G55 Oilers at Senators

There are things that can be salvaged from a lost season. Magnus Paajarvi was lost early, worse later and by the time they sent him to the minors everyone (including the kid) thought it was a good idea. If MP can gain some confidence and finish strong, well that’s one fewer question to answer over the summer.

32 years ago Bryan Murray was a coach for the Regina Pats, and success there got him an NHL gig. Murray is one of a very few hockey men to successfully parlay a good coaching resume into a career as a General Manager. Murray had 620 wins (7th all-time) as coach and did some fine GM work in Anaheim after arriving to a shambles.

Murray has been the GM in Ottawa since June of 2007. His Ottawa career is most famous for the Dany Heatley fiasco–plus the Stanley run as coach–but there are good things happening in the nation’s capital. Murray’s Anaheim career is perhaps a good comparable for what’s brewing with the Senators.

BRYAN MURRAY: “To me, it’s not about the player being traded or acquired all the time; it’s the message you send to your players. When you get the better player or you make a trade that you can tell as being a positive for the team, that message is very loud in the room. I don’t know that David Poile and I totally understood that at the time with the Capitals, and I think it affected our playoffs on a couple of occasions.”

That’s a quote from the NHL GM book I’ve been reading (Beyond the Moves) and I wonder what kind of message sending away Ales Hemsky might mean in the Oiler room. Is it “good riddance to bad rubbish” or is it “and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free?”

Nation Radio is back on the air today, we’ll talk about hockey day in Canada (sharing memories) and talk trade deadline with:

• Jason Gregor who conducted a dynamite interview with Bobby Holik this week.
  • Jonathan Willis who had some great insight into Jordan eberle’s season.
  • Kent Wilson who will pass along the latest from the Flames nation.
  • Cam Charron who will give us an update from Vancouver and some WHL inside stuff.

Noon, Team 1260 and the entire show will be up at Oilers Nation in the next day or so. Early game, don’t forget. Emails with comments or questions for our guests are always welcome at nationradio@theteam1260.com and you can also check out twitter @ItsNationRadio or @Lowetide_  this afternoon.

149 Responses to "G55 Oilers at Senators"

1. Jonathan Willis says:

I’d love to hear more about Behind the Moves. I ordered my copy the other day, can’t wait for it to arrive.
    I know there’s no Oilers Limited Edition, LT – did you get the regular copy or do something that would offend Dennis, like buy a Montreal LE?

2. spoiler says:

I’ve read that teams are keeping an eye on Turco waltzing his way through games in the Tyrols, but is there no interest in Khabby?

Would the Hawks have interest in a package of Sutton and Khabby? They’re falling fast and need to do something about playing the South Side of the puck.

I’ve been thinking about Beach (and beaches but not Bette Midler). He’s given indications of being capable of a 2nd line power forward role. RWer. Big and mean. Would be a nice fit alongside the speedy waterbugs.

Jonathan: Darcy (Woodguy) was kind enough to gift me with a fresh, unopened edition. According to the cover it is the “professional” edition.

4. commonfan14 says:

Interesting thought on messages.

If no good offers come in for Hemmer, is making a show of holding on to him and trying to hammer out a deal right up through July 1st more valuable than a 2nd round pick if he ends up walking for nothing?

Could be, I suppose – if it’s seen as a really positive show of commitment by all the other guys.

5. spoiler says:

If Hemmer is traded for a pick and a prospect, that’s not a message, it’s an obituary.

6. copperblueandwhite says:

“The biggest mistakes in our business are made because you get excited. We all think that one player will make a big difference when it seldom does. There are usually four, six or eight teams that have legitimate shots at getting to the conference finals or the finals. So we all overpay at the deadline because we think we’re close. The deadline is where we make the most mistakes of all.” Brian Burke (Behind the Moves)

I’d much rather see my team do what the Oilers did in ’06 than what Chicago is apparently planning right now. I like the Nashville plan, where they try to add very good players at the deadline and then perhaps sign them later on.

Doing nothing is death imo. Why bother? Even Detroit needs to add at the deadline.

All my life I’ve fallen ass backwards into good luck.

This Christmas I received 2 copies of that book, and when LT posted that he didn’t get one it was a natural fit.

For those not familiar with the book, it has no opinions from the author, its mostly a book of quotes and stories from GM’s.

That doesn’t mean the author doesn’t push a point now and then though.

Case in point is the Kevin Lowe section.

Lowe is quoted twice talking about how can separate his emotions from the business part:

“Maybe at time I’ve appeared to have taken a hard line with people, but I can really separate the feelings…”

“..maybe if I had been a little less business-like in the Ryan Smyth deal and allowed myself to bring the feelings into the whole thing a little more, that it’s unlikely things would hav ended that way”

Then there are quotes from other GM’s about Lowe:

“Kevin is a hot tempered guy and an emotional guy” – George McPhee

“He had a pretty good temper”-Glen Sather

Its seems that Vish has a self picture that is different than how others seem him.

This quote is a beauty too:

“I can’t say that I like him as a player. That doesn’t mean that I didn’t respect him as a player. You get an idea of playing against a guy…but I guess you have to go into the GM relationship with an open mind when you’re talking” – Paul Holmgren

Lowe went from Assistant Coach, to Head Coach to GM in 3 years. Then after failing there he’s the president.

I’m not sure he suited to any of those jobs.

9. spoiler says:

Ottawa has been a very streaky team. I’d be curious to know if those streaks coincide with homestands and road trips. Their Home and Away records imply that there’s some correlation there. And I think this is reasonable to expect from young teams. Even at a young age, youthful talent can already beat up on half the league, but they can’t yet handle the top end.

If the Oilers youth could handle the toughs, would this team be in a playoff race right now?

I suspect they would. If that was the case how much change would this roster really need?

Well obviously a healthy 83 & 6 would be a useful change. But beyond that, how much change? And is it moot till the kids prove they can do it, or should that step be anticipated?

10. spoiler says:

WG, great stuff.

I’ve met most of the boys on the bus, mostly through working for Psalios at the end of their (and his) heyday.

