G47 Flames at Oilers

Under the banners tonight, the Edmonton Oilers will face the Calgary Flames. In the arena that once gave us some of the most exciting hockey of our lifetime, the home team readies itself for their current routine: taking a knife to a gunfight.

I for one would like to give some credit to Tom Renney today. How he managed to curse all those St. Louis Blues sticks the other night is one for the ages. Along with the old Russian and some impressive penalty-killing, Edmonton managed to leave the home of the “gang that couldn’t shoot straight” with a one goal loss.

Oilers have been involved in a lot of those this season. In baseball, a poor record in one run games is often a “tell” of good things to come in the following season. Law of averages and all of that; however, in the Oilers case I’m not certain credit is really due them. This season is a lot about what happened when the kids got hurt and not much about how all of the 6′s and 7′s picked up their socks and worked like warriors to find a way.

The Oilers look beaten, tamed and humiliated. This period is an excellent test for Tom Renney and his coaching staff, getting a group of men who are outmanned ready for war cannot be an easy task.

The great thing about life is that there are other pursuits. This photo offers us some options, and I’m fairly certain you can come up with some bright ideas of your own. This blog is devoted to the Oilers, but also the celebration of the fairer (and some may say smarter) sex, the demon alcohol and its responsible use plus the time honored tradition of being asses to each other on the internet. Tonight might be a night to focus on our own personal scoring chances.

The Calgary Flames are a much better team than the Oilers and badly need points. They are motivated plus this is a HNIC game and that always seems to bring out something special. I am hopeful the Oilers can show well but also realistic about their chances.

I’m not sure if we should be hopeful or panic with this news: the Oilers are apparently one of the teams after defenseman Ryan Suter. I can’t imagine what would be required in return, but this is the type of Chris Pronger trade we had discussed in the past. I would hope RNH, Hall and Eberle would be excluded, but can bet that 2012 first rounder must be part of the package.

Nation Radio hits the airwaves today at Noon. The best questions are always yours, so please feel free to email nationradio@theteam1260 or leave your thoughts in the comments section here. You can also tweet @ItsNationRadio and @lowetide_ as well.

GUESTS

• Corey Pronman from Hockey Prospectus. Smart guy with a unique perspective, and we’ll discuss the 2012 draft, Oilers fans impatience with Tyler Pitlick, Curtis Hamilton and others from the 2009 & 2010 draft and focus on development differences between NHL organizations.
  • Kirk Luedeke from Redline Report. Kirk gives us a unique view of prospects and their progress, we’ll talk about Boston’s development template, some of the 2010 kids who have outperformed their draft position and injuries impacting the top end 2012 eligibles.
  • Ryan Lambert from Flames Nation and Two Line Pass. We’ll set up the Baffle of Alberta and I’ll ask Ryan if Jay Feaster’s response to a badly needed re-stocking of prospects is to go for it one more time.
  • Corey Graham, play-by-play voice of the Edmonton Oil Kings on Team 1260. Corey will give us updates on the Oilers prospects on the Oil Kings and I’ll ask his opinion on the Marincin trade, the WJ’s performances of some draft eligibles and the growing sense that Griffin Reinhart might just be the real deal.
  • Kent Wilson from Flames Nation. Kent is a brilliant stats guy and we’ll touch base on some of the deals already made in the last couple of weeks and some of the deals that could happen as we head to the deadline.

165 Responses to "G47 Flames at Oilers"

1. JAG-041 says:

LT
    way ahead of you on the sitting this one out
    MAYBE would watch this game for Hemsky or Gagner, maybe even Paajarvi
    aside from that I don’t wanna be conscious when my Calgary buddies start sending me their nasty text messages regarding the bashing the Oilers are about to receive

maybe there is a nice girl hanging out in downtown Toronto tonight who feels the same way…
    probably not

2. jake70 says:

Oilers Flames on Saturday night HNIC with Mark Lee – recipe for Oilers loss it seems every time. Glencross with 2 goals and 2 dirty hits, , Iginla with 3 points.

Is 1130am too early for Baileys – got some of that demon in my cofee, life’s good.

Tough loss for Milos in Aus.

3. oilersfan says:

Glencross is injured but Tanguay likely in

4. HBomb says:

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: I am sick and fucking tired of watching the Oilers lose to the Calgary Flames over-and-over-and-over-again.

And yet again, we’ll be heading into an HNIC game with these assholes short-handed (no Gilbert or RNH, probably no Hall, and Eberle in his second game back from an extended injury absence). Which means the beatings are likely to continue for at least one more “Battle” of Alberta.

Put in a good effort, and there might be hope – the Flames are a highly mediocre team and are without question “beatable”. There’s plenty of nights to “Fail for Nail”, tonight I want to be able to talk junk to Flamer-fans when I’m leaving Rexall around 11pm.

Time to show some guts, boys…Ryan Smyth can lead the charge if he likes. I’m as pro-mullet as anyone, and the play of Horcoff (4 points in his last 20 games) and Hemsky (9 in his last 20) lately hasn’t been terrific by any stretch, how 94 has escaped criticism is a bit of a mystery (6 points in his last 20 games). Then again, outside of Hall (20 points in his last 20 games) and maybe Gagner (13 in his last 20)….no one is immune to criticism right now among the forwards (RNH and Eberle excluded, due to both missing significant time lately).

As for the defense – after seeing the scoring chance numbers at the halfway point on C&B, there should be no doubt that Tom Gilbert is this team’s MVP and is no worse than a #3 d-man in this league. Anyone still criticizing the guy’s play simply isn’t very smart, to put it as politely as possible.

5. russ99 says:

Not sure I like the Suter rumor, as we’d have to give up tons to gett him. Especially if none of the kid line is included.

My guess would be something like Gagner, MPH, Marincin and the first rounder. Which is way too much…

I know we need a franchise defenseman to turn the corner, but would prefer the Oilers kick that can down the road a bit, to see how a fe young players develop the next year or so.

Russ99: My guess for Suter would be Hemsky, Petry and the 2012 lottery pick. Preds can sign Hemsky and draft a potential franchise player plus Petry will have a career.

If the Oilers are going to get Suter, they will overpay and that’s an overpay. PLUS the contract. I don’t think it is wise, so it’ll happen.

7. rich says:

@HBomb – well said re: Gilbert, the man was having a great season until that goon Carcillo pulled that crap.

Am not holding my breath but it would be nice if for once, we could be Calgary. Give Feaster credit though, they may very well me mortgaging the future but they have a plan and they’re trying to win.

8. Ducey says:

McSorley doesn’t know what he is talking about – ever.

