Eberle

We know the value of a junior player’s offense at ages 17 and 18, but by the time he’s 19-years old said prospect is either in the NHL or should be tearing the cover off the ball. In order for a player to really impress at the junior level–to put himself in contention to skip the AHL at age 20–how much offense would be required?

I think Jordan Eberle may be approaching a level where we can begin to talk about him skipping Triple A and making the big club.

Why? There’s just so much offense. I understand a lot of it is on the powerplay and he’s playing extended minutes but this has all the makings of a “season for the ages.” Plus, he’s not exactly playing for the London Knights at this time.

Here’s a list of some very impressive 19-year old seasons in the WHL over the years:

1. Jordan Eberle (09-10) 19gp, 18-22-40 2.11
  2. Brett Sonne (08-09) 62gp, 48-52-100 1.61
  3. Joffrey Lupul (02-03) 50gp, 41-37-78 1.56
  4. Eric Fehr (04-05) 71gp, 59-52-111 1.56
  5. Pavel Brendl (00-01) 49gp, 40-35-75 1.53
  6. Martin Hanzal (06-07) 60gp, 26-59-85 1.42
  7. Dustin Boyd (05-06) 64gp, 48-42-90 1.41
  8. Tyler Ennis (08-09) 61gp, 43-42-85 1.39

As with all 3 Canadian junior leagues, most of the elite level talent is long gone by age 19. No matter how well he does this season Eberle isn’t likely to approach the WHL’s all-time records. Ray Ferraro’s 108 goals are safe and the fastest 50 goals (Bill Derlago, 27 games for Brandon in 77-78) is a distant bell. Rob Brown’s 212 points in a single season is also crazy talk.

58 Responses to "Eberle"

1. PunjabiOil says:

Pouliot had 45 goals and 114 points as a 19 year old. Mind you, Crosby played on same team

2. Bar Qu says:

The math looks good for Eberle, but he also seems to have the right attitude too. Everything I have heard out of the kid's mouth speaks of character and intelligence. I know that is an intangible, but it may be an important one that helps middling prospects make a career.

I can't help it, I like the kid and hope he does great in the show.

PJ Oil: I didn't list Q and O numbers because it would include some wonky seasons (like Schremp's). The WHL's leading scorers this decade haven't been posting those mondo numbers.

4. B.C.B. says:

LT, keep up the good work on the prospect since the NHL team isn't worth talking about. Last night was another waste, I was using it to relax but it made me more angry.

I think next year, for Eberle, is more dependent on his TC, then his WHL season. I wouldn't mind seeing him get 30-40 against the AAA pitching, then a promotion to the big league.

5. Showerhead says:

My only fear with Eberle is based on the how I expect him to get points at the next level. He's fairly shifty, excellent at changing the angle on his shot, and has good hands in close. Does he have the kind of shot that's going to beat an NHL goalie from the top of the circle? Is he fast enough to create space for himself off the rush?

I'm on the fence. My thinking is that Eberle will need to get the majority of his points from some pretty tough real estate at the NHL level. If his hockey IQ is high enough or he adds a speed or strength dimension to his game, thing will be quite alright… but as I said, count me as on the fence.

6. hunter1909 says:

These prospects need to be physically mature. Playing in juniors makes these guys out to be killers, then they meet grown men and are splattered against the windshield like so many Drayton Valley grasshoppers.

Anyway, the last thing the Oilers need is more dwarf sized players.

Come to think of it, who exactly is responsible for all these perimeter only playing midgets? We know it can't be Tambellini, since he never does anything.

7. digger says:

One thing that gives me hope for Eberle is that from what I've seen, he's a much more complete offensive package than the one dimension sniper he was billed as when the Oilers drafted him. He has outstanding offensive instincts, and I'd say he's equally as good a playmaker as he is a finisher of plays.

My main concern with him is that I REALLY wish the rules were different so that 19 yr old juniors could play in the AHL, because IMO he's wasting his time in the dub…yet I'm also glad he's not in the NHL this year because he's physically not ready for that jump. The AHL would be the best place to develop him and make sure he's playing the game the right way, alas that isn't to be.

