G68 Oilers at Avalanche

The Edmonton Oilers will begin draft day 2012 with a long list of needs. The top of the NHL entry draft this season is an interesting combination of highly skilled Russian forwards, quality defensemen from the CHL and some Swedish kids thrown in for good measure.

Brad McPherson (Blue Bullet) has been kind enough to gift this blog with his draft rankings over the years. Brad’s lists and insights are appreciated and it gives us a unique and trusted source as we begin to more closely examine this year’s draft. Here’s BB’s top 20 currently:

1 YAKUPOV, NAILSARNIA OHL 5\’ 10.5″ 189 LW
15 KOEKKOEK, SLATER PETERBOROUGH OHL 6\’ 2.0″ 184 D
16 POULIOT, DERRICK PORTLAND WHL 5\’ 11.25″ 186 D
17 MAATTA, OLLI LONDON OHL 6\’ 1.5″ 202 D
18 GAUNCE, BRENDAN BELLEVILLE OHL 6\’ 2.0″ 215 C
19 GIRGENSONS, ZEMGUS DUBUQUE USHL 6\’ 1.5″ 198 C
20 ABERG, PONTUS DJURGARDEN SWEDEN 5\’ 11.0″ 194 LW

In the interests of full disclosure, this list was sent to me a couple of weeks ago and he may have tweaked it a little. As he’ll be a guest on this week’s Nation Radio I’ll make sure to ask him about any changes. BB has the Russians on top and then three defensemen from the WHL before Forsberg checks in for the Swedes at number 6. Trouba is an interesting name at #7 and then it’s Galchenyuk and Reinhart to round out the top 9.

NHLE’s suggest the following:

1. Yakupov 82, 19-22-41
  2. Grigorenko 82, 16-18-34
  3. Galchenyuk 82, 11-19-30

I didn’t include Forbserg because he isn’t playing in the SEL and I don’t have an NHLE for the league he’s in at this time. Taylor Hall (17-29-46) would be ahead of this group and RNH (11-27-38) would be just shy of Nail in their draft year NHLE’s.

DEFENSE

1. Reilly 82, 4-21-25*
  2. Ceci 82, 6-17-23
  3. Dumba 82, 7-13-20
  4. Murray 82, 6-12-18
  5. Reinhart 82, 5-10-15

Reilly’s numbers come from a very small sample size so we should be a little suspicious although as BB indicates he’s a very highly rated prospect. Ceci shines via NHLE and it’s interesting to see how close Dumba and Murray are by this metric (lots of talk about Dumba being far superior). Reilly and Ceci are in Dougie Hamilton territory.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Nation Radio hits the airwaves today at noon on Team 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Brad McPherson–Blue Bullet–and we’ll talk about his list above and which players he sees as being good value this summer.
  • Jeff Krushell–Krush Health Show–is a wonderful resource on all kinds of matters. We’ll talk about Ales Hemsky’s injury, recovery time and long term impact. Plus–since he’s a baseball nut too–we’ll talk some Blue Jays and Nationals.
  • Jonathan Willis–always an interesting read–and I’ll ask about his recent article on Dustin Penner and we’ll discuess Edmonton’s roster and management decisions this summer.
  • Kent Wilson–another outstanding writer and observer of the game–will touch base in regard to the Flames and their playoff run, what NHL teams look for when procuring winning players and if we have time discuss the value of EV save percentage as a measuring stick.
  • Jeff Angus from Canucks Army. We’ll talk about the Canucks trade deadline moves, this Tanev kid and I’ll ask Jeff if the Canucks are a better team this year than they were one year ago.

168 Responses to "G68 Oilers at Avalanche"

1. hunter1909 says:

They should play afternoon games more, like baseball.

Battle of the rookies today, RNH against that Avs guy I can’t spell his name so it’s “that Avs guy”.

I’m pretty apathetic re the draft unless they win the lottery. Hard to get worked up about players I know nothing about, especially when they’re Russian.

It would sure be cool if they got rid of Dubnyk for next year. He’s NEVER going to be any kind of an NHL starter – he’s simply too slow, and clumsy when reacting and isn’y even capable of handing the puck under pressure, ala Ty Conklin in 2006 game 1 of the final series against the Hurricanes.

I hope they keep Tambellini, and replace Renney. Tambo has done little wrong, unless you think Tom Gilbert is an excellent NHL dman. But what about his rookie season, when he scored more points than Paul Coffey in HIS rookie season?

I also think the team overall is way better than last year. The powerplay is one of the best in the NHL – when was the last time that was true with the Oilers? Plus the Kid Line is sensational, and remind me very much of the dynasty oilers.

2. Bar_Qu says:

I hope they keep Tambellini, and replace Renney. Tambo has done little wrong

The problem with Toonces is he has done little right at the NHL level. Slow to act and destructive to a good D-corps. Oh, and 3 last or nearly last place finishes on his resume.

Kick him to the curb.

I hope RNH gets 4 pts tonight to take rookie scoring lead and holds it like grim death until the Calder is handed to him.

3. Dipstick says:

“There’s a game today. The Edmonton Oilers are a team in the National Hockey League.”

4. russ99 says:

I’d be disappointed if we pick for need now over need in a few years with all the defensemen prospects bubbling up in the next 1-2 years.

IMO, if Grigorenko is there when we pick, we pretty much have to take him.

Ideally, the Oilers would then make a move to get a second first rounder and pick another defenseman prospect, and also improve that area in FA.

5. Bos8 says:

I fail to see all the angst for D. The Oilers have three top two/top three D. Klefbom is either ready this fall or at worst a year away. Marincin is one to two years away and more of a developmental risk. What is required is an orderly transition for the kids. The upgrade needs to be made over the mess that is the 5/6. Kids are brought up and thrown in with the klutzes at the bottom end. But this bringing in two top four D is totally over the top. What needs attention is the bottom pairing and a change of style.

I would suggest that the problem is in the coaching. They are not putting their players in the best positon to succeed. A player like Peckham is in a situation above his mental ability to function properly.

An article at Cult of Hockey that is a real eye opener.

———————————————-

I didn’t understand why the Oil had such a terrible time covering in our own end until Minnesota media interviewed Tom Gilbert about the biggest adjustment he had to make moving to the Wild. Gilbert said it was the change from man-to-man to defensive zone coverage.

Defensive zone coverage — taught in minor hockey and practiced by more defensive-minded teams from minor to NHL (or teams with less talent who need more regimented style re. Oilers)– takes a lot of the thinking out of the game. It’s much more forgiving if mistakes are made or lower hockey IQ players are involved.

6. Zack says:

Without a doubt Nail is going to be first from there it’s tough to say. I’d be hesitant to rank Grigorenko as high as he is with his ethic being in question. I heard from multiple sources now, a scout and multiple fans how sometimes he can play uninterested, with no jump or desire. He has the skill no doubt but if the character is in question already, yikes. Personally I’d take a run on Galchenyuk over Grig depending how his knee heals/skating looks in playoffs.

