We’re told Ryan Smyth is working on a contract extension now, and when that is complete this 29th overall club is going to have 15 players under contract for 2012-13. Add RFA’s Sam Gagner, Jeff Petry, Devan Dubnyk and Theo Peckham and that’s 19 confirmed survivors. Can the Edmonton Oilers seriously return that many players from the disaster that was 11-12?
Here’s the roster at this time for 12-13 (I’ve thrown in some minor leaguers)
- Goal: Devan Dubnyk (RFA), Nikolai Khabibulin
- Defense: Ryan Whitney, Ladislav Smid, Jeff Petry (RFA), Nick Schultz, Andy Sutton, Corey Potter, Theo Peckham (RFA)
- Center: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sam Gagner (RFA), Shawn Horcoff, Eric Belanger, Anton Lander
- Left Wing: Taylor Hall, Ryan Smyth, Ben Eager, Ryan Jones
- Right Wing: Ales Hemsky, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi, Linus Omark (RFA), Teemu Hartikainen
That’s 23. I’ve excluded Cam Barker, Lennart Petrell and Darcy Hordichuk. What would a well run team do?
- Bite the final year bullet on Khabibulin and find a co#1 goaltender to share the land with Dubnyk. Ben Bishop or better.
- Plan on sending Corey Potter down and add a guy like Tom Gilbert.
- If possible, upgrade the 6-7 spot over Peckham. And fill that slot with the idea that if Whitney’s problems continue that player might have to join Smid, Petry and Schultz in the top 4.
- Find a new home for a roster winger and make room for the new Fernando Dvorak.
Sound about right?
Taylor Hall’s injury status will no doubt get an update today, but I’ve checked the AHL transactions at the main website and there is no recall at this point. We wait.