Considering where the Oilers drafted him, I think there's potential to have a major steal on their hands.

As for his size, it's a concern but I'd gladly send undersized spare parts like Nilsson and Comrie on their way if they needed to make room in 10/11, and IMO it's only a matter of time before one of either Gagner or Cogliano is dealt before the beginning of next season…and suddenly this team doesn't have a quite so many small offensive forwards.

If he proves himself next September, there's room for him on this team.

8. danny says:

Hey LT, I posted something for you in the last GDT. Just in case you didnt see it, ill repost as you might find it very useful.

I did some searching in regards to your discussion about using photos. I was looking into editorial usage rights, and stumbled across this service named PicApp.

It has a gigantic resource of images and handles all of the licensing. You get to use it for free on your blog, they automatically credit the photographer for you.

Heres a search for Jordan Eberle

You just click an image, copy the code and paste in your post. Its good for personal and commercial use.

9. jon k says:

If you check out the Wheatkings website you can see the highlights from the 8-7 barn burner against Regina from the other night. Eberle had two goals and three assists I believe.

I'm not sure about what I saw in that short viewing. He scores both goals coming off the right wing, sniping just in the circle.

It's definitely a pro shot he's got, but is it good enough for the NHL, and to make up for the problems he's going to have being a small man?

Still, an enticing prospect who you can't help but cheer for. The WJCs should be a delight.

Danny: Thank you!!!

11. jon k says:

On another note, is there anyone who wouldn't trade Tom Gilbert for Scott Niedermayer straight across? It would help resolve part of the cap quandary for the upcoming season and also be a step towards making the second season this year.

I wouldn't. Gilbert is a quality defenseman signed to a solid contract and is part of this team. The chances or re-signing him down the line are greater than any chance to sign Scotty N.

Love the player, but he can't help the Oilers when they're good.

13. PunjabiOil says:

Dustin Boyd scored 48 goals and had ~90 points in about 60 games as an 19 year old.

Neither players put up big numbers as 18 year olds, both are small. Eberle has better numbers, but for some reason I am taking a 'wait-and-see' approach for Eberle.

14. Kyle says:

I wouldn't. Throw away a useful NHLer on a good contract for a player that's got a half to one and half seasons left tops?

Who are we, the leafs?

15. Jfry says:

i'm glad eberle's numbers are WAY ABOVE anyone on that whl list, because no one that list has really done much in the show — lupul, perhaps being the high water mark

boyd was the player i thought i might actually get a flames jersey for. he was awesome in his first training camp — undersized, but awesome.

hopefully we're not using boyd as a comparison for eberle 5 years from now because he just hasnt delivered the numbers

16. Schitzo says:

Well, we should also be realistic about Eberle's pedigree. Late first rounder in what was not considered a particularly strong draft does not suggest we should get our hopes up too high.

It's nice to see the arrows pointing in the right direction, of course.

17. jon k says:

The assumption I make is that he'd actually retire after this season. Cap space has to come from somewhere and as we currently stand we're going to have to move some players regardless.

18. Steve says:

Well, yes, but you'd think that worst case scenario we could get some picks and prospects for them. Gilbert's contract isn't bad, so there's no need to dump it for nothing of value (to us, that is; Niedermeyer's obviously a great player, but he's of no use to us unless he's still going to be a great player by the time we're a good team).

19. Schitzo says:

To play Devil's Advocate – what kind of return would Neids get at the deadline?

Likely can't move Gilbert for a first, prospect and a roster player… but Neids? Hrmm…

20. misfit says:

Yeah, cap space we could use to not sign Kovalchuk or Marleau next offseason.

21. jon k says:

Misfit: How about cap space to re-sign Cogliano, Gagner, Brule, and Grebeshkov?

In any case, just something to think about sometime soon. Something's going to give so I think it makes for interesting discussion.

