Peckham Sent Down

Word tonight that the Edmonton Oilers have sent out Theo Peckham. He’ll join the Springfield Falcons and won’t make the trip west with the big club. Peckham didn’t play well during this callup, owing to a pre-season injury and no training camp. Not to overstate the issue, but the Oilers have a tremendous number of young defensemen coming through the system and this would have been a very good time for Peckham to establish himself at the NHL level.

That slot has been earned by Taylor Chorney this fall; next training camp it will be Chorney was has established himself with this team and this coach. Jeff Petry will turn pro, Alex Plante and Johan Motin will have one year’s experience at the pro level, and Pat Quinn will still be waiting to see Theo Peckham at his best.

I don’t think this season’s first two months will heavily impact Peckham’s career, but it gives us another example of how much injury impacts these young prospects and especially young defenders. It’s a very hazardous career.

15 Responses to "Peckham Sent Down"

1. doritogrande says:

Jeff Petry Might turn pro, I hope you mean. He's a Junior this year, and there's an equal chance he'll stay on for his Senior year.

And at this point, I think it might actually be good for the organization for him to stay amateur for another season. There isn't much depth on the amateur charts beyond Petry at this point due to our drafting. To mind, the only defensive prospects we have still in the amateur ranks are Petry, and the 09 draft class Kyle Bigos and Troy Hesketh.

That's it. Kinda shocking to me.

Down in Springfield (or Oklahoma if the plan is still to bring back the Roadrunners in a new market), we're still going to have to devote development time to Plante and Motin. I'd really prefer to develop a couple at a time.

If Petry turns pro 2011, he's in line to be the only guy on the development curve, meaning he has the greatest chance at developing at his own pace. Staying on for a Senior season worked pretty well for Tom Gilbert, didn't it?

2. Bar Qu says:

Everyday I work hard to ensure that my boys enjoy life, play hard and learn, but I will fight them if they want to go down the road to organised hockey. There is more than dumb luck that determines success, but not much more than that.

I hope Peckham goes down and kills everyone who crosses his blue. He should be a good cornerstone for the D in future years – or at least good insurance for making a trade of higher roster D.

That and I hope he makes up a dressing room stall for underperforming forwards who can't be traded for pucks.

dorito: I don't know. He's a month younger than Peckham so at some point you'd like to sign him to a pro contract. Petry will be 22 years old in a few weeks, if he waits another year the Oilers aren't going to have much time with him after entry contract.

He'll be UFA before you know it.

4. Schitzo says:

Not counting college kids you'd only be an amateur if you were drafted in 2008 or 2009, so it's not exactly a deep pipeline to begin with.

And Motin was a 2008 draft anyways, so unless you're mad he's made the jump to the AHL early, I'm not sure why the "amateur" pipeline is a concern.

5. Schitzo says:

Oh. I think I read your post too quickly. Were you complaining about the fact that an entire cluster of D-men turned pro at the same time?

[Chorney/Wild late, because of college, Plante and Peckham on time, Motin early?]

6. doritogrande says:

He'll be UFA before you know it.

We originally said that about Gilbert too.

Schitzo:

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. If Petry turns pro this offseason we're going to have the same clusterfuck we did with the big club for the 2007-08 season with Greene, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Smid, and Bergeron patrolling the blueline needing developmental time.

I just think it's poor management to expect to have all those kids in the line-up and think you have a shot at making the playoffs year in and year out.

Suck for a year or two, and come back like Philly and Colorado have done in the past.

7. Hockey Noob says:

Sorry LT,

I am always off topic. Shawn Horcoff took a big hit from Andy Sutton in tonight's game.

Robin Brownlee's speculating that Horcoff has a separated shoulder. Where would that put us if it's correct–the floor of the WC?

8. hunter1909 says:

I've got a cousin who used to play in the Western Hockey league. 6'3" tall defenceman, really good pedigree(his dad was a professional athlete)…drafted first or second in the bantam draft…

Then he gets concussed, plus another injury or two. End of career. All washed up, while still a teenager.

It's probably why prospects not named Crosby aren't really worth much bother.

9. knighttown says:

I dunno LT. It sounds like the season has ended in your post. We got to number 9 on the depth chart before the calendar turned once. Peckham just needs to go back down and do what he do in Springfield for a few weeks and ensure Dean Arsene doesn't slide past him on the depth chart. Smid will get SARS, Lubo will catch Pouliot's priapism and TheworstplayerinNHL (TM Bruce) will zing the puck into Souray's eye socket on one of his patented spin-around shots…while Souray is standing at his point position.

In other words, he has to do the exact opposite of Rob Schremp who took the compliments he was given upon his fall demotion, and turned around and said fuck you to the management by getting passed on the depth chart by everyone not named Ryan O'Marra.

Something tells me Peckham less douchie than that.

10. HBomb says:

Ok, so Souray's out, and now Horcoff?

Get ready for an onslaught of "this will be just like the last quarter of 07-08, the kids will be allowed to shine without the veterans holding them back" commentary (without any mention of how, statistically, said run was an unsustainable cosmic fluke).

What Brownlee is speculating worries me greatly – in 08, at least we had Reasoner and Stoll to win faceoffs in 10's absence. Now?

11. Bruce says:

HBomb: No shit. Stoll (-23) and Reasoner (-17) both took a pounding in their tough minutes assignments, but they were better options than what we got now. There really is no Plan B — Brodziak is in Minnesota (dammit), Pouliot on LTIR, and even when Mike Comrie can breathe normally he is a very long way from a 1C or a defensive stalwart. The other centres (Gagner, Cogliano, Brule) are all young and have serious questions about respective their defensive games. Our depth is such that Zack Stortini has been playing some centre of late, and much as I like Zorg I don't see him as a shutdown centre anytime soon to say the least.

Man, this season is going south in a cloud of dust.

12. Bruce says:

Of course we shouldn't blame management … who could have anticipated the Oilers might have issues at pivot?

FFS

13. לימור says:

FFS?

14. Bruce says:

Ferfuxsakes

15. Blue says:

Couldn't Petry be a free agent this year, if he declares pro and the Oilers decline to sign him. I believe this happened last year with Blake Wheeler (?). This is the 4th year after he was drafted.