G63 Blues at Oilers

The Edmonton Oilers will be spending the next few months on a treasure hunt. What are they looking for? Mark Howe 1974, Scott Stevens 1982, Ray Bourque in 1979 or Al MacInnis in 1981. The Oilers will very likely spend their lottery pick on a defenseman at the 2012 entry draft, in search of a franchise defender to go with their exceptional forward group.

This is Ryan Murray. He is the odds-on favorite to be the first defenseman chosen at this year’s entry draft. Murray has a wide range of skills and the scouting reports have been glowing:

• Scouting Report at WJ camp: “Murray is a very good two-way player.  He showed a strong first pass, and was calm and reliable in his end.   A good skater.  Very good acceleration and closing speed although his lateral movement was just ok.  Quick release with his wrist shot.”
  • Boucher Scouting has Murray’s performance at the WJ’s graded out in his own unique way. The young man was used on the PK and on the RH side during the tournament and was effective in a lower profile role.
  • WHL from Above says “When watching Murray, the first thing that comes to the forefront is his skating. He’s an excellent skater and really makes things look effortless out on the ice. He uses that ability to lead the rush and jump into the rush. He also puts up offence because he’s a strong passer and has a very good shot from the point.”

Because his skating is the most obvious skill, Murray gets compared to Scott Niedermayer a lot. His offensive output does not compare well for Niedermayer at the same age:

• Murray at 18: 36, 8-16-24
  • Niedermayer at 18: 57, 26-56-82

Different era’s–Niedermayer’s team scored 385 goals and Murray’s will score 180. Murray is in on 15% of Everett’s goals and Niedermayer was part of 21% of Kamloops offense.

I’d bet money Murray’s the target for the Edmonton Oilers. If he was a little meaner they’d love him even more is my guess, but that skating ability will be hard for the Oilers to pass up. My bet is MBS likes him plenty and we’ll have to see about Reinhart’s late break–the Oil King will get a long look during the post-season.

Not much to say about the game tonight, Hitchcock is like Hitchcock in that you know someone is going to be dead and the victim is obvious after the first few frames.  The genius of the Hitchcock’s is you’re not exactly sure where the plot twists.

205 Responses to "G63 Blues at Oilers"

Newer Comments »
  1. regwald says:

I am not sure there is much of a plot twist with St. Louis/Hitchcock right now. Stifling defensive play, solid goaltending and finishing checks in all areas of the rink.

This team with it’s size and ability will be a force to be reckoned with come play-off time and really for the next few years as the team comes into it’s own.

Their biggest risk is ownership troubles cause it to wilt and die due to $$$ issues and neglect.

2. serum114 says:

I like Murray, though I don’t see him as being a truly high end offensive talent on the back end. Everything about his game that I’ve been able to discern in limited viewings and then looking at the numbers through different lenses and from different angles reminds me of Wade Redden, or possibly Jay Bouwmeester.

I understand the desire and inclination to make Niedermayer comps, however I would certainly not scoff at being able to add a player of Redden/J-Bo caliber.

3. serum114 says:

Just for numbers sake:

Redden at 18 – 64: 14-46=60 (60 of 315 = 19%)

J-Bo at 18 – 61: 11-50=61 (61 of 278 goals = 22%)

4. Bos8 says:

One last kick at the big trade.

I kept waiting for somebody to question, why the trade now. The teams are going nowhere.Why not wait till summer when there is time and there are options. Finally Dawgbone brought it up on another site.

The question remains unanswered. Why now?

I don’t buy “They lost their minds”/”They never had a full deck”reasoning. These people are running a multi million dollar operation with some degree of success. Somewhere there is some rationale for this move.

Now I’m basically for this move because I don’t like exciting hockey in your own end. Gilbert created his share of exciting hockey. Hopefully with Schlultz there will be less of that.

However, why now with limited options? It effectively eliminated all teams in the playoff hunt. As Cashman of the Yankees likes to say “We have assets”. Helps to maintain your objectivity.

Now back to the regular programming

5. "Steve Smith" says:

To continue the ONSV% discussion from last thread, here is the study I was thinking of.

Bos8,

The question remains unanswered. Why now?

My guess is that a player they have always liked became available.

So TSN has an exclusivity on NHL broadcasting in Canada during the CHI-TOR game tonight so the first period of the EDM-STL game on Sportsnet will be blacked out. Blacked out on Center Ice too.

Let’s send email’s to audiencerelations@tsn.ca and let them know that we want to watch our Oilers and not their Leafs!

7. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy,

And cc Vic Toews.

8. kosiork says:

Given the disparity in the scouting reports and the feeling that this is a “weak” draft, I feel we should consider dealing down or out of the first round altogether if a reasonably young defender is available. If the management team has an interest in pulling out of rebuild mode, this would likely help speed things up.

9. Downright Fierce says:

Matty has a draft piece up today, too. Funny. In the spring, Oilers fans’ fancy lightly turns to thoughts of drafting.

One good thing about this year is that the Oil aren’t cemented at 30th already. If they can crawl pass a team or two in the bottom 5, then I’ll feel much better if they select a D. If they end up picking 2nd or 1st (thank you, lottery), then my love for MBS changes on a dime should they reach for Murray or Reinhart (amazing MemCup runs excluded).

Schultz as rookie shelter has crossed my mind many times since the trade. White City (Murray) ain’t too far from Strasbourg (Schultz). A seasoned shutdown vet from the same area code as the widely-touted “most ready to transition” D-man in the draft? Smoke. Fire. Et cetera.

10. LMHF#1 says:

I have a really tough time getting over that game against the Russians at WJC when it comes to Murray. I know that seems odd, but he didn’t adjust his game at all as things went horribly wrong. If I’d seen that in other games throughout the WHL season, I would be quite concerned.

11. DBO says:

Unless they get top pick I now expect them to draft Murray. I actually would like the Forsberg kid, who is a true two way power forward, with defensive awareness (he is a swede after all). Would love to see him with Gagner and Eberle. But I doubt they go that way, but in Stew we hope.

I expect if they don’t draft a Dman, i hope one of the kids steps up and forces their way into the lineup. If they draft Grigorenko I wonder if they move Gagner (especially if he wants $4 mill a year).

“Steve Smith”:
    Woodguy,

And cc Vic Toews.

HA!

13. stevezie says:

DBO,

I don’t see how you could have Grigorenko and Gagner on this roster, unless one of them moves to wing or becomes good enough defensively to make Belanger expendable.

14. Bos8 says:

This is the last kick at the can I would think, as in Draft choice. Kind of the watershed. Before it was dummy down, pick the best player – obvious choice, pick and go home. Now if they pick a D, the ripple effect cements Gagner as your #2 center. Going by the Oilers play lately they’d probably be picking #4/5. I’m kind of partial to Galchenyuk (if fully recovered) then Girgenson/Faksa.

