Oilers at Islanders, G15, 09-10

These two organizations are tied together in so many ways. Both teams were built through procurement of young players, both teams have had incredible highs and lows, both teams are at a lower point in franchise history.

The Oilers and Islanders have some nice young players but other teams are as young and look better moving forward. The balance of power now is in towns like Pittsburgh and Chicago. A betting man would suggest a trip to the SCF is a distant bell for both teams.

It’s a good thing we’re fans.

301 Responses to "Oilers at Islanders, G15, 09-10"

Newer Comments »
  1. Yeti says:

Quite frankly I'm pissed that there wasn't a Schremp photo up there. Unquestionably he's the biggest link of them all. Shame on you.

2. knighttown says:

Now that the calendar has turned to November, can anyone recall if points in this month matter?

If they do, I'd suggest we stop giving a combined 50 minutes of ice time to Strudwick, Chorney and Peckham. Their combined -100 CORSI is impossibly bad and scroll to the bottom of the NHL's CORSI list and you'll see all of them.

I don't care if it's an overpay or if we have to flush some marginal talent; find a goddamned defenseman now. Not doing so is the equivalent of what the Islanders did with their goaltending last season…playing Danis and McDonald when better options were out there and cheap, including Garon.

They were gunning for Tavares? We wouldn't dare…right?

3. Steve says:

To follow up on what Yeti said, I'm surprised you didn't mention the greatest similarity of all: both ruined Rob Schremp.

4. raventalon40 says:

While we're working on that Oilers-Isles relationship, we should ask Snow if he wants Nilsson back.

5. Black Dog says:

Probably old news (haven't looked at the last thread) but apparently Horcoff has the flu now as well.

I think things are going to get a little worse before they get better.

6. kris says:

KT,

*sung to the famous Geoge Thorogood song*

I look at the GM, and I said "come down here."

He got down there.

"So what you want"

"One D-man, one forward, one beeeeer…"

Well, we ain't seen a good team since I don't know when.
    We've been playing middling prospects, and Nilsson

Etc. Etc.

Seriously, we need one 3rd pairing, reasonably responsible guy who can play some games in the top 4. And we need one more guy to play in the top 9. And we need to start dumping some salary.

7. Ribs says:

How about that Schremp guy. He played 6:15 back on Oct.22 (-1) and hasn't played since (5 games and counting). Think we see him tonight? A shootout could be epic.

8. doritogrande says:

Steve Staios, ring a bell (pun intended)?

9. doritogrande says:

LT:

Best.Photoshop.Ever.

10. Smarmy Boss says:

You guys probably already mentioned this but I raised an eyebrow when I heard Ron Maclean mention CORSI. Although it's not that surprising since he's a very intelligent hockey guy.

11. Bruce says:

apparently Horcoff has the flu now as well.

Goddammit anyways. I blame Lowe.

12. Traktor says:

GFON/GA0N/60

Cogliano + 0.37
    Gagner: 0.34
    Horcoff: -1.26

13. rickibear says:

Looked at zone shift today! We have three forwards in top 50 toughest zone starts.

Brule 11GM 4G 4A OCPT 38.6 #15 113 Faceoffs 47% win
    Penner 14GM 9G 10A OCPT 42.6 #44 175 Faceoffs 46% win
    Horcoff 14GM 2G 3A OCPT 43.7 #50 213 Faceoffs 50.2% win

I realy want to see brule get a chance with Penner again.

14. Traktor says:

ricki:

Breaking up Brule and Penner is criminal. Horcoff doesn't know how to create offense by himself though so what do you do?

15. Bruce says:

GFON/GA0N/60

Cogliano + 0.37
    Gagner: 0.34
    Horcoff: -1.26

SV% ON:

Cogliano .963
    Gagner .918
    Horcoff .894

16. Yeti says:

Oh thank god that LT got rid of the photos of all those other Oil-Island crossover losers and restored Jesus to his rightful position on the cross. If only you could photoshop in Craig MacTavish sticking a spear in his side and twisting it ever so slowly with a masochistic grin on his silver fox face.

17. melman says:

I get the whole develop the young guy thing, but Peckham (who I like) is drowning. He missed TC etc. and was better last year. Why not call up Arsene and give him a look. With 3 regulars out and Theo struggling badly, all they need is solid in your end D.

Is really there no one in the league who wants Nilsson? Hard to believe Minard or Linglet are that much of a drop off. Shed the salary and get someone up who will do whatever it takes to stick (see Ryan Stone). A fourth rounder and cap relief sounds OK to me.

18. Alice says:

So let me get this straight, CFP's wife gives Horcoff a dose – of the flu, that is – and what are we left with?
    How about Bobby vs. Bobby, a roaring tilt 5 minutes in. Your read it here first.

19. rickibear says:

Traktor: Anyone who thinks this year is not a transition year too. The youth rolling in next year.

These two guys will be nice LW and RW for horcoff.

