See The Sky About to Rain

Ales Hemsky’s situation today is very similar to Ryan Smyth’s Feb 2007. The Oilers and their star player are apparently in last ditch efforts to find a contract that’s fair to both sides but running against the clock. I’m familiar with this situation, because I have two teenagers who cram for tests and put off doing book reports until there’s no time to think. Not the best way to get things done, but the absence of alternatives clears the mind.

Twitter was alive (alive!) with Hemsky stuff last night, which is kind of funny considering he was persona non grata not too long ago in this town.

• Darren Dreger: Don’t rule out the Oilers making one more push to re-sign him. 2-years, $10 million (5 per year) might keep Hemsky an Oiler, might not. Options are being considered.
  • Aaron Portzline: Told Oilers might have interest in D Marc Methot, even though he’s done for the season with a broken jaw. Signed through 14-15 @3M per.
  • Bob McKenzie: Further to Darren Dreger’s tweet on EDM try to sign Hemsky, postgame buzz tonite was GM Tambellini in dressing room area to meet with Hemsky.

Oh, those Oilers. We’re arguing over having enough money to sign Hemsky but acquiring a 5-6D at 3 large a throw is a priority. Anyway, the Hemsky news is most encouraging and the Methot news suggests there may be a defenseman heading out of town at the deadline or over the summer. As it stands, the Oilers have 5 signed defenders and 2 rfa’s:

1. Tom Gilbert
  2. Ladislav Smid
  3. Ryan Whitney
  4. Jeff Petry (rfa)
  5. Andy Sutton
  6. Corey Potter
  7. Theo Peckham (rfa)

Maybe we’ll see a Peckham for Methot trade.

Maybe the fanbase is pushing the Oilers toward doing the right thing and they’ll sign Hemsky. Maybe the Oilers learned a lesson from the Smyth fiasco 2007 Feb and don’t want this to happen again.

Maybe we’re dreaming.

Either way, it was a nice win last night and the team is close to last year’s win total. Maybe this isn’t a false spring, maybe Hemsky gets signed and Petry’s turned that corner and Whitney is healthy enough to resemble the original instead of the television show.

Maybe our long nightmare is over.

We wait.

180 Responses to "See The Sky About to Rain"

1. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Saw Massey in his C&B write up of last night’s game mention the Tambellini-Hemsky meeting, but wasn’t sure if that was just his cruel sense of humour… but now I’ve seen you mention it LT, that’s great news.

As I said to Massey, hopefully ST has finally realised that the tough minutes top 6 uber-skilled winger he’s always wanted is already here.

Getting Hemsky signed, even if only a short term deal, would show at least some faith that management has the ability to learn from past mistakes. No more magic bean / bullets for Stu trades would a wonderful thing.

Well it’s sitting in their laps here, and we shouldn’t assume they’ll ever find the answer if he’s dealt. Chem is a funny thing, and just because you have a need doesn’t mean you’ll ever find it. The Montreal Expos spend 77-82 looking for a left handed bat in the middle of the order and never found it (although Al Oliver had a sweet swing).

3. Henry says:

I wonder if Tambellini saw the light when Hartnell ran MPS. If Hemsky moves, they are an Eberle injury from having no right side…again.

Its amazing how fast the narrative changes in the MSM.

I suppose they just go on what they are hearing, and they mostly listen to each other, so the narrative picks up steam.

Two weeks ago Hemksy was an almost untradable disinterested, injury-prone pariah, today he is part of the solution.

I honestly think what lit a fire under v3.2′s ass was the Franchise and others making noise about Hemsky. We know what they said publicly, more was probably said behind closed doors.

You have to keep your stars happy.

Hall and Hemsky look ridiculous together. They both play at a pretty high rate of speed and make plays where most won’t or can’t.

They must both be square pegs.

Horcoff is the universal hole. (insert a variety of jokes here)

Please sign Hemsky!

5. Henry says:

Whitney was quoted yesterday saying that the guys in the room were practically begging Hemmer to sign a 2 year deal.

He might be a pariah with the Journal for a while, but he sure seems like part of the cool crowd in the room. Hall said that the Cabo trip during the ASB featured Hemmer, Whitney, Hall, Gagner and Horc.

Sign him Tambi, don’t hurt the team.

6. Zack says:

I can’t remember the last time I saw an exciting game like that, it’s been some time (I missed the Calgary whipping the other night). There’s been a lot of interesting tweets from big names these past 24hrs, including one from Bob McKenzie saying the post game buzz was that ST went into the dressing room after the game to talk to Hemsky. And Brown could be available? Him in an Oilers jersey would truly be something else.

On the draft front, it no longer looks like the “Dig for Grig” is happening and a lot of players could be moving up a spot in the draft.

Grant McCagg:
    Mikhail Grigorenko:  There had been whispers over the past month that all may not be wonderful when it comes to the scouting world’s perception of Grigorenko’s competitiveness, but the whispers have grown into full-blown skepticism in some circles. “He could fall right off the map,” said one scout who asserted that his club won’t be considering him in the first round.

“He doesn’t want to compete. If he’s there at 25 and we are picking, we go by him.”

His concerns were echoed by another eastern conference scout who insisted his team will not select the talented Russian no matter where they end up in the standings. “He’s a dog. Take a look at what games Grigorenko gets his points. He gets a handful the other night against PEI. none at Moncton, and one assist (in the nationally televised game) in Saint John.  A couple of weeks ago in Rimouski he’s minus 6. He scares the (crap) out of me.”  While there’s no denying his skill level, and his 73 points in 39 games as a QMJHL rookie are a testament to his offensive abilities, there will be a lot of teams watching him closely in the playoffs to see whether he has the competitive streak scouts like to see in their top five prospects. As of right now a number of teams have several players ranked ahead of him, and that trend will continue if he does not learn to compete at a higher level.

7. Traktor says:

McKenzie lists Edmonton as having strong interest in Brown.

8. hockeyguy10 says:

WG,

Couldn’t agree more.The minute Hall and others spoke up about Hemsky the MSM changed their tune.

9. DoubleJ says:

You guys mention the teammates want Hemsky to stay. What are they supposed to say? Seriously? If the oilers end up with the second pick they’re going to pick the big Russian , I bet $20 Hemsky gets played on a line with Horcoff and Smyth. That’s an insane amount of money for a third line, no?

Hemsky skills set is redundant on this team and the team needs are for a power forward with skill and a top 4 d man. You guys need to let go. Hemsky is an injured prone player who has not shown he can actually play a system. He does what ever pops in his head a the time.

He looks good with Hall? Everyone looks good with Hall.

Trade him please.

Three years in a row at the bottom of the league. New contracts and raises for everyone. No changes needed I guess.

10. DoubleJ says:

Why would Hemsky take a two year deal? It makes no sense. He will get the term in the summer, any normal sane business man needs to look out for his best interest. He’s a foolif he takes a two year deal.

11. hags9k says:

DoubleJ,

If Hall and co. were indifferent or wanted him gone they would remain silent or give off cliched responses. It sounds to me like what has been said has been genuine.

I do tend to agree with you about Hemsky’s game and skill set but re-signing him on a short term is better than more magic beans. I don’t think we get that power forward or top 4 D in a Hemsky deal. If we can, then by all means pull the trigger but I don’t think it will be there.

Also, with 89 coming into his own at C, and the org’s uneasiness with drafting Russians, especially if there are questions lurking about Grigorenko’s heart, I would say we are locked in on the Canadian D, Murray. Just my guess.

DoubleJ:
    You guys mention the teammates want Hemsky to stay. What are they supposed to say?Seriously?If the oilers end up with the second pick they’re going to pick the big Russian , I bet $20 Hemsky gets played on a line with Horcoff and Smyth. That’s an insane amount of money for a third line, no?

He looks good with Hall? Everyone looks good with Hall.

Trade him please.

Three years in a row at the bottom of the league. New contracts and raises for everyone.No changes needed I guess.

What are they supposed to say?Seriously?

I think you misunderstand the context of the players’ comments.

They weren’t asked about Hemsky and the gave a response. If that were the case you comment of “what are they supposed to say” would have merit.

However, these were players piping up about Hemsky in interviews without being asked about him.

What do you expect them to say? Well, if they weren’t asked, then I expect them to say nothing.

But they weren’t asked and piped up to be heard so its a world of difference.

13. Jordan says:

DoubleJ,

Reasons why Hemsky might take a 2-year deal:

He likes playing with his team mates
    He likes living in Edmonton
    His GF likes living in Edmonton
    His GF’s family would be too far away if he went UFA to Nashville
    He likes being on a team with lots of skilled players
    He feels loyalty to the organization (yes, it could happen)
    He feels loyalty to his team mates (much more likely)
    He think he could get more money later if the cap keeps going up and his numbers improve.
    He’d rather go with the devil he knows than the devil he doesn’t.
    He saw that things went badly for Smyth when he left and is afraid of choosing the same path.
    He’s batshit crazy.
    He’s in love with Gene Principe but can’t tell anyone without creating a circus
    He was the second shooter on the grassy knole but has been told if he leaves Edmonton he will be linked to the Kenedy Assasination.

WHO CARES!! If he’ll do it, SIGN HIM.

W.R.T. Mr Brown….
    The last Mr. Brown we had on this team was one of my favourite players. A blood and guts player who didn’t take any crap from anyone and made sure that you paid your pound of flesh to play hockey in the NHL.

I haven’t seen the same level of belly-fire or eye-glow from Dustin Brown, but I have seen a lot more goals scored by him… So if he was a combination of Dustin Penner’s scoring and Sean Brown’s physicallity…. I think there might be a place for him on the Oilers.