Looking forward to the playoffs, the question is, can the Gagner/Eberle line compete against the bigger teams? If you feel they can, with the addition of someone like Eager, with better in play decisions, than you pick the best D. Otherwise you pick a big two way center with the idea that you will trade Gagner down the road for the role ready young D.

RNH is sheltered right now with the two Hs, as in too many targets, and high tempo plays. The other two not so much.

15. DBO says:

16. Bos8 says:

Does anyone know if Forsberg plays C? I’ve seen him listed as both LW and C.

17. Bos8 says:

DBO: So did MPS get sent down on Monday so he is eligible for AHL playoffs? Seem to remember that being a rule or something. Wonder if they keep him down there rest of the year and let him and Lander and Omark get on a roll.

According to reports it was a paper shuffle thing. The move made him eligible for OKC playoffs.

18. pboy says:

19. DBO says:

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
    Forsberg-Gagner-Eberle

or

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
    MPS-Grigorenko-Eberle

20. DBO says:

pboy: Todd Nelson said on one of the local shows yesterday that he planned on having the 3 Swedes play on the same line and get a lot of PP time. I liked hearing that.

Awesome. Wish that line would have gotten some run at the NHL level since they were great in pre season the one game they played together. At least Omark will be happy, since he’ll get his buddies with him in OKC. Let them dominate, then see what they have next year. I still wonder if Lander can be a 2nd line centre. He played well with Hemsky and MPS the one game.

21. Ducey says:

With MTL just two points up, a must lose tonight.

At least Carolina won and the NYI got a Bettman point last night.

Besides watching the Oilers and cheering for them to stay in the lottery, I will be watching the Flames and Leaves over the next two months. The lynch mobs are starting to form in both towns. Burke won’t make the playoffs for the 4th straight year and the fans were quite loudly screaming “Fire Wilson” last night. Good times.

Despite evidence that the Flames won’t make the playoffs, Feaster has somehow managed to convince Flames fans that all will be well in July when he has some cap space. I really doubt that he will do much more than add a few more old and overpaid free agents to an old and overpaid lineup.

22. DBO says:

I live in Calgary now, and it’s fun at the office. Most fans are pissed about lack of effort and lack of anything at deadline. They all know Kipper is the only reason they are even close. Most can’t accept blowing it up, so while they are not happy about position, they are not willing to clear the deck and cash in on Iginla and Kipper. Imagine what they could have gotten for those two. it still might happen, but if the Rangers fail in the playoffs, or San Jose crumbles again those two teams alone are perfect spots for Iginla and Kipper respectively. The consternation and anger is great in this city. Makes me happy, especially after the drubbing we gave them the other day. hehe. Yeah we have issues, but at least we can see some light (even through the dark cloud of management).

23. Traktor says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Woodguy,

And cc Vic Toews.

24. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Bos8,

So TSN has an exclusivity on NHL broadcasting in Canada during the CHI-TOR game tonight so the first period of the EDM-STL game on Sportsnet will be blacked out.Blacked out on Center Ice too.

I wonder why Sportsnet and TSN didn’t work something out for a few $$ to allow Sportsnet to broadcast the Oiler game in Edmonton. Seems silly to start one period in.

DBO:

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
    Forsberg-Gagner-Eberle

or

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
    MPS-Grigorenko-Eberle

I think RNH should play with Eberle and Hall should be with Gagner and Hemsky.

Hall , Hemsky and RNH all need the puck.

I think running x-93-14, 4-89-83 is superior to running 93 with 4 and 83.

bookje: I wonder why Sportsnet and TSN didn’t work something out for a few $$ to allow Sportsnet to broadcast the Oiler game in Edmonton.Seems silly to start one period in.

TSN having exclusivity is probably a big deal to their advertisers. (hat tip to @ryan_batty) and TSN is able to charge more for their Wednesday night game due to the exclusivity.

EDM is a small TV market, therefore shaft.

27. jake70 says:

Woodguy:
    Bos8,

The question remains unanswered. Why now?

My guess is that a player they have always liked became available.

Timing of Gilbert trade. In Tambellini’s presser on Monday, I think Rishaug asked him this question…….not 100% sure but I think his answer was availability of the player etc.

28. Braintrust says:

I am terrified that this trade is going to make us better and win more games this year. How are we going to get Murray unless we lose most of the games left?! Have you looked at the overall standings lately? We need to go on a serious losing streak to clinch the shot at the #2 pick. What sucks even more is that we have 2 games in hand on Montreal and are only 2 points back. At this point, it is all about NEXT year.

29. Bos8 says:

I like the Nuge where he is for the remainder of the season. Mostly because of his health issues, but also to further develop his out of the box thinking. And I’m selfish, watching that high speed play is just orgasmic. Hemsky and Nuge passing the puck into the net is just totally risible as witness the Jones goal. Hall and Hemsky – Basically the two don’t need a center but it’s a belly tickler to see Nuge with them. There was Nuge in front of the net for a rebound, boom, all of a sudden there’s a puck on his stick., brain cramp. Love it.

30. DSF says:

Renaud P Lavoie ‏ @renhockey

#oilers tried to trade Éric Bélanger Monday. Edmonton a tenté d’échanger Éric Bélanger lundi. Sans succès.

31. DBO says:

Hall , Hemsky and RNH all need the puck.

I think running x-93-14, 4-89-83 is superior to running 93 with 4 and 83.

I tend to agree. Just seems like renney wants to load up that one line. if you move Gagner with Hall and Hemsky they’ll start with the puck way more since Gagner has significantly improved his faceoffs. your lineup makes me want the Forsberg kid even more, as a big two way winger with enough skill to keep up is a great fit with RNH and Eberle, eespecially since he is way more physical then MPS, who is accurately described as a bigger Dvorak (which is just fine).

Our lines next year then

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    ?Forsberg?-RNH-Eberle
    Smyth-Horcoff-MPS
    Eager-Belanger-Jones
    Lander-Omark

I like that lineup. More balance, more size (with Forsberg), and the third line has a chance to be a great shutdown line with some scoring, especially since they all have enough size and speed (not so much Smyth) to play with anybody. And the 4th line becomes almost an equivalent checking line.

32. hunter1909 says:

oilers play 20 more games. Playoffs out of the question. Top level draft pick is totally in the equation.

Lose tonight already!

I’m so fucking tired of watching the perennial bubble oilers in these: “Well, the pressure’s off us losers, so now we can relax and steal a few games and bullshit ourselves into training camp”.

I’ll even give this a name: the annual Shawn Horcoff’s Annual Second Season.

Shawn Horcoff’s A.S.S.

