G66 Oilers at Sharks

The Edmonton Oilers and San Jose Sharks first met early in the 1991-92 season. San Jose was an expansion team with a 1-15 record and the Oilers were 18 months removed from their 5th Stanley. No contest, right? Right.

Boxscore is here.

Do you remember Esa Tikkanen? Holy man he was a character. If you didn’t see Esa, this is a nice introduction.

Tikkanen was an ass. He really was. I loved him, even when he played elsewhere. Tikkanen was an actual hockey player and he could mark his man very well, score goals, and agitate like an old time washing machine. He was so unique I can’t really give you a modern comparable. Esa Tikkanen drove his teammates crazy!

The thing about Esa Tikkanen is he could play.

Among the young Oilers the guy with the most spirit is Taylor Hall, but you don’t want him engaging in this sort of thing–he’s going to be injured enough just skating around trying to score goals. Tyler Pitlick is the most obvious answer via the draf, and Ben Eager holds down some of the position but there’s no one on the horizon who can do was Tikkanen did those years ago.

Is finding another Tikkanen too much to hope for?

168 Responses to "G66 Oilers at Sharks"

1. regwald says:

Love the expressions of the two management teams. Oilers jubilation and the utter defeat of Flames management team.

The other thing that jumps out at me is how small the goalies always look from that era. There was like two feet of space against the post there for Tik to put the puck.

Last night on Gregor’s show they were talking Selanne vs Kurri and as much as I marvel at the scoring prowess of Selanne, I still think Kurri was the best. His one timers and selfless defensive play were always something to marvel about.

2. DBO says:

We lack some sandpaper that is for sure. We have some “tough” players. but other then Eager (on occasion) no one instigates or gets under peoples skin. Hordichuk tries, but he just isn’t enough of a player. Harsky could become that player, and getting another player with size, defensive awareness and enough grit to match is necessary. Jones should be that player, but he plays on the perimeter far too much. Someone yesterday mentioned Steve Bernier, which is an interesting buy low idea, especially if we send away a few of the kids to add a top end dman.

3. regwald says:

Grabovski signs for 5 years. Freidman tweeted 5.5M … so that must be the cap hit.

For a player who had a 58 pt season, that’s a lot of $$. He’s only a year younger than Hemsky.

I wonder if the Eastern media will be raving about what a great signing it is for the Leafs.

4. regwald says:

Elliotte Friedman:
    Seeing I’m in the minority on this one, but I think it’s fair. What’s it going to cost to replace him in a market w/few centres? Also…

Carlyle is going to play him…a lot.

5. Dipstick says:

The most memorable and famous Oiler goals were always those that devastated the Flames. In contrast the most infamous gaffs (Smith – Fuhr) were those that hurt the Oilers when playing Calgary. I miss those days!

6. Dipstick says:

As to an agitator, I thought that Lander might be that player early in the season. He seemed to get under the skin of some opponents. I haven’t seen much of that lately. I wonder why?

7. Jordan says:

Really LT?

The team is languishing with inconsistent play and a coach who cannot seem to get wins out of this collection of players, and you’re asking if we need another Tikkanen?

I’m…. quite surprised.

8. DBO says:

REGWALD: just compared Horcoff to grabovski. Here is some fun with numbers. Guess we aren’t the only one to give out home town overpays.

Lets look at the years leading up to UFA

Grabovski

80 15 25 40 0 73
    79 22 51 73 0 85
    80 16 35 51 -22 56
    53 21 29 50 1 30
    totals
    292 74 120 214 -21 244

So Horcoff had more points, more PIM’s, played PK and was used in all situations. Grabovski gets PP time and plays a good amount. So either Horcoff and grabovski are both overpaid, or Horc;s contract is fine, especially since the MSM in TO and on TV will all say it’s a decent deal. Sorry, but Grabovski excelled the last few years with Kessel getting all the tough matchups, so he faces secondary dmen.

All about context. Burke apologists will say it’s a good deal, but since Horc’s deal came before the cap, i can see why we gave it to him. But with a cap league, and it\s expected to go down, how can the TO MSM make this out to be anything but an overpay.

9. regwald says:

Grabovski Cap Geek. One of these is not like the others ….

Cap Geek Comparables

10. DSF says:

Mark Spector Sports ‏ @SportsnetSpec

Only names of interest on #Oilers clear day list are #Paajarvi, #Lander, #Omark. All can join OKC playoff run.

11. pboy says:

If Brian Burke signed Grabovski for that term and that cap hit, it must have been the right thing to do. BB doesn’t make mistakes. He’s won a Stanley Cup. He drives a Dodge Stratus!

12. DSF says:

@DBO

Horcoff’s contract came into effect in 09/10 when the cap was $56.8 million.

Grabovksi’s contract was signed with the cap at $64.3 million.

13. HeavySig says:

Loved Tikkanen; after the Gretzky trade he marked 99 as well or better than anyone had (including Kasper). He was one of the few guys that could handle the Gretzky checking assignment and still score.

Plus, he pissed the opposition off something fierce. You can always use a Tikkanen, IF you can find one.

14. Captain Obvious says:

The last two season Grabovski has been one of the best players in the league, certainly in the top 15% of forwards. This is a good signing for the Leafs.

At even strength I have him in the top 10 of forwards last year and the top 40 this year. That makes him a top 10% forward. He’s peaked late and this may not last but right now he is one of the best players in the league. He plays top competition, he scores, and he’s a corsi machine. He’d be the Oilers second best player (after Hall).

15. DBO says:

DSF:
    @DBO

Horcoff’s contract came into effect in 09/10 when the cap was $56.8 million.

Grabovksi’s contract was signed with the cap at $64.3 million.

True, but context is everything. right now the MSM in TO are all saying it is a good deal cause there is a lack of top end centres in the UFA market, so while a big deal it is market value. When we signed Horc in the summer of 2008 (1 yr from UFA) we were trying to get Hossa, and Horcoff was a buddy from their europe year and they gave him the deal in part to show Hossa they were serious about competing. Yes overpay in cap regards, but after the Pronger disappointment and the dealing of Smyth, the org felt it had to do something. I’m not saying it was right, but based on stats, age, etc. the Grabovski deal is a huge overpay in the same regards that the Horcoff deal was an overpay.