As long as we are not dealing from our top 6, I am fine with this. Maybe they like Ryan Jones and a 2nd?

Edit – I think that’s too little. Maybe a defensive prospect like Teubert too.

14. justDOit says:

Jordan,

I’ve taken some flack for my derision of Jack Johnson so here is my defense.

Jack Johnson fancy stats last 3 years:

11/12

CorQC – 4/7
    CorQT – 2/7
    RelCor – 7/7
    Ozone – 6/7
    +/-/60 – 6/7

Good help, middling comp, poor results. Toughest zone starts of his career, but its a reasonable 49%

10/11

CorQC – 3/7
    CorQT – 3/7
    RelCor – 7/7
    Ozone – 3/7
    +/-/60 – 7/7

2nd pairing comp, decent help, easyish zone start. Poor results.

09/10

CorQC – 6/8
    CorQT – 6/8
    RelCor – 7/8
    Ozone – 2/7
    +/-/60 – 8/8

3rd paing comp, poor help, easier zone starts. Poor results

He is good with the puck and very poor without it.

I understand having patience with young D, but he’s 25 now in his 5th NHL year and things are not progressing in terms of his defensive game.

Add to that his $4.357MM/yr contract with 6 seasons on it, and you have bad situation.

Marginal player on a big contract for a long time.

Not good.

16. DBO says:

Yes we have been shitty. yes we have been bottom of the league for 3 years. But our kids are maturing, our vets aren’t dead yet and team chemistry is a huge thing in sports. That’s the reason I think the Rags are crazy to get into the Nash talk. They are a cohesive unit, and moving someone out to get Nash, while an upgrade on talent, can backfire.

So that being said, if hemsky is a guy the others like, and when healthy is a clear top 6 forward (which shouldn’t be in doubt, but yes “healthy” is the issue) then it is crazy to move him.

17. fuzzy muppet says:

What a Shocker! (sarcasm)

McKensie tweets no supplemental discipline for Hartnell.

It’s hard to take this league seriously when they wont do anything to a player on a team from Boston Philly or NY.

A 20 year old kid has to have his career altered on a dirty play and Shanahn does nothing. What a fucking joke

18. stevezie says:

There was a time when Dustin Brown was one of my favourite non-oilers, but the bloom is off that rose. I will now quote Bobby Scribe, Kings blogger:

“Dustin Brown is average, at best, defensively. He can hit. He is not mean. He is not edgy. He is smash mouth in his hitting only. He cannot fight. He is good for 15-25 goals per season and is wildly inconsistent from week to week. His hockey IQ is questionable.”

I loved him because he hit a tonne, and still like him for that. A 20 goal guy who hits hard is awesome, but the list of things he doesn’t do is too long to ignore. Do not view him as that mean, gritty presence our forwards could use. He throws nice hits, but he is not a grinder. He shrinks from fighting.
    Just to be clear, I would still be very interested in him because of the things he can do, but I’d rather have Hemsky, and I sure as hell-fire wouldn’t trade Gilbert. If we decide Hemsky’s contract demands are unreasonable I’d do this deal, but if he can be signed that’s preferable. I’d also offer up Any forward currently on the farm team, but I doubt that’s what the Kings want right now. Assuming Paajarvi’s not done for theyear he has the speed the Kings lack, would you do that? If we move him I’d rather be getting D back. Eager also has the speed they lack, and coud help replace Brown’s physicality, but clearly he would not be the centre-peice of the trade.
    Are the Kings clearing salary and shaking up their room or will they only do a hockey trade? I’m kicking those tires, but let’s no go crazy.

19. Ducey says:

justDOit: Jordan, I like the idea of D Brown coming to town as well – maybe throw Barker in with Jones, and make the 2nd a 3rd?

A reclamation project, a waiver wire pickup and a 3rd in a weak draft year? That wouldn’t get you Charlie Brown, nevermind Dustin Brown.

There are likely 15 teams that would go after Brown. You can bet that at least a first and a very good prospect will be on the table from most teams.

LA needs to win now, so I think DSF’s proposal might work: Gilbert and Hemsky for Brown and Forbort. LA gets a top 4 Dman and sniper for the playoffs, the Oilers get a big body for their top 6 and a guy who projects as a #1 Dman.

20. ItsTheBGB says:

When do your blog turn into hfboards? Everytime I come here the comments are 150 deep. It’s depressing but im glad for your success and respect LT!!!!

Anyway, the closer the deadline approaches, the more I want Hemsky signed. February 27th will either be a sad day or a joyous one.

21. DBO says:

And cause I have some time this morning here is a projected cap situation in 2 years (last year of a Smyth 2yr deal, Hemmer 2 yr deal, Belangers deal, Eagers deal). I signed Harding, Hemmer, and our RFA’s (gave kids raises), SMid a good raise, Whitney resigned for same money (also last year of Gilberts deal). RNH on entry level, drafted Dumba (since I think w end up 5th in draft order)

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
    Taylor Hall ($6.500m) / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($3.775m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.500m)
    Magnus Paarjarvi ($2.000m) / Sam Gagner ($3.500m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.500m)
    Ryan Smyth ($3.000m) / Shawn Horcoff ($5.500m) / Teemu Hartikainen ($1.250m)
    Ben Eager ($1.100m) / Eric Belanger ($1.750m) / Tyler Pitlick ($0.900m)
    Curtis Hamilton ($0.900m) / Anton Lander ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Tom Gilbert ($4.000m) / Ryan Whitney ($4.250m)
    Ladislav Smid ($3.750m) / Jeff Petry ($2.250m)
    Corey Potter ($0.775m) / Oscar Klefbomb ($1.250m)
    / Matt Dumba ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
    Josh Harding ($2.750m) / Devyn Dubnyk ($2.250m)

BUYOUTS: Sheldon Souray ($1.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,350,000; BONUSES: $2,960,000

Puts us at $67,350,000. Not sure of cap reduction, etc. with the bargaining coming up, but that s not a dire cap situation. And with a bunch of money falling off, RNH will get his raise, and kids will be in place to fill roles (Pitlik, Hamilton, Harsky, Klefbomb, Dumba). I believe you may be able to convince gagners camp to take a long deal for that money ($3.5) , and what strikes me most is if we do hemsky for a long term deal it does not kill us cap wise (contrary to MSM thoughts). And with Smyth, Belanger, etc. falling off in the next 2 or 3 years, it allows us to add their salary to kids who earn it while filling the hole with mature kids who can stay in the AHL for 3 years (ala Detroit) or vets who sign cheap deals since if we are running hard, we become a place people want to play in.

We have a true 2 year window to run with these vets, then the kids are in charge. They run the show on the ice, but it allows the team time before they ask the kids to be the locker room leaders, and that is a good thing. Horc will be here for 20 more years so we’ll always have him around.

22. fuzzy muppet says:

Ducey,

Yes, lets set the timeline back even further. More losing please!

23. cabbiesmacker says:

Traktor:
    McKenzie lists Edmonton as having strong interest in Brown.

I would certainly hope so. Nice enough contract for a good player at the right age who has proven leadership abilities and tons of sandpaper. Plus we have no idea where things are at on the Hemsky front. Lost in all the euphoria over how the kids have progressed is the age of some of our forwards and our lack of depth “after” those kids.

You could maybe get Brown at what Smyth will in all likelihood earn over the next 2 years? I’m ok with rewarding good soldiers and all but cmon. Priorities priorities. LA lost a first in 2012/2013? We have those.

Wouldn’t sell the farm to get Brown but would sure as F not want to see him playing 300 kms down the road either.

24. Traktor says:

Woodguy:
    I’ve taken some flack for my derision of Jack Johnson so here is my defense.

Jack Johnson fancy stats last 3 years:

11/12

CorQC – 4/7
    CorQT – 2/7
    RelCor – 7/7
    Ozone – 6/7
    +/-/60 – 6/7

Good help, middling comp, poor results.Toughest zone starts of his career, but its a reasonable 49%

10/11

CorQC – 3/7
    CorQT – 3/7
    RelCor – 7/7
    Ozone – 3/7
    +/-/60 – 7/7

2nd pairing comp, decent help, easyish zone start.Poor results.

09/10

CorQC – 6/8
    CorQT – 6/8
    RelCor – 7/8
    Ozone – 2/7
    +/-/60 – 8/8

3rd paing comp, poor help, easier zone starts.Poor results

He is good with the puck and very poor without it.

Marginal player on a big contract for a long time.

Not good.

Not everyone feels as strongly about BTN as you do. QualComp is about 1/10 on the worthwhile scale. 10 being the best. Going to an astrologer would be a better practice than using qualcomp to delve into players.

Zone start can tell you some things but most of the things you go all-in on are questionable at best.

25. Clay says:

So last night, Fussy Britches tweets that the Oilers have offered Omark and Peckham for Methot, apG. I think that’s a bit of an overpay for a stay-at-home type, but I confess that I’ve seen very little of Methot, so maybe not.

I’ve always seen Dustin Brown as Raffi Torres minus the fine white powder. Good size, good wheels, likes to hit, disappears for stretches of games (just not 20 game stretches like Raffi).

One thing’s for sure, the Oilers won’t get him for cast-offs and mid-to-late round draft picks. The Gilbert + Hemsky for Brown + X seems more reasonable (although, for the record, I’d rather Hemsky sign, and Gilbert stay).

26. nathan says:

DSF: And you just said players like that NEVER become available. You’re welcome
    Woodguy: He’s available? What’s the price? 2 more years at $3.175MM. I might do Hemsky straight up.

Of course as players Hemsky > Brown BUT as current contracts Brown > Hemsky. The extra it would cost to land Brown frames the issue nicely. 5.5 cap hit in the last 2 easy cap years gives you more on the ice in the critical rebuild years: Hemsky + players >>> Brown.

