Yes, he takes penalties, and no he is not the player he once was, but he still a decent fourth liner

31. Bruce says:

Dennis: You're right those guys dominated. That was Horcoff's best game of the year for my money, and maybe Hemsky's as well. Ales really had the puck on a string at times, and in all three zones. Smid was terrific all night and like Vis has a nice +3 to prove it.

5 and 71 both +3 on the night.

I wonder if you can clone Vis.

I'd like this defence:

44-71
    5-71
    37-71

33. Gerta Rauss says:

pretty blunt assesment of Gilbert's play…

Comrie very doubtful for the weekend "were not sure what's going on there"

Moreau will be examined tomorrow

Jacques full practice tomorrow,possible for the weekend

34. Dennis says:

WG: While watching this game I was more convinced than ever that one of our top six D will have to be moved for a Real forward to play in our top six.

I like the idea of putting 27 back with 19-89 with the idea of balancing out the scoring and that leaves 10-83 and the neverending quest to find someone that can score with them all the while Outscoring, you know what I mean?

A guy like 67 could be useful if we can get him a favourable matchup – though more and more it looks like this isn't a Quinn strong suit – and cats like 32-46-85 will work their bags off so there's places for them as well; plus, 32 can bang so we'll keep him.

but what about the rest? 18's on his last legs and 34 might be done; and 91 won't really fit here if we can find offense somewhere else.

So, there you go, we need to move a D plus perhaps 13 in order to flesh out that top six.

I don't see any other way around it.

35. the 0 in 0rca is for 0 cups says:

only got to see the 3rd.

picked up a funny feed that had ferraro and cuthbert talking between the commercials. got one good ferraro quote:

'the avs are a mirage. there's no way they can keep this up.'

nice 3rd though.

36. Black Gold says:

for 0 cups: I got that feed too.
    One time when he was on his way someplace for an interview or something, he said something like "I'm on my way, I've got to go through like 11 doors. It's like 'get smart' to get there."

It was interesting to hear all the banter.

Dennis,

Couldn't agree more, and I've been banging that drum for a while.

I think the hole at LW is more significant than C, so the D+small forward trade should be for a 1/2 LW.

The 3/4 C can (could have been) addressed cheaply through free agency while 1/2 LW would have to be an overpay if you went the FA route.

38. Dennis says:

WG: if we get a strong enough winger for say the 10-83 combo, then I think a 78-34 helmed third line – along with say 32 on their left side – would be a good secondary tough min line and then you have a 22-67 combo to build your fourth line around – they've had some early chem – and you flesh them out with either 46 or 85.

The problems with all this is the respective health of the 34-78 combo and of course if Quinn's a guy that can run a bench like we need it ran.

Anyway, my idea would be to move 44 if we can and then replace his toughness with another mover OR move the 13/37 combo.

39. T. says:

Comrie has asthma right?

Could a bout of H1N1/the flu have settled into his lungs and turned to pneumonia of some sort? Wouldn't necessarily have explained the blood work comments but alot of the complications with this flu seem to be when it blows up your respiratory system – if he's already compromised that way…

I don't think we can count on 34 playing, maybe ever again.

I used to think 44 was the logical one to be traded, but unless you are getting a physical top 4 defender back in the deal, I don't deal him.

When 24 and 44 were out the only pairing that could actual break a cycle was 71 and 5.

I used to defend 37 & 77's lack physicality saying you didn't need to hammer someone off the puck, you just needed strength and positioning, but neither of these guys has shown enough of that this year.

I like 13+37 +? for 1/2 LW and using some brain cells to find 3/4C.

Right now though, a great 1/2LW target is Patrick Sharp.

Chicago can't take any $$ back, so I'm looking at giving them any combo of prospects they want that doesn't include MPS.

Someone mentioned offering 13 for Sharp, but 13 is due for a raise, and Chicago needs to dump.

I do whatever it takes to get Sharp here under the cap.

Bury 12, have 34 on LTIR, tell 18 he's retiring now (give him a job to collect the rest of his salary)

Trade 19 for magic beans would be the last thing I'd want to do, but if it needed to be done to add Sharp I do it in a heartbeat.

I'd be talking to the Bowmans today about this.

41. PDO says:

Keep 44 and 71.

They're both still young enough for D's that they'll be value for the rest of their contracts.

Move one of 77 or 37.. and lean 37, because 77 is gonna be cheaper and you have him locked up, and he's a RH shot.

For the foreseeable future, that leaves the top 4 as 71-5 and 44-77, with 49 and 41 coming along nicely…

Also:

If I'm the Bowmans I'm trying like hell to make sure Sharp stays, so if he has to be moved it probably won't happen until the summer.

I bet Campbell can be had for a bag of pucks to be names later.

PDO: agreed unless you can only get the 1/2 LW for 44 and not 37+, and then I think you have to do it,but make sure you're getting a tough D coming back too.

Only 2 years left on 27&83 after this year, and LW needs to be fixed ASAP.

« Older Comments