Gretzky to Kurri (Happy Valentine’s Day)

I’m not sure that it is terribly romantic, but my gift to you today is a very cool 12-minute ride into the past. Let me ask you something: do you like goals? I mean really like them? Remember the other day when I said back in the 80′s taking a bathroom break was sometimes impossible?

Check it out.

Oh my. One final thing: I’ve enjoyed about 30  great Valentine’s with the same girl, and know she’ll chuckle when she sees this. Hopefully it’ll bring a smile to you and your valentine today.

Enjoy the day.

82 Responses to "Gretzky to Kurri (Happy Valentine’s Day)"

1. markasread1199 says:

What a great start to the day! Thanks again Lowetide. Long time reader, first time commenting. Did you notice the warm ups between periods? Both teams wearing helmets. LOL!

No, I’ll look again though. I noticed the goalie gloves are ridiculous, though. And the defense is just crazy. Every damn North Star would be in the minors after that game if it were played last night.

The Oilers goals are things of wonder. 99 with the quickness, the passing, Messier to Anderson. Man.

3. Suntory Hanzo says:

Can’t see the video..:(

Quite common that I can’t though. I’m running OS Lion. Anyone else having problems?

4. "Steve Smith" says:

How come hockey players never have mustaches any more?

You knew we were in a different era as soon as they introduced the North Stars’ goalie’s GAA.

We can’t make a rule that defencemen have to be terrible (though the Oilers are generously doing their part voluntarily), but why can’t we turn back the clock on goalie equipment, again?

5. Ripoux says:

In related news….Sports Illustrated released their swimsuit edition today:

I”ll be spending the evening (dinner/live theatre) with my new gal. We live in Vancouver, and met January 2nd. One of the things that perked me up when I first met her was that during the conversation she was talking about being an Oilers fan; grew up in Sherwood Park. I thought…hmmm, this could work….

Also saw the Barons vs Abbotsford this past Saturday. I thought Hartikainen played a heck of a game, throwing his weight around. I will enjoy seeing that boy progress.

6. fuzzy muppet says:

I wish there was more Messier footage in that game. What little I did see of him in that clip, He really DID look like Hall with that wide stride.

Now if only RNH is the Gretzky, this team may be in business

7. spoiler says:

Love *sneeze* the Oilers. *sneeze* And hockey. *sneeze*

But *sneeze* one game *sneeze* in six nights *sneeze* is bullshit. *sneeze*

Oh well. I *sneeze* think I have some *sneeze sneeze sneeze swear viciously sneeze* Oil Change episodes to *sneeze* catch up on. *sneeze*

8. stevezie says:

"Steve Smith",

We can make s hitty defence rule, we just need to think outside the box. Idea: One coach per team, period. No goalie coach, no video coach, no special teams coach, you just get a coach. Maybe two. This would be tricky to enforce, but even if teams find little loop holes it will still make everyone just a little worse, which will make hockey just a little better.

I maintain the proper Hall comparison is Bure, though I definitely see where the Messier crowd is coming from, especially in interviews. I have never seen a teenager look that unimpressed by cameras.

9. spoiler says:

Suntory,

Plays fine on my phone, Android OS, and this site hates Androids.

10. Jordan says:

@DarrenDreger
    Darren Dreger
    As discussed on TSN Countdown show last night…Oilers talking to Hemsky to gauge the term and $ he’s looking for. Trade still likely.

11. spoiler says:

Anyone want the flu? Free today to a good owner, just like kittens and puppies.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Happy Hockey Valentine’s Day all:

13. Clay says:

I received the “10 Greatest Oiler Games of All Time” DVD set a few years back, and watch it often. It is absurd how bad some of the defensemen were in that era. I mean, the top guys were great, but it seems the drop off between the good ones and bad ones is shocking. We’re talking pure ankle-skaters here.

How about a new rule whereby each team needs to carry two defensemen who have spent less than 3 years on skates? We’d be back to 80′s level scoring overnight.

