Sweet Cornet

Phil Cornet made his NHL debut last night and played pretty well. The young winger picked up an assist early in the game when he took a hit and advanced the puck to Sam Gagner, and then made several smart plays during the game. Nothing earth shattering, but 11 minutes and 19 shifts later he did okay.

The Oilers have employed several rookies again this season. The NHL doesn’t count Lennart Petrell because he’s older and Europeans are trying to take our major awards by being older and more qualified and everythink, but among the rookies eligible for the Calder trophy Edmonton has 8 hires:

1. RNH 38, 13-22-35
  2. Anton Lander 46, 2-3-5
  3. Colten Teubert 20, 0-1-1
  4. Ryan O’Marra 7, 0-1-1
  5. Alex Plante 3, 0-1-1
  6. Phil Cornet 1, 0-1-1
  7. Teemu Hartikainen 5, 0-0-0
  8. Milan Kytnar 1, 0-0-0

RNH is going to be very good and I do believe Lander will have a “small J” Doug Jarvis career based on observation, souting reports and offense. The rest are matriculating toward NHL employment and some will win out at the expense of others. Last year the Oilers debuted Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Omark, Petry and Devan Dubnyk.

It will probably be awhile before that bunch has an equal (for number and quality of rookies in a single season) in our town.

25 Responses to "Sweet Cornet"

1. gcw_rocks says:

LT: Do you think he did enough to earn another game or two? The Oilers could use another shooter with Horcoff and Smyth cold as ice and RNH still out.

I’d think he’ll get another game and be sent out after RNH gets the thumb’s up for Saturday’s game.

3. DBO says:

The big question happens once Barker and Gilbert come back. Movement has to happen because Petry can’t be sent down now cause he’s played enough games (I think I read that yesterday). If that is true, they have to waive Peckham down, or it is the impetus for a Sutton/Peckham trade.

And the healthier Hemsky gets the more I want them to keep him. However, is that not dillusional? At what point do we fully accept that 60 games per year for Hemsky is the best we can hope for, and there is no certainty that he is healthy for playoffs. Are we better dealing him and getting more consistency, or do we go into every stretch run for the next few years praying he stays healthy. Especially since our kids seem to get dinged up as well, and can we have our top 4 players as injury prone? That scares me a lot.

4. Downright Fierce says:

Astro Boy? Joy Division? LT, does your fancy new site monitor my search history & alter the pictures accordingly?

Really pulling for the team down the stretch. Grigs would be butter & a management change would be great, but the latter seems like a pipe dream (regardless of where they finish). If the Oil can crawl past a few teams in the standings this month, I’d be ecstatic. It could improve return on trades & let’s just say that if they intend to pick Murray, I’d feel a lot better if it was in-range.

5. Mr DeBakey says:

Healthy for the what?

6. LMHF#1 says:

When it comes to Cornet:

PLUS – Good offensive positioning, confidence with the puck, good corner work.

MINUS – Not enough on his passes, skating fundamentals aren’t great, scrawny legs.

The good news is all of those minuses are fixable and he’s still quite young. It isn’t so much his speed that’s the issue; with some work on his fundamentals combined with his knack for being where the puck is headed, he could be pretty solid.

7. DBO says:

Mr. Debakey: everything we do this year and next is about the playoffs. Or it should be. If you don’t think you will compete for the playoffs with Hemsky, then you move him. The player decisions shold be based on who will get us to and play in the playoffs. That is the decision needed to be made on Hemsky. If a 50/50 chance he is healthy if we are trying for a playoff shot, then you have to decide if that is enough based on the cap space he will take up and the replacement we’ll need for half the games.

8. speeds says:

DBO:

They don’t really need to do anything, demoting Cornet would leave them with 13F, 8D, and 2G.

9. Ducey says:

10. Jordan says:

Ducey,

While there is obvious value in trading Sutton for that pick, there is also value in keeping him here if they want to commit to him. Considering there remains a stigma about the Oilers organization dating back a long time, I can see why there might be more value in keeping him if:
    – management can’t get the value they want for him,
    – they see more value in getting those Wins than his potential return
    – they see more value in showing appreciation to a player who wants to be here and improve their image with other players by not trading him and resigning him for X term (where x is 2 years or less)

I’m not sure that any of those reasons has as much value as a late second rounder, but there’s an argument to be made there, for sure.