22. The other John says:

"Love the player, but he can't help the Oilers when they're good"

Frick LT when does the Oil get good? Seriously?

Only saving grace is that Quinn appears to be holding back what he really thinks about some of the boys…… wonder if he is keeping his powder dry so that he can take over as GM of this over matched squad

Plus why with this talent level are we sitting at the cap….. that makes ZERO sense

23. Ribs says:

That's a great site, Danny. Thanks!

24. Unleaded says:

We get good in 2011 when the overpays from the cup run come off the books. If those players are traded before that time, we have an opportunity to get better sooner, not only because those roster spots open up (moreau), but because we have money to get someone else to fill them.

This isn't rocket surgery folks. I'm not making any excuses for the lack of movement, but baring any more bad contracts, that's when they get better.

God knows if 83 will want to stick around to see those days, but if he does, we could see some players in their prime tearing it up in E-town.

25. pboy says:

Off topic but….

Bruce: I have been talking about that stupe for years so it's gotten to the point where I'm surprised when he Doesn't fuck up.

Dennis calling theCaptainethanmoreau a "stupe" last night has had me laughing for 12+ hours now. Well played.

26. Steve says:

How much talent are we going to need to move? Here's a list of guys who we'd presumably rather not move (either because they're good or because they're cheap) who are under contract in 2010-2011, along with their cap hits:

Visnovsky – $5.6M
    Horcoff – $5.5M
    Souray – $5.4M
    Penner – $4.25M
    Hemsky – $4.1M
    Gilbert – $4M
    Khabibulin – $3.75M
    O'Sullivan – $2.925M
    Smid – $1.3M
    Stortini – $0.7M

That's $36.525M for 5F, 4D, and 1G.

Here's a list of guys we currently have and would presumably like to retain in 2010-2011, but who aren't under contract for that year, listed with their current cap hits:

Grebeshkov – $3.15M
    Gagner – $1.625M
    Cogliano – $1.133M
    Pouliot – $0.825M
    Brule – $0.8M
    Stone – $0.6M
    JFJ – $0.525M
    Potulny – $0.481M
    Reddox – $0.416M
    JDD – $0.625M

That's another 8F, 1D, and 1G. What's it cost to keep all those guys? I'm not really sure, but the only guy on there I see as a cinch to get a big raise is Gagner. Cogliano hasn't shown much yet during his contract year. Grebeshkov is a very useful player but is already being paid as such, and hasn't shown that he's worth a big raise beyond that.

I'm terrible at this, but here's a guess at what some of those players might cost next year (bearing in mind that the price for FAs, R as well as U, is likely to go down owing to the lack of capspace around the league(:

Grebeshkov – $3.5M
    Gagner – $3.0M
    Cogliano – $1.8M
    Pouliot – $1M
    Brule – $1M
    Stone – $0.75M
    JFJ – $0.75M
    Potulny – $0.75M
    Reddox – $0.75M
    JDD – $1M

That's a total of $10.8M, bringing the total cap hit so far to $47.325M for 13F, 5D, and 2G. We're still short 1F and 2D, but given the free agent market we should be able to pick up decent ones on the free agent market for $1M apiece (probably less for the second replacement D), which means that for $50.325M we've got the following roster:

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    O'Sullivan-Gagner-Cogliano
    REPLACEMENT F-Pouliot-JFJ
    Reddox-Brule-Stortini

Extras: Stone, Potulny

Souray-Gilbert
    Visnovsky-Smid
    Grebeshkov-REPLACEMENT D #1

Extra: REPLACEMENT D #2

Khabibulin
    JDD

Now, that's a really lousy forward corps, I admit, but the defense remains excellent and the goaltending's the same as this year. And I don't think the cap goes down all the way to $50M, does it? If it doesn't, we've got the difference to use to upgrade the forwards and, again, FAs are going to be cheap.

This is all predicated on not resigning Pisani (or re-signing him at a lower salary to be that REPLACEMENT F) and, more critically, unloading Moreau, Staios, and Nilsson without taking on salary in return. But worst case scenario we can bury them in the minors. If we don't want to do that, couldn't we get rid of them by sending picks the other way too (i.e. Staios and a 3rd for a 5th, or something)?

