Los Angeles and Edmonton have been connected in hockey terms for a long, long time. Is there another transaction to come?
I was rather surprised Friday night and yesterday to read emails and posts that were extremely negative toward the Oilers and management. I understand being upset about this team’s “building by sundial” approach and agree that there are all kinds of things to scream about (relying on Ryan Whitney for one) but what about Friday night’s game surprised you?
In the G42 GDT I wrote There’s no way to disguise this thing. Oilers have stepped into the elevator shaft and there’s no help coming. It’ll be interesting to see how many games they win between tonight and the return of Gilbert, Eberle and RNH. I freely admit to not being the sharpest knife in the drawer among our loose group of Oiler posters and bloggers, but help me with the reasoning behind the outrage of yesterday.
Last game, Edmonton’s lineup boasted the following:
- Josh Green playing 12 minutes.
- Ryan O’Marra playing 12 minutes.
- Ben Eager playing 12 minutes.
- Anton Lander playing 13 minutes.
- Their 6 defensemen were Ladislav Smid, Jeff Petry, Andy Sutton, Corey Potter, Theo Peckham and Colten Teubert. Honest question: how many of those defensemen would have suited up last night for Calgary?
- can that Gagner-Hall-Hemsky line continue to create?
- Is Magnus gaining confidence/making plays?
- Are Smid, Potter and Petry good enough to help next season if married to Tom Gilbert and two actual NHL defensemen?
- Is Theo Peckham going to have any trade value?
- Is this kid Voynov worth a couple of months of Hemsky?
If you’re going to watch the Oilers this month don’t expect W’s. They’ve lost RNH, Eberle and Gilbert plus Ryan Whitney may be gone forever. What’s more, Cam Barker may be coming back. Tell me I’m crazy to frame the issue in the way it is presented here. Seriously.