SHIT HAPPENS

The Edmonton Oilers are beginning to remind me of David Mann. Poor guy leaves his house on the way to a meeting, just like he’s done a hundred times before. How was he to know that an old Peterbilt would change his life?

This is Keith Relf. Former lead singer of the Yardbirds electrocuted himself with his guitar. Damn.

This is Soledad Miranda. She was an emerging movie star (horror genre) when she died in a vehicle accident August 1970. Double damn.

I have no idea what the hell is going on with the Oilers future. I don’t like it, that’s for sure. Maybe the Edmonton Oilers are like David Mann. Innocent bystanders drawn into a duel not of their choosing. I don’t think using injuries as an excuse is a good idea for fan or organization, but the gifted kids are being picked off one by one in increasingly bizarre ways.

WTH? WTF?

I got nothing.

67 Responses to "SHIT HAPPENS"

1. pboy says:

Obviously you are concerned that this organization used up all of it’s good karma during the Reagan era. Maybe Ron Jr will run for office…….

2. Ribs says:

Shit happens. When you’re the Edmonton Oilers…It happens a lot. Ugh.

3. nathan says:

Gagner on the bench. Hall in warmup. At team meals the Oilers just about needs helmets and gloves.

4. Ribs says:

Skate guards for everyone! Even on the ice!

5. JAG-041 says:

a side note
    does the knot Renney does on his ties bug you as much as it bugs me?

6. Ribs says:

At least he doesn’t wear his scarf on the bench.

7. BlacqueJacque says:

Hey LT, I know you normally don’t care about politics, but this will affect you too:

Take a look at WikiPedia and why they, along with many other sites, are shutting down.

The SOPA/PIPA bills going through the US Congress would hit you hard. How many of those photos of beautiful actresses or scenes from movies did you pay for? How many of them are public domain? Your site would likely be shut down under these laws, or at least be blocked from an American audience.

Please, join us in shutting down for the Good of the Internet.

8. "Steve Smith" says:

BlackJack: I think you’re confusing “not caring about politics” with “not wanting his blog highjacked by politics discussions”. Please stop that.

9. Wolfie says:

Any word on the severity? I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the lowlight last night. Seriously!?!

10. spoiler says:

I don’t think SOPA will make it through. Besides LT isn’t an American citizen. He couldn’t even petition.

11. spoiler says:

This is a very strange blog entry, LT.

Did a “numbers blog” just enter the realm of superstition?

12. peeps says:

Damned if I know where the Oilers are going, but I wanted to point out that as great as the new style of the website has been, your pictures going along with the articles have been top notch. Very nice references!! (seeing Keyser Söze and reading about Tambellini seemed especially ironic).

Edit: I had missed BlackJack’s post until now. That’s poor timing.

13. OilClog says:

like a skate blade to this face… is there any chance at all we could convince someone to take Renney out 3-4 weeks.. arrow to the knee would work.. we know it won’t be Potter as it’s clear Renney put the hit out on Hall. We all saw Hall shaking his head against Anahiem and Renney’s decisions…

14. edwards_daddy says:

Soledad Miranda sure had something going on……

Twitter has Drew Stafford on the block – is he a fit?

15. uni says:

First of all, I leave for a few months and the whole site changes, egads!

Second, word out today on TSN that Detroit is very interested in acquiring a top 6 player/winger, and has 5.5 million under the cap to play with. Le sigh. How many cups do you think Hemsky wins with Detroit over the next decade? Two? Three?

16. Doogie2K says:

“Steve Smith”,

Considering SOPA and PIPA would allow the arbitrary shutdown of basically any site on the Internet, I think it’s relevant to everyone here.

We’ve seen how the Oilers handle criticism in the past. Can you imagine them using a flimsy copyright claim to shut down, say, Tyler’s site (using images of our trademarks and players!), and forcing him to jump through hoops to prove everything there is fair use? That specific scenario is impossible, of course, because the Oilers aren’t based in the US, but that’s the type of thing that could happen under that legislation.

I agree that it shouldn’t hijack discussion, but I hardly think that post was out of line, all things considered. (And there are American readers here, IIRC.)

OilClog:

My worlds just collided. That’s just about the only thing that hasn’t happened this year, really.

