Every Dowd Has a Silver Lining

This is Jim Dowd. He played 70 games for the Oilers, scoring 5 goals. Picked him up in a deal that sent Greg DeVries away and lost him in the expansion draft in 2000 (Minnesota).

Dowd played on a line with Boyd Devereaux and Georges Laraque and that 4line could rattle and hum. He killed penalties and he contributed a little on offense and he could win a faceoff and move up the depth chart and not look foolish.

Jim Dowd was an extremely useful player, and the Oilers could use the new Jim Dowd right now.

36 Responses to "Every Dowd Has a Silver Lining"

1. shepso says:

Could Mike Peca be the new Jim Dowd? I'm grasping at straws clearly, but it's not like we can coax Adam Oates out of retirement now that he's behind the Tampa bench (with Stamkos and Malone reaping the benefits). There has to be somebody useful in the free agent scrap heap somewhere.

Dowd was a real NHL player, fearless, great 4th liner. He had a couple great years here. Is he even still around? Last I remember, wasn't he playing in Jersey?

2. mylifeontheelist says:

Ah yes, the man I loved before Marty came to town.

-Loxy

3. John says:

Keep saying it…..the new Jim Dowd is Boyd Gordon…bigger, slower and much better at face offs

4. mjsh says:

Have the Oil not been looking for Jim Dowd for a long time? I wonder if Brodziak has upped his play in Minny?

5. geowal says:

I wonder if Brodziak has upped his play in Minny?

He's not burning it up, but not doing too bad. Would probably help us a bit, certainly wouldn't hurt.

GP G A P +/- S% TOI/G FO%
    14 2 1 3 -2 10.0 14:58 52.1

6. Ben says:

How about Jarrett Stoll or Marty Reasoner or Kyle Brodziak?

7. spOILer says:

Just say "Howdy Dowdy to Gilbert 'La Creme de la Creme' Brulé".

Isn't that the intent?

Would you trade Cogs and Grebs for Reinprecht and Seidenberg?

8. Traktor says:

I'm sure Peca has already received some offers but if chooses to go to a non-contender then it will probably be somewhere a little closer to home.

Look at Manny Malhotra – he turned down 8 million over 4 years in Atlanta to sign a 1 year deal in San Jose for under a million.

Boyd Gordon? If the Caps traded him they would need to go out and replace him. Washington has no need for our soft forwards, especially when Philadelphia just added Pronger and a couple other greasy players.

Speaking of Washington, keep an eye out for a prospect by the name of John Carlson. 6'3 defender that has the tools to be a star in the NHL.

9. Jon says:

I am pushing for two pickups in wake of our horcgate.

You could pick up todd Marchant for cheap
    or
    you could pick up Kyle Chipchura from MTL.

Both of those would help our 3rd/4th line prediciment

10. SK Oiler Fan says:

I'm not buying the Horc out for 7-10 days line. He's just resting his shoulder? It will be healed sooner rather than later? What does that mean? No real diagnosis given. Me thinks they're just protecting the morale of the rest of the team.

There must have been something ailing him before this shoulder injury as well. He wasn't shooting or handling the puck like a healthy Horc.

Even if he comes back after 10 days he likely won't even be up to the form he was playing at at the start of this year. Scary.

11. knighttown says:

Your post, LT is about finding Jim Dowd (Coach PB would be proud) however, as usual, it got me to write down some thoughts on another topic you alluded to.

I'm not sure the term, but the Oilers have very few players who can move up and down the depth chart without looking ridiculous.

Horcoff, Hemsky, Souray, Visnovsky and Penner did so much more last year than they get credit for. They posted a combined relative CORSI of 58 and that fivesome had 5 of the Top 7 toughest QC's.

This year, the second wave has been asked to step up. 83/10 fall in this group of 7 atop our QC rankings (O'Sullivan, Jacques, Gilbert, Grebs, Strudwick). 83/10 have a combined CORSI of -3…holding their own vs. the toughies. The other tough minutes fivesome combine for a -80.

They've asked people to mature and step into new, more challenging roles and without exception, they've failed. How do we change that?

12. Hockey Noob says:

Spoilers,

Yeah, we could really use a guy like Steve Reinprecht.