A heart-felt, Valentine’s Day “Cheers” to all the Better Halves who lovingly set the PVR to record Grey’s Anatomy, so their irrational Oiler-fan husbands can watch the game in real-time and chirp about it on LT’s fantastic site.

Go out and buy those flowers, boys!

14. Clay says:

Ripoux,

God bless you, sir.

15. Clay says:

spoiler,

And you as well, sir.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jordan:
    @DarrenDreger
    Darren Dreger

It’s a good thing ST got that Sutton headache taken care of. Clearly what was keeping him from tackling the biggest organizational move in the next couple of months was the uncertainty surrounding Sutton’s future with the Oilers… and not you know dithering.

17. Jordan says:

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
    For the right team, CBJ’s Rick Nash is indeed available for trade.
    Here’s the link to the story on Rick Nash’s trade availability:
    1 minute ago

Hmm… I seem to recall the Oilers looking for a big bodied gritty winger to play in the top 6. I wonder what it would cost – we’ve got the numbers to make a 5 asset trade!

18. stevezie says:

Jordan,

We do indeed. I love Rick Nash, and I hate Rick Nash’s contract. There are two fairly solid rules of GMing, it’s never an overpay when you get something you need, and do not get burried under a bad contract. They seem to be in conflict here. I’d make a call, because I love Rick Nash, but I don’t think could pay Rick Nash 8 million dollars and send away the assets I need to trade for a d-man.

19. nelson88 says:

Poor Columbus. Have rooted for them after they got rid of that idiot who is now on sportsnet. Also remember a few commentators on this site; myself included, who thought Howson would make a good GM.

I don’t have confidence in Tambi and his decision making is slower than molasses in january but this whole carter fiasco goes to show what one ill advised and pressured move can lead to.

Now it is likely they will lose Nash (and obviously Carter for magic beans). Talk about a total rebuild. The irony being that without the Carter trade and any sort of NHL level goaltending this year they very likley would have been competitive. They have some very good pieces.

20. DBO says:

Nash would be great, but that contract is scary. $7.8 mill for 7 more years. I would make that deal if we can ensure there will be an amnesty this summer and we can shed Horcoff’s contract. If we can’\t, it means we may very well have to either move one of the kids in a few years, or we won’t be able to afford a quality defenseman. Without a better D, all the forwards in the world won’t make a difference.

As for what it would take. if you offered MPS, this years 1st and a prospect like Pitlik I can’t see Columbus saying no. They would conceivably get the two Russians, who would both play next year and have MPS. Basically a new young first line who would be exciting and you could sell that in Columbus, all for Nash’s cap hit. then if they move Carter for a first and another young player and a young D they have the foundation in one year of a rebuild like the Oil. The big issue is that Nash has a no movement, which means as per usual he would have to want to come here, and while we have some young talent, I doubt a guy tired of losing would choose to come to the team closest to his in terms of wins the last 3 years. Not much of an upgrade.

For fun:
    Oil trade MPS, 1st and Pitlik for Nash. Draft both russian forwards with their and our pick.
    Toronto trades Kadri, franson and a 1st for Carter. Draft russian goalie.

That is a solid rebuild start for Columbus, and basically Howson can do in 1 year what the Oil have taken 4 (2 in Tambellini time) years to do.

21. Beaker says:

Is it just because I’m not old enough to remember. Since when did face-offs get taken not on the dots??

Check 7:00 into that video if you didnt catch that.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jordan,

stevezie,

I would definitely make any deal for Nash subject to re-acquiring Riley Nash just to see how they would distinguish the jerseys.

23. spoiler says:

Nash has a NMC and if he is being traded, will determine his destination (NYR).

24. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

They’d probably use numbers. Big ones, on the back of the jersey.

;op

25. hunter1909 says:

Just bought a bottle of red wine.

Lowetide: thank you for that 12-8 classic. Gretzky = RNH, Kurri = Eberle, Messier = Hall. Need a Coffey! And a Fuhr.

Kurri, he can’t be bothered to celebrate goals, lol.
    Coffey shoots fast(they all do)

Still, amazing how much like the old guys do the young dudes.