I might be burying my head in the sand, but I'm not yet ready to concede we need to salary dump some of our good players.

27. geowal says:

LT:
    I had expected the post this morning to be about a prospect, but was actually expecting Philippe Cornet or Olivier Roy. Not sure if you saw the QMJHL v Russia game following the oilers.

Cornet looks like a pretty good player, was assistant captain last night, agressive on the puck, seems like a shoe-in for the World Juniors.

28. uni says:

The argument can be made that Eberle was best player available at the time, so I'm not unhappy at all with his selection. He pans out great, he doesn't oh well, it was a solid pick at the time.

I'm more interested in the 3 players selected after the top 100 were off the boards in 2008:

103rd – Johan Motin, D, SWE
    133rd – Philippe Cornet, C, QMJHL
    163rd – Teemu Hartikainen, C, FNL

Any way you slice it, that's a heck of a list from outside the first 3 rounds. If even one of them makes it to the NHL as a useful player that's a good showing, if 2 then wow, all 3 and you'd have to count a middling draft with only 1 high pick as a big win. Still lemons instead of oranges, but hot diggidy if they make fine lemonade.

Also I've been pulling for Cornet as my favourite from that draft ever since Lord Bob promised he'd eat his hat if Cornet ever made the show.

29. Bar Qu says:

danny,

thanks for the link – I think I can use it as a safe search site for my students and their projects.

Not to mention my own (not ready to have anyone see it) blog.

Good point about those three guys, uni. One or more of them has the chance of making the Oiler's procurement staff look like Red Wing level geniuses.

30. Unleaded says:

Steve,

I think that's a decent breakdown, but there are some questions that need to be answered before you go making some of the assumptioins you are.

1 – Do we want to keep Grebeshkov?

2 – Are we keeping all of our small forwards, and if so, how do we make room for other young talented players?

3 – There is the desire within managment to move out the overpaid vets.

4 – We will somehow replace those vets with better cheaper vets.

I seem to recall someone somewhere saying something about the problem here being there are not enough vets to play the positions we need played well AND mentor the kiddies.

How will your plan deal with this issue?

31. Traktor says:

I think any club that chooses to hand Moreau the captaincy deserves to finish in the gutter so Edmonton is getting everything they asked for.

I think the only joke bigger than Moreau at this point is the guy who's afraid to strip him of his letter and remove him from this team outright.

It's like MacTavish.. the fact that Lowe kept him around for so long automatically puts him at the same level of MacT's mediocrity.

Every day the Moreau continues to "lead" this team the management of this club looks even more pathetic. But like the others have said, this club doesn't even pretend to care so what do you do?

I'm back to cheering for losses again for fuck sakes. I'm not sure who I want to lose more, the Leafs or the Oilers, but that's basically all I have to stay interested in hockey right now.

As for Eberle.. if I'm starting an expansion draft I take him over Gagner, Cogliano and all the other runts. If he was drafted by any other club he would be a surefire 30 goal guy but since he was drafted by Edmonton we'll have to see.

32. hunter1909 says:

Sadly Traktor is right, with this team already starting to look past the point of giving anything more to the fans than another top ten draft pick.

Quinn's taking over a team of pluggers and dwarves, discovering what an impossible bind he's in vis a vis being simply stuck with these untertalents, while Tambellini sits on his hands and holds his breath hoping to cash every upcoming paycheck, provided he doesn't rock the boat.

Tambellini has no one but himself to blame. He's the one who talked the talk last spring, but cannot walk the walk. Katz, realising this by next springs, will almost certainly fire this lame quacking arse.

33. hunter1909 says:

spring*

Effing typos.

34. hunter1909 says:

How about if someone makes a 1-30 list of NHL captains, in order of value to their teams? I'll start the ball rolling with:

1- Crosby

35. Phil says:

I thought Ennis would be a comparable for Eberle, because he is a high-talent smurf centreman as well (btw LT, you have his numbers right, but the year wrong – it should be 08-09).