I actually played against him back in Bantam AA. It's been a while but I think he played for Knights of Columbus. Back in the day, I played L defense and Reinprecht was the one guy I played against that got me nervous. He was easily the best player in Bantam that year in my league.

It's funny how things work, pretty much the only reason I remember his name from back then was because of how often my dad would talk about him after games. "That Reinprecht kid is something…"

I think he had a brother Jeff that was also a pretty good player, though I am not quite sure what happened to him.

Back to now, Steve's lighting it up for the Panthers with 11 points in 12 games.

13. Stef says:

You say we need a Jim Dowd clone. You may be right, but some of us still haven't gotten over the Toby Peterson love affair yet. Give it a little more time.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge these new roles so quickly. There's going to be a learning curve and rough stretches when you try to do all of that at once, especially with so many players in and out of the line-up due to injury and illness.

14. raventalon40 says:

Would you trade Cogs and Grebs for Reinprecht and Seidenberg?

The Oilers are desperate, yeah, but not doing bad enough in the standings to warrant overpaying for people.

Cogs and Grebeshkov is already worth more than 2/3 of what garnered a Danny Heatley type of player.

15. Hockey Noob says:

Okay, I've got one more good Steve Reinprecht story…

Back in 2001, I used to live in a condo on Whyte ave. One day I woke up and was headed down to buy a coffee. For whatever reason, the elevator was out of service, so I took the stairs. I was half-asleep walking down the stairs when all of a sudden…

There's Steve effin Reinprecht… carrying the Stanley cup! Of course, I noticed Lord Stanley's cup before I noticed Steven.

In complete shock, I think I mumbled something like, "Wow, is that really the Stanley Cup?" Steven replied, "What the fuck do you think?" As he walked by with it, I managed to touch it and that was it.

Afterward, I sort of regretted not having much else to say, but you never really expect moments like that in life.

16. FlamingPavelBure says:

''I am pushing for two pickups in wake of our horcgate.

You could pick up todd Marchant for cheap
    or
    you could pick up Kyle Chipchura from MTL.

Both of those would help our 3rd/4th line prediciment''

Kyle Chipchura

13 GP 0 G 0 A 0 PTS -8

Go ahead, you can have him

I know EDM is crying for a Grinder.

But god, put aside the suckers.

17. Smarmy Boss says:

Dowd? Let's get Bert Robertson while we're at it.

I just don't see any moves that are going to propel this team. They just have to admit that Lowe was a retard and retool the lineup.

18. Ben says:

How about Jarrett Stoll or Marty Reasoner or Kyle Brodziak?

19. Smarmy Boss says:

How about Trottier and Carbonneau?

20. Asiaoil says:

Complete flush strategy that will never happen until the owner grows up and grows some balls:

1) get Kevin Lowe completely out of the organization….like "fired" out

2) tell Tambo to grow a pair or move him as well and make Quinn GM

3) trade Moreau for anything to create cap space for next summer

4) trade Staios for anything to create cap space for next summer

5) waiver or trade Nilsson for anything to create cap space for next summer

6 trade Cogliano/Grebs for a winger like Stafford plus high draft pick (either packaged or apart)

7) let Horc and Souray get completely healthy – out all season if necessary

8) suck properly all season to get a top 5 draft pick

9) use cap space next summer to acquire a couple of big tough vet bottom 6 wingers, a vet 3rd line center, and a couple of bottom pair dmen

10) make noise next year with retooled lineup plus bright future with MPS and high pick developing

…but this is the Oilers so we will instead be following another pathetic UFA chase next summer while ignoring a host of smaller moves that could make this a better team.

21. Bar Qu says:

Is Stajan someone you could pry out of Toronto? His corsi and penalty for/against back up a very nice 52% FO number.

22. boopronger says:

Ya i agree Asiaoil. Going for the big whale every off season is getting tiresome. Its also backwards. Build the team first, then when you are close go for the whale. The whale will also want to sign with your new winning team instead of said team overpaying a disgruntled player.

23. Asiaoil says:

BQ – yeah Stjan works for me – UFA next year so how about offering Pouliot and see how it goes – if he fits you resign him.

24. St George says:

Me neither. Clearly from his comments something is up.

Last time I had a serious shoulder contusion from hockey, I was told to wait for 7 days for the initial swelling and bruising to subside so they could do a proper x-ray/mri to determine the extent of the injury. I suspect something similar here, so we could hear something worse next week.

