In fairness I should use the entire quote, courtesy Dan Tencer’s twitter. “We didn’t even challenge their goaltender in the 2nd period. We weren’t even in their end. That’s the sign of a dumb team.”
Beauty, Pat. I suspect you’ll be in MacT territory with the verbal by Valentine’s Day. Try not to mention names, though. Maybe take Dennis’ cue and just give numbers, or positions. “Our center with a high number is a titmouse, he thinks the game like Betty Kennedy!” and that kind of thing. Less personal that way.
Tighten the onion belt, Pat. You’re in San Jose to play the Sharks, only nowadays they’re a powerhouse and you’re coaching the Oakland Seals.
It turns out that Dany Heatley did this team a favor by turning down Edmonton. Dustin Penner, Ladislav Smid and Andrew Cogliano are still here, with Penner and Smid enjoying quality seasons and Cogliano becoming less expensive every day.
Among other items of interest:
- Eberle leads the WJC’s in scoring and MPS is tied for 2nd.
- Russia plays Switzerland today, with the winner playing Canada tomorrow afternoon.
- USA plays Finland today, with the winner playing Sweden tomorrow.
- Devan Dubnyk has been sent to Springfield to save the Falcons. The Oilers AHL team has lost 17 in a row, has 3 forwards with over 15 points and is ending the North American pro careers for a stunning number of Oiler prospects. I can imagine what the headlines in the local papers: “more depressing than Sophie’s Choice!” and “Falcons management has decided to hold the 50/50 draw in the middle of the 1st period since everyone leaves after 20 anyway.”
- Should we pick a second team to cheer for? We did this last season and have a couple of times during the Oilers “drive to the playoffs.” Columbus is always popular, but what about St. Louis? Minnesota? Let me know.
- If the Oilers continue to play poorly, I’ll probably start the draft stuff about mid-January. Is that too soon?