If Hemsky is willing to do 2 years with a strict NMC at least get a 3rd year from him where you have some trade flexibility. Or even a 4th year with no trade restrictions.

2×5.5, 3×5.25, 4×5 are great deals as long as you have some flexibility after 2 years. Nothing wrong with some quick to the point discussions with LA but if you don’t sign Hemsky by Sat. every GM in the league will know ST is running out of options. Meeting with the player (if agent wasn’t present) tells everyone that you are close to the end of your window to sign him.

27. Captain Obvious says:

Ducey: A reclamation project, a waiver wire pickup and a 3rd in a weak draft year?That wouldn’t get you Charlie Brown, nevermind Dustin Brown.

There are likely 15 teams that would go after Brown.You can bet that at least a first and a very good prospect will be on the table from most teams.

LA needs to win now, so I think DSF’s proposal might work:Gilbert and Hemsky for Brown and Forbort.LA gets a top 4 Dman and sniper for the playoffs, the Oilers get a big body for their top 6 and a guy who projects as a #1 Dman.

That trade proposal is an abomination. It sets back the rebuild for years.

Ducey, you are off the reservation. Why do you hate the Oilers? Or, in a more honest vein, when do you think they should be trying to win? Because I cannot imagine a single scenario in which the Oilers field a contending team that arises from your suggestions. Paint me a picture. According to the Ducey plan when are the Oilers good and how do they get there?

It’s funny, I was talking to a friend of mine. Very smart, watches a lot of hockey, understands advanced statistics, and die hard Flames fan. He wants the Oilers to do everything you suggest because he knows it will perpetuate the disaster that is the Oilers.

I’m going to stop typing because I’m so flabbergasted by how awful a trade that would be.

28. fuzzy muppet says:

There’s no way they get Brown.

There are too many teams interested driving the price up. Not worth it

29. Clay says:

Traktor,

If you don’t like the fancy stats, JW does a good summation of Jack Johnson here, using plain old plus/minus.

To summarize, in his 5 full seasons with the Kings, Johnson has been dead last (or tied for last his rookie year) in plus/minus among Kings dmen each year. And since 09-10, it’s been by a big, big margin.

30. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy: What are they supposed to say?Seriously?
    I think you misunderstand the context of the players’ comments.
    What do you expect them to say?Well, if they weren’t asked, then I expect them to say nothing.
    But they weren’t asked and piped up to be heard so its a world of difference.

If a deal did go down where Hemsky went one way and Brown the other leaving you $2M+ to throw at other areas of need it might not be all bad. (unless we throw past rates of success by our management into play of course). Barker’s 2.5 + 2M headed Hemsky’s way + available cap might just land you a decent Dman to flesh things out.

I might even try to Supersize the deal with a somewhat desperate GM if I thought a Bernier might be available as well. If Ales is going to be a tough sign I’d throw a first and prospect/s into the equation as well. If there’s an opportunity to bend a guy who could be jobless at the end of the regular season over the table you gotta do it. Lombardi has to like LA winters over those in Columbus.

31. loosemoose says:

Well, count me as a Shannahater. This league’s officiating and discipline system are pathetic.

How many games would Ben Eager have got if he took JVRs knee out?

Most of that game looked like a rodeo. And nothing for Hartnell.

Weak sauce

32. cabbiesmacker says:

Captain Obvious:

Now theres a proposal I can get behind. Well done Ducey / DSF.

Wisers clap.

33. nathan says:

fuzzy muppet,

Agreed the plus to trade a few months of Hemsky for 2 years of Brown is gonna make a 2 year deal with Hemsky very attractive.

Looks like McKenzie reads the post game visit the way every GM will:

“Dustin Nielson: McKenzie basically just told us if a Hemsky contract doesn’t get done today he will probably be dealt”

34. Captain Obvious says:

This discussion is silly.

Ales Hemsky is better than Dustin Brown therefore trading Hemsky for Brown is a bad idea.

However, if you can’t sign Hemsky then a signed Brown is better than an unsigned Hemsky. In which case trading Hemsky for Brown is a great idea.

So there is nothing to discuss. If you can sign Hemsky you should; if you can’t, Brown is a fine return. But for the love of all things holy do not trade Tom Gilbert for anything.

35. Jordan says:

Clay,

Agreed Clay – Keeping Hemsky and Gilbert is more value to the Oilers than trading them for Brown.

I’ll take the player I know has chemistry with the franchise, rather than the one that might have chemsitry.

But that’s just me – I like the Oilers top 6, as

Hall – RNH – Hemsky
    Smyth/Pajaarvi – Gagner – Eberle

If you have brown on the 3RW, I’m fine with it, but I don’t want him any higher. If he is, you don’t have the depth you need if/when injuries occur.

That’s why I like having Hall – Smyth – Pajaarvi on LW and Gagner – RNH – Horcoff at C – there is inherant injury depth.

Eager has looked really good at 3RW, so I wouldn’t mind him there, but Brown is definitely an upgrade here, and I would be happy for him to eat Eager’s lunch, and force him back on the 4LW with Belanger and Jones.

That’s good forwards depth. But the question then is who is heading over there for Brown?

I’d suggest that considering the Kings’ need for scoring and a low cap hit that Omark, and the Oilers 2nd this year (#32) would be a lowball offer that gives them what they need: cap flexibility moving forwards. If they want a roster player, as I said earlier, I’d move Jones and/or Peckham. But I like the rest, and don’t want it moved.

36. bookje says:

cabbiesmacker: With all due respect WG? Who gives a flying rats ass what the players say really? We talking a business or a popularity contest here? I’m not advocating moving Hemsky necessarily but sometimes the hard decisions have to be made.

The players who play with Hemsky have much better insight regarding his work ethic and his impact on the ice than the general public. They also know if he is an ass or not. Players will seldom ‘slam’ another player, but you can read a lot into the level to which they demonstrate enthusiasm for a player and what they emphasize. When Moreau was leaving everyone basically said that it was good as it was probably time for a change for both the player and the team – that means that he was an asshole and useless. In the case of Hemsky everyone has emphasized how much he helps the team on the ice.

Traktor,

In terms of forwards QC can get wonky due to pure checking forwards not rating high, but in terms of who Dmen play its pretty accurate when I look at QC numbers then look at Vic’s TOI to see who they are actually playing.

I’d give QC a 5/10 for forwards and 8/10 for Dmen.

My crystal ball is 9/10 though.

Agree that astrology is 1/10, unless you are an Aquarius.

Also,

You seem to be a fan of +/-

JJ is the worst on Kings every year.

38. nathan says:

One or both of the following seems likely in the next 48 hours.

* A deal with LA
    * Extending a core player

We all know which move is par. More Oilers than Flyers in LA.

39. stevezie says:

Because of Borwn’s contract I could live a Brown for Hemsky deal, even if I don’t endorse it (Brown is an awesome body checker, he does NOT have tonnes of sandpaper). Adding Gilbert for Forbort is… perplexing. One might someday be good, the other is currently good. Even if Forbort “projects” to be better than Gilbert, don’t we NEED Gilbert right now? The Kings win that trade in a landslide.

Cabbie: Yeah let’s not let the inmates run the assylum, but chemistry clearly matters.

cabbiesmacker,

Keeping your A++ players happy is key component of managing professional sports teams.

Captain Obvious:
    This discussion is silly.

However, if you can’t sign Hemsky then a signed Brown is better than an unsigned Hemsky.In which case trading Hemsky for Brown is a great idea.

So there is nothing to discuss.If you can sign Hemsky you should;if you can’t, Brown is a fine return.But for the love of all things holy do not trade Tom Gilbert for anything.

2 years of Hemsky > 2 years of Brown though.

42. Captain Obvious says:

Jordan,

Trading Omark + pick for Brown is what a good general manager would do. Love that idea. Sure, Lombardi might not do it but if you don’t swing for the fences you’ll never hit a homerun and your idea is both good and plausible.

43. Traktor says:

Woodguy:
    Traktor,

In terms of forwards QC can get wonky due to pure checking forwards not rating high, but in terms of who Dmen play its pretty accurate when Ilook at QC numbers then look at Vic’s TOI to see who they are actually playing.

I’d give QC a 5/10 for forwards and 8/10 for Dmen.

My crystal ball is 9/10 though.

Agree that astrology is 1/10, unless you are an Aquarius.

Also,

You seem to be a fan of +/-

JJ is the worst on Kings every year.

“Millionaires don’t use astrologers but billionaires do”.

- J.P. Morgan

44. DBO says:

WG: agreed. Sorry, but a happy locker room with up and coming stars and talent is a huge importance for this team. Why do you think the Kings are willing to move Brown? Seems like a decent guy, but he doesn’t fit the group they have (now that Carter and Richards are there) and Richards will get the C when he leaves. Changes the whole room. Adding Brown to the Oil may be good, but taking away Gilbert (who I know first hand from people in the org is loved by his teammates) and Hemsky (who from the players recently they like him enough to stump for him with management through the media) you add a solid player but take away from the core happy group.

No to Brown unless it is spare parts and picks (which will not happen). And the price will go way up soon, since so many teams who can’t afford Nash will line up for Brown and his reasonable contract.

45. danny says:

Woodguy: What are they supposed to say?Seriously?

I think you misunderstand the context of the players’ comments.

I asked Shawn Horcoff about the Ales Hemsky situation. “It concerns me a little bit. I’m a big believer in Hemmer. He’s a type of player that it’s tough to duplicate that type of skill and it (skill) is hard to get. You lose a guy like that and it is hard to replace. Obviously we have young guys that are stepping up and doing the job, but I don’t know if you can ever have enough skill up front. The price has to be right and there is economics that go into it, but if I had it my way I’d have him back.” Hard to disagree with him.