17. Clay says:

I’m not a fan of blaming injuries for loosing either, but whiskey tango effing foxtrot already! It’s not just the man-games lost. Lots of teams have injury problems. But since ’06, it seems this team looses a disproportionate amount of their best players for extended periods.

When was the last time Vancouver had both sisters and Kesler, plus Bieksa, Edler, and Hamhuis all out at the same time, with most of them out for at least several weeks?

How about Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Boyle, Burns, and Vlasic in SJ?

If such a thing happened to one of the better teams, would their fanbase be calling for the coach’s head, or blaming it on bad luck? What if it happened to said teams three years in a row?

18. jake70 says:

“Well it’s about time, Charlie” – loved that line. David Mann prevails in the end though…. ;)

Back in summer of 2007 Kevin Lowe found a Monkey’s Paw.

He had heard the stories about such curiosities, so he closed his eyes and wished for:

1) A billionaire owner
    2) 3 high end forwards from the draft
    3) A new arena

Unfortunately, Mr. Lowe didn’t know the price of monkey paw wishes.

So now the Oilers, like the Frogurt are cursed.

20. TheOtherJohn says:

I am surprised that no one is calling for a suspension on Corey Potter. Douche bag kicked our young superstar Taylor Hall in the head when he was in a vulnerable position. Clear intent to injure. Hope Shanahan throws book at him

21. Bruce McCurdy says:

Clay: What if it happened to said teams three years in a row?

It’s more like six friggin’ years in a row, but who’s counting?

22. VOR says:

Math, at its highest levels, can easily explain what is happening to the Oilers. Essentially, and I am horribly simplifying, if something can happen then in a universe of infinite size and time it will. So this year several teams are simultaneously having almost unimaginable numbers of injuries (Buffalo, Pittsburgh, us). These injuries are happening to key players and often are very strange (Hall, RNH, Crosby’s last concussion, etc.). It almost seems at times like the ice is pissed off and is attacking players. Math would say it isn’t karma, just very obnoxious proof of the randomness of events. We poor humans look for patterns because it is how our brains are wired.

The thing, from a hockey vantage point, is to recognize that in the destruction and chaos there is opportunity. Buffalo is snake bitten and have horrible cap problems made worse by no-trade contracts. Pittsburgh is running on empty. Detroit knows its time is now since several key players will be gone at the end of the season. For very different reasons Nashville’s management may be thinking the same thing.

Oilers management needs to look past the injuries and focus on the opportunities.

23. Ducey says:

edwards_daddy: Twitter has Drew Stafford on the block – is he a fit?

Jim Matheson has been trying to trade him to the Oilers for years as he is buddies with his dad.

He seems to have a knock on him for not bringing it every night. He is not really physical despite his size. He has another three seasons at $4M per. HIs Rel Corsi is around +11 but he plays very easy competition.

I am not a real big Hemsky fan but I’d rather use the Cap space on Hemsky. They are kind of the same player but Hemsky is better.

Now if Buffalo is just giving Stafford away for a 3rd rounder I’d likely take him, but not for anything/ anyone of value. I think the Oilers would likely have to ditch him before his contract is up as they will likely need the Cap space as the kids will need a raise by then and Stafford will likely be a third liner.

24. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”,

So, keep it in line buddy!

25. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Back in summer of 2007 Kevin Lowe found a Monkey’s Paw.

1) A billionaire owner
    2) 3 high end forwards from the draft
    3) A new arena

Unfortunately, Mr. Lowe didn’t know the price of monkey paw wishes.

So now the Oilers, like the Frogurt are cursed.

Mmmmm, monkey paws…

Well done – I dare say woodguy wins the blog…

26. Dipstick says:

They are still paying for 2006. What are the odds of having back to back to back injury plagued seasons? Around the same odds of making it to the finals when entering the playoffs as the low seed.

27. bendelson says:

That’s a positive!

Another positive? No Oiler has been run over by the zamboni… Yet.

% of players around the league that survive to play all 82 games? I’ll guess 10% off the top of my head. That could be generous.

28. bookje says:

bendelson,

Last year, there were 92 players that played in 82 games and two players who played in 83 regular season games. This is out of a potential for 600 different individuals to have played in all 82 games (counting backup goalies who dont set foot on the ice).