If Tambo goes after Suter at the deadline, I will have finally given up him. He will give up a ton to find Suter either won’t sign, or if he does, he will want out in year or two. He specifically swore never to chase the big name free agents about 2 years ago – hopefully he recalls Pronger gate/Heatley gate/Hossagate/ Vanekgate etc.

I put the over/ under on shots for the OIlers tonight at 20. If they get over, I’ll consider them to have won.

The combo of Mark Lee and the floating Hemsky takes away my will to live.

9. Marc says:

LT

What in you view would be a bad contract for Suter?

And what would be a bad contract for Hemsky?

10. oilersfan says:

Stauffer has said repeatedly there are four assets the oilers won’t trade; Hall, RNH, Eberle and this year’s pick. If there is one guy plugged in it is him not Matheson. He has also said if Hemsky wants to stay it is up to him if he will take a bit of a hometown discount he will get term.

Marc: A bad contract for Suter would be a long, long term one. Like 8 years. A bad contract for Hemsky? 5 years, 28 million.

12. jb says:

Agreed that’s far to steep, but there’s not a chance it’ll take Hemsky + a lottery pick to get Suter..

At most your lookin at Hemsky, prospect, 2nd…

Anything more and there’s no reason to make the deal from Edmontons perspective.

13. oilersfan says:

One other thing about Stauffer. Last year he was always asking the Maclean’s_-Dregers-Freedman types if tje Oilers would trade Hemsky or Penner and what would they be worth. Then Tambo goes on HNIC and says Hemsky is their best player and he doesn’t want to trade him. Maybe Stauffer was setting up the market for Penner?

This year he has barely talked about Hemsky being traded at all. Hopefully that is a sign that they are trying to sign him.

14. VOR says:

LT,

If you are gambling on NFL football at the beginning of a year the best predictor of a turnaround in close games losses the season before. So if it works in baseball and football does it work in hockey?

Maybe we are closer than we think.

Actually, it would be hard for the Oilers not to be closer than we think. Given that if there is any hope in the foreseeable future (say a millenia or so) then they are closer than we think.

I am praying that we aren’t in the bidding for Suter. Wrong solution at the wrong time with tons of negative consequences if they ever succeeded. Great d-man but not enough improvement to push us over the top, too expensive in terms of assets given up and too much money for a team that wants to be great long term. Lord help the Oilers if they couldn’t sign Suter long term. If the rumor were true then we would know for certain a) there is no plan – that has all been PR spin and b) our management really are stupid.

15. NOTB says:

Steve McQueen and Paul Newman – my dad had me hooked on watching their movies as early as I can remember. That’s a great photo… you could probably write a good novel just on the backstory to that image.

Knife to a gun fight. I’m sure owner / management are wringing their hands and gnashing teeth over Hemsky’s ‘attitude’… but keep sending loyal troops out to battle year after year without a proper supporting cast and who wouldn’t want greener pastures. In fact I think it speaks volumes to Hemsky’s character that he doesn’t want to put up with it any more. I worry more about some of the other vets that seem content year after year. This team lost a valuable peice of the defensive puzzle for nothing when Souray spoke up. Now this organization is again in a position of weakness and likely to get $.60 on the dollar for Hemsky and whatever future we trade away.

There’s a workplace culture problem and management (this or next) needs to sort it out fast.

16. OilLeak says:

The only way that I’m comfortable with the Suter trade if these two things happen:

1st round pick Is off limits and that Suter is signed then traded. If that happens, give them whatever they want except the 3 kids.

17. D says:

LT,

I may be wrong, but the fact that you would even have to hope that RNH, Hall and Eberle would be excluded from a Suter trade really telegraphs how much you’ve lost faith in this team’s management.

Anyway, remember when the Flames hated visiting this building?

As good as those guys whose names are hanging from the rafters were, they don’t get enough credit for their grit. They were gritty as sandpaper. More than anything else, that’s what’s missing from the team now.

18. DBO says:

The issue really comes down to the fact that Tambellini feels they are close to winning a cup. He overvalues his current players, thinks Bulin is a top flight goalie, feels Barker is a top 3 dman. That’s the scariest part really, the fact that he can not evaluate the impact players actually have on the ice.

i hope if he deals for Suter it won’t include Hemsky. That kind of move makes it seem like you are going for it. What scares me is it is the Burke move with Kessel. Trade away a potential top 3 pick and pay a huge contract. To be honest, Hemsky and the 1st is enough, but you are right LT, he’ll overpay.

I like Suter as a UFA. I like signing him, resigning Hemsky, dealing away Bulin, and adding a solid vet to pair with Dubnyk (for a year until Bunz is up), and add maybe another solid D and we may make the playoffs next year. Solid D and a solid goalie hide a lot of kid mistakes. Hell, if they go for Suter, deal for Miller as well. Might as well go crazy:

Bulin, MPS, Smyth (resigns in Summer) a prospect (Roy) or two and maybe a pick for Miller and Stafford (clears salary for Buffalo, gets them younger and shakes it up. Pairs Bulin with Enroth).
    Hemsky, Petry and a 1st for Suter (overpay, but crazy like a fox tambellini knows best?).
    Deal Belanger to Caps for Shultz (he is barely playing and they need vets and clears cap for next year)

If you are going to go crazy, then go all the way, don’t half ass it. Pick a strategy, fix the holes and run for it. or get out of the way and bring in someone who will make actual decisions.

Smyth-Nuge-Eberle
    Hall-Gagner-Stafford
    Eager-Horcoff-Jones
    Harsky-Lander-Omark

Suter-Whitney
    Smid-Gilbert
    Shultz-Potter
    Teubert/Klefbomb

Miller
    Dubnyk

Go all the way or go home. At this point just pick a path and go for it. Need a beer.

19. D says:

DBO,

That’s a playoff team there DBO. Very nice roster.

d: Yeah, that’s fair. In a big trade or free agent signing, I’m not convinced the current management is going to get full value.

21. "Steve Smith" says:

22. SoxandOil says:

According to the twitters, Taylor Hall is playing tonite…

Too soon?

23. D says:

Agreed LT.

BTW. I am still going to watch the game. Sigh.

