Oilers trade Gilbert for Schultz

Tom Gilbert is my favorite Oiler defenseman and having an outstsanding season, so if you don’t want to read the rest of this post I’m fine with it. Nick Schultz is not a similar player type, in fact he’s a stay-at-home type. Schultz has grit, size (although not huge, 6.01, 200) and is a mobile defenseman. This is a player who I’d suggest is quite similar in style to Ladislav Smid. He’s 29, has 9 NHL seasons of experience and has played 743 NHL games.He was apparently a favorite of Jacques Lemaire according to the people talking on television as I type this post.Schultz is a 3.5M cap hit and has 2 years left on his contract and is from Strasbourg, Saskatchewan. That’s pretty close to Regina.

BEHIND THE NET SAYS……..Nick Schultz

• Offensive Zone Start: 41.0 third toughest among Minnesota regulars over 35GP, although he faced the toughest among those who have played over 40 games
  • CorsiRel: -8.7, worst on the team among regulars over 35GP
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest, although the 3-5 D appear quite close

More on this later, but dealing Tom Gilbert for Nick Schultz and calling it progress is impossible. Gilbert is a quality 2-way defenseman and Schultz is a player who can step in and play big minutes at evens and penalty-kill for the Oilers. Schultz has had injury troubles for the Wild, but has dressed for almost all of Minnesota’s games since the lockout.

The Oilers addressed their troubles at defense by dealing their best defenseman. Someone smarter than me will need to explain this transaction.

163 Responses to "Oilers trade Gilbert for Schultz"

1. kinger says:

Oh God.

2. pboy says:

This doesn’t make any sense to me at all. Unless Gilbert demanded a trade, I can’t see letting him go.

3. Alpine says:

Schultz is a good add, just not at the expense of our best fucking defenseman. What bugs me is how Schultz would have been a great partner for Gilbert had we traded someone else like 6.

4. Paulus says:

Gilbert’s another guy that the media dislikes in Edmonton, is he not?

5. rich says:

This was not the trade I had in mind from v3.5. Gilbert’s been the best puck moving d-man on the roster all season. And he’s hitting people.

Yes Petry is coming along but Whitney’s ankle is still not right (see him looking like a pylon against 39 year old Ray Whitney as exhibit 1a for proof).

No way Tambi moves to v4.0 after this move. Dissapointment is an understatement.

6. Mr DeBakey says:

I’m glad for Gilbert that he’s no longer part of this shitshow.

The Oilers had Gilbert and Petry and Whitney – duplication, duplication, duplication

Whose model are the Oilers following?
    The Black Hawks went 40 years between cups.

7. fuzzy muppet says:

I like Schultz as a player and he’s a great dressing room guy.

But, AT BEST, this is a Lateral move.

8. SK Oiler Fan says:

Just wait until Shultz is playing in front of Oilers goaltending rather than Backstrom. Those numbers are going to get worse.

9. OilClog says:

I would of preferred to keep Gilbert.. but.. Schultz is a guy this team desperately needs.. lets officially welcome Jason Smith 2.0 to the fold.. clap clap clap.. Now what to do about a top puck moving defenceman.. what would it take to get Gilbert out of minn??

fuzzy muppet:
    I like Schultz as a player and he’s a great dressing room guy.

But, AT BEST, this is a Lateral move.

And one thing i want to say here: Schultz is fine, he’s a good player. I’d be happy if he came here for someone not named Gilbert.

12. LMHF#1 says:

Lowetide: Fuzzy, the only way this makes sense is the Oilers having another deal that happens today addressing defense and bringing in a player similar to Gilbert.

LubomirLubomirLubomir. Now you say there’s no way and let’s make this happen LT!

13. Smarmy says:

Of course it’s a lateral move (at best) but I guess the Oilers looked at Whitney, Gilbert and now the rise of Petry and decided they needed more Smids.

I suspect they see this as adding more balance to the backend.

14. fuzzy muppet says:

So if there is another move, who’s going out??

15. hags9k says:

Wow. What the hell are we doing.

16. misfit says:

I’ve always been a big fan of Schultz, and I think he would’ve made a great defense partner for Gilbert, but I think you said it best, LT. They traded their best defenseman (and the best player in the deal) for what? To save $500K in cap space (even though they’re spending $700K more in real dollars)?

Potter is now the team’s #2RD. How scary is that?

17. OilClog says:

Lubomir??? Gross.. I would hope the Oilers are working the phones for say a Garrison. Or some upcoming D men that are closer to the teams age.

18. nathan says:

From last thread:

BOOKJE says: February 27, 2012 at 11:08 am
    Zona talked about this last year (hate to give any kudo’s to Zona).

19. Matt.N says:

If you are going to trade Gilbert, create a market for him. Leak it to the media and get some bidding happening. Not this through the back door shit.

20. LMHF#1 says:

OilClog:

If you look at some of the stats that various people compiled re: Visnovsky’s connection to making our offensive players go, you’d understand. My eye matched those stats as well.

21. McSorely Head says:

I guess this explains why Gilbert didn’t make the trip to Winnipeg. It must have been in the works for some time.

22. SK Oiler Fan says:

I wouldn’t say it needs to happen today, but regardless of any other moves or who they draft why would ST not get full value for Gilbert?
    The only way to explain ST thoughts here is well we’re going to do such and such to replace Gilbert’s abilities so what we get back for Gilbert in a trade isn’t that important. Brutal asset management.
    A 2nd rounder from Minny may have evened this out.

