Slowly but surely Tyler Seguin appears to be edging ahead of Taylor Hall in the race for #1 at the summer entry draft. This is early to be looking this closely at the June draft but what the hell else are we going to do at this time of year?
Comparing the two in regard to their Desjardins’ NHLE’s offers us a look at just how close they are in the overall race. Placing them beside some recent top picks over the last few years perhaps fuels our collective enthusiasm about any immediate impact these two kids will have at the NHL level (per 82gp).
- Patrick Kane (06-07) 26-36-62
- Sam Gagner (06-07) 16-39-55
- John Taveras (08-09) 25-21-46
- Taylor Hall (09-10) 16-27-43
- Steven Stamkos (07-08) 23-19-42
- Tyler Seguin (09-10) 20-22-42
- Evander Kane (08-09) 19-20-39
- Josh Bailey (07-08) 11-24-35
I don’t know that the Oilers can go wrong with either player but it is also clear (based on Desjardins number) that there is a third player who should be in the mix at the top: Mikael Granlund (11-32-43) of the Finnish SM-Liiga. My money is on the name “Hall” being called by Stu (Magnificent Bastard) MacGregor at the entry draft.