24. Traktor says:

HBomb:

Time to show some guts, boys…Ryan Smyth can lead the charge if he likes.I’m as pro-mullet as anyone, and the play of Horcoff (4 points in his last 20 games) and Hemsky (9 in his last 20) lately hasn’t been terrific by any stretch, how 94 has escaped criticism is a bit of a mystery (6 points in his last 20 games). Then again, outside of Hall (20 points in his last 20 games) and maybe Gagner (13 in his last 20)….no one is immune to criticism right now among the forwards (RNH and Eberle excluded, due to both missing significant time lately).

hbomb:

Smyth is -5 in his last 24
    Horcoff is -18 in his last 24

Smyth gfga differential for the year: 0.00
    Horcoff gfga differential for the year: -1.42!!!!!!!!!

One of these players is not like the other.

Smyth is still on pace for 26 goals which is a higher total than anyone on our roster has ever achieved.

I’m not sure why you think Hemsky hasn’t received much criticism either, he certainly has. But when you look at Hemsky you just need look at his centermen. He is pure passer that is either centered by Horcoff (1 goal in 24 games) or Gagner (on pace for 9 goals, lol). Then on the PP Renney plays our only two goal scorers (Smyth, Eberle) on a different PP unit.

Depending on whether Gagner is a center moving forward this team has one good player at that position and he is 18 years old. People talk about how shit our defense is but at least we have some potential in that area (Klefbom, Musil, Marincin, Gernat, Bigos). Our only potential center in the pipeline that can play with skill is Tyler Pitlick and his AHL numbers aren’t very inspiring.

We might as well trade MPS and Hartikainen now because if putting them in the position to succeed means playing them on the 3rd line with Belanger.. well.. we all know how that is going to end.

To everyone:

Why hasn’t Tambellini either been fired or extended? My only theory is it doesn’t really matter because Kevin Lowe makes the final decision anyways.

25. "Steve Smith" says:

This is an abrupt change of subject, but is there any possibility that the new site could include a comment-blocking feature, such that we could set comments of some posters to be automatically hidden from view when we’re logged in?

My many fans would thank you.

SS: I have no idea. I’ll look, but can’t promise anything. So I’m clear, this feature would give zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

27. itsaleaf says:

If Hall is indeed playing tonight, if someone so much as breathes on him I want eager or hordichuk to go ballistic

28. jb says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Why would a lottery team be looking to spend big on an impending UFA?That would be just bizarre, and I actually have more faith in Tambellini – just an iota more, mind you – than I’d need to believe it.

UFA for a UFA could work out for both teams. Nashville want a solid top 6 forward and can afford to give up a defender to get one..

Suter would compliment our core of young guys perfectly, as he’s really just beginning his prime as a now 27 yr old defender.

This is the kinda big-fish we should be targeting. How many teams can afford to give Suter the money he’s looking for? Not as many as you’d think but the Oilers are one…

You can deal Hemsky + pick/prospects, but not the lottery pick…

Yakupov/Grigorenko first, then you find a way to add the 25-28 year old Suter type defenseman. I don’t think drafting a defender is in our best interest now… Our cores along a bit further than we think… if we stay league average healthy next year with a couple added veterans on the back-end we’ll be challenging for a playoff spot for sure.

Goaltendings still an obvious issue going forward, but it should be good enough with some added depth on the backend..

29. James says:

D:

30. Bruce McCurdy says:

I don’t get the logic that Oilers will get zero value for Hemsky because he’s an impending UFA, but are apparently prepared to trade Yakupov, Petry, Pitlick, Marincin, Hartikaninen, and, oh yeah, Hemsky to get two months of Ryan Suter. Maybe we should throw in our firsts in 2013-18 just to sweeten the pot.

If Nashville can’t sign Suter aren’t they likely to have to trade him for less than he’s “worth”? Which will be a lot, but come on, people.

PS: If Tambi does nothing, fire his ass. But if he does something, fire his ass!

31. Ribs says:

Ah, crap if there’s time would you mind asking for some insight into Kirk’s tweet on Martin Frk?

Martin Frk and decision not to play in WJC…good insight on the talented Czech who made a tough call to stay in Halifax.

32. Ribs says:

Oop. last question already. Oh, well.

33. peeps says:

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum already, but what kind of underlying numbers does Suter have?

I mean, he plays typically with Weber (doesn’t he?) and he plays on a defensively oriented team in Nashville. Doesn’t playing with good players make you look better? Think of anyone paired with Pronger (before this year) or other players of his ilk.

Do we have WOWY numbers showing how good Suter is with Weber, vs. how good Suter is without Weber?

What happens if we do trade the 1st overall, Hemsky and Petry for Suter, and Petry suddenly looks all-world playing with Weber and with the Predators? How likely is this doomsday scenario? Thanks a bunch.

34. Ribs says:

…And Kirk answers immediately on twitter. The Future!

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

… oh, and Gagner. How could I forget Gagner? He’s prime bait for the next great white whale, surely.

36. DSF says:

peeps:

I mean, he plays typically with Weber (doesn’t he?) and he plays on a defensively oriented team in Nashville.Doesn’t playing with good players make you look better?Think of anyone paired with Pronger (before this year) or other players of his ilk.

What happens if we do trade the 1st overall, Hemsky and Petry for Suter, and Petry suddenly looks all-world playing with Weber and with the Predators?How likely is this doomsday scenario?Thanks a bunch.

It’s actually Weber that is benefitting playing with Suter.

Having said that, any discussion of Suter coming to Edmonton is pretty goofy.

The reason that Weber and Suter haven’t re-upped long term is because they are waiting see if Poile is serious about adding the pieces to become a Cup contender.

Given the sorry state of the Oil I would imagine Edmonton would be one of the last places they would want to sign.

It wouldn’t surprise me if BOTH of them end up in Detroit if Lidstrom packs it in.

37. Bruce McCurdy says:

D: Anyway, remember when the Flames hated visiting this building?

I certainly do. I remember that particular game well (Game 7, 1984), remember leaping out of my seat when Fogolin of all people hit the top corner to open the scoring, the crunching sound of Messier running Eaves into the glass; the brilliant tight-rope act Gretzky did on the the blueline to set the table for Anderson’s game-tying, game-turning goal; Linseman somehow willing the puck about an inch over the goalline for the game winner, and celebrating in the arms of the nearest Flame. :) The hatred was palpable, and Oilers didn’t come out second best all that often. They sure didn’t that night.

38. Ducey says:

That makes sense for the team going to the playoffs, not for the one that who would be best off finishing last.

Hemsky for a high pick and a Blum type makes much more sense.