46. stevezie says:

Captain Obvious,

Agreed, but considering the bidding war LA probably turns that down. If they come back subbing Paajarvi’s name for Omark’s, do you do that? Paajarvi has the speed they so clearly lack. I like the idea of Lander and MPS playing together, but I make that trade. I think the biggest argument against it would give us too much money on forward and not enough on D.

47. nathan says:

“trading an unsigned Hemsky for 2 years of Brown is a good deal.”

Woodguy,

Not for LA. It’s the plus on that deal that makes 2 years of Hemsky so obvious that you have to look seriously at giving Hemsky years beyond the 2nd if you have to as long as you have trade flexibility beyond 2.

48. nathan says:

Captain Obvious,

Good for whom? Plausible to whom? The number of times Tambi connects he’s probably already good at swinging for the fences.

49. Ducey says:

Captain Obvious,

Captain Obvious: That trade proposal is an abomination. It sets back the rebuild for years…

I guess its got to be tough to be patient when you are the most brilliant hockey mind in existence, but try. I suggest that you become more reclusive. Then dummies like me won’t bother you so much.

50. Captain Obvious says:

The Marc Methot idea is terrible. He’s better than Peckham but that’s damning with faint praise and at $3M/season he is overpaid. If Columbus wants to shed salary on their blue line I hold out for Tyutin. He’s good but he’s also on a long term contract that they may want to lose. Picking up on the above Brown idea, I’d trade Omark + second round pick + choice of second tier forwards like Hamilton and Pitlick.

Columbus is a stumbling beast right now and the vultures are circling. Now is the time to strike.

51. Captain Obvious says:

stevezie,

I wouldn’t trade Paajarvi yet. It’s too soon and you can’t replace that speed.

Ducey,

52. Gerta Rauss says:

53. yawto says:

If anyone else wants to be cheesy with me…

BTW, Is it just me or is Hemmer starting to look like Hemmer again in the last 6 games. Maybe it was just recovery time.

54. Gerta Rauss says:

I agree-I’d throw Buffalo into the category as well.

55. Ducey says:

Gerta Rauss: Does Hartikainen and our 2nd round pick this year for Dustin Brown get the conversation started ..?I like Harski as a prospect but I think the best we could hope for him is that he turns into…well…Dustin Brown.

You have to remember that LA has to win now or Lombardi gets gassed. He will want a roster player who can help them now.

56. cabbiesmacker says:

bookje: The players who play with Hemsky have much better insight regarding his work ethic and his impact on the ice than the general public.They also know if he is an ass or not.Players will seldom ‘slam’ another player, but you can read a lot into the level to which they demonstrate enthusiasm for a player and what they emphasize.

I hear ya L&C bookje but the players aren’t signing the cheques and still get theirs no matter where the team sits in the standings.

Woodguy:
    cabbiesmacker,

Absolutely but how happy are those players, You and I, if the guy they’re lauding is sitting in the PB with a cast on his head?

Ales doesn’t exactly come risk free. If history is important statswise it has to be injury wise as well. I don’t think Oilers management doubts Hemsky’s talent while negotiating but I can certainly understand them having some apprehension about other things. The chance of throwing major $$ at a guy and having it come back to bite your ass is there. Is that any different than letting him walk for lesser value at the deadline? LTIR is all fine and dandy but it doesn’t help us in the standings.

57. copperblueandwhite says:

Woodguy,

….and his numbers will probably get worse playing on the 30th place team in the league…toxic combo.

58. DSF says:

Woodguy: Agreed that if you can’t get Hemsky on a reasonable contract then trading an unsigned Hemsky for 2 years of Brown is a good deal.

2 years of Hemsky > 2 years of Brown though.

Really?

Last 3 years of Brown(including current season)

225GP 66G 144A 210P +17

Last 3 years of Hemsky:

116GP 26G 64A 90P

Now, you may want to pine for the good old days back in 08/09 when Hemsky put up 66 points but, as a betting man, what would you see as Hemsky’s likely GP numbers and production now that he’s going to getting second line minutes and second pairing PP duty?

Given his durability, I think Brown is a much better bet than Hemsky over the next two seasons especially when you compare his $3M cap hit to whatever it takes to sign Hemsky.

59. DSF says:

yawto:
    If anyone else wants to be cheesy with me…

BTW, Is it just me or is Hemmer starting to look like Hemmer again in the last 6 games.Maybe it was just recovery time.

Or maybe it’s trade deadline time.

Has a way of focusing an individual. :)

60. Gerta Rauss says:

Ducey: You have to remember that LA has to win now or Lombardi gets gassed.He will want a roster player who can help them now.

Jeff Carter might help them out a little.

Voynov will step into JJs spot so they really didn’t lose anything on D.

LA hasn’t/won’t have had a 1st round pick for 2 years running now…I think a pick in the top 35 would be attractive to LA.

Like I said,it’s a converation starter…I don’t think Omark and a pick gets it done.

It gives LA some cap room do something over the weekend as well.

61. stevezie says:

DSF,

I don’t think you can say that. This was his contact year; I don’t know what his struggles this season have cost him, but I’d start the bidding at a million dollars with expectations of at least three.

62. nathan says:

Not so obvious prediction: Lombardi keeps Tambi on the hook through to the deadline with lots of trade talk. 15 minutes to deadline Tambi says he’s got Hemsky’s agent in the other room and he’s going to sign Hemsky. Lombardi sweetens with a non-existent asset. After Tambi’s staff catch this they fix the deal just in time for Lombardi to submit it 1 minute after the deadline. July 1 Lombardi sends Tambi a post card of the Hemsky signing in LA.

63. SoxandOil says:

LT.
    PK Subban and the rest of the Canadiens don’t seem to be friends, what would it take to bring him to edmo and is it worth even considering. He seems like a stud d-man but unfortunately someone told him that too many times.

64. DSF says:

Bob McKenzie ‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie

In addition to Rosehill and Boyce (TOR), Miettinen (WPG), Van Der Gulik (COL) being on waivers, CHI G Carter Hutton cleared waivers.

Looks like Burke is clearing cap space for a deal.

65. melancholyculkin says:

Woodguy,

Further to how Jack Johnson is not a good hockey player.

He was the Ryan Jones of the Los Angeles defence.

66. Ducey says:

Captain Obvious: , Ducey, I was being honest when I asked for your plan. It doesn’t have to be detailed, I just honestly want to know when you think is a reasonable time for this team to try and win. My read on your suggestions is that they add up to Dellow’s permanent rebuild. I assume you disagree. If so, when do the Oilers start winning?

The Oilers need to win the Cup. That is not happening for at least three years.

The problem is that they are not able to attract top free agents.

They have Eberle (who has topped out according to you), Hall and Nuge. On defence they have Petry. I think all of those guys are sure things.

After that you have MPS and Gagner who are good bets but I still worry about.

That would be the young core. Add in Gilbert, Smid, Whitney. Keep Hemsky.

That team still is nowhere close to being a contender. The team needs a couple of top Dmen, at least another super skilled forward, some size and a goalie.

To be a viable contender they need someone in the order of Pronger, Doughty, Suter, Weber. None of those guys is coming as a free agent and we don’t have the pieces to trade for them.

The solution is to get the next Weber/ Pronger. Guys like Gormley are going to be untouchable. A guy like Forbort is not, because he is ways off.

Take Forbort, Klefbom, Marincin, add in Murray and you are likely to end up with at least two top flight defenceman. There is another whole wave of guys behind them (Musil etc), plus you still have Petry/ Smid/ Gilbert etc.

That D core will not be ready for three or four years but when it is, it will be dominant. In the meantime, hopefully the guys they have will make the playoffs.

My fear is that we will have gone thru these lean years just to become an above average team that never quite has the horses to become a top 4 team. The Oilers have to take the opportunity now to collect potential superstars. A lottery pick does that, as does adding a Forbort. Keeping Hemsky puts us closer to the playoffs and makes us better for next year, but I don’t care about next year. I care about when our young core is 25 and the need to insure they have all the pieces necessary.

DSF,

DSF,

Way to take least games played as your sample.

I propose a wager then.

Hemsky’s points over the next two years vs. Brown.

Stakes?

68. Gerta Rauss says:

copy paste from ON-posted by Dan the Man

Tencer tweeted that Pajaarvi is on the ice this morning and looks fine. He also said that RNH is taking part in contact drills and will take Renney’s shift simulation test.

Whew.

69. cabbiesmacker says:

nathan:

ST gets 3 postcards. First on Monday from Stan Bowman or Calgary Jarhead at Dustin Brown’s introductory press conference. Second from Lombardi July 1 with Hemsky pen in hand. Third from Katz with plane tickets to Stockton stapled to the back.

70. Ribs says:

Elliot Friedman tweets…

Trade deadline craziness: Lombardi telling inquiring GMs that Dustin Brown is not available. Can’t wait until this is over.

71. cabbiesmacker says:

Gerta Rauss:
    copy paste from ON-posted by Dan the Man

Whew.

Swedeness just needed some blankey and Backyardigans time. Renney wondering how to assay test but can’t remember if he gave it.

72. DSF says:

Woodguy:
    DSF,

DSF,

Way to take least games played as your sample.

I propose a wager then.

Hemsky’s points over the next two years vs. Brown.

Stakes?

Let’s see where they’re playing first but all things being equal, I will take Brown.

73. nathan says:

cabbiesmacker,

Don’t forget the one from Brian Lawton commiserating after Tambi gets dropped for screwing up a deadline trade.