23. OilClog says:

Matt.N,

I do believe the media was correct in saying he was on the market.. was not much of a surprize to hear him traded.. would of been nice if it didn’t work against us so much though. Is that really all that could be had for Gilbert? I think not.

24. OilClog says:

LMHF#1,

There are defence out there that will do what Lubomir can do if given the oppurtunity, Lubomir at his age will be going to a playoff team. Regardless of stats and short term fixes he isn’t the guy this team needs/wants by a mile.

25. justDOit says:

Foster and Gilbert reunited in Minnie. As that team seems to decline, they continue to shed good defenseman – Burns, Zidlicky and now Shultz.

I like the addition of a career +29 player, but we’ll see if he’s the straw that stirs that defensive drink, or if he’s a product of a good defensive team and a big goalie. Maybe next season, the Oilers are that defensive team with a big goalie?

I think that next season, we’ll see even more progress from Petry and Potter, so the loss of Gilbert will be eased by them.

26. Professor Q says:

I believe you mean Nick Schultz, Lowetide? You have Jeff up there, from the Capitals.

27. LMHF#1 says:

OilClog:
    LMHF#1,

1 – I don’t see very many capable of that.

2 – Don’t you want to be a playoff team next year?

28. hunter1909 says:

Please Sirs, allow me to defend “Sgt” Shultz here:

Oilers are a young, easily pushed around team with incredible talent.

Gilbert is a talented yet soft, and arguably cowardly hockey player.

Shultz instantly rockets to Ryan Jones’ level fan comedy imo, he’s a real character guy, which oilers young dudes desperately need.

Oilers expect to add defencemen to the mix, although naturally we can’t see anything other than the apparent subtraction. Mr Katz(who, after seeing Oil Change I’ve suddenly decided to really like), is no fool.

Hemsky was re-signed!

…Can I rest my case now? Do I even have a case?

PS: Good luck Tom Gilbert, Hunter1909 wishes you every success imaginable(unless playing the oilers).

29. misfit says:

Potter is now our #2 RD
    Potter is now our #2 RD
    Potter is now our #2 RD

30. OilClog says:

LMHF#1,

1. Did you see how I mentioned there are defence out there if given a chance..

2. Yes I would love to be a playoff team next year, that is why I understand Lubomir will not take this team to the playoffs. At this point in his career, he’s a player that is added to a already playoff team. Or Anahiem would be a playoff team would they not??? I have no beef with him, but I don’t need a magical ball to know that he isn’t the Oilers key to the playoffs.

31. hunter1909 says:

misfit: I know there aren’t many supporters of this deal here, but I figured that had to be said before someone tried to defend this move.

Beaten to the punch!

I really need to find out what people mean when they say soft. Hemsky’s soft, gilbert’s soft. WHAT? How about you drive down the boards with regehr on your ass and then you can ccalln these people soft.

33. LMHF#1 says:

OilClog:
    LMHF#1,

1. Did you see how Imentioned there are defence out there if given a chance..

1 – Yes, I’m just confused as to who you’re referring to that is acquirable for short of a ransom.

34. OilClog says:

Hemsky is a beast.. there is no one in the league that gets runned at as bad as him.
    Gilbert is only considered soft because he’s not Jason Smith

35. Cactus says:

SK is right – it’s a bit early to fully evaluate this move. Unfortunately, we won’t know where it fits in Tambellini’s plan until sometime around July 10.

This seems like a slight step down or maybe a lateral move, but if it sets up something else, it could make more sense in a few months.

36. OilClog says:

LMHF#1,

A cheaper alternative would be a Campoli.. A more better Long term alternative would be Garrison.
    And to truly replace Gilbert without being robbed, we wait until the draft. It’s clear to you we’re not making the playoff this season right?? Lots of time from now until next October.

37. mustang says:

Hi everyone, long time reader of your blog LT, just thought I would post. I’m with you I don’t like this trade at all, 77 was just coming into his own, this season was a very good one if that idiot didn’t run him in Chi. Not sure how this is going to make the Oilers better in the now or in the future.

Becauase this management team has shown they understand imbalance?

I like Shultz, but not for Gilbert.

Especially with Whitney being lame and done.

A negative overall move.

39. LMHF#1 says:

OilClog:
    LMHF#1,

I have little faith in managment’s ability to strike on trades except when other teams are operating in situations impacted by a sense of urgency (real or imagined).

40. fuzzy muppet says:

Not saying it would happen, but what if Ryan Suter gets that extra 500,000?

Who am I kidding?…… the Oilers lose this trade, big time.

41. FastOil says:

It makes perfect sense to me. Gilbert isn’t one dimensional enough for the Oilers, plus Schultz will be in decline by the time any games of consequence come around which will lessen having to think about what to do with too many good D. Brilliant.

42. Professor Q says:

Exactly. And those people saying that aren’t playing in the NHL.

43. fuzzy muppet says:

Tom GIlbert is a classy guy. He will be missed

44. striatic says:

i think this may be born of the realization that Ryan Whitney no longer has the mobility to play fall back defense.

of course Gilbert probably could have played that role too. is Schultz that much more responsible defensively than Gilbert?