MPS .75PPG 2nd Best In SEL history.
    D. Sedin #1 .82: forsberg #3 .72.

Eberle: 2+ PPG. Is special looked at WHL History of 2PPG. Around 36 + 26 from 3 soft WHL periods.

A lot of interesting names;
    60& 70's in order: Clarke, Leach,Kindrachuk, Henning, Lysiak, Sobchuk, Mcdonald, Chipperfeild, Rogers, Ruskowski, Bridgeman, Trottier, Federko, Carrol, Murdoch, Derlago, Propp, Tambellini, Boshman, Wickenheiser.
    80's:
    80-84 14 players no NHl
    Ferraro, Hodgson, Ronning, R. Brown,Wheldon, Sakic, Fluery, Recchi, S. Barnes.
    90's:
    90-91: 7 players no NHL
    Whitney, V. Bure, tucker, Langkow, and Iginla.
    96-97 5 players No NHL.

00's: Eberle.

I like that list.

20. Ian says:

Wait a minute.

.. Schremp is an Islander?!?!

21. quain says:

A random exercise wherein I do something without trying to make any point at all:

If you exclude the first five games of the season, the Oilers ES season stats:

Shots: 173-266 (-93)
    Goals: 15-20 (-5)
    Corsi: 311-441 (-130)
    PDO#: 101.2 (8.7%; 92.5%)

And, for comparison, Games 1-5 on their own:

Shots: 96-111 (-15)
    Goals: 15-8 (+7)
    Corsi: 203-226 (-23)
    PDO#: 108.4 (15.6%; 92.8%)

22. uni says:

Not very surprising, since Ron mentioned over a year or two ago that he follows a number of hockey blogs, among them Tyler's Mudcrutch.

23. Dennis says:

If 10 and 71 are back in the lineup, I'm taking the Oil both on the moneyline and also scoring first. If JDD starts, I might take the over as well.

I was thinking about the Oil playing here tonight and it got me wondering why we wouldn't bring out the old school home whites as well as we have the old school road blues; which are now used at home of course:)

It would be sweet to see those teams line up sporting their old laundry.

RB: maybe the awnser is to have 67 play the RW with 89-27. That's two of our primary draw guys on the same line and it leaves the 4th line without a real faceoff guy but that shouldn't make too much difference anyway.

24. Dennis says:

Gregor says 49's out and 71's back in and here are the lines:

27-10-83
    22-89-12
    19-67-34
    18-13-46

I imagine Khabby's starting but I was hoping the Oil would keep their word and throw JDD in there.

25. Traktor says:

"SV% ON:

Cogliano .963
    Gagner .918
    Horcoff .894"

5X4 PTS/60

Cogliano: 19.20
    Gagner: 7.83
    Horcoff: 2.97

26. geowal says:

If Cogs is a faceoff guy in this scenario that leaves 2 lines without a real faceoff guy :)

27. hunter1909 says:

"MPS .75PPG 2nd Best In SEL history."

Tom Gilbert = best goal scoring rate in OIlers rookie defenceman history

___________________________________________________

LOL

28. kinger says:

I might be wrong but I think Quinn just referred to Pisani as "Steve" in the pre-game scrum.

29. Yeti says:

Do you think he meant Steve Pisanityre or Steve Staiani? Steve Staiani sounds like he could play some mean guitar.

30. dawgbone says:

wouldn't surprise me Kinger… this is the same guy who said Souray is digressing about 4 times the other day.

31. Black Dog says:

Well, its a known fact that Souray always tends to go off on tangents when he's telling stories.

For example he'll talk about that time he took to ferry to Shelbyville.

Or was that Quinn?

Or was that me?

Hmmm … zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

32. kris says:

Traktor,

You realize part of Cogliano's good goal differential is sheer luck illustrated by the unsustainable SV% behind him, no?

I mean Corsi isn't everything, but it's something, and Cogliano's Corsi is not just ugly, it's fug ugly, to quote Moe.

33. kris says:

And I think a lot of people would say that Cogliano has looked way off since the first couple of games, although his linemates may -hopefully- be the cause.

Hard to be a rookie carrying craptain, I mean captain, Moreau around.

34. kris says:

Melman,

I couldn't agree more. Arsene might be steady, which is way more than we've got now.

Minard and Stone might be steady guys too.

Does Minard PK?

35. HBomb says:

Regardless of the reasons for why player X isn't getting more opportunities, does it strike anyone else as "trolling" when someone posts a set of small sample-size stats, with ZERO discussion of the context surrounding said stats, in order to try and prove some "point" that it in itself isn't quite clear?

What is clear is that Cogliano isn't as good an all around hockey player at this point as Gagner, let alone Horcoff (aka "the best two-way center on the Oilers by a country mile and then some").

Quinn was talking about Steve McQueen in Bullitt.