As for D, I’d still take Murray over Dumba.

7. "Steve Smith" says:

Bos8:
    I fail to see all the angst for D.The Oilers have three top two/top three D.

8. Bos8 says:

Oh, and by the way – In the few games I’ve seen of Schultz, I’m a big fan. As I’ve stated before, I’m a fan of quiet, efficient D. What I’ve seen of Schultz that’s exactly what he plays. Lord, spare me from exciting hockey, that’s for the offensive end.

I’ve always admired a proffesional at work. Any professional – It looks easy until you try it.

9. Zack says:

Zack:

As for D, I’d still take Murray over Dumba.

What I said about Grig scratch that. I didn’t think critically enough about the comments or resources, I guess when you about the negatives it sticks out like a sore thumb. Whoever ends up with Grig or Galchenyuk will be lucky. Where ever we land I trust Stu and team will pick the right guy.

It would be nice adding a high calibre d prospect to the mix but I don’t think you can pass up drafting a center with a ceiling as high as first line.

10. Ducey says:

Interesting to see Dumba as the top D . Wouldn’t want to be his D partner. The pair is almost certain to be called Dumb and Dumba. Reinhart at 9 seems low. He is going to go higher based on his size alone.

If I was GM I would seriously look at trading down from 2 or 3 to 8 or 9 and pick up another second rounder. I bet LT would trade down to 16 to get that Pouliot kid :-)

MPS with an assist and a clutch shoot out goal. 15 pts in 19 games. If he can stay on a roll and have good playoffs he will be developing more than hanging out in Edmonton and playing third line minutes.

Ducey:
    Interesting to see Dumba as the top D .Wouldn’t want to be his D partner.The pair is almost certain to be called Dumb and Dumba.Reinhart at 9 seems low.He is going to go higher based on his size alone.

MPS with an assist and a clutch shoot out goal.15 pts in 19 games.If he can stay on a roll and have good playoffs he will be developing more than hanging out in Edmonton and playing third line minutes.

lol. No, I’d go:

1. Nail
    2. Murray
    3. Grigorenko
    4. Forsberg
    5. Reinhart
    6. Reilly
    7. Galchenyuk
    8. Dumba

12. Bos8 says:

“Steve Smith”: It’s very impressive when you manage to relegate “Our defense is fine, because our prospects are definitely going to turn out” to the second stupidest thing in a post.

Oh good. A stupid post – Well it’s been worse.

Let’s bring in two top four D. And at that point, the Oilers D are eight deep. And the kids get to marinate in the minors for x years. I’m suggesting a system to bring the kids in seamlessly. At this point Klefbom and Marincin look to head the list. It seems foolish to draft talent and then put them on hold.

Klefbom is playig top minutes in the SEL on one of the top teams. It’s not as if he’s still in Juniors. Other young D have come from the Swedish League and succeeded. Klefbom played with Brodin and was assigned the defensive role. If I’m not mistaken the SEL only has one assist per goal which skews the numbers especially for defencemen.

13. steveb12344 says:

Bos8,

I agree too. I said it here yesterday, but i think they needed a Schultz, more than a Gilbert moving forward.

Schultz has looked strong in his own end, and by my eye at least, has shown the ability to make a breakout pass, and has shown a little more offence than advertised.

Gilbert on the other hand: some of you have been acting like we just gave up a young Paul Coffey or something.

On the offensive side, if Gagner has stagnated since his rookie year, than Gilbert has regressed.

For a guy holding the position of top offensive d-man on his team, his numbers are quite frankly dreadful imo.

Defensively, While he has shown improvement, he is still soft, a giveaway machine, and at best average in this league. Basically a jack of all d-man trades, but a master of none.

If you look at it from a perspective of what role they play for thier team, and how effective they are at it. Then i say Gilbert is at best average in the important role he plays, while Schultz is strong and effective in his role.

Maybe the team realized this and felt they could shore up that defensive role ( which really needed it)
    while leaving room to improve on Gilbert’s best off. d-man position. Either with Petry or whatever they can do in the summer.

14. TheOtherJohn says:

Bos8

15. Bos8 says:

Seems to me like the Draft D are a total crapshoot. Scary stuff.

16. TheOtherJohn says:

Ducey is this a test to see if Lowe has any longterm memory?? If so, I would absolutely love to see it play out again. ST can have one of those “creative gems” himself. Too bad the NHL is not like the NFL where the drop off fron 21st to 35th is minimal. Course in fairness missing Parise hurt (but we do not have to deal with his impending FA, thank God!!) its that we also missed out on Getzlaf, Perry, Burns, Richards, Erickson, Kesler and Bergeron also. Was our pro scouting department doing amatuer drafting for us in 03?

Altho as LT says: Pouliot is a distance runner and it may be that he is just getting started :-)

The idea of adding 2 top 4 D is so that it pushes everyone down to easier minutes instead of getting eaten alive playing at level they cannot handle. As to whether we then have 8 or 9 D men. Do not care, we currently have 6-7 guys capable of bottom pairing minutes. Trade them, release then or send them to minors

I’m still in Pouliot’s corner. He’s going to Vyborny all you fucks! :-)

18. Dalton says:

NO MORE UNDER SIX FOOT PICKS

19. TheOtherJohn says:

Mile 18 and we all know that a marathon is 26.2 miles: Poo is just hitting his stride!!!!

Ask Krush about liklihood of Whitney coming back from multiple surgeries on his ankles

20. Bos8 says:

TheOtherJohn: Steve Smith with an early Saturday morning kick to the junk! Answering calls from your clients into wee hours of the night? gotta love it!!Bos8 Not quite sure the ……..”D prospects are ready to jump in shortly” is that easy to predict or project. Smid was a highly rated prospect (in fact higher rated than any of the current Oiler D prospects) and he took a very long time develop sufficiently to play tough minutes…. a mere 6 years So lets half that with whichever one of the D prospects you select, thats 3 years to play toughs. Some will take longer a la …..Plante, Tuebert…… so the D is a long ways off

I’ve maintained for years that the Smid long development term was mostly due to the clusterf..k that was the OIlers management. He had to learn on his own. I would dearly love if the Oilers signed another Schultz as the training wheels on young D and no, Sutton is not one of them.

It isn’t like if a kid spends x years in the minors that he will spring fully developed into the NHL. There are growing pains when he gets there. The Oilers have a time frame, they either use it or lose it. Either they make a big leap in the standings or they will start losing talent in the offensive end.

I’m suggesting that the Oilers bring Klefbom into training camp and take a good hard look at him. If his talent outweighs the minuses then he should make the team to expedite the learning curve. Put him with someone like Schultz and let him develop.

