One thing all Oilers fans have in common: eventually seeing their favorite players in another uniform. From Blair MacDonald through Coffey through 99 through Messier and on to Tikkanen, Kurri and later Weight, Smyth…and soon?
I don’t think there’s very many of the current bunch that the Oilers would refuse to lose. Dustin Penner might be the only guy on the completely restricted list, altough one hopes players like Hemsky, Gagner, Gilbert and Whitney are close to unavailable (the Oilers need their good players).
On a parallel track, the kids who could be close (Hall/Seguin, MPS, Eberle, McGuinn, Clark & Hillman) have to be factored in, plus (unless I’m wrong) there is probably a list of value free agents for Edmonton and Okla City in the mix.
We’ll know in the next four weeks. Here are some questions to ponder.
- Is Pat Quinn the man to coach a period of transition?
- What of Nikolai Khabibulin and his future?
- Will they get anything for Sheldon Souray?
- Hall-Seguin? Seguin-Hall?
- JDD-DD? DD-JDD?
- How many rugged wingers can they grab?
- Which of the many minute men are heading out of town?
- The team photo requires more blue. Right?
- Can they acquire enough quality to pair Gagner with Penner for an entire year?
- Are the Oilers going to acquire a 2nd pick in the first round in order to acquire someone like Dylan McIlrath?