Right-on-Reddox

I’m a fan of Liam Reddox. Buddy was drafted 112th in the Ovechkin draft and climbed the ladder one rung at a time.

The week he was drafted I wrote about all of the Oilers 2004 draftees. Here’s a rundown on Reddox from June 27, 2004:

Reddox is right off the screen for an Oiler draft pick. Great pains were made to suggest he’s 5.10 instead of 5.09 but I don’t really see the difference based on his style of play. His foot speed has been described as “average” which considering his size means he’s the equivalent of “dead in the water” as a prospect. The scouting reports I’ve read have him getting outmuscled often.

Why did they draft him? Because he has soft hands, he’s a pure scorer. 31 goals in his rookie season in the OHL. He could turn into Michael Henrich, or he could be something better. Stands out as possibly the most unusual of KP’s drafts, and imo that means they love the guy.

Redline (which we saw later) suggested he was an agitator extraordinaire. Industrial strength abrasive. Plays like a pit bull–locks on and won’t let go.

Reddox didn’t make the team this fall, in fact there was a chance he wouldn’t be in the organization at all (remember the two-way deal?). But credit where due, he hung in there and found a way. Liam Reddox has enough talent and desire to find his way into the show, and enough smarts to know that when given the chance to play in the NHL you sure as hell better get noticed. Some of those first rounders might want to take notes.

69 Responses to "Right-on-Reddox"

1. hunter1909 says:

An agitator with soft hands?

Named Liam!?

He's going to stick around.

2. Unleaded says:

With SMac headed somewhere else, it's really hard to get a feel for where all the bubble boys are right now with this club. Most of us are aware of Moreau's declining utility with this Coaching staff, and the way Potulny, Redox, Pisani, and others played in the last game, there will likely be some interesting choices to be made with this roster in the not-too-distant future.

There are obviously players who are locks right now in the org (barring trades), but with more players needing to be exposed to the wire in the next few weeks, it really leaves me wondering who will be tossed to the wolves.

3. hunter1909 says:

I think we can start with waiving Nilsson.

Last night he narrowly avoided actually having to go into a near corner situation, by performing what can only be described as a ballet pirouette.

4. Peter says:

I like Reddox. He played well most of last year, though I shuddered along with everyone else when he was put on the 1st line. I think he's an ideal third liner – he can skate, has decent hands, and he's smart. He can kill penalties, he hustles every shift, and he can put a couple of pucks in the net. I bet you he scores 15 one year. Like all our other forwards, he doesn't have size, but he's definitely useful.

Players to leave in this order:
    1-MacIntyre – now
    2-Nilsson – once the forwards are healthy
    3-Moreau – trade deadline or sooner
    4-Comrie – trade deadline
    5-Pisani – trade deadline?

5. FlamingPavelBure says:

Smac can be sent down, as he would still suck as an ECHL'er.

As for the Reddox and Potulny extravaganza.

IT'S ONE GAME.

If we acted based on one game last year, we would have waived half of the team for Robbie Schremp.

6. Hockey Noob says:

Nilsson's reportedly suffering from a ?concussion now while Chorney has a sprained ankle. 2 more guys injured, wow!

fpv: Quite right, we need to remember it's one game and that Rob Schremp's fizzle last year after his first two games is more the norm for these guys.

8. Steve says:

Well, with Reddox we have a larger sample size. I think that sample size shows us that he's fine as a part-time fourth liner (and good for him for that – that's a hell of a lot better than anybody had a right to expect of him on draft day) but probably isn't going to be a major part of a team's success.

9. Coach pb9617 says:

If it's physicality you're looking for, there's at least one guy that you need to oust prior to Robert.

Player H/15
    S. GAGNER 0.466
    S. HORCOFF 0.419
    A. HEMSKY 0.206
    S. MACINTYRE 0.000
    R. POTULNY 0.000

10. Hockey Noob says:

Moreau's between Nilsson and O'Sullivan? I guess Moreau's numbers would look better if they added in offensive zone high-sticking penalties.