21. Dalton says:

TheOtherJohn: As to whether we then have 8 or 9 D men. Do not care, we currently have 6-7 guys capable of bottom pairing minutes. Trade them, release then or send them to minors

100% agree. As decision making goes, I’m much quicker to filter out D I don’t like than F I don’t like. F can get into a three-season-long groove. THESE bottom pairing D work-hards / prospects have a ceiling of bottom pairing.

Make moves to transmorgrify 4-6 didn’t-make-it players on the bottom pairing D into 1-2 NHL players bottom pairing D. Let the trade partner figure out what they want to do with the extras.

22. lazerguidedmelody says:

Dipstick:

The Oilers, your ECHL champions, 2013/14

23. Bos8 says:

It’s great that the kids will get the easier minutes. The question becomes who do they get the easier minutes with. A Sutton, Barker or a Peckham does not make for easy minutes.

24. regwald says:

LT,

For one of your upcoming shows, can you kick in the Memorial Cup fever around town with a WHL expert ? The Oil Kings are now tied for first overall in the WHL and they look like a well built team. Top end D coming out of the seams it appears.

They are 2nd overall with GF (18 less than Portland) and have the 2nd best GA in the Dub (Tri-city has allowed 2 less goals).

I think there is a decent chance of this team taking a run at the Dub title. The question is do they have enough playoff experience or the right leadership or coaching to take them on a playoff run ?

25. speeds says:

Bos8: Oh good.A stupid post – Well it’s been worse.

Let’s bring in two top four D.And at that point, the Oilers D are eight deep. And the kids get to marinate in the minors for x years.I’m suggesting a system to bring the kids in seamlessly. At this point Klefbom and Marincin look to head the list.It seems foolish to draft talent and then put them on hold.

Klefbom is playig top minutes in the SEL on one of the top teams.It’s not as if he’s still in Juniors.Other young D have come from the Swedish League and succeeded.Klefbom played with Brodin and was assigned the defensive role.If I’m not mistaken the SEL only has one assist per goal which skews the numbers especially for defencemen.

Even if it’s true that the Oilers would have too much depth (if that’s even possible, or a problem) in the short term, how does that mean the Oilers wouldn’t be able to bring in younger D seemlessly?

Whitney, Smid, and Sutton are UFA’s after next season, Schultz and Potter after 2014. Sutton may well be a one year stop gap, so he’d open a roster spot for a young D for the 2013/14 season, seems like a reasonable timeline. And as for the other 4, are the Oilers going to be able, or even want to, retain all 4 heading to UFA? Probably more likely not to be able to keep them all, if you want them all, than not.

If anything, it would seem like good proactive management to acquire some depth in case you aren’t able to resign more than 2 of those guys, and if indeed you are able to resign them all, well, you have depth or pieces to trade provided you don’t sign them to unmovable contracts.

26. Dipstick says:

Bos8: I’ve maintained for years that the Smid long development term was mostly due to the clusterf..k that was the OIlers management.He had to learn on his own.I would dearly love if the Oilers signed another Schultz as the training wheels on young D and no, Sutton is not one of them.

It isn’t like if a kid spends x years in the minors that he will spring fully developed into the NHL.There are growing pains when he gets there.The Oilers have a time frame, they either use it or lose it.Either they make a big leap in the standings or they will start losing talent in the offensive end.

I’m suggesting that the Oilers bring Klefbom into training camp and take a good hard look at him.If his talent outweighs the minuses then he should make the team to expedite the learning curve.Put him with someone like Schultz and let him develop.

27. Traktor says:

Dumba is a beast in the WHL but I wonder if he can play the same game at the NHL level. He is tougher than Brule but he plays that same cannonball style that Brule played and he might be hit with a dose of reality once he makes the NHL.

I like Murray more.

28. Traktor says:

rickibear had a post a few weeks ago that looked at every defensemen that was named “Top WJC defensemen” and every single one played in the NHL the following year. I don’t remember how many years he tracked (I think he was more than 5) but I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect Klefbom in the NHL sooner rather than later.

29. speeds says:

LT, can you ask Blue Bullet specifically about Dumba and Galchenyuk.

With Dumba, my concerns are:

-what are his passing abilities and hockeysense like?
    -players that play a rambunctious physical game are generally, IMO, overrated, is there any concern that may be the case with Dumba?

Galchenyuk:

How do you judge this player, and how much weight do you give to his performance if/when he comes back this year? If he were #3 on EDM’s list, and EDM picks 3rd, would his injury issues scare you off, or too soon to tell?

As for his style, from what I’ve read he sounds like a rich man’s Lander, is that a fair description?

30. Bos8 says:

Okay, maybe I didn’t explain myself too well. Right now I feel that Smid is the MVP on this team. Now that sounds silly with all the high powered talent up front. What Smid and now Schultz do is allow Petry to become Petry, before – Gilbert to become Gilbert. Smid was the common denominator. Defense is a two man unit that should work within a system, including forwards. If the forwards go blasting up the ice as soon as a D has control of the puck, things break down. Mentoring is more than just being the old guy. You want the old guy to show you short cuts and how to do a quality job as well as to have your back when you screw up.

Nelson in OKC had just as many problems with D as the OIlers did. Every callup affected his team and he managed it seamlessly. It’s not as if he had a slough of top end talent. A farm team of the Oilers with the best goals against in the League is in the nature of a miracle. Nobody mentions that. Obviously he had to cheat some on offense but he’s getting it done. What are the odds that he uses zone defense?

31. Ribs says:

Klefbom is playing top minutes? Is this true? Just wondering.

32. Bos8 says:

Dipstick: Wherever Klefblom plays, he will need some mentoring. I suggest that it might be better for that to occur in the AHL. Bringing Peckham up too soon has not worked. He has not got enough playing time to work out his problems and has now played too many games to be waiver exempt. All of the D prospects should be developed in the AHL. The Barons will need good D mentors as much as the Oilers will.

I would agree with you if there was an older version of Schultz in OKC. Now maybe Helmer is that player, I don’t know. I agree that Peckham was ruined but the fault lies with the coaching. Taking runs at players and putting yourself out of play is curable by playing time. QFT

Who the hell is going to mentor Klefbom in OKC, Plante, Teubert? I don’t know the coaching in OKC. Obviously they are doing a hell of a job which is more than I can say for the Oilers coaching staff.

33. cabbiesmacker says:

Going to be a real interesting draft day if the Oilers stay in the #2 spot. First chance to actually show some first round prospecting skill in a long, long time. No #1 security blanket that a Stevie Wonder / Helen Keller scout tandem wouldn’t take.

I say they don’t have the balls to take a Ruskie or trade down a couple of spots and the binoculars don’t focus well beyond the WHL. I’ll be blown away if they actually do trade down but if the added asset coming back is a 2nd rounder or worse I’ll be nodding my head saying “figgered so.”