45. MrSmitty says:

Horrid move, I was absolutely shocked when I saw this on twitter. Tambo screwed up badly on this, Probably set us back at least another year :(

46. Professor Q says:

MrSmitty: Horrid move, I was absolutely shocked when I saw this on twitter. Tambo screwed up badly on this, Probably set us back at least another year

Well with this 4-5 year rebuild plan it just may work out…

47. striatic says:

Cactus,

agreed that final judgment should be reserved until July 10, but on its face this deal looks bad. really bad.

48. mustang says:

So, is Peckham on the move today? Could he be packaged up with 35

49. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: How about you drive down the boards with regehr on your ass and then you can ccalln these people soft.

If I’m in the NHL playing defence, I’m sure as hell never going to stand there looking like a big girl when one of my team mates is getting the crap beaten out of him by some goon(like I’ve seen Gilbert doing).

Hemsky isn’t soft. Gilbert IS soft.

50. OilClog says:

striatic,

I think schultz and smid become one of the best shut down duo’s on the pk in the league by this time next year. I think schultz addition will allow players like petry, potter, and whoever they add more room to be offensive minded. While the loss of Gilbert isn’t good today, I believe it allows the Oil to audition petry as that guy. Which he may just turn into one of those good young offensive defence everyone clamours for.

51. hunter1909 says:

FastOil: The other shoe dropped. I guess there was no way the signing of Hemsky could happen without an at least equal counterbalancing stroke of idiocy.

Okay snap.

52. Professor Q says:

OilClog,

And let’s not forget, Ryan Murray! (I think Grigorenko would be nice, but think Oilers are targeting Murray)

Or Griffin Reinhart. He’s trending.

54. OilClog says:

in two years when all these contracts end.. what’s cheaper to resign.. schultz or gilbert? who would have more trade bait at that point? seems both style of defence is hot property at the deadline.. I don’t think this is as bad a trade as people are making it out to be. I’m on the side after listening to schultz about the trade that he could be a huge key into righting our defensive woes.

55. rich says:

Schultz is a completely different kind of d-man from Gilbert – more like a Smid. So now we should “theoretically” be better in terms of our play in our zone, tracking players, etc… the stuff a stay-at-home d-man brings you. Not that Gilbert was bad – he was very good this year.

But with Whitney not near 100% and a bad turn from being out for a long time and Potter more of a 3rd pairing guy – who takes those minutes?

I get this on some level – long-term (not that I like it any better); but without picking up someone who can really play that role I feel we’ve taken another step back.

56. regwald says:

Mr DeBakey,

Why stop at 40 ? Go with the Leafs model … 44 and counting … LOL

57. OilClog says:

I like both those young guys.. but lets be honest.. any Dman drafted this spring.. ceiling for them has to be a fowler like effectiveness. With no real pan out until year 3 of their career for top end defenceman. I believe they’re targeting one of those guys in the draft, but there has to be a player they’re after for the next couple of season until then.

58. hunter1909 says:

You need to count your blessings, in that you can allow yourselves to get up in arms over this relatively small trade that happened today.

Hemsky leaving was 1000x bigger a deal than losing Tammy bloody Gilbert. i didn’t even realise it, until Hemsky re-signed for that 5.0 a year deal, lmao.

59. fuzzy muppet says:

At least they didn’t get picks and propects right? No magic beans here!

60. CapeBretonOilers says:

Come on guys ..heard about the trade — didn’t make any sense .Came on here to have it explained how this was a good deal ….nuthin ? Sigh …. well at least they didn’t trade for ” the equivalent of three first round draft picks ” …. well not yet I guess

LD
    Whitney
    Smid
    Schultz

RD
    Petry
    Potter
    Sutton

Extra: Peckham, Barker

62. DBO says:

So our D next year:
    Smid-Petry
    Shultz-Whitney
    Potter-Sutton

Not scaring anyone. need a top end guy to compete.

63. striatic says:

Listening to Renney’s interview about the trade, he seems .. less than enthusiastic about the swap.

ambivalent.

said that Shultz was an excellent shut down defenseman but then followed up with how Gilbert was also an excellent shut down defenseman.

obviously had to be diplomatic but sounded like he was struggling to explain the swap.

64. DSF says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏ @TSNRyanRishaug

Oilers had interest in Aulie, but Burke was set on Ashton from Tampa. They definitely inquired about the big defender. #tradecentre

65. Traktor says:

Ryan Murray shoots left.

66. TheOtherJohn says:

LT

Agree with you Gilbert was not soft. Not particularly physical but a damn fine D man. We got a Gilbert equivalent D man back less the offense. Those trades are never made.

To appease LT can we get Pouiliot back, he is in mile 18 of the marathon and he is just rounding into form

67. stevezie says:

Why is the national media talking about this deal like we moved on offensive D for a defensive one? Gilbert had offensive upside, but he was very, very good on his own end and a killer shotblocker. What is the point of this? I am thrilled to get Schultz, he is exactly what we need, but are people still confused as to what kind of defenceman Gilbert is? Did this season not settle the bullshit criticism that he was soft/high-risk? I mean… what the fuck? How does this make sense? This isn’t even robbing Peter to Pay Paul, it’s robbing Peter to pay Peter.
    I feel the same from the Minny side. I don’t why either team does this deal.

68. pboy says:

Lowetide: LDWhitneySmidSchultzRDPetryPotterSuttonExtra: Peckham, BarkerAnother shoe has to drop, unless they’re abolutely certain Murray or Barker can step right in this fall. I don’t think there’s anyone bubbling under (Klefbom, Marincin, etc) who can help that RD depth chart.