29. bendelson says:

bookje,

Thanks for the update (yes I’m too lazy to do the math).

And let me update my post by saying Eager lost games to a concussion (teammate induced of course!)
    And one could argue Renney has been coaching with a concussion most of the year.

30. copperblueandwhite says:

Woodguy,

So WD if we can KLowe and sprinkle goofer dust all around the dressing room can we exorcise these demons before draft day?..If it’s any consolation, I watched LA vs Van last nite…seems there is confrontation among the Canucks…Luongo was stellar, until the SO where he tanked, again!!

31. Bruce McCurdy says:

Don’t forget about the pane of plexiglass that fell on Tambi’s head last spring. That could explain a lot, actually. :/

32. Bruce McCurdy says:

Memo to self – don’t even try to use the quote function on a mobile device. You’re not smart enough

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

Was just trying to add to Bendelson’s jibe about Renney, don’t forget about the plexiglass that fell on Tambi’s head last winter. That too was a weird one.

34. bendelson says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Attempting to use the quote function on a mobile device… Not to suggest intelligence but rather to fly in the face on danger (without wearing a helmet!)

35. Ducey says:

bendelson: Strangest thing about this years ridiculous rash if injuries… Not a single concussion in the group.That’s a positive.

Ben Eager and Alex Plante both missed time with concussions.

36. bookje says:

bendelson:
    That’s a positive!

Yeah, I was just thinking, for all of the injuries, it’s really weird that nobody has had a player jump on their face with their skates like one would expect by now. BTW – I didn’t see the game last night. How did we do? Did Hall get any goals?

37. JAG-041 says:

Clay,

Too true
    a direct comparison like this will have people in an uproar
    but for our top 3 offensive players and 2 of our top defensemen to be out that’s a good 20 minutes (at least) of a game going to players who have less ability at these positions

38. bendelson says:

Ducey,

Thanks Ducey. I already acknowledged my omission of Eagers early season bump to the head from Tulupov and will pretend I didn’t miss Plante’s busted up face and corresponding concussion by claiming he was sent down before the concussion was officially diagnosed. So let’s call that an NHL concussion with missed games in OKC.

39. bendelson says:

Well that’s an injury-free use of the quote function AND reply function from a handheld device (while standing on one leg!). I’m a fucking madman!

40. oilersfan says:

41. RexLibris says:

Vor – great comment about our minds being hard-wired to look for patterns where none exists. This is exactly what has made Dan Brown so much money, preying on the human predilection for conspiracies and grand designs. Also, the math does eventually work out to create aberrations. An example was Steve MacIntyre’s shooting % a few years ago being at 100%. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

What gets me is that the Oilers are always accused, often by commenters and bloggers from rival franchises that have chosen to pursue alternative methods of team-building, of deliberately icing a bad team and trying to fail. While the Fall for Hall season was a bad one where the team that was iced was probably one of the worst in a generation of Oiler fans, no management team could have planned for consecutive franchise-records of man-games lost. I think it is actually a credit to the management group that rather than try to throw some assets overboard in an attempt to gain a little ground in the short term they realized they were sunk and accepted it, turning their misfortune into an opportunity. The same is holding true this season. Any Flames fan criticizing the Oilers right now should ask where their team would be had they lost their top three point-producers and were withouth their top-two defencemen for prolonged periods. Very few teams have the depth to absorb that kind of loss without a drop-off.

My belief is that the Oilers are moving towards that kind of depth on defence, but I worry about the depth on offence. One has to ask: who is our second-best Right Winger after Eberle and assuming we were to trade Hemsky? Same for Left Wing and Centre. If the answer is too precipitous a drop, then we run the risk of being also-rans during this rebuild, rather than true contenders.

The one thing about Hall’s injury that really bugs me: Calgary likely wins this Saturday because of all these injuries and the fans there start chirping about how Feaster’s prediction was correct and that the Oilers are the new Islanders.

42. justDOit says:

I think I know an old Haitian woman who can help us, but we’ll need some toe nail and hair clippings from Pronger’s wife.

43. OilLeak says:

44. Chamucks says:

It’s one thing after another at this point. Only thing I care about this season is 3.2 not fucking up the deadline. Whatever.