39. Hack says:

What I’m wondering with regards to Suter is what a competent GM in our position would give up for him? It seems to me the Oilers have a lot of useable pieces for this type of trade with Nashville, both to help their playoff push and futures. What a good GM would do is a quantity for quality trade like we’ve seen with the Pittsburgh/Hossa and in my opinion would have to include a signed Suter(would have to be an overpay contract).
    Eg: Smyth, Hemsky, Sutton, Paajarvi and our 2nd round pick for Suter signed for 5-6 years at 6.5Mil/yr

And really you could thrown in Omark, Peckham, and a slew of others without having to give up a building block like Petry or the 1st rounder. No playoff contender could offer that much help to NSH at the deadline with regards to their playoff push and contention once the playoffs start.

40. Ribs says:

D,

That’s one hell of a clip right there. A little bit of everything; Gretzky taking away pucks and sniping, Messier delivering a charge from behind that would have seen him banned for 20 games nowadays, OIlers making the Flames pay on the powerplay, an Al MacInnis boomer, Kurri gold on a breakaway, and it even showed an old guy in the stands with a big ol’ portable radio.

41. Ribs says:

I don’t know how much context this gives when comparing to a Suter trade, but this is what Yzerman gave up for Brewer not long ago…

St. Louis Blues traded Eric Brewer to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Brock Beukeboom and a third-round draft pick in 2011.

Just my opinion, but I think if you’re going to shoot for the moon, you have to go for Weber.

42. Traktor says:

Edmonton would likely match or better any team that is trading for a signed Suter. Assuming that Suter is willing to sign an extension with a team that trades for him then Edmonton makes an obvious destination and Tambellini would be stupid to not at the very least explore the option.

Yeah, we suck and all that but Suter would give us 4 star players and an owner willing to spend to the cap. If Suter is looking for a 7 or 8 year deal then Edmonton is probably a good bet to be a contender in that time frame.

If Edmonton landed Suter to go along with 4, 14 and 93 I would think many UFA’s would view Edmonton as a team that could contend. You could likely make up the difference in players traded for Suter with UFA’s looking to sign with a team on the rise (assuming they don’t care about the weather). In the end you get Suter without losing any assets.

Again, not a high percentage bet that Suter would want to sign here but Tambellini wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t explore the possibility.

43. peeps says:

DSF: It’s actually Weber that is benefitting playing with Suter.

Thanks DSF. I just keep remembering (or is it imagining now?) how good Petry seemed to look when paired with a healthy Whitney last year. I don’t like the idea of trading away Petry, and if we can keep him AND pickup a strong #1 defenceman, so much the better.

The more I think about it, the more I hate trading away Hemsky, Petry, and our 1st-round draft pick this year for one #1 defenceman. If everyone is healthy next year (except Whitney, whom I’m worried is finished), our depth looks like this… right?

Smid – Gilbert
    Sutton(UFA) – Petry(RFA)
    Barker(RFA) – Potter
    Extra: Teubert, Peckham(RFA), Klefbom(?), Whitney(injured)

As-is, the above pairings look very poor (to me). If Petry is traded away in exchange to get Suter, our depth looks like this..

Suter – Gilbert
    Smid – Potter
    Sutton – Teubert
    Extra: Barker, Peckham, Klefbom

This seems a lot better, but with the right side so weak, I’m not convinced as a group that this will be that much more successful. This concerns me especially considering we’ll have given up Hemsky, and one of Yakupov/Gregorenko/Murray. We don’t have Barker on openning night, but we end up with Teubert on openning night.

If we trade for Suter, but somehow don’t sign at least one #2 defenceman, or at least 2x 3-4 defencemen, a trade for Suter seems like a bad move. Am I way out to lunch?

Edit: I love the idea of getting Suter, but only if we pick up the additional defencemen needed to build a strong defence core. I don’t want to add Suter, and then leave the Defence as-is. If we pickup Suter, add no other defencemen, and lose Hemsky, Petry, and the 1st pick, that seems like a poor half-way approach.

44. Captain Obvious says:

No one is stupid enough to trade away the #1 or #2 pick in the draft for an expiring contract. No one.

Nashville isn’t going to trade away Suter while they are a playoff team. No chance.

If Nashville trades away Suter it will be to a team that makes the playoffs. The incentives are all on the side of a playoff team.

Basically this is the dumbest internet rumour in the history of time. To speak of it is to become functionally retarded.

45. Marc says:

I suspect that McSorley just looked for teams who badly need a top pairing D and who have the cap space to give Suter a big extension when he came up with Edmonton as a possible destination for Suter.

The only way a deal for Suter makes sense for Edmonton is if he is willing to sign an extension with them – you don’t rent a player like Suter so you can move from 29th to 23rd. But if Suter wants to leave Nashville I don’t see why he would give up the chance to be a UFA, especially when teams liek Detroit and New York would certianly want him.

If for some reason Suter would actually sign an extension in Edmonton though, the OIlers are actually a great team for Nashville to deal Suter to. They don’t have to worry about facing him in the playoffs this year and Edmonton could actually give them players that could strengthen them for a playoff run rather than just picks and prospects. Hemsky, Sutton and Omark for Suter for example should set them up for a nice playoff run as well as in the future if they resign Hemsky. A low first round pick, young player and second tier prospect is probably what they’re looking at from a team like Detroit or Philadelphia, which doesn’t help them much this year.

46. Denniss says:

I don’t think McSorley’s broken anything yet, has he? Until he does I won’t put much faith in him possessing any kind of tea leaves.

That being said I thought of the Oilers chasing Suter just the other night; and I thought of it at the deadline with the Oilers going all in and giving up a bunch instead of waiting until the summer and not having to give anything up.

The suspected package – 58-83-lottery pick – seems to be a helluva guess, too. I would personally trade the lottery pick plus Petry for a signed Sutter and then if you also move 83 you gotta get a second round pick in return.

47. Denniss says:

Just read that Eberle’s on After Hours…what are the odds Oake calls him out on that missus rejecting his advances at the world championships?:)

48. Rondo says:

Hypothetical question if Oscar Klefbom was in the 2012 draft where would you rank him among D-men?

“Linseman with Pouzar and Lumley”

Damn I love hockey.

In today game Messier would finish his career with about 1/2 of the points as he did back then.

Bastard would always be suspended.

51. FPB94 says:

Sadly for the oil this draft looks like it’s the most putrid one ever outside of the top picks. (Yakupov and Grigorenko)

Forsberg with one point in 10 swedish minor league games and Athanasiou with 28 points in 43 OHL games are just pathetic excuses for the ”top forwards”.

Oilers should get rid of that pick, unless they fall to 29-30th.

52. pboy says:

Woodguy:

Bastard would always be suspended.

Moose looked like he wanted to kill Peplinski there. You’re right, he wouldn’t have close to the same career in this day and age.

