The Edmonton Oilers recalled Linus Omark and Liam Reddox today. I believe this might be the beginning of the end for JF Jacques as an Edmonton Oiler. Omark gets the call because Jordan Eberle will miss a few games due to injury (just a few though, Eberle is a superhero after all); Reddox gets the call because the Oilers have some real issues with their bottom 6 forward group.
Jacques can hammer, Reddox can play. The Ginger brings with his a strong resume filled with hard work and results.
- Reddox is tied for 2nd in AHL short handed goals (4).
- Reddox is tied for 2nd in AHL goals (18).
- Reddox is 10th in league scoring (37gp, 18-15-33).
- Reddox is tied for 9th in AHL plus minus (+14).
- Reddox is 3rd in AHL shots on goal (143).
Quotes (old and new)
- Kelly Buchberger: “Night in and night out, he’s been our Ryan Smyth. He goes to the net all the time. He’s used in every situation. Last year in Stockton (ECHL) he didn’t play a lot. He’s a surprise. Now it looks like he has a chance to make it. He’s our Ryan Smyth the way he works in practices and the games. I’ve been at the rink early and who walks in the door before eight, for a 10 o’clock practice? Liam– so he can start working out. He competes, plus he’s got skill, lots of skill. You know how Smytty drives to the net, burying that shoulder? Well, Liam does a lot of those little things, too. He’s made big strides in one year. I use him on the point on the power play and when we’re down five-on-three, he’s the forward I send out.”
- OKC coach Todd Nelson: “He’s a big part of our team. He does everything out there. He kills penalties, he’s on power plays, he creates a lot of scoring opportunities with his speed. He’s just a solid, all-around player. I don’t know if he’s the fastest (skater in the AHL) but he’s right up there. He’s got that ability, he’s got that extra gear where he can pull away from guys. There are a lot of fast guys in the NHL and there are a lot of fast guys in this league, but he’s in the upper echelon of quickness. He can skate, and that’s his biggest asset. He uses that to his advantage, and people can’t keep up with him.”
I think this will be an audition for Reddox. If he can help on the PK and in an energy role, it may mean JF Jacques is the player the Oilers risk waivers on when the next man needs to be farmed out.