Ennis had only a slight improvement between his 18 and 19yo seasons (1.30 to 1.39). He's having a nice rookie year in the AHL, and 1 goal in 1 game with Buffalo, but it seems he will not be a regular in the NHL at 20 years old.

Eberle, on the other hand, is showing a quantum leap between 18 and 19yo seasons (1.21 to 2.11). I think that his injury problems last year skewed his numbers, but still. If he can keep up this pace, combined with his impressive AHL showing last spring, he'd have to get a pretty long look next TC.

On the other hand, putting up big numbers in the Dub doesn't seem to mean much. The last three guys to have 120+ point seasons in the WHL:

Justin Mapletoft ('00-'01)
    Brad Moran ('99-'00)
    Pavel Brendl ('98-'99)

Not exactly NHL All-Star material.

36. commonfan13 says:

Any ideas on what we'd have to give Boston for the TO pick?

I personally think anything should be on the table since our best-case scenario for this season (or worst-case scenario depending on how you liked the last 15 years of mediocrity) is a late run to squeak into the playoffs.

Since I'm not interested in getting another first round exit and crappy pick for our trouble this year, I'm perfectly open to trades that make us dramatically worse for the rest of the season.

37. Steve says:

1 – Do we want to keep Grebeshkov?

Well, without context that question isn't really a useful one. He's a good defenseman, so from that angle, of course we want to keep him. Everything beyond that depends on what he costs, what the cap is, and what holes we have in our roster. But I'm working from the perspective that he's part of an extremely solid top 4D (5D, really, with the way Smid's developed) grouping, and that we'd rather not lose any of those guys if it's not essential that we do so.

Well, I'm assuming that we lose Comrie, so that's a start. Of the major pieces, the only others are Gagner, Cogliano, and O'Sullivan. I don't think that's an inordinate number of undersized skill players if we're balanced elsewhere (which right now we're not), though I wouldn't be entirely adverse to unloading O'Sullivan. Some of the third- and fourth-liners are small, too, but they can be switched around with any other young bubble players without it changing what I'm proposing.

3 – There is the desire within managment to move out the overpaid vets.

I agree that this is unknown. But if there isn't that desire, we're screwed either way, so might as well assume that management's interested in doing what's best for the team.

4 – We will somehow replace those vets with better cheaper vets.

Given the cap situation, does anybody doubt that there will be a shortage of veteran UFA forwards who are better and cheaper than Moreau next summer?

It's a concern. But seriously, is Moreau teaching our kids anything now? Do we lose anything in either category by jettisoning him? Staios has a reputation as a good mentor, but we're not exactly dealing with a rookie defensive corps, here, and Visnovsky seems to be able to teach young guys a thing or two as well, at least if Smid's any indication.

As for my plan…well, I admitted that the forward corps isn't much good. But REPLACEMENT FORWARD should be a vet of at least Moreau/Pisani calibre (and ideally higher). If the cap's, say, $52M, then we can replace two of the $750K kids with $1.5M veterans. Even if it isn't, we can scrimp at bit on the defense – say, making Chorney and Strudwick are two replacement ones, which shaves about $600K off of the cost I've budgeted for them – and use that to pick up another cheap veteran.

We saw last year that the pricetag of UFAs went way down. That's only going to continue if the cap falls.

38. Doogie2K says:

To be fair, two or three of those players are still in the clear prospect stage (including Brett Sonne — sorry, LT), but your point is well-taken: what the hell's Pavel Brendl done the last eight years?

Also belonging on that list of ball-ripping 19-year-olds is one of Eberle's chief rivals for the scoring title, my favourite "one that got away" so far, Kings prospect Brandon Kozun, with 24 GP and 11-32-43 (1.79), who's coming off a 16-game point-scoring streak.

39. Dennis says:

Pboy: I am glad you liked that quip because I mostly threw it out there for Bruce considering he grew up back here and he might recognize the term as one that was used in NF a great deal; or at least it was in the area where I grew up.