Then, I clicked on a link after that game, and watched the 1990 team whip the Winnipeg Jets 4-1 in that game 7. In so many ways I loved that team the most. No Gretzky/Coffey so they retooled and so many outstanding players it shames the 2012 motley crew.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler,

Wait… so you don’t find this image inherently awesome and hilarious?

Full names on the back of jerseys!

Tyler has a good post up on how much of an overpay that Sutton’s new contract represents

In the big scheme of things a 1 year over pay is pretty small, but its stuff like this that makes me think, “If they always seem to screw up the small stuff, what are they going to do with the big stuff?”

28. El Guapo says:

Clips like this remind me how spoiled Oilers fans were back then: most of the crowd did not get out of their seats to cheer until the TENTH goal had been scored.

29. Jimmy says:

The thing that jumps out at me the most, other than the pure awesomeness of all that skill, is that it takes until 99′s 4th goal to get even half the crowd out of their seats. No wonder I remember comments from back in those days about how quiet Edmonton’s crowd was.

30. Jimmy says:

El Guapo,

And I show up just a little late with the comment :-)

31. DSF says:

Woodguy:

Death by paper cut.

You wouldn’t want players like Sutton and Potter to hit free agency…someone might snap them up.

Of, course an astute GM might want to wait and see what is on the market in the off season to help rebuild the worst defense in the league.

32. Matt.N says:

Jordan:
    @DarrenDreger
    Darren Dreger

33. Wolfie says:

I still can’t believe Gretzky didn’t break or tie Sittler’s record. Gagner’s 8-point night is even more impressive given the way the game has changed.

Defencemen may have been bad in the past but goaltending has undergone the most drastic evolution since the 80s. If you transport any current goalie back to that game it’s probably a 3-2 game.

The thing people don’t realize that really changed the game for goalies is back then the puck could and often would hurt. It’s not that guys were scared to stop the puck but it affected how the position was played. There is no fear of gettting hurt from a puck as a goalie nowadays. If you brought back that little bit of pain it would change the game considerably. The equipment nowadays is overkill.

I look at the size of my trapper and shake my head. The cheater is completely unnecessary. Pads are too long. They should come to just above the knee. Chest protectors are too bulky as well. The shoulders need to be protected but the extra that sticks up needs to go. If pads came to just above the knee guys might be less inclined to drop to the butterfly if getting a puck off the top of the knee would hurt. The one thing you won’t be able to change is the sheer size of goalies these days. Back in the day Mike Liut was a giant and so was Sean Burke.

Watching those highlights and all the space you can see behind Beaupre on Gretzky’s clapper from the top of the circles. It’s ridiculous the change in size of goalies. You didn’t have to go bar down… all you had to do was hit the net…

Anyway, let’s hope they can get Hemsky signed to a deal that both sides can live with.

34. stevezie says:

nelson88,

Not only did I think Howson would make a good GM, but if, and this is a major league if here, but if Howson somehow fails to keep his job in CBS I’d hire him back here. I noticed the contracts started to get really wierd as soon as he left, and as I recall he was our chief negotiator.

Man, when I was a little kid Kurri fascinated me and I’m even more drawn in now. That cerebral game, the fact that he was foreign (complete with Js being Ys), his helmet, his cool non-celebrations, the fact that (to my memory) we knew the least about hium as a non-hockey human, the way he learned English by watching Happy Days, the fact tha he was in any way connected to that lunatic Esa…

35. Clay says:

There’s a video up on the Oilers’ site of Fedun on skates again. Great feel-good story; I’m going to cheer like hell for this kid.

36. LMHF#1 says:

Beaker:
    Is it just because I’m not old enough to remember.Since when did face-offs get taken not on the dots??

Check 7:00 into that video if you didnt catch that.

That rule change isn’t all that old actually. Wound up in some interesting spots from time to time.

As for that game generally, what was up with Gretzky in the third? Knowing the way he played when a milestone was there for the taking, I’m utterly shocked he had 8 going to the third and didn’t get to at least 11, much less get stuck at 8.