HBomb: This has been going on forever, I'd ask that people ignore these types of posts. If we're going to exchange ideas and push along opinions, we need to either back it up with logic, reason and math or we need to say something like "I'm not sure how to get there but…"

Otherwise we're talking like the guy in Kids in the Hall trying to buy stuff for $5.

38. quain says:

Mark Messier, Age 18: 0.21 Points/Game
    Sam Gagner, Age 18: 0.62 Points/Game

Can't get anymore clear than that.

39. Bruce says:

Kris (& Traktor):

Corsi tells a tale about thecaptain not to mention the other Oilers on the fourth line and third pairing. (Make sure you scroll All The Way to the bottom.)

Moreau's real Corsi in the last two games is 2 attempted shots by the Oilers, 26 by the opposition in just 18:14 ES TOI. Which the back of my mental envelope calculates is a Corsi/60 somewhere near -80 for those two games. He's either sick or he's The Worst Player In The NHL™.

40. Hockey Noob says:

Hey LT, that's too funny! Your GDT has a photoshop that I made. I took the photo itself at an Islanders/Oilers preseason game that I went to with free tickets from David Staples. Thanks to MC79 for the update on your blog about the tickets!

I had mistakenly changed the photo which is actually of John Tavares into number 88 Schremp when he was picked up on waivers. However, Schremp's actual number with the Islanders is now number 13.

41. bookie says:

I think the Coach is crazy for not playing MacIntyre more frequently. Really the guy should be our number 1 center. At his rate of scoring last season, he would be a lock to get 60+ goals if he had the same icetime Horcoff gets!

42. bookie says:

I have decided that I am going to be a bit forgiving of this team until after the flu has passed. THe team has some problems, but its hard to know how big those problems are when quite a few of them are playing half-sick.

43. Hockey Noob says:

Here's the original photo of
    John Tavares

44. Bruce says:

Bookie: Yeah, the flu undermines everything. It's easy to see (and say) that the team sucks right now, but it's less simple to put our fingers on why, or at least to what degree. My eye says that they don't have a lot of energy, at least not 60 minutes worth as supported by that third-period scoreboard I mentioned above. I'm even prepared to give thecaptainethanmoreau a break … sure his stats are wholly (and unholy :) bad but his kid does have H1N1, he may be sick himself, or he may just be worried sick. He may be bad, but I don't think he's quite This bad.

So I keep trying to write caveats saying "this [insert bad shit here] is what's happening, but the flu is likely part of the reason" and hope it doesn't come across as being too harsh. It's a real tough run for the boys, and the schedule-maker hasn't exactly been our friend either.

Hockey Noob: Thanks! I hope you don't mind me using it. I also noticed your blog wasn't on my blogroll so have placed it there.

46. rickibear says:

Traktor: Team records meh! Historic LEAGUE records yeah!

As for eberle.
    If the WHL has 4-5 guys getting 2+PPG usually means a soft season.
    Does not look that way.

47. Hockey Noob says:

Hey LT, thanks so much for the blogroll link. I actually thought it was pretty cool that you used the photo. I thought it had somewhat of an interesting story behind it since I do owe thanks to Tyler for the head's up on the free tickets.

48. kris says:

Ditto LT and H-Bomb on how to debate the numbers and context.

49. HBomb says:

Numbers are pointless white noise without context.

To quote Homer Simpson, "You can come up with statistics to prove anything you want – 42% of people know that!"

Of course the door swings both ways, but personally, I am going to listen a lot more intently to an argument that has some structure and backing to it than one that is just one set of numbers with zero analysis. Maybe it's just me though…

50. Dennis says:

Speaking of The Simpsons, I was watching some of the old repeats on Global yesterday – I placed some bets on the NFL but decided I'd be much calmer if I didn't watch the games – and for the first time in a long time, I saw the ep where Michelle Pfeiffer played a co-worker of interest to Homer.

Absolutely brilliant stuff.

HBomb: What's happening at this blog is that there are people who know their stuff and those who know a little and then those who can't be bothered but grab "low hanging fruit" to cause disarray, confusion and frustration.

I could delete a bunch of the posts and do from time to time, but remember when some of the really bright posters came aboard and perhaps took time to get with the program.

So, this blog is an attempt to invite everyone in and ask that respect rules the day. The fact remains we can all learn from each other, but do agree that some is minutiae and some is people being assclowns.

52. HBomb says:

Dennis: if you want to pick up a good book, read "Planet Simpson". A good examination of the history behind the show and the societal and cultural impact.

The first eight seasons were absolutely prime stuff.

53. HBomb says:

The first eight seasons were absolutely prime stuff.

54. Master Lok says:

LT: On another note, did you come up with a nickname for Penner?

How about Barley? (as in the foundation of beer…) I think Barley could stick for Dustin…

55. HBomb says:

Lowetide: agreed totally. To draw another analogy, not every poster is the equivalent of Sidney Crosby, coming in and making a true impact after half their rookie season.