33. Bos8 says:

DBO: I guess the question is: which of these forward groups will be better in a playoff series. Hall-RNH-HemskyForsberg-Gagner-EberleorHall-RNH-HemskyMPS-Grigorenko-EberleObviously best case we get top pick, then it becomes easy. But i still like the forsberg kid as a more ready better fit (ala Landeskog).

Landeskog is a monster, totally dominates play on the ice. And he’s gonna get better.

If Forsberg is anything like him, yes please. Don’t like the D top picks that much. They’re a crapshoot all up and down the line. The Forsberg pick wouldn’t come back and bite you.

34. Ducey says:

DBO,

You have Omark in the hole on the “5th line”.

His ELC is up at the end of this season and if I’m right he would have to clear waivers. It would seem that he he is almost certain to be traded, isn’t he?

35. hunter1909 says:

Traktor: Speaking of rights being taken away, the US just passed a bill that can arrest US citizens for peaceful protests http://rt.com/usa/news/348-act-tresspass-buildings-437/

Why do this? It’s a disgrace to it’s founding fathers.

On a hockey note, Montreal Canadiens, proud 24x champs in total tank mode. Seems they like what they see in Edmonton, lol.

36. Gret99zky says:

Penner’s wife files for divorce today.

That might explain the slump. I wonder if he needs a change of scenery for his next contract.

37. rickithebear says:

LT murray has played 36 of Everetts 60 games or 60% of the games. roughly 92 of the 153 goals would have been generated at that time.
    24/92 = 26% of everetts offence.
    Or was I correct re hemsky and all games for production. ;)

Murray at 18:6’1″ 200lb 36, 8-16-24 26% of everett offence.
    Schultz at 18: 6’1″ 200Lb 59, 17-30-47, 23% of raiders offence.

38. hunter1909 says:

Pajaarvi being sent back to OKC is a smart idea.

39. Jordan says:

Um… I’m not sure if some of you have missed the memo, but Ryan Murray has really fallen off. Button no longer has him ranked in the top 5, ISS at 5, and I expect there will be a similar drop from other scouting groups in the next few months. Granted, he can’t carry a terrible everett team on his own, but… his team is hurting him, and his draft stock. Hope he recovers, but I’m not sold on him – rather take a winner.

I’ve been riding the Reinhart express for this draft since last may. Not only is he the most pro ready defenseman in the draft, he’s also the big multi-tool dman who could be the next Pronger (except without the Edmonton reporter-hating wife?!).

I know there are a lot of people who like Dumba’s Skill, but he’s a huge gambler – much like Mr. Green in Washington. I, and others have questioned how that will translate to the NHL. We’ve had enough experiments with Grebs’ acid trip plays. Griffin has been much more solid in his own end, which considering how solid our offense looks to be up front… I don’t see the need for Dumba’s risky plays.

So, when you consider:
    – Griffin’s huge
    – He’s pro ready habits-wise and attitude wise
    – He’s a safe pick at a position of need with pretty big upside
    – He’s already in the Oilers organization (baby Oilers)

Seems to me like a natural for the team, no?

40. CrazyCoach says:

Gret99zky: Penner’s wife files for divorce today.

Like Mickey used to tell Rocky, “Women weaken legs Rock. Women weaken legs!”

41. Gerta Rauss says:

Jordan,

thanks for the update Jordan

I guess the question becomes do you take him at #2..?

I think the Oilers will wind up picking 4/5 so it might not become an issue.

42. Ribs says:

Oilers tweet…

Broadcast update: #Oilers #STLBlues game will now be shown live in its entirety starting at 8pm MT in the #Oilers broadcast region on SNW

Ribs:
    Oilers tweet…

BOOM!!!!

Bitching and whining for the win!!

44. Jordan says:

Ribs,

Ha. Guess TSN got the memo.

Sucks to be an Oilers fan outside of SK & AB.

Question for the masses:

When was the last time Theo drew in? Can’t remember seeing him play for ages – not that I mind, just seems…. unusual. Anyone know whats up, other than he’s not been good enough?

45. bookje says:

Ribs:
    Oilers tweet…

Looks like sportsnet sent TSN a basket of cheese and a case of beer.

46. oilersfan says:

I think Filip Forsberg made a huge error not coming to the CHL this year like Landeskog did last year. Button is comparing him to Brendan Shanahan, not for fighting but for the power forward skill set. That being said, he is playing in the non elite league in Sweden and has 15 points in 39 games as a 17 year old. As a 16 year old in a similar minor pro league in Russia Grigorenko scored 35 points in 43 games, so it seems to me Grigorenko is the better player.

That being said, we don’t know much about the minutes Forsberg gets . who knows maybe he isn;t on the power play etc, but after watching MP the last two seasons one has to be concerned about using a lottery pick to take a big swede not scoring in the swedish minor pro leagues. hell MP scored at that rate in the elite league and he can’t score here. So the bells are going off for me with forsberg.

Lowetide, please remember to try to interview a coach or play by play guy from Regina regarding Marincin and Davidson. I would love to hear how MM is doing now that he is on a contender. Just under a point per game I wonder if he is still playing 30 minutes a night like in Prince George, what do the coaches think of him? Crazy coach said here that MM is considered one of the best dmen in the WHL right now and the locals in PG consider him the best player for the Cougars in years , including Brett Connely.

47. CJ says:

Woodguy: I think RNH should play with Eberle and Hall should be with Gagner and Hemsky.Hall , Hemsky and RNH all need the puck.Gagner likes the puck, but doesn’t need it like the above 3 guys, and Eberle is best at getting into a shooting position without the puck.I think running x-93-14, 4-89-83 is superior to running 93 with 4 and 83.The skill on that line is ridiculous, but its not balanced when you compare it to 89-14.

I like your thinking. I’ll through in another wrinkle. Put Eager on the left side to protect them.

48. copperblueandwhite says:

Looks like Schultzie draws first pairing D with Whitney tonite:

49. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m going from memory here so take it for what it’s worth-

He got hit with a puck/or hit in the nose and had “sinus issues” for a while, and when healed he had a tough time slotting in to the roster(Kreuger played the same lineup several games in a row). Barker drew in for Gilbert in WPG and now Schultz will (probably) draw in for Barker.

I like Theo but I think he’s in a tough spot with this club right now.

50. oilersfan says:

sorry to hear about Penner. I honestly think if he got to play LW with RNH and Eberle he would get 30 goals and 60 points again. Oilers could sign him this summer for a 1 year deal and trade him at the deadline for a first and a former first :)

two summers ago the flames signed Jokinen after trading him to NYR. Everyone laughed at Sutter but now he is their second best forward and Lawton on Sportsnet said last week that jokinen would have fetched a first and a prospect at the deadline. I wonder if the Oilers would consider it with Penner?