53. lazerguidedmelody says:

FPB94:

Oilers should get rid of that pick, unless they fall to 29-30th.

There’s at least 3 D I’d be happy with from the first round (draft order depending)

54. FPB94 says:

Lazer: Well I can”t really judge d-men, cause honnestly I don’t think anyone can.

But on the forward side, just seeing Forsberg up there is pathetic.

Just comparing MPS with him.

17 PTS in 50 SEL games for MPS.

and Forsberg has 1 point in 10 SEL-1 games. (And he’s projected to be 3rd)

55. misfit says:

“Steve Smith”: Why would a lottery team be looking to spend big on an impending UFA? That would be just bizarre, and I actually have more faith in Tambellini – just an iota more, mind you – than I’d need to believe it.

I wouldn’t look at it that way. They wouldn’t be aquiring him as a rental for a playoff run, but rather to ge their hands on a 27 year old top pairing defenseman who could solidify the defense for the next 7 or 8 years. He just doesn’t have a contract yet. The price would be great, for sure, but there’s no way it would take the 1st or one of the big 3 to make it happen. When was the last time a UFA traded at the deadline brought in a lottery pick or 18-20 year old franchise forward? Never, by my count.

I’m sure they would aquire him with every intention of signing him to an extension, and unlike a lot of people, I think the Oilers could actually sign him.

56. Smarmy says:

I’m loving Oake-Eberle matchup on AH. As Dennis says, the girl who turned him away is a good item, plus the gap-tooth look, Regina’s water, divorces in the family and any dementia among the Eberle’s are all solid possibles.

58. FPB94 says:

Smarmy: Well the 1st picks won’t turn out to shit, so if you can pass it to Nashville with something redunant, i’d do it.

59. danny says:

FPB94,

You’re saying that a top 3 pick this year will turn out to be shit?

Are you the same FPB that argued for 3+ months that RNH was a shitty pick?

Just wondering.

60. JAG-041 says:

I didn’t realize Hall and Ebs are both playing in my earlier post
    maybe this is worth watching
    even if we lose
    sorry ladies
    you’re on the backburner tonight

61. D says:

James,

Bruce McCurdy,

Ribs,

Memories gents! Here’s to Edmonton someday once again being the centre of the hockey world.

62. misfit says:

Smarmy: I don’t know. I’m not sure paying a king’s ransom in talent for the privilege of paying a king’s ransom to Suter is the way to go.

How about if the alternative is to see the pieces you need to ice a competative team sign with elsewhere on July 1st and being left holding the bag? Or filling the holes through the draft and waiting 6 years for that method to bear fruit.

Good young defensemen are highly sought after pieces that are never given away, and elite players are going to come with big contracts no matter how you get them.

Danny with the big fly there.

64. Ribs says:

I might have to crack into the leftover booze stash from the New Year’s party we had, tonight. Go Oil!

65. hunter1909 says:

Nice to see Eraserhead.

Thinking about getting Yakupov/Grigorenko it suddenly dawned on me that if they put two superstars on each of the top two lines, and plug in players who can keep from falling over, and the superstars will easily elevate the Gagners/MPS’s into star status.

MPS RNH Yakupov
    Hall Gagner Eberle

That’s a dynastic top six. No idea about the defence, other than they sure have a lot of depth prospects coming up soon.

PS: Someone please tell me Hall’s not playing tonight.

PPS: Enjoyed reading asinine suggestions to trade away Oilers lottery pick btw.

66. danny says:

Hey everyone, wordpress is being a bit wacky tonight. If you read this, can you do a quick reply?

67. hunter1909 says:

Hello Danny.

Come and play with us Danny.

Forever, and ever, and ever.

68. danny says:

redrum

69. Rebilled says:

I have a feeling they are going to trade this pick away too LT. I think they’ll keep whoever they draft for a year though, til 35 is done.

I do think they’ll trade Hemmer at the deadline and it will be a horrible Penner type trade. Although, Pancakes didn’t make us eat any crow…yet. I think Burke might pick him up.

Thought it was funny that Belanger thought his and Hall’s presence in the line-up would give the Oilers some jump tonight. Think he’s about half-right. Think Hall will play like a crazed maniac tonight though. His little buddy Ebs too.

Jack Nance was always my favorite Lynch actor. Pete in Twin Peaks especially.

70. FPB94 says:

Danny: I’ve said everything except the top picks (Grigorenko, Yakupov and the D kids)

I wasn’t aware the Oil was so bad. As for the misjudgement on RNH, I seemed wrong on Hall, picking over Seguin, now i’m right. How fast it changes for kids.

Just to piss in your cereals:

RNH

Corsi ON -3,33 Corsi REL 3,8 TOI 13,29 P/60 2,02 +- ON/60 0.59 QualC (9th) QT (1st)

(Smashing the soft parade with the killers)

Couturier

Corsi ON : 3,33 Corsi REL: 3,00 TOI : 9,40 P/60 2,65+- ON/60 1,56 QC (9th) QT (12th (Worst))

(Smashing the soft parade with the worst)

LT: Sorry, but that’s wide of the foul line.

So Couturier produces more, with less help, against the same guys, and dominates them more.

Can’t judge 5/4 cause he hasn’t had significant time, but i’m standing by my pick, who’s outta of this world 5 on 5.

71. danny says:

FPB, I’m not talking about Couturier. He’s a good player, having a good year. I’m referring to your adamant opinion that RNH was a bad pick, that all of his offense was powerplay assists, and that scouts are generally morons unaware of valuable information such as rickibears stats.

It was in direct response to you saying EDM should trade the (currently 2nd overall) pick because the eligible draftees are shit.

72. DSF says:

Columbus with a point in OT

73. bookje says:

Danny – wasn’t working on my pc on Chrome . Working fine on my iPhone. My pc seemed to stumble on the first image. Maybe remove the images and see if that fixes it.

I want everyone to know that Danny has received zero fucking dollars for a lot of work. We’re back. Danny, I’d kiss you but I don’t sway that way, :-)

75. danny says:

LT just said its working again. He said people have been tweeting him all night saying they couldnt load the site.

On my end of the continent, its been purring like a kitten the entire while.

No idea whats happening, Best guess is that a zamboni was parked on the internet somewhere around Manitoba.

i did see Alan Watt delivering the Journal, does that count?

77. DSF says:

Likely the second image

78. DSF says:

i did see Alan Watt delivering the Journal, does that count?

What is the scuttlebutt there LT?

79. danny says:

Someone registered today with the username ‘Hack’ or ‘Hacker’ or something

maybe someone from the Smid fanclub is doing a little DOS attack on his blog.