Or they don’t have a fucking clue how to build a team. That’s another possibility.

Trading Gilbert is nonsensical. A RH shot, who’s played his best stretch of hockey (IMO) this season and a guy who can play in all areas of the ice and keep his head above water, regardless who the other team has thrown over the boards. I don’t mind adding Schultz but not to replace Gilbert.

Gillis made a sweet move getting the Swede. Really, that guy is lapping the NW field of general managers and among the best in the league. Right up there with Chia, Holland and Poile.

Traktor:
    Ryan Murray shoots left.

But they could move someone over, right? Whitney?

71. blackdog says:

A step backwards. I like Schultz but Gilbert is a better player. And my guess is Schultz’s numbers don’t look as good without Backstrom behind him.

Trade a top pairing guy who brings more offence and, according to the stats, blocks more shots and hits more.

Plus a bit younger and the cap hit isn’t that big a difference.

Man oh man.

And can he play the right hand side? If not suddenly this club is really unbalanced L to R?

72. DSF says:

Sedin, Kesler, Pahlsson and Malhotra down the middle.

Jeebus.

73. Truth says:

I was waiting to see “Edmonton also recieves a second round pick along with Shultz in the Gilbert deal” from my Twitter feed. Never came.

74. oilersfan says:

i wonder if the oilers plan to get Grebeshkov? i didn’t like him with gilbert as they were identical players. but paired with schultz that could be a good second pairing.

75. DBO says:

I think we’ll come out of this thinking Shultz is solid, makes us better in own zone, but it still doesn’t address the lack of two way men. Petry has huge responsibility now. And that’s a big gamble on Whitney’s feet problems. I really hope more is coming draft day. Be great to see Bulin moved, but not happening with another year on deal.

76. mattwatt says:

That is where the issue lies Lowetide. With this management group, we have always stated that “another shoe has to drop.” Issue is, it never does. Why would we expect this to change? Steve Tambellini feels that this is a move in the right direction; he thinks (and he will most certainly do this):
    – Whitney is a good puck moving option, no sense in having two of them.
    – Petry has emerged, will take Tom’s place in the line-up
    – Potter will come around like he was beginning of season, and be a solid top-4 option.

Only issue with Tambo’s thinking is that:

– Whitney’s injury concerns are far from being out of the woods. Likely will be spending a lot of time on the IR next season or will forever be a shell of himself. Cannot be relied upon as a top-4 option
    – Petry has played under a 100 NHL games. Lots can happen over the next 50 to show that he is not Tom Gilbert at all.
    – Potter is a good 6/7 option, not top-4.

Once again this management looks at this situation in the totally wrong light, and it will come to bite this team on the ass.

Furthermore, if the braintrust feels that some drafted defenseman can come in and be plugged into the Oilers top-4, we are further screwed.

Only bright side is that someone will likely be fired if that is the case.

I like Schultz, but he’s a guy you acquire without taking Whitney, Gilbert and Smid out of the equation. Petry is going to face tougher minutes, more pressure and can’t get hurt.

At all.

78. nelson88 says:

Like the player coming in but I have the same feeling about this one as I did when we traded Kyle Brodziak.

At least Gilbert is heading home to play. Classy guy and wish him the best moving forward. No doubt he will be an Oiler killer.

79. pboy says:

Just thinking about how Stauffer is going to justify this, is already annoying me.

“Well, when you look at what Petry is accomplishing at a young age and with Whitney’s game getting back to normal, Gilbert was redundant here. Getting a guy like Nick Schultz will really solidify the back end. Remember, Tom Gilbert was a bit soft, he didn’t defend his teammates and he wasn’t willing to sacrifice his body on big hits. Great move by Steve Tambellini.”

Because it’s clearly an issue to have too many good players on your team. It’s called depth, you fat prick.

Now I’m arguing with myself, great.

80. mattwatt says:

Man, some media members have great insight into trades!!!

These dudes get paid to talk about hockey? Does it say on the application for some of these jobs must be a “no-talent ass-clown” to apply?

81. stevezie says:

I’m going to quote myself and increase my wittiness: “This isn’t even robbing Peter to pay Paul, it’s robbing Peter to pay Peter and getting dinged on transaction fees.”

Schultz is not huge and Gilbert is already a great defensive defenceman. Explain any of this.

82. peeps says:

So much for the nice feelings over the weekend from the Hemsky signing… today, with this new info, feels more like a typical Oiler’s fan’s day.

I don’t understand the need to make this move.

Below are the average stats for Shultz and Gilbert from the last 3 years (2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011 – before this, TSN didn’t report hits):

Player / Games / Goals / Assists / Points / Plus-Minus / PIM / Hits
    Shultz: 77.7 / 2.0 / 14.0 / 16.0 / -5.3 / 37.3 / 80.0
    Gilbert: 81.0 / 5.3 / 28.7 / 34.0 / -6.0 / 24.7 / 57.0

So… we’ve traded away Gilbert for someone who has roughly half the offence, comparable +/-, more penalties, and roughly 50% more hits.

I realize there is no context to these numbers… however, my suspicion is that away from the typically defensive Wild, Shultz +/- may become worse. I doubt Shultz’s offensive numbers will soar with the Oilers.

