Ethan Moreau is extremely unlikely to return with the Edmonton Oilers next season. When the General Manager tells everyone his goal in life is to change the culture of the organization, I can’t imagine an outcome that allows Ethan rifles to skate in copper and blue again.
- Boxcars: 76gp, 9-9-18
- Shots: 143
- Plus Minus: -18
- Corsi (Rel): -15.9 (13th among F’s)
- GF/GA ON: 23-44
- 5×5/60: 0.86 (13th among F’s)
- 5×4/60: 3.75 (5th among F’s)
- Quality of Competition: 2nd toughest among F’s
- Quality of Teammates: 8th best among F’s
- FO %: 41.2% in 17 FO’s
- Offensive Zone Start FO %: 45.3% (toughest among F’s)
- Cap Hit: $2,000,000
- What do these numbers tell us? Well he struggled but (along with Horcoff and Pisani) faced the tough music and Moreau stood alone with the worst zone start (Hemsky’s ZS’s were worse but he didn’t play enough games to qualify). Moreau didn’t perform well at all and he may indeed be done. But I do think you can make a case that all of these guys have been tarred with the same brush and the fact is that no one looks good in a season this bad (except for Penner, giving us an idea about just how incredible he was this season).
- How could these numbers be better? If the Oilers could have placed him in a less challenging spot maybe things would have been different. In fairness, they did try (if I recall correctly) with JFJ and Stone both playing on more prominent lines than Moreau. In the end it didn’t work out.
- What about that eye injury? I’ve maintained that Moreau hasn’t been the same player since that very scary eye injury in 08-09. He still has good straightaway speed but the man has suffered some injuries (leg, shoulder) over the years and the aging process is also taking a toll.
- Will he be back? I don’t think so. Tambellini appears to be ridding himself of all old timey things, and Moreau dates back to 1999 with this club. They may trade him, buy him out and it is also possible that they send him to AAA.
- What about all those crazy quotes? At some point this season Moreau seems to have gone “opposite George” in regard to being captain of a hockey team. His quotes to the media have bordered on treason, or at least subterfuge. One day they’ll have classes devoted to the 2009-10 Ethan Moreau quotes. They were truly astounding.
- How important is Moreau to the organization? Important enough to be treated with respect right up to and including the period when the firing squad does its business.
- 07-08 5×5 per 60m: 1.21
- 08-09 5×5 per 60m: 1.50
- 09-10 5×5 per 60m: 0.86
Predictions Past 2009-10: 65gp, 12-11-23 (.354)
Performance in 2009-10: 76gp, 9-9-18 (237)