11. Black Dog says:

Once again these guys don't spring from junior fully formed. I find it interesting that in some opinions Reddox will never be more than a part time scrub based on the work he put in last season. He was a raw rookie playing in the best league in the world.

Now he may never amount to anything, sure, but I would bet that the guy has a career. He looked fine last night. He can play. And just as we discussed with McDonald the other day he has a skill set that most of the other kids do not.

12. mjsh says:

aha. we got a new post

The biggest reason I like RedOx is because he plays like he gives a shit.

Doesn't take a shift off, skates hard everywhere, takes the body.

OTC had some nice words for him and Potulny after the game as well.

Its nice to see OTC win the SMac battle with whoever he was fighting in management. If OTC had full roster control SMac would have been cut at camp.

Some interesting BTN numbers I was perusing today:

1) There are 4 Oiler forwards with a 5v5 +/- over 0, and 3 at 0

27 +2.73 – Obvious
    83 +1.44 – Obvious
    46 +0.38 – Bruce is correct in all things Zorg
    13 +0.30 – Surprised the crap out of me

89 – 0
    18 – 0
    67 – 0

For all intents and purposes lines 1 & 4 are keeping the head up and 2 & 3 are having a tough time.

During the opening winning streak line 1 was at evens and the other 3 lines were above water.

2) Patio Lantern is the 10th rated Forward in the NHL on the PP with 11.98 GFON/60. (Selected for Forwards who have played at least 5 games and play at least 2min/60 on the PP)

Maybe it has something with him playing the point. To my eye I hated him on PP1. Shows what I know.

3) Dustin Penner is the 4th rated Forward on the PK in NHL. His 2.98 GAON/60 is good for fourth among Forwards who have played at least 5 games and play 2 min/60 on the PK)

Wow. Remember when MacT put him on the PK "to get his legs going" and everyone wanted to lynch him?

His PK #'s are gaudy Oiler-wise too. The nearest forward with 5gm and 2m/60 is Patio Lantern with 6.64 GAON/60.

So among Oiler forwards 27 is first among PK'ers and 2nd among PP'ers.

Patio is first among PP'ers and 2nd among PK'ers.

There some numbers you can hang you hat one.

If Patio can get his 5v5 up he's a triple crown type threat.

14. pboy says:

The biggest reason I like RedOx is because he plays like he gives a shit.

Doesn't take a shift off, skates hard everywhere, takes the body.

That's spot on. The kid gives a shit and it's noticeable.

I think the uproar was not because he was being used on the PK but because he wasn't be used on the PP.

15. SK Oiler Fan says:

"You don't have to be big to disrupt a play with your body, you just have to get it in the way of what the other team is doing."

Bang on Woodguy. Pretty good definition of checking in the NHL. Reddox was doing exactly this last night.

He might not be a fast skater, but he looks quick laterally in tight spaces. Protects the puck well to.

He does look like he gives a shit out there, unlike the guy with the C.

16. Jon says:

FPV: RE Reddox VS Moreau and the future of Nillson

To start,

IT IS NOT ONE GAME

Reddox played last year and showed his "crust" through 40 some games. He then experienced the "Toby Peterson" Phenomena, whereby some fans associate him with a questionable coaching move. I believe we have seen enough of Reddox, Jaques, and Stone to make Moreau expendable. We have seen enough to know that the cap space provided by moving Moreau and replacing him on the 4th line with a Reddox or a Jaques far outweighs the small benefit the captain has in skill over his young colleagues.

The other player to get rid of when everyone is healthy is Rowbert. Nillson is a very skilled forward but does not play with much aggression. Sadly, the hit stat is so unreliable that it's validity comes into question. But one thing we can take to the bank is that his skill set is replicated by Gagner, Hemsky, POS, Comrie and to some extent, Cogs. Nillson will not be passed by Reddox but has already been passed by Gagner, et al., and it would be beneficial to spend his 2 million elsewhere.