You’ve got a chance to add a “player”, maybe a good young goalie buried on his present team, on top of a 4 – 8 pick and the D you so dearly covet and it saves you sweating bullets over taking / passing on Grigorenko.

Maybe passing on Grigorenko for a Dkid and watching the big C rookie it up ala RNH or Landeskog while your D prospect puts up 35 in the Dub and Gagner puts up 47 in the bigs will be enough to force some badly needed changes.

34. cabbiesmacker says:

Bos8:

Who the hell is going to mentor Klefbom in OKC,Plante, Teubert?

Taylor Fedun?

I don’t know the coaching in OKC.Obviously they are doing a hell of a job which is more than I can say for the Oilers coaching staff.

Nice fellas and if all goes according to plan it’s Swagtime baby.

35. Yeti says:

Ribs: Klefbom is playing top minutes? Is this true? Just wondering.

36. Bos8 says:

Ribs: Klefbom is playing top minutes? Is this true? Just wondering.

There is a thread on HF boards titled, what else, Klefbom. He is not playing the PP but I’ve seen the following

Some quotes

—————————————

Lost 2-3 in SO at home.
    16.58, 1 shot wide, -1.

Won 3-2 away.
    Klefa played 16.53. 1 shot on goal and 1 wide.
    1 hit and -1.

He and Brodin just played a 3 v 5 and did that very very good.

————————————–
    And so on. In context, he was #8 coming into the season on a very strong D corps and was healthy scratch at times and not getting very much ice time when he played. The team is not trying to develop him for the future, He is earning his minutes.

Now this is a fan talking about his play so possibly some hyperbole but the minutes speak for themselves.

37. Bos8 says:

Yeti: Everything I’ve read says that he’s playing limited minutes in Sweden, not top minutes at all. Here’s what C&B said recently: “Klefbom’s ice time with Farjestad has increased to 13:09 per game this season, so it’s at least moving up, but that’s still not very much (just eighth most among the team’s defenders).”He’s also scoring poorly given his much touted ‘offensive instincts’. If he’s ready to even start contributing in three years, that would be great. Even Steve Tambellini said that it will be three years before those defensive prospects are ready to come on line (warts and all). So to count on them beforehand is real pie in the sky stuff.

Obviously getting different information. Anyway, enough. Half empty/half full stuff. I don’t know where the 13 minutes came from. I tend to believe the guy posting after each game. He must get his info from someplace. I doubt he’s sitting there with a stop watch.

02/04
    Won 3-0 against the leaders.

Klefa played 20.01. Beast! 2 shots on goal.
    He has now outplayed Brodin 5 or 6 games in a row when it comes to icetime.

Now a 10 day break.
    ————
    02/16
    Lost 0-1 away. 37 shots. Right back were we use to be.

Klefbom played 17.31. -1. 6 shots on goal.
    New game tonight at home.

38. regwald says:

Traktor:

Not sure what rickibear posted, but I posted this link after hearing something on TSN of how the all-star dmen from the World Jrs end up playing in the NHL within 12-18 mths.

World Jr Allstars

go back down the list for the past 7-8 years and you see a nice trend.

39. Dipstick says:

In my opinion, it takes a lot of minutes to develop a Defenceman. That is why I think it best that the D prospects play meaningful minutes in junior and then the minors with good mentorship. Klefblom will especially need good mentorship since he will be experiencing the most change of any of them. Expecting the D prospects to be effective at the NHL level in the next two years is wishful thinking.

40. Ribs says:

Thanks, guys.

41. Yeti says:

Bos8,

42. Bos8 says:

Yeti: Bos8, Bos, I’d love for Klefbom to be a stud in the NHL in 18 months time. I just think that realistically, three years is what he’ll need to be able to hold his own in the NHL. He may play earlier, but it might be painful to watch for a while.This means that, if we are expecting any degree of success for the next three years, we need to fill out a worthwhile defence from sources other than the prospect pool. Schultz is fine, but Whitney now looks like a pale imitation of a top-four D. Realistically you’d want someone to slot in right at the top of that pile to push everyone else down to a level where they might be able to drive results a little. If this doesn’t happen I’m very worried we will suck again next year and I’m really sick of that.

I think we’re all ill after that Montreal (game).

I was just tired of that doom and gloom thing.

I just don’t think that there is a formula bringing young players in. To me playing 17 to 20 minutes, (not on the PP), as a 19 year old in a league at least equivalent to the AHL it’s not a reach that he might be ready as early as next year, at most, maybe a year later. Moving from healthy scratch to the minutes he now plays is significant on a professional team without an agenda other than to win.

OEK/Phoenix, Larsson/NJ, Karlsson/Ottawa are all 21 and under.

43. hunter1909 says:

Krueger really started putting things together.

Then Renney comes back and the team resumes falling to pieces, and blowing.

it wouldn’t be hard to allow the Kids to develop, since they’re hockey geniuses who don’t really need coaching much. The Swedes on the other hand are collectively getting screwed = fucked up prospects = wasting everyone’s time.

Dumba might turn into the greatest, but all I can imagine is another undersized hard case ending up like Gilbert Brule. Runty little players, they get on my nerves.

44. rich says:

Nice to see Khabibulin in goal. Says the team has made a decision on DD that he’s not the man moving forward and that since they are close enough to “Fail for Nail” they’re going to go for it.

45. regwald says:

rich:
    Nice to see Khabibulin in goal.Says the team has made a decision on DD that he’s not the man moving forward and that since they are close enough to “Fail for Nail” they’re going to go for it.

actually, Tencer tweeted that DD has a sore groin and so is not starting as a result. He will be able to start Monday.

Ducey:
    I

It is a horribly bad idea to trade out of the top three in any draft. Move down one spot or two if the guys are really equal, okay. But not five.

You pay your scouts to be able to differentiate between top 3 and top 10.

MacGregor did that last year, leaving a really good defenseman and safer pick on the board in Larsson, and two safer forwards in Landeskog and Couturerie, and taking Nugent-Hopkins.

One expects him to do the reverse also, and to not be afraid of taking a defenseman over a forward in the top 3.

47. rich says:

@Regwald: Maybe DD spoke in Swedish to his coach and that’s how he “tweaked” his groin?

Not saying that DD makes a difference, but it’s consistent w/Renney’s lack of trust in his young goalie.

48. hunter1909 says:

Wot a terrible hockey game.

Although I can clearly understand all of the MacT/Lowe nostalgia, it’s really just based on the fact the odd couple were able to cobble together enough grinder-centric types to make it constantly better than this rebuild appears standings-wise.

I’d love to see Grier, Moreau, and Gator levelling everyone, while the Kids do their thing. Would be a entertaining(and winning) team.

Offseason wish list: Renney kicked upstairs somewhere, Dubnyk traded for a 2nd round pick to anyone crazy enough to do the trade, Tambellini’s on record NHL defence tandem, and Barry Trotz lured away from Nashville for the largest dollar contract in NHL coaching history.