37. spoiler says:

Wow, did MC go way over the top in that post. Didn’t even bother with counter-arguments; went straight for crucifixion.

38. CrazyCoach says:

Ripoux: One of the things that perked me up when I first met her was that during the conversation she was talking about being an Oilers fan; grew up in Sherwood Park. I thought…hmmm, this could work….

Well Ripoux, let me tell you. A little over 8 years ago, I had dinner with a transplanted Albertan like myself (Edmonton and Carrot Creek). Both of us living in the midst of Nucklehead douchery. She mentioned she was an Oilers fan and that got her the second date.

Eight years later, we are very happy, and still live in the land of the disillusioned Canucks fan.

Awesome clip LT. Was nice to see JIm Playfair albeit for a fleeting second. Little did we know at the time how close to the edge of greatness that team was. Amazing skill. I’m glad I was around to see it, because there will never be another player like Gretzky in my lifetime and I’ve got about 60 years left on the odometer.

39. bookje says:

Beaker:

Check 7:00 into that video if you didnt catch that.

I don’t know when it changed but it used to be that when the puck left the ice-the faceoffs were taken at the point where the puck left the ice if it was not near a dot.

40. Captain Obvious says:

stevezie:
    Jordan,

I can’t agree enough with this post. Nash is a very good player. A solid, second-tier star. However, his contract is huge and his career high in points is 79. You might be able to convince me to take the contract but I certainly wouldn’t trade the farm for him. Trading the #1 or #2 pick in the draft for him would be ludicrous. I’d trade B level prospects for him, perhaps Paajarvi, Pitlick, and Musil. If he’s traded it will be for something like that.

Anyway, if he’s traded he’s going to a playoff team so it doesn’t matter.

41. Jordan says:

Matt.N: This can’t be possible. I understand the concept of trading him. I don’t agree with it, but I understand. If this is even close to true, and ST is just now deciding to check into Hemsky’s contract demands, this is unimaginably bad management.

While I completely agree about the bad management, I suspect this has more to do with “the plan” and unless Hemsky decides that he wants to stick it out here as a bit player on the 2nd or 3rd line, I think the brain trust see better value in trading him than paying him for his actual ability.

They have the big 3 they want, plus a gagner who may fit if he keeps scoring. Now they need 2 gritty scoring wingers with size.

That’s why I bring up Nash – based on what we have been hearing about for years here, this is one of the player types the team needs.

Maybe Nash doesn’t want to be here – god knows the teams been crap long enough that he might not. But there are enough talented players here that he might consider it.

Of course, whether Nash is worth that contract remains to be seen. If there is a reason not to pick him up, that (or the asking price) are it.

42. spoiler says:

Nothing wrong with the Sutton contract. Those sorts of gestures get remembered well. He’s a bit of a unique player type, and others in his category, like Gill and Mitchell get paid well for being bigger than your average duck. MC’s huge issue is about a dollar figure that is less than 0.8% of next year’s projected cap hit. Yeah, petty is the image they want to portray. Better to show there’s small rewards for hard work and dedication. And they’re also paying for either a draft pick next deadline, or Sutton on a declining deal (if the trend continues). Nor is any given contract sheerly about numbers and roster position despite the attempts to box it so.

Mountain… meet molehill.

43. mc79hockey says:

@Spoiler

Am I missing something with Sutton’s contract? What’s the defence? Tambo will get smart with contracts when it matters? Like with Khabby?

44. Ribs says:

From Friedman’s 30 Thoughts…

20. Edmonton’s power-play is third in the NHL, around 22 per cent with or without Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in the lineup. (He has 15 extra-man assists.) Was talking to associate coach Ralph Krueger, who runs it, and he shared an interesting philosophy: “Everybody talks about the quarterback being back at the point. But, if you look at the truly great powerplays, they are led by a dangerous player off the hashmark.” Krueger feels the Oilers have two such bodies — Nugent-Hopkins and Sam Gagner. The one-timer options (Jordan Eberle, Corey Potter) give them room to move.