It takes time to become a tough-minute outscoring forward, in other words (took Hemsky a good five seasons by my eye).

Then again, some guys go "Lupul" and never figure it out.

I love analogies.

(If there was a Crosby of the Oilogosphere though, Mr. Willis gets the award – the guy was a star in no time).

56. kris says:

The more and more I think of it, somone should keep track of Cogliano's numbers in his games as a wing and games as a center.

I have a suspicion his problems with Corsi, and SAON/60 in particular, are due to his inability to play the demanding role of center in -what seems to be- a very difficult system Quinn/Renney have set up for breakouts and D-zone coverage.

It could mean that Cogliano is not slumping as a prospect, but just -as many have suggested- can't play center, only wing.

Is there any way to figure out Cogliano's numbers at wing, quickly?

Going through each game log and lineup for Cogliano's career would be a killer.

57. FlamingPavelBure says:

I'm really starting to like Brulé, seems like he's always pushing it, and getting good occasions every game.

As a question to anyone here:

Do you think that now (Even with sample size) that Gilbert Brulé is a better hockey player than Andre Cogliano?

I think so.

That and: Please someone tell the GM it's okay to ditch your captain, if he sucks that bad.

58. hunter1909 says:

How much of the current Oiler's malaise is down to:

1- the flu

2- injuries

3- new coaching

4- prototypical suckage

I's got's to know.

59. Master Lok says:

fpb:
    is Brule better than Cogliano?

Answer: no.
    Reason: small sample size.

60. Master Lok says:

fpb:
    even with small sample size?

Answer:
    if you excuse the small sample size, then the answer becomes meaningless.

61. Hockey Noob says:

@Kris,

In the recent Bruins game, I noticed that the Bruins seemed to position wingers 10 feet off the boards and managed to get out of their zone pretty easily.

The Oilers partly due to the Corsi Brigade (David Stapes came up with that one for Smac though), seem to try to move the puck up off the boards all the time which has been part of our break-out problem IMO.

62. Traktor says:

Just a couple days ago LT used Gagner's and Cogliano's PTS/60 as evidence of separation between the two.

I'm sure LT figured out how credible those numbers are when Horcoff was at the bottom of the pile.

Troll? Maybe. I'm not a fan of double standards though.

63. HBomb says:

Traktor: I'd be willing to bet that Lowetide at least put some words to explain his reasoning, and there was likely some sort of mention about small sample size.

Whatever it was, it would contain infinitely more content than the "numbers without words" that you spewed out earlier in this thread.

As for double standards, it's pretty damn difficult to compare guys like Cogliano and Gagner with Horcoff. 10 has a long record of solid NHL performance, while the other two guys still haven't hit the end of their entry level deals. You're comparing grapes on the vine to wine in the liquor store.

64. Dennis says:

JW does some great work but I'm not sure if Crosby would ever play on the same line as Robin Brownlee;)

65. Traktor says:

Talking about Cogliano's behindthenet numbers without mentioning Moreau is like talking about Jokinen and not mentioning the SE division.

Moreau is the start and end of any discussion about Cogliano.

66. HBomb says:

Traktor: there is no dispute that Moreau has had an effect on Cogliano's numbers and performance the last stretch.

However, like MacT wasn't the one solely to blame for Penner, Moreau isn't the only reason Cogs is struggling.
    The absolute best thing they could do is move Cogliano to the 2LW spot and see if things go better for him. If they do, the Oilers as a team are better off for it, since the drop from Penner to the next best LW on the roster (Jacques) is about a 20 story plunge right now.
    I don't know who is so insistent on Cogliano playing center (be it Andrew, the coaches, or the management), but it's pretty clear (at least in my mind) that the current arrangement is NOT working.

Traktor- My comment with regard to Gagner/Cogliano:

One of the big surprises for me this year is the gap between Gagner and Cogliano. 5×5/60 pts are an example: 2.07 for Gagner and 1.10 for Cogliano. He is way better than that.

The "he is way better than that" has been added to by various posters here, and in fact some of the comments with regard to sample size are completely reasonable.

Bruce (I believe it was Bruce) summed up the Cogliano side wonderfully in the thread below, and that is kind of what I'm talking about in this thread.

Not every post involves 6 hours, a slide rule and a sundial. If I was trying to bury Cogliano then there would either be more proof required or a more stern retort from posters.

The group seems to have figured out I wasn't viciously assaulting Cogliano and his abilities.

68. hunter1909 says:

There's something that reminds me of Forrest Gump, watching thecaptainethanmoreau as he rushes through the opposition zone, hell bent on reaching the back of the rink.

Like he wants to just skate into the parking lot.

69. PDO says:

I'm at school with the GF, and she's studying while I watch the game on my laptop…

So who has a feed? :-).

70. spOILer says:

Dennis,

I don't know if I would be taking the over in this game.

Report from your "buddy" Brownlee.