51. commonfan14 says:

CJ: Also, I think we will regret not taking Dumba. He has better offensive upside than Murray and hits like a Mack Truck (think Kronwall)

52. Bar_Qu says:

hunter1909,

Hunter, I think you are a fine human being, as human beings go, but I am more interested in seeing the Oilers win meaningless games at the end of the season rather than see them lose to keep “2nd” place. No value in that.

And I am 100% behind Peanuts in his debut tonight. Hope he makes us feel about him like we did about Gator.

53. Jordan says:

commonfan14,

We’ll find out the real numbers at the combine. Not a (huge) concern at this point.

Agree though about sustainability at the NHL level. As I said above, having a forward cheat for offense is one thing. Having a D man do it is quite another. From what I’ve seen, his decision-making would need to improve a fair bit for that to be a part of his repetoire at the NHL level.

Not convinced its there – That’s a big part of why I like Reinhart better.

54. CJ says:

commonfan14: Is he bigger than the 6’0″, 166 lbs that hockeydb has him listed as? How sustainable is that at the NHL level if he isn’t?

Kromwall is 6’0″, 189lbs. I’m guessing he wasn’t any bigger than Dumba when drafted. Hitting is either in your blood or not (i.e. Paajarvi). He also looked better than Murray at the prospects game (positionally and toughness). Check out the clip below;

Sideburns back to the AHL.

Renney is allergic to having 3 good lines and a 4th that doesn’t drown.

Get rid of him.

And no, Paajarvi doesn’t have to go down now to play in the AHL playoff, he just has to be on the clear day roster.

Remember when the Oilers beat the Ducks in the 06 playoffs?

Getzlaf and Perry went to the AHL right after and played in the playoffs there.

Gumble, grumble.

Put Jones on the 4RW, put PRV at 3RW.

Playing Petrell over PRV #IsMental /@SHorcov

56. spoiler says:

I agree with flipping Nuge for Samwise. Had the same thought after the last game. Besides the fact all 3 presently on the 1st like to carry the puck, Gagner is greatly helped by having the space to operate that Hall gives him. Not to mention Gagner is lightyears ahead of RNH in the faceoff circle right now. RNH has 2 FO wins in his last 20. Put Gags up there with Hall and Hemsky so they’re not starting off without the puck 90% of the time.

Give RNH a winger like Smytty or Eager who can help with the faceoff wins and the cycle, add Eberle and stir.

57. Ducey says:

Put Jones on the 4RW, put PRV at 3RW.

Sending MPS down to OKC is a good move.

He can play in the top 6, get lots of minutes and play on special teams. He has just 8 points and 4 PIM’s in 40+ games this year in the NHL. He has looked better recently but he has a ways to go to earn his way into the top 6 in EDM.

I’d be fine with him staying down there for the balance of the season. If they need a body, they should see what they have in Omark before they need to waive/ trade him next year.

Got a letter back from TSN:

Hi Darcy,

Thank you for taking the time to voice your frustration. We have been listening.

We would like you to know that tonight’s St. Louis @ Edmonton game will be available live in its entirety in the Oilers broadcast region.

Please know that we were also frustrated by this scheduling conflict.

Tonight’s Chicago-Toronto game was allotted to TSN by the NHL at the beginning of the season as part of TSN’s national NHL broadcast package that includes exclusivity of Wednesday Night Hockey games, during which there are no other national or local NHL telecasts. This is common for national NHL broadcasters – similar to CBC’s exclusivity of Saturday games, during which there are no other national or local NHL telecasts.

TSN sincerely values your feedback. Once again, we thank you for your comments and hope you enjoy tonight’s games.

Regards,
    Chobi
    TSN Audience Relations

Thank you TSN.

You paid for the exclusive and have the right to exercise it. Oiler fans thank you for lifting the blackout in our region.

Ducey,

I disagree.

Paajarvi may never be a top 6 player in the NHL.

His play has been excellent lately and he deserves to stay.

Petrell will not be an Oiler after this year.

Giving Petrell NHL ice time ahead of PRV is terrible asset management.

These games mean nothing for this year except for team cohesion for the future.

Petrell isn’t a part of that future, PRV is.

Jones can play 4RW, PRV 3RW.

He will get lots of good ice time at 3RW and it will help him more than playing top 6 in the AHL imo.

60. FastOil says:

Gret99zky:
    Penner’s wife files for divorce today.

That might explain the slump.I wonder if he needs a change of scenery for his next contract.

I predict Ms. Welch will continue to have irreconcilable differences with major league athletes.

61. bookje says:

Woodguy: To thank you I will watch the comedy that will be CHI smacking around TOR until the EDM games starts and hope you and your advertisers get full value for their $.

Wow TSN – nice. My general experience when contacting major organizations is to receive an automated email telling me they received my feedback and then either nothing or some kind of stupid generic pleasantry two weeks later.

62. Ducey says:

Woodguy,

MPS has had maybe 5 games in the top 6 this year in the NHL and another 10 in the AHL. There is not enough information to know whether he could play top 6 in the NHL because he has not be able to learn it/ show it.

He is too much a perimeter player right now. If he goes to OKC he might learn to spend some time in the paint, learn to shoot more, etc.

Its not a matter of Petrell over MPS. Its a question of whats best for MPS.

“Deserves got nothing to do with it”

63. cabbiesmacker says:

Wish we knew what Oilers management’s plan is for the remainder of the year. Are we trying to WIN and if so…WHY?

Finish ahead of or near to the Flames and pound it up Feaster’s anal orifice?

Afraid of the inherant risks that go with drafting a Rooskie?

Go up a position or two on draft day so as not to be utterly embarassed and NOT PROUD to be top 2 picking in three consecutive years?

Allow OK City to make some hay in the AHL playoffs?

Try in some feeble way to show the fanbase that there’s been improvement outside of the kids maturing?

Outside of the AHL success factor and the the kids experiencing that, is there a drawback to using the rest of the year to ASSESS how some of them perform at the NHL level? If there isn’t why not run some of them to replace players either on the bubble in 12/13 or already predetermined to be locks? Hell, give Smyth, Horcoff, Whitney, or any player with a shaving cut a rest for the last 20.

Seamus O’mark, MPS, Twobears, Hartikainen, Cornet, Plante? Would it not be prudent to try and see if MPS and Seamus can recreate some of last years magic, maybe flanking Lander even, before signing off on some of the vets and nailing down a top 2 – 3 pick in the process? Gotta think a #2 overall is worth a lot more than a #4 if you were thinking of trading it no?

Am I just being obtuse here? (bugger off Steve Smith)

64. Marc says:

No one has mentioned this yet, but the win over Winnepeg was the Oilers’ 25th this season, matching last season’s total with 20 games left to play.

Last year’s final goal differential was -76. This year it is currently -17.

For all wailing and gnashing of teeth, this team is a lot better than it was last year.

The Oilers were 6-6 in February and went 3-2 on the road. If they simply maintain that pace for the rest of the season they’ll end up with 76 points – 14 points and 10 wins better than last season.