74. nathan says:

Woodguy,

Hold out for DSF’s Gillis superhero blankey. He’ll pay top dollar to get it back.

75. cabbiesmacker says:

Ribs:
    Elliot Friedman tweets…

Daryl Katz and MacT nudge one another and wink

76. cabbiesmacker says:

nathan:
    cabbiesmacker,

And the grand finale postcard….ST and Howson reenacting Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr’s From Here to Eternity beach scene.

77. striatic says:

i hate the sports media sometimes.

you know they are DYING for some Hot Scoops!™ and a Hemsky trade would be the hottest scoop of all now that Carter has been dealt and it looks like Nash may be staying put.

if Hemsky is willing to sign a two year deal for anything approaching reasonable money, you sign him. 2 years fits the timetable and doesn’t overlap RNH’s second contract. 2 years at 5.5 to 6 million for Hemsky isn’t going to bust the cap, you’re not getting anything better back in return and the UFA field at RW isn’t going to be tremendous this summer anyway.

Dustin Brown or Defensive scraps are not going to help the Edmonton Oilers win hockey games in the next couple of years. Ales Hemsky will.

a 5 year, 5 million or higher contract would be a serious issue to consider but 2 years? if Hemsky is willing to take a two year contract, you sign him. GAH!

also, i don’t know how many times this needs to be repeated but the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club is NOT deep at RW, so long as Lennart Petrell is playing NHL hockey. sure he is a role player but don’t tell me that Ryan Jones can’t play that 4th line role, and better. Linus Omark has not even played full season in the show yet and suddenly he’s Ales Hemsky 2.0? crazy. Eberle, Hemsky, Omark, Jones is a strong lineup at RW. remove Hemsky and it is anything but. pull out Hemsky and add injuries and you are in even bigger trouble.

if your answer is “Linus Omark”, or any other player who has not played even 82 NHL games, and you still insist that Edmonton is deep at Forward, i don’t know what to say.

if your answer is “Sam Gagner”, i invite you to look at how successful the Hobbit has been at RW this year, versus how successful he’s been at C.

if your answer is “Dustin Brown for the two years left on his contract”, then why on earth are you not signing Ales Hemsky for two years instead?

78. copperblueandwhite says:

Gerta Rauss,

Khabby is dressed and skating as well…wooohooo!

79. nathan says:

cabbiesmacker,

Thought the last postcard was from brand new Oilers GM Kevin Lowe. Someone’s gotta hold the fort till Katz’s kid does a B.Comm.

Traktor: Qual comp says that playing against Hemsky is playing against dregs and that Sutton is better than Gilbert. . Herp Derp.

“Millionaires don’t use astrologers but billionaires do”.

- J.P. Morgan

I’ll agree with you on the Sutton vs. Gilbert.

Hemsky though had a terrible start, he’s ranked 9th among forwards this year.

Hemsky was ranked 1st among forwards last year.

I think the Sutton thing has to do with them playing him behind the kids, but that doesn’t make it more accurate.

Overall I’m still pretty comfortable given that QC numbers takes into account everyone they have played against. The larger the sample the better with these types of stats.

J.P. Morgan must have been an Aquarius.

81. Ducey says:

Interesting stats from the faceoff dot:

Belanger 57.4% – wow
    Gagner 49.5% – huge improvement
    Horc 49%
    Lander 43.3%
    Nuge 37.7%

DSF,

I can wait.

We should make it something good like the other party must type upon demand by the other party:

“WOODGUY/DSF KNOWS MORE ABOUT HOCKEY THAN I DO, I BOW IN HIS/HER (i think you;re male, but not positive) PRESENCE AND DEFER TO HIS/HER OPINION AS A MATTER OF COURSE”.

With stipulations of maximum requests per week/day and a timeline when it runs out.

Ducey:
    Interesting stats from the faceoff dot:

Belanger 57.4% – wow
    Gagner 49.5% – huge improvement
    Horc 49%
    Lander 43.3%
    Nuge 37.7%

When playing with 94, 89 doesn’t take LHS face offs.

He has improved a bunch though.

Growing up……

84. nathan says:

Woodguy,

How about picking GM avatar’s for each other?

striatic,

Awesome post.

86. nathan says:

Stauffer’s saying his line in the sand is a firm offer of 2 x 5M. Hope that wasn’t the exact message from Tambi last night. They won’t get him for less than 5.25M. And 3 years with no trade restrictions the last year ought to make sense to the Oilers.

nathan,

I’ve had this avatar since signing up for a poker site in 2003 or so.

Its an ink drawing by a friend, the original hangs in my office at home.

I’m pretty partial to it.

88. DSF says:

Woodguy:
    DSF,

I can wait.

Ooooo…man that’s gonna hurt….you. :)

89. nathan says:

Woodguy,

But you aren’t the guy that’s gonna end up with a Millbury or Snow avatar.

90. Captain Obvious says:

Ducey,

The problem I have with this plan is that even if I accepted the premise that you need one of the five best defensemen in the league to win the Stanley Cup (which I don’t) your plan still relies on everything working out for the Oilers. Namely:

1) It is difficulty/impossible to predict when players are going to predict. The farther away from the present you aim to predict the less reliable your prediction. Your plan is predicated upon having a first class defense when the young core is 25. However there is no way of knowing that the core will peak at 25. Ovechkin peaked at 22-24, Carter had one peak season at 24, Mike Richards at 22-23, I wouldn’t say Crosby has peaked but he has essentially missed his 23 and 24 seasons, Rick Nash peaked at 23-24.

The point is that you don’t know what the future holds for Eberle, Hall, and Hopkins. You don’t know when they will peak and you don’t know if they will peak all at the same time. The only thing you do know is that Hall and Eberle are good right now. Planning for an unknown five years from now by ignoring the present puts everything backwards. With your plan the most likely scenario is that they will have settled into the good but not great portions of their career just as the defense is peaking. In the meantime you will have sacrificed the some of the best parts of their career at their lowest salaries.

2) I think you are vastly overrating the likelihood of any of the guys you mentioned becoming the type of defenseman you’ve mentioned (let alone two). If your plan depends upon getting star defensemen out of defensive prospects that you are already on the other side of the betting curve. Sure you might get Drew Doughty but you are just as likely to get a Johnson.

Basically your plan requires everything to go right. Planning to have everyone peak at the same time is a fool’s errand. A much better plan is to get as many good players as you can and take as many kicks at the can as you can. Why only try to win the Stanley Cup two times when you can try five times?

You are obviously correct that the Oilers need an improved defense but it isn’t any easier to improve the defense in the long term than in the short term so they might as well improve right away while the iron is hot. This would require a kick-ass trade here or there but kick-ass trades do happen, probably more often than prospects working out according to a five year plan.

DSF,

The bet is no fiun unless there is some skin in the game.

Renney returning to the bench tomorrow.

Boooo!!!!

I hope he keeps the same lines and D pairings.

nathan:
    Woodguy,

But you aren’t the guy that’s gonna end up with a Millbury or Snow avatar.

edit: Oops, misread it.

I like my odds, but never bet anything I don’t want to lose.

I used to play a lot of poker and short term variance can be a real bitch.

94. DBO says:

looking better:

Ryan Rishaug ‏ @TSNRyanRishaug Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Can confirm there is an offer on the table to Hemsky that he is considering at this time.. Believe it to be a 2 year deal. #tradecentre

95. nathan says:

Woodguy,

how about just for the 2014 playoffs? That’s gotta hurt.

96. TheOtherJohn says:

Oilers need not “plan” ,and I use that word very loosely, to keep Hemsky to a 2 year deal for cap purposes. N/w/s that the Horcoff contract was an abomination! He can be moved in the final two years because his salary will be below his cap hit. There will still be teams struggling to get to the cap floor.

So if term is the supposed issue tied to cap space for the kids, it should not be. Have no clue why team keeps trotting out this BS through it’s surrogates: Stauffer, Rishaug, Spec

Question his health but quit with the Cap space as an argument

97. nathan says:

DBO,

Stauffer said 23 times he was speaking for himself only about the line in the sand being 2 x 5M. I’d be guessing that’s what they offered. A little bit more or another year might do it.

As per RIshaug twitter:

Woot!

Please sign Hemsky! ( assuming its reasonable)

edit: oops, was a little late.

Still WOOT!

99. danny says:

I’m confused.

Didn’t management start their anti Hemsky campaign last week? Haven’t they already unfolded their diabolical public assassination plan?

They clearly didn’t really make an offer right?

Must be 2yrs at 100K less than Hemsky will accept!

Phew. makes sense now. These guys are good.

100. nathan says:

“edit: oops, was a little late”

Woodguy,

So was 2 x 5M if that was the offer.

101. nathan says:

danny,

Soon as Gregor said closer to 11M, the boys said 2 x 5M is a lock to be 500K per year too low. If they want him they added a year or cash.

102. nathan says:

Stauffer not speaking for Tambi again. Helluva drinking game if you have to shoot one every time he says that about his line in the sand.

Surprising:

Dreger: Further to @TSNRyanRishaug tweet on 2 year deal offered to Hemsky. Offered last night. Believed to be $5 mil per $10 mil total.#TradeCentre

If Hemsky wants to stay he counters twice. For 2 and 3.

nathan,

That’s possible, let’s wait until TC 2012, I’m sure we’ll figure it out.

danny:
    I’m confused.

They clearly didn’t really make an offer right?

Must be 2yrs at 100K less than Hemsky will accept!

Phew. makes sense now. These guys are good.

The narrative turned on a dime.

Something happened.

If he gets signed, its a plus for Tambellini.

Unless Hemsky gives a blow by blow account of it all, all we have are assumptions and guesses, regardless of how informed they are.

