This is Gary Simmons. Crazy. The Seals had nothing so searched for talent everywhere and found Simmons playing in the Newfoundland Senior League. That league must have been underscouted because the Seals turned up a few players from that part of the world.
I could show you the connection between the Oakland Seals and San Jose Sharks but you’d have to pack a lunch and it would take all day. Suffice to say it involves the Gund family and a promise that took many years to deliver.
The Oilers mailed it in on the first game of the road trip and that probably means they’ll play their hearts out and lose in this game. It’s a process, and these kids will learn like the generations before them.
I’m beginning to wonder about Tom Renney’s future. Stu MacGregor has done his job, delivering shiny new hockey players two by two, and you could certainly argue that Steve Tambellini has procured some useful players too (Smyth, this year’s Khabibulin, others).
Tom Renney has done some good things this year too, and I imagine he’ll get an extension at some point. Still, as the season wears along and we endure the annual winter of our discontent I wonder what kind of report card the coach will get from this season.
The #1 overall picks are doing very well, Eberle is a machine and the veterans (for the most part) are doing well. The kids who were behind some of the veterans (Paajarvi behind Smyth, Omark behind Jones, Dubnyk behind Khabibulin) have lost their way somewhat and that could cost the coach. I don’t think there’s enough evidence to suggest Tom Renney is close to losing his job, but getting a long term deal also seems to be a distant bell. Perhaps a one year extension?
It’s a busy Nation Radio today on Team 1260 at noon.
- David Staples from the Cult of Hockey will talk to us about the difficulty the Oilers have been facing over the last few weeks.
- Kirk Luedeke from Redline Report will help us set the table for the WJ’s.
- Jim Byers from the OKC Barons will be on to talk about OKC and their outstanding run. We’ll also find out which players are carrying the mail.
- Cam Moon from the Red Deer Rebels will help us preview the world juniors and talk to us about 2012 draft prospect Matt Dumba.
- Bruce McCurdy will also chime in on the WJ’s and tell us about the Oil Kings too. Bruce always has an opinion on the Oilers and we’ll ask him about the Paajarvi demotion.
- Terry Jones will pop by to talk Oilers and we’ll talk about his HHOF experience.
emails welcome email@example.com and you can also check out twitter @ItsNationRadio or @Lowetide_ and ask a question or pass along a comment.