Good comment about Schremp at the end.

71. Traktor says:

I don't know what I did but now everything on my computer is upside down. Does anyone know how to fix this? I remember I did the same thing a few years back and there is an option to rotate computer screen but I cannot find it in my display menu.

No Schremp? Crazy. I'm getting the Islanders pre-game on my PPV, is this normal for the Oilers?

73. Dennis says:

I'm impressed anytime Brownlee writes anything without scat references or allusions to fartcatching.

BTW, I'm in the East and I'm getting the Isles feed on CI instead of the Oil's PPV cast. Is this happening to anyone else? Am I getting the Isles feed because there's an alternate available?

74. bookie says:

No Schremp? Crazy.

They are saving him for later because everyone knows that games in October and November don't count as much as the ones later in the season!

75. Bruce says:

Dennis: Not to worry, we got a thorough scouting report on this guy. Shoot early and often, from everywhere. Look for juicy rebounds. He's very susceptible early in games.

Btw, I hate to keep asking, but it's a (don't)pay-per-view game, so does someone have a link? Thanks.

Now I'm getting MSG commercials and a woman with a nice voice talking hockey. She's pretty but her mouth moves funny when she talks.

Is it my tv?

77. danny says:

Ouch the Isles HD feed is actually worse than Sportsnets.

Hopefully theres a glitch somewhere and the isles feed is a temp patch.

78. Gerta Rauss says:

Isles feed in BC.
    BEV CI package.

Refreshing,actually.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBO

80. danny says:

MSG+ needs to adjust their rabbit ears.

81. danny says:

The PBP guys have baseball voices.

82. Gerta Rauss says:

i've got debrusk and quinn now…

83. Gerta Rauss says:

and the picture seems to have cleared up as well…i thought it was my glasses again…

84. HBomb says:

Traktor: Cntrl-Alt-Up Arrow should correct the problem. Give that a shot.

85. danny says:

I firmly believe NHL CI's control room has a flaming couch and yakety sax on repeat.

86. PDO says:

All I have so far… and it's pretty meh.

Yakety-Sax. Classic. That and some honky tonk piano and we've got a party.

The Oilers seem to be unaware that there's another net.

So, Dan Tencer. How many nosebleeds in grade school?

40?

And btw, this story is bullshit. Sather walked down the hall to shake Arbour's hand and looked in the room to see body bags.

He never let up the following year.

90. Traktor says:

That fixed it. Thanks.

Well dammit! We packed the rubber sticks!

92. danny says:

What # does Lubo rank all-time Oilers defenseman? In regards to pure ability… I'd imagine hes pretty high.

Lubo probably doesnt make the HHOF though. Hes 33 now and hes only played 561 NHL Games.

93. Traktor says:

O'sullivan thinks this is an All-Star game.

94. PDO says:

Danny:

#1) FCP
    #2) Coffey
    #3) Lubo

O'Sullivan played that 2 on 1 worse than Horcoff would have… ;)

This interview is painful.

Ethan snipes!

97. HBomb says:

I constantly wonder if a Grebeshkov and O'Sullivan package could land us a winger out of the Dustin Brown/David Backes/Drew Stafford family of players.

98. hunter1909 says:

Moreau??? I don't believe this.

99. kinger says:

Stortoni and Gagliano assisted on that goal according the Isles play by play guy.

And who's this Tyler Chorney fellow?

100. Ian says:

Sick move by Hemsky.

101. Ribs says:

Hemsky and Penner are really working the puck. I expect some points tonight from them.

102. Bruce says:

Like I said. Shoot early and often, from Everywhere.

Hard-working goal. Good strong board presence from Zorg and Moreau, support from Cogliano, and a friendly bounce, but what the hey we'll take it.

And just like that, Chorney gets a particularly rude welcome to Acidville. Easy come, easy go.

I'm still giggling about Grebs coverage on that goal. Can we name him Torpedo? Please?

104. spOILer says:

Grebs AND PaddyO for Stafford? Please. Just say no.

Justin TV okay but no audible sound. Which might be a good thing.

105. Bruce says:

And who's this Tyler Chorney fellow?

Kinger: have you heard of the Witness Protectioln Program?

106. Smarmy Boss says:

NYI feed was shown because *gasp* the ppv truck wasn't working. It's baffling that the Oilers think they can charge this much for bad feeds and Gene interviews.

107. Bruce says:

Fuckin' zebras. I saw enough of that replay to see Sutton try to take out Gilbert when he was in a vulnerable position, and when JFJ moved in it looked like Sutton crosschecked him right in the face. And WE got the instighator penalty? Give me a fucking break!!!

108. PDO says:

No audio… how on Earth does NYI get a PP there?

109. spOILer says:

A Canadian singing the US anthem to the WS ball game?