If there is a deal to make that will make the club better but involves cap space. Then I take what I've seen from Reddox Jaques and Stone and replace Moreau and Nillson.

My 2 cents

17. FlamingPavelBure says:

RE: Jon

Well as for Reddox yes, he has awful stats this year (With a better team to work with). And sadly in Hockey world, things change fast.

But yeah, Moreau's still a fucking tool, i mean, he constantly shoots himself in the foot.

But right now can't we just:

+Reddox
    +Potulny
    -Macintyre
    -Moreau

And wait for Nilsson, he got an assist last night, and as stupid as it may sound, may be enough to sparkle him up.

No need to say this team could use a Nilsson using his potential.

18. Steve says:

It was also the rationale for playing him on the PK; some of us adhered to the old fashioned belief that your PK units should be dictated by players' penalty killing abilities, rather than by who was or wasn't moving his feet at EV.

19. Black Dog says:

Plus Penner was fat.

And MacT lost the room.

That GD MacTavish. He's STILL ruining this team from his secret hideaway in the Pacific.

21. Steve says:

I'm not a MacTavish hater; by the time I determined firing him was the right move, it was far more in sorrow than in anger. But he made some weird calls, last year especially – likely as a result of, by his own admission, having lost confidence in the team – and Penner and Reddox were two of the players who most exemplified this.

Steve: Yeah, I agree it was time for him to go. Having said that, it makes Tambellini/Lowe the next men up for the hanging judge.

Or at least it should.

23. Steve says:

I agree. Unless it was MacTavish's fault that the team lacked a second veteran centre and veteran secondary scoring (and a stable of NHL-calibre defensemen before that), MacTavish did not ruin the team, no matter how weird his ice time decisions.

24. pboy says:

No argument there. It was time for MacT to go, it's well past Kevin Lowe's expiration date and if Tambo doesn't start improving this team quickly, he's going to get "Nonis'ed".

25. Kelso says:

Gentlemen,
    Can we, for the love of the Baby Jesus and all things Holy, not stoop to the level of hockey players everywhere with these ridiculous nicknames?

We give grief for the 'no-thought' nicknames given throughout the roster… Gags, Cogs, Grebs. But when hockey players actually go off the board and give a player an original, even witty nickname such as Powder (Reddox), we fall into the trap of stupid. Kevin Quinn decides that Reddox should be Red Ox (the originality astounds), we fall into the lowest common denominator and go with it. Egads, Magnum!

Having said that, (slightly buzzed, I might add) I still vote for Penner's new nickname to be Stunner. Not only for how we've reacted, but because it sound like something that would eff you up! (which he's done to most opposing teams since opening night)

Cheers!

26. kris says:

Penner is the Big P.

Book it.

The problem is that no man is going to call another man "The Big Stunner."

28. Kelso says:

Agreed, LT. But I think that Stunner implies big, doesn't it?

29. kris says:

Nilsson's problem is not sparkles.

It's goals against -he's worst among all our forwards at 5.47 goals against/60- and shots against -he's the worst amongst all regular forwards at 37.4 shots against/60.

Nilsson is KHL material at this point, no?

I mean, is there something in his numbers or his play that I'm missing?

30. Gerta Rauss says:

Souray,Quinn off day

Chorney ankle
    Nilsson concussion
    Smid flu(still)

31. Gerta Rauss says:

Quinn audio

talkin' Smac and Hemsky

32. Dennis says:

It's just one game so let's all take a seat and then we'll see just how long he sticks around.

Now, yeah, I know he played a bunch of games last year and I certainly think he could be an everyday player who brings some energy on the PK.

Beyond that, who can really say.

I think he incurred a lot of hate last year because MacT put so much trust in him but on the flipside, he's always gonna be a guy who's mostly easy to like because he's got a lot of energy. Now, 18 used to be like that too but it didn't mean he was all that useful.