Out of the whole bunch, only one was a complete dick in person. Yup. PresidentoftheteamKevinLowe. Although Anderson had his times, depending on his mood.

I think the Oilers have a good chance today, Khabby notwithstanding.

In the last 2 road games the Oiles have been out-scored 10-5.

For even-strength goals they’ve been outscored 9-4

If you remove the empty net goal vs. TOR and every 5v5 goal for/against that Barker has been on for the Oilers outscored TOR/DET 4-2.

Ridiculous how much 1 bad #6 Dman can affect the outcome of games.

If DD was starting and Anderson wasn’t, I’d say that Oilers at +130 are value.

With Khabby in and Anderson in (although lately he’s not unreal), +130 is probably close enough that’s there’s not a ton of value there, but I still hit the Oilers.

I’d hit the Oilers in regulation at +220 for a unit just for the comedy of it.

Go Oilers!

12. Braden28 says:

If you’re looking for a hockey book, “Future Greats and Heartbreaks” – by Gare Joyce is a great read for draft junkies. It’s behind the scenes of a Columbus scouting staff in 2006., including in the war room.

Woodguy,

Lowe succeeded and then failed as GM. It is unfair to say that he only failed. As a GM with money he failed. But as a GM without money, he iced a team that competed for the playoffs by making some very good bargain free agent signings and some very good trades. (See Glen Sather when he first had money in New York, or Darcy Regier this year in Buffalo. Money makes you stupid.)

Lowe and MacT kept the franchise alive during its darkest days, and most people here don’t give them enough credit for that.

Both did go “mad” after losing Game 7, or it was the money and the higher expectations.

14. stevezie says:

Is Lowe really a failure as a GM? He made some great moves, then he made some terrible moves. History tends to give more weight to success than failure, and he definitely had some.

15. Ducey says:

I don’t think thats completely fair.

He was a Roloson injury from winning a Cup.

16. Gerta Rauss says:

Anybody on the West coast have Shaw and can see the game in the guide this morning..?

I’ve got Shaw home cable(not the satellite) and the Center Ice package..but I don’t see the game in my guide. Channel 209 CBC has Hockey day, but the first game at 11am is listed as Winnipeg. I didn’t see the game listed in the PPV section late last night but sometimes they’ll update the guide closer to game time(I’m at work right now)
    I see the game listed on ch 79 CBC Ottawa, but I don’t subscribe to that channel and it’s blacked out.

Any update would be appreciated.-thanks.

Gerta: it’ll be on cbc.ca if it comes to that.

18. Gerta Rauss says:

Yeah,but I’m a High Def snob and I could call the brother and have him set the PVR-and the boss has some irrational idea that I should be working.

19. FPB94 says:

Hey at least the Sam Gagner case is clear now.

I tought MPS getting PP time was a great move. Hate when they do that to Eller in MTL (Stick him to ES).

I’d be curious if management is shopping him (MPS).

Anyway. A double win tonight would do wonders.

Go oil, go habs.

godot10:
    Woodguy,

Lowe succeeded and then failed as GM.It is unfair to say that he only failed.As a GM with money he failed.But as a GM without money, he iced a team that competed for the playoffs by making some very good bargain free agent signings and some very good trades. (See Glen Sather when he first had money in New York, or Darcy Regier this year in Buffalo.Money makes you stupid.)

I agree with most of that.

The farm system withered and died under his watch as well.

I’m not sure he tried to keep it alive and was told there was no $, or if it died of neglect.

Here’s another quote from Lowe:

“…When I took over was really the height of the “haves” and the “have-nots”…I never knew whether I was doing a good job or not. It was just completely like, “Let’s get to the end [of the season] and then regroup and try to do it all again. Because we were having to do deals like [dumping the salaries of Bill Guerin and] Doug Weight and guys like that, we never could get a good assessment of how were were drafting, overall”

That’s a quote from a man overwhelmed by his job.

I’m not sure how how trading away Guerin and Weight due to money issues kept him from assessing how his company was drafting and developing.

Its possible to do both.

Mind you, this from from the guy who wouldn’t return Glencrosses phone call because he was chasing Hossa.

Its possible to do more than one thing at once.

21. "Steve Smith" says:

Ducey: He was a Roloson injury from winning a Cup.

This narrative has always bothered me. Of the four games we lost in that series, which would we have won without the Roloson injury? Is it the first one, where Roloson himself had completely collapsed and given up a three goal lead? Game two, where the Oilers couldn’t muster any offence at all? Or one of games four or seven, where Jussi Markkanen provided starter-quality goaltending and the Oilers managed one goal?

I mean, your overall point – that Kevin Lowe has had, albeit fleeting, success as a GM – is well-taken. But I’m tired of this notion that 2006 would have turned out differently if Roloson hadn’t been hurt.

Ducey:

I don’t think thats completely fair.

He was a Roloson injury from winning a Cup.

You are right that they came really close to winning the cup.

That’s the reason he’s even in the book we are talking about. It profiles all the GM’s who made it to the Cup final.

After that he destroyed the franchise.

This is the 6th year out of the playoffs and 3rd in a row near the bottom.

He does say:

“I guess in hindsight, with what I know now, at some point I would have gone to ownership – but I didn’t have that kind of experience – to say, “Let’s just break it right down,”

I think he recognizes now he didn’t have the experience to be a GM

That’s been the MO of this organization for a long time, with both players and executives.

Put people in a position above their ability/experience and then wonder what went wrong when it goes wrong.

Except LaForge.

That bastard does know how to sell.

Although in Edmonton selling NHL hockey is like selling water in the desert, so maybe he’s not as good as his track record.

23. FPB94 says:

You guys just don’t know Rejean Houle.

24. cabbiesmacker says:

spoiler:

Out of the whole bunch, only one was a complete dick in person.Yup. PresidentoftheteamKevinLowe. Although Anderson had his times, depending on his mood.