“\_( シ)_/”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxJPU_ssn_s (95% chance you won’t like it)

45. bendelson says:

OilLeak,

Yeah – only one puck each in warm-ups and make sure you know where that puck is at all times. Helmets in the showers (it’s slippery after all). Accident avoidance skills such as proper barrel jumping technique for Corey F Potter. Stay 10 ft away from Smid at all times. Your basic run of the mill OH&S stuff.

46. Ducey says:

OilLeak: With all these “Freak” accidents I think its time for the team to hold a safety seminar, protective equipment, general housekeeping at the rink and at home, proper ergonomics, etc. Sounds like simple stuff, but to be safe is to be vigilant at all times, this message would be especially useful to all the young players on the team.

I think Hemsky went to that seminar this off season. They warned him about going into traffic and over exerting himself. They He took his heart their recommendations to heart. Word is he didn’t want to give up his mini stick as it fit in the protective bubble.

47. spoiler says:

oilersfan: Did anyone here watch the TV series, LOST? I am starting to think someone on the Oilers left the Island who wasn’t supposed to leave the Island. Whoever it is go back to the Island. Based on how long they have had bad luck and sucked, I am thinking it is Kevin Lowe. The Oilers injury luck reminds me of what happened to Hurley in the episode where he hadn’t cashed in his lottery ticket.

Okay, whoa! LOST?

LT correctly identified the metaphor of noir movies as a parallel for the Oilers injury situation, even going so far as to cite Franco as a reference, but LOST? I fail to see where a night time soap opera fits in, even if it is pseudo-noir, lol.

Actually, I was hoping the Franco reference would lead to another wonderfully esoteric post by DMW, expanding on the notions of noir and Franco’s synthesis of horror and nudity in his exploration of those same notions.

48. Dalton says:

RNH was supposed to shoulder the burden. Eberle and Gilbert were on their knees, begging. And Hall was scratching his forehead, wondering why Whitney couldn’t foot the bill.

49. spoiler says:

I hope the old Haitian woman doesn’t have United Nations cholera. I don’t want her reading her own entrails.

50. Chamucks says:

Anyone have an update on Suter/Weber? If either are available I doubt we’d be frontrunners unless we sell the farm. But still, how Poile handles that could have a pretty big effect in someones standings.

Still doubt Weber is moved during the season due to him being RFA. That is unless he outright says he won’t sign. Irregardless it has to be the situation to watch over the next several months.

I love Weber and would be willing to offer a huge package for the guy if it were a sign and trade. This years lottery pick + Paarjarvi + Hemsky and maybe even Omark as the cherry. I’m sure it would take that much.

51. spoiler says:

There’s a rumour Detroit will make a big play for Suter during the off-season. If that’s the case, I imagine Nash will do everything they can to keep Weber.

52. Chamucks says:

If Suter isn’t signed by the deadline they may not risk losing him for nothing. But you’re right, if Suter goes they’ll give Weber the stars to stay in Nash.

53. spoiler says:

bookje: “Steve Smith”,Yeah, screw off you communist! This blog is about hockey and/or discussions about the nature of capitalism and the role of institutional economics and other heterodox schools of economic thought that are challenging overly simplistic neoclassical schools of economics that fail to recognize the limits to rationality, the influence of transaction costs, and other forms of market failure. So, keep it in line buddy!

You really don’t get economics, do you? Oh well, at least you understand slanted rhetoric. Must still hurt, though, if you keep hammering away without provocation, like this paragraph, despite the fact it keeps proving to everyone that you just don’t get it. Perhaps ditch the bad-mouthing and actually engage the relevant ideas and practices (if you know the right ones to engage–which, by your several references to ” neo-classical schools of economics” over the past year, you likely don’t).

54. art vandelay says:

Nobody bothered to run with the “Duel” reference? Come on. Spielberg. Dennis Weaver. A malevolent heavy truck.
    Whether it showed on late-night English or French, it was nightmare fuel.

55. DSF says:

Josh Rimer
    @JoshRimerHockey Josh Rimer

Hearing Taylor Hall out for the year
    10 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® Favorite Retweet Reply

56. DSF says:

Franco is still dead.