Overall, 85's got a few things going for him and I think he could be useful but we've got a longjam up front and the Oil are either probably not interested in moving or shelving pacts like those belonging to 12 or 18 or maybe there's simply no place to trade them.

33. kris says:

I think we should call Reddox "Mr. Isn't it Pretty Damn Weird that I Don't Have Eye Brows."

But I'm sparkled out of my head on booze and no sleep.

Excited to see Reddox and Potulny. If one of these guys, or Minard or Stone -when healthy- can play decent minutes well defensively, it's huge for the club. If we're not gonna move a smurf for an orc, it's neccessary, IMO.

34. kris says:

In an allusion to the Simpson's and FPB's slight misspelling of spark, can we call Nilsson "Mr. Sparkle"?

Please?

35. Gerta Rauss says:

that's the one with Homer's picture on the laundry detergent…yes?

Or at least it should.

Lowe should have driven MacT to the pacific bound plane with a ticket for the seat next to him.

Last year the Oilers were somewhere in the top 4 teams in the league for the number of man games played by players with less than 200 NHL games in experience.

That's gonna make most coaches crazy. Just didn't know how crazy until we saw it.

Its funny. I hear OTC say many things that MacT did. Except he says them in his awesomely folksy way.

More grit, more try, more team defense, etc.

I like OTC's style of play way more. I was thinking that if MacT made it to the last year of his contract I might not renew my season tickets. Last year was the most goddawful brand of hockey I ever had the mispleasure of watching.

My biggest beef with MacT was the blinders. 89 playing terribly but not missing a shift. 18 killing every rally with a stick foul in the offensive zone, and not missing a shift. 27 seeing the PB and no PP time even though all the numbers said he was the best choice. etc, etc.

OTC is calling it as he sees it, and that alone is worth the price of admission.

89 gets the shitty minutes until he proved otherwise. Then got the cherry minutes after he earned them.

We are finally seeing 18 get his ice cut back.

His PK time is starting to get cut back. His 11.58 GAON/60 4v5 is a team worst among forwards, but his ave PK ice has fallen below 2m for the first time in forever.

With 34 looking like 34 I can see a healthy Oilers team use 10,27,19,34,85,13 for the 3 sets of forwards on the PK. Assuming 85 sticks.

18's 5v5 TOI is averaging 10.85, 3rd least on the team. Only ahead of Stone and Zorg, and just behind Nilsson, whom OTC calls out on a regular basis.

OTC is calling it as he sees it, and he sees it like most of us see it.

Here's hoping that Tambellini has a plan when this team gets healthy.

Reddox is the gingerbread man. Didn't we agree on that last season?

38. bookie says:

The biggest reason I like RedOx is because he plays like he gives a shit.

Agreed, because he ALWAYS looks like he gives a shit instead of every third game, except Tuesdays, Fridays, and days with a waning or waxing moon like much of the rest of the team.

I totally agree LT. While I have spent a lot of time defending these guys (and still will), if things are not looking clear (and optimistic) later in the season then I agree that these guys are the ones to blame. I will give them most of the season however (though I would prefer if they made some adjustments sooner rather than later).

39. PunjabiOil says:

Anyone know how to figure how how many points Jordan Eberle has on the powerplay?

Apparently, there has been some concern expressed that Eberle, despite having 30 points in 15 games, is only +7 (which includes 3 short handed goals, meaning he's plus 4 five-on-five).

Better than Schremp? Absolutely. Still reason to curb that enthusiasm, no?

40. kris says:

Gerta,

"WHy am I Mr. Sparkle?"

41. Dennis says:

Kris: why is my face on a Japanese box?

WG: I think 18's TOI and role will be the litmus test for just how OTC will run this team. 18 looks to have no offense jam left and he's still taking O zone penalties and we may have enough guys as to preclude him from his old PK duties.

So, let's see how that goes.

Right now, the only non-OTC hill I would be willing to die on would be how 13's being used.

I don't think anyone really knows who's calling the shot on that one though. The Coach, The player, or The management.

Player has the least amount of say, but his preference for center is obvious.

