There was a flood of information yesterday with regard to the Oilers. The Edmonton Sun emptied their inkjet and the Journal did some things too. Bruce Garrioch from Ottawa and Gene Principe chimed in as well; in fact, it was Principe’s item that included the line “I would consider eastern teams.”
That puts the Oilers in a pretty good position in regard to dealing Souray now. Because clubs are looking to make moves early (or that’s what we’re told) this year a two or three team bidding war could produce some quality.
When Kevin Lowe was General Manager there were a couple of eastern teams he liked to do business with (Boston, Rangers, Islanders) and I think there’s a couple in the mix this time around.
- Anaheim: Ducks have enough cap room this season for Souray and Niedermayer coming off the books in the summer. I have no idea what might come back, but JS Giguere and his $6M contract are apparently available. Just saying, and you must know the Oilers need another goalie. Right?
- Boston: No cap room at all, Oilers would need to take on a big contract. One way they could get it done would be to acquire Derek Morris ($3.3M) and Blake Wheeler for Souray and Cogliano. I’m not saying this is a deal either side would do, but the money works (or at least it’s closer).
- Colorado: Avs have room and may have a need. Colorado has a lot of inexpensive pieces and the Oilers could use one or two of them.
- Dallas: Stars have room and a need, with the Oilers able to satisfy the other side with good pieces if they choose. Some have suggested Ott or Benn, but that seems like a big item to give up for a team looking to do something in the second season.
- Los Angeles: Lots of room and a need plus (reportedly) some interest. Los Angeles has a laundry list of young talent to trade, Oilers would have to consider the Kings to be “close to perfect” in terms of a match.
- New Jersey: Devils don’t have a ton of cap room but I think they could take on Souray. Devils are also running thin up front (they played Ben Walter in a game the other day) so this might be a larger deal. Just glancing at the roster, is this Mark Fraser guy any good?
- NY Rangers: Sather has enough for a fishing rod and boots, but if the Oilers are willing to take on a Denver boot salary then there’s a deal to be made. Rangers have some nice things.
- Phoenix: This is a pretty good idea providing they actually need him. Coyotes have a good young player at every position and the Oilers might be able to grab a couple. Phoenix could use the good news.