If Hemsky gets signed its a good move by Tambellini.

105. nathan says:

“The narrative turned on a dime. Something happened.”

Stauffer.

My line in the sand is 2 x 5M. Just speaking for myself
    I hate his critics. He’s a hard worker. He’d help the optics if he’s stay out longer for practice.
    My line in the sand is 2 x 5M. Not speaking for the Oilers.
    He’d help the optics if he’s stay out longer for practice.
    My line in the sand is 2 x 5M. Not speaking for Steve Tambellini.

Caller: TSN just tweeted they believe the offer is 2 x 5M. Whatya think?

106. danny says:

I think the bulls share of narrative thats been going on about Hemsky, has been by the fans. I understand the cynicism driven angst is well earned, but most everything that has been posted around here ad nauseum the past few weeks is complete speculation with limited information.

107. nathan says:

Bettman’s gotta love this one. The following is from the twitter account the flames nhl site links to:

Calgary Flames ‏ @NHLFlames: $10 Million over two years for Hemsky is the funniest thing I’ve heard in a long, long time. I hope it happens. #whatajoke

Not as funny as the Flames’s last effort against the Oilers. Or the fine if the account wasn’t hacked.

EDIT: pulled after 12 minutes

108. Ducey says:

I won’t belabor it as I am sure no one around here cares about my view of things, but the easiest way to “get as many good players as you can” is to draft them and trade for them when their value is the lowest. I agree the Oilers want to go on a big run of mulitple years.

6 years ago Weber was playing in the AHL at age 23. 2 or 3 years later he is top 2 defenceman. He would have been a lot easier to acquire at age 21 than later.

Ryan Murray is the best defenseman in this draft, Kelfbom is a World Junior All Star and Forbort is a 6’5″ good skater see by many scouts as the best in his class. Getting all 3 now is possible. If one is slower in developing, then fine, you have others to fall back on. In 3 years, no kick ass trade will get you any of them.

In any event is sounds like Hemsky might sign and Brown isn’t going anywhere.

Is it possible the 28th best team just talked itself into making no trades at all?

109. DBO says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏ @Real_ESPNLeBrun Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    “Am told Oilers and pending UFA Ryan Smyth are talking contract extension”

Wow, will the Oil have their guys locked up sooner rather then later? Progression? huh.

110. DBO says:

Scary. Stauffer on radio right now saying “Gilbert is very similar to Whitney, Pety and Potter. One of them is redundant and Gilbert has the most cache. And has an attractive contract.” Stauffer is the megaphone for the org now,and I wonder how much is the org checking on fan reaction.

111. nathan says:

DBO,

Smooth. Sign Smyth and say Hemsky would not take 2 x 5M.

“NHLFlames: We apologize for a tweet that was sent out from our account inadvertently. We are looking into the matter”

Looks like someone else didn’t learn from Terry Jones’s DM slagging.

112. Captain Obvious says:

Ducey,

I totally agree that the only way to get a guy like that is before they become that guy. My problem is first, the idea that we should trade our few already good players for them. Trading present-Gilbert for perhaps future-Gilbert is the definition of treading water; And second, that we can successfully identify these players in advance. I’d take Forbort in a second, but I’m not going to trade someone I know is good for someone who might be good. Instead I’d trade someone like Jack Johnson for Forbort. The problem the Oilers face is that their team has been bad for so long they don’t have any overvalued players. The Oilers can’t make any good trades with their current team because the actual value of their good players is much higher than their perceived value.

The Oilers aren’t struggling because of Hemsky and Gilbert, they are struggling because of all the playing time that has gone to Whitney, Barker, Peckham, Teubert, et al. Under these circumstances trading Hemsky or Gilbert is just taking a step backward to take a step forward.

113. danny says:

nathan:
    DBO,

Smooth. Sign Smyth and say Hemsky would not take 2 x 5M.

Looks like someone else didn’t learn from Terry Jones’s DM slagging.

Priceless. They would have been less idiotic if they just claimed someone hacked their Twitter.

114. nathan says:

Maybe the Flames can replace him with this guy: http://twitter.com/#!/BlueJacketsNHL

If they don’t pay by the tweet.

h/t @jessespector

danny:

Rishaug, Jones, Spector, Matheson, Dreger,, Tencer, and to some extent Tychkowski couldn’t mention Hemsky without some variation of: “enigmatic” , “soft”, “first to leave after practice”, “always full of promise, has never delivered” etc.

I’ve seen it hundreds of different ways from the MSM since fall.

Then it stopped two days ago when it sounded like the OIlers might re-sign him.

116. uni says:

Smyth apparently in negotiations to sign a contract extension as per TSN. My favourite part of the TSN blurb is:

“Smyth was captain of the Oilers before being dealt from Edmonton to the New York Islanders at the trade deadline in 2007.”

Um…yeah. They really need some fact checkers over there.

117. Gerta Rauss says:

I like Smytty and I wouldn’t mind re-signing him for next year-but I would like to see the Oilers wait until after the draft..what’s the rush..? We know that Smyth isn’t going anywhere.

118. ashley says:

striatic: >then you’ve got ‘Hockey analysts’ like Glenn Healy going on about how deep Edmonton is at forward and needs to trade it away and spinning up this whole myth that Edmonton is so deep .. well if they are so crazy deep, and Hemsky leaves, who is going to play 2nd line RW for the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club?if your answer is “Linus Omark”, or any other player who has not played even 82 NHL games, and you still insist that Edmonton is deep at Forward, i don’t know what to say

This is the point speeds has been making since early in the season. Despite our obsession with the blueline on this club, (and let’s be honest, it’s not championship D), the blueline is actually where the club is deepest both at the NHL and prospect level. We have a few gems at forward, but very poor forward depth throughout the organization.

We’re going to need more than one line that can score. Two would be good, three would be ideal. Some talented guys for callup would be good too.

I’m not saying we can afford to trade Gilbert though. We’re 29th for a reason. We are in need hockey players at every position, just more at F than D.

119. Jordan says:

uni:
    Smyth apparently in negotiations to sign a contract extension as per TSN.My favourite part of the TSN blurb is:

Um…yeah.They really need some fact checkers over there.

Well, to be fair, Smith and Smyth are exactly the same name – they’re just spelled differently.

Besides, you know that he would have been captain if he hadn’t been traded. And he would have saved us all from theformercaptainethanmoreau.

That’s a time I would love to forget too…

120. danny says:

Woodguy: No.

I’ve seen it hundreds of different ways from the MSM since fall.

Then it stopped two days ago when it sounded like the OIlers might re-sign him.

Oh god please make it stop. PLEASE.

Theres no massive network of character assassins being puppeteered by Tamblowe. I assure you. Theres definitely MSM with poor judgement, and misinformed narratives, and thats all there is to this. The rhetoric is mostly from the fanbase that love solving mysteries wrought with circumstancial evidence.

121. hunter1909 says:

Sounds like oilers made Hemsky a fair offer. Therefore, at least Tambellini’s doing what he can to keep this player in Edmonton, along with the young players on the team who are badgering Hemsky to stay with them. 10 million bucks isn’t enough? Please.

Heeping Smyth is fine also, since he actually wants to stay – so long as they cut his salary in half or something. One Horcoff-esque contract on the team is enough – and what about that penalty shot last night Traktor, because with a real NHL player you can half expect a goal, whereas Horcoff = guaranteed shank.

122. DBO says:

SO Sportsnet Kypreos and MAclean stating that Toronto would trade Franson straight up for Bulin. How is this a question. And Gregor is saying Bulin is valuable for us next year. Are people freakin crazy. I do that trade yesterday. Franson for Bulin adds a solid up and coming dman for a goalie who will not be here in 2 years.

123. DSF says:

DBO:

Glibert and Hemsky to the Kings for Forobort and Brown I tells ya.

Forbort, 20 years old, a 15th overall pick, 6’5″, 200 lbs, still growing, projects as a #1D the Oilers so desperately need and a gritty top 6 forward who can score.

Both fit much better into the “Six Year Rebuid ®” than two players who will both be 29 next season and likely in need of new contracts when the Oilers are a serious contender.

The alternative is to draft a defenseman this summer and way until he can make an impact.

124. DSF says:

hunter1909:
    Sounds like oilers made Hemsky a fair offer. Therefore, at least Tambellini’s doing what he can to keep this player in Edmonton, along with the young players on the team who are badgering him to stay with them .

Heeping Smyth is fine also, since he actually wants to stay – so long as they cut his salary in half or something. Once Horcoff on the team is enough for anyone – and what about that penalty shot last night Traktor, because with a real NHL player you can half expect a goal, whereasHorcoff’= a guaranteed shank.

Lots of speculation on the Twitterverse ® that the Oilers offer is nothing more than ass-covering spin so that Tambellini can say he made Hemsky a fair offer but couldn’t get it done.

125. nathan says:

danny,

Sure the narrative often caters to fans. But Stauffer at least dials it up and down when it suits the team. But then again the team sent him to the official broadcaster, so you know he’s gonna be more careful when it suits the team.

DSF, Twitterverse is also busy with extra Flames RT.

126. hunter1909 says:

Why doesn’t anyone mention the oiler’s TERRIBLE broadcast crew?

They operate with a sense of entitlement that’s frankly disgusting. Chatting and laughing it up among themselves during extended periods of open on ice play; bush league all the way with that effeminate bunch.

Rod Phillips is 1,000,000x better than the current jerkoffs. MEMO TO KATZ: Are you serious about Edmonton shedding it’s “small town” and “bush league city” image? it might start with a serious review of the broadcast team, who imo all need the sack for total garbage announcing. There’s nothing wrong with an old timey hockey broadcast team.