Finally, for this year so far, Shultz’s +/- is lower than usual (could it be because of the new coaching there), and worse than Gilbert’s, and both of them have had roughly the same number of hits (even though Gilber has played 15 fewer games. Fear not though… Shultz has ~ 3x as many penalty minutes… I hope they’re the good kind of penalties that fire up the team (*oh god). Oh… and Shultz has 3 points this year, so roughly only a quarter of what he has typically demonstrated by this time of year.

With fewer points, a poorer +/-, fewer hits, and more PIM, has Shultz already fallen off a cliff (as some defencemen do around 30?) and Minnie knows it but we don’t (yet)?

BTW, if this trade was made just to save $500k, then the Sutton signing is looking a lot worse right now.

83. fuzzy muppet says:

Damn that Poile is good,

Nashville just got tougher to pay against. That team is built for a playoff run.

84. gogliano says:

If they managed to get Schultz without giving up Gilbert this team would have really taken a step forward with this move. He is an important player type that I think the Oilers need–someone to throw out there whenever there is a defensive faceoff/tough situation.

As it stands, though, the D is still a mess. It needs a clear #1 who can move the puck.

85. Traktor says:

Tambellini is a bum.

29th overall and didn’t sell a thing.

Tambellini couldn’t sell water in a desert.

86. fuzzy muppet says:

Name a Gm that wants Khabibulin? Barker? Peckham?

Hard to sell shitty hockey players

87. Traktor says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Name a Gm that wants Khabibulin?Barker?Peckham?

Hard to sell shitty hockey players

Sutton, Belanger, Hemsky, Gagner, Jones, Omark, Dubnyk.

They could have traded Hemsky for a defensemen and signed him in the summer.

Tambellini signing players so terrible that they cannot be moved isn’t a very good excuse.

88. Traktor says:

Gaustad gets a first rounder. Jesus.

Tonight was prom night but Tambellini is going to make his move when everyone sobers up.

89. Traktor says:

John Scott (traded for 5th) has more value than Barker.

LMAO

90. oilersfan says:

Gaustad is worth more to Nashville than Hemsky? I am not sure Poile is as smart as we think he is.

91. Smarmy says:

Apparently, Gilbert spoke to Fletcher before Schultz had been notified. Sounds like a bit of a shitshow went down in the Wild locker room.

92. icecastles says:

I agree that it’s silly calling 77 or 83 ‘soft’. But this is a foolish rebuttal, LT. I think we can all agree that no player in the NHL is soft if we use our soft selves as the bar by which they are judged. Come on.

93. TheOtherJohn says:

Nashville top 3 centers are, now: Legwand, Fisher and Gaustad. Decent

They are going all in for this years playoffs

94. russ99 says:

stevezie,

Wow. Must have been a while since you’ve seen a great defensive defensman. FYI: Gilbert ain’t one.

Comparing to the Chicago rebuild, we got our Seabrook.

95. bookje says:

icecastles: I think I get it now. I always thought when we said a player was good or bad at something, we were comparing him to other NHLers. But apparently we’re simply comparing them to you and I and the others on this blog.

Maybe the point is that it is silly to use terms in a derogatory way when talking about professional NHL players.

96. jb says:

I’m still asking why? I really don’t get this trade

Minnesota boards generally seem to be pretty happy about it and seem to think Shultz is a 4/5 guy..

We did not get our “Seabrook”

97. Schitzo says:

Holy hell, Kassian for Hodgson? What is Gillis doing?

98. cabbiesmacker says:

russ99:
    stevezie,
    Comparing to the Chicago rebuild, we got our Seabrook.

Schultz is Seabrook now? k. Hope your stay on earth is a pleasant one russ

99. russ99 says:

Not Seabrook now, Seabrook during their rebuild. Big difference.

100. Ducey says:

So no Bulin trade, eh?

And no Nash trade.

Only 13 trades in total.

101. Captain Obvious says:

russ99:
    Not Seabrook now, Seabrook during their rebuild. Big difference.

You’re on crack. This comment doesn’t make enough sense to be nonsense.

102. Cactus says:

Ducey:
    So no Bulin trade, eh?

And no Nash trade.

Only 13 trades in total.

103. stevezie says:

russ99,

You’re right, I overstated the matter. Gilbert is a good to very good defensive d-man with some offensive upside. Schultz is a good to very good defensive defenceman with no offensive upside. I’m willing to grant Schultz might be a little better on the one end, but Gilbert is way better on the other. I find this trade more confusing than angering (I do really like Schultz), but I cannot find one angle in which we can be called the winner. Seems zero sum gain at best.

104. DSF says:

Schitzo:
    Holy hell, Kassian for Hodgson?What is Gillis doing?

Trying to win a cup…NOW

105. oilersfan says:

ashley

I think we would all apreciate your outlook on Whitney’s health going forward. surely the oilers think he is going to recover. do you think there is a chance?

i was wondering if they play Whitney only 20 minutes a night, and don’t play him in back to backs, can he recover and play for a few more years at the level he is at or maybe a bit better?

thanks. you nailed it before so i would certainly love to hear your opinion now.

106. fuzzy muppet says:

I already envision Kassian hurting an Oiler.

Ill give Gillis credit. He’s good

107. Henry says:

Why do they do Schultz/Gilbert now? Does Minni think they can take a run at the playoffs? A hockey trade could have been done after the season at the draft.

Can only think that they got down on Gilbert for some reason internally. His play during the first few months of the season was as good or better as any defensemen in the NW division. Schultz is a good player, but they could have got more, at least a decent pick to go with him if they wait to trade Gilbert.