I don't know the inner machinations on the day to day running of an NHL team, but there's enough signs to think that management makes their preference known to the coach as to which position each player should play.

OTC would obviously have final say at game time given injuries, how the team is playing etc, but the management preference is probably there.

43. Steve says:

The president of the Unofficial Igor Ulanov Fan Club tells me that she has it on excellent authority that Lowe decreed that Ulanov wouldn't play in the 2006 playoffs. Not that MacTavish necessarily disagreed, but management preference in those days was apparently significant.

44. Bruce says:

The biggest reason I like RedOx is because he plays like he gives a shit.
    Doesn't take a shift off, skates hard everywhere, takes the body.

Yup. I like Reddox for the same reasons I like Stortini, which is basically all of the above. Sizes and skill sets may vary, but the attitudes are wonderful. More of that on my team, please.

Btw, LT had a wonderful comment about Reddox a few threads ago that I meant to compliment him on, but didn't. He's a kid. He'll be better this year than he was last, and he'll be better again next year.

In the parts of the game I saw last night he looked pretty darn good. Nearly iced the game on a great solo effort midway through the third when he made a defensive play in his own zone, then broke away on a 2-on-1 and when the defenceman took the pass away Liam didn't force it but made a real nice play on the net forcing a fine save by Anderson. Later of course he did make the key play on Cogliano's goal that did put it away. Led the team with 4 hits, a couple shots, +1, a couple minutes of spotless PK duty. All told, an excellent night's work for a guy reportedly struggling in Springfield.

the hit stat is so unreliable that it's validity comes into question.

In the short term, it's absolutely unreliable. Buddy on the catwalk will count one and miss two. But over the course of the season the guys that play the body consistently always wind up near the top of the hit list for a given team. Or so it appears to me. Thus I put more stock in the hit count than most.

45. Bruce says:

Moreau's still a fucking tool

Last season Ethan Moreau won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy as "the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and who has made a significant humanitarian contribution to his community".

So how come nobody around here ever defends him?

46. PDO says:

Penner?

Stunner?

I feel 12 years old again…

47. PDO says:

So how come nobody around here ever defends him?

I'm sure a few have tried.

Problem is, they fell down 2 seconds in.

48. bookie says:

Wrestling for me ended when "in the meantime and in between time… and "Malfunction at the junction" were no longer the phrases of the day.

WWF just took it to a level that was too corny for my 13 year old brain to take…

49. bookie says:

So how come nobody around here ever defends him?

Last year I did because I felt that he deserved some slack on the penalties having come back from 2 years of injury (and new refereeing practices were in place) and because often enough he was making some things happen out there.

This year its pretty hard to defend the guy as a player (for his role and $$).

50. Bails says:

PunjabiOil: there is a way of determining Eberle's PP vs EV points but its a painful task of going through each game sheet…i might feel up for it since this IS my first post. Sorta like a pay your dues.

BTW, there is a poll on the WHL homepage asking who should be captain for the upcoming Super Series. Our boy, Eberle, is leading by a whopping 40%

51. Bruce says:

It was a rhetorical question.

This year its pretty hard to defend the guy as a player (for his role and $$).

Hard to defend, agreed. It's still a bit of a jump from him being an aging vet nearing the end of the line to being a "fucking tool".

52. Peter says:

MacIntyre on waivers – music to everyone's ears. Lets hope they send him straight to the CHL – central hockey league, or maybe the UHL (don't even know what that stands for). I don't think he's good enough for the ECHL.

Nilsson's concussion is the only thing keeping him on this roster much longer, assuming he goes on IR. If we ever get 15 healthy forwards, he's hitting waivers in a hurry.

It looks like Reddox will stick – what about Potulny? I've always liked him. If he can win a draw and play responsibly, there could be a spot for him.

53. kinger says:

Thank god Hemsky isn't playing tomorrow. The drag he's put on the PP in the last few years was so excellently quanitified by Bruce in the previous comment thread.

