G52 Red Wings at Oilers

Every great team since 1967 spring can point to the draft as a major source of raw materials for their dynasty. NHL teams figured out the importance of the draft long ago, but it doesn’t always work; sometimes the light switch does nothing when engaged, sometimes the tumblers don’t tumble, sometimes there’s a friggin’ in the riggin’.

Most often, the rebuild takes much longer than expected.

Marcel Dionne was an exceptional young player in the spring of 1971. Scouts had Dionne and Guy Lafleur graded out as the top amateurs in the land, and when the Red Wings called his name in 1971 it should have been the beginning of a run to glory. Things started out well enough, Gordie Howe nicknamed him “Little Beaver” and early on it became obvious Dionne would be a prolific scorer in the NHL.

That was 1971-72. Just a few short years later, Dionne forced his way out of Detroit. The story is long, so it comes in bits:

If you click on the first one, you can read the entire story. Bottom line for Detroit: in his 4 seasons there, Dionne’s coaches were Johnny Wilson, Ted Garvin, Alex Delvecchio and Doug Barkley. The worst GM in NHL history presided over the mess and is got so bad Gordie retired, Dionne walked and darkness fell over Hockeytown.

This isn’t darkness with Harkness, but if the Oilers don’t start winning games consistently and pushing for the playoffs then bad things will happen. Not signing Ales Hemsky doesn’t do the 12-13 Oilers any favors, and trading him for picks and prospects means you are moving back the wins again. At some point, teenagers grow into young men and agents have the long term view for their clients.

The Edmonton Oilers are owned by Darryl Katz, relatively new to the franchise running industry and sure to make a few missteps along the way. The Dustin Penner trade a year ago meant Oscar Klefbom was an Oiler and someday he can help. However, should the Oilers deal Ales Hemsky for picks and prospects, I think we can begin to ask some questions that will be uncomfortable.

Questions like “how many years will Taylor Hall and Oscar Klefbom be on the same team?”

Despite what Alex Delvecchio said in that 37-year old article posted, Marcel Dionne didn’t leave for dollars, it wasn’t about the money. It was about survival: sooner or later things have to get better or the frustration becomes too much. Ask Marcel Dionne, ask Rick Nash.

Ask Papillon.

414 Responses to "G52 Red Wings at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. spoiler says:

stevezie,

Jesus mate. Quit skriken yer e’en eawt and get PVR.
    ;o)
    Impressive tho.

2. Ducey says:

What did Tambo say about Hemsky on After Hours?

The friggin CBC website is useless.

3. HBomb says:

spoiler:
    stevezie,

Jesus mate. Quit skriken yer e’en eawt and get PVR.
    ;o)
    Impressive tho.

If my “read” on this Stevzie character is correct, he’s not going to buy PVR based on the fact he’ll go long stretches without spending money on things such as razors. Just a wild guess, mind you.

4. HBomb says:

What do Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Claude Giroux, Steve Stamkos, and Nicklas Backstrom have in common?

They’re the only five NHL players with a higher points-per-game number this season than Jordan Eberle’s 1.08. Good grief….

HBomb:

They’re the only five NHL players with a higher points-per-game number this season than Jordan Eberle’s 1.08.Good grief….

That’s planning.

6. LMHF#1 says:

What I love most about Eberle? He struggled at times tonight and comes away with two.

He is currently and will remain the best of our bunch.

7. HBomb says:

Woodguy: He costs 1.1M against a 63M cap and The Master Evaluator’s big FA signing was bought out of his last contract.

That’s planning.

Woodguy: it gets better (worse?) when you look at ESP/60 on BTN. It’s lagging behind by a few games, but it’s got Eberle clear of all players 5-on-5 not named Evgeni Malkin.

8. "Steve Smith" says:

wuthering: No, SS definitely is a hater . . . and there are others

I hate that Cam Barker is on the Oilers, and I really hate these rumours that the Oilers are going to qualify him. He is (by NHL standards) a terrible, terrible hockey player. So I guess that makes me a hater, although I don’t think I’d characterize myself as a Barker hater, per se.

(I have also been drinking.)