108. JorgeR04 says:

What would have had to be added to Gagner to get Hodgson as our #2 in Edmonton for the future? Anything? Am I way off in wanting that?

109. fuzzy muppet says:

Gagner > Hodgson

110. Cactus says:

Why would you want that Jorger? Gagner’s finally coming into his own and even if you don’t want him, I’d much rather draft Grigorenko in the summer.

111. Oilers bloggers react negatively to trade of Gilbert | Edmonton Journal says:

[...] here is one other Oilers fan, Allan Mitchell of Lowetide, who believed in Gilbert through it all: “The only way this makes sense is the Oilers having [...]

112. Ducey says:

Cactus: Ducey, I don’t know about you but I couldn’t see any team out there willing to take on that extra year in Khabby’s contract. We’ll have to wait till next year for the final resolution of that saga. At least he hasn’t been totally dead weight this year as he fills up a roster spot.

I wasn’t surprised other than Derger was saying a bunch of teams were after him and usually playoff teams are looking for a goaler this time of year. No goalies were traded, right?

113. Cactus says:

Ducey: no goalies, unless you count Bishop over the weekend. Bernier from the Kings was also talked about a lot in the last couple weeks and there wasn’t anything on him today either.

114. maudite says:

one funny factor in this one…It seems like a key factor, when the local hacks are applying the tar on the way out, is chemistry. How good in the room people are. Seems like everytime I see or hear anything Gilbert is out hanging with the boys. Seemed like a very close friend to the younger end…our corem, no? This leads to the likelyhood he’d be more partial to staying here in 2 years, than some guy coming in on the last couple years of his deal.

To the appologists:
    Can we please stop assessing whether Dithers is a savy GM or not. Plus minus his body of work already. Tell me how you can come close to a couple over par. Please do not use AHL. That was a gimme. I had that down in a bet when Katz bought the team. There will finally be enough money to straighten out a proper development system. Credit where it is due, props to Katz’s money. Never speaking to Hemsky about an extension til the mob started to turn on him (straight out of Hemmer’s own mouth there).

Whatever…guess we’ll see in another 2…3 or 4 years. Not sure how much more time is needed.

115. uni says:

Tambellini and the Oilers just proved they are incapable of doing a good thing (extending Hemsky) without screwing the pooch on something else. Tambellini just got rolled all the way back to v2.0. Apparently 4.0 was full of freaking bugs.

Christ. Disgusted doesn’t even begin to describe this.

Fire Tambellini already, we need no further evidence, he’s worthless. Can the professional scouts too if they recommended this, waste of oxygen.

116. misfit says:

- Pronger traded for Smid
    - Smith traded for Pitkanen
    - Pitkanen and Greene out,Visnovsky in
    - Visnovsky traded for Whitney
    - Barker signed to replace Foster
    - Souray bought out and replaced by…Potter?
    - Gilbert traded for Schultz

It would be nice to see a move that didn’t make our defense worse for once (ok, getting Pitkanen for Smith was pretty good).

Potter is now our #2 RD

117. pboy says:

Darcey Regier did well for his team today.

118. Captain Obvious says:

My preliminary assessment is that San Jose, Vancouver, and Nashville did very well today. And Minnesota of course.

119. striatic says:

you know you’ve lost a trade when Tencer has to bring out his “tough guy voice” to defend it.

120. Jon K says:

I’m ambivalent over the Gilbert trade. I’m very high on Schultz and think that he will help provide a strong defensive option on the backend. That’s good. However, we moved out our most complete defenseman in the prime of his career. That’s bad. Hard to say that Tambellini screwed the pooch on this trade, but it strikes me as a poor move when one asks if there were other ways to acquire Schultz (or similar players).

On an unrelated note, I really like the Canuck’s trade of Hodgson. With the acquisition of Pahlsson they have great veteran depth at C, and they add some supreme toughness in Kassian and a defenseman that the numbers absolutely love in Gragnani. Boourns to Gillis.

121. spoiler says:

Tambo:

Brought Schultz here for his poise, to defend a lead, for those situations like the last two mins of a hockey game.

Don’t have enough of what Schultz brings in the org.

Great leadership, great physical fitness, ultimate professional. Great in his own end.

Can play both sides, L and R.

Improving the D became a priority after Hemsky signed.

Good deal for both teams.

122. spoiler says:

Must have mentioned defensive poise at least 3 times.

123. Captain Obvious says:

124. stevezie says:

Fully admit that there is not a lot of D in our forwards, so it has to come from somewhere. Fully acknowledge Nick is exactly what we needed. Disagree that trading Gilbert for him is a step up.

I don’t think GIlbert gets enough credit for his defence.

125. Ducey says:

It seems that this trade brings the “pro-side” of the Oilers into question again.

They have the amatuer side covered – MBS, Silinger and the rest are doing well. The system there seems sound.

But they continue to make trades where you wonder whether they have any kind of pro analytical process or scouting at all.

I get the impression that many of the trades are Lowe piping up and saying “Oh, yeah, he was great at the World Juniors and we had him high on our draft list. Lets do it” In the process they ignore the 10 years a guy like Schultz has spent in professional hockey.

126. Ducey says:

Captain Obvious: I might have to become a Vancouver fan. That is one GM who really knows what he is doing.