11. danny says:

Lets trade for Radulovs rights, and threaten Renney with bringing him over if he doesn’t start line matching.

12. peeps says:

Jordan: While there is obvious value in trading Sutton for that pick, there is also value in keeping him here if they want to commit to him…

I realize this is pie-in-the-sky, but my hope would be that Tambellini would sit down each of Hemsky, Smyth, and Sutton, explain to them how he’d like to give them chances to play on the post-season but with the understanding the Oilers would sign them in the offseason, and then try to get as many assets for the rentals as possible. If Tambellini did this with even one or two of them, that would be great. Best of all, we’d probably get a better draft pick (sorry, I’m already cheering for draft position, instead of cheering for wins).

(1) I realize that the implementation of such a scheming plan would be beyond Tambellini.
    (2) Would the league or player’s association complain about collusion, or something along those lines? Could the Oilers get penalized by the league for doing something like this?
    (3) I suspect that after becoming accustomed to the operations of a well-run, winning organization, Hemsky in particular would never want to come back to the Oilers organzation.

If I ignore the above 3 issues (and probably a few additional issues I have probably overlooked), this seems like a good plan. I can dream right?

13. itsaleaf says:

Ducey: I would be disappointed if they don’t trade Sutton. I think he has played well,but they should be able to get a second or third round pick for him. They can always sign him again in July if needed.

I’ve always thought this is an ideal situation for a lot of players (hell, do the same with Hemsky), the st be a pride issue or something. Otherwise I’m sure more players would go back to their respective teams.

Asking SMyth/Hemsky/Sutton if they would accept being moved for other assets and then they will try to re-sign them isn’t going to work. It’s more of an NHL 12 move. Otherwise you’d see it happen all the time

14. itsaleaf says:

peeps: I realize this is pie-in-the-sky, but my hope would be that Tambellini would sit down each of Hemsky, Smyth, and Sutton, explain to them how he’d like to give them chances to play on the post-season but with the understanding the Oilers would sign them in the offseason, and then try to get as many assets for the rentals as possible.If Tambellini did this with even one or two of them, that would be great.Best of all, we’d probably get a better draft pick (sorry, I’m already cheering for draft position, instead of cheering for wins).

(2) Would the league or player’s association complain about collusion, or something along those lines?Could the Oilers get penalized by the league for doing something like this?

If I ignore the above 3 issues (and probably a few additional issues I have probably overlooked), this seems like a good plan.I can dream right?

You beat me to it…and much more eloquently done.

15. Smarmy says:

I don’t like Cornet. Doesn’t hold his stick properly.

16. delooper says:

Just one Cornetto,
    give it to me,
    delicious ice-cream, of Italy,
    vanilla and choco dream,
    Give me a Cornetto,
    from Wall’s ice cream.

17. DeadmanWaking says:

I must have eaten a bad mushroom last night. I just had a weird sartorial premonition that Johnny Cash + Don Cherry + bucket of queer = Liberace. In fairness to Google after that terrible slight to TJ, when I began my query with “Johnny Cash” then continued with “Lib …” it made me type it out myself all the way to the last “e”. After frowning upon my quest, it begrudged me with basically a single useful link:

96-year-old once tuned pianos for Johnny Cash, Liberace and Bing Crosby

Evidence you can’t judge a book by its cover:
    one, two.

Here’s the thing: Liberace paired a classy black jacket with a white bow tie. He reserved the flouncy cravat for jackets from the Cherry collection.

Another thing. Liberace had the legs of a titan. From Liberace’s Hotshot Hockey Training Video, here’s the secret for young Cornet: prance around for three hours every night like a man possessed (with the idea that nobody knows) in a costume laden with 90 pounds of trinkets (this was before modern plastic shoulder armour), but DON’T wear the costume reeking of dry-cleaning solvent, that will shut down your kidneys and you send you off to cloud 911.