57. nathan says:

“LT correctly identified the metaphor of noir movies as a parallel for the Oilers injury situation”

Oh it’s past noir now. More like Katzville: The Evil Escapes or Red Green’s Adventures with Bill.

58. art vandelay says:

So Tom Renney is David Mann, looking in the rear-view mirror of his, what was it again, Dodge Dart? And the Columbus Blue Jackets, a faceless, rundown POS, represent the truck bent on mowing him down.

59. bookje says:

spoiler: You really don’t get economics, do you? Oh well, at least you understand slanted rhetoric.Must still hurt, though, if you keep hammering away without provocation, like this paragraph, despite the fact it keeps proving to everyone that you just don’t get it.Perhaps ditch the bad-mouthing and actually engage the relevant ideas and practices (if you know the right ones to engage–which, by your several references to ” neo-classical schools of economics” over the past year, you likely don’t).

Woooooosh, talk about missing the joke! Some guy raised politics, some other guy (Steve actually), said hey buddy, this isn’t the place. I then followed with a humerous remark that this blog is for discussing hockey AND/OR blah blah blah heterodox vs neoclassical econ etc. It was funny because some people here (not naming names) have engaged in such non-hockey related discussions….bah, never mind, I guess I don’t understand getting humour across on the internet either…

It was a Valiant. A Valiant.

61. nathan says:

DSF,

Oilers: “Despite inaccurate reporting, Taylor Hall is NOT out for the season and is looking forward to returning to the lineup as soon as possible”.

Don’t believe ‘em. Check wikipedia.

Hall had a 30-stitch cut. One risks infection bringing him back quickly. I would think he is out till after the all star break.

63. DeadmanWaking says:

For me on-topic is 90% attitude. Once blame enters the room (it always does), you’ve got pretty much the whole of the human condition at your finger tips. You can’t shut that down completely or you end up with small room echo-chamber effects. It’s not that hard, however, to return to the primary themes of pain and beauty as reflected in the hockey microcosm—unless you’re grinding an axe with no pantomime.

If I were feeling witty (I’m not) I could continue with a two paragraph screed on the dynamics of provocation. There’s certainly a lot of provocation on the ice and even the GMs manage a few dust-ups. There’s provocation here (not a great deal more than entertains me, by some miracle of Lowetide’s grace which I don’t understand) and there’s provocation flurries out there on the Intertubes where it’s nothing but provocation all the way down. Provocation is an inbred nephew of blame. Not every red flag deserves a bull. A sense of humour goes a long way.

64. uni says:

DMW has it down. SOPA and PIPA are quick knives in the dark for the USA, and slow drip poison to everyone else…maybe just quick poison to Canada since we’re next door and cater to the US to keep our trade going.

The other niggling thing is that I’m sure they’ll just keep quiet for a bit, then the powerful lobbyists and their Congress/Senate cronies will trot out more bills like this, one after another, until they can slip one by clandestinely or tack it onto the end of another bill, like the “War Orphans Act” or something inane like that. All it takes is a foothold, then it’s a long slow decent down that slope.

Just look at the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the ‘law’ that is behind the majority of site shutdowns right now for even suspicion of ‘copyright infringement’, is actually under the Department of Homeland Security, and is an offshoot of the Patriot Act. Yeah…that MP3 download was terrorism…we can’t let the terrorists win.

65. Dalton says:

Chamucks:

N-O, NO!

WRONNNGGGGG, please go back to the drawing board.

66. Dalton says:

DeadmanWaking: SOPA is pertinent in Canada as a Mad Max boomerang coated with a slow-drip poison. The history of these initiatives is to have many zombie resurrections until it sticks in the gullet of a hegemonic economy, and then to have treaties negotiated in secrecy until it vectors to all major trading partners through a rubber-stamp democratic ratification process (sometimes the citizenry is smart enough to bounce the treaty-commitment cheque-in-the-mail if the strident minority opens eyes faster than the pols can ram it through). When the first American hockey blog goes dark due to a SOPA action—or sheds the content that made it worth visiting in the first place to adopt a posture of blameless contrition—we can have our group shitstorm then.

Some parts of the world, like England, are going in the other direction, though, and easing copyright restrictions to respond to emerging sensibilities and modern ways of thinking about IP protection and prosecution.