110. Bruce says:

That Sutton guy is a real prick. Seems to me he's put an Oiler or two on the shelf before. That time the NYI forward was hooking Gilbert and Tom was bent over and the big goober came in and stuck his hip into 77's head.

Hard to say for sure with this "feed", which is like 2 or 3 still pictures every second. But it looked like Sutton was doing all the dishing out, and we got the 17-minute penalty. FFS

111. spOILer says:

PDO, seems like their volume applet is weak. Play with it and you get some scratchy muffled audio eventually.

112. CrazyCoach says:

Wow Alanis Morisette with the anthem at the WS, and some warbling. Bleeding Gums Murphy would be proud

113. Bruce says:

I can't seem to get this Sopcast player to download. What's the secret handshake?

114. spOILer says:

Bruce,

The NYI Islander anouncers were up in arms over JFJ stepping in to deal justice on a clean legit hit. They were calling for the 17 minute and they got it.

115. doritogrande says:

Does anyone have a feed that isn't the justintv?

It's so bad, I switched to listening to Rod Phillips.

116. CrazyCoach says:

Sutton is a prime example of a few disrespectful players in hockey who simply don't care.

117. danny says:

I did my first MMA fitness Bootcamp class today. I missed 10 minutes due to vomiting.

118. doritogrande says:

Butch Goring's a hockey commentator for the Islanders?

119. Traktor says:

Bruce:

Don't worry about it, Horcoff will settle the score in the 2nd.

120. Smarmy Boss says:

Smac shows why Saskatchewan owns.

121. doritogrande says:

I forgot about him in my rebuttle to H-bomb's "all-star" team over at the new IOF, but he surely deserves an honourable mention.

H-bomb: I think my team takes yours in a 7-game series. Though we share a lot of similar players.

122. pboy says:

How many times have we seen a teammate step in for another after a legal hit and the refs not call for a 2, 5 & a 10? Of course, they call it this game on Jacques. Either it's a fucking penalty everytime or it isn't, pretty damn simple. I hate NHL refs.

I don't get into too much trade speculation but I wonder who the Oilers could pull for a combination of Grebs & Sully and/or Cogs? I can't see how the Oil can afford to pay 4 defenceman 4 mill + and Grebs is the guy to go IMO. Cogs brings a ton of nice things but I would have to pick Gagner over him and with MPS, Eberle and Nash on their way, Cogs can be considered tradeable. I like both players but you have to give up quality to get it (unless you are talking about Bruins-Sharks deals) and Grebs and Cogs are probably highly coveted by other teams. Would L.A. trade Dustin Brown for them?

123. CrazyCoach says:

Dorito speaking of idiots, did you see that hit on that kid in the OHL? Now that is scary stuff. It is emblematic of the lack of respect some players have today.

Hard to believe there was a time when guys didn't wear helmets. I applaud the work of Dr. Tom Pashby and his intent to eliminate eye injuries in youth hockey (which he pretty much did). However, there was a huge error in making full cages: Teaching players to respect the head. That is why so many guys today have a lack of respect for each other.

124. danny says:

Cogs / Grebs / Sullivan

for

Weiss / Horton ?

125. Dennis says:

If you don't believe that Sutton's hit was illegal, then you give 22 the instigator and that's fine.

But why are you giving him the fucking 10 min misconduct as well?

Seriously.

I had the chances at 8-5 and that's a decent start. You had a laughable sequence on the Tavaras goal but we were OK outside of that; just OK because this Isles team isn't great but it's better than how we played at Bos.

Other things:

- I honestly had a feeling the 4th line was gonna score on the exact shift that 18 did in fact score

- 41 had a flub on one play but immeadiately tied up Tambellini and kicked the puck to win the battle. I thought that was worth mentioning.

- Not sure if 27's racked with the flu but he didn't have much going in the first period and he didn't have much going at Bos or last Tues vs Colu, so, I don't know..

126. kris says:

Terrible.

127. doritogrande says:

My response from Coming Down the Pipe, verbatim:

I'd call it a charge, but I'm laying the Fanelli's condition completly on the fact that he's too stupid to properly secure his chin strap. Helmets don't fly off that fast if they're done up correctly, and you can clearly see from the replay that his helmet is off before his head collides with the glass.

Completely his fault that he's injured to the extent that he is..

IMO, the injured kid got what he deserved.

128. knighttown says:

@Bruce

As usual, your memory is bang on. It was one Andy Sutton, as a member of the Atlanta Thrashers that concussed Fernando Pisani in the winter of 2007. Fernando was coming in off the right faceoff circle and engaged with another defenseman. He just turned the corner and jumped in on Sutton who nicked him with an "upper arm" in the chin.

He may have caused one of the follow up concussions for Stoll too, after the original Pahlssen cheapie.

129. kinger says:

Grebs with a well earned -1.

130. RiversQ says:

Man, young dmen are frustrating. Chorney is getting thrashed so far.

131. doritogrande says:

I missed the Oilers goal. Has Roloson given up his trademark "soft" goal yet? If he has, we're in trouble.