65. cabbiesmacker says:

In previous post I meant “go down” a position or two vs “up”. I was meaning going “up” in standings and therefore “down” in draft position.

66. Marc says:

Historically, 76 points usually has a team drafting 3rd-6th. Looking at the standins that seems about right for the Oilers. I doubt they catch any Western Conference teams, but three of the bottom four Eastern teams have a goal differential that’s worse than Edmonton’s and they’re all within 6 points of the Oilers, so I suspect we’ll overtake a few of them in the last quarter of the season.

67. DBO says:

MPS to minors may be good. But remember, he had to be sent down in order to be eligible for the playoffs (although Staples mentioned he will probably go to World championships anyways). Also, he can be recalled back and forth no problem, so he may be back sooner then later.

That being said, i would sooner see him and the all swede line playing real minutes and winning, instead of shuffling in and out based on Renney’s hate for Swedes!?!?!?!? Kidding, as he played Lander way too much.

I think they have to let them get their offensive confidence back in the minors (Lander and MPS) and would hope they give Omark some run up here to see if he actually fits in this lineup or to showcase him for a trade at the draft (which is when he would be dealt)

Ducey:
    Woodguy,

MPS has had maybe 5 games in the top 6 this year in the NHL and another 10 in the AHL.There is not enough information to know whether he could play top 6 in the NHL because he has not be able to learn it/ show it.

He is too much a perimeter player right now.If he goes to OKC he might learn to spend some time in the paint, learn to shoot more, etc.

Its not a matter of Petrell over MPS.Its a question of whats best for MPS.

“Deserves got nothing to do with it”

I think playing NHL players on a line with Horcoff is much better for him than playing in the AHL and its not close.

bookje: Wow TSN – nice.My general experience when contacting major organizations is to receive an automated email telling me they received my feedback and then either nothing or some kind of stupid generic pleasantry two weeks later.

I got the boiler

69. gogliano says:

You know what is funny? Lowetide’s reasonable expectations projection for the year: -24. Current projection: -22.

GA prediction: 247; current projection: 243
    GF prediction: 223; current projection: 221

Definitely a long ways from -76 but also only over a little more than 1/3 of the way to cup contender. Still nice to see some progress.

Woodguy,

That got submitted before I was done (although I do have a boiler)

I got the boiler plate after my initial email, the nice one came later.

I’m quite impressed by them.

71. Jordan says:

Marc,

It is really interesting to look at how the Oilers are doing win-loss vs. goal differential.

29th in the league by points and tied for 21st in the league by goal differential.

This team is probably better than their record shows… I would love to see another 50+ goal differential increase next year.

Ah, blue skies…

72. DBO says:

The difference between playoffs and golfing early is even strength play. And I have high hopes for continued improvement from the kids, and based on additions an improved 4th line (Simply put, again, Eager-Belanger-Jones is a solid 4th line). If the kids score at the same rate but improve 5on5 play, then we are in the playoffs, since with the #1 PP we will hurt a lot of teams based on the skill of our kids drawing penalties. A healthy Whitney, Steady Shultz, Petry’s progression will help, but ultimately it’ll come down to the kids getting better in our own end.

73. DBO says:

And quick note on Shultz. Best comparison of him and his role to oiler dynasty was Lee Fogolin. Solid, professional guy who takes no shit. If he fills that role, then he is a great addition. Yeah it sucks it took Gilbert, and the two of them on team makes us so much better, but I think he’ll work out better then we realize, especially if he serves as a mentor to the young dmen about play in your own zone.

gogliano:
    You know what is funny?Lowetide’s reasonable expectations projection for the year: -24.Current projection: -22.

GA prediction: 247; current projection: 243
    GF prediction: 223; current projection: 221

Definitely a long ways from -76 but also only over a little more than 1/3 of the way to cup contender.Still nice to see some progress.

Yeah, I think the Oilers are about where we might have expected them to be based on roster at the start of the year. I suggest 13th in conference, 27th overall, so maybe a hair too high but then again the goal differential suggests they might have a little better record than they currently enjoy.

rickithebear:
    LT murray has played 36 of Everetts 60 games or60% of the games. roughly 92 of the 153 goals would have been generated at that time.
    24/92 = 26% of everetts offence.
    Or was I correctre hemsky and all games for production. ;)

Murray at 18:6’1″ 200lb36, 8-16-2426% of everett offence.
    Schultzat 18: 6’1″ 200Lb 59, 17-30-47, 23% ofraiders offence.

Of course you’re right, sorry about the error.

76. sliderule says:

I doubt the Oil will draft Murray.He reminds me of Chorney .Great skater ,not very physical and not as much offence as you might expect from that type of player.

Gregorenko will be our choice if we finish second last.If we move up the standings they might take a shot at Galchenyuk if they feel he has recovered from injury.

77. Gret99zky says:

I would much rather watch the team win and learn to win rather than tank again.

The hockey gods may have selective hearing, granting the “Please let us lose and finish high in the draft,” and missing the “but only for a couple of years” part of the prayer.

Perfect scenerio. Finish 25 overall (5 places better than last year) best PP in the league and then win the draft lottery. Bam!

I think it’s very important to win as many games as possible down the stretch. Why? For crying out loud, when you’ve been in the ditch for 5 years and see an opening, how fucked do you have to be to ponder if the timing is right?

SHOOT THE MOON!

LMHF#1:

Draftable players normally don’t make the WJC team, and if they do, don’t play a major role. Murray played a major role on the WJC team as a draftable player, and on defence.

Neither Pieterangelo, nor Cowan looked very good post draft against the Americans in that WJC finals loss.

The coaches were putting Murray out there even though he was struggling in that game, and they had much more experience defensemen.

80. gogliano says:

At this point I’m not sure how much difference there is between drafting #2 v. #4–unless you’re sold on Grigorenko–so it is the perfect time for a run. A solid final stretch is unlikely to take them past more than MTL and one of NYI/CAR.

81. Gret99zky says:

I thought Chicago would be a good playoff team this year.

With their current goaltending, not so much.

SHOOT THE MOON!

Amen!

Sing it brother!

83. Gret99zky says:

Hopefully Renney has been told to win more than half of the remaining games before contract talk.

He has a healthy line-up and much improved special teams.

Time for Tambi to put some heat on the coaching staff.

84. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Lowetide:
    SHOOT THE MOON!
    Amen!
    Sing it brother!

I seriously doubt if Mr. Katz is concerned with how many pointless “wins” the team collects prior to Draft Day.

Kevin Lowe, and Steve Tambellini have already been forced to return a still not ready Renney back behind the bench, immediately after lame duck Krueger figured out how the team could win games.

Don’t forget, these are proud men.

Besides, finishing 29th covers Tambo’s semi-promise not to pick 1st in 2012.