9. spoiler says:

Sam Gagner with 7 SOG tonight.

Eberle’s what, 13th in scoring and a couple of 3 point nights away from assaulting the upper reaches. If Gagner’s light really has flicked on then Ebs will get there.

And those PPG #s are unreal.

Hemmer, Smyth and Whitney with 2 each tonight. Whitney might not have the wheels back but there’s nothing wrong with his vision and passing.

10. Schitzo says:

Was at the game tonight, my random thoughts:

- Crowd was buzzing right from the start – I assume a combination of Saturday game and Thursday’s heroics. No kids up in the drunk and rowdy section, which was a good thing.

- Never seen a 4 min roughing given out in that context before. Baffling at the time, not getting any clearer with hindsight.

- Fans have turned on Horc so bad it’s unsalvageable. Put the poor bastard out of his misery. It’s beyond rational – someone was complaining that Renney plays him too much and Horc doesn’t deserve it. I ask the guy how you explain MacT, Quinn, and Renney all giving Horc significant ice time. (There are comebacks to this, the biggest being “no better option whatsoever”). Buddy had no response, because he wasn’t complaining from his head – this is a visceral gut hatred that’s going on right now.

- Gagner has the keys to the city right now – fans aware that it would be insane to trade a 22 year old (for example, he turns the puck over and one witty fellow shouts out “trade him, he’s over the hill! More 18 year olds!”). Warmed my heart a little, as I have a soft spot for commentary via sarcasm. Can’t imagine the Oilers moving him, they showed a highlight reel of his 8 points before the game started tonight. Why build the love just to move him?

- Hemsky has lost the benefit of the doubt. One play in the third, he pokechecks the Detroit forward at our faceoff dot, puck trickles to the corner. He sees the D (Whitney?) will win the race and peels up the boards for the breakout pass. Fan’s comment? “Great job Hemsky, give up on the play you fucking bum”.

- LOVE the 1D 2F kill in a 5-on-3 situation. No idea what makes it so effective, but it works.

- Smid is the modern Ulanov. Pain threshold of a corpse. Is he our Volchenkov?

- Is Horcoff hurt, or is Renney insane? How do you not put 10 in the shootout given his track record?

- Tambellini should be tied to a chair with his eyes pried open, Clockwork Orange style, and forced to watch the last ten minutes of the first period on loop. Once Hemsky was out, our lines were absolutely shot – there was no way to cobble together a second scoring line with the Nuge. If they move Hemsky, WHAT IS THE PLAN?

- I think I offended the dudes in the row behind me. They were talking about one buddy missing the game to spend time with his wife. I meant to make the joke “he’s spending time with the opposite sex? That’s so gay”. It just came out as “his wife? that’s so gay”. They didn’t see the humour and called me on being offensive and I felt bad :(

11. spoiler says:

Some interesting TOI totals… Smyth and Horc were absolutely flogged out there. Must’ve been a PK skew. Hemmer with 11 in his last 13, I believe.

12. stevezie says:

HBomb,

You know me well, literally I suspect.

I Know a lot of people around here were really impressed with Barker last night, but I can’t say I was one of them. He is definitely an upgrade on Teubert, and I’m willing to cut him slack on being back from injury, but I thought he was mediocre. I wouldn’t be mad if the team gave him the rest of the season to audition fo next year, but I don’t understand why there is next to no talk of moving him at the deadline. Could he have that much less value than Sutton? Culd he have more? Isn’t this worth exploring?

BBe

stevezie:
    HBomb,

You know me well, literally I suspect.

Being better than Tuebert doesn’t mean that you are good. It means you are better than Tuebert.

A lot of the players are saying tis good to have Whitney and Barker back as the break out passes are where they should be. That probably means the team prefers them to Peckham and Tuebert.

If Barker wasn’t such a defensive disaster, his passing ability would be good to have on a 3rd pairing.

14. cabbiesmacker says:

stevezie,

Why is it necessary for there to be talk of moving him for it to happen?

A lot of people view Barker in the macro while watching the other Dmen through the other end of the binoculars. They ALL made mistakes last night and Barkers were no more glaring.

« Older Comments