I’ll drive you to the airport :-)

127. spoiler says:

Ducey:

They have the amatuer side covered – MBS, Silinger and the rest are doing well.The system there seems sound.

I get the impression that many of the trades are Lowe piping up and saying “Oh, yeah, he was great at the World Juniors and we had him high on our draft list. Lets do it”In the process they ignore the 10 years a guy like Schultz has spent in professional hockey.

I did not get that impression from Tambo’s presser at all. I got the impression he knew exactly what kind of player Schultz is.

Gilbert for Schultz is a lateral move. I’m not crazy about it, but not as negative as most.

Still need to acquire one more veteran top 4 D for next year.

129. blackdog says:

Canucks dealing from strength. Must be nice to have that luxury.

130. striatic says:

stevezie:

I don’t think GIlbert gets enough credit for his defence.

i think this is right on. unfortunately.

the narrative being pushed here is “puck-mover for stay-at-home”, when Tom Gilbert played excellent defense for the Oilers.

the issues on D are real but don’t come from Whitney, Gilbert, Smid but instead from Barker, Peckham, Teubert and at times Potter and Petry.

if i’m the Oilers, i want a player like Schultz, need a player like Schultz, but would rather package Potter or Petry and a pick, rather than move Gilbert. Maybe they tried that.

at least getting a pick alongside Schultz would have provided ome balance.. meh.

131. Alpine says:

I can’t wait to see how hilariously bad Barker playing without Gilbert in the lineup affects the Oilers in their own end.

5-2 Winnipeg.

striatic:

That’s so awesome and so correct.

Well done.

133. tubes says:

You guys are craaaazzzy. First you say how amazing the Hemsky signing is, now you’re calling for Tambo’s head over a trade that will help us defensively. Don’t get me wrong – I like the Hemsky signing because I know how impossible it is to get talent to stay here, but we did pay $10M for someone who might not get 100 points in the next two seasons.

On paper this trade looks bad but for years the fans have been calling for Gilbert’s head and for good reason – he consistently gives the damn puck away in his own end and makes stupid decisions. Not as bad as Cam Barker but he still makes idiotic plays. Even though this year was his best defensively, who says he’s not going to regress? This is a hockey trade. Suck it up boys. We acquired a good, stay at home dman who actually hits, blocks shots and will help keep the puck out of our net.

Did we overpay? Maybe, but when I read things like “Few defenders in the NHL are as underrated as Nick Schultz” and “all he does is take on the most difficult minutes available night-in and night-out” I get excited. He’ll have a long summer to recover from his headache and oh btw, he can play RD, so he is our number 1/2 RDman.

134. "Steve Smith" says:

Tubes: your post presupposes, without providing justification, that this trade will help the Oilers defensively. That is where you disconnect with the rest of us. You’re welcome.

135. tubes says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Tubes: your post presupposes, without providing justification, that this trade will help the Oilers defensively.That is where you disconnect with the rest of us.You’re welcome.

When I get a chance I’ll try to break down the corsi, corso, corsa, etc. for the two of them over the last few years. I was basing my opinion on what I know about the two players. People rave about Schultz’s defensive play; not so much about ToGi.

136. TheOtherJohn says:

Did we fire some of our really shitty pro scouts? Because if not, I am not looking forward to seeing how this trade works out. I liked Gilbert especially this year. Not physical but a real NHL defender who adds some offense.

Do not see Petry replacing him in the short term and have no clue how Oilers act as if Whitney recovery is a given. Ray Whitney blew by him at age 40 and was not a good skater at age 20. Not sure, at this point that our Whitney might be slower than Strudwick

Surprised Khabby, Peckham, Barker, Tuebert not moved to play-off contenders. Wait, other teams can watch the Oilers play on Centre Ice…… Can we trade them some of our pro scouts?

If Barker is qualified, Oiler management is beyond redemption

137. sliderule says:

We are cornering the market on defensive pylons.

Barker Sutton Whitney Peckham and now Schultz .

In the system we have Plante Teubert and Musil.These guys make some of the NHLers look quick.

We don’t need to clone Steve Smith we already have .

138. "Steve Smith" says:

tubes: When I get a chance I’ll try to break down the corsi, corso, corsa, etc.

Very good. I trust we’ll be forgiven for ignoring your opinion until then.

“Steve Smith”:

The problem is that Gilbert was the price, so there is no net gain. I’m don’t think it is a disaster, but they needed another defenseman before today, and they still need one.

140. nelson88 says:

So far the Dy’s fans really aren’t warming to the Kassian for Hodgson deal. Time will tell. Risky too be sure.

LT’s crystal ball was fairly accurate just in the wrong room. For years he claimed Kassian was primarily drafted by the Sabres as an answer to Lucic. Obviously Gillis thinks that as well. Interesting trade.

141. matmik says:

“Steve Smith”,

Advanced math said POS was going to succeed and RNH would struggle. Go read the Wild message boards most feel they gave up their best D and definitely their shut down guy.

This deal makes a lot of sense if the oil can keep tanking and draft the big Russian center at 2. Then you package gagner, pick, and prospect for an elite PMD.

142. rickithebear says:

The key is Smid-petry have played as a top pair. for 20 games and got equal results to a Smid-gilbert top pair.

Gilbert facing upper seconds without Smid historically is 2.99GA.

Whitney has played 1st comp with top 20 Play. Injured Whitney is a 3rd to 2nd Comp d as he heals.