85. Gret99zky says:

Meh, I think with significant injuries a team can disguise a tank job.

But this line-up is healthy and it’s time to see which players (esp vets) and coaches are wheat and which are chaff down the stretch.

86. hunter1909 says:

Anyone remember that movie STIR CRAZY? Being a fan of this team is basically when Gene Wilder gets let out of that tiny punishment hot box, then begs the the guards to let him back in, because he was just starting to get into his head.

Imagine This: Sam Gagner waits a month to get his 8 point game, but got traded at the deadline and scores it for his new team. I’ll take Tambellini’s glacial evaluations to Brian Burke’s trading away Seguin, or Dean Lombardi trading the future for a pair of notorious Philadelphia party animals.

87. Gret99zky says:

hunter1909:

A hundred and twenty five years… Oh God, Oh God… I’ll be a hundred and sixty one when I get out.

88. sliderule says:

I would like this team to finish with 84 points.

Will that happen?No!!

We have too many warts that we just have too keep evaluating, evaluating and evaluating.

There are no and I mean NO defencemen in the draft who would be top five in the last five years.

There will be a couple of forwards picked in top ten other than the two Russians who will shine.

OK Stu do your job

89. Gret99zky says:

Stu is so Damn Magnificent.

Yesterday he got an additional day with the #365 pick.

90. danny says:

So far so good. NHL Center Ice feed working here in NL.

Where did the meme “The Oiler’s don’t have to worry about scoring, they have to worry about preventing them”

I’ve seen it everywhere since the 77/15 trade.

Oilers are 20th in the NHL in goals for and 22nd in goals against.

I’d say they work to do on both sides of the ledger.

It took Hitch 50 seconds to get his top line out against 44 and 13 on the road.

Katz’s Kingdom for a real coach!!

Awesome pinch by “top 3 Dman” Barker to leavbe “Mr. 2 on 1″ Potter all alone.

93. danny says:

With the makeup of the Oilers forward corps, offense is just a matter of development. The defense/goaltending not so much a sure bet. Im guessing that plays a part in peoples opinion.

94. Gerta Rauss says:

danny,

Same here in BC-I’m waiting for the Monty Python foot to come out of the sky…

95. Gret99zky says:

weak sauce by our goalie.

96. jfry says:

@DBO

why are you so hot on Forsberg? i watched all his games at the WJC (small sample size) and I didn’t think he was in the conversation with the elite draft age forwards. I didn’t see Grigorenko that hot, but he was much more involved than Forsberg. I didn’t even think Forsberg was the best draft ready forward on the Swedish team — Collberg had a much better tournament and saw a lot more regular ice time. I honestly didn’t see much of a talent difference between Forsberg and Giergensons (who is out of the top 10 for most pundits).

Will be really curious to see how far Galchenyuk falls. everything was going his way until the injury. he seems like a good kid with his priorities and emotions in check.

97. striatic says:

who’d have thought a goal would result from a Cam Barker pinch?

98. CrazyCoach says:

Principe with arguably the most lame opening I’ve ever seen for a hockey game.

Makes me wish they would have stuck with the original, “Join in progress” plan

99. striatic says:

.. and also, i know that it is St. Louis’ *thing* but have the Oilers won a single puck battle?

100. hunter1909 says:

KATZ GETS THE MEMO: Congrats to oilers play by play crew tonight – sounds professional.

Cam Barker possible nickname “Panzer” in honour of new boy Shultz, lol.

Isn’t Andy MacDonald supposed to be buried in the oiler’s minor league gulag somewhere?

Blues look like they’re going to be a Cup fave. They look really, really good so far.

101. Gret99zky says:

Renney may well get really, really schooled tonight by a much better coach.

102. russ99 says:

I wonder if there’s a way to black out the times Barker-Potter are on the ice, to spare us the ugliness…

103. jfry says:

if the oilers are a good team next year, Potter will be in the AHL, correct?

Krueger demonstrated that he was a better coach in 10 days.

Renney lost me for good with his handling of Paajarvi. I’m afraid they are going to give him another contract. He is a likeable guy, but not a very good coach.

105. Lucinius says:

Renney’s problem as a coach, imo, is two fold; he has certain preconceptions as to what players are and doesn’t seem to budge from that established belief.

Secondly he has not been good at line matching, even at home.

106. russ99 says:

jfry,

Press Box – Potter is #7, if we can fix the blueline the rest of the way in the offseason.

107. CrazyCoach says:

Ah poetry on ice. Ali would have been proud of that footwork

108. whale says:

godot10,

I agree.

109. russ99 says:

Lucinius:

Secondly he has not been good at line matching, even at home.

Was Renney so inflexible in NYC? I have to wonder if certain roster strategies are coming from higher up…

Play Barker, play Petrell.

They will be key figures on the Oilers for years to come.

I just can’t stand some of the decisions this organization makes.

Trade Jacks for Nines.

Etc, etc.

Blue look like a machine. No one has the puck for more than 2 seconds, everyone looks like they know ehere everyone is supposed to be.

Good hockey to watch.

Good coaching.

111. hunter1909 says:

Renney likely to be “promoted” in the org at seasons end, for his masterful tanking job, that ensures oiler’s dominate the NHL for 5-7 years, instead of 4-5 years.

112. Henry says:

Hitchcock is such a good coach. How was he out of the NHL for a year?

Whitney is looking much better the past couple games.

113. hunter1909 says:

I’m almost ready to back the Blues to come out of the west. I hate the Wings and Nucks too much to think rationally. That Kassian acquisition reminds me of a Kevin Lowe(uninformed) stroke.

TEAMS THAT WON’T GET OUT OF THE WEST: LA Kings, Dallas Stars, San Jose Sharks, Chicago Blackhawks.

TEAM THAT’S GOING TO SUCK FOR THE NEXT DECADE: Calgary Flames.

114. NOTB says:

A little too much chaos again in the oilers zone that first period. Jones skates like he’s possessed, but man does the play die off his stick a lot. If the Oilers are at all serious about contending for playoffs next year, all of Jones, Petrell and Barker from tonights linup cannot be wearing the uniform. Dubnyk HAS to make that first save – these last 20 games he really needs to show he can be the answer and not a continued question mark in net. As usual of late, Hall doing all he can to carry this team.

Oilers are clearly second best tonight in a lot of areas, but the end of the roster is very poor.

From: @ThomsonCam

Oilers are the only org that would enter the year with the worst D in the league, then trade their best dman, and extend two of their worst.

117. Lucinius says:

I was fine with the Potter extension at the time. He just hasn’t been the same since the injury.

Also didn’t mind the Sutton extension. I really like him on our bottom pairing.

118. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy:
    From: @ThomsonCam

PS: After his debut, Gilbert’s already minus 1 and set up a beauty breakaway(for the wrong team).

