Zack Stortini brings less natural talent to the NHL game than any Oiler forward not named JFJ, but he is far from the worst performer. Stortini’s scoring rates aren’t any screaming hell, but the effort is there and his willingness to fight stands out on a team with a myriad of forwards ill-suited to the task. When Stortini is on the ice not a lot happens (relatively speaking) and that my friends is a very good thing.
- Boxcars: 77gp, 4-9-13
- Shots: 46
- Plus Minus: +3
- Corsi (Rel): -6.7 (10th among F’s)
- GF/GA ON: 27-24
- 5×5/60: 1.04 (11th among F’s)
- 5×4/60: 3.75 (5th among F’s)
- Quality of Competition: 14th toughest among F’s
- Quality of Teammates: 12th best among F’s
- FO %: 47.5% in 183 FO’s
- Offensive Zone Start FO %: 46.6% (5th toughest among F’s)
- Cap Hit: $700,000
- What do these numbers tell us? He was +3 on a team that was minus a zillion. Yes, he was facing the dregs but he did it with matching dregs and his zone start was tough. His Corsi was very reasonable and although Stortini didn’t deliver much offensively he wasn’t placed in that role either.
- How could these numbers be better? I don’t think you can ask for much more from this player. We used to joke about his unwillingness to fight but the guy took on tall trees all year long and battled. He plays 9 minutes a night (all at EVs) and he earned his pay again this season.
- Can he expand his role? I don’t think there’ll be much available to him in terms of moving up the depth chart. He might grow into a PK role but quickness is a big issue there.
- Will the Oilers trade him? If a team came calling and overpaid the Oilers might take a look, but he (from all reports) is a solid citizen and the Oilers don’t have a lot of guys doing his job.
- What if the club brings in a heavyweight? Well it might reduce his fighting role but those guys can’t really play. Stortini has proven himself capable in a defined role.
- How important is Stortini to this team? He’s valuable in that Stortini is one of a very few Oilers who does his job at a decent cap hit. He’s also pretty healthy and seems to be content in his role. The Oilers have fires all over, there doesn’t seem to be a huge need in this area (4line role player, middle heavyweight).
- 07-08 5×5 per 60m: 1.24
- 08-09 5×5 per 60m: 1.76
- 09-10 5×5 per 60m: 1.04
Predictions Past 2009-10: 70gp, 6-10-16 (.229)
Performance in 2009-10: 77gp, 4-9-13 (.169)