DSF: No idea. Shyte happens. I can say the fellow who replaced him is a stand up guy.

81. pboy says:

Couturier is also playing on a very good team and he isn’t being counted on to produce. If he does it’s a nice bonus for Philly. He’s also surrounded by a group of veteran NHL players who have gone deep into the playoffs, made All-Star teams and who have won a ton of games in their NHL careers. RNH is playing on the worst team in the NHL, he has the pressure of being the #1 overall pick and he is needed to contribute.

You go ahead and stand by your pick. I’ll take my chances with RNH’s career. He’s going to be special.

82. Traktor says:

Is Eberle playing with MPS and Belanger? Surely our coach wouldn’t play our leading scorer with two players that have combined for 1 goal this season.

PBOY: RNH was the right pick, I have no doubt. But Couturier is going to be very good imo.

84. uni says:

Hunter, I knew you were crazy, but now you’ve added a creepy element that’s unsettling…have you been hitting all that whiskey you horded last year or have you found something new?

FPB, Couturier does look like something special, but you did spend an awful lot of time trying to prove how horrible RHN and AL were. Meh, we’ll see in 5 years, I think all 3 will be fine. Personally I wanted Larsson myself. Then again I would have taken Hedman over Tavares or Duschene.

LT, what’s this talk of something happening to someone and a replacement? Did Dennis finally piss off the wrong people and end up at the bottom of a harbour somewhere?

85. danny says:

I hope Souray pummels Iginla tonight.

#losingsince2007
    #onebigblur

Welp!

87. D says:

I’d like to see Hall become that player someday. Watching the game – looks like it is going to be a long night.

James: Oh man, I needed that. That Messier was a filthy, filthy player. I’d love to see some of that emerge with the kids. Thanks for the link!

88. Ducey says:

Game over.

89. uni says:

So…lady friend is out cold on the couch and I’m out of that tasty fruity happy juice I found earlier in the fridge. Any suggestions on how to spend the rest of the game?

UNI: You are a gentleman. Watch the game and take it like a man. Literally. She’ll pay you back/

91. bookje says:

I think I will watch a movie – have the game being PVRed and was about to watch it when I noticed it was 2-0 Flames. I haven’t had time to watch a movie in a while – seems like a good night to do it.

92. Gerta Rauss says:

danny
    The site was just timing out between 6 and 7pm(ish) PST…I couldn’t get the home page to launch.Everything seems fine now.

What time does the game start?

Oh.

93. itsaleaf says:

just terrible again. this story is really old

94. uni says:

I have it, Tambellini instructed them to follow the Columbus model. Allow 2 quick 1st period goals from ‘depth’ players. Then, BAM! Four unanswered goals and a win.

Also I’m sure I don’t know what you’re talking about LT but I’ll defer to your greater experience.

95. Professor Q says:

We Oilers fans have come to enjoy torturing ourselves it seems.

The Oilers may never score again.

97. Ducey says:

Tuebert having a rough game

98. Traktor says:

We want 10.

99. uni says:

itsaleaf,

The CnB boys in a comment thread had links to “How It Ends” and “The Song That Never Ends”, they should start pipping that at Rexall. Although I read that the Oil dominated LA recently.

100. uni says:

How does that go again, about if they didn’t have bad luck?

101. Rebilled says:

Too bad Renney doesn’t have another time-out. The last one must have been very inspiring¡

If it weren’t for no luck, the Oilers would have no luck at all. That, and a very unbalanced team.

I hope when they come back, all the fans are gone.

Oilers have a disconnect. Where is it? My guess is ST pays the price,

103. Professor Q says:

Yet I hope all 3 of those guys (KL, ST, TR) get sacked. New horizons!

104. Professor Q says:

Look at that – the first period just started and the Oilers are already down by 3!

105. uni says:

I can’t see them letting Tambo walk. Even if they do it’ll be too late to stop him from dumping Hemsky. At this point I’d love to see MacTavish behind the bench, and I’d even accept him as a GM.

Wonder what SY would do with this team.

106. itsaleaf says:

This is brutal. I don’t care how good The kids are, the veterans on this team are horrible. Until they are flushed there isn’t going to be much improvement.

This team is fucking terrible.

107. uni says:

Helluva sequence by Teubert there. Kept the play alive in the Ozone for a bit, although it didn’t work in the end, and broke up a dangerous looking rush the other way afterwards.

Itsaleaf, they need more good NHL players, that’s the problem.

108. jake70 says:

Nice Hordichuk ya hit the net…nice.

109. Ducey says:

is that about 30 broken sticks??

110. uni says:

I’d like to say Stempniaked…but he isn’t exactly single handedly doing it tonight. It’s familiar though, just like losing to Calgary, or any team really.

111. Traktor says:

Oilers 60% on draws after 2 periods

#faceoffswingames

112. danny says:

If only we kept Penner. Sigh.

113. Traktor says:

Renney’s new concoction of Eberle and the Stones with a cool -7 after 2 periods.

114. danny says:

The Isles 3rd jerseys are hideous. Much like the guys in Oiler jerseys.

I miss Gord Mark.

116. Traktor says:

I wonder if Katz will watch the 3rd.

117. danny says:

17 of 20 BOA have been in favor of Cowtown.

Ridiculous.

118. rich says:

Andy Sutton – trade him while we can get something for him.

119. Ribs says:

I busted out the leftover booze and managed to miss the first…and most of the second now…Doing good so far. The neighbours are partying and invited us over…What’s the score? Thanks for the advice, LT!

Big shout out to Danny for getting the site up and maintained! I haven’t had any problems with it but it’s good to know someone is there keeping things in order. I’m adding him to the list of dudes that I owe pitchers of beer to (I owe LT many a beer, by my count).

120. danny says:

Looked like 94s stick went under Kippers pad and lifted it high enough for 25s shot to slide under. Slick.

121. SK Oiler Fan says:

That’s a really smart line. Smart Hockey

122. striatic says:

Thanks Darcy.

123. Gerta Rauss says:

Well it’s not a BOA on Hockey night in Canada unless Iggy scores.

124. danny says:

Lol. Kevin Weekes just called out Tom Renneys line decisions.

Doesn’t he understand the concept of exciting last place hockey?

Seeing Sarich crash into Kipper was probably the best part of the game tonight. Thanks Darcy.

Let’s all agree. IF we see HNIc plus ST next year we take our females out for dinner and improve the Corsi collective. amiright?

126. SK Oiler Fan says:

They must have to change out the puck after Hordichuk and Eager are done hacking at it. Great hands.