132. FlamingPavelBure says:

Apparently, Robert Nilsson got a helper on Witt's goal without being on the ice or with the Islanders.

Such a pro team at MSG

(It's Franz Nielsen stupids)

133. Traktor says:

Hemsky is the only skilled forward on this team that is willing to take a hit to create something.

134. RiversQ says:

Oh and how about Ethan Mo' Show with the goalscorer's goal?

We're at the stage where that's his best chance at a goal.

135. kris says:

We have one good line.

3 other lines and some d pairings and we'll be okay.

136. doritogrande says:

Such a pro team at MSG

Learn some geography kid. The Islanders play nowhere near Madison Square Garden.

137. RiversQ says:

Hemsky' fully invested tonight. It helps that the Isles mostly stink, but Hemsky has his legs tonight and as Traktor said he's brought his trademark lack of fear too.

138. Traktor says:

kris:

Which line is that?

139. FlamingPavelBure says:

Dorito Grande: It's the name of the Channel that broadcasts the game for the Islanders.

DUH

140. geowal says:

I'm in the same boat. Sort of got it to download, though it wasn't real convincing in the process. Now it's all fired up, I'm "logged in" (not sure if that's even necessary), but I can't get it to actually play anything. I'm back on to CHED.

141. kris says:

Own zone stuff is murder right now, even against the Isles.

142. doritogrande says:

It's the name of the Channel that broadcasts the game for the Islanders.

My bad. I just caught that.

143. RiversQ says:

Kinger: Add "Oh-poso" to the list.

I'm pretty sure that's not a silent K in Okposo, but what do I know?

144. Traktor says:

My feed is choppy but did Hemsky just dangle someone after the whistle?

145. danny says:

unbelievable.

146. kris says:

Blah

Kids, don't play like the Oilers!

148. kinger says:

You know what sucks about the kid line?

That.

149. RiversQ says:

Chorney out there again and few dudes are as clueless in their own end as Cogliano. Marchant with hands my ass. He couldn't carry Todd's jock.

150. kris says:

Rod calls it: the Kid line just scored that goal on their own net by being crappy, Nilsson especially so.

No way Minard, Potulny, or any number of easily signed cheap FA's are that bad.

151. danny says:

The Islanders powerplay looks impressive…

oh wait…

152. Bruce says:

A burst of speed from Cogliano and followed by a hit from Stortini: two things we've barely seen for a week. Both elements are so central to those players' games that I'd be willing to bet "flu".

Knighttown: That rings a few bells (Fernando's and Jarret's to be specific). He loves the high hit, and it comes naturally to him being such a huge goober. This one was a high hip on Gilbert's head. And to my eye Sutton landed the first blow, really gave it to JFJ on the way in, so I repeat my question: how the fuck is that an instigator penalty?

(And yes, "Bruce you got a bad feed" is an acceptable answer, because I most certainly do.)

153. RiversQ says:

Actually maybe it is Oh-poso. Not even Rod would fuck that up.

154. doritogrande says:

I can't wait for this team to get healthy. Then, they'll finally have no excuses to hide behind.

That nice little 5-game run they went on aside, they're a lottery team. It's high time mangement realizes this, and tanks a season to save Brian Burke's sorry ass.

155. FlamingPavelBure says:

Kris: Ah cmon a barelly deflected wrist shot from Bredan Witt?

You serious?

156. Bruce says:

Since the lockout Brendan Witt has played 293 games and scored 4 goals. Career high for a season is 3 goals (13 year career).

FFS

157. sean says:

The number of puck battles the kid line can lose in one shift is truely staggering.

158. geowal says:

Between the comments and Rod Phillips I'm feeling glad I can't figure out the sopcast. Time to build some grub.

159. RiversQ says:

Yeah I've seen enough of the kid line. I'm sure even Traktor would concede that one.

The only way they come back is if Hemsky goes ballistic like that Columbus game last year.

160. kris says:

FPB,

Stuff like that happens when you can;t get the puck out, and all three of those guys couldn't get the puck out. Nilsson is the worst offender right now, IMO.

Is "floatiest" a word? If so, it describes Nilsson.

161. Traktor says:

I concede.

162. kris says:

Hahaha

Rod Phillips is nice and surly tonight:

"One dumb play after another"

then he sighs.

163. RiversQ says:

Ha ha. Actually I thought it was worth a try a few games ago if only to save Cogliano from Moreau, but it's not working.

164. Garth says:

Rod and Bob are just ripping into Nilsson and Grebs tonight. Is it as bad as they're making it sound?

Garth: On the first NYI goal, Grebs hit the line of scrimmage with a full head of steam. I don't know how they got that first down.

166. uni says:

Okay, this pretending to be asleep and lying in bed with one eye open on the game thing isn't working.

Penner, Hemsky, and Visnovsky combining for 6 goals in the 3rd to overcome Streit's impending hattrick would be nice.

