Edmonton Oiler fans can look forward to several years of watching gifted young hockey players emerge before their eyes. The Ottawa Senators fanbase had the same thrill years ago, as names like Marian Hossa, Martin Havlat, Wade Redden, Chris Phillips, Zdeno Chara, Jason Spezza and others came through town in a 5-year window that must have been breathtaking.
The current roster has a lot of nice things and is built to have a playoff run. Currently, the Senators record (11-12-1) must be considered a disappointment based on expectations. The Oilers are a team already deep in the second division (6-12-4) and buying lottery tickets at a rapid rate.
It’s interesting to compare the two teams on display tonight by age:
- The 31+ group (Alfredsson, Kovalev, Gonchar, Ruutu, Kuba, Phillips, Neil)
- The 27-30 group (Spezza, Fisher, Kelly, Carkner, Hale, Leclaire, Winchester, Shannon)
- The 23-26 group (Michalek, Campoli, Regin, Elliot, Foligno, Lee)
- The 19-22 group (Karlsson, Smith, Lehner)
- The 31+ group (Horcoff, Khabibulin, Gerber, Strudwick)
- The 27-30 group (Hemsky, Whitney, Penner, Gilbert, Foster, Vandermeer, MacIntyre)
- The 23-26 group (Cogliano, Peckham, Brule, Smid, Dubnyk, Stortini, Jacques, Jones, Fraser, Belle)
- The 19-22 group (Gagner, Eberle, Pääjärvi, Hall)
My source for this is hockey-reference, so if there’s any weird ages listed it’s on them. Vandermeer is much younger than he plays, those injuries have taken his footspeed and I don’t recall he was fast as a youth. If you’re 31+ on the Oilers and NOT making a buh-zillion dollars you missed the lottery. That 27-30 group for the Oilers has some nice things, the 23-26 group looks overrated from here and the Oilers 19-22 group should own a big part of whatever currency they’ll use in the future.
The Senators on the other hand don’t have a lot in the 19-26 groups but there are some useful parts. If the 31+ group ages quickly (and there are signs of it) Jason Spezza is a prime trade candidate (for 5 assets).
The Oilers have been outscored 32-52 on the road (23-33 at home). Crazy season.