Miss this guy? I seriously don’t think so. Wild fans already making excuses.

Oilersare clearly second best tonight in a lot of areas, but the end of the roster is very poor.

Its the end of the roster that’s killing this team and all we hear about players like Hemsky and Gilbert is “well the Oilers have been terrible with them”

It makes you want to scream.

120. striatic says:

Shots pretty even, Hall and Hemsky with good chances.

Oilers aren’t being horribly outplayed but still, clearly outplayed in pretty much every area.

Scouting report the Blues had on DD was low blocker. 2 for 2.

122. voxwah says:

Awe c’mon Dubnyk. Sheesh. You gotta stop that.

123. Gret99zky says:

Time to re-evaluate the goaltending situation.

124. hockeyguy10 says:

Oilers would be better off dressing 5 D than having 13 on the
    roster.

125. hunter1909 says:

Horcoff “does his job” after flubbing a breakaway – because the faceoff is in the Blue’s zone.

Calgary want a team like the Blues, when oilers start adding cups to their 5.

Someone PLEASE make a Horcoff highlight reel(including his empty net fail against the Jets) on YOUTUBE.

hunter1909: If Tom Gilbert is really your team’s best defenceman, then you have to trade him.

Miss this guy? I seriously don’t think so. Wild fans already making excuses.

If Gilbert is your best Dman, get one that will make him 2nd best.

Its pretty simple.

127. Lucinius says:

Imo, part of the problem tonight, like so many other nights, is the wrong players eating up ice time.

And Renny is bad at pairing defense pairs with his forward lines.

Barker out with the RNH line is retardation.

128. NOTB says:

Always forget how big and mobile Arnott is… I know LT has documented this well, but man this organization has flushed away a lot of talent that sure would have been useful around here the last many years.

129. danny says:

So.. I missed deadline day but judging by the commentary the last few days, Edmonton dealt Coffey for Souray?!? Assholes.

130. Professor Q says:

As long as we work hard and play safe like DD says, everything will all be alight…

131. striatic says:

i’m guessing this will be one of those games where SV% lies to you, with DD posting a .917 despite playing terribly.

132. Professor Q says:

Renney looks dumbfounded.

133. Lucinius says:

Yeah, I think I’m just going to go do something else tonight. This is.. ugly.

134. voxwah says:

Welcome to the Oilers Yan, good luck, lol.

135. Gret99zky says:

bad change bad coaching?

136. striatic says:

or maybe he’ll just post a .8-oh-Suck

but hey, at least we get to see the new guy play ..

Oiler fans should be used to this but even for the Oilers this is bad squared.

138. Gret99zky says:

Potter scores and these guys don’t want to put the puck on net???

A 5 minute major for that????

Terrible.

140. CrazyCoach says:

Ouch! That was a dangerous hit

141. pboy says:

But Hartnell’s knee on MPS was only worth 2?

142. CrazyCoach says:

That was a definite 5 minute. Polak was in the danger zone and Smyth hit him directly on the numbers

143. Gret99zky says:

Smyth with the coffin nail.

144. Gret99zky says:

The Nuge with the silver bullet.

145. Lucinius says:

Fantastic penalty kill.. and that scoring line is great when Barker isn’t on the ice.

Was going to stop watching the game, but this team always seems to flick the light of hope on just when you’re about to leave the room.

danny:

No, they traded a very good Dman for a good Dman.

Is your second laguage hyperbole?

147. hunter1909 says:

LOL @ Woodguy.

With you, not at you. :)

RNH shows up at training camp 185 pounds, lol. Now watch him win the rookie scoring race in a canter.

Stupid Blues. These so called “Big” teams sure had better start worrying about the oilers, even if the team still sucks here and there.

The thought of them blowing a 3-0 lead makes me want to vomit, when long range(lottery) factors are added.

148. NOTB says:

Beautiful touch pass by Hall over to RNH. Can’t believe Oilers only down by one heading to third. Great 5 min PK. Tough break on Smyth… wonder if he gets a Shanny call in the morning. Can’t believe players continue to put themselves in that dangerous position putting their back to players four feet from the boards.

149. Gret99zky says:

#15 with an assist on the Nuge goal.

150. hockeyguy10 says:

Over on TSN,Button laying the blame on Polak for putting himself
    in a bad spot.

151. CrazyCoach says:

Polak may have put himself in a bad spot, but the responsibility lies with the guy who is coming from behind.

152. Lucinius says:

That’s a big problem in the NHL; the victims of the big hits are never held accountable by refs or the league. As such they love to put themselves in dangerous spots because they know they can get away with it.

So many of these players have negative survival instincts.

So the Oilers out score the opposition 2-0 and kill a 5 minutes penaltry without a shot against when Danis is in net.

QUICK GIVE HIM AN EXTENTION!!

Yan, repeat after me:

“I like the direction of the team, its exciting and I wan t to be a part of it”

154. crude says:

I like streaming the games off weird feeds only because sometimes you get the candid, behind the scenes, play by play guy chat during stoppage time.

“yup back it up right there… Dubnyk… the crappy goal… perfect”

155. hockeyguy10 says:

Lucinius,

It’s what a lot of coachs teach nowadays.

156. DBO says:

So Barkers last game right? And Shultz look s solid, and the whole 2 pts thing is real fun.

On Dubnyk. Is he just still young so inconsistent or is he just a backup? Looking more like a backup as we go along.

157. DBO says:

there you go/. Shultz takes the man to the ground. hasn’t happened around the oiler net often enough

158. CrazyCoach says:

It’s not a tactic any coach should teach. I have taught countless coaches how to teach bodychecking over the last ten years and every clinic some genius suggests turning your back to the defender is a great way to keep the puck shielded or to get a penalty.

I usually will stop the clinic and remind each and every coach that by teaching such a tactic, they are placing both players lives in the balance, and that if anyone ever teaches a kid such a play, they indeed, have placed their own interests above the safety of players.

Too many idiots out there today coaching kids.

159. pboy says:

Christ, Barker is terrible.

WG, can you please send a letter of complaint to the Oilers, asking them to get Barker out of the lineup? You did a pretty good job with TSN, so I figure you might be able to pull this off :-)

160. hunter1909 says:

Go Barker! 4-2 Blues.

Mark Spector and Gene Principe both professional tonight. Keep up the good work guys, and I’ll stop sending Mr. Katz those memo’s.

Sooooo shitty positioning and pinching by Barker leads directly to 2 goals and takes a dumb penalty which leads to a 3rd.

I can see why Renney keeps dressing him.

162. CrazyCoach says:

Ah the good old stretch pass on a PK. Reminded again why I hate it. Wonder if Halak would have started a play like that if Petry fires the puck 200 feet?

163. crude says:

Barker should not play again. I would prefer the fuck-ups of Peckham who at least is a tough customer.