16. DBO says:

Captain Obvious,

And after the 2007/08 season when we signed Horc, he was almost a pt per game player, played top line minutes, tons of PK, had a great corsi, etc.. He was a top 10% centre that year, and only 2 years before had put up over 70 pts, and was an all star that year. Like I said, same contract, same overpay. You could argue all the things people are saying about Grabovski could have been said about Horcoff when he signed.

17. DSF says:

DBO:
    Captain Obvious,

Salary inflation alone makes the Grabovksi contract a much better deal.

That Horcoff has never exceeded 36 points and is -50 since his contract came into effect should drive the point home.

I would think it’s highly unlikely Grabovski steps into the same elevator shaft.

18. Bar_Qu says:

DSF: Salary inflation alone makes the Grabovksi contract a much better deal.

Because you like Grabovski and don’t like Horcoff?

DBO made his case with numbers, and Horc’s numbers generally look better (on a significantly worse team, which helps explain the +/-). I am still waiting to see what numbers you can provide to rebut that (the top 10% thing doesn’t cut it, as a PDO review might show that is simply luck).

Or are we still arguing turkeys can’t fly?

BTW, I am not arguing Horcoff’s contract is not an overpay. It is.

19. stevezie says:

I remember that Sharks game well, because I lost my first ever sports bet that day. I can’t remember if it was a quater or a dollar, but I bet Gary Worthington at even odds and was down a lot of money to a farm-boy nine year old.

I already mentioned this, but I saw Tik at an old-timers game last month, and he’s still yapping. He was yapping at the announcer in Swedish (how many languages does he kind of speak?), they were shouting back and forth mid-shift, it was beautiful. Didn’t he get a couple of Selke noms? I know Kurri got one- I love the Finns. I loved that Habs clip. We used to be beautiful.

20. DSF says:

Bar_Qu: Because you like Grabovski and don’t like Horcoff?

Or are we still arguing turkeys can’t fly?

BTW, I am not arguing Horcoff’s contract is not an overpay. It is.

To be equivalent in terms of cap hit Grabovksi’s deal would have needed to have been $6.25M.

Now, since I didn’t make the top 10% argument, nor do I agree with it, I’m hardly going to defend it.

Interesting to note that Grabovski sits at .67 PPG in DBO’s 4 year sample while Horcoff is at .73.

Also notable is Horcoff sits at -21 over that period while Grabovski sits at +16.

Not sure how you think the Oilers have been a “significantly worse team” than the Leafs over that time frame since the Leafs have finished 12th, 15th, 10th and are 10th in the four years leading up to the contract while the Oilers finished 8th, 12th, 9th and 11th in the 4 years prior to Horcoff’s contract. Looks like a wash to me.

The only other comment I have is that Grabovski is a significantly better goal scorer than Horcoff and that certainly has value among GM’s.

21. DBO says:

DSF,

I think “significantly better goal scorer” is a stretch. .285 vs .253. that is pretty close. We could go down the stat hole all day, Horcoff’s teams scored less so Horcoff had a bigger percentage of the teams goals, Grabovski’s cap hit is a smaller percentage of the cap, so it’s not as bad. My point was that both are overpays for being a 2nd line centre who scores less then .75 pts/season in the years leading up to the new contract. The issue should be a player having his best season in his UFA year and gets paid. What’s funny is that if the Oil had waited like Toronto did, I would hope they would have signed a better deal for the team and not as much an overpay like they did in the summer before his UFA year.

you can argue all the same points for both players. Best season in contract year, in their “peak” years age wise, both teams overpaying to keep a valuable asset, and nothing in their past suggests they’ll be a pt/game player, yet they are now paid like it. Bad contracts for both.

22. Captain Obvious says:

Here are some Grabovski numbers at even strengthover the past two years in decile format.

Qual Comp

10-11: top 15%
    11-12: top 15%

Pts/60

10-11: top 25%
    11-12: top 20%

Rel Corsi

10-11: 1st in league
    11-12: top 10%

Grabovski is a tough minutes outscoring center. He’s not at the elite level in terms of scoring but he still puts up good numbers without giving them back on the other side and without playing with elite teammates.

This is a good signing in the same way that Hemsky was a good signing. The Leafs wouldn’t have been able to find a better player for the money. Every team can use tough minutes outscoring centers.

23. Ribs says:

The only other NHL jersey I’ve ever owned was a Sharks Jersey. I asked for it for Christmas in what would have to have been the 92-93 season. The colours were so cool. The logo was sharp. No one else in school would have one. I was a happy camper that day.

I could never get myself to cheer for another team, though. No matter how much anger I had towards the Oilers, it just wasn’t happening.

I hope Pitlick can fill that role. From what I’ve seen (not much) and what I’ve heard he has the tools and attitude.

There seems to be a disconnect between Renney and v4.0, or perhaps they are taking Whitney/Potter for a test drive to see how many Dmen they need to add in the summer.

When the 77 for 15 trade was announced:

1) v4.0 talked about having 1 puck mover and one stay at home guy per pairing

-the talk from Oilers (except Renney) and the MSM was 5-58, 6-15, 25-44

-so far we have seen 6-44, and 15 is playing 3rds. 6 has been on for all of the last 7 goals against in the last two games, 44 has been on for 6/7 (hat tip to Bruce)

2) Renney was interviewed right after the trade was announced and looked upset (can’t blame him, they took his TOI horse)

So why hasn’t Renney run 6-15?

Why is 15 playing 3rd pairing when that’s not his MO? (I don’t by the “system” argument, he’s a NHL vet, surely he’d be an improvement on 44)

Pissed off at v4.0 and is proving a point?

Taking 6-44 for a test drive to see if they can actually handled 2nd pairing minutes?

Trying to make sure MTL doesn’t move into 29th?

Renney looked upset when interviewed shortly after the trade was announced. I’d like to be a fly on the wall when Vish, v4.0 and Renney talk about Dmen and what they need.

Right now it doesn’t look like a plan at all, but I’m working with no actual information other than TOI, and media quotes.

Also,

Be nice to see 23 play again. Hope gets something going.

Hope they don’t play him with 20.

SJS wins 5-2.when 6-44 keeps seeing Thornton out on the ice against them.

Go Oilers!!