49. Kert says:

Well, there’s one. Three more coming.

50. regwald says:

rich,

It does puzzle me as well. If you need to figure out whether DD is a back up or starter, why is Khabi getting so many starts ?? I like DD and think he’s better than probably most posters. But, how is the team going to decide if they don’t play him ?

51. spoiler says:

Their 4th line scores on our 2nd. JHFC.

52. regwald says:

Looks like Linus is heading back to OKC now after not covering his man there on that goal … :(

53. Lucinius says:

Petry and Smid, for some reason, really struggled to move that puck around on the plays leading up to that goal against.

54. fuzzy muppet says:

regwald:
    rich,

Some of us (i’m included) have seen enough of DD to know he’s NOT an NHL starting goaltender.
    He’s going to be 26 at season’s end. If you aren’t established by then, you aren’t going to be.

They need 2 Goalers this offseason.

55. fuzzy muppet says:

Ryan Whiney simply can’t skate anymore.

If they are relying on him next year, expect another bottom feeder.

56. Kert says:

Whitney just got pylon’d by a 47 year old Hejduk. Yikes.

57. spoiler says:

fuzzy muppet He’s going to be 26 at season’s end.If you aren’t established by then, you aren’t going to be.

So your argument is based on a categorical statement contradicted by the evidence of keepers like Thomas and Roloson?

I’m not convinced Dubnyk is a starter, but I’m also not convinced he isn’t.

And if he isn’t a starter that doesn’t mean he isn’t a back up, so leaping to “they need two goalers” stretches logic too.

58. rich says:

@ Fuzzy Muppet

DD upside seems to say career back-up. He’s got some technical/mechanical issues that are not improving. You could make an argument for keeping him next season if you’re willing to kiss off Khabibulin and find a legit #1.

Until then, I say you play Khabibulin as much as possible because he’s going to give you every chance to lose. DD might actually give you a chance to win at this point and that’s obviously not what the rest of this season is about anymore.

59. fuzzy muppet says:

spoiler,

There are exceptions to everything, But have you seriously seen anything from DD to think he can carry a team to the playoffs? he lets in a softie nearly every game.

Maybe saying they need 2 goalies was a bit harsh, but I wouldn’t be against it.

60. jake70 says:

When did Barker start wearing #6?

61. cabbiesmacker says:

ST should tell Hemsky and Gagner it’s two weeks to the trade deadline

62. bendelson says:

fuzzy muppet,

As Woodguy summarized well the other day, DD has fine if not impressive 5×5 numbers for 2 years running. He struggled 4×5 last season which I believe can be partially attributed to last seasons dismal PK (Khabis numbers were significantly below DD 4×5). Which brings us to this season 4×5 – this is the disappointment with DD. The numbers seem to show a step back in this regard when we would expect a future number 1 to show improvement. The rest of his game is fairly solid I would suggest.

Before commanding he is NOT an NHL starter, I’d be inclined to wait until he plays on a team that can compete. Yes, the soft goals are a concern but goaltending is a largely mental game and DD has never received the benefit of playing behind a quality team… EVER! as far as I can tell (lived in Kamloops during the DD era and the Blazers sucked!).

I would certainly like to see Khabi replaced with a descent starter next season, with DD continuing to play 20-30 games… When (if) the team DOES improve, DD could easily be right there with them.

63. cabbiesmacker says:

godot10: It is a horribly bad idea to trade out of the top three in any draft.Move down one spot or two if the guys are really equal, okay.But not five.

Not if you’re D hunting and there are 4-5 prospects with little to distinguish them from each other. You think Murray or Dumba are heads above Reinhart and Trouba I guess.

If dropping down gets you a player and a good prospect it absolutely makes sense.

64. fuzzy muppet says:

bendelson:
    fuzzy muppet,

As Woodguy summarized well the other day, DD has fine if not impressive 5×5 numbers for 2 years running.He struggled 4×5 last season which I believe can be partially attributed to last seasons dismal PK (Khabis numbers were significantly below DD 4×5).Which brings us to this season 4×5 – this is the disappointment with DD.The numbers seem to show a step back in this regard when we would expect a future number 1 to show improvement.The rest of his game is fairly solid I would suggest.

Before commanding he is NOT an NHL starter, I’d be inclined to wait until he plays on a team that can compete.Yes, the soft goals are a concern but goaltending is a largely mental game and DD has never received the benefit of playing behind a quality team… EVER! as far as I can tell (lived in Kamloops during the DD era and the Blazers sucked!).

I would certainly like to see Khabi replaced with a descent starter next season, with DD continuing to play 20-30 games…When (if) the team DOES improve, DD could easily be right there with them.

Dont get me wrong, I want him to succeed. But ,if the Goaltending situation is the same next year, last place will be calling again.

65. spoiler says:

If there are exceptions why make a categorical statement precluding exceptions? Why use it as a basis for what follows?

And I’ve already stated what I seriously think: he doesn’t have me convinced one way or the other.

The odds are against him at this point in his career to be a starter, but he appears serviceable at this level as a backup.

Once his groin heals, we will see more of him.

ReKhab is getting playing time because the Oil would like to trade him.

Jesus Omark.

66. Kert says:

23 looks like a useful piece to me.

Well, to the untrained eye that might appear to be true, but the learned expert will tell you that Omark’s inability to “run their show” makes him a dangerous and bad man.

68. McSorely Head says:

Sideburns and no eye glow.

69. spoiler says:

Wow, Alberta just stole 4. That should just about do it there.

70. spoiler says:

That should be a goal for puck’s sakes.

71. fuzzy muppet says:

Another stellar call by the idiot official

72. Rebilled says:

spoiler,

for fucks sake

73. McSorely Head says:

Even the Avs broadcasters couldn’t see why that was no goal.

74. Smarmy says:

My goodness that was an atrocious call. Who’d pay for this product…

75. Lucinius says:

God damn refs….

How that was disallowed I’ll never understand.

76. hunter1909 says:

oilers could use a goalie like Varlamov, who’s really good. Dubnyk blows and Khabibulin has no shelf life.

Tambellini’s going to lose his job next year if he can’t fix this mess.

77. bendelson says:

Another wildly inconsistent call from the officials.

78. McSorely Head says:

It was Omark’s hit that sprung that break which resulted in the non-goal.

79. Smarmy says:

Oh well Fail for Nail.

80. bendelson says:

hunter1909,

Given what Colorado paid, it would cost us next years first round pick…

81. jake70 says:

Not Hall’s best game……

82. spoiler says:

Screwed for Nail.

83. fuzzy muppet says:

Fucking devorski blows another call.

84. Smarmy says:

bendelson:
    hunter1909,

Given what Colorado paid, it would cost us next years first round pick…

And he isn’t any better then Khabibulin at this point in time.