The Flames aren’t a terrible example of this. Old timey yes, but informative – whereas the current oiler’s broadcast lineup are uninformative, embarrassing to the integrity of the NHL, and generally just blow. And Morely Scott is no answer either.

127. nathan says:

“Am told Oilers and pending UFA Ryan Smyth are talking contract extension”

Lowe: Ok. Tambi. You can do 3 x 5M with Hemsky if Smyth kicks in 2.5M.

128. Jordan says:

hunter1909,

Sorry Hunter, can’t agree with you.

I’m not a fan of either Bob Stauffer’s or Dan Tencer’s style in a lot of ways. THey both rub me the wrong way. However, Bob makes an excellent colour man, in that he knows the history of the team inside and out, and when he isn’t spouting off about his own grandiose opinions he provides some quality (if homer-ish) analysis of the play.

Jack Michaels does an excellent job of giving very concise and detailed description of what is happening on the ice. His style is his own, and he’s not trying to replace Rod, he’s just being himself out there. Which is exactly what they need on the broadcasts. And to be honest, I like that the two of them have fun while doing the braodcast. It feels like I’m at the game with a couple of friends. When I’m driving in the car, I really appreciate that.

I will agree that their work in between the periods leaves a lot to be desired on the radio. I attribute most of this to Bob’s style of interview (ask a leading question and get the answer you want). I would love to see someone asking insightful questions that actually might offer up and interesting answer. Rob Brown’s segnments are better, but they don’t add a lot to the broadcasts – I’d almost consider him as filler – not bad but not great.

I’d still rather listen to them than watch the game on sportsnet and have to deal with the talking heads. They are truly terrible.

Or is that what you meant to start with?

129. DBO says:

oh fuzzy britches, here’s hoping you are right.

Tracy ‏ @TreenasOil Reply Favorite · Open
    “Omark and a 3rd for bernier. La wants a 2nd that’s the hold up. Hemsky will be resigned as per Garfield”

130. TheOtherJohn says:

Nathan

With post of the day!!

131. DBO says:

Then move Bulin for Franson and I am happy moving forward. I could see them sticking with the roster as set going into the start of next year if they got Bernier and Franson, as well as signing Smyth and Hemsky to extensions.

132. Ducey says:

Franson is big and has a great shot but seems to be struggling. He was dumped by NASH and has been a healthy scratch quite a bit on a Toronto team that struggles in GA.

Perhaps he is no better than Curtis Foster/ Anton Babchuk?

133. Traktor says:

DBO:
    Pierre LeBrun ‏ @Real_ESPNLeBrunReplyRetweetFavorite · Open
    “Am told Oilers and pending UFA Ryan Smyth are talking contract extension”

Edmonton is looking like they will have the exact same roster next year as they had this year. The kids would do well to match their numbers this season and MPS and a couple others should improve but that will likely be canceled out with some of our veterans taking a step back (Smyth, Bulin, Sutton, probably Horcoff).

I guess that means Renney is done and Tambellini wasn’t joking when he said he thinks Edmonton has a playoff roster.

134. art vandelay says:

Five million bucks for a charter member of the Glass Menagerie who has never topped 23G in a single season?
    Yah, go ahead and sign him up.
    That’ll solve your AHL-level D and goaltending.

Newsflash: the only hockey fans who think Hemsky is worth anything more than a pile of smelly socks are the success-starved rubes in Edmonton.

135. Jordan says:

Sign Hemsky for 2×5
    Sign Smyth for 2×3
    Trade Omark & 3rd + 5th for Bernier
    Trade Bulin for Franson.
    Trade Peckham/Barker for futures

If this happens, I think we can officially announce the arrival of Steve v. 4.0

136. art vandelay says:

Oh, and I’ve listened to Peter Maher several hundred times back in the Calgary days and it’s easy to get through an entire broadcast without realizing anybody has scored. It’s like a three-hour infomercial and stream-of-consciousness sleeping pill.
    Easily the worst play-by-play guy I’ve ever heard. no contest.

137. Traktor says:

hunter1909:

One Horcoff-esque contract on the team is enough – and what about that penalty shot last night Traktor, because with a real NHL player you can half expect a goal, whereasHorcoff= guaranteed shank.

Horcoff is actually pretty good in shootouts.

The problem is when he has to play against other players.

138. Dominoiler says:

I am curious to see the comments about Hartnell’s dirt bag hit last night..
    What is the discussion around the no suspension call.. It looked Dirt Ball to me (retaliation)..

Hartnell – “I don’t know how [Paajarvi] is doing or whatever, but hits like that happen. You get bumps and bruises and things like that. I don’t think I went out of my way to hurt him or try to hurt him. I was finishing my check.”

‘I was finishing my check’ – means he didnt try to avoid / stop the knee on knee contact, in my opinion..
    Not cool, NHL.. not cool…

139. nathan says:

TheOtherJohn,

Aside from that Comrie number, not sure I’m kidding.

Hockeybuzz: “Ales Hemsky has a 2 year, $5mil per season contract offer sitting on his coffee table, waiting to be signed. Will he sign it? It sounds positive. He’s still thinking it over, but it looks positive. If he doesn’t sign, the Oilers won’t up the offer….Oilers busy negotiating a contract extension for Ryan Smyth. Sounds like it could be 1 year, $4mil or 2 years, $3.5mil per”

Lowe: Tambi, every inch North of that 5M you go South of that 3.5M.

Jordan,

Hemsky leaves because they wont go 250K over that 5M.
    Smyth gets 3.5M to the penny day before training camp starts.

No new number for Tambi.

140. stevezie says:

Ducey,

I think Anton Babchuk for Khabibulin would be a coup for the Oilers. This is three straight seasons of back-up quality numbers for him, and it’s only his experience that makes him a backup. I would agree that Franson might not be what we need, by he is anything, and boy would I ever take anything for Khabi right now. Could probably send them Barker back, just to help everyone’s numbers work.

I would be surprised to learn that Bernier was untouchable in a Carter deal, but available for Omark and mid-level picks. I’m not too concerned either way, I think his reputation exceeds his track record. I’m willing to defer to others when it comes to scouting goalies, but that Billy Beane quote keeps bouncing around my mind, “If he’s so good at hitting, how come he dn’t hit good?”

141. Alice says:

You can’t have four? Since when?

142. DBO says:

Alice:

You can’t have four? Since when?

agreed. but Stauffer is putting it out there for a reason. scary like i said.

143. stevezie says:

Dominoiler,

There were a few interesting things from that game that are being ignored today. If Hordichuk doesn’t get played in that game, why does he ever get played? Ever? Why call him en enforcer? What does he enforce?
    Last night was the clearest death knell for “enforcers” I’ve heard since Laroque waited until after a game to accuse Avery of racial insults. If you don’t jump a guy for that… well what’s the point? The only thing Heavyweights police is each other- I’d be fine with seeing the profession fade away as Clarksons and Ashams return to their pre 1970s prominence.

Stauffer is absolutely right, they are similar, but why would we trade the best one?

144. Jordan says:

stevezie,

Better question – why would you trade any of them? Good 5 tool Defenseman – you can never have too many.

nathan,

Stop ruining my blue-sky fantasies Nathan! I’m an Oilers fan – until something positive actually happens, I don’t have much other than those blue skies to hold on to…

145. TheOtherJohn says:

Alice: // Gilbert is very similar to Whitney, Pety and Potter. One of them is redundant //You can’t have four? Since when?

Alice

Last years SCF teams had defense aged:

Boston: Chara 34, Kaberle 33, Ference 32, Seidenberg 30, Stuart and Boychuk 27

The greatest team that has never won anything had: Salo 37, Bieksa 31, Hamhuis 29, Ballard 29 and Edler 26 (before playoffs start) .

But I can see why some think we should jump to a 19-20 year old cluster of D moving forward in year 2 of a 6 year rebuild. NOT!!

146. Ducey says:

stevezie,

Bulin is at .914 behind a pretty porous defence on a team that gets outshot more often than not. Thats 23rd in the league. He has been pretty solid.

Young goalies are notoriously fragile mentally and he might be helping DD too. He seems to be good in the room.

Bernier is at .903 and was .913 last year behind a pretty strong defensive team.

I’d still trade Bulin “for” Bernier, given Bernier’s potential, but Bulin has earned his money this year.

147. delooper says:

I could imagine Brown might *want* to come to Edmonton, both for the hockey and his family. Brown is a kid from Ithaca NY. This is small-town upstate NY. If you ignore the fact that Ithaca is incredibly small, it has some comparables to Edmonton. It’s a great place to have a family, you’ve got easy access to the outdoors, people are very genuine and friendly. He probably doesn’t feel terribly comfortable with LA. At least, I can’t imagine it.

I never got to know Brown terribly well but we played on the same pick-up hockey team for a little while, back when he was in highschool and I was a grad student. My feeling is maybe he wants to come to Edmonton, and that might be why his name is popping up all the time. Keep in mind, this is me transmitting a vibe — I don’t have any actual data to back this up.

148. stevezie says:

Ducey,

I sort of agree. I think Bulin has his moments, and just because a bunch of them happened back to back in October it isn’t fair to take them away. I’ve heard nothing but good things about him in the room and behind Dubnyk in particular. I still think his consistancy issue this year, combined with his overall numbers since the lockout make him a back-up goalie. There are teams for whom it could make sense to employ a 39 year old, 4 million dollar back-up goalie. I do not think the Oilers qualify for this list.
    I should have clarified: When I say I would take anything for Khabi, I don’t mean because he sucks; I mean because it does not make sense for this team to continue to emply him.
    Switching him for Bernier? I share your doubts, and your conclusion that we’re better off taking Bernier now than maybe getting Harding or whomever in the summer.