164. jfry says:

Oshie has to lead the league in “on the fly head fakes”

Not even the immovable wall that is Yann Danis can escape the vast vortex of suck that is Cameron Barker.

n

166. Lucinius says:

Hilarious. Looks like the sudden news from the crowd drowned out the communication between Hall and the other Oiler, causing the issue.

167. NOTB says:

Barker with a Barker-like penalty, and Jones was never, EVER, going to pick up that hail mary pass, which Petry willl learn to recognize.

Penalty Shot?? Hall should be furious. That was a horrible call.

168. Gret99zky says:

Lucinius:
    Totally agree.

Never the pedestrian. Always the driver.

So many of these players have negative survival instincts.

Stewart turns his back to the player, four feet from the boards, holds his arm out like Jesus Christ and that is not putting yourself in a dangerous situation after you get hooked on a breakaway.

Asshole. I don’t wish bad stuff on hockey players but….

169. Traktor says:

Good job Hemsky. Bum.

170. Lucinius says:

Noise, not news, duh.

Well, didn’t expect the Oilers to win this game, but god damn.. the Barker experiment has to end. Press Box him. Don’t even infect the minor league team with him. Just put him in the press box and let him stay there.

On the plus side, Toronto lost and Dallas got a point (anything that hurts the Flames = good).

171. Gerta Rauss says:

…and we’re back….

We looked good for about 10 minutes in 2nd period there…

172. sliderule says:

Is it just me but wasn’t that the lamest call on the penalty shot.

173. Gret99zky says:

After the faceoff Belanger is worse than shit.

174. Traktor says:

Gret99zky:
    After the faceoff Belanger is worse than shit.

The good news is Belanger turned Horcoff into a 70 point center.

RNH, Hall and Eberle will all be in their mid-twenties before Vanmassenhoven starts calling all the hooks, holds and slashes these guys get.

176. DBO says:

oK. The blues are starting to run around a bit. Time for some old school hockey and for someone to run a few guys. Sutton not Barker = tougher team. And one more capable power forward and we may be competitive.

177. jake70 says:

I’ve instructed my sister to call the Oilers about maybe loaning out Barker for my niece’s team at the Atlantic midget Girls championships comming up in March, they have injuries on D right now.

178. Lucinius says:

So.. did Renney seriously just rewind to not using Gagner as a center to ‘shake things up’? I thought it was well established that a big part of Gagner’s recent play was because he was back in the center position and not on the god damn wing?

Sigh.

179. Lucinius says:

And putting him with Belanger to boot.

180. DBO says:

how is that not interference on Backes holding RNH. Seriously, the kids get no calls

181. pboy says:

The Oilers don’t seem to get any of the “home team” penalties that other teams enjoy in their own arenas. I guess being the worst team of the decade doesn’t have any privileges…..

182. Traktor says:

Lucinius:

Sigh.

Gagner has had a terrible game. I know St Louis has a big team but he has bailed about 10 times tonight.

183. Lucinius says:

Pboy; you’d figure we’d get more pity calls, really.

Hall, Eberle and RNH struggle to draw penalties. Paajarvi was really good at it. Lander seemed to be, as well. The first three need to sell it more.

184. DBO says:

It’s like the reverse playstation hockey. Usually the computer lets you catch up, we get it the other way. kinda like the old hockey video game where if you lost the fight, you get the only penalty

185. Lucinius says:

I think Cam Barker is the Avatar of the Hockey God of Losing.

186. DBO says:

Danis looks way more calm and controlled then Dubnyk. Dubnyk woulda let that cross ice shot in.

187. pboy says:

Someone should let Tom Coughlin know that Ken Hitchock is copying his frostbite face look.

188. Lucinius says:

Have to think that if Barker plays again this year they’ve embraced the draft position hunt.

189. hunter1909 says:

jake70:
    I’ve instructed my sister to call the Oilers about maybe loaning out Barker formy niece’s team at the Atlantic midget Girls championships comming up in March, they have injuries on D right now.

Are you crazy!? You NEVER mix hillbillies with attractive girls.

Was cheering for Stewart on his penalty shot, after deciding halfway down the ice he was more of a good Scottish type than the other dude.

Horcoff’s becoming a mythical figure. Barker would too, eventually, but he’s likely gone(unless Tambellini’s got my Top Secret memo that explains how pissed Woodguy is going to be).

Horcoff making like Bobby Orr with 1:30 left near the stand in goalie’s net. Not.

After the Stewart goal, watched about 5 minutes of the Buffalo/Disney team game 2-0 Sabres – terrible, lousy, bad hockey.

190. gogliano says:

clb 56
    edm 73
    mon 74
    car 79
    nyi 79

Thanks for doing that.

I’ll go over to my blog and do the math for expected Oiler points from March ! – March 17th. Last projected points total for the oilers I was only 1 point off, and that’s to the good for the tank.

PS: Montreal worries me, since they’ve obviously decided to join oiler’s in the tank business.

192. PDO says:

On the kids… the worst non-call I’ve ever seen was Byuf on RNH last game. Wide open net tap in and Byuf goes right into RNH’s hands… and nothing. Unbelievable.

LT, I can write your blog for you tomorrow.

“Barker was OK. We need to work with him on his reads and footspeed a bit.” – Renney

Imagine that should get 300 comments easy.

193. Gerta Rauss says:

Haven’t heard much from Gretzky lately so this was a bit of a surprise.

There is a 20 minute podcast on the CBC website if you’re interested.

Not a big surprise with the result tonight-St. Louis is a good team and we’re not.
    Not sure what to make of Schultz-he didn’t really stand out which is usually good for a defender.

Hall was Hall…the kid’s a dynamo.

194. "Steve Smith" says:

I spent the evening driving to Falher, and so missed the game and the thread. I am now going to make a lengthy series of comments that only I will think is witty.

195. "Steve Smith" says:

Gret99zky:
    Penner’s wife files for divorce today.

Man, women: one day they’re making you delicious pancakes, the next…

196. "Steve Smith" says:

Ribs:
    Oilers tweet…

I credit Vic Toews.

197. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy:
    From: @ThomsonCam

Don’t look now, but Sutton’s been one of the Oilers’ *better* defencemen this year. And that is not primarily a commentary on Andy Sutton.

198. "Steve Smith" says:

godot10:
    Renney lost me for good with his handling of Paajarvi. I’m afraid they are going to give him another contract.He is a likeable guy, but not a very good coach.

In fairness, while a lot of us liked MacT (can’t remember if you were among them) he was as bad with Penner as Renney is with MPS, and Penner’s the better player. Seems like every Oilers’ coach has an irrational dislike of one perfectly good player, to the team’s detriment.

(Except Ron Low, who had about twenty such dislikes.)

Newer Comments »