85. fuzzy muppet says:

jake70,

Agreed. He’s made a lot of bad plays with the puck this game.

86. McSorely Head says:

Again, Avs broadcasters acknowledged it was a lucky break, admirably balanced.

87. Rebilled says:

The Oilers talked back. Quick whistle on that puck. I can’t believe dirty Campbell still has his job.

88. Rebilled says:

3-2!

89. fuzzy muppet says:

They deserved that one…

90. spoiler says:

Take that one back, refs.

91. McSorely Head says:

Hallsy!

92. pboy says:

Great second effort by Hall. 3-2!

93. jake70 says:

No sooner did I say his game was lacking today, and he pots one, very nice one as well.

94. McSorely Head says:

Whitney giveaway from behind the net?

95. Rebilled says:

Now they check the video? This league is amateur hours for rules sometimes.

96. fuzzy muppet says:

That was a terrible icing by Petry. Nearly cost them the game

97. McSorely Head says:

slow whistle that time.

98. McSorely Head says:

Nice one Smyffy

99. Rebilled says:

that bearded fan = fighting after the game, blackout later.

100. McSorely Head says:

that was good.

101. Kert says:

Entertaining (2nd) last place hockey.

102. DeadmanWaking says:

Dipstick: We can thank the fact that we don’t do that crazy European Football thing……Relegation.

We do have relegation. We’ve been relegated Hall and Nugent. Didn’t quite have the nerve to pull off the DFL threepeat. Think they rang up Howson and either called in a favour or bent him over a barrel.

Two DFLs is a nice feather. Three DFLs not so much. You just end up hording potential you can’t afford to keep. Plus it starts to look bad. I think the perfect dump and pump is back-to-back black marbles.

103. Smarmy says:

Bulin beat clean glove side twice. Terrible.

104. McSorely Head says:

I wonder how Khabi ranks for shootouts. Last?

105. spoiler says:

Not sure how Khabeeb got a game star over Hemsky, who had a helluva game.

Wow, another dead Canadian skier. What a tragic year for the team. RiP Nick Zoricic.

Hemsky was awful. showing off with his supposed speed and puck handling, and general fanciness.

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

you almost have to feel bad for the guys ripping on Hemsky… the cognitive dissonance must make life difficult

108. Traktor says:

No points. -1

I blame Ron Lowe.

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Traktor,

Are you trying to say he had a bad game… if so, I can only assume you didn’t watch it.

110. Traktor says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    you almost have to feel bad for the guys ripping on Hemsky…

111. spoiler says:

LT

I’m kind of surprised BB has Dumba so high. I think he will be the biggest slider of the draft.

I am not liking this draft class at all. The top end on the D prospects doesn’t look like it’s there (although Rielly being out so long hasn’t helped).

I’d be real tempted to make a trade.

112. Traktor says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Traktor,

113. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler:
    LT

I don’t know how much stock you put in Button’s list. but he’s had him higher than all the other lists I’ve seen for months. currently has him at 2 and Grig at 7:

114. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Traktor: I don’t care enough to feel sorry for internet fan boys but if I did then I would feel sorry for you.

thanks for taking me literality. good job interneting.

Traktor: He played fine. If I didn’t watch the game and only read the comments I would’ve thought he scored 8 points.

So, you didn’t watch… what other insights can you share concerning things you don’t know about?

spoiler:
    LT

I am not liking this draft class at all.The top end on the D prospects doesn’t look like it’s there (although Rielly being out so long hasn’t helped).

I’d be real tempted to make a trade.

I can’t see the Oilers taking a chaos defender. I think they take Murray or Reinhart.

116. hunter1909 says:

Tambellini drives many here crazy with his inaction. Because he doesn’t trade draft picks, I like him.

Brian Burke keeps the Leafs fans occupied with his bigtime trades, that lose Toronto Seguin +

Dean Lombardi has basically traded away half the assets of their post 2006 tank, and the team looks totally disfunctional.

Six Cups Kevin Lowe wouldn’t be able to sit still when there are deals, even bad ones to be made. His zany Irishness, combined with the Tantacle’s like experience of 2006 has quite possibly driven him over the cliff.

Today’s oilers looked disinterested for the most part, because like everyone else knows they haven’t got much left to play for, except the odd stat and avoiding injury for next season.

Do I think the Kids are getting discouraged? Of course they are, but that’s the kind of thing that will drive them all that much more next season.

Somewhere in the morass of this 2011-12 season it dawned on me, that the management are perfectly content to tank until so many players emerge that they will have no trouble filling a few holes, then going on to glory – or, this is what I believe.

And as everyone knows, a person has to believe in something.

117. Romulus Apotheosis says:

missed the “if.” sorry for being a douche above…

118. Traktor says:

hunter1909:
    Tambellini drives many here crazy with his inaction.

I don’t think the kids look discouraged. Look at Hall’s reaction on the 2-2 goal. He looks like he just scored the OT winner in game 7 of the SCF.

As for your other point, I don’t think Katz cares about winning a couple extra games. His endgame is the new arena and all it is going to take is one winning season for 99% of Oiler fans to forget about the losing ones.

Katz is doing what is best for the franchise even if most Oiler fans don’t know it.

119. Traktor says:

Romulus Apotheosis: missed the “if.” sorry for being a douche above…

Its all good.

120. spoiler says:

Hunter, I have to agree with Traktor. This did not look like a discouraged, disinterested team to me today.

121. knighttown says:

Remember the year of the Cup run when the Oilers ran the three headed goalie monster who were so terrible it very nearly cost what turned out to be an excellent hockey team a spot in the playoffs? Of course, Roloson stabalized things enough to sneak in and then the pixie dust started working.

I’m not saying this is a Cup contender in 29th place clothing but I am saying this squad is being absolutely fucked by bottom pairing defense. Almost everyone else is holding their own but these ass-clowns can’t keep a clean sheet when their only job is to play the dregs and not cost the team the game.

Over the past few weeks Gilbert, Smid, Petry, Schultz and Sutton are a combined +5 over the 8 games. Considering the matchups they face and that there were only 2 wins in that stretch, that’s good hockey.

In that same 8 games, Peckham, Whitney, Potter and Barker are a combined -16. And that doesn’t even count Peckham’s glorious unofficial -2 from the penalty box the other night.

The kids giveth and kids taketh away. Hemsky and Gagner are a little less productive but also don’t bleed as much and I’d wager Horc and Smyth are up a few over that stretch. Even Belanger and Petrell have formed the core of a soul-suckingly boring (but at least not leaky) 4th line.

The Oilers just canNOT get a clean game from their bottom 2 or 3 in simple matchups and it’s killing them.