Captain Obvious:

Qual Comp

10-11: top 15%
    11-12:top 15%

Pts/60

10-11: top 25%
    11-12: top 20%

Rel Corsi

10-11: 1st in league
    11-12: top 10%

Grabovski is a tough minutes outscoring center.He’s not at the elite level in terms of scoring but he still puts up good numbers without giving them back on the other side and without playing with elite teammates.

This is a good signing in the same way that Hemsky was a good signing.The Leafs wouldn’t have been able to find a better player for the money.Every team can use tough minutes outscoring centers.

Grabovski is good signing.

Anyone who can handle the toughs and come away ahead or close is $5+ in the NHL.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jordan:
    Really LT?

I’m…. quite surprised.

I’m surprised anyone should feel the need to justify a heavy dose of Tikkanen under any circumstances. Paying tribute to the past greats is an essential part of being a member of the Oiler community, or any community for that matter. It’s not for nothing that Pericles opened his famous funeral oration with the following words:

“I shall begin with our ancestors: it is both just and proper that they should have the honour of the first mention on an occasion like the present.”

At any rate, I believe LT posted this on another Tikkanen jaunt and it deserves a re-reading:

27. "Steve Smith" says:

stevezie: I already mentioned this, but I saw Tik at an old-timers game last month, and he’s still yapping. He was yapping at the announcer in Swedish (how many languages does he kind of speak?)

Zero, as I recall.

28. Wolfie says:

Fins are required to take 3 languages in school. Finnish, Swedish and their choice of either German, French or English I think.

Maybe Tik got a little confused when he was a kid and has mixed them up.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:

Be nice to see 23 play again.Hope gets something going.

Hope they don’t play him with 20.

I’m guessing (hoping… and after all it is the logical thing to do) Renney pulls 16 out; puts 37 back where he belongs and puts 23 alongside 93 and 14… seems obvious, no?

30. bendelson says:

Woodguy,

There has to be something to this. Renney isn’t my favorite coach but surely he knows Whitney is getting eaten alive out there. The fact that he keeps sending them out for more punishment makes a person wonder about his motivations… And playing Shultz 5/6 minutes makes no sense whatsoever.

Pissed off about the trade? Certainly a possibility.

I’m not sure tanking games as a response will help Renney get a contract for next year but if this is how he wants to go out and ends up taking Tambo down with him – GOOD.

31. Jordan says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Great article. Still worth the read.

I’m not suggesting there’s a bad time to look at him, or any of the other wonderful players who have dawned the orange and blue.

I guess it’s just really odd to hear him suggest that what this team is missing is (as Mark Messier put it) “the best two way player in the game”.

32. bookje says:

Renney’s decision making has been curious for two seasons now. Things like sending the 4th line out after a goal and some of the other choices he has made.

He is either a coach who is ‘overthinking’ things too much and thus making strange decisions, still playing the ‘sink the team for a draft pick’ game, or its all about Player Development and Assessment and winning is secondary (or tertiary I guess).

Not sure, but if he is trying his hardest to win, he is making some strange decisions in doing so.

33. bendelson says:

bookje,

MacT also liked to pull the 4th line shift in response to a goal…
    Didn’t like it then and still don’t like it today.

34. hunter1909 says:

Noticed both the Ducks and Stars intimidated the oilers right from the opening face off; and the poster who mentioned the overall wimpiness of the team, sans a couple of willing but no-skill or brain enforcers hit the nail on the head.

It’s easy to understand the Kid’s inability to cope because of their puny teenaged sizes, but the real culprits are obviously the “veterans”, like sacred cow Horcoff. Or, like Tom Gilbert’s non-offensive reputation as an offensive defenceman schtick, we suppose that “big Shawn” is also excempt from the wrath of the fan.

Jordan:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Great article.Still worth the read.

It’s my belief the Oilers badly need three items:

1. A real goalie to take #1 job or tandem with Dubnyk
    2. A quality top 4 defender
    3. A veteran 2-way winger who can score goals, do the things required to defend while also mentoring young men like Lander and Paajarvi.

Esa Tikkanen is perfect for one of those roles. Especially if he was 25 again. That’s why I used him for today’s post.

36. Scott Reynolds says:

DBO,

I think you’re trivializing the difference in age and term in comparing the Horcoff and Grabovski contracts. Grabovski will be 28 when he plays the first game of his deal. Horcoff was 31. Grabovski will be 33 when he plays the last game. Horcoff will be 36. Grabovski’s deal is five years rather than six. These are significant differences, all of which make Horcoff’s contract look worse than Grabovski’s.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think ST hoped Eager might fill this role, or something like it (minus the mentoring)… i.e., a big, fast, irritant of a power forward that might put up some points. He’s a far cry from Tikkanen, maybe inaudibly so… but I’m guessing he’s a lot closer than Petrell. If Renney is following your wavelength in looking for a vet who can bring some protective jam, I’m not sure why he picked Petrell over Eager.

Additionally… since the whistle’s seem to be lost for the rest of the season… I wonder if Eager will get additional TOI going foward.

38. bookje says:

Lowetide: It’s my belief the Oilers badly need three items:

1. A real goalie to take #1 job or tandem with Dubnyk
    2. A quality top 4 defender

Do you really think Tikkanen would be that much better than Khabibulin?

39. DBO says:

Scott Reynolds,

Agreed it’s a bad deal. I just think the Grabovski deal is bad as well.

On another note, with talk of what the Oil need, let’s just go digging for old oilers in the off season. Assuming we can buy out Horc’s deal, and rid ourselves of Bulin. it gives us room and the need for players between 27-31 (prime) who can fill roles, add size and grit, and help us have a true run for the playoffs next year.

2 LW: Penner (1 or 2 yr at $2 mill) –
    3 C: Stoll (1 or 2 yr at $2 mill) – both having terrible year, so may be value pickups
    1 RD: Wideman (overpay – 4/5 yr deal at $4.75-5 mill)
    1a G: Harding (2 yr, $2 mill. He wants to start, and we are one of few teams with an opening).

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Penner-RNH-Eberle
    Smyth-Stoll-MPS
    Eager-Belanger-Jones

Shultz-Wideman
    Smid-Petry
    Whitney-Sutton
    Potter

Harding
    Dubnyk

That team has a shot at the playoffs, and it doesn’t include the 1st rounder this year (which is probably Murray), Omark, Lander, or Hartikainen.

40. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje,

That’s the funniest comment I’ve seen on here in ages, and I read most of my own stuff.

41. Captain Obvious says:

DBO,

Why buy out Horcoff at all? He’s still a quality NHL player.

Why sign Wideman to so much money? He’s a middling defender, noticeable worse than either Carle or Garrison. Do you really think Carle and Garrison are going to get more than 5 x 5M? Or is it that you think Wideman is as good as they are? In my view Carle and Garrison would be upgrades for the D but Wideman is just another guy. A huge step up from the Barker–Teubert–Whitney–Peckham’s of the world but not good enough to lead your D corps.

I’m good with signing Harding and I’d take Penner, especially if Omark is traded in the offseason.

42. Jordan says:

Lowetide: It’s my belief the Oilers badly need three items:

1. A real goalie to take #1 job or tandem with Dubnyk
    2. A quality top 4 defender

Hey LT.

Yes, I understand that the Grate One was the best example of the kind of winger that the Oilers need. It seems silly to me right now using him as the example of what the team needs though, especially after last night’s game.

Every team in the league wants “that guy” who scores more than he gives up and plays with enough edge to throw the other team’s best players off their game. So is it worth saying that the Oilers need this player?

Jonathan Willis had a fine post over at ON about how much has changed personel-wise in the last 3 years, pointing out that the team has been making changes to the team (significant ones) each season. Yet, the team has more holes and question marks now than when our GM started.

And they’re still in striking distance of dead last.

Before any of those holes will be addressed in a meaningful way, there needs to be a different direction from management. Either this is a dictate from ownership to keep them bad until Palace Katz is complete, or the GM is actually incompetant and Katz doesn’t care. Either way, it doesn’t affect the bottom line, because the market for Oilers tickets is as flexible as the market for heroin.

I feel very sad and very frustrated to be a fan of a team who’s MO is to milk the fans and mislead them that management are going to build a “competitive team”. Right now the only thing they are competing for is how high they can draft.

bookje: Do you really think Tikkanen would be that much better than Khabibulin?

Yes – he would clear his own crease, and would greatly increase the number of goalie fights the Oilers are involved in.

43. DBO says:

Captain Obvious,

Look at Wideman this year. He is entering his prime, plays in all situations, is a right handed D, is a monster on the PP and he kills penalties. He’s improved in his own zone, and is basically a more physical and more offensive Gilbert, so an extra million seems about right. He has proven his offense for the last few years, and he has gotten better defensively the last few years. he has more experience then Garrison (as much as I like him) and Carle has dropped when not playing with Pronger.

as for Horcoff, I still like him at a discounted salary. i posted a few days ago that if you could buy him out at 2/3rd his salary with no cap implications, but can then resign him for the money he loses (like $2 mill a year) then he’s a great deal. Our issue is his deal runs into the years the kids need to be paid, so clearing his big cap hit means we are not in danger of losing one of the kids and can afford to pay a 1-2 dman. And Stoll is younger, more physical, kills penalties, is better on the dot and has as much offense (along with a boomer form the point, which this team lacks on the PP outside of Potter)

44. ashley says:

I just watched the latest Oil Change episode. The pro scouts usually make me cringe. This time the amateur dept had quotes like: “We need a D, so I’m thinking Klefbom” , “We need offense, so let’s go with Klefbom”. Did they scout him badly? Offense from Klefbom? He looks anything but an offensive player, statistically speaking.

At pick #31 “I’ve always liked David’s play”…um, okay “We need to take a D, he’s fallen, but Musil looks good”. What’s this need to take a D business? That’s exactly the kind of draft loser logic that keeps a team in the basement indefinitely.

I understand that the unstated ambition of the Oil Change series is to help the fanbase tolerate a lengthy rebuild through the draft, but if they want to build through the draft, they have to be smart about it, or at least average, and the lottery picks should carry the rest. I’m not asking that they outsmart all the other management teams (like DET, BOS, and VAN seem to be able and don’t require 7 year rebuilds), just average.

We have to watch a last place team year after year, the reward for which is supposedly a team capable of challenging for the championship. Taking a player because of the position he plays instead of BPA is not what I was expecting to hear from a team trying to build through the draft..

Very discouraging.

Jordan: Hey LT.

can’t disagree, but that’s a matter of the owner finally getting sick of losing. I don’t have an answer about the date it will happen, but until there we’re left to ponder the roster.

I believe that adding a guy like Tikkanen solves one of three major problems with the roster. I believe it’s worth talking about. If you think it’s silly, I’m cool with that and understand your frustration over ownership’s not recognizing they are wasting years and dollars.

We wait.

46. doritogrande says:

I thought we had this Antti Tyrvannen (sp?) guy in OKC that might be a Tikannen kind of player. I haven’t really been keeping up with much of anything this year, so I’m wondering where he’s at?

47. DBO says:

Oilers twitter says Omark and peckham likely in, and Dubnyk to start. Hope Potter gets a seat, and Sutton plays with Peckham. Why get shultz to play him on the 3rd pair. Is renney that pissed off he won’t use the guy. Kind of reminds of “Moneyball” when the A’s manager refused to play Hatteberg at first base, and kept pushing the rookie Pena out there.

48. Master Lok says:

I loved Tikk. I used to play soccer with a big German guy who apparently was a friend of Esa and Jari’s and had t-shirt made with a picture of him, Esa, and jari together with the cup,… apparently in Jari’s backyard. (before the era of Photoshop).

Good read on SI article.

I don’t know about the next gen Tikkanen. Petrell might have the hitting and agitating nature, but not the talent. Can Anton Lander do the job? I recall Lander having some quotes that irritated the World Jr. Canadian team.

49. hunter1909 says:

ashley,

I’m just happy they chose Taylor Hall. Thinking about Seguin lollygagging it up in Edmonton, while Hall goes on to superstardom in Boston still makes my hair stand on end.

50. Traktor says:

Woodguy:

Renney looked upset when interviewed shortly after the trade was announced.

51. hunter1909 says:

LOL Renney has 16 games before his contract runs out.

I just realised why Belanger’s often out in the final minutes. He’s there to provide protection.

Traktor: I know, eh! He didn’t say he hated the trade but you could tell just by looking at his body language.

He was first off after the presser too.

Very bad juju.

53. cabbiesmacker says:

Off Topic LT but I think this is right down your alley. You seem to be a fan of unique voices.