127. Brett Gee says:

How close are we too the bottom of the barrel here. I’m still trying to imagine a worse situation (injuries excluded). Will this team win another game this year? I guess if they don’t and Tambellini is still around, then yes, I guess that would be a worse situation. Though, when we are this close to the bottom, it all starts to smell the same.

128. danny says:

Lol. We need to keep our mouths shut until after the draft. We don’t want a desperate GM making panic trades… Next year, barring major changes, fans need to organize an online petition, and a group walkout where fans leave a game en masse at 10:00 of he 2nd period. Notify the press. Make it a media circus. Sell the angle of fans building a new arena for a impotent franchise, wake up our inigmatic owner.

Sitting back and letting them control the media isn’t gonna cut it much longer.

Can you imagine the field day TSN would have if EDM fans organized a walkout?

129. rich says:

Stempniak needs to thank Renney for that hat trick.

130. Brett Gee says:

Why pull the goalie so early? Oh right, to give the fans a jump start on catching the LRT. Good move, Renney.

131. uni says:

I don’t know why CBC keeps referring to this as the Battle of Alberta. The game was more akin to a light skirmish followed by a rout.

132. Gerta Rauss says:

San Jose/Van back to back then a week off for the All star break-we may not win again until sometime in February.

133. OilClog says:

why is this happening? I don’t know how much more I can take. Is Renney’s aim to make us forget the Anahiem game, by absolutely shitting the bed against calgary…

Hall calling out Renney… I hope this creates a giant whoopla, can’t wait for management to explain this shamble of a team.

134. uni says:

Stock with a nice catch there. Hall shouting, “Why did we pull the goalie.” Wonder how the players feel about Renney.

135. danny says:

Wow nice catch for PJ.

Hall calling out Renney.

#newcoachnextyear

(maybe he was calling out the team, not Renney, as in, we’re not even close what’s the point)

136. SK Oiler Fan says:

Hall with the question of the night – Why is our coach pulling our goalie 3 goals down when we haven’t been in the game all night long and the season is done?

137. "Steve Smith" says:

SK Oiler Fan,

I guess the obvious answer is “Why not? We’re three goals down, haven’t been in the game all night, and the season is done.”

(The faulty parallelism in the above is deliberate, to better, uh, parallel the question.)

138. Wolfie says:

Huge amount of frustration coming out for the young #4. I like to see that…

The move to pull Dubnyk in a 3 goal game smells of desperation by Renney. I’m still trying to figure it out myself. What did he hope to gain? Lose the game by 2 goals? Getting scored on like that at the end absolutely crushes spirit and is only going to get people asking questions like Taylor did.

I think the time has come for a wholesale change.

139. oilersfan says:

So what’s worse, the Oilers’ goalies or the Defence?

I think that is one of those questions that is impossible to answer like Can God make a rock so big even he can’t lift it?

I was hoping Khabi could fetch a 2nd or 3rd rounder at the deadline but after this stinker he would be lucky to fetch a 6th. We shall see

I hate the Flames so much, I don’t really care if the Oilers lose to anyone else but them. This pathetic goaltending display in a game that was boring to watch and pretty even in scoring chances really makes my blood boil over.

Did the flames score the first 4 goals with 2 scoring chances?? Might have set a record for that.

Worst defence I have ever seen . Colten Teubert with the , well, the Colten Teubert Hattrick. 3 penalties, -3.

Now Ryan Smyth is enjoying a similar defence to the one the Oilers sucked to get Gagner with in 2007 after he was traded. Where is Bisaillon when you need him?

140. OilClog says:

“we tried, but we didn’t try very smart” .. Tom Renney Jan 21, 2012

141. rich says:

Tencer saying Barker is one of the top 5 defensemen on the team, maybe in the top 4.

What a DOLT.

142. PunjabiOil says:

Not exactly a positive update on Whitney either

I still contend the Oilers should tank it out for the rest of the year and only get aggressive in the off-season. The damage was done last summer when Tambellini (intentionally or unintentionally) did not improve the team much.

Whether Columbus catches the Oilers is another question. This could be the year the Oilers don’t get the luck in the lottery, and drop from 2nd to 3rd overall.

I can’t stomach another losing year like this next year. Enough is enough.

On another note, Ryan O’Marra, Josh Green and Colten Teubert are being assigned to the Oklahoma City Barons of the AHL per twitter.

143. pboy says:

danny:

Sitting back and letting them control the media isn’t gonna cut it much longer.

Can you imagine the field day TSN would have if EDM fans organized a walkout?

I can hear Bob Stauffer calling out the fans for not understanding how a rebuild works already…….

That would play great on TSN though. It was a couple of years ago when the Detroit Lion fans marched to get Matt Millen fired.

144. oilersfan says:

Punjabi

Would you pick Grigorenko over Yakipov? I would

On another note, it is worth considering which players are worth trading that will have some value at the trade deadline that have little value to the Oilers next year that can be replaced easily as UFA:
    Khabibulin
    Sutton
    Belanger
    Smyth (if he agrees to it then comes back)
    Jones
    Eager
    Barker

I bet every one of those could get a fourth rounder, and many of them except Eager a third rounder. Maybe a second for Smyth or Sutton or Khabi if he lights it up.

Notice I don’t have Hemsky on the list as I would rather re-sign him and when he plays well that talent can’t be replaced by the Oilers on the UFA market.

Also Gagner may have more value at the trade deadline and if they assume they can get Grigorenko possibly he would have nice value to Chicago or Philadelphia (Briere out with a concussion) and would garner a nice return I would think. I would do Gagner and Khabibulin for Mark McNeil and Kyle Beach.

I bet Yan Danis would give us better goaltending until season ends than Khabi has since Nov. 1. Shh don’t tell Stan Bowman

145. Gerta Rauss says:

OF
    Agree on Khabbi-it’s 11:59pm and the carriage is about to turn into a pumpkin on his season…move him now while the SV% is still somewhat respectable.

I like the look of Grigorenko but I’ll admit I know nothing about rating prospects…it’s odd though that what I can find says he’s playing right wing..?? but most people refer to him as a Center.

Clijsters vs Li Na going to a 3rd set down under if anyone follows women’s tennis…no grunting between these 2.

146. oilersfan says:

WHile they are sending down ROM, Teubert and Green, why not add MP and Lander to the list, then call up Cornet and Harsky? What might go wrong – the OIlers might lose a game? Would be nice to get some youthful enthusiasm on a team with no fire.