122. knighttown says:

I kind of see Smid and Petry in the role of the Missus and I while Whitney and Potter are my 5-year old and 2-year old respectively. We start each day with the best intentions of getting ahead of the mess. I’ll get the dishwasher emptied and she gets a load of laundry in but in that 10 minutes we aren’t around there’s a glass of milk smashed on the floor and a box of wipes jamming the toilet. We show great teamwork and poise in getting that mess fixed up but almost instantly we’ve got a bookcase crashing down in someone’s bedroom and an unauthorized rectal exam on the Airedale Terrier. By the end of the game she’s in tears and I’m drinking shots of Lemon Gin mixed with Sour Puss cause it’s all I can find but somehow Barbaro makes a great stretch pass to Hall, renewing hope and we come out the next day sure it will be better.

I wonder if Ladi’s too tired for sex too?

123. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Does Milbury have a sunburn… or is that blow-hard redface? looks like he fell asleep in a tanning bed.

knighttown:
    I kind of see Smid and Petry in the role of the Missus and I while Whitney and Potter are my 5-year old and 2-year old respectively.We start each day with the best intentions of getting ahead of the mess.I’ll get the dishwasher emptied and she gets a load of laundry in but in that 10 minutes we aren’t around there’s a glass of milk smashed on the floor and a box of wipes jamming the toilet.We show great teamwork and poise in getting that mess fixed up but almost instantly we’ve got a bookcase crashing down in someone’s bedroom and an unauthorized rectal exam on the Airedale Terrier.By the end of the game she’s in tears and I’m drinking shots of Lemon Gin mixed with Sour Puss cause it’s all I can find but somehow Barbaro makes a great stretch pass to Hall, renewing hope and we come out the next day sure it will be better.

I wonder if Ladi’s too tired for sex too?

THIs is the last 6 years of being an oiler fan.

125. DSF says:

Lowetide: THIs is the last 6 years of being an oiler fan.

7 coming right up!

The common denominator?

Kevin Lowe.

Yes, Kevin, it IS you.

126. DSF says:

M.A. Pouliot with his 3rd assist of the season.

Don’t give up LT!

127. DSF says:

And #4!

DSF: I will never give up on Pouliot. He’s STILL better than some of the comics on the Oilers.

129. hunter1909 says:

spoiler:

Which in my mind, is mega cool.

The 2012 Oilers – THE NUMBER ONE POWERPLAY IN THE NHL

I cannot express words which satisfy the reality that is this team is trending upward in a direction which eventually spells OILERS 6th cup win…

yada yada yada the defence stinks, the goalie situation is more of a predicament, etc etc.

The reality is: Taylor Hall is, in the words of Denis Potvin “a bull”. Heady praise from one of the best NHLers of all time. Eberle is basically a genius, Mike Bossy 2.0, and RNH is going to break out in the next 2-3 years like Halley’s Comet.

Next season is already a write off. I wish it wasn’t, and truthfully I wish this pathos riddled team could get into the playoffs…but sadly, we’re all in for yet one more season of total and absolute shite….then even Katz will want to sack Tambellini, forget about MacT fanboys he’s not returning as either GM or coach, it’s just ain’t ever going to happen. Jesus H Christ wtf is it with that “reformed” drunk driver that makes so many posters salivate?…Oh yes…2006….2006…

130. hunter1909 says:

M.A. Pouliot? You’re insane, matey.

131. hunter1909 says:

Taylor Hall is going to return the Cup to Edmonton. Does anyone care to argue this with me?

132. Bos8 says:

A sliver of light in the gloom.

Magnus 1 + 1 through 2 1/2

Reider 2 + 2 – moving closer to top ten

133. Henry says:

knighttown,

I think Ladi smells too much to take the role of the Missus.

134. DSF says:

hunter1909:

135. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909:

I certainly don’t, though it’s not because I agree with you.

hunter1909: M.A. Pouliot? You’re insane, matey.

If Pouliot was on this roster, he wouldn’t be the 14F.

137. hunter1909 says:

DSF: Yes.

Then you need to fuck off. Find a real team, lol. I on the other hand KNOW oilers with Hall are guaranteed a cup win.

138. hunter1909 says:

“Steve Smith”,

I’m drunk. I don’t understand intelligence at the best of times.

139. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: If Pouliot was on this roster, he wouldn’t be the 14F.

Poor M.A. Great prospect, left to wither and die on the vine. Let go, LT.

140. hunter1909 says:

i saw the dynasty win 5 cups.

Like Katz, I believe it’s possible to win a few more.

141. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909:
    “Steve Smith”,

I’m drunk. I don’t understand intelligence at the best of times.

Like I said, it’s not because I agree with you.

Though if we get a GM who can do his job like Taylor Hall can do his, a couple of Cup wins would not be out of the question.

142. Ducey says:

Lowetide: If Pouliot was on this roster, he wouldn’t be the 14F.

15th?

MPS with a goal and an assist today.

143. DSF says:

hunter1909:
    “Steve Smith”,

I don’t understand intelligence at the best of times.

Especially when looking in a mirror.

At the current rate of progress, Hall will be an old man when the Oilers next win a cup.

Put your cash on STL.

144. Bos8 says:

Attendance at the OK game -16,650. Good on the kids’ support

145. regwald says:

Yakupov got creamed tonight …

Yakupov Hit

from Elliot Friedman on twitter.

Mike Halmo, who hit Yakupov, has 158 PIM, but is also 5th in OHL scoring. He was signed by NYI to entry-level contract on Saturday.

146. regwald says:

Bos8:
    Attendance at the OK game -16,650.Good on the kids’ support

The Oilers gave out free tickets to members of the Season Ticket Registry which inflated that number.

147. cabbiesmacker says:

regwald:
    Yakupov got creamed tonight …

Now referred to as Nailed Yakupov. Dirty hit.

148. regwald says:

cabbiesmacker,

nicely done … Nailed Yakupov it is … or was …

149. oilersfan says:

some thoughts on Grigorenko:

His high ankle sprain at the WJHC really hurt him. Before the tourney he had 58 points in 36 games. He came back three weeks later and has been playing at 80% according to him since, as he is trying to help secure a first place berth for the Remparts…

Since the WJHC he has only 26 points in 20 games. 1.3 pts per game compared to 1.6 before. on a 68 game schedule he was on pace for 110 points. with missing games for the tourney , plus injury then playing 20 games with an injury has really hurt his stats as he looks to end the season around 85 points in 58 games.

would have been nice to see him play 68, get 110 points and 50 goals, it would have made him seem like a legit 1a center with RNH , making Ganger expendable for a 2 pairing d.

As is, it is hard to say how he will do. 85 points is pretty underwhelming for a 2nd overall pick.

It will be interesting to see how he does in the playoffs, assuming his ankle gets back to 95% or so.

Marincin didn’t dress tonight. Any Pats fans here can say why? Weal didn’t either. Are both injured?

150. Gret99zky says:

30th is getting more and more a possibility.