Letterman is hilarious at the end.

cabbiesmacker: That was beautiful, thanks for passing it along. She’s lovely and what a voice!

55. cabbiesmacker says:

ashley:
    I just watched the latest Oil Change episode.The pro scouts usually make me cringe.This time the amateur dept had quotes like: “We need a D, so I’m thinking Klefbom” ,“We need offense, so let’s go with Klefbom”.Did they scout him badly?Offense from Klefbom?He looks anything but an offensive player, statistically speaking.

At pick #31 “I’ve always liked David’s play”…um, okay “We need to take a D, he’s fallen, but Musil looks good”.What’s this need to take a D business?That’s exactly the kind of draft loser logic that keeps a team in the basement indefinitely.

Ashley? Oilchange is such weak sauce. If the Oilers do one thing well it’s spin the hype…over nothing. Shows just how gullible and starved for hockey this town really is.

This years Flyers – Rangers 24/7 on HBO absolutely killed anything we’ve seen offered from the watered down and heavily edited schlock on Oilchange the past two years. Made me jealous to watch two coaches with some fire in their bellies and players who wanted to WIN.

If they dared film the Oilers dressing room between periods we’d see 20 players resting on their blankeys with juiceboxes and cookies in their hands. Perhaps a pan past the fingerpainting session. Renney and Bucky pretending to pore over a playbook but in behind would be a BP’s take out menu.

BUT….Lowe gets named asst GM of team Canada. Bloody amazing. Guys made of teflon I think.

56. cabbiesmacker says:

Thought you might like that after seeing you post some Nina Simone. I watched this last night with my jaw on the floor the same way Letterman’s was. Then I ran for a cold shower

“Lana Del Ray” is not exactly an authentic product.

However if one likes the taste of the food, and doesn’t care how it was fabricated…

godot10:
    “Lana Del Ray” is not exactly an authentic product.

I’m not sure what you’re saying. How was she fabricated?

59. cabbiesmacker says:

godot10:
    “Lana Del Ray” is not exactly an authentic product.

Care to explain? Sounded pretty decent “live” to me. Or are you just aping Brian Williams SNL critique Godot?

60. cabbiesmacker says:

Lowetide: I’m not sure what you’re saying. How was she fabricated?

Big deal. She sounded far better last night on Lettermanand BRIAN WILLIAMS IS A TOOL!

Godot can google. Woot!

cabbiesmacker: LT…she’s taking some heat cuz daddy’s very, VERY wealthy. Brian Williams went off on her very nervous January SNL performance because she’d only released a 2 track EP to date. That and she’s been a Youtube phenom for a while.

Godot can google. Woot!

Well, assuming she’s female I’m onboard as a fan.

62. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10,
    cabbiesmacker,

If you go over here:

and check the links on the right you’ll find every piece of “hate” (in the internet “hater” sense) possible levelled at this lady. Basically she writes pretty, tweenish songs about boys but changed her name, got lip injections and repackaged her tween look for an indie look and the pitchfork kids lost their mind…

btw nina is way better anyway.

and this is filthy:

63. whale says:

I have’ve seen who Omark is playing with. Anyone know?

64. Gerta Rauss says:

Brownlee has an article up on ON a couple hours ago-he just posted this:

According to Principe on Twitter, it looks like Omark is going to start on a line with Belanger and Petrell.

Might as well put a toe tag on his time with the Oilers if Renney intends on tying a couple of offensive boat anchors like that to Omark for any stretch of games

The thing that amazes me about the Omark situation is there’s no question he can play. This is a player who showed well last season and should have had an entire year in Edmonton to build on it. Its beyond crazy,

But we’ve known this was the case for awhile.

66. pboy says:

That kid has no hand-eye coordination.

67. Alice says:

So….. catching up to the thread here
    Lana > Petrell < Esa

Is that about where we're at?

68. DeadmanWaking says:

What I recall about Tikk is that he could get underneath his mark and disable traction control. You didn’t want to find yourself between Tikk and a hard place in a high stance. And he could play a strict role without going into a trance. “Well, if you’re going to hand me the puck, let me show you how it’s done.” “I @!#$!@#$ know how it’s done, you Ingarrulous Basterd!”

Loved that guy. But I think they broke the mould.

69. pboy says:

Nice convenient whistle for San Jose there. Oilers have the puck but the play is whistled dead because Pavelski fell into the boards.

Test

71. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    Test

Somethings up yes? I’ve had to enter my posts twice and the site doesn’t seem to be refreshing like it used to.

72. spoiler says:

I’ve decided that the Sportsnet “Key to the Game” is to pre-drink.

73. spoiler says:

But we’ve known this was the case for awhile.

spoiler: Omark’s problem has never been offense, it’s been the cheating for. How long do you put up with that crap from a player of that age?

Jones cheats worse, is older and gets lots of ice time.

75. bookje says:

I don’t know that I would wait till the end of the season to dump Renney – this Omark thing is annoying and could be costly.

76. hunter1909 says:

Only the oilers could spend 8 years, carefully developing(sic) and evaluating, only to end up with a backup goalie in Devan Dubnyk.

Eberle’s 10 second in goal LOL.

DUBNYK = NHL career backup. Just pay Khabibulin to play 30 games next season and ffs find a real NHL goalie to fill the the rest, before they end up with everyone but a competent, NHL goaltender which Dubnyk will never be.

FANS OF THE PERVERSE: Check behind the Sharks bench to see a fat woman, more(surprise here) interested in her giant sized food bag than the 1-1 game.

LT,

Having problems posting via Blackberry, site says it times out all the time.

Also,

Omark on 4th line?

Check.

Whitney and Potter together after shitty the bed for two games?

Check.

Sutton scratch while both Whitney and Potter play?

Check.

Gilbert’s replacement still playing 3rd pairing?

Check.

Renney lost me.

He might be afraid to play 15 on the right side against good comp. I dunno.

This coaching and management team are exhausting to observe work.

78. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Jones cheats worse, is older and gets lots of ice time.

Jones cheats too, agreed, but nowhere near as bad, can PK, and offers crease presence (when he desires to).

79. crude says:

Vandermeer playing right wing, scorin goals against the oilers – is this surprising?

WG: Weird. Sorry about that.