Craig MacTavish on the other hand? Pompous jerk

Oiler head office and anyone involved with marketing and sales? Most arrogant, entitled asshats you could imagine and by far the most demanding of any of the Canadian teams. Says a lot when the Habs and Leafs are in the equation.

I think thats the biggest problem with the Oilers today to be honest. They’re caught in some sort of time warp that makes them think it’s the 80′s, they’re a good team and still winning cups. If thats a refelction of Lowe’s management style then so be it.

25. spoiler says:

Cabbie,

Yeah, I’ve heard that Lowe has mellowed and others have told me of good experiences too, which is why I rarely mention my own. Could be the environment I was seeing him in too. Or maybe he’s just better at a public face now, dunno. But arrogant, entitled asshat would certainly have typified what I saw of him then.

26. Traktor says:

Lowetide’s post assumes that players have an affinity for winning and thus notice any roster moves that could have an impact on the potential to win games (moving Hemsky for a less established player could be seen as a negative in the eyes of some current Oilers). I think that’s reasonable.

Looking down the same path, is it reasonable to assume that current Oilers would look at the contract and performance of Shawn Horcoff and conclude that he is a downward arrow when it comes to icing a potential cup contending hockey team?

What does Sam Gagner think when Horcoff gets 1st unit PP time even though the past 2 years (3 if we include this year) Gagner has been much more successful at producing points?

Do Gagner’s teammates notice that Shawn Horcoff played 22+ minutes last game compared to Sam’s 17+ minutes even though Gagner has more points in his last 4 games than Horcoff has in his last 34 games?

Can we also assume that players want to be paid in relation to their peers and a Hemsky contract could potentially have an impact on one of his teammates?

Aside from winning hockey games, accountability and equal opportunity are also needed in order to foster positive morale in the dressing room.

27. art vandelay says:

^ this

28. "Steve Smith" says:

Traktor, you’re descending into self-parody. Which is arguably a good defensive measure, since it discourages me from parodying you. But you’re misusing “affinity” as you do it.

29. copperblueandwhite says:

Woodguy,

TheScore has OTT at -165 (5.5) which is way too much…imo…I see lucky #13 is in the press box….Oilers have a good chance in this one.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, it looks like Gary is a no-go tonight. Can I get a confirmation on that? Is Sutton back in?

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

copperblueandwhite,

somehow you answered my question before I asked it… amazing!

32. TheOtherJohn says:

Ducey

So you are suggesting the totality of Lowe’s success is 06 and if Vancouver wins a single additional game we miss the playoffs. So when you say 1 win away from the Cup, we were also a single win by an opponent from missing playoffs and then Lowe has to deal with a roster full of UFA and RFA’s. How’d that work out again?

Godot

Nashville had all of the same problems as Lowe Pre cap ($$) and they spent money on their development system. All they do is make the playoffs year after year after year

33. spoiler says:

Gerta, it’s on 209 on my Shaw box.

34. Traktor says:

Steve Smith:

Thanks. If you flunk law school you will make a great proofreader on hockey blogs.

35. spoiler says:

“A painting and a puck? I put in a thousand frickin games–where’s my gold Rolex, bitchez?”

36. Lucinius says:

I’m sure he can afford to buy his own.

37. skidplate says:

No Scott Oake, but goof God, Greg Millen, really

38. spoiler says:

Lucinius, I’m sure he can too.

39. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler,

thanks-I’m recording 209 and I’ll have to hope that they are showing the Oilers game in BC

40. Rebilled says:

This has 12 shot game written all over it.

TheOtherJohn:

Godot

Nashville had all of the same problems as Lowe Pre cap ($$)and they spent money on their development system. All they do is make the playoffs year after year after year

I think you are misremembering.

Nashville made the playoffs once in the six seasons before the lockout, once in the last three seasons before the lockout. Nashville made the playoffs the year after the lockout.

Edmonton made the playoffs four times in the six seasons before the lockout, once in the last three season before the lockout. Edmonton made the SC final the year after the lockout.

OT:

Mrs. Phillips is still pretty stunning in her thirties, even after popping three out of the oven.

Oh those days back at the Bulldog on Elgin in the late nineties.

43. Bar_Qu says:

cabbiesmacker: My experiences were quite the opposite although my dealings were more in the late 90′s / early 2000′s timeframe. I found Lowe to be very open, congenial, and totally willing to talk any aspect of the team or the NHL.

Craig MacTavish on the other hand? Pompous jerk

Not meaning to be critical (ok, maybe a little) but if alot of time is spent here criticising people for using anecdotal evidence to judge the value of a hockey team, I think we should be a little suspicious of anecdotal evidence to judge a GM (or coach, or player, or trainer, or etc). We might all have incidental contact with the hockey team (shoot, I met Eberle’s mom just after the draft and we chatted about her son’s experiences with the organisation, and I live in Calgary not Edmonton) but I don’t know that any of that interaction is sufficient to judge the merit of an individual. If you met me in a mall with my kids in tow, you might find me cold and unfriendly only because I care more about losing the 3 r old in the crowd than kibitizing; but I’m a totally different person in the workplace. Similarly, I have found Kelly Hrudey to be a bit of a jerk every time I dealt with him, but then again, I was always passing along the $2000 bill for fixing his truck, so perhaps context matters there.

My point is, lets judge these guys on their accomplishments, not on hearsay. For instance, a GM who performs at the bottom of the league every year he is the GM, likely a crap GM. A president of hockey ops who hires the guy who leads the team to the bottom, is likely not very good either (especially if he espouses support every year). A coach who cannot manage a bench effectively in any road game, imo, raises suspicion of his abilities, especially when keeping lesser players over better ones because he likes them better. As fans, I think we have the right to make those kinds of judgements, and not the former.

44. spoiler says:

At least they’re being even-handed about post-giveaway tripping calls.

45. LMHF#1 says:

They are not playing well. Ugly. Need to change the breakout as OTT has it played. Not sure if Renney will notice.

46. LMHF#1 says:

OTT is giving us the point shot in the offensive zone and we’re
    showing we cant do anything with it.

47. Lucinius says:

The defensive zone play has been horrid thus far; just like it has been for a long time. Its just as if they have no idea where everyone else is or their assignments. Throwing it where there’s no support and being out-battled cleanly for pucks.

This is horrible.

1 organized break out in the first 15 minutes.

So OTT has an owner who comes on TV and talks about the rebuild, timelines, and expectations.

In Edmonton we get the murky “2nd year of rebuild” thrown out from unnamed sources once a year.

50. spoiler says:

Two, TWO breakouts! Mwuahahahaha.

51. LMHF#1 says:

Why in hell are they still going up the boards?

I like how Mr. Badbodylanguage catches two OTT players on the backcheck, takes them both out and gets the puck.

Imagine if he didn’t leave the ice after practice or cared?

53. "Steve Smith" says:

Rob Brown and Bob Stauffer ripping Renney a new one on allocation of icetime that period. I’m listening, not watching, so hard to tell if it’s justified.

54. FPB94 says:

Horcoff:

Corsi REL: -3,5
    Corsi ON: -8,5
    +-/60: -0,38
    QC: 2nd (F)
    QT: 4th (F)
    PDO: 977

4v5 GAon60: 5,82

Meh. He’s not that terrible, holding the waters. Definitly should not have 22 mins. And should look for other PK options.

Not a year has Horcoff been anything more than average. (82% max) and garbage at times. (Last year and this year)

55. Traktor says:

5×5

Horcoff 4:28
    Hall 1:56

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:

Imagine if he didn’t leave the ice after practice or cared?

I caught that too… pretty amazing what you might see on the ice when you watch the game instead of buying into various well-worn narratives…

57. spoiler says:

“Steve”…

Only Eager got less TOI than Hall & Ebs.

58. Traktor says:

5×5

Eager 2:53
    Hall 1:56

59. Traktor says:

If you are thinking Hall might be injured Eberle and Gagner played less 5×5 than Petrell.

60. skidplate says:

Wow, what a save!

61. "Steve Smith" says:

Yeah, I saw the ToI totals; I just wasn’t sure to what extent those decisions, bizarre on their face, may have been justified by play.

62. FPB94 says:

Steve: Rarely do i see veterans get the same treatment. Honest it’s a great way to fuck up your locker room.

63. Ducey says:

Huh?

Most teams that win a championship have a close shave somewhere along the way. Getting to G 7 of the Cup final is an achievement.

I was just trying to fair, rather than piling on – try it sometime.

64. spoiler says:

Well Hall cut two of his shifts short with tripping penalties, and Ebs was on for the goal against, but the distribution still seems a bit bizarre.

65. sliderule says:

I think Renney benched Hall for the last part of first period.Probably because of two penalties .They had a shot of him sitting with mps looking pretty pissed.

66. spoiler says:

Really bad giveaway by Eberle there, followed by an insightful play by ‘Orey Potter.

67. skidplate says:

Maggie is on fire. Nice rush by Hemsky

68. Lucinius says:

Paajarvi!

He’s going to catch Smid now.. maybe.

About time. Nice effort from the Bad Man, as well.

69. spoiler says:

B.A. Hemsky does all the work and Paajarvi finishes. Finally.

70. skidplate says:

Horcoff of course had to get that easy 2nd assist.

71. crude says:

You could see the relief on Paajarvi’s face. Good for him. Nice kid.

72. TheOtherJohn says:

Actually you were trying to equate lightning in a bottle to management success. They had lots of close games in that play-off. Difference was they made the playoffs on last weekend of the season. Have zero clue how someone can run management that piss poor for that long and many here keep giving them benefit of doubt

At least we shut up with the “Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Chicago” models because we will be 1-2 years into Hall and Eberle contracts before we have a chance at two playoff series in a single season

Godot

You are not comparing an expansion franchise’s early record with the Oilers? I fully understand why someone would make that mistake though. My argument was Nashville has strict $$ constraints and they drafted, developed, traded for and ran a first class show with little $$. It can be done. Lowe decided he wanted all of his $$ on his NHL roster. Nashville never took that approach. we can’t even compete with them spending more $$

73. crude says:

Hemsky taketh away.

74. wordbird says:

Paajarvi! Woo! Got him in my pool!

75. wordbird says:

Which is why i’m 3rd last in my pool!

76. spoiler says:

Fucking Gong Show started by B.A. Hemsky, who gives one back.

77. skidplate says:

Way to go Eager. Nice wheels and shot!

78. spoiler says:

Beaver with a tally.

TheOtherJohn,

That is why I gave 6, and 3 year breakdowns. The three years before the lockout and the one after. Lowe had better results than Poile, on a budget except for the post lockout year.

You are forgetting that Poile was really on the hotseat at the time of the lockout since Nashville had only barely squeaked into the playoffs once.

Hemsky has a bad attitude.

Nice to see 91 tie up a Dman in the slot too to make 10 wide open.

81. "Steve Smith" says:

I didn’t like the body language on that play.

82. spoiler says:

At this rate, Jones is guaranteed to score. Bad Attitude is certainly high event.

83. skidplate says:

Old stone hands gets a beauty. Was that Hemsky again. Two good plays, one horrible

84. Lucinius says:

Bad Man deciding he felt bad about the goal against, I guess.

So..

Gagner’s due at least a point tonight. C’mon!

85. skidplate says:

Maggie off the post. Having a good game.

86. Lucinius says:

Sigh. Bad Man hurt :(

87. spoiler says:

Now THAT was bad body language.

and Hemksy shows the one big bogey with him.

Fragility.

Looks like right shoulder.

89. "Steve Smith" says:

Trade value down?

Probably doesn’t add to the Oilers’ chances of re-signing him, especially if they’ve decided not to.

90. spoiler says:

He’s back on.

91. Lucinius says:

Wow. Sutton was channeling Barker on that play.

92. skidplate says:

Well maybe no one else will want him so he will sign in Edm

93. spoiler says:

skidplate:
    Well maybe no one else will want him so he will sign in Edm

My guess is that it comes down to return. Someone offers enough, Tambo will take it. But I fear that bar is nowhere near high enough.

94. Lucinius says:

Soft play by Petry there. You just can’t do that. He’d been looking good tonight, too.

95. jake70 says:

Thank you CBC for giving me, a Canadian taxpayer, living in Canada, the Winnipeg-Pttsburgh game and allowing me to catch the last 6mi n of the third of Edm-Ott, 2 Canadian teams, one based closer to me than Winnipeg……FFS.

96. spoiler says:

How many times have we heard the phrase “bouncing puck” this game?

97. spoiler says:

Jake, if you’re in BC, I gotta warn you… Gerta’s gonna be mad when he gets home.

98. skidplate says:

Thing of beauty!!!

99. "Steve Smith" says:

Good thing he was so well-rested.

100. Kert says:

Wow, OT is easy.

101. Lucinius says:

Nice and quick there. Great hustle by Hall.

102. spoiler says:

And the puck bounce goes our way. Nice.

103. OilClog says:

beauty

104. wordbird says:

#4!

Horcoff with 3 points.
    Hemsky with 2 points.
    Pajaarvi with 2 points.

I guess that’s what happens when 4-89-14 see 1st pairing D and 10-83 bring it.

That was the 3rd game in a row where 10-83 saw 2nd pairing D, about time they made some hay.

Don’t trade Hemsky.

106. DBO says:

And that is why he’ll score 40 one year. He drives hard to the net. Eberle and Gagner also score near the net as well. All we need is MPS to start going to the hard areas and he’ll turn it around.

Man I look forward to having real elite dmen on this team that know how to play in their own zone Maybe all these shots against will make the Hawks deal for Bulin. Bulin and Sutton together may get us a 2nd. And Chicago would be a better team for it.

Hall is okay, I guess. If you go in for that kind of thing.

108. SK Oiler Fan says:

Great job recognizing it was Spezza defending, then what a burst of speed! From 2nd gear to 6th in 2 strides. Amazing talent.
    Can’t believe they won that one after the first period – NK held them in there.

109. DBO says:

And if it’s the Nuge with Hemsky and MPS suddenly we have 2 actual topend lines. ANd Horc goes back with Smyth and Jones, and maybe Petrell get the pine, so Lander plays with Belanger and Eager.

DBO:

I think I like 89 with 83 better than 93, but two actual scoring lines with:

94-10-28
    55-20-28

Would be a decent forward corps.

Still light at C, but better than the forwards have been here in a long time.

Now add 2 top 4 Dmen in the offseason…..and a goalie…

111. Wolfie says:

I missed everything but the last 10 minutes and OT. Sure is nice of Ottawa to honour Taylor Hall pre-game. They must have known he was going to score the winner…

112. Traktor says:

94-10-28
    55-20-28

Would be a decent forward corps.

Still light at C, but better than the forwards have been here in a long time.

Now add 2 top 4 Dmen in the offseason…..and a goalie…

I know you’re a huge Jones fan but that might be overworking him.

113. DBO says:

woodguy: you may be right. I just figured RNH can play with anyone. I actually wonder if this is a better option for depth:

4-89-14
    ??UFA?-93-83
    94-10-91
    55-20-28
    Lander as a reserve or top line in AHL.

Harsky in that 2nd LW would bring some size to the top 6, and MPS has the defensive awareness and speed to add some offense to the third line. And i’d like to see MPS on the PK as well, let him use that reach and speed to add a speed dimension to our PK. Or Penner on the cheap would slide nicely into that 2 LW spot.

114. cabbiesmacker says:

DBO:

A second addresses very little of the NOW unless it’s part of a pkg going the other way. Nyet to draft picks and yes to more NHL ready players now.

115. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler,

ffs
    the brother in law texted me asking why i was recording the Winnipeg game so at that point I checked out the score and came here for details.

What happened to Hemsky..did he get carted off on a stretcher..before the end of the game no doubt,the lazy ass…

116. Smarmy says:

I live in Sask which is rich Jets territory so I missed this show. Wished I coulda seen MPS’s first marker.

117. Smarmy says:

Was it mentioned that Bunz got a dui?

Dalton Thrower would be great in Oiler silks. He’s in this third dub season so the offense won’t be as good as it looks but my goodness he’s better then Marincin and Musil and he is probably there with our second pick.

Traktor: I know you’re a huge Jones fan but that might be overworking him.

Oops. My bias is showing.

Meant 23 on the 3rd and 28 on the 4th.

But Hemsky is gone so probably penci in 23 in his spot and 58 on the 4th and 28 on the 3rd.

Meant 56, not 58 in above.

Missed the edit window.

Typing is hard.

120. mattwatt says:

I know many on here want MPS to drive to the net a lot more, and he did score his goal from a “dirtier” area per se, but I think today highlighted what Ol’ Magnus brings to the table. His board play is solid, getting to pucks that other’s wouldn’t in the oppositions end and keeping it their own. Unlike Eager, he manages the initial breakout pass well and with his speed carries the puck well into opposition ice. Defensively, of all the Oilers youngsters (outside of Lander) he knows where he should be and rarely gets caught in a bad position on the ice.

Do I feel he needs to cheat a bit more for offense? Yes. Do I feel he needs to drive the puck to the net a bit more? Completely. However, their are other parts of his game that really do add to help winning hockey games.

Horcoff and Hemsky are pro’s and have been around for a long time. MPS did not look out of place with them today. That is a step in the right direction.

Was Lowetide foretelling us something in his game-day thread? Who knows, but I will take it.

121. spoiler says:

Gerta,

He was standing at the edge of the crease. Took a hard slash to the back of the calf and then when down heavily on his side. Went to the dressing room under his own steam, but was back on the ice shortly thereafter. He’ll have a couple of nice bruises by tomorrow morning.

122. mattwatt says:

Woodguy: I think I like 89 with 83 better than 93, but two actual scoring lines with:94-10-2855-20-28Would be a decent forward corps.Still light at C, but better than the forwards have been here in a long time.Now add 2 top 4 Dmen in the offseason…..and a goalie…

I think we are asking a lot of this management group to add two top-4 defenceman next offseason. Do not see it happening. Could, but this is the same management group who felt that Barker was a solid top-4 player. However, making sure to find at least one is imperative.

I have mentioned it in previous threads, but I feel that a defense group of:

77-Player X
    5-58
    6-44

would be decent enough to work with. Thinking that 6 will play top-4 minutes next year is a bit silly if you ask me, but even at 80% he is still effective enough to help this team win hockey games.

Where are the problems with this back-end? Relying on Petry to keep up his good play? Let me know what you guys think.

123. Suntory Hanzo says:

@Jake,

I agree. Went out to Hope to the Mom in Laws from Abbotsford expecting to be able to watch a “Hockey day in Canada” game to be surprised by being shown a game with only one Canadian team. And one in the SE division at that.

CBC should get a letter…

124. OilClog says:

What type of declaration as Oiler faithful do we need to make so everyone in the Oil show knows Hemsky needs to stay! They’re so tight lipped about everything, we need some dialogue! if one fa

If not for injuries, and 20 different ways this team has lost leads late in games this season, the record would be probably +10 in points from where we are now. I’m not sold on this years draft, I wouldn’t be one against the pick plus a prospect or two being moved for a top 4 D before the draft, or at the draft this year.

I wouldn’t be against the Oilers going after someone like Emery to offset Dubnyk next season, if Khabby can be moved. It will be what.. 2..3 years until Bunz gets a serious look. Maybe we can grab a guy like Mason and give him a do-over. We need competition for Dub in the crease, over someone like Khabby who is just happy breathing and being old. No knock on him, but he’s been fleecing us since day one. He was never coming here to win cups or be successful, unless you count bank roll.. which he’s killing it.

I take it as a good sign that Khabby was playing these last fews games out east with all the scouts in attendance, but a bad sign barker was sitting.. meaning he’s already failed, and Tamb has been informed he’s as good as dead.

126. OilClog says:

Those bastards! Can we include these media members with the boys on the bus? If we’re going to do a proper rebuild I mean it would only make sense to remove them all. Media seems to be the first place we need a culture change, in most places reading around the league it seems the fans and media are all on the same page.. but when it comes to the Oilers.. there is a large gap. Larger then Terry Jones.

Reading through all the oiler blogs, then trying to read the MSM.. it’s painful. On one hand, there is positives, and actual thought processing going on.. all which is trying to make this team successful.. on the other hand is a group of power hungry people that are out to see that the 80′s are the only success then organization ever has on the ice. WHY RUN HEMSKY OUT OF TOWN!?!? how is that going to appear attractive to ufa’s, kids going to the draft, or anyone else. Watching Hemsky play his next 8 years somewhere else is going to be very sour, I hate heartburn.

I think Hemsky is a very interesting case. Penner was a guy I liked but the Oilers clearly had issues with going back to MacT. But Hemsky? He’s one of their own. The disconnect seems to have come between the dinner Katz/Hemsky and this fall, and man based on the verbal we’re hearing this is the Grand Canyon.

Curiouser and curiouser.

128. OilClog says:

I like Penner too, I would hope they would target him this summer.. but I know that is a pipe dream. Why would we want to add a forward that has size, speed, can score, and liked playing in Edmonton, whole idea seems outrageous! The team could be going into next season with two top end scoring lines, but it seems they like the idea of all the weight being put on the kids shoulders alone to find the net. Maybe they’ll take a run at grabbo.. but that would eat valuable cap space in the future.. oh god.. all this leads me to believe.. next year could be even worse. Now where are those muscle relaxants that left me drooling on myself, I think I need some more.

Oilclog: Penner played well with Gagner, that’s a nice match. You never know.

130. oilersfan says:

Lowetide

Could I make a suggestion? You know your way around the stats. Could you write an article here and/or at ON about Hemsky’s superior stats since the lockout. Perhaps focusing in on his points per game, where that rankes him in the league, and especially were it ranks him as a RW.

I think the media is scandalized that Hemsky wants to re-sign for 5 years at $5 million. i say fine, sign him. If memory is correct I believe he is a top 10 RW for points per game since the lockout. Also in the top 40 or so for PPG since the lockout. Maybe even top 30. Based on this body of work, isn’t he worth $5 million per?

He is 28, not 38. In 5 years he will be younger than the following players are now: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Iginla, Alfredsson, Tanguay, Selanne, and Thornton. When he signed that last 6 year deal at $4.5 per, the salary cap was $45 million, so he signed on for 10% of the cap. Now if he signed up for $5 million per, that would only be 8% of the cap, and in 5 years, the salary cap may well be $75-80 million at current rates, bringing his income to only 6.5% of the cap.

I think the main argument against signing him is injury. The fact is, 90% of his games lost due to injury to his shoulder, and both of his shoulders have been reconstructed. Which NHL player who had season ending shoulder surgery lost further games to that same shoulder? Lecavalier, Kessel, Souray, Vishnovsky, Hossa and Tanguayhave all had the same surgery and none of them have missed time due to it afterwards.

Up until this season Hemsky has been the OIlers’ best offensive player in ten years since Weight left town. His value now is as low as it has been in his entire time here. Isn’t the better gamble to sign him for term and money , trying your best to grind him based on this poor season and injury history.

Anyways, LT , I leave it in your hands to write the article and advocate for re-signing Hemsky as ON is widely read, and maybe you could get on Stauffer’s show to argue the point. I think if we as fans make an articulate argument to keep him instead of trade him, and make a lot of noise, we may find we have more sway with the team than we might think.

Most here I think agree with the idea. I am baffled how the MSM is so caught up in this poor season, focusing on the recent past instead of his body of work over the 6 seasons prior. I think LT you could be a powerful force to sway the argument to look at his career instead of one season, and how it would actually be a good thing to sign him for 5 years, not a bad thing.

Hell, it’s worth a try. Will you do it?

Thanks in advance.

131. OilClog says:

LT, you’re leading me to believe Gags will be kept! Thank you.. but I have a bad feeling about this too, before the game of his life.. the image of the media members spitting after saying his name seems really easy to imagine. They don’t seem like people that forget easily.

132. OilClog says:

OilersFan.. I second that.

133. oilersfan says:

134. mattwatt says:

Lowetide: Oilclog: He’s gone. A lot of what happens in EDM with the Oilers is telegraphed through the media. There are media members who stop just short of spitting after saying the name Hemsky. Either he’s being traded or charged with a crime.

Lowetide, do you think Oilers brass is missing a chance to change the perception of the team around the league? Tambo, Lowe and co. have stated how players do not like Edmonton, then we hear players often saying different. If anything, players hate losing and Oilers management, that is the issue with Edmonton currently.

Yet again we are hearing whispers from those connected repeatedly state “Hemsky is playing bad, is a bum and things need to change, starting with body language.” Would this not be a good time for Tambo to say:

“Listen here. All of you deriding a good player, give your head a shake. Hemsky has been nothing but a tough, strong, committed member of this team for years and years. Most of the success we have had on the ice during these tough times, with the unproductive teams we have had, usually have one constant: Ales Hemsky. He has always been a great Oilers player, and still is. Whenever the bell has rang, Ales has answered and I will no longer stand you disrespecting him, so lay off him and let him play!”

Even if the Oilers trade him, which is looking likely, at least they save face for defending a productive player. Other players also see this management going to bat for players. Or Hemsky goes “holy shit, maybe I should give these guys another shot.”

This riding-Hemsky-through-town act is getting old and if I am another player, why the hell would I want to come here? So Edmonton (Oilers management) can shit on me later?

What they do makes no sense, but then again why I am surprised?

135. Jamie says:

oilersfan: i just thought of something else. Given what a bad year he is having, I doubt any teams would give him term and money. I bet the Oilers could use their apparent indifference and the lack of interest around the league as a bargaining chip. I bet the OIlers could sign Hemsky to 5 years at 4.5 when it is all said and done, and that in year 3 on it will look like a great contract, (as the cap rises), and that it will be very tradeable, if they need the cap space for their other young stars. At that point, you will be able to get the assets back that are fair to reflect his talent, and fill whatever need is greatest for the team to compete for the SC.

Signing Hemsky to anything more than 2 years is a HUGE risk. I have loved watcing him (he was the only thing worth watching forever) but lets not forget earlier this year when he hurt his shoulder basically pushing a pass ahead, no contact. Don’t tell me that you don’t cringe every single time he goes into the boards. If you forget about the body language and the poor practice habits (allegedly) there is still the fact that he is injury prone and on his last big contract he is going to want term. It is great that his 5×5/60 is near the top of the league but if he only averages half a season there is no way he can outperform his contract.

136. stevezie says:

mattwatt: People are people. The Oilers management are proceeding as they believe they should based on the info available. It’s clear that Hemsky’s poor season has had an enormous impact on the management group–they don’t think he’s the player we saw in 2006 spring–and we’ll see.

History tells us the current Oilers management group has sent away a lot of good players.

138. stevezie says:

Okay, they would have an argument there. Maybe, despite people like Tanguay sagging for an entire year after shoulder surgery and then coming back strong, maybe with their intimate looks at his medical reports they are convinced he’s finished. To that I would say:
    A) That certainty is a fallacy. You can’t know that. Which leads to
    B) If you can get him on a semi-reasonable contract, he will still be tradeable. There will always be Panthers and Islanders and other teams that will be so desperate for good players they’ll take a flyer on someone in a bad situation.
    It seems to me that trading him is a bigger risk that keeping him.

In fairness to management, if they have inside information (which they would) that Hemsky’s healthy really is FUBAR and he is still asking for the moon contract wise, they really don’t have much choice. They’d never, ever be able to come out and say “we knew he would never be the same player”, either before or after a trade for obvious reasons. If that’s the case they look like idiots and there’s not a lot they can do about it but make the best trade possible.

Still, the apparent lack of communication between management and player is some combination of bizarre and infuriating.

139. mattwatt says:

stevezie: Hemsky’s bad year should be the best thing that ever happened to management. This is the perfect time to resign him. I just don’t understand what went wrong- last year they were high enough on him not to trade while the price was high, and now they’re so done with him they can’t even pick up the phone. There is clearly something we’re not hearing here. I don’t know who the secret bad-guy is, but either Hemsky or Tambo is a dick behind the scenes. Souray torched his own career for the joy of publically declaring Tambo’s inability to communicate anything to anyone. Until I hear Hemsky was the problem from a reliable source, and I have no idea who that source would be, I’m going to assume he means it when he says he’d rather stay.And don’t give me thsi body-language bullshit. At worst that’s a symptom, not a cause. Even if Hemsky wants out now, this hasn’t always been the case. What’s changed?

I disagree on the Souray part. Yes, what he said was not right, one does not take gripes public. But this was also a time for Tambo to stay “I understand Sheldon is upset, but airing it out publicly was not the way to do it. That said, if we are to have success we need him in this locker room and we need him performing. I have had/planned talked/on talking about this with Sheldon, and going forward we need him as a committed member of this team.”

Instead we got Tambo saying how he was upset with Edmonton(Souray was not, per reports after, just with management) and there was no way Souray was coming back. What was an asset suddenly became sunk costs. Yes, Sheldon sucked after this incident but saving face would have been the more productive approach.

Why didn’t this management team do that? And why don’t they care about how others in the league look at them?

Detroit would not behave in this manner, and to me this speaks volumes.

And one wonders why the teams are so far apart in the standings year after year.

140. rickithebear says:

Tobias Reider RW: 4RD #114, 2PPG mid Nov to Jan 27.
    Lets look in at his performance since Jan. 27
    6GM 5G 9A +1 2.33PPG.

It was nice to see hemsky actually care in a game.

LT: sending away good players with no talent to fill makes an organizartion. 30th.
    Paying a player 70% more than what he is playing like is how an organization ends up 30th. Replaceing current player production with a younger/cheaper player is good management.

Hemsky has been a 15G 37P player for 6 of 9 seasons. Can that be replaced for less than 5.5M

141. spoiler says:

What has he got, 7 or 8 pts in the last 7 games? Take the injuries out and Hemsky is a producer, usually playing against the best alongside what has been one of the worst teams in the league. Not to mention one of the most injured.

I don’t know how the return could indemnify us, much less put us ahead.

If he goes to a good team and gets 2nd toughest minutes and PP time with good players, he’s going to rack’em up.

I don’t know if I could give Tambo a new contract before seeing the result of the trade deadline, if it was in my hands.

142. stevezie says:

mattwatt,

It’s late here so my writing was clumsy. What I meant was, this Hemsky thing appears to be completely validating Souray’s main point: Tambellini is an incompetent communicator- worse than incompetent, he actually appears malicious. As much as I love Hemsky, I will admit there are scenarios in which moving him out would be the smart move. From all appearances, however, management being supernaturally stupid. If that’s not the case they need to re-examine their PR strategy.

They won’t, of course, because they don’t care. I think Tambo fully realises he answers to Katz, not fans, and so he doesn’t give a flying fart in a hurricane what Edmonton thinks of him. I’d respect that if he didn’t appear to be so bad at his job. He’s right that at the end of the day we’re all judged on our results, but that just underscores his problem. If you’re on your way to a third consecutive lottery appearance, you should consider PR a worthwhile endeavour.

143. Wolfie says:

I hope they keep Hemsky. Sometimes I think it might be best for both parties if he was traded but I can’t imagine a trade that would be fair value for both teams involved. It would be nice if the Oilers broke the trend of trading players away in their prime or about to get a huge raise.

Don’t be fooled Hemsky is going to get paid. Gaborik did… I think you would see an inspired Hemmer if the Oilers gave him a little love, a vote of confidence, something. He knows his role is changing because of the sheer brilliance of the kids but that doesn’t mean he can’t still contribute to the success (if they ever have any) of this hockey club.

The money and term aren’t really that big an issue when it comes to Hemsky. Even if the Oilers are pressed up against the cap in a couple of years when the kids start getting paid if Hemsky gets hurt the cushion kicks in. Really the bottom 6 is the problem at this point and you don’t have to spend a ton of money to fix that.

Like LT said it doesn’t seem that the Oilers are willing to stick their neck out for the guy. What’s not being said is as telling as what they could be saying. I think he’s gone but sure wish to heck they find a way to keep him.

144. mattwatt says:

stevezie,

I agree, moving Hemsky for the right pieces is not unreasonable and like you I love the guy. His current state of disrepair does make one question what he can provided going forward, and if the return is good then why not.

Again, as you said, it is this malicious intent that is disturbing. The man deserves better, yet those in charge do not see that. Sad really.

Lowetide said it best one time, something about cutting a nose in spite of a face or something like that.

145. wuthering says:

Any further thoughts on a couple of Renney’s curious decisions of late? 1) Belanger, career 1/9 in the shootout becomes a predictable 1/10 against the Wings, overlooking several other obvious candidates. Wasn’t like he played extra well and deserved it, and a hunch doesn’t make for good coaching. 2) The ice-time allotment for the vets over the youth make some sense, given his hesitation to play the youth on the PK. However, their “body of work” ought to be fairly clear by now–and one would think they’ve earned a little more ice-time (if not some PK time–see below). After Eberle ran out of gas last year, is he trying to dial it back to keep them all fresh? Or, is it the old, “i’m the coach, so you better know who’s boss?” (Or, for the conspiracy theorists, are they keeping their points down in order to sign them for less? :) 3) The PP and PK are clicking along much better than years prior–for which Renney probably doesn’t receive enough credit. However, if this truly is a rebuild, does it not make sense to to allocate at least a little PK time to the kids? At the worst they will discover which ones have no future killing penalties.

146. spoiler says:

Ricki

Since Hemsky turned the corner in 05-06, he’s been about a 0.9 ppg player. As he’s gotten healthier this year he’s returned to that rate of production.

Those guys are difficult to replace. Very difficult.

And if we extrapolate Gagner on the same lines, if/when he turns his corner, he would be about the same, maybe a little better.

Add in Ebs, Hall and Nuge–if Gagner & Hemsky are the worst of these 5 and are running at 0.9 ppg, well I can’t think of many present NHL rosters with that level of scoring.

Our only issues would be making sure the puck stayed out of our own net.

147. Gerta Rauss says:

Some online chatter(Kypreos) that Sutton is close to signing an extension with the Oilers-he is tweeting 1 year $1.75M-I haven’t found anything official yet.

All I have to say about this is that I hope this means they won’t be qualifying Barker.

148. Gret99zky says:

I like W’s.

I like the OT wins from the dance on fires.

“Life moves pretty fast. You don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it”.

Tonight was a good night.

149. rickithebear says:

Spoiler: go to Cap geek, Put in Gagner at 3.75M, RNH at 5.75M, 5.3M each for Hall, Eberle. with Horcoff around at 5.5M. Smid with 4M, Gilbert with 5.5M.

That is 35.5M for 7 players. that leaves 1.79M/ea for 16 players.

In any Cap world more goals than you give. Hemsky is a 16-20G player. But the low goal high assist count set-up role is there with RNH-Gagner-Horcoff. all of them are dependent on the goal scorers on there line.
    35G from Hall, Eberle; 25G RNH, Smyth (UFA), 15G Gagner(RFA), Jones

If hemsky goes we do not suffer on the PK or PP. Gagner is a stronger even set-up guy. Horcoff already plays the toughs set-up role.When Hemsky was gone.
    two 5.5M 15-18G scorers. No way.

Top Free agent Goal scorers 09-10 to today:

Hall 40G 24G/season
    Jones 38G 17G/season
    Horcoff 31G12G/season
    Belanger 30G 12G/Season
    MP 12G/season
    Hemsky 10G/season

How do you justify 4M for hemsky. 5M nuts.