David LeNeveu was a fairly famous goaltender a decade ago. He was a 2nd round pick in 2002 and was part of the 2003 Silver medal team at the World Juniors. Also in 2002-03, he won the Ken Dryden award and the ECAC player of the year award while playing for Cornell.
He also played in the NHL as recently as last season, on emergency recall to the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- You’re sure about this? I think it’s reasonable to expect an emergency recall of some sort, so it’s either LeNeveu or Tyler Bunz. They could recall Olivier Roy but my guess is he gets a full season in the minors.
- Is he any good? Not really. He hasn’t had a SP above .900 since 07-08, although he did play well in Salzburg for which there is no SP (that I can find).
- Has he been a successful goalie? I’d say he has been a decent AHL goaltender over the years. His first season at that level was 03-04 and he has played 273 games with a .908SP since then. He played only 4 AHL playoff games during his career.
- Under what circumstances do you believe he’ll be recalled? My guess is that Khabibulin gets hurt and that one of Dubnyk or Danis has a period of injury/ineffectiveness. These things happen and the Oilers have everything happen to them.
- Can we talk about the Oilers now? Sure.
- You have them sucking again. I have the Oilers scoring 223 goals and allowing 247. That’s a goal differential of -24 goals; that represents a massive improvement.
- How bad were they a year ago? Goal differential of -76.
- Wow, so they’ll be better? Yes, that’s my prediction.
- Where will they be better? Well, I have the Oilers improving in goals against by 22. I think most of the improvement there will come from Khabibulin’s flushing and improvement on the PK. Their 74 goals against on the PK can be improved by shunning the diamond, running Ryan Smyth, Shawn Horcoff, Eric Belanger and other veterans (like Sutton) out there. I am guessing the penalty kill will be one of the major areas of improvement.
- What about the offense? I think this team will be better at even strength. The powerplay should improve a few goals (they scored 44 a year ago, the league average was 52) but if coach Renney can find some chem between the C’s and the three sets of glory wingers (Smyth-Hemsky, Hall-Eberle, Paajarvi-Omark) then one of those lines should romp some nights. I think they’ll be better.
- Where will they finish? I’ll say 13th in the western conference, 27th overall.
- Damn, tough league. The 09-10 and 10-11 teams were awful, just deplorable. This one should improve by a lot and still be miles behind.