Oilers are fun to watch on the road now, at least moreso than they’ve been for quite some time. Still running around, letting in softies and sending errant passes up the middle (Gagner made a terrible play on the goal) but there’s a pulse.

Even on the road. These kids are going to be splendid.

81. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy,

Omark is even playing?

82. pboy says:

Good effort by 83 getting to the net. No penalty of course.

83. hunter1909 says:

Here’s a question for everyone: I have a can of Guinness in the fridge, should I go and get it?

Thank you for your cooperation.

84. spoiler says:

WG: Weird. Sorry about that.

Even on the road. These kids are going to be splendid.

Watching Eberle on Perry last game leads me to hope this road issue is going to change in our favour at some point.

85. ASkoreyko says:

I would not be that upset if they just left Jones in San Jose. I am sure with his hair he could get a job in a surf shop or something. Certainly better than having him play on the Oilers any further.

86. bookje says:

Setting: Dark with red colored sky, large boulders strewn about with painted mountain background.

Scene: Spock, Kirk, McCoy and Omark enter stage right with phasers drawn. Omark is wearing generic red security officer uniform.

87. SK Oiler Fan says:

Is Glencross Tik Light? Too bad the Oil never had a shot at him…..

88. hunter1909 says:

Eberle’s goal was sublime. Like great art is sublime.

89. SK Oiler Fan says:

Omark with the offense killers hey.
    Renney has lost me – setting up another player to fail
    Sure would have liked to see what Hitch could do with this team

90. spoiler says:

hunter1909:

Thank you for your cooperation.

You should probably just deliver that to my house. I’m feeling “iron-poor”.

Thank you for your cooperation.

What is with the “time out” warnings on the posts? Is that just me?

91. SK Oiler Fan says:

Love Tiks playoff stats:
    186GP – 72G – 60A – 132P – 275PIMS !!!

92. hunter1909 says:

Renney’s on a mission: to destroy the careers of as many Swedish prospects as possible before returning as host of the hit reality TV series CELEBRITY REHAB; under his other name DR DREW.

93. SK Oiler Fan says:

Tiks Pts / game
    Reg Season = .718
    Playoffs = .710

bookje:
    Setting: Dark with red coloredsky, large boulders strewn about with painted mountain background.

Scene: Spock, Kirk, McCoy and Omark enter stage right with phasers drawn.Omark is wearing generic red security officer uniform.

Beauty. Omark. He wouldn’t have lasted past the 20 minute mark on Star Trek.

95. SK Oiler Fan says:

What’s with this effin timeout thing ? Anybody have a fix?

96. Gerta Rauss says:

it’s not just you spoiler/woodguy-i haven’t been able to login for almost an hour
    i’m sure danny/LT are aware of the problem…i’m guessing when load is placed on the website(high volume of visits) the problems occur

97. hunter1909 says:

bookje:

That really set the scene well.

When does Renney show, wearing a coat made out of Magnus Pajaarvi? And a loincloth wearing Rob Schremp?

98. NOTB says:

Agree the Oilers are more fun to watch this year, but man playing out the rope is getting old. Does anyone still remember what meaningful March hockey feels like? Taking the kids to the Oil Kings game tomorrow to renew my faith.

99. bendelson says:

hunter1909,

Tom Renney doesn’t like Swedes? Ridiculous comment (I’m certain he likes Lundqvist).

Tom Renney doesn’t like Oiler Swedes? OK.

100. spoiler says:

bookje:

Kirk>My god. Man. Those boulders. They’re made of styrofoam!

Spock>Captain, I put the odds at 1 in 1.13 million. No space-travelling society has used styrofoam in over a millenia.

Omark>Starfleet would like us to bring something back, I’m gonna go take a look-see.

McCoy>Are you crazy, man? This is space. People die out here all the time.

Kirk>I swear to god. Spock. These look like. Styrofoam. Is this. Some kind. Of attempt. To. Imitate. Earth. Of the 1970s?

Spock>Sir, my tricorder confirms your suspicions. These boulders do appear to be some form of artifical hydrocarbon based product similar to your early Earth correlate you refer to as “Styrofoam”.

Omark>Holy starshit, hey guys, come take a look at this!

McCoy>My god, man, don’t!!!

A roar, and then Omark screams (O.S.).

McCoy and then Kirk and Spock run towards the scream but are too late and find nothing but Omark’s pile of ashes.

***

101. icing says:

Wow, Gilbert played over 27 minutes for the Wild tonight. Played the most of any player on the PK and 4 more minutes total than any of their other defensemen. -1 in a 7-1 loss. I know it’s early, but man why did we trade him?

102. NOTB says:

Spector with the funny pre-period comment, questioning Renney’s decision to use Omark on the fourth line: “like taking a BMW out for a test drive on a logging road”.

103. hunter1909 says:

spoiler: He cheats too much to offense. He lives and dies by it. I hope he’s learned and proves me wrong., but I have seen him play live and he cruises the blue line when the puck is behind our net way too much for my liking. The kid has skills. I don’t deny it. But he has to commit to a far more complete game.

I’m sure glad Tom Renney can take time off during a game, to post this on Lowetide.

104. Gret99zky says:

Somebody put some MATH into my IV because Horcoff looks like he sucks again.

Is there a worse Captain in the NHL?

105. spoiler says:

Mistakes can be more deadly than talent.

106. Kert says:

That was awful.
    Does that stuff happen to other NHL teams?

Thank god for Ryan Smyth.

107. spoiler says:

Petry’s first shot that shift was from closer than aby we’ve seen from either Brewer or Gilbert. He is all over the place.

108. crude says:

I think the guys on the sharks feed just claimed that Hall is the only player the oilers have ever drafted overall.

Well I’d give Omark another game and better linemates. And Hemsky is dreamy.

110. crude says:

ahem, first overall

111. Traktor says:

Having to listen to Quinn and Debrusk makes the game almost unwatchable. Its like having Ben Stein narrate a suspense movie.

I’m not sure who is in charge of hiring but the guys calling the game should be the last thing that a club in the entertainment business should be pinching pennies on.

112. hunter1909 says:

If Dubnyk stays on this team after giving up the worst goal since Conklin’s 2006 classic, like he just did to make it 2-1 Sharks, then they’re not expecting to win the cup until the new arena is built. That does it for Mister total loser forever goalie Devan.

