Colin McDonald had a little luck, no doubt. Not every veteran AHL winger dubbed a checker gets a chance to line up with elite free agent veterans like Alex Giroux and Brad Moran.
Still, he’s delivered on his opportunity and done it in a big way. Entering this year, McDonald had played in 226 regular season games for the Oilers AHL teams, scoring 34 goals. This season, McDonald has played 78 games and popped 40 goals. The two quality linemates, more powerplay time and confidence have contributed to his success this year. Copper and Blue’s Lisa McRitchie did a terrific interview with him here.
Now, McDonald is a 26-year old will be looking for a contract this summer with an NHL portion on the deal (a 2-way contract similar to the one he had with the Oilers until this season). McDonald has done everything possible to get that contract and I expect he’ll get it. Whether or not the Oilers are the team he signs with is out there in the ether.
Some of these AHL kids are ripping it up lately. Here’s a look at the recent numbers:
- Alex Giroux 6gp, 3-7-10 +4
- Colin McDonald 6gp, 8-0-8 E
- Milan Kytnar 6gp, 5-3-8 +5
- Brad Moran 6gp, 1-7-8 +3
- Mark Arcobello 6gp, 3-4-7 +4
- Tanner House 4gp, 1-3-4 +4
- Philippe Cornet 6gp, 0-4-4 +3
- Kevin Mongtomery 5gp, 1-2-3 +9
Impressive items here. Kytnar is finishing very well as an AHL rookie, House has been very good since signing and Kevin Montgomery is proving to be an excellent acquisition. This has been a tremendous AHL season for the Oilers prospects, the best in memory.
Nation Radio is on again today at noon on Team 1260, your emails are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org any time this morning. Among the guests scheduled to appear:
- Terry Jones, from the Edmonton Sun. He wrote an interesting article Thursday about the arena situation. We’ll talk about that and more.
- James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail. Mirtle is a brilliant young writer who is running circles around mainstream media while still being able to talk advanced stats with aplomb.
- Bob Ridley, Medicine Hat Tigers play by play man since Christ was a kid.
- Gene Principe of Rogers Sportsnet. We’ll talk about how he sees this summer rolling out for the Oilers.
- Jim Byers, OKC play by play man (we’ll talk about the playoffs, I believe they need one more win to get in).
- Jason McKee, coach of the AJHL Spruce Grove Saints. We’ll talk about the big win against Camrose and the next challenge.
Hope you tune in.