The Edmonton Oilers are the NHL’s department of youth. At the NHL level there’s Taylor Hall and Magnus Pääjärvi are teenagers in the show, Jordan Eberle just 20. Sam Gagner is 15 months older than Eberle, Peckham and Petry were 22 as the season began.
At the AHL level, Teemu Hartikainen is 20 and looking better every day; Johan Motin, Milan Kytnar and Alex Plante are 21.
On the horizon? Another bushel of teenagers. The following players (by my calculation) could turn pro in the fall:
- F Tyler Pitlick, Medicine Hat Tigers
- D Martin Marincin, Prince George Cougars
- L Curtis Hamilton, Saskatoon Blades
- C Ryan Martindale, Ottawa 67′s
- D Brandon Davidson, Regina Pats
- F Kellen Jones, Quinnipiac University
- C Anton Lander, Timra
- R Cameron Abney, Edmonton Oil Kings
- F Toni Rajala, Ilves Tampere
- G Olivier Roy, Acadie Bathurst Titan
- F Robby Dee, Maine
That’s before the 2011 draft brings Larsson, Couturier, RNH or Landeskog. Question: if you’re a guy like Gilbert Brule at the NHL level or Philippe Cornet at the AHL level, do you sleep at night?
The Edmonton Oilers procurement department has morphed from a whisper to a scream. Stu MacGregor, you magnificent bastard.