113. hags9k says:

Omark is a player. What a wonderful move sending him down so we could watch 37 the red-headed Klopek all season. “Sardine, cracker?”

Renney just makes me scratch my head. I mean WTF

Petry!

114. bookje says:

Spoiler – nice follow through

Renney plays Omark on the 4th line when he gets called up.
    Renney plays Paajarvi on the 3rd line when he gets called up.
    Renney plays Cornet on the 2nd line when he get called up.
    Renney always plays Jones.

Krueger found Jones a nice place to sit in the press box.

Need one say more.

116. spoiler says:

Okay, let me ask Lowetiders this:

Who do you trust more in their own zone, Omark or Eberle? Omark or Gagner? Omark or the traded Cogliano? Yes the hardest thing to do in the NHL is scoring goals. But that’s not the end of the story. The actual hardest thing to do is scoring goals without being scored on.

Just ask Tikkanen.

117. Traktor says:

icing:

-4 in 5 games with zero points.

Oh Noes.

118. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Traktor,

I don’t mind Quinn… but he does have that kind of night radio voice that soothes you off to sleep while nursing conspiracy theorists.

119. DBO says:

Just got home. Omark on 4th line. Shultz on 3rd pairing. Does Renney or the org not want to win? If this is more of an evaluation to end the season why not see what Omark can do with actual offensive players. The lineup and in game decisions are starting to really worry me about Renney. Omark isn’t a kid, he can play in his own zone, and can hold his own. And he creates offensive chances, even with 2 pluggers.

120. Traktor says:

Gret99zky:
    Somebody put some MATH into my IV because Horcoff looks like he sucks again.

Is there a worse Captain in the NHL?

Nope.

Horcoff is the 3rd least valuable player in the NHL behind Redden and Gomez (I’m being generous since Redden plays in the AHL).

121. Jigger says:

A little late with this but I’m thinking the 4 vets who messed up that line change last night should have all been made an example of. It is sickening when they can get away with that kind of crap but the kids are held responsible for their actions by the coach. The worst culprit was Smyth (I know he’s the chosen one) who gave away the puck then changed. Nice job mentoring! If they are serious about this they would all be sitting tonight. That is just not caring.

Oh yeah and thanks for this great site LT. It’s the best by a long shot.

122. rich says:

Really can’t understand the criticism of Renney putting Omark w/Petrell. We all know Renney thinks Petrell looked good on the line w/Nuge and Eberle, so why wouldn’t he want to put Omark w/his latest offensive find and watch it crank out the goals like we were watching the early 70′s Boston Bruins.

We obviously have all underestimated Petrell’s offensive skills by not nodding at the genius of the coach in pairing him w/Omark.

123. Lois Lowe says:

We haven’t talked about Cogliano in a while, remarkable since we played Anaheim last night. He’s on course for the exact same season again.

124. NOTB says:

No penalties again this game… crazy. The Sharks work-over on Hemsky in the corner just prior to the Smyth goal should have not just drawn a penaly call, but in less liberal states than California would probably bring about staturory rape charges. Nice to see him fight through it though and contribute to a gritty come-back goal. Smyth again doing his work in the dirty areas. Will we see some Linus magic in the third… would be nice to see the kid score a game winner so people might start talking about him.

125. Lucinius says:

Personally, Spoiler, what I would do is use Omark (and Paajarvi) to try and create that mythical third scoring line the Oilers talk about but avoid like the plague.

Something along the lines of;

RNH — Hall — Hemsky
    Gagner — Smyth — Eberle
    Horcoff — Paajarvi — Omark
    Belanger/Lander — Eager/Petrell — Jones/Hartikainen

With the powrplays like this;

RNH — Hall — Hemsky — Smyth/Jones/Harti — Petry
    Gagner — Omark — Eberle — Paajarvi (point) — Whitney/Potter

And PKs of;

Horcoff — Smyth
    Belanger — Jones

And some combo of Paajarvi, Gagner, Eberle, Hall (you need those kids to get the ice time).

Something like that should solve most of the issues with our forward core (Horcoff/Smyth eating too much ice time and getting exhausted too early in the season), more ice time for the skilled kids, a third line capable of scoring and holding its own. Fourth line is a bit questionable.

Defense past Smid/Petry is a bit iffy if Whitney doesn’t get back to form and stay healthy, and even if a bit shallow (though I don’t think we can complain about Smid/Petry pairing at all).

Goaltending remains a black hole of despair.

Just my thoughts.

126. spoiler says:

Jesus. Eberle engages my eye so much, I watch him skate to the bench over watching the puck.

127. LMHF#1 says:

looks like Omark is doing okay despite the horrible spot in the order. that won’t stop people from complaining if he doesn’t get multiple points, but at least the people that know anything about hockey will see he did well.

spOILer: He really is something else. I was sitting talking to a client the other day and spent 5 minutes on how he changes his angle just before shooting. Fortunately the client is a good guy and a fan, but who rambles on about a guy like that?

129. Lucinius says:

Nice to see the refs give the Sharks a make up call because they had no choice but to call the Sharks for the delay of game..

130. Gret99zky says:

Somebody gimme some MATH.

Because #10 Oilers is a really, really , really bad hockey player.

131. Lucinius says:

So, wait.. the refs didn’t call Jones, but then decided to after the play was dead?

….

What a joke.

132. DBO says:

So Omark will get no more shifts this period then? Why bring him up if you won’t give him a chance. Bye bye Omark, we hardly knew ya

Gret99zky:
    Somebody gimme some MATH.

Because #10 Oilers is a really, really , really bad hockey player.

134. DBO says:

I know Willis has been doing the whole GM series, but should someone be doing the coach series? Cause I am not confident that Renney can be the one to lead the change

135. Lois Lowe says:

I am just confused about the penalty situation league wide. How did every team suddenly learn the rules (and how not to break them) overnight? Do Bettman/Shanahan really think that the fans won’t notice?

136. icing says:

Traktor,

You realize the Wild have 5 goals for and 24 against in the last 5 games right? -4 for one of their top minute eating defenseman I think could be considered a positive.

137. spoiler says:

That was a helluva skating move by Whitney there. Hope he didn’t pull a tarsal.