Sounds like Hemsky is already an afterthought. *Sigh*

45. TheOtherJohn says:

Spoiler

Understand idea of wanting to be perceived as being generous in marketplace. Fact that Minnesota signed Kurtis Foster to a contract for the year spent recovering from injury comes to mind. Assistants in our office do not get paid because I like them or that they are nice people. Their pay is generally tied to their level of performance AND to the marketplace. Tyler just laid out the marketplace for 16 minute D men and we paid 50% over the market. For a 37 year old who may??? sit out 15 games next year on suspensions

But when the Oilers get good, bad money managers will, suddenly, get good. Generally when one wants to predict future performance you at least look at past performance. The Oilers are pretty mediocre money managers. And soon, it will really matter. Or at least, as we are repeatedly told, that is the PLAN

46. spoiler says:

MC…

Do you have more than one criterion as the basis for your argument? If .8% of the cap fails that one criterion, the comparison you have created, are you willing to state unequivocally that this is an example of a dumb contract and thus proof of incompetence? I think you would be folding this poker hand and choose to bet on different hole cards.

47. spoiler says:

TOJ

I have yet to meet the office where attitude, dedication and teamwork wasn’t encouraged and rewarded.

I have yet to meet the office where bad attitude, disloyalty, and lonehood wan’t excised as quickly as it became practical.

I have yet to meet the office where seniority and experience and uniqueness wasn’t also compensated for.

Thank you for raising that insightful analogy.

48. El Guapo says:

TheOtherJohn,

Not sure if this was mentioned, but regarding the concern about Sutton’s possible future suspensions I understand $250,000 of that salary is a bonus for games played. Seems that bit of cash is his incentive to behave.

49. spoiler says:

Along the lines of LT’s garnish metaphor in a prior thread, this is like a wife nagging her husband for spending 75 cents for cheese on a 65 dollar burger. This is not the hill to die on.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler:

No, it’s not the hill to die on. But it is the latest Oiler event so of course we are all going to talk about it and examine it for the moment anyway. But more importantly:

1) poor decisions, even if very minor, both make a difference and signal a weakness in management

2) spending time on Sutton right now, unless it involves taking calls from other teams, seems like a waste of time when there are far more pressing issues to resolve.

51. VOR says:

MC79,

Let me start off by saying I agree with your conclusions. I’d take a simpler approach. Ignore age, career length, time on ice, etc. Simply look at the 29 players that were playing 6D for other teams as of last night. You find pretty much the same thing. Sutton is a 34% overpay (current league average for a 6 = $1,120,000) before the $250,000 bonus for games.

I love what Sutton brings but not at those dollars.

I think he is getting a reward for intangibles and for trying to kill Jeff Skinner. My question would be, why do the Oilers value being good in the room so much more highly than other teams? So much so that they missed a chance to trade an asset at the top of its market value?

52. Yeti says:

spoiler:

The trouble is, you build enough hills and you might end up with a mountain range.

53. art vandelay says:

And just like being stuck in a cr@ppy marriage to a broad who got fat after popping 5 kids, or being bald and fat at 40, or going from Star QB in high school to gym teacher at the local junior high, the past is all Oilers fans have.
    Enjoy the rear-view mirror.

54. commonfan14 says:

I suppose it’s possible that Tambo has just left it this long intentionally because his read on Hemmer is that he’s the kind of guy who might get desperate when things like this go late.

Who knows, maybe he’s playing him perfectly and has now sweated him into a place where he’ll sign a sweetheart deal.

I mean, he did play Lombardi pretty well on the Smyth deal.

Is it at least conceivable?

55. stevezie says:

commonfan14,

Definitely. I think any reasonable Tambo-hater will admit that there’s a lot going on behind the scenes that we don’t see, and in the end he will be judged by his results, not his process. The results so far are horrible, but it aint over ’till it’s over.

56. Captain Obvious says:

I like the Sutton deal because I think that performance is more contextual than we think. As a result every time you add a new player there is a transaction cost that should be accounted for. Would I rather have Mike Lundin or Matt Gilroy for a million bucks? Maybe. But there is no guarantee I can sign those guys and with Sutton I’m more sure of what I have.