Phonetically, it would be sounded out steww-up and I must say that it's fun to say;)

Anyway, I must say that the example of 18's play represents just how grown up/apathetic I've become when it comes to the Oil.

The guy's done for all to see but the media still licks his ass and calls it ice cream and the org refuses to get rid of him. The whole idea of him on the big roster annoys me but years ago it would bother the fuck out of me.

40. FlamingPavelBure says:

Kind of diapointed you forgot him

Regular Season Playoffs
    # Player Name Birthdate Age Pos. GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
    22 Simon Gamache 1981-01-03 19 L 72 74 110 184 70 64 21 22 35 57 18

I mean… 184 points, it's a damn lot 2.55 PPG. (At 19 in 2000-2001, (Even excluded from Team *cough* Racist *cough* Canada)

41. Schitzo says:

1- Crosby

Heck, I'll debate even that.

1 – Lidstrom.

[If Crosby goes down they still have this Malkin kid, so Crosby's value to the team is lower than Lidstrom's].

The thing I like most about Eberle is his score on the "give a shit" meter. I guess you could also call it desire to be better, but I like Give A Shit.(GAS)

I was living in Calgary when Brendl was playing for the Hitmen. Went to a few games to specifically watch him and it was terrible.

Didn't back check, didn't skate unless he had the puck. Didn't really look like he gave a shit. He scored a ton of points simply because he was bigger and better than everyone and they couldn't stop him.

As soon as he played against players whom it required an effort to beat, he folded like a card table. No try. Maybe worth 1 GAS point.

The only time I've seen Eberle play was this pre-season. He didn't get a point, but he was out there giving a shit on most shifts. He fought through checks, went to tough areas and played like he wanted it. Most nights he played, he was the Oilers best player. He'd rank about 8 on GAS. (as any young guy trying to make the NHL should)

If he can bring that to the NHL almost every night, he can be an effective player.

43. Jonathan Willis says:

With no offence intended to Woodguy, I thought I'd put up a contrast I noted in his assessment of Eberle and in a draft-day assessment.

Woodguy:

Michael Remmerde:

Casual player – effort level is never there. Tends to stick to the perimeter.

One of the best natural goal scorers in the draft. I'd like him a lot more if he ever broke a sweat. Skating seems alright, but almost never uses what speed he has. I'll say one thing for him, he's not scared. I'd rather have a lazy player than a scared one.

Summary: Light a fire under him and you might have a 1st/2nd line scorer.

Maybe he's improved or maybe (and his play at the WJC and then after would seem to confirm this) he's at his best in pressure situations and his focus lapses outside of them.

I don't know one way or the other, but it's something I keep in mind.

Just wanted to point out again that I didn't include Q or O players, no racism intended.

If Katz is serious about his NHL toy becoming competitive, he would be wise to have his staff look closely at the fire sale that is about to happen in Chicago.

Toews, Kane and Keith are all about the be re-signed and Chicago is going to need to dump a ton of salary. (approx. 10M give or take)

Sharp, Brouwer, and Barker should be at the top of the wish list (particularly Sharp), with Byfuglein and Ladd also being interesting. (Versteeg is good, but duplicated on the roster, even if he's better than the Oilers' current 5'10 guys)

Katz just needs to give Lowe/Tambellini the green light to bury significant salary in the minors and/or trade some assets for magic beans to free up space.

This can be done if the owner is committed to spending a pile of money covering up old mistakes and striking out boldly to make this team better.

I'm sure Campbell can be had for a 3rd round pick, but who wants that contract?

JW,

Interesting.

I had a much different take on him from the limited ice time I saw.

Any reports on if that has changed this year? Is that what is causing the significant jump in ppg?

Did his taste of the NHL make him try harder?

Good info.

Doesn't jibe with what I saw, but I haven't seen game of his outside the WJ and Oiler pre-season.

Was much more impressed with him during Oiler pre-season than WJ.

