I always look forward to the top prospects game, even went to one once upon a time. I’m not foolish enough to think that my scouting report on any of these kids is bona fide, and as proof it’s interesting to read my report from the 2008 game at Rexall:
- Fun game to watch. A lot of exceptional defensemen with a wide range of skills, the Oilers might want to get an early 2nd rd pick to pick up one of those guys.
- I promised to watch Schenn and Boedker.
- Schenn is way ahead of the curve as of now, the WJC experience must have given him a big edge over most of the players on the ice. I can’t imagine this guy going lower than Alzner did last season. He’s terrific.
- I don’t know how it translated on TV, but Boedker has ridiculous skill. Plays with authority and makes people miss, he competed against those big boys on D and never backed down. Based on tonight I’d be thrilled with the guy as an Oiler.
- Some other quick hits:
- Stamkos: Nice player, didn’t dominate like I thought he would. That may be overhype or maybe I didn’t notice him due to focusing on Boedker.
- Del Zotto: One of many defensemen on the night that impressed on a lot of levels. I honestly had a hard time telling who was who because they were all solid.
- Boychuk: A real nice player. He’ll be long gone by the time EDM drafts which is too bad but he’s going to be fun to watch.
- Ennis: Looked small and was outmuscled quite a bit but you can see the skill. He’s a guy who might actually fall to Edmonton.
- Maxime Sauve: A born Oiler. Involved, aggressive and had about 10 chances without scoring. I’d like to know more about him.
- Jared Staal: For some reason I didn’t expect much. I’d read he was not as skilled as his brothers but I think we should probably say he doesn’t play the same style. Scored a beauty goal.
- Bogosian: Very impressed with him, smart player, terrific shot and has a wide range of skills. These defensemen are going to dominate the first round.
- Robak: Made a sweet pass and played a strong defensive game.
- These kinds of games are hard to judge goalies on and I have no clue what works and what doesn’t anyway.
- Drank beer, ate a hotdog (lordy they’re good, worth the heart attack that’s sure to follow) and sat beside a pretty girl the entire evening.
The lesson I believe is twofold: one, I shouldn’t quit my day job. Two, “saw him good” or bad is extremely dangerous from one viewing. I’m not sure a bunch of viewings improves things, but give plenty of credit to NHL scouts for plucking most of the best fruit in the first two rounds every season.
One guy I loved watching a year ago: RNH.