We are paying or #1 puck moving Dman 1M with an expected jump to 3-3.5M

we are paying two puck moving Dman 8M to be our #2 and #3.
    Edmonton picked whitney over Gilbert to be the #2 puck mover

Potter slots in to our #3 puck mover at a 3.25M reduction.

Schultz slots in to second pair dman at an 1.25M increase from Barker.

XXX-Schultz
    Smid-Petry
    Whitney-Potter
    Sutton

143. "Steve Smith" says:

matmik:
    “Steve Smith”,
    Advanced math said POS was going to succeed and RNH would struggle.

On POS, the advanced stats said the opposite. On RNH, we did not have access to what are normally referred to as “advanced stats”. So you are wrong on both counts.

(I will also note in passing that by many metrics RNH *has* struggled…which is to be expected from an 18 year old kid, so that’s certainly no knock on him.)

godot10: If Gilbert were not the price, the oilogosphere would be ecstatic at the acquisition of Schultz as exactly what the Oilers need, a mid-career top 4 quality defensive defenseman.

The problem is that Gilbert was the price, so there is no net gain.I’m don’t think it is a disaster, but they needed another defenseman before today, and they still need one.

Agreed. If we go like this:

Smid-Gilbert
    Schultz-Petry
    Whitney-Sutton
    Potter

I’m pretty happy. But that isn’t what happened.

I’ve moved the GDT to the top of the page, wanted to let everyone know.

146. Mr DeBakey says:

Yes, yes and yes.
    Or, they still need two.

Petry, Whitney & Potter – Man oh man oh fuckin man

147. Gerta Rauss says:

Schultz

Tambellini

I’m conflicted with this deal-Schultz looks like a nice addition but Gilbert was a steep price to pay-agree with the sentiment that we’re still at least 1 NHL D man short.

148. matmik says:

"Steve Smith": On POS, the advanced stats said the opposite.On RNH, we did not have access to what are normally referred to as “advanced stats”.So you are wrong on both counts.

I seem to remember it differently with POS – advanced metrics for defensive d man are weak at best. The Wild blog is generally pissed about this deal

149. "Steve Smith" says:

matmikadvanced metrics for defensive d man are weak at best.

Explain.

150. kinger says:

Tambo in the Oilers war room: “Does anyone have the number of the Iraqi Information Minister”?

151. HeavySig says:

I think we are all missing an obvious point, and that is with Gilbert gone, we could see increased offensive opportunity and ice time for Barker.

Guess the Fail for Nail is in full effect now.

Gilbert’s tweets seemed pretty nonchalant, leading me to wonder if there is more to him leaving than is obvious to the casual observer.

152. "Steve Smith" says:

Interesting take from Cliff’s boy

Even though we’re in the same division, I do talk to Tamby (Steve Tambellini) quite a lot. I remember having a conversation about Tom Gilbert three summers ago to be honest with you when I first took the job. He’s one of those types of players I just felt would help our team.

That basically proves that Damien Cox is full of shit, right?

SS: First time ever!

154. wordbird says:

HeavySig:

Perhaps Cam Barker can become the new Toby Petersen.

155. sliderule says:

LT after reading the tribune I am sure the oilers players and coaches are going to love Schultz.

The question is did we get better?We traded an all around defender for a gritty one dimensional defender who on our team might be exposed as a little slow.

I think it’s significant that players one of the coaches thinks soft like Cogliano and Gilbert get traded.

Players like Peckham are kept around

When Gagner had his fight he was trying to tell the coaches or coach I am not soft.

How much you want to bet Mps is gone by next deadline.

Lidstrom would be considered soft by these guys .

156. striatic says:

HeavySig:

Guess the Fail for Nail is in full effect now.

i don’t want to mind read or play armchair psychologist, but i’ve never seen or heard Gilbert be anything more or less than nonchalant about anything, positive or negative.

Peckham is not very good. Can’t trade what other people don’t want.

158. copperblueandwhite says:

oilersfan,

Grebeshkov’s numbers are way down…not the offensive threat he used to be (imo)..now Kevin Dallman (31 yr old Canadian plays for Astana Barys) is a guy that can skate like the wind and has a great shot, he’s 5th in the KHL in scoring (over one ppg), a Routsaleinan type player that played 150 NHL games with a bad LA team, he would go good with our new spare part.

159. Rebilled says:

My guess is that he gets injured more and plays less than Gilbert.

Looks like a U.S. for Canada deal.

77 finally starts playing really good and he’s traded.

Terrific game so far, RNH and Hall riffing like Clapton and Allman on that one play.

161. art vandelay says:

And Maybe Gilbert wasn’t half as good as Oilers fan thought he was. You know, like most Oilers.
    Being part of the 30/30/29 dynasty just doesn’t bring much on the trade market.
    Welcome to town, Jeff Finger , Rob Scuderi , Mike Commodore , Nick/Jeff/Sgt. Shultz.

162. FastOil says:

The Oilers might be convinved they can’t sign a UFA of any quality because alleged top flight players have spurned them.

But they don’t need top flight players for a role like Schultz’, especially right now. They only need competent players, which I think can be signed. How long did Hannan sit? Trading for them is folly. They need to build up some organizational depth so that they have some pieces to deal when they are getting close that don’t poke holes. There is no sound reason for this deal, even if another tank job is on the secret ledger. The pieces were in place already for that, just had to stay the course with this roster.