167. Garth says:

Heh. Thanks, LT.

168. kris says:

Garth,

I'd say yes.

169. Doogie2K says:

So I just got home and checked the score. Apparently I should've grabbed Brendan Witt as my IR callup last night. Jesus.

Judging from a quick scan of the comments, it's exactly as bad as it seems, too. Thank you, midterms?

170. Traktor says:

I think Quinn needs to go back to Penner-Brule.

Its one thing to try and get 10 out of his slump but the last thing we need is 27 catching Horcoff's hand flu.

171. kris says:

"hand flu"

????

My guess is BDHS can imply something lewd and gross with that.

172. Bruce says:

Is it just me, or has Schremp outplayed Nilsson tonight?

173. kris says:

I do agree Traktor that we need more balance in the lines.

174. Dennis says:

I had the chances at 6-6 for this period and it's so frustrating offensive because:

-71 comes in off the right point and gets in below the top of the circle and it's just a muffin

- 27's in the slot and Roli's pulled to the past and 27 gets off a weak shot that Roli gets back on

- 13 roars down the wing and has room but does nothing.

- 83's open in the slot but can't get it on net.

On the other end, the Oilers look like a team that isn't coached or just isn't listening. They make their own beds hard and when even guys like 71 are sifting blind backhands up the middle, what can you do? Granted, the 3-1 goal was a bad one by Khabby but the Oilers can never break their own zone with any momentum.

And, yes, the kids line is awful.

175. PDO says:

Cogliano's figured out how to keep that shooting % up..

Just fire the puck 5 feet wide half the time..

176. spOILer says:

Breakouts. Breakouts. Breakouts.

I hope this lack of practices is really the problem, because there's no reason a group this talented can't get out of their own zone, right? Right?

Renny's done it before with NYI, so presumably the issue isn't coaching or system.

177. RiversQ says:

Well hopefully the Oilers spread the plague to the EC.

If you're going to suck this hard, at least be contagious.

178. kris says:

Spoiler,

Yup. That's the problem.

The coaches need more vets at D and forward though to defend better.

179. kris says:

Penner smushed Roli when he fell on him and he couldn't breathe.

180. Traktor says:

"If you're going to suck this hard, at least be contagious."

Penner needs to be careful not to catch the hand flu.

181. T. says:

Bob and Rod seem cranky all around tonight…

182. Bruce says:

Stauffer: C'mon man, you;ve got to be better than that.

Phillips: That's just a blown call … I odn't know what the player's supposed to do. Penner was three feet outside the blue ice and the guy crosschecked him down. You have to be entitled to your piece of the ice.

Bruce: Fucking aye. Give it to those fuckin' zebras.

(And yes it was a Brutal call.)

183. Bruce says:

Flu.
    Concussions.
    Zebras.

Strike Three.

Which reminds me, isn't the Series on? The hell with this.

184. geowal says:

Stauffer saying that Garth Snow pulled Okposo out of college because they were developing him too slow.

Snow must have quite the power of persuasion. Prendergast would be envious

185. RiversQ says:

Kind of a lazy play and then backcheck from Penner there before the penalty. I thought hehad worked that crap out of his game. Nice rush before that though.

186. PDO says:

Isle's have their 4th PP.

Oilers? 0.

Despite two dirty hits by Sutton and Penner being cross checked onto the 'tender from 5 feet outside the crease.

Sweet.

187. spOILer says:

Penner's man was the trailer no? Looked right to me.

Wonder if we'll ever get a powerplay we can call our own.

188. Traktor says:

Passive pansies don't often generate PP's.

189. geowal says:

Which reminds me, isn't the Series on? The hell with this.

Go team that isn't the Yankees!

190. PDO says:

5 high sticked in front of the net.

No call.

Streit is channeling Risto Siltanen tonight.

geowal: Let's be fair. The Yankees made it all this way with salaries under 1 billion. Credit where due.

193. RiversQ says:

Spoiler: yeah once they crossed the blueline but if he wanted the puck he could've gone after it in the neutral zone. Plus he was soft to lose it high on the boards too. He wasn't doing these things a couple of weeks ago.

194. Ribs says:

Why are our breakouts so freaking horrendous?

195. RiversQ says:

You guys are totally dreaming if you think the referees are costing the Oilers tonight.

The complaint about JFJ's instigator really cracks me up. Just exactly what the fuck was he doing skating over there like that? Enough with the homer crap.

196. Traktor says:

What day is it of trade watch?

197. Bruce says:

Team That Isn't The Yankees 5, Yankees 1

A.J. Burnett already out of the game, sittin' on the bench lookin' pissed right off

At least something's going right.

198. kris says:

Penner with 6 shots.

Rest of team is at about 14.

He didn't back check on that goal well enough, but hard to say he had a bad game. Compared to the rest of the team.

199. לימור says: