G61 Coyotes at Oilers

Last night’s news that Ales Hemsky had signed a 2-year, $10M contract to stay with the Oilers ignited a flurry of tweets and posts about 83′s surprise signing. The Oilers from summer 2006 through yesterday spent deadlines bloodletting and moving the cluster back one desperate year at a time. Last night, management sent a strong signal to the fanbase, joining the masses in one giant “we’re as mad as hell and we’re not going to take it anymore!” refrain.

Finally! The Oilers are keeping their actual NHL players, and that is news. After YEARS of offloading–you know the list–they signed Ales Hemsky and brought hope back into the conversation. What does it mean? Well, come summer the holes won’t be as plentiful as past summers and the team will perhaps address holes and find a way to establish balance. Sweet, beautiful balance.

The forwards and defensemen signed, rfa with merit and the UFA who is certain to stay:

1. G Nikolai Khabibulin
  10. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  11. C Sam Gagner (rfa)
  12. C Shawn Horcoff
  13. C Eric Belanger
  14. C Anton Lander
  15. L Taylor Hall
  16. L Ryan Smyth (ufa but signed soon)
  17. L Magnus Paajarvi
  18. L Ben Eager
  19. R Ales Hemsky (yay!)
  20. R Jordan Eberle
  21. R Ryan Jones

I always forget someone, but think that’s right. Barker is RFA but unlikely to stay, and Hordichuk, Petrell are UFA. Anyway, you can see there’s some nice things here and guys like Hartikainen, Omark and others may help out too. Man, it’s good to be going into the summertime with an eye to building instead of trying to catch up to what was flushed at the deadline. I think the Oilers need a defenseman who can play plenty of evens and at least one of the special teams.

RNH plays today, that should be good. He’s slipped in the Calder rankings but honestly if he can just stay healthy now through the end of the season I expect he’ll win the day.

• Pat mentioned this last night on twitter, but the Taylor Hall verbal seems to have been a turning point.
  • Hemsky may not be popular in some circles but his teammates certainly appear to have wanted him to stay.
  • This is great news for Jordan Eberle. Hemsky’s ability to face the tough music and post numbers 5×5 means #14 can facer softer comp and hopefully kill it like he’s done his year. Eberle’s home road splits (36 points in 27 homes games, 24 points in 29 road games) gives us a view to how important having a veteran option is for these kids.
  • I think this sends a message to both players and fans: the Oilers are done with adding bullets for bullets sake and we’re going to see more nights like the Flames and Flyers tilts earlier this week. Not all the time, but the climb is underway.

Nation Radio hits the airwaves today at noon on Team 1260. Guests scheduled to appear:

• Terry Jones from the Edmonton Sun and perhaps the hottest twitter account in Edmonton. Terry will help us put this week into perspective and I’ll ask him how he sees the trade deadline working out with 83′s signing.
  • Kent Wilson from Flames Nation. Kent always gives a unique perspective on the Flames and all things NHL. We’ll discuss the Flames week, what Jay Feaster might do if they let him near the telephone and that tweet about Hemsky from Flames official site.
  • Richard Pollock from Illegal Curve. The Jets have been such an interesting story and arrive at the deadline as a clear buyer. I’ll ask Richard what that might mean for Jets fans over the next 72 hours.
  • James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail. James will handle the Leafs portion of the deadline drama, and that could fill an hour but we’ll only have 15 minutes. I’ll also ask James about an interesting article about what it’s like to get traded at the deadline.
  • David Staples from the EJ’s Cult of Hockey. David always has a unique opinion and backs it up with logic and reason. I’m looking forward to his view of the Oilers at the deadline.
  • Cam Charron from Canucks Army. Vancouver is the one Canadian team that could stand pat and still deliver an impressive playoff 23, but from the sounds of things they will be active.

Emails welcome at nationradio@theteam1260.com or you can leave items in the comments section here. I’m also @lowetide_ on twitter and @ItsNationRadio. Should be fun.

192 Responses to "G61 Coyotes at Oilers"

1. bookje says:

I think the key difference is that for the first time in 2.5 year, the GM wants the team to win games.

Nice to see players like Hemsky excited about the future here.

2. skidplate says:

To me it feels like a turning point. We have actual experienced NHL players wanting to sign in Edmonton. As mentioned in the article, we have witnessed player after player leave, and this year looks different. Would it not be great to see players play their entire career in Edmonton?

3. stevezie says:

Wish I could be part of the standing ovation tonight.

4. HeavySig says:

Reading the twitter feed and the comments sections of different sites can make you wonder why we have NHL hockey in Edmonton at all. The majority of opinions expressed seem to think it is outrageous that the Oilers signed the best hockey player Edmonton has had over the last decade (1 year FCP exception) instead of trading him for another 5/6 defenseman and a second round pick.

Jagr has been begging to play with him for years and was lobbying for him again this past week. It wasn’t that many years ago that 99 said this: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=33833

5. Bos8 says:

I’m curious as to where Nuge plays. Logically it should be between Hall and Hemsky, but who knows.

6. skidplate says:

stevezie,

I wish I could be there as well. This afternoons game, I am sure the fans will show their appreciation of the signing.

7. Smarmy says:

It didn’t matter to me if they dealt him or signed him because it would have been about the dollars, but the fact they signed him leads me to believe that they’re going to try winning games next year. To me that is the exciting part.

8. DBO says:

I wonder if Nuge gets mps and Eager. Gets sheltered minutes maybe. And Eager to ride shotgun if anyone runs him.

9. DBO says:

If they keep.the 2 lines the same, I hope next year they go with 3 scoring lines, with the top 2 getting PVP and Nuge getting sheltered.
    hall.horc.hemsky
    Smyth.Gagner.eberle.
    mps.Nuge. Forsberg
    Eager.belanger.Jones

10. Ducey says:

I think thats a little over top, LT. People are getting a little tired of the rebuild but I think that most understand the process. Last time I checked only 1/3 of the responses on the Oilers website poll thought resigning Hemsky was a good move. Presumably many would have been happy had he been dealt for someone younger and a pick.

The fans that are as “mad as hell” are down south in Calgary. They see their GM doing F all to get their team into the playoffs but yet refusing to start rebuilding.

When you interview Jones maybe you can ask him to put down his Baconator long enough to explain why the Hemsky deal is a bad one. Surely he must know that Hemsky’s shoulders have been repaired and are supposed to hold up. Hasn’t he noticed that Hemmer is a ppg guy in every year except this one – and that he has returned to form recently? I can see some dude out East or in Russia looking at Hemsky’s stats and thinking the $$ is too much, but Jones is supposed to be an expert on the Oilers. Doesn’t he see the need to provide support for the young players?

11. jonrmcleod (aka GospelofJon) says:

LT: Will you be asking T. Jones about his opinion that Hemsky doesn’t help the Oilers win games?

12. Traktor says:

What was did Albert Einstein say the definition of insanity was?

It looks like were going into next season with the same lineup and expecting different results.

If we take another run with this roster I think at the very least we need an elite goalie. I really don’t like the idea of getting a 1B type to split time with DD. We need a legit top 10 goalie or else we need Suter.

Ryan Murray 2012

13. steveb12344 says:

I think this was a great move for the team!

Mngmt shows the players that they are serious about keeping the good players together, and wanting to become a contender sooner than later.

Signifies to the fans that maybe they are finally moving past the rebuild stage, and into the “fill the holes around your core group stage”

I think most importantly, it is huge for a veteran player (very well liked by his teammates) like 83 to show the kids that it is ok to have team loyalty, and put the good of the team ahead of his own personal gains. Despite what many of the so-called experts think, we all KNOW that 83 could have gotten the contract he was looking for in the summer an a UFA.

At some point in the not too distant future the kids may be looked upon to do something similar to keep the team together.

Also this video should remind us all of exactly why we love this guy so much…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sh6ALwzchY

Enjoy!

Bos8:
    I’m curious as to where Nuge plays.Logically it should be between Hall and Hemsky, but who knows.

I think they might got back to 94-93-14, so:

94-93-14
    4-89-83 (*swoon*)
    55-10-91
    16-20-37

I’m not sure if Renney keeps 91 on RW like Krueger (correctly) did. 91′s cuts are much better going right to left, than left to right. He should stay as a RW.

Renney might bring his boy Jones back in for a look too, maybe for 16. Word was 57 coming out for 93.

Another game they can win, but it won’t be easy.

PHX is in the thick of the playoff race with a 3 point lead on 8th place Dallas. (and 5th points on 9th place CAL. Suck it Flames!)

PHX is well coached and has a stable of young Dmen that any GM would want.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see PHX and EDM trading partners at some point. EDM has some high end skill up front, PHX is loaded at the back with Yandle, OEL,and Runblad. Rozsival, Klesla and Morris round out the D in a nice mix of youth and age.

Watch OEL play tonight. He’s 20 going on 35 with his decision making. He’s the next Lidstrom for my money.

Hall and Hemsky might be so jacked to play tonight that they’ll set the ice on fire.

Oilers traditionally take two periods to wake up and play an afternoon game, hope that doesn’t happen tonight.

3-2 Oilers

Hemsky gets 3 goals and 3 assists, and gets in 3 fights.

Terry Jones is picking the 3 stars and picks DD, Hall and Jones.

Go Oilers!!

15. Doug McLachlan says:

Love the Hemsky signing for all the reasons cited. LT, I too hope he knocks it out of the park next year but do we give Fussy Britches some credit for posting the deal 2hrs before confirmed? If so do we put any credence behind to Omark and pick for Bernier rumour?

16. Doug McLachlan says:

The rumour not to. Damn you autocorrect damn you to health.

17. oilersfan says:

Roszival is UFA this summer no? anybody here like him?>

Terry Jones wrote this morning how Gilbert Petry and Whitney are similar so the Oilers should trade one. Huh? don’t these guys know you need 3 pairings, each with a puck mover.

For my money Whitney is a 3rd pairing guy for the rest of his career with PP time. WIth his ankles I would treat him like a starting goalie…play most games but not back to back, end up playing 65 games a year so you don’t wear down. Better than retiring at 32.

Petry reminds me of Yandle. Anyone else here see the similarities?

One more question for this board. Does the Oilers pick this year get you Tyler Myers? Buffalo can have Grigorenko and we can have the semi franchise D. Myers and Marincin in 2 years would be like Chara and Chara…

18. Bruce McCurdy says:

I’m encouraged by the fact that the usual signals of a guy on the way out — character assassinations of Hemsky’s body language and practice habits — turned out to be so much noise. A lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. A lot of bloggers got sucked into interpreting those signals as Hemsky’s immediate departure being a fait accompli got it wrong too, though some of the laments and tributes were a lot more fun to read than some of that other crap.

Media leaks and whisper campaigns may have been the way things were done in past administrations, but this strikes me as pretty good evidence confirming Tambellini’s ability to keep his cards close to his chest. More credit to him, I say. Culture change was needed in more than just the locker room.

19. art vandelay says:

David Staples…always has a unique opinion and backs it up with logic and reason.<

I don’t think you define “logic” and “reason” the same way other people do.

20. DSF says:

Woodguy:

Watch OEL play tonight.He’s 20 going on 35 with his decision making.He’s the next Lidstrom for my money.

You really need to watch some Ottawa games.

Erik Karlsson is a PPG defenseman playing 25 minutes a night, the toughest competition, is +15 and, one more thing, he’s only 21.

21. SK Oiler Fan says:

There’s 21 players on that roster that are the same players on a 29th place team this year. That connot be the roster going into next season with expectations of making the plyaoffs.

Resigning Hemsky keeps them roughly at the level they’re at. Some players will regress next year, some will play obove this years level – it happens every year. So if ST goes in to next year with roughly the same roster as this year its only reasonable to expect the same level of play to a minimal improvemnet due to the kids aging a year. I know I’m being overly pesimistic, but ST has miles to go to make this team competitive.

He needs to start with 2 good D who can be effective in all situations and an upgrade in G. Good luck accomplishing that without weakening another area of the roster.

I understand the recent optimism, but its amazing what 2 wins and resigning a player that some fans are emotionally attached to does to the theme around here.

I suspect the new Jaques Lemaire will put a damper on the party this afternoon.
    Go Oilers

22. DBO says:

One more NHL dman, and a better goalie are keys. Although I think we still need more grit up front (Philly showed we can’t respond physically, although we won the game we were pushed around), the focus should be another D. Staples has good article up at faceoff.com (http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/edmonton-oilers/Oilers+really+need+make+improvement/6208894/story.html) about giving Danis some real time to see if he can translate success in the AHL to up here (ala Brian Elliot, Tim Thomas, etc.). Move Bulin,and let the two goalies split time. Danis may be the vet answer we need, giving Roy and Bunz another year or two to develop.

UFA D that we have a shot at:
    Grossman
    Zanon
    Allen
    Oduya
    Jackman

all are solid, all between 27-31 and all could be happy with a slight overpay. Grossman is one I’d target. Solid stay at home type who is physical, and good in his own end.

23. PDO says:

With all the worry about Hemsky’s health… I figure I may as well chime in.

I’ve had the same surgery, with the same doctor to my knowledge; Dr. Balyk. He’s also the same guy that did Souray, Horcoff, Visnovsky, Moreau… again, to my knowledge.

Personally, my surgery lasted almost 3 hours; it was scheduled for 90 minutes. What the surgery does is it basically reties the piece of your shoulder that keeps it in place. I had 2 dislocations I couldn’t put back in and probably 20-30 separations before I had the surgery… and zero since. Took me about 6 months before I was working out comfortably again and another 6 before I was playing hockey again… it’s a major friggin surgery. I’ve had no complications since though, and can do everything I did before except take faceoffs. Once you have that surgery, you should be stronger than you ever were before.

That said, I’m not worried about Hemsky’s health moving forward at all.

DSF:

No doubt Karlsson is good, and you’re right, I haven’t seen him play much compared to OEL.

That 2008 draft continues to look way better in the rearview mirror than was talked about at the time.

Eberle at 22, Karlsson at 15, Gardiner at 17, Carlson at 21, Del Zotto at 20, Myers at 12, Hodgson at 10, Voynov at 32, Hamonic at 53.

Not to forget Stamkos, Doughty, Bogo, Pietrangelo at 1-4.

Good thing the Ducks got the final and the Oilers had a pick. ;)

oilersfan,

Rozival can’t stay healthy. 33gp this year, last year and the year before. (before you say it DSF, Hemsky is on pace to play 70 this year)

He’ll be 34 at TC and is RH.

Oilers need a 25-27ish year old LH DMan to play 1st or 2nd pair.

?-77
    5-58
    6-44

You can probably do ok with:

5-77
    ?-58
    6-44

I dream of Garrison = ?. 4 years $15MM. He may get more.

If Whitney can actually get healthy its a much better picture.

25. Bos8 says:

I’d be leary of breaking up 89 and 14, also I’d prefer Nuge got sheltered a bit between Hall and Hemsky. This also lets Gagner carry on, carrying on.

I’m ecstatic that His Swedeness is okay.

I’m intrigued by what teams are doing with young D. I’d like to see the Oilers get into the cutting edge on development in this area. What are teams doing that the Oilers aren’t and can the Oilers emulate?

PDO:
    With all the worry about Hemsky’s health… I figure I may as well chime in.

I’ve had the same surgery, with the same doctor to my knowledge; Dr. Balyk.He’s also the same guy that did Souray, Horcoff, Visnovsky, Moreau… again, to my knowledge.

Personally, my surgery lasted almost 3 hours; it was scheduled for 90 minutes.What the surgery does is it basically reties the piece of your shoulder that keeps it in place.I had 2 dislocations I couldn’t put back in and probably 20-30 separations before I had the surgery… and zero since.Took me about 6 months before I was working out comfortably again and another 6 before I was playing hockey again… it’s a major friggin surgery.I’ve had no complications since though, and can do everything I did before except take faceoffs.Once you have that surgery, you should be stronger than you ever were before.

That said, I’m not worried about Hemsky’s health moving forward at all.

That’s awesome stuff PDO, thanks!

As far as I know none of the players you mentioned had shoulder problems again.

Its a wonder 10 can still take face offs then.

The guy is a pack mule, jujst works, works and works.

Bos8:
    I’d be leary of breaking up 89 and 14, also I’d prefer Nuge got sheltered a bit between Hall and Hemsky.This also lets Gagner carry on, carrying on.

I’m ecstatic that His Swedeness is okay.

I’m intrigued by what teams are doing with young D.I’d like to see the Oilers get into the cutting edge on development in this area.What are teams doing that the Oilers aren’t and can the Oilers emulate?

28. Smarmy says:

I think a good chunk of the disappointment out there for this resigning comes from media that loves to talk about trades and from fans that have been conditioned to expect the oilers to deal off someone at the trade deadline.

There are hockey fans that live for trades and talking about future players with more excitement then current players.

Resigning a player for a few more years just isn’t that exciting.

29. Bruce McCurdy says:

Smarmy,

Smarmy: Resigning a player for a few more years just isn’t that exciting.

I’ll bet the last 400 comments that you’re wrong about that.

30. Bos8 says:

Woodguy: 4 and 83 are probably going to see a lot of OEL and Yandle today. Opposite of sheltered.

Agreed on the oppo. My sheltered concern is the crash bang and the Nuge shoulder. By the same token I’d like to see that matchup as in pure fun.

Hockey as entertainment – What a concept.

DBO:

UFA D that we have a shot at:
    Grossman
    Zanon
    Allen
    Oduya
    Jackman

You forgot Garrison.

Garrison is playing tougher minutes with better results than everyone on your list. He’s the guy.

I like Wideman, Suter (obv), Carle, and Stuart more than the guys on your list. (not to crap on your list, thanks for putting it up)

You probably have a reasonable shot at 2/5 or 3/5 on my list.

There are some options, but I agree with Traktor that if you can’t get “your guy” (Suter, Garrison and Stuart would be my targets), then trade for a good one.

There are lots of 5/6 Dmen under contract here. One more good one pushes everyone down a notch of competition and should cause better results for all of them.

That being said, 5 & 58 have outchanced some pretty impressive players in the last week or so. Can’t ignore what you have either.

With all the talent up front, Defence by committee like PIT (very good, but not great players in Letang, Martin, Orpik, and Michalek eating up 80% of the ice time) seems like the way to go.

At least for now.

Bos8: Agreed on the oppo.My sheltered concern is the crash bang and the Nuge shoulder. By the same token I’d like to see that matchup as in pure fun.

Hockey as entertainment – What a concept.

He’ll probably get hit regardless of who he plays with. If he’s ready, then he’s ready for contact.

I hope.

33. nathan says:

LT, If you’re too polite to ask about the DM at least ask which of the two contrary tweets reflect his real opinion. Does he think the agent really would not have found more years at 5M+?

sunterryjones: But I get it. Hemsky couldn’t hit the free agency home run and the Oilers couldn’t get value for him as a rental. So do-over in order.

sunterryjones: My guess is Hemsky is OK with two-year deal but agent and NHLPA not so much.

WG, They probably gave extra time to strengthen everything around it and to skip the Flyers game.

34. DBO says:

woodguy: saw those guys, just feel we have a real shot at my list. The others I think will price themselves out of our market, so we’ll be left with the middle range dmen.

35. ashley says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    but ST has miles to go to make this team competitive.

I disagree. There is not much that separates a bottom feeder from a playoff team in the NHL. Among major sports franchises, the NHL is well known to have the most parity of any. While it makes for a great story, upsets in the first round of the playoffs every year should not be as surprising as they are made out to be.

No doubt, we need some more talent, but we are close now, and we are a long ways from Quinn’s year. With a little more skill on the blue, some reliable goaltending, and some luck with injury, the Oilers should be in the thick of it next year at this time.

The Hemsky signing was a huge step in the right direction.

36. justDOit says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Smarmy,

I’ll bet the last 400 comments that you’re wrong about that.

I think he meant that it’s not that exciting to the media, because now they have one less rumour to beat to death for the next 50 hours or so.

37. VOR says:

BOS 8,

I don’t think there is a typical pattern for young D around the league. Some teams stockpile them and wait to see what happens (have enough and one might turn out to exceed expectations). Buffalo, Toronto, and particularly Phoenix fall into this category. These teams then nuture the crap out of their guys. AHL, AHL, sheltered NHL minutes, sheltered NHL minutes. Like we did with Petry. Soon now we will be one of these teams as our recent draft picks start needing NHL minutes to continue to develop. Interestingly having large numbers of D in the system never seems to stop these teams from trading for or signing even more. Toronto and Franson for example.

Presumably the absurd stockpiling is so you can trade some away for pieces you need as you get good. On that note, Phoenix is at that stage. They have excess D and a real need for right wing depth. The Oilers could maybe do a deal right now with them to speed up our stockpiling process.

The Oilers could pick up a couple of guys who are between the kids (Marincin, Klefblom, Gernat) and the young emerging guy (Petry). They could trade Ryan Jones to Phoenix for Chris Summers or Michael Stone, two guys who are near the end of their apprenticeship. Summers can flat out fly but is a stay at home guy and Stone is the former Calgary Hitman with the canon the Oilers miss on the back end. Summers is in and out of Phoenix’s line up and Stone got called up recently because he was easily the best D-man Phoenix had in their farm system. For that matter we could try for both and throw in Peckham who is closer to NHL ready than either of these young men. The thing is both Summers and Stone are great with the short, quick outlet pass.

Of course other teams, like Detroit will have one good prospect and rely on making insanely uneven trades for guys like Kyle Quincey and signing big name free agents. That doesn’t seem to be a likely model for us in the short term.

DBO:

With Whintey being up next year, I think there’s room, and a need, for another $4MM/yr Dman.

I can’t see re-upping Whitney near his current contract unless his play dramatically improves.

He says his legs are week and they won’t get better this year. I guess we have to wait until next year to see if he can, but if you can get your FA guy, I still say they have to grab him, even with Whitney on the roster.

39. blackdog says:

40. DBO says:

blackdog,

That’s why I think the Forsberg kid may be the one to draft. Like Landeskog last year, he is climbing the ranks, and is the most physical and two way of the draftees. Be a nice fit on the 2nd or 3rd line right away.

41. Marc says:

blackdog:

Someone posted it a few threads ago. It questioned his compete level and pointed out that he got lots of points against bottom feeders but disappeared in big games.

Looking back at Stu’s draft record, he’ll spend first and second round picks on guys who have questions marks about their size (RNH, Eberle), skating (Eberle, Lander) and draft year production (RNH, Musil, Klefbom), but doesn’t touch guys who are knocked for not competeing every night. The only guy I can think of that he’s taken with that particular issue is MArtindale, and he was a first round talent that they took in the third round.

I think they go Yakupov if he’s there and the top D man on their list if he’s not.

42. Dipstick says:

The concern as to where RNH should play is unfounded in my opinion. He, Eberle and Hall have been productive with just about any of the other top 6 forwards. My only worry is that only one of them can have the puck at any time. The only difficult question is whether MPS or Smyth play the 2nd line LW.

43. DSF says:

ashley: I disagree.There is not much that separates a bottom feeder from a playoff team in the NHL.Among major sports franchises, the NHL is well known to have the most parity of any.While it makes for a great story, upsets in the first round of the playoffs every year should not be as surprising as they are made out to be.

No doubt, we need some more talent, but we are close now, and we are a long ways from Quinn’s year.With a little more skill on the blue, some reliable goaltending, and some luck with injury, the Oilers should be in the thick of it next year at this time.

The Hemsky signing was a huge step in the right direction.

Ashley…the “parity” in the league actually makes it much tougher to move up in the standings.

With 3 points games available every night and mediocre teams able to take advantage of that, only the teams that are able to win a large number of games in regulation are able to rise above the morass.

Teams that rely on OT or SO wins tend to occupy the middle ground while teams like Vancouver, NYR, STL, Boston, Detroit and Philadelphia continue to dominate.

The success or failure of the teams in the middle essentially comes down to a series of coin flips in OT or SO.

It should also be remembered that this current Oilers team is still riding a 15 game stretch of HHOF goaltending to start the season and may actually be significantly worse than the current standings indicate.

Most observers will agree that the Oilers goaltending and defense are a mess but point to all the high octane forwards the Oilers have as reasons for optimism but ignore than the Oilers are 29th in the league in shots/game while being 27th in shots against/game.

Unless you believe that the Oilers forwards will continue to be able to score with shooting percentages well above average (Eberle 19.7%) that is not a recipe for success.

If the Oilers PP can continue to rank among the elite teams, (currently 4th) they can continue to mask how terrible the team is 5V5 (24th in the league) and in keeping pucks out of their own net (24th).

There’s a long, long way to go here.

44. Ducey says:

For sure. The last place team in the East is just 8 points out of the playoffs. Crazy.

The Oilers are just 14points out. Next year, with a rejuvenated Hemsky, continued improvement from the kids, the evolution of Petry and maybe another Dman, the Oilers could easily win another 6 or 7 games by this point and be right in the mix.

45. ashley says:

DSF,

DSF,

Good points especially regarding the early goaltending and shooting percentag. Regarding the parity, I guess it depends on how you look at it.

I’m thinking more individual game parity. Almost every team has a chance to win every night (unless you’re playing at the Joe in the last couple of months). So often, it is a fortunate bounce, or maybe a minor defensive error that makes one team a winner and the other a loser. While it’s true the extra point for OTL/SO has made the standings closer and more difficult to climb, I’m thinking more about what is happening on the ice in each game. The Oilers are already “in” most games unlike 2 years ago where they were only in it before the puck dropped. With only a little improvement, they will win more of those games where very little separates the two teams. That should translate into quite a few more points, and as you have pointed out, it doesn’t take many points from where we are to becoming a middle of the pack team next year. I’m optimistic we’ll be fighting for a spot, but time will tell.

46. cabbiesmacker says:

So Wolski’s off to Fla huh? Slats clearing some cap to bring Nash in and take a run at Boston? Would think Dubinsky might be in play if thats the case along with a top pick (#1? shudder), a D..(Girardi, Stralman)? and a prospect. (Erixon). Don’t think Hagelin or Del Zotto would be in play but who knows?

Hope they dont dick with the lineup much with RNH back in. No point trying to fix something thats not broken right now?.Agree with those advocating plugging him in down the line and using him on the PP. He’s not going to be in any kind of shape to contribute huge anyways. Of course I say that and the kid will pop 5 pts.

Also have to think Jones is sitting for a reason. Maybe he and Seamus O’Mark are being poked around. Can Khabby really get anything that would matter in return? I would think a draft pick at best.

LT I would wager Landeskog has put himself in the Calder race as well. Not sure how much creedence the voters will put in PPG.

47. SK Oiler Fan says:

ashley,

I see your point. I guess it depends on everybody’s definition of competitive. Competitive for a bottom playoff spot or competitive with the top 3rd of the league.

I’m a big believer in goal differential as an accurate way of ranking teams beyond of course points. Now some would say that there were a few outlier games this year for the Oilers that would skew this metric. Not sure. Maybe every team in the league has these outliers and each team’s goal differential standard deviation is equal?

Let’s focus on 8th place in the west (Funny – right back where we were in the early 2000s).
    LA: -6
    Edm: -17

So assuming the same GF and GA pace the Oilers need any combination of +11 to be in 8th. So yah, not unrealistic to expect that next year. I think ST could improve the D enough and expect a small jump in GF from the forwards. The G is the wildcard here.

Let’s focus on the top 3rd of the West:
    Nash: +12
    Edm: -17
    Any combination of +29 gets them into this group. Now that is miles away from being included in that group. Here’s where they need an elite goaler and 2 above average all situations D along with the kids advancing as expected.

Then it becomes your outlook on the playoffs – You justs have to squeek in and you never know (2006)
    or recently the top 3rd of the league is so much stronger than the teams that squeek in that they are just a speed bump.

48. cabbiesmacker says:

Very true ashley. We’re 4 wins and some Bettman points behind the Powerhouse Flames, harharhar, and according to their fans they’re going to get there and make some noise. Bigger HAR HAR

49. DSF says:

cabbiesmacker:

LT I would wager Landeskog has put himself on the Calder list as well. Not sure how much creedence the voters put in PPG.

“Popcorn” Jones is sitting because he’s not a very good hockey player.

Was on the ice for a couple early goals against last week.

50. DBO says:

LAnder sent down. Another correct move. wow. what is happening. Is the world ending?

51. DBO says:

And with the likelihood of a NYR and Columbus deal for Nash, and Columbus getting a top end dman back, i wonder if they would move Tyutin? He fits our top 4 need, his salary, while long is not prohibitive as when Whitney comes off books we’ll have room for another $4 mill plus dman.

52. DSF says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    ashley,

LA: -6
    Edm: -17

Let’s focus on the top 3rd of the West:
    Nash: +12
    Edm: -17

Excellent post.

I read a thought proving article earlier this week (cant find it now) that the salary cap is actually driving elite players to elite teams.

The elite teams continue to attract elite players who are willing to take a discount to play for them while the rest of the league has to overpay to keep their players or sign free agents.

With the cap in place, the second and third tier of teams have to fill out their cap space with second and third tier players (see Hemsky, Ales), just to stay somewhat competitive.

Just another lesson from the School of Unintended Consequences. ®

Certainly underlines how important it is to draft well, develop properly, identify exactly when your window to win is going to be and go for it while you have young players on value contracts.

I’m not sure Lowe and Tambellini understand the two final points.

53. cabbiesmacker says:

DBO:

Don’t like Tyutin much for whatever reason, and I get we don’t need more D prospects BUT…I’d rather have David Savard than just about any other in the league.

Really hope Whitney can get healthier. He brings a whole lot of intangibles to this team from leadership to acting as a gobetween for the kids. The closest trio of buds on this team might be Whitney-Hall-Eberle so thats something to consider. Healthy I want him as our C before Horcoff…not that a demotion would happen.

54. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF: “Popcorn” Jones is sitting because he’s not a very good hockey player.
    Was on the ice for a couple early goals against last week.

His contract and PK decency could make him attractive to the right team DSF. For all his foibles he’s had some decent nights this year and last. If he goes I think Hartikainen or Omark can take his minutes decently depending how that lines deployed.

Really hope we’re looking at a Horcoff – Smyth – ?? (Hartsky) 3rd line vs decent toughs next season . Let the kids + roll as a top 6. Horcoff at C between some of the talent now is just SO not exciting.

55. Marc says:

cabbiesmacker:

My guess is that Columbus is asking for Dubinsky, Kreider, Erixon and a first. New York would probably prefer to give up Christian Thomas and Dylan McIlrayth instead of Kreider and Erixon.

I’m guessing Dubinsky, Kreider, McIlrayth and a first is the final deal. I can’t see anyone else coming up with a package that beats that.

56. hockeyguy10 says:

Woodguy,

Do you think Garrison’s #’s would be the same if he played in a different
    Conference? Every team in the Southeast has a negative goal
    differential.Has the look of Bouwmeester2.0. His offence really dropped
    off since leaving the SE

57. DSF says:

Vancouver puts Keith Ballard on LTIR with a “capcussion”.

Big deal coming right up.

58. blackdog says:

Thanks Marc.

Yes it sounds like Yakupov is starting to separate from the pack, he is most likely the consensus #1. After that its hard to say, what I know about these guys is what I read here. Just take BPA, that’s all I have to add to draft discussions. So whether that is Forsberg, Murray, Grigorenko or someone else I don’t care, just as long as its the guy who they feel is best. Always always BPA.

59. Marc says:

DSF:
    Vancouver puts Keith Ballard on LTIR with a “capcussion”.

Big deal coming right up.

Mackenzie is speculating Ott.

Just when you thought the Canucks couldn’t get any douchier…..

60. spoiler says:

Bruce McCurdy:

True dat.

61. DSF says:

Marc: Mackenzie is speculating Ott.

Just when you thought the Canucks couldn’t get any douchier…..

You realize they like it that way, right?

62. fuzzy muppet says:

DSF,

Yeah, it fits the fanbase :)

63. DSF says:

Bob McKenzie ‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie

VAN freeing up cap space akin to OPEN FOR BIZ sign going up. Ott? Brown, if available? ;-) Even Nash if they so choose? Many possibilities.

64. Marc says:

blackdog:

Absolutely agree.

65. DSF says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏ @NHL_Oilers

66. Dipstick says:

Finally, Belanger and Horcoff as 3 and 4 line centers. Hemsky signs and the all is right in the world. Some kind of Karma or something there.

67. Noodles says:

DSF,

Good to see that Paajarvi’s playing. He looked like he was in pretty bad shape after that knee from Hartnell.

68. mattwatt says:

DSF: Edmonton Oilers ‏ @NHL_Oilers#Oilers forward lines today are Hall-RNH-Hemsky, Smyth-Gagner-Eberle, Paajarvi-Horcoff-Eager, Hordichuk-Belanger-Petrell

Really wish the Oilers would call up Linus right now and let him run with MPS and Horcoff. Feel unsure as to what the Oilers have with him, and now is the best time to find out. Get him in the line-up and see what he can do. Feel his ceiling exceeds that of Eager and Jones, yet those two have been given far more rope over the course of the season than him. Seems odd how things have gone, but giving him a chance over the next twenty games would do a lot to remedy the situation.

As for Lander, I still love a lot of his game and truly believe that even though he is getting his head kicked in now, feel he will be a key part of the future. Good job on finally getting him in the AHL, where he could use the seasoning for quite awhile.

69. justDOit says:

DBO:

Could it be that the Mayans didn’t factor in leap days into their December ‘dead-line’? Maybe we’ve only got a week or two left…

A signed Hemsky.

Lander to the AHL.

v4.0 looking relaxed and saying good things after the Hemsky signing.

Horcoff and Belanger as the 3rd and 4th line C’s.

Did someone decided to stop spiking the water at Oiler’s HQ with Thorazine this week?

71. spoiler says:

I’m gonna miss that Quebec rink. Couple cuties put the belle in la belle province this week.

72. mattwatt says:

blackdog: Fun day yesterday. Just getting dressed after beer league game, picked up the BB and saw I had lights flashing everywhere. Great news.Can’t see much happening on Monday now, guess it will be the draft when things heat up again.Read something interesting yesterday or day before very critical of the second Russian – Grigorenko, is that his name? Unfortunately can’t remember where but the article quotes some scouts and they really put the boots to him, talked about him possible sliding on draft day. If he falls in the rankings then I guess Murray is the man for sure then.

I think it should be noted on here how ominous Pat was in the comment section of his last Hemsky post. He stated “Oilers have a bit of hand here imo. He is coming off injuries, having a poor year (because of this imo) and I think he wants to stay in Edmonton. I don’t think he turns down a fair offer. Just my opinion though.”

Well it was a good opinion indeed. Pretty bang on from where I am standing, and likely from everywhere else in the Oilogoshpere too.

And those in the MSM say these bloggers that consistenly write about self-pleasue know nothing. ;)

As for Grigs, lots of scouts/management/etc. not only bashing him of late, but this draft class in general. I second the notion of selecting Forsberg. Seems like the type of player who’s upside is not crazy, but will deliver the goods when he gets here a la Landeskog. Those type of players I can take.

73. blackdog says:

Feed? Anyone? thanks

74. Rebilled says:

Double deflection. Christ.

75. fuzzy muppet says:

Yank him. Those are two bad goals

76. jake70 says:

Rebilled:
    Double deflection. Christ.

Another Warren Commission goal…sheesh.

77. fuzzy muppet says:

nevermind

78. Lucinius says:

I hate afternoon games.

Hated them more when I played.

79. justDOit says:

So Phoenix takes a goalie who was on waivers not long ago, and turns him into the next Bryzgalov. I wonder how much Philly will offer Smith on July 1, 2013?

80. Rebilled says:

Would like to see Hall develop a goal from that play. He’s got that play down…

81. Lucinius says:

And two irrelevant players change which bench they spend time on.

82. SK Oiler Fan says:

It gets worse? Incompetance

83. Lucinius says:

And right there is one of the issues I have with the NHL.

If you even touch a goalie out of his crease you get a penalty. Should be diving more than a trip.

84. Rebilled says:

The Wizard of Nuge

85. fuzzy muppet says:

Dubnyk has been really bad so far.

Whitney made Whitney look like a pylon there.

*neigh!!!!!!*

87. Lucinius says:

….

No one Whitney should get to the net like that and no way that should go in.

Ugly.

88. SK Oiler Fan says:

DD. Consistancy is not his friend.

Whitney says he’s feels 100%, but just doesn’t have his game legs.

I don’t believe that for a second.

He can’t turn his feet sharply at all anymore.

Have to plan on him not being anything next year.

That’s a play Whitney has to make if he’s going to stay in the NHL imo.

91. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    Whitney says he’s feels 100%, but just doesn’t have his game legs.
    I don’t believe that for a second.
    He can’t turn his feet sharply at all anymore.
    Have to plan on him not being anything next year.

Piss poor effort by Dubnyk too.

92. Traktor says:

That 2nd goal was terrible. Quite possibly the worst goal let in this season. All DD had to do was hug the post and know that the only way Whitney could score was if he opened him up and put it 5-hole and DD somehow fell for the bait.

wow

93. Traktor says:

That’s a play Whitney has to make if he’s going to stay in the NHL imo.

That’s a puck DD has to stop.

Bruce would have stopped that. In his sleep.

Traktor: That’s a puck DD has to stop.

Bruce would have stopped that. In his sleep.

No doubt.

95. PunjabiOil says:

I think we’ve seen enough from Dubnyk to know he is not a starter, and probably not even a long-term backup. Would have no issue if both Dubnyk and Khabibulin are not here come September.

Ray Whitney – what a player. 17 points away from 1,000, and likely will hit it this season. Disgusting the Oilers didn’t sign him right after the lockout. He was quoted as saying ”Edmonton would be a good fit for me. I just built a house in Ft. Sask, and i’ve played with Smyth and Brewer at the World Championships.” Kevin Lowe wasn’t bullish on him.

Hope Tambellini has some common sense this off-season and signs him. You can never have enough depth.

96. Rondo says:

How is Hanzal looking?

97. Alice says:

Just tuned in to enjoy the Whitney Bros. show.

Did Hemsky get a little cheer at the beginning, or are the paying schleps still thinking they got fleeced cause it said so in the fishwraps?

98. ashley says:

A “1D” who can pivot when the 39 year old forward goes wide might be the difference between fighting for a playoff spot and 29th place. Seriously.

How fair is it to have everyone working their butt off out there for any opportunity and then have a guy on the backend at 50% health who can’t defend that one on one?

99. sliderule says:

Just brutal gap control by Ryan.As Ray came towards him he stopped backing up and was standing still.

Brutal

100. Lucinius says:

I give more leeway to Ryan Whitney than I do DD. DD got beat by not adhering to some of the most basic fundamentals of goaltending.

Whole team has looked pretty sloppy in their own zone with the exception of Smid/Petry. The forwards in particular have been lazy defensively. It really looks like a bad afternoon game from the Oilers after 1.

101. gogliano says:

1. I don’t get the hate for DD. His save percentage makes him out to be a decent 1B next year. I’d love to see them dump Khabibulin and go after a 1A sort over the summer.

2. This won’t be the same team next year even if they go into the season with a similar lineup. I think they need decent changes on the backend but I also think people are underestimating the development that most players go through in their late teens/early twenties. Players don’t develop incrementally and I think the heart of this team (Hall especially) is getting close to being able to beat out the other teams top players on a consistent basis. There is enough variation in terms of things like health and development that expecting the same result with the same roster seems like a simplification. This still isn’t a great team but there is much more randomness involved in the middle of the order than some posts seem to think. For instance, a miracle like a healthy Whitney would have a huge impact on this team.

Every time PHX’s 3rd pairing hits the ice 4.93 and 83 spell off whoever is on the ice.

Nice to see Renney trying.

103. Lucinius says:

Smid jumping into the play and looking good doing it!

Its a pity he has no shot. Cause he can move the puck deceptively well for a guy with his.. offensively challenged history.

104. DBO says:

like the line switch, mps up now with eberle and gagner and smyth back with Horc an Eager

Renney moved sideburns up with 89 and 14.

Nice to see Renney trying

cabbiesmacker: Watch the play develop again WG. Potter got caught on the pinch, which has been the Oilers modus operandi lately, and Whitney had to cover the right side for him. Potter got back but a bit too late. You’re right as far as Whitney not being as mobile to his right anymore tho.

Piss poor effort by Dubnyk too.

I don’t blame Whitney for having to cover for Potter, but Ray Whitney was not moving fast and Ryan Whitney couldn’t move his feet sharply to take him off the puck, or a least close the gap.

107. Downright Fierce says:

Tippett’s system is monolithic. Love “Oilers hockey,” but I’m more than a little jealous of what the Yotes have been building.

108. jake70 says:

Brownlee has mentioned this multiple times that Smyth and Horcoff were overused first half. It’s showing.

109. spoiler says:

WG

He also gave Eberle a shift with Nuge and Hall earlier.

Some real gritty shifts cycling the puck in the second half of that period. They’re a bit unlucky not to have a goal considering the chances they’ve had.

110. Lucinius says:

It was a much better period, but the slow start could kill them this game. Afternoon games at home are often really hard to get things going early.

But so long as Toronto and Calgary lose tonight I’ll be content.

111. DoubleJ says:

Does anyone know who’s rw on phx 2nd line? Me either I bet he doesn’t get $5. They do have a great mix on the d line.

112. spoiler says:

Smid needs to cruise into the slot there.

DoubleJ:
    Does anyone know who’s rw on phx 2nd line?Me either I bet he doesn’t get $5. They do have a great mix on the d line.

If its Laurie Korpikowski, its the Finn with the Polish name.

I’ve liked him for a few years. Usually has good fancy stats.

Finns win.

114. pboy says:

Eager has been one of the better Oilers today. He’s really played well since the All Star break.

pboy:

Agreed.

He’s miles ahead of where he was early.

If he can learn to play in defensive zone he might out perform his contract.

116. fuzzy muppet says:

welcome back Nuge

117. pboy says:

Nuge!!!!!

118. spoiler says:

pboy,

It’s like Eager has grown a brain. Playing much smarter hockey.

A Wango Zeeee Tangoooooo!

119. pboy says:

And we follow the goal with a 4th line shift……..

120. fuzzy muppet says:

I’m tired of Renney already. Way to put the 4th line out after you score killing any momentum you just built.

What a ninny

121. Marc says:

There are some former Oilers that make me wish they were still Oilers when I see them play.

Raffi Torres is not one of those former Oilers.

122. spoiler says:

Petry has really been attacking the Ozone on the rush today. What a lovely skater. Playing with a ton of confidence.

123. jake70 says:

Hemsky needs to unload that right away.

124. fuzzy muppet says:

Shit.

Phoenix is really boring to watch.

125. spoiler says:

The play was there tonight, but not the results.

126. Lucinius says:

Well, Edmonton had the opportunities to tie it up. made a game of it in the second/third.

Bad first and some shoddy plays by the D failing to keep pucks in caused a lot of pressure to get wasted.

127. jake70 says:

Oilers shooting 3 out 4 shots wide right now.

128. fuzzy muppet says:

They’ve really taken over this period too.

Damn shame

129. DBO says:

So a better goalie and we are tied. Smith playing well. the il look betterin their own zone, not a fire drill at least. A healthy D, and all we need is a goalie upgrade. yes I know a “healthy” d is unlikely, but we do seriously need to look at better goalie options, yes I know Bernier doesn’t have better stats, but I’d like to try him out. Short of one of the chosen ones and a 1st i’d like to see him in Oiler silks. Hope they at least let Danis make a start next game.

130. Lucinius says:

Honestly, for most of the time 91 was on the line with 89/14 he seemed like the better player tonight. Gagner was a bit too light on his pucks (a lot of his passes just had nothing on them) and until the 3rd Eberle was a bit invisible at times.

Well this kills the Flambes so that’s good. I’m still onside with Dubnyk but he’s not grabbing this chance by the nuts.

132. DeadmanWaking says:

Have you never noticed why the team is called the Coppice and Blue? Or that Albert’s contributions to biology were somewhat limited? If you put away the pruning sheers, amazing what can happen when you’re not looking. According to TJ, Nugent grew an inch on sick leave.

“Well, I don’t know about a whole inch,” said the 18-year-old. “But they wrote down 6 foot when they measured me at training camp and this time they wrote down 6-foot-1.”

Just imagine what he’ll be six months from now. A magic bean lifts all boughs.

133. spoiler says:

DoubleJ:

Vrbata. Signed for 3M per. Career .57 ppg NHLer, although he should be better than that this year.

134. spoiler says:

What would a guy like Renney bring at the deadline?

135. SteadyEd says:

Tough afternoon. DD had a rough start.

JW commented that the Smyth camp is looking for 4M per. I’m thinking that this is way too much.

136. DBO says:

1 yr $4, 2 yrs $6. I can live with that. It’s not our money, and we will have lots of cap space next year for sure, and a good amount in 2 years, even with new deals for Eberle, Hall, MPS, Whitney and Smid

Man, I’d want one year at a time. No disrespect to Smyth he’s the Edmonton phonebook but one at a time.

138. DeadmanWaking says:

Traktor: Here’s another litmus test.

Gary Bettman does not play dice with the hockey universe.

Any takers? On the subject of the cosmological constant, Albert was worse than Mr Dithers, who is the spitting image of how Albert would be remembered if he had stayed in his job at the patent office, and succumbed to Swiss norms. After a few lucky guesses they let you grow your hair out. Then he chummed around with Kurt Goedel for decades (I don’t think anyone knows what they were talking about) resting on his 1905 Calder + Hart + Art Ross accomplishments. And you thought Kevin was bad.

139. SteadyEd says:

94 was bad today. He earned his way onto the 3rd line.
    I loved the 83 signing. I’m worried that signing 94 is going to undo ST’s good work.

140. cabbiesmacker says:

Real weak game by Gagner. Thought he, Belanger and Potter were the most guilty. Eager played real well. He earn his contract WG?? Really? How about when Horcoff starts earning his? Lets sweat a $300k overpay now rather than $2M

Beat by a largely veteran Phoenix forward group thats been there before and seen it all before and did the simple things to counteract it.

Renney, MEH

Why would the Oilers give Smyth $4M per? Not like he’s going to go somewhere else or anything. One year contracts. First for 3.75 tops Ryan. If you don’t like it MOVE.

141. SteadyEd says:

One year for 4M though? Seems a little Horcoffee to me. 2M is what he’s worth right now IMO.

142. Rondo says:

Oilers will not be worse than 30th next year.

143. SteadyEd says:

At least we should wait until July 1 to sign him. It will give us the last 25 to see what he really has.

144. spoiler says:

Surely Smyth will get the Lidstrom/Selanne treatment? He’s not going anywhere so why give term? Series of one year contracts, please.

145. DeadmanWaking says:

Here’s my best guess of a typical conversation:

Albert: You know, statistical mechanics is more useful than logic for almost any problem in the real world.
    Kurt: Hah! I challenge you to a game of mine sweeper in ten dimensions.

Too cruel, Kurt, too cruel. And can you imagine the cap hit for those two old geezers at the Institute? You pretty much needed a three digit birthday to hand those guys a fat pen and push their wheelchairs out into the streets.

146. jake70 says:

If Smyth initiated the return, and Tambellini was not out sniffing around to bring him back, then Smyth needs to accept 1 year deals, and 4M is way too high if I am ST. 2.5-3M max if I sign the cheque.

147. cabbiesmacker says:

A list of Forwards Smyths age and older making $4M north.

(the good)

Elias
    Doan
    St Louis
    Selanne
    Alfredsson

(the bad).

(the ugly)

Rolston
    Blake
    Langkow

148. SteadyEd says:

For 2-3M there has to be a big body Vet out there that’s 10 years younger. Why does Penner keep coming to mind?

149. OilClog says:

Woodguy: You forgot Garrison.

Garrison is playing tougher minutes with better results than everyone on your list.He’s the guy.

You’re letting the secret out again..

Garrison is the guy.

150. DSF says:

spoiler:
    What would a guy like Renney bring at the deadline?

McTavish if you throw in a second round pick.

151. Rondo says:

Nikolai Kulemin

152. OilClog says:

DSF: McTavish if you throw in a second round pick.

Send McT and Rens with 50bucks and a case of beer. Call it even

Let Ralf run the show.

153. DSF says:

Anyone know what happened to Horcoff?

Only played 12:10.

Hurt or benched?

154. nathan says:

Figure out what he’s worth for 1 year. Add 100K. Fixed.

DSF: McTavish if you throw in a second round pick.

Done! I’ll drive him to the airport.
    cabbiesmacker,

I was complimenting Eager, why grind about it?

The last time I though Horcoff was earning his contract was the end of the last decade.

I like the player a lot for what he is, but its almost impossible now for him to earn his contract.

I’d do $3MM for Smyth. One year at a time. Even $3.5 next year.

DSF:
    Anyone know what happened to Horcoff?

Only played 12:10.

Hurt or benched?

Not playing on top 2 lines.

Center’s ESTOI

93- 20:22
    89- 18:12
    10- 10:23
    20- 9:10

I’d say that’s almost optimal (if you want to run your lines like they were today, and the 4th was better)

You have two scoring lines, both were playing ok (4,93,83 were the best today)

Run the shit out of those guys, try to get them out vs. 3rd pairing D with quick shifts etc.

Unfortunately 16 and 37 aren’t NHL caliber players, or else its something I’d like to see more of.

Probably another 2 shifts for the 3rd line at the expense of the 4th would have been better.

Putting out the 4th line after a goal is ridiculous.

157. spoiler says:

Nedohin has been a big time shot-maker today. Very impressive under pressure.

158. DSF says:

Woodguy: Not playing on top 2 lines.

Center’s ESTOI

93- 20:22
    89- 18:12
    10- 10:23
    20- 9:10

You have two scoring lines, both were playing ok (4,93,83 were the best today)

Putting out the 4th line after a goal is ridiculous.

That a great return on a $5.5M cap hit.

Considering he also got 1:01 mins of PP time (the same Eberle and Hall and more than Hoppy) he only played 9 minutes at evens.

Yikes. The Emperor has no clothes.

159. "Steve Smith" says:

DSF,

1. I do not think that “ESTOI” means what you think that it means.
    2. Re: “The Emperor has no clothes”. It’s probably time that those of you who like to make awkward segues into Shawn Horcoff’s contract to accept that you are not Daring Iconoclasts.

Also, nice to be back in Edmonton after a week away from the internet – looks like things have gone well in my absence. Remind me to tell you about the dream I had about Gordie Howe, his father Jackie Howe, and bank robberies. Lowetide was mentioned.

160. spoiler says:

Woodguy:

Any idea what 4′s Corsi With Or Without 83 is?

He’s a Corsi machine either way, I’d guess, but I’m wondering what the effect is. Hall has had some real high shot games since the New Year, so maybe it’s significant. Or if you could remind me how I can use Vic’s tool to pull the data, that would be sweet too. Please and thanks.

161. DSF says:

“Steve Smith”:
    DSF,

1. I do not think that “ESTOI” means what you think that it means.
    2. Re: “The Emperor has no clothes”.It’s probably time that those of you who like to make awkward segues into Shawn Horcoff’s contract to accept that you are not Daring Iconoclasts.

Also, nice to be back in Edmonton after a week away from the internet – looks like things have gone well in my absence.Remind me to tell you about the dream I had about Gordie Howe, his father Jackie Howe, and bank robberies.Lowetide was mentioned.

1) What does it mean? I’m all ears.

2) Daring Iconoclasts?…you mean you and all the acolytes thought it was a ridiculous contract at the time it was signed or did you just follow the Daring Iconoclasts in forming your opinion after all the evidence they used to support their position became apparent to the sick and the lame?

162. spoiler says:

Just an incredible throw by Heather. Wow.

163. Rondo says:

Would be a good time to go after N. Kulemin they need a goalie.

164. Rondo says:

Rondo,

G. Landeskog rookie of the year

165. "Steve Smith" says:

DSF,

1. “Even Strength Time On Ice”.
    2. I’ve never invoked “The Emporer’s New Clothes” in discussing Horcoff’s contract. You have (as have others, if memory serves, though at my advanced age it may not).

166. Brett Gee says:

Has anyone brought up this Grant Clitsome fellow. Unfortunate last name, but how are his hockey skills as he is on waivers?

167. DSF says:

Dustin Brown with 2 PPG and a SHG.

Who knew :)

WG…still want that bet?

168. Gret99zky says:

cabbiesmacker:

How about 3 yrs/$6M.

169. DSF says:

“Steve Smith”:
    DSF,

1. “Even Strength Time On Ice”.
    2. I’ve never invoked “The Emporer’s New Clothes” in discussing Horcoff’s contract.You have (as have others, if memory serves, though at my advanced age it may not).

Never.

Voice in the wilderness.

DSF:
    Dustin Brown with 2 PPG and a SHG.

Who knew

WG…still want that bet?

In a heartbeat.

Yikes. The Emperor has no clothes.

You seem to think everyone on this site still thinks what some of us thought 3-4 years ago.

You better let me keep score for the bet. You may use Hemsky’s 09/10 and 10/11 totals thinking those are current too. :)

171. DSF says:

Erik Karlsson with another 3 point night.

spoiler,

Not sure how pull that out. Zona would.

Here’s where I go to figure stuff out:

I’m not good with the scripts and often just grind stuff out manually if I can’t figure out the script.

When checking out individual game stuff I usually just hijack a Copper n’ Blue game report and substitute NHL game numbers to get what I’m looking for.

You may know this, but others might get some benefit.

Head to head TOI as well as team mates TOI: (example is CAL game)

This one is sortable by clicking on headers too. Its awesome.

Fenwick and Corsi from individual game: (example is CAL game)

Vic Ferrari should be praised daily for making these and letting everyone use them.

Thank you sir if you are reading!!

173. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy: Done!I’ll drive him to the airport.
    cabbiesmacker,

I was complimenting Eager, why grind about it?

I’d do $3MM for Smyth.One year ata time.Even $3.5 next year.

Only a small grind for the “might start earning his contract” comment.

You’re a far more optimistic man than myself my friend. I hated the contract as his pen was about half way through the S. It was fun to listen to the MSM and eternal optimist fans flip and flop for the next 2 months on how it stood up against other “#1″ centres in the league tho. The thing they never stopped to consider was that he was miscast as a #1C from day one but in Edmonton?…hell ya.

Love to see Smyth at $3M but man thats a big drop from today and you don’t want to offend the guy too badly. With you on the one year $3.5 max. Smyth’s a better hockey player than big Bert but $2M per is a long ways from 3.5, especially for what I think we all agree should be a tweener 2-3 line minutes wise kinda guy.

He’s still got some damn good game if they don’t run the poor guy ragged on ST’s.

174. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF:
    Erik Karlsson with another 3 point night.

I had a budgie once.

175. cabbiesmacker says:

I wonder if Lombardi’s still looking to move Brown? F me. I bet they wish they’d called him out about 30 games ago.

176. OilLeak says:

Brett Gee:
    Has anyone brought up this Grant Clitsome fellow.Unfortunate last name, but how are his hockey skills as he is on waivers?

He stinks, terribly in fact.

177. Smarmy says:

What’s with all the Karlsson updates? Was he the same draft year as Magnus?

I’m having a tough time keeping up with all these stealth trolls and low info posts.

178. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF: The kid is doing something very special.
    He’s playing the toughest competition, more than 25 minutes a night and is 22 points ahead of Brian Campbell for points by a defenseman.
    Lidstrom’s best season was 80 points…Karlsson is on pace for 84.
    He’s 21 years old.

Very nice kid but since he doesn’t play for Edm or Van so all we can do is marvel from afar.

I think Bobby Orr was the best to ever lace em up myself.

Yes, it’s an attempt to make everyone feel bad about the Oilers because Karlsson plays in OTT. Personally, I’m impressed with the guy, wish he was an Oiler. However, I am able to sleep at night.

180. PunjabiOil says:

Is that enough info?

Do you have a point? In what sense should MPS be compared to him?

You are the same guy who preached that Taylor Hall is comparable to Ethan Moreau.

181. gogliano says:

Rodrigo Palacio with two goals for Genoa today.

182. wordbird says:

It’s goalie meltdown night in the NHL. hope Tambellini is putting in ‘courtesy’ calls to Philly, Chicago and Toronto between now and Monday.

183. Scatman Crothers says:

First time poster, looooong time reader of both articles and comments. Just wondering if its possible to put a poster on ignore? If not can that be implemented? I’m tired of being trolled on what is otherwise the best website on the internet.

184. Deeg says:

wordbird,

Philly seems to be close to the cap – but I wonder what Chicago and Toronto could offer.

185. oilersfan says:

we oilersfans need to inform the idiot nation msm about hemsky. their ignorance pisses me off. the 26-33 top pts/game players are in order briere hemsky marleau stastny kopitar elias nash and toews since the lockout. avg salary not including hemsky are 6.6 million. avg age is 29. how is hemsky overpaid? i tried to tweet john shannon but i am new to twitter and those dam 140 characters really slow a guy down.

Here’s a thought.

v4.0 signed Hemsky to a 2 year extension in order to make a Hemsky for Brown trade as Lombardi wouldn’t do it unless Hemsky was extended.

Brown has 2 years left on his deal.

Danny: You can call this post paranoid.

187. Gerta Rauss says:

Scatman Crothers,

Welcome aboard buddy.

We’re really sorry about that whole Shining thing.

Honest.

I thought Mike Smith played really well tonight and was probably the difference-not a lot of 5 bell chances and he didn’t give up much.

188. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    Here’s a thought.
    Brown has 2 years left on his deal.
    Danny: You can call this post paranoid.

ST doing a solid for a guy he hosed less than a year before. I like it.

Lombardi would have wanted a 3 year minimum deal tho.

And Brown is their captain and a lot less of an injury risk signed for the same term at less money.

Better scenario would be ST going and getting Brown anyways. For Barker and a 7th.

189. Hack says:

Couldn’t take it any more, finally had to write a letter to the editor of the Sun regarding Terry Jones. The guy can’t write a single article lately without slagging Hemsky.

“Hemsky when requested to speak to the media, declined the invitation, as almost always.”

What an ego on that guy.

190. Dipstick says:

I doubt that Burke will trade for Khabbi. He has stated quite adamantly that the deadline is not his preferred time to trade, since it always implies an overpayment. Of course, desperation can do strange things to people.