Finally, I think Sutton is a better player than Tyler’s list of comparables.

57. rickithebear says:

This year our d has been: with games played. Ranked based on Comp vs GA
    #1 Smid 55/55 100%
    #2 Gilbert 41/55 75%
    #3 Petry 48/55 87%
    #4 potter 41/55 75%
    #5 Sutton 33/55 60%
    #6 Peckham 46/55 84%
    #7 Whitney 24/55 44%
    #8 Chorney 5/55 9%
    #9 Barker 16/55 29%
    #10 Tuebert 20/55 36%
    #11 Plante 3/55 5%

There is a clear line in the sand the first three are playing as top for the rest are 6-7.. whitney we will have no clue what he is but currently #7.

So 25% of 1st pr games played with #6 or worse
    56% of 2nd pair played with #^ or worse.
    56% of total d time played with #6 or worse.

44% OF ALL MAN GAMES WERE PLAYED WITH A #7 DMAN OR WORSE.

When i look at this it has to be clear to MGMT peckham and sutton are out performing injured whitney.. the Signing of Sutton with the expectation of him being a 6-7. means that they will have to sign at least one FA dman this summer. Two if whitney is not expected to be healthy.

One top pr and a 2nd Pair if whitney is gone.

58. hunter1909 says:

You guys are all crazy. I just watched “Oil Change” and Tambellini says everything’s going great.

Geez.

Cross another good Dman off the wishlist.

According to @hockeybreak (who has a decent track record) Boychuck is signing a 3 year extension with BOS. No terms yet.

art vandelay:
    Enjoy the rear-view mirror.

Youi should change your handle to “Ray of Sunshine”

Boychuk 3 years, 3.36MM/yr.

Good barometer for what Smid should be looking at after next year.

62. TheOtherJohn says:

Woodguy,

Which, using the Sutton premium (1.45% of market), because Smid is good in the room and will also be buying into what the Oilers are doing here, signs for 3 years at $4.87 millon per

63. Gerta Rauss says:

Hemsky this morning on the trade rumours-if you let the video run Smytty is up after the Hemsky video. There are some comments from Tambellini up as well.

64. Gerta Rauss says:

Online chatter has Rick Nash to Kings-no details or confirmation yet.

65. Traktor says:

What do Andy Sutton’s contract and the boy who cried wolf have in common?

66. DBO says:

From Eklund (so not happening) Nash …to Kings “but the deal as told to me by an League source is Nash for Bernier, Penner, Hunter…and a pick. ”

It better be more, cause we could offer a better deal and not give up the 1st rounder this year. Lol. Toronto will be angry if this was true.

67. Jordan says:

Gerta Rauss,

Nice find Gerta – thanks.

Listening to Hemsky, it’s seem pretty clear to me that he’s making sure that he’s getting the best deal he can for himself. It’s also pretty clear that he’s working really hard to sell himself as healthy and a solid bet to get back to the 70+ point guy he was before the injury seasons.

I couldn’t help but laugh when I heard him talk about the “role” that he’s supposed to play on the team, now and going forwards, and how he doesn’t know what that role is moving forwards. Speaks volumes. He’s decided he’s a top 6 guy. And if the Oilers don’t want to play him there, I don’t see any reason why he would stay. I can’t blame him – Imagine you’re Hemsky, and the two best centres on the team are playing the butter-minutes with young wingers, and you’re stuck with Horcoff playing against the other team’s best…. It’s pretty easy to see how he could be unhappy with that role. If I were him, I’d be asking for a boatload of money too – “better give me something if I’m going to be grinding things out here on the 3rd line…”

68. nathan says:

“how he doesn’t know what that role is moving forwards. Speaks volumes. He’s decided he’s a top 6 guy. And if the Oilers don’t want to play him there, I don’t see any reason why he would stay”.

Jordan,

How many games has played below top 6 this year, again? Who exactly would displace him in the top 6? Sounds like he has more concerns about role than just being top 6.