Oh, and AsiaOil, right on.

25. Bar Qu says:

Yeah, that was a brilliant list Asia.

And I'd give up Nilsson or even POS for a Stajan at this point. Just for the cap relief.

26. Bruce says:

They just have to admit that Lowe was a retard and retool the lineup.

SmarmyBoss: I thought the Oilers "retooled" when they replaced Lowe with Tambellini?

:D

27. LMHF#1 says:

I'm sure you're not surprised to learn that I hated Jim Dowd. Still do.

But tonight is not about hockey, it's about my Yankees and #27. At least one of my teams has taken it home this year.

28. DBO says:

How about Moreau for Chris Higgins? Higgins isn't playing great but he's a two way forward with ok size, can score 20+ goals and can kill penalties. Better yet he's a UFA next year and Moreau is the kind of guy torts loves. Last year on the TSN panel Torts called Moreau one of the best captains in hockey. Makes sense for both sides, and we get a player that can play on any of our lines and not get killed. Small change i know, and it doesn't address our biggest need at center but it helps us out this year and next with cap relief.

29. Dennis says:

I believe I read somewhere that Peca was holding out for a bit because he was thinking of pulling a Clemens and not playing the whole season and for family reasons he would only play with a team out East.

One guy I keep thinking about is Mike Zigomanis. What were his faceoff numbers like when he was an NHL regular? I know the Pens picked him up last year and he was a regular with them until he was hurt and wound up missing the playoffs.

Anyway, I remember Dowd and I loved that guy; sorta reminded me of the Habs that I watched all the time growing up and hated, fellows like McPhee, Carbonneau, Keane and Skrudland who would rather swallow the puck then turn it over.

30. Dennis says:

Did Torts really say that??

I wonder how much value 18 has left. You could probably easily unload him at the deadline if he was on his last year but who's gonna want that cap hit for 2011 as well? Plus, the less icetime he gets with the Oil, the even lesser his profile becomes.

Horcoff admitted today the he hurt the shoulder 3 weeks ago.

Explains alot.

AsiaOil,

Pretty spot on but you are underselling Greb/Cogs. With those two you can get someone as good as Morrow.

Why get someone you hope will one day be as good as Morrow when you actually get Morrow.

Dallas is very deep on LW with Eriksson, Neal and Morrow, with young Benn starting to look like a player too.

Neiwendyk stated that Neal and Eriksson are untouchable, but they were the only ones that were mentioned in that category.

32. Mr. Bugg says:

Easy: Send the Stars Visnovsky and Omark for Benn and something. Kicks off the rebuild and we get a nice big Western boy who can score goals.

Benn-Brule-Eberle would be a solid 'kid line' next year. Mmm mmm.

33. Bendelson says:

Re: Would you trade Cogliano and Grebs and a pick/spare part for Horton and Seidenberg?

I wanted to chime in to discuss Horton – Seidenberg replaces Grebs short term, so fair enough, but getting Horton would be something special.

$4M/yr for 4 more years? That's a very workable contract for the Oilers moving forward. Another Penner type player and contract…

Penner, Hemsky, Horton, Gagner and Horcoff is 5 of 6, all locked in. With Eberle and MPS on the horizon, this seems to me to be one a THE players the Oilers should be seeking. Even with Gags and Eberle in the top 6, we wouldn't be considered small anymore.

If Grebs and Cogs is the cost, it would be extremely difficult to say no in my opinion. I might be inclined to send Sully instead of Cogs to up the ante in fact…

My sense is many here would disagree and consider it an overpay?
    Really?

Asiaoil: Great comments… and well said.

34. Vince says:

If this team still has the same problems after the Olympics cap space HAS to become the top priority; last summer a team could have built a killer bottom 6 on August friggin 1st. I say if this season starts turning out like last season it'll be time to make the tough decisions.

35. raventalon40 says:

the time for tough decisions started before the Oilers acquired Erik Cole

36. John says:

Traktor

Re Boyd Gordon

Would agree with you but Washington is not dressing him. He has only played in 6 games. Their centres are Laich, Brendan Morrow, Steckel and Nik Backstrom

So he is in the PB and would be, I think, cheap…..MacIntyre? Nilsson? Moreau