47. hunter1909 says:

Schitzo:

Aww, come on, you know all I want to see is where thecaptainethenmoreau sits out of those 30 NHL captains.

Lidstrom, Crosby, no problem are one and two, but what about thecaptainethanmoreau?

Is there any more useless captain in the NHL?

Is there any more useless captain in the NHL?

Chris Clark is the only one that comes close to thecaptainethanmoreau in terms of use to the team, I think.

49. HBomb says:

If Chicago is truly willing to move Sharp, damn he'd be a fine pickup for this team.

Versatile, can finish, can skate, decent size, can PK. Add him to Horpensky and Gagner, and there's five sixths of a dynamite top two lines.

50. HBomb says:

51. Smarmy Boss says:

Eberle is a tough one. He can be that annoying, effortless perimeter player people complain about.

However, he has the tools and the smarts to do some real jaw dropping stuff.

Pats need to trade him to one of the powerhouses in the dub.

52. knighttown says:

To play Devil's Advocate to JW Devil's Advocate (Angel's Advocate?) didn't Eberle rank as the most fit Oiler at this year's TC?

53. pboy says:

HBomb: Oh, and speaking of Chicago, how much do you think they regret giving Brian Campbell that deal now?

That was a Dave Tallon signing. I'm sure that when Bowman Sr & Jr are sitting around trying to figure out how they can keep Sharp, Brouwer and Barker they look at Campbell's black hole contract and have the following conversation:

Bowman Jr – I just can't figure out anyway we can re-sign Keith, Toews and Kane without having to trade at least 2 of the Sharp, Brouwer and Barker group. Soupy's contract just eats too much of our cap and now that Milbury and Esposito are no longer GM's, there isn't anyone stupid enough to take him off of our hands.

Bowman Sr – You can thank Dave Tallon for that. The guy is a fucking stupe!

:}

54. Scott says:

knighttown:

I Eberle him mentioning that he wished he had put on more weight in the off-season (although I also remember hearing he put on 10 pounds, which isn't trivial). I don't remember how the rookies ranked in the fit tests, though.

55. CrazyCoach says:

That's actually Dale Tallon, not Dave.

56. uni says:

Don't forget about Huet, that's 13 million tied up in those two guys long term.

I'm not too sure on how of those signings were on Dave Tallon, and how much were on others. Havlat seemed to have some choice words on his departure, and consensus was Hossa wasn't his idea. All speculation, however, and we'll likely never know the truth.

I have no love for Chicago, but I feel for them. Sub Havlat at 4 million for 5 instead of Hossa, minus Campbell, and sub in whoever for Huet (lordie forbid Anderson at 3 million for 3-4 years), and one less RFA SNAFU and they have perennial powerhouse written all over them. Lots went wrong in Chi-town.

Now if only the Oilers could build a team like Chicago and Pittsburgh. Something about their mediocrity smacks too much of the Maple Leafs, and even the Leafs have a better cap situation. Here's hoping all the young'n's pan out cause prospects are the only thing I get excited about anymore.

57. Terry says:

Smarmy Boss

I don't want to sound like on of those name dropping losers but, I can actually tell that Brent Parker is thinking about trading him. I had the oppertunity to have a couple of beers with him while he was in Red Deer a couple of weeks ago (for the under 16 tourny in Blackfalds). He said that it was getting pretty close to a fire sale in Regina. THey have been better of late but Parker said this was his chance to really build for the future. He figures he will be able to get back young players that are still good enough to get them into the playoffs this year. I think that is a bit optmisitic but it should bring back a great return.

58. Bruce says:

Hunter: That's a great line. :D It's also the reason I absolutely love watching the Oiler Wannabes play the Golden Bears every September. There's always a snot-nosed kid or three that gets his immediate comeuppance against a bigger, stronger, more experienced grown man.

He's got a lot of growing up to do, but I really liked what I saw of Eberle in the last two camps. He's got the head and hands I only wish Patrick O'Sullivan had. Quick reaction time, low panic point.