69. Gerta Rauss says:

Helene Elliott says her Kings source is denying the Nash deal.

Traktor:
    What do Andy Sutton’s contract and the boy who cried wolf have in common?

Edit: nah, that doesn’t work, he already overpaid Khabby with big $.

Traktor:
    What do Andy Sutton’s contract and the boy who cried wolf have in common?

One was written by Aesop and the other was written by a shlep?

72. Traktor says:

Woodguy: That when Tambellini finally does over pay someone with big dollars the villagers won’t believe Tyler and the Oilblogosphere will get eaten by Andy Sutton?

Edit: nah, that doesn’t work, he already overpaid Khabby with big $.

Like the boy who cried wolf it is hard to take a pettifogger serious.

73. Jordan says:

nathan:

Jordan,

You, know, thinking back on it, you’re right. There’s some entitlement there too. And considering the team he’s played on, and how they’ve faired (both with him healthy and injured) I can understand it too. When for more than 5 years Oilers offense has been synonimous with Hemsky, and now that they have a new batch of kids to break in he’s getting pushed to the back… Yeah, I can see the ego taking a hit there.

Now, if you had a GM who could talk to the player and say something like ” you know, we really appreciate what you’ve done for us, and now we want you to take on a bit of a different role to help shelter these kids like others sheltered you when you were coming up…” I could see a potential transition for him. Haven’t heard a thing about that.

If Steve has talked to hemmer about his role on this team moving forwards, I’d love to hear him say it – after he trades Hemsky. If there’s that kind of crap going on, no need to say anything until after he’s moved on and the team has gotten something for him.

Traktor:
    What do Andy Sutton’s contract and the boy who cried wolf have in common?

The age of the authors?

75. nathan says:

Jordan,

If the guy wants more offensive zone starts and more powerplay time and the extra dollars from someone that can do that for him, he’s entitled to that same as every other player. Don’t want the team to “explain” a trade. Darned if the press doesn’t do the whole sour grapes shtick soon as any guy catches a flight out of town.

76. pboy says:

Some of this rhetoric about Hemsky is starting to drive me crazy. So if Hemsky isn’t the #1 RW, he wants to take his ball and go home? Is this Hemsky saying this or is this someone’s opinion based on Hemmer’s body language or his poor (by his standards) play this season? 91-4-14-89-83+? is not a terrible Top 6. If Hemsky really wants out because of where he’s slotted on a depth chart…………I just can’t believe that he’s that guy.

As far as the PP goes, I believe that 4-93-14 are more effective players this early in their careers than Hemsky is on the PP. The kids are always forcing the action and they constantly work the puck towards the net. Hemsky is too fancy for his own good IMO on the PP and he turns the puck over to the PKer’s too much for my liking. A pretty nice option on a 2nd PP though. I don’t have any stats to back that up, that’s just my “saw him bad”.

77. nathan says:

“I just think this is all going to come down to term and at this point, no one really knows shit.”

pboy,

Term and dollars. In that order. Everyone one has a opinion on how long and how much. Only the player and mgmt’s opinions will count. We know neither. And however it’s spun both parties have a clear idea of the other party’s position.

78. russ99 says:

That move by Gretz at 1:12 at the blue line is a thing of beauty.

I hope we can see something even close to those days in Edmonton again…

Though how old I was when it happened and where I live, this seems more appropriate:

79. Ribs says:

Matheson writes…

“My ultimate goal is to sign a new contract with the Oilers, ideally before the trade deadline,” said Smyth, who turns 36 in a week. “Yeah, I want that.”

Think they can get it right this time?

80. Ribs says:

“We (agent Don Meehan, Smyth and Tambellini) haven’t haven’t had that conversation at all. He hasn’t come to me, I haven’t approached him. Hopefully, in the next few days we can talk and iron things out,”

81. Suntory Hanzo says:

Ripoux,

Nice to see some more Park people in the
    lower mainland!

82. wordbird says:

Jeezus that #99 was pretty good. How Gretzky didn’t obliterate Sittler’s most-points-in-one-game record is a wonder.