How many times do you think the PP will cash? 4, 5, 6!!! Sky is the limit without 83 telegraphing the play from the side boards.

54. bookie says:

Agreed, there is no evidence that the guy is a "fucking tool" and everythign that I have seen from him suggests that he is a pretty good guy. Really, whoever made that comment should probably look in the mirror next time they want to see a tool.

55. Steve says:

Nah – he seems like a good guy. Let's hope he gets picked up by another NHL team and continues to earn a six figure salary while taking up someone else's roster spot.

(I'm assuming that he's on a two-way contract.)

56. bookie says:

I bet my house, cat, kid, and wife on the Oilers scoring on at least 75% of their PP chances while Hemskanchor (see how I did that, I changed the last part of Hemsky's name to anchor – awesome) is out. The way I figure it, is that a sure case of beer is a sure case of beer!

57. bookie says:

anchor – cause he sinks the power play – get it – awsome!

58. Bails says:

The tally on Eberle's points;
    EV – 10pts
    PP – 17pts
    SH – 3pts

59. kinger says:

bookie I think I get it!!!!

LIKE A BOAT RIGHT??!@?!

60. Black Gold says:

nice work bails.
    nice discouraging work.

61. hunter1909 says:

coach: Please, take your stats and go sit down. We're not talking GIVING hits, we're talking about the COURAGE to TAKE one. Nilsson plays hockey like a girl.

Skating tentatively near but always around the perimeter of the hard areas. Never going into a dirty corner. Terrified looking body language out there.

The dude is a pansy. He should be starring in the AHL, or Sweden. He's simply not an NHL player.

Every single one of the other players on that silly list, including Comrie, are willing able and all that jazz to take a hit on occasion.

62. quain says:

So how come nobody around here ever defends him?

In fairness, I took a few shots at it over the summer with the best I could do being 'if he stops taking so many penalties and we ignore the price tag he's not a complete drain on the roster because we lack two way forwards.' He proceeded to thank me by losing what was left of his hockey talent. So, I'm not really sure what's left to defend.

At least he doesn't beat children!

63. quain says:

nice work bails.
    nice discouraging work.

Not too discouraging. He's still on pace for 43 ESP… I can't tell you what a good comparable would be a Draft Year + 1 forward in the WHL, but draft year Wolski in the OHL was good for 38 ESP (best by a far for that group of kids, Schremp was at 25). It's hard to say if it's a good thing or a bad thing unless we see the type of competition he was facing, and what sort of ES ice time he's seeing. Until we see that, about all we can do is say 'well, at least he's scoring!'

Eberle is also on a pretty shitty team.

65. FlamingPavelBure says:

A captain that at times, publicly blames the slump on a part of the team, taking useless penalties that have no link with the play going on in the offensive zone, is somewhat a tool.

I'm not judging Ethan Moreau the person, (Outside of rink and all).

I'm juding thecaptainethanmoreau as the thecaptainethanmoreau.

66. Alice says:

Let me understand this,

Monster Jr. numbers mean jack shit because the game that brings it doesn't necessarily translate to the bigs.

But we're going to wring our hands because Eberle might Only be able to score in PP, EV and PK situations.
    In Jr., where we don't think it means a ton anyhow.

Now I'm not as well Prozac'd as our friend bookie, but seriously people, I'm going to see the glass Way Half Full there until something blows it up. Are we in a race to say I was the first one who called him to bust, or what?

67. Bruce says:

Kinger: That's it exactly, that is just what I said.

68. spOILer says:

In defense of Moreau (!) (!!)…

OTC has trusted him with last 5 minutes of game time in virtually every game with a lead, and some without the lead.

He scored 20 goals last year.

Oh yeah, and what Bruce said, King Clancy.

That's all I have to say for now.

69. the 0 in 0rca is for 0 cups says:

i say jdd o'utplays pascal.

o'sully and o'marra vs. o'ttawa?

2-2(i ho'pe)

co'mrie in the sho'o'to'ut!