I watch a lot of movies, but I’m particularly leery of anything from the 1950s. Man, was ever a generation less ready for Facebook?

From Liberace’s Final Curtain:

[Liberace] won a 1959 libel suit against London’s Daily Mirror for its allegation that he was gay … ”He really believed that the blue-haired ladies in his audience imagined him as a potential love god,” says Segell.

If I ever get sent off to Room 101, I’ll be completely unbreakable until the day comes: “Nooooooo! Not the Brokeback generation! My first grade teacher wore a mini-skirt that was just a bit too short! Don’t ever let my sixth grade teacher Mr Mudd catch young girls vaulting off the sawhorse ever again! I’ll tell you anything, anything …”

“We’re onto you, Mr Deadman, we saw you twitch during the screening of ‘Ordinary People’. You tried to hide it, but you did not succeed.”

18. DeadmanWaking says:

I must have eaten a bad mushroom last night. I just had a weird sartorial premonition that Johnny Cash + Don Cherry + bucket of secret sauce = Liberace. In fairness to Google after that terrible slight to TJ, when I began my query with “Johnny Cash” then continued with “Lib …” it made me type it out myself all the way to the last “e”. After frowning upon my quest, it begrudged me with basically a single useful link:

96-year-old once tuned pianos for Johnny Cash, Liberace and Bing Crosby

Evidence you can’t judge a book by its cover:
    one.

From Liberace’s Final Curtain :

19. DeadmanWaking says:

My first attempt vanished (perhaps the q-word triggered a safeguard), when I reposted using Lazarus (a handy FF plugin), it ate my markup. Anyway, as a send up from Troll 101, if it doesn’t clear the fence on the first attempt, the gods have spoken. I once told a close friend that Sinatra rattled my nerves and he didn’t speak to me again for a month. I’m only barely joking about how the 50′s vibe drills into a painful place.

20. DeadmanWaking says:

I mean, imagine, you’re a kid in Liverpool in 1959 and you scoop up the rag off the floor in a moment of boredom to glance at the front page where you come across the largest headline ever printed by the Daily Mirror, The Verdict that Shocked the World. You go, “hey Paul, look at this, these pie fingers got themselves sued for outing Liberace” and then you start noodling “Imagine all the people …” but the rest of the verse won’t come. You go, “hey Paul, is there something so wrong with society that’s making us so pressurized, that we cannot live without guarding ourselves against it?” and you start noodling “all you need is love, love”. And then you go, “hey Paul, the fifties are so done, we’re gonna be bigger than Jesus”.

Seriously, the 1960s started the very next year. Coincidence? I think not.

21. Ribs says:

Where’s that ‘Like’ button now? Nice bit there, Deadman.

22. Ribs says:

We didn’t really discuss Kytnar’s departure to Sweden. What makes a young man leave the continent days after finally playing in his first NHL game? Was his one night experience not everything he had hoped it to be?

23. OilClog says:

Unless another team comes knocking at our door with a top 2 d-man, and a top 5 goalie, I really hope with my big toes crossing my little toes that Tambellini is actually a very very quiet GM this trade dead line. To me Hemsky is a Oiler, always will be. Sutton is the exact type of d-man an organization wants in its depth chart. Smyth is more the captian than Horc.

If Tamborine is active at the deadline I dream big here.. Horc goes to Montreal, they’d like his contract wouldn’t they? Some how in some monster deal, Subban and Price comes west. I know never going to happen, just like Linus and Magnus ever getting a quality role in Renney’s factory of believe it or nots..

24. cabbiesmacker says:

danny:

Excellent idea danny. Maybe if Radulov gave Renney a couple of these he’d get better at line matching.

25. uni says:

The proprietor of the now defunct SouthSmithianRoloGator blog was very critical of the Cornet selection. He actually railed against it (even though it was a depth pick), and ended off the rant with a pledge to eat his hat in some public way if Cornet even played a single game in the NHL (he also doubted he would play much professionally at all).

I believe that person was Lord Bob, but I may be mistaken. In either case, I want a live eating of a hat on the airwaves or the infonets.