149. vishcosity says:

Driving from LA to Phoenix, this thread has been pretty entertaining. The added tweets and radio quotes may be my favorite parts. Is there a thread refresh button at the. Ottom of the column? That would be a slick adder IMO.

Still think a thunderous centre is what this team needs, and while Hemsky can play a part in the next couple years, until RNH or Gagner add 50 lbs, this current collection may well mire around the middle for an extended period of time.

150. hunter1909 says:

art vandelay:
    Easily the worst play-by-play guy I’ve ever heard. no contest.

That’s just homerism. Fair enough, but it’s just not objective. And if people enjoy hearing broadcast crews chatting among themselves like gossiping women(during extended periods of actual play), then there’s not much else to be said.

151. hunter1909 says:

Kings are royally fucking up their own version of a rebuild – trading players away for the likes of Penner, Richards, and now Carter.

From now on the Kings probably won’t be much of a hockey force – but they’ll be great for controversy and scandals, haha.

152. Mr DeBakey says:

“Bulin is at .914 ….Thats 23rd in the league. He has been pretty solid. ”

What an interesting fact.
    What an astonishing conclusion..

153. Ribs says:

Tallon making another nice little move. Snagged Smithson out of Nashville for a 6th.

154. Ribs says:

Stauffer tweet shoots down Omark/Methot rumour….

For those asking Linus Omark will not get you Marc Methot

155. eidy says:

Hopefully hemmer signs. I was hoping smyth would be about what bertuzzi signed for. 3.5 million per year seems a bit high

156. Jordan says:

Ribs,

I’m not as convinced it’s a great move (maybe a lateral one) but having an extra 4th liner with some size isn’t a bad play. Might like it more if it’s part of a bigger move.

danny: Oh god please make it stop. PLEASE.

I think you are not understanding what I am saying.

I am saying that a lot (certainly not all) of the hockey MSM were parroting each other about how poor Hemsky is.

Then there’s signs that the Oilers want to sign him and suddenly he’s not so bad, good offensive player etc.

I’m saying they don’t act like experts on the sport, but lemmings with surface knowledge of what they are talking about. More about talking points than actual thought.

I don’t think I intimated Tambellini is orchastrating a vast MSM conspiricy.

I think he’d have problems orchasrating lunch for 6.

158. Downright Fierce says:

Dustin Brown? Does The Org really want some capable of damning mental gaffes such as this:

Preposterous!

159. russ99 says:

As for that fussy britches Omark rumor:

I would be upset on the Oil not giving Omark a shot before dealing him, but as opposed to Miro Satan’s epic awful trade of similarity, the Oilers would at least get something of value, so I could live with it.

160. cabbiesmacker says:

art vandelay:
    Yah, go ahead and sign him up.
    That’ll solve your AHL-level D and goaltending.

Chuckles while perusing Calgary’s 4 fewer 5×5 goals against, .38 better SPGA and 4 additional season wins.

POWERHOUSE!

Ducey:
    stevezie,

Bulin is at .914 behind a pretty porous defence on a team that gets outshot more often than not.Thats 23rd in the league.He has been pretty solid.

Young goalies are notoriously fragile mentally and he might be helping DD too.He seems to be good in the room.

Khabby was .965 for the first 12 games.

He’s been under .900 since.

I don’t like Franson as a player. I’m afraid the Oiler would consider themselves set on D and Frason would just add to the stable of 5/6 guys imo.

That being said, a warm, not overpaid body for Khabby is like finding $100 on the sidewalk.

You just take it and move on.

art vandelay:
    Yah, go ahead and sign him up.
    That’ll solve your AHL-level D and goaltending.

You should change your SN to “Ray of Sunshine”

163. Traktor says:

Mr DeBakey:
    “Bulin is at .914 ….Thats 23rd in the league. He has been pretty solid. ”

What an interesting fact.
    What an astonishing conclusion..

He is actually higher up the list when you take out backup goalies. Ahead of notables such as Fleury, Ward, Pavelec, Hiller, Miller, Bryzgalov and within 2% points of Carey Price.

Its pretty obvious that can could help a few teams right now (Reimer .904, Gustavsson .905), (Crowford .904, Emery .899)

Ducey,

From: @NewfamousLeafer
    Sent: Feb 24, 2012 4:34p

Khabibulin’s SV% by Month- OCT: .960 NOV: .918 DEC: .896 JAN: .893 FEB: .887. #downwardtrend #stayawayburkie

165. DeadmanWaking says:

bookje: The players who play with Hemsky have much better insight regarding his work ethic and his impact on the ice than the general public. They also know if he is an ass or not.

In corporations with rigorous hiring processes, one of the methods preferred is to have the candidate interviewed (multiple times) by the team members the person will actually work with. I suspect the kids like the way Hemmer is first over the wire against the machine gun nest when storming uphill against German administration of the Alsace-Lorraine. Storming downhill under French administration they don’t need him quite so much. Life is not always so easy. In fact, there was nothing easy about Easy Company. When guys were asked why they signed up for hell training, they almost universally said “I didn’t want to serve and die beside men I didn’t respect”. Many of these guys were twenty-year-old All-American athletes pre service. But who cares what kids think.

One story I recall from the book was a German flushed out of his nest scampering like no tomorrow is a distant concern who made the mistake of rounding first base at the exact moment a former All-American catcher spit out the pin while stepping into his toss. Hard to say whether he tore off some German earlobe with his frozen rope before the melon shower. According to his buddies, it was one hell of an out.

The guys in the heat of the moment, they know.

I predict after agreement is reached everyone involved will meet at one of those positively pressured office buildings to ink the deal. As they leave in good spirits Hemmer will grab the fat metallic door handle, pull it open six inches, grimace in pain, then release his grip as his arm slumps, before cracking a big “just kidding”.

“You old guys are all on Lipitor, right? You might want to add some Beta Blockers, and maybe catch some rays for those pasty complexions. Damn, I would have liked an extra year.”

166. nathan says:

Tencer missed the 2 x 5M final offer memo.

@dantencer Believe the Oilers and Hemsky are much closer on term and dollar than some assume. No deal yet, but they’re playing in the same ballpark.

Last thing Oilers want is the 100K apart story. If they’re really close it’s all about length and restrictions. 3 with no trade restrictions after All Star break in last year would be better for the Oilers than 2 years full NMC.

167. Deeg says:

Woodguy,

Keith Aulie’s name being mentioned on Twitter as well – not sure of the original source. Interesting to see if they would then deal for another goalie or if they go with Danis the rest of the season as a backup.

And you would hope then that Barker is gone, either for a pick at the deadline or released over the summer. I like how LT didn’t even list him as an RFA in the post.

168. Traktor says:

Gustavsson is cold (0-1-1, 4.26, .862 in last 4 GPI).

Reimer is cold (1-3-0, 4.08, .856 in last 4 GPI).

#standpatBurke

169. Ribs says:

Signed, sealed, and delivered. Oilers tweet…

#Oilers have agreed to terms with RW Ales Hemsky. 2 years $10 million.

Hoorah!

170. Deeg says:

Hemsky signed as per Oilers?!?!

171. DeadmanWaking says:

A beat too late: … before the melon shower lowered the curtain. There’s the effect I was looking for. That’s the whole discussion, isn’t it? Curtain up, or curtain down? Perfect.

172. nathan says:

NHL_Oilers #Oilers have agreed to terms with RW Ales Hemsky. 2 years $10 million.

correct account. not a crazy intern again?

no hemsky puzzle from Bruce for me. thought it would take 3 yrs.

173. Traktor says:

Ribs:
    Signed, sealed, and delivered. Oilers tweet…

#Oilers have agreed to terms with RW Ales Hemsky. 2 years $10 million.

Hoorah!

Wow.

I probably would have traded hitting for pitching but Tambellini should get a ton of credit. Hemsky could have signed for a lot more if he hit free agency.

#lolCarolina

174. Marc says:

Yay!

Tambellini on Hemsky: “Ales can see the level of skill that’s coming. The type of play we’ve seen lately with him and Hall is exciting.”

#Oilers have agreed to terms with RW Ales Hemsky. 2 years $10 million.

175. stevezie says:

Traktor,

I disagree tha Hemsky would have got a tonne more, but agree that Tambellini deserves credit here. There were times when his process seemed bizarre, or stupid if you were feeling less generous, but all we can know is the results. Good job, other Steve.

176. nathan says:

Marc,

Twitter probably didn’t have room for the bit about him appreciating the direction of management.

Good thing no one DM’d bastard accepted the damned PR offer.

Hope Hemsky has a great final 2 years here. If he has the seasons I expect the young guys will need to make room to keep em.

177. ohhell says:

Excellent news! My faith has been restored…. he says cautiously. I see a happy weekend in my future.

178. Dipstick says:

Somehow Tambellini ~ stumbled his way ~ into getting a great deal for the club. No long term cap concerns. If Hemsky lights it up, he can be traded for more than magic beans next year. The only down side is the team may not finish low enough to pick Grigorenko or Murray.

179. Lucinius says:

What I find amusing is a bunch with TSN/Sportsnet on twitter remarking that the deal is a big overpay for Hemsky and makes Ruutu look underpaid.

Hilarious coming from people who have likely only watched a couple Oiler games prior to the last year. They get hung up on his goals. Hemsky isn’t a scorer — he’s the guy that helps others score, coming off of major surgery and is just getting his level of play to prior levels in the last 15-20 games.

Good deal. I actually wish it was longer term.

180. Henry says:

Traktor: Wow.

#lolCarolina

Just a great signing. This team could have a shot in two years.

I’m the happiest guy in Texas.