This is going to be a fun training camp. This week we’ll get the list of players who will make up the TC list (I’d expect about 50 names but you never know). By next week the Oilers will begin sending out the juniors and the guys who didn’t expect to challenge for jobs. By the final week of this month we’ll be talking about waiver worries and the big surprises. Here’s this season’s guesses:
- The Oilers will start the season with 6 rookies. I’ll even supply the names: Theo Peckham, Taylor Hall, Magnus Pääjärvi, Jordan Eberle, Linus Omark, Ryan O’Marra.
- The Oilers will trade Sheldon Souray before opening night. My guess is the Rangers, but there are other teams badly in need of help on defense too. A western option? Dallas. Either way, the Oilers will get a bad contract in return.
- The Oilers will invite at least one surprise name to training camp. My guess? Former Oiler draft pick Doug Lynch.
- Opening night D pairings will shock you. Whitney, Gilbert, Smid, Vandermeer, Foster and ????? with Peckham in the press box.
- The last name cut before opening night? Jeff Deslauriers.
- Jason Strudwick will retire at the end of training camp, taking on a coaching role.
- Tom Renney will drive many Oiler fans crazy with his systems and emphasis on disciplined play.