138. Lucinius says:

Lois Lowe; reminds me of a comment I caught by a Fox Sports commentator when I was flicking through games about a week ago. I forget the exact wording, but to paraphrase it boiled down to;

‘Its as if the league knows just how bad the refs have been the past few years and just told them to call nothing but no brainers’.

Wish I’d paid more attention to it or had been recording it. But the commentators in more and more games are remarking on the fact the refs have either put their whistles away or are calling some of the werdest stuff after letting general muggery and mayhem by.

139. spoiler says:

Well, 4v4 Gagner with Hall is right, IMHO.

140. spoiler says:

Eberle is like the Queen in chess. Inherent threat no matter where he is on the ice.

I think Whitney lost a bolt on that last shift. Maybe a washer too.

142. spoiler says:

That’s exactly what Gagner has to do to get goalies to buy his dekes.

143. Lucinius says:

Well, 2 points is 2 points. Annoyed Calgary won, though.

144. Jigger says:

This is why reading the MSM stuff is useless. @SUN_TYCHKOWSKI: Overtime in an 8:30 start with 11:15 deadline. This is why I drink

145. Captain Obvious says:

If Omark is such a bad defensive player how come the Oilers don’t allow more shots when he is on the ice?

146. striatic says:

i should be happy, but what a pathetic display from the sharks in the shootout. practically passing the puck to Dubnyk, 3 times in a row.

147. LMHF#1 says:

No Omark in the SO? Eff you Renney.

148. "Steve Smith" says:

LMHF#1:
    No Omark in the SO? Eff you Renney.

Do we know who the Oilers’ third shooter was? If we do, I missed it.

149. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic,

I was listening to the sj game. sounds like they all got the 5-hole scouting report on Dubs and never auto-corrected when Dubs made the saves.

150. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”,

hemsky. sj game listed the shooters

151. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LMHF#1,

Renney is coaching Omark under a cloud of disappointed left over from that blown shootout early in the season.

152. spoiler says:

LMHF#1:
    No Omark in the SO? Eff you Renney.

Where were you when Shinebox was looking for a job?

153. Traktor says:

icing:
    Traktor,

You realize the Wild have 5 goals for and 24 against in the last 5 games right?

Fletcher is obviously a genius.

154. Captain Obvious says:

To follow up, last season the Oilers allowed 26.1 shots/60 while Omark was on the ice. This was second best on the team (behind Reddox). Now Omark also played the second softest competition and the shots against tracks the level of competition pretty closely (except for Ryan Jones who allowed a lot of shots against weak competition). But then this is evidence that defensive play for wingers is a relatively marginal part of what wingers contribute since they don’t make a very dramatic impact.

Omark is a quality NHL player. He isn’t anywhere near as good as Hall and Eberle but he still contributes more than he gives up. This cannot be said about guys like Petrell or Eager. You shouldn’t have to be better than Taylor Fucking Hall in order to contribute to the team.

Renney is a tool. He iced two fourth lines tonight.

155. LMHF#1 says:

“Steve Smith”: Do we know who the Oilers’ third shooter was?If we do, I missed it.

SJ feed had them listed. Hemsky.

156. Traktor says:

Captain Obvious:

Almost as good as Reddox? What a talent.

Note: I actually like Omark.

157. spoiler says:

Captain Obvious:
    To follow up, last season the Oilers allowed 26.1 shots/60 while Omark was on the ice.This was second best on the team (behind Reddox).Now Omark also played the second softest competition and the shots against tracks the level of competition pretty closely (except for Ryan Jones who allowed a lot of shots against weak competition).But then this is evidence that defensive play for wingers is a relatively marginal part of what wingers contribute since they don’t make a very dramatic impact.

Omark is a quality NHL player.He isn’t anywhere near as good as Hall and Eberle but he still contributes more than he gives up.This cannot be said about guys like Petrell or Eager.You shouldn’t have to be better than Taylor Fucking Hall in order to contribute to the team.

Renney is a tool.He iced two fourth lines tonight.

Sorry, forgot what Reddox is doing again; remind me, please.

158. "Steve Smith" says:

Traktor,

If only the Captain had addressed exactly that point in his post.

If only…

159. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

even so .. coming in with no speed. no lateral movement. go five hole fine but do *something* to make the giant goalie mis-time his positioning. or disguise your release a little.

160. LMHF#1 says:

spoiler: Where were you when Shinebox was looking for a job?

I’m guessing most around here know my opinions on Mr. Schremp. Doing okay for Modo this year it seems. He’s a different than Omark in their partially developed stages though.

I’m wondering though spoil, considering the views on the world you put out there in this comment section, how does watching and commenting on professional hockey tie in consistently? Just curious.

161. gogliano says:

Projected points going into the MTL-EDM tilt:

clb 60.9
    edm 72.1
    mon 73.4
    car 79.5
    nyi 80.8
    Tom Gilbert 80.8

162. Traktor says:

spoiler: Sorry, forgot what Reddox is doing again; remind me, please.

He is 13 points behind Rob Schremp in the SEL.

163. Traktor says:

gogliano:
    Projected points going into the MTL-EDM tilt:

clb 60.9
    edm 72.1
    mon 73.4
    car 79.5
    nyi 80.8
    Tom Gilbert 80.8

Montreal is going to be tough to stop but I think Edmonton will take Murray and he should be available at 3.

164. bookje says:

Lowetide: Renney’s off the rails, I don’t think you can blame Horcoff. The lines and their rotation tonight suggest something other than reasonable.

I expect to see Smid at left wing any day now. #Renneysnotgoinganywhere

165. Beaker says:

bookje,

Left wing? Goaltender for sure. He blocks more shots than our goalies do anyways.

166. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: You want the new Tikkannen? Magnus Pajaarvi, except if Tom Renney’s back next season.

Dubnyk’s just a horrible goalie. Too big and clumsy, you literally can see his oafish movements that guarantee many many big goals against.

Seriously, “Dubnyk’s starting” in a Stanley Cup Finals series?

Khabibulin has, in Kevin Lowe parlance given us fans much mirth and the occasional entertaining goalie performance over the last 3 seasons. Devan Dubnyk NEVER entertains, unless it’s for tank fans when he blows easy(for everyone else) goals.

Hunter: well MP can skate and does have some nice things away from the puck, but I don’t think he’ll ever agitate like Tikk and Paajarvi’s scoring isn’t at Esa’s level either jmo.