Will the GM and Coach survive 30, 30 , 30?

151. Schitzo says:

DSF:
    Smarmy: I call BS. You don’t know anybody.

But I have a radio.

Actually I have several radios.

I realize I’m a day late posting this reply, but I wanted to mention that I thought DSF handled this response with a remarkable amount of grace and good nature. The contrarian act drives me nuts sometimes, but flat out being called a liar was over the line. A great response to a situation that could have been a reflexive “fuck you too”.

No matter how often we (likely meaning the rest of the commentors combined) butt heads over something DSF posts, I think DSF falls into the category of “pretty solid guy”.

152. Ducey says:

Art, time to get back on the meds there buddy

153. Bos8 says:

Contrarian, my ass

The guy that comes to piss in your cornflakes is a douche or is it a prick.

Being bright illuminates the situation.

Weasels even if “pretty solid guys” are still ankle biters

154. Smarmy says:

Schitzo: I realize I’m a day late posting this reply, but I wanted to mention that I thought DSF handled this response with a remarkable amount of grace and good nature.The contrarian act drives me nuts sometimes, but flat out being called a liar was over the line.A great response to a situation that could have been a reflexive “fuck you too”.

Counter point. “Mactavish isn’t going anywhere.”

Interviews through TV in the radio don’t mean jack. There has been enough talk in WHL circles the past few years that while Don Hay would be choosy he would take an NHL coaching gig, but whatever.

I mean contrarian is one thing but when the majority of your posts are just box car updates of players the Oilers should have taken or Oiler players that are not performing or an update of whatever team he is decided is the soup de jour at the time. (Last year LA, earlier this year Florida, and now St. Louis) it’s all just low info white noise and there is so much of it that the comment sections get dominated by people replying to him and the more interesting stuff get’s drowned out.

I’m not all that on board with the math angle for hockey but I don’t dismiss it out of hand or want to jump on those that do find worth in it. I admit I don’t have much to add so I don’t post much but I still enjoy the LT blog. I was hoping that when he moved the site over he would have more tools to improve the comments section but there are still days where the comments get unreadable (predicatable)

155. Smarmy says:

One more thing to add. We’re fans of one of the worst teams in North Amercian professional sports. There isn’t much positive talk to have regarding the Edmonton Oilers but I don’t need some guy whose made it a point to seek out the corners of the web where people talk Edmonton Oilers and make sure they’re aware of just how bad the team is. I mean have mercy.

156. jake70 says:

For those of us in the “nation” wanting no part of gaining points and losing control over draft position, Montreal playing nice, now 5 points up ( Oil with game in hand however). The Islanders will have to smarten up a bit and start winning.

Renney in the paper today:

“I think we have to be careful that we don’t kid ourselves,” said Renney. “We’re out of the playoffs for a reason and one of those reasons is inconsistency with our intensity and desperation and urgency that, quite honestly, we can play with.”

And here I thought the main reason they were out of the playoffs was too many shitty players.

158. jake70 says:

Let me clarify above, love gaining points, just not positions in standings, until next season.

159. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jake70:
    For those of us in the “nation”wanting no part of gaining points and losing control over draft position, Montreal playing nice, now 5 points up ( Oil with game in hand however).The Islanders will have to smarten up a bit and start winning.

Unfortunately, we got a point and CBJ lost, but Yak got hurt too…. so maybe it’s all destiny of some kind.

160. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Smarmy,

Someone at ON profiled DSF awhile ago:

comment 8. I’d be interested to hear DSF’s response. I think the last line goes too far (that’s why I won’t reproduce it), but the profile of calmness, rigidity, hobby-horses etc. seems to fit.

161. spoiler says:

Woodguy:
    Renney in the paper today:

Where did Renney say that was the main reason? Nowhere I can see.

162. TheOtherJohn says:

Hate to have missed the GDT but early afternoon games just seem wrong. Plus had to listen to Blue Bullet and “Young Willis” on Nation Radio. Is there a more prolific sporter writer anywhere than Willis? Seems like every 20 minutes he has another well thought out article out somewhere

Oiler fans have such an incredible passion for their team. It is quite unique for a team with our, ahem, startling lack of success.. I typically get to Phoenix for a break over the winter. Try to take in Phx Suns games and the odd Coyote game. The Suns have been a strong team in the NBA and tickets have been reasonably tough to get. You can get them but usually at a premium. This year they have a team that struggles, albeit with the incomparable Steve Nash, and are (currently) just out of the playoffs. In years gone by packed building. This year there were 1000-1500 empty seats for the Dallas Mavericks and 2000-2500 empty seats last night for the Memphis Grizzlies. The Suns play exciting basketball and yet are nowhere near selling out their building.

The Oilers are gawdawful, albeit with exciting young guns, and yet have sold that rink out for the last 4 years. Serious kudos to Oiler fans for their unwavering support of this team!!

I eagerly await an Oiler team that has a skill set that matches the Oiler fans passion and commitment. Hopefully with Marc Antoine Pouliot on it so LT does not have to keep lamenting the prize of the 03 draft that got away :-)

163. spoiler says:

I think LT’s household must have sprung back, lol. He usually has two articles written and up before I can finish my eggs.

164. Traktor says:

spoiler: Where did Renney say that was the main reason?Nowhere I can see.

Urgency and intensity are not real because they cannot be measured by math.

165. Smarmy says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Smarmy,

Someone at ON profiled DSF awhile ago:

I agree with that guy in that I pretty much know what his posts will be before he makes them. I also agree that the attention he gets embiggens (I know this isn’t a real word) him and really drags the comment section of this site down.

He’s a scab picking poster. Lurks and waits for someone to make posts that are not as thought out as they need to be. If he gets called out too much he disappears.

My interests in hockey is still grounded to junior I like talking to people involved in the league and I know DSF has no idea about what Don Hay does or doesn’t want. I don’t really know either but I’ve talked to enough people that I can say I have a better idea then what all his radios tell him.

But hey if the 5% of his posts that are actually decent make you overlook the other 95% then I guess you go hog wild with that.

spoiler:

lol. We have a dog now, so she takes some of my time. My wife and kids wanted a dog and my input was it had to be an actual dog and not a kleenex box.

SO, I walk the Shihtzu-Pom puppy weekend mornings. Cutest dog I’ve ever seen,.

spoiler: Where did Renney say that was the main reason?Nowhere I can see.

I guess you missed the comedy part of my post.

The intention was light hearted.

Mostly.

168. spoiler says:

Woodguy: I guess you missed the comedy part of my post.

The intention was light hearted.

Mostly.

Sorry bro, missed the broken-rib laugh.

But you were right (as was Renney), that’s definitely one of the reasons. More shitty players than a team normally has. The broken nature of Ryan Whitney has been especially crippling. Can’t tell if he’s hesistant or if it is the ankle. He says his foot is fine, but what’s he gonna say?