147. HBomb says:

itsaleaf:
    This is brutal.I don’t care how good The kids are, the veterans on this team are horrible.Until they are flushed there isn’t going to be much improvement.

This team is fucking terrible.

For all of the well-deserved criticism directed at the veterans of this team (as discussed earlier), tonight wasn’t a night where you could particularly get on some of them. Specifically, Smyth and Horcoff both finished +2 and any sustained pressure the Oilers generated seemed to happen with those two on the ice. Jones brought his usual level of effort, but I counted at least three obvious turnovers in the 10-foot area just inside the Oiler blueline, which is a dangerous way to try and operate against even a mediocre opponent.

Outside of those three, the guys who appeared to GAF (give-a-fuck) weren’t many: Hall, Hordichuk (limitations notwithstanding) and Sutton, with honorable mentions to Eberle and Peckham. However, that’s only 8 of 18 skaters….too many passengers and no-shows tonight. Shameful, considering the opponent (the provincial rival) and circumstance (Saturday night, Hockey Night in Canada).

148. peeps says:

Hbomb:
    I noticed you pointed out that Horcoff was plus 2. However, I’m dying waiting for the captain to start posting some crooked numbers. How are his underlying numbers? Does it at least look like he’s got some bad luck, and is bound for a goal? Someday?

149. peeps says:

As a quick follow-up, I’ve been taking crap from my coworkers for years now, defending Horcoff as a first line centre, or at least a good tough comp centre. I REALLY want a glimmer of hope that Horcoff isn’t as bad as the last 20 games make him seem. Thanks

150. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: “Linseman with Pouzar and Lumley”Damn I love hockey.

WG: That line was awesome in the ’84 playoffs. I used to kid that the 3 rules of playing against them were: 1) Keep yer head up! 2) Don’t turn yer back! 3) Then worry about the puck.

151. bookje says:

I though renney was ‘safe’ in terms of his job, but when coaches get crazy it’s a good sign that they are worried about a pink slip!

152. Bruce McCurdy says:

Renney looked kinda whipped at the presser, & getting called out by his young prodigy on national TV won’t help him sleep either.

What a mess this team is. A terrible game from the net right on out.

153. D says:

I agree. It really looked like he threw in the towel at that presser.

Bruce McCurdy:

What a mess this team is. A terrible game from the net right on out.

154. peeps says:

Smyth seemed dejected in the post game too. It seems like the only way Smyth will retire an Oiler is if he takes a hometown discount. However, this is his first year with the Oilers since the team has really sucked (incidentally that started as he left in 2007). If the Oilers do their seemingly annual toilet dive, how willing is Smyth going to be to leave money on the table in order to remain a part of a second-tier team?

155. wordbird says:

Should we actually be surprised this team is this bad? Of course not. Entering the season with barely half of an NHL depth chart on defense didn’t help. And what else can Oiler management claim credit for accomplishing this season? Let’s see… muddled goaltending situation, still muddled. Fritter away a year out of ELCs for #4, #14, #93? Check! Youngsters over their heads in the NHL while better options wait in OKC? Youbetchya!

Bravo, Oiler management! One foot firmly planted in the ‘rebuild’ and the other foot planted in ‘compete’. And the team manages to do neither.

What’s REALLY baking my noodle is how much worse this team would be without career years by Smid and Gilbert!!!?!?!?!?

156. Rebilled says:

The list is complete. Fans are pissed.

At what point is this hockey anymore? The management is setting the players up to lose games. It’s gonna be poison to UFAs.

How did they not pursue Hitch? Edmonton coach. A fucking coach. Look what he’s done with the Blues.

‘We sell this building out every night’ thecaptainringstrue

157. FPB94 says:

Meh. I’L admit I was wrong on RNH, but did not damn him to the point of not being an NHL player.

But he was still what I tought was the lesser of a stellar group.

These guys in the draft (Forwards beyond Yukapov and Grigorenko) are travesties.

1 Point in 10 SEL-1 (Not even the big league) games and 28 points in 42 OHL games.

You go find me the last time guys that bad were projected so high.

Filip Forsberg (projected N4) is getting outscored by notable killers such as:

Joakim Lindstrom and Fredrik Sjostrom.

158. canucknnv says:

waiting anxiously for todays blog and how LT feels about #4′s comments post game and where we go from here. It almost feels like a new day. I’m all for KLowe taking over the ship until the end of the year.

159. russ99 says:

Maybe this will (in part) convince Katz not to re-sign Tambellini.

If the plan is to have all your players give up, the plan’s working great!

I never thought this season would be worse than last year. We should at least see the needle moving upwards even if the wins aren’t coming. If anything, this team looks worse and worse every night.

Renney better see this as what it is and change things to get his players more interested in competing, or he’s gone too.

Unlike our GM Mr. Quiet, he has the best opportunity to turn this around right now.

160. russ99 says:

Did Eberle say anything interesting about our current level of suckitude on After Hours?

Sadly I can’t get that here (Chicago) anymore since the NHL Network only shows the early HNIC game. They used to show both games and after hours. :(

161. canucknnv says:

russ99:

I didn’t see it either as I live in Nevada but I would guess that he didn’t as he is a little more reserved in his comments. What Hall said needed to be said and I imagine some eyes were opened and late night discussions had. I liked the Fans at the game became boo birds as the clock ticked down, a regular occurrence lately.

162. jake70 says:

Eberle said Hall thinks the girls will like the war wound on his punkin.

163. PunjabiOil says:

Even as a proponent of tanking in recent years, I am concerned about the lack of progression and adverse impact the losing is having on the culture.

Katz honestly needs to clean house this summer.

164. bookje says:

So – Here is where I think we stand. The plan (I am guessing) was to see improvement and development this year, all while winning a few exciting games (RNH, Hall, etc) so as to keep the fans happy enough.

As a GM evaluating the coach OR as an owner evaluating a GM, I wouldn’t be too concerned about the recent losses, these can be attributed to injury. However, the real problem this year is the failure of guys like Eager, Belenger, and Hortichuk to do anything other than be an anchor on this team. These guys are all under-performing. And as JW pointed out in his article on ON the other day, some guys are having good seasons as well (RNH, others), but too many role players are struggling on this team, including guys like Horcoff.

In the end, it comes down to some combination of a lack of quality NHL players and some mismanagement by the coach.

165. striatic says:

bookje,

i think Eager has shown well as he’s come back from injury but Belanger needs to be generating more offense at evens. Hortichuk barely uses up a roster spot, so .. whatever. Horcoff, yeah, bad.

imagine how much more dangerous this team could be with Horcoff clicking and PRV and Omark on the third line.