G70 Blue Jackets at Oilers

Tonight could be a modern incarnation of the “Fog Bowl” as the NHL’s two laggardly teams fumble and sway. It’s the dim bulbs versus the addled ones, ladies and gentlemen, with a promise of a better tomorrow sometime next week. We’ve seen this movie before.

Providing the Oilers have a genuine interest in competing for a playoff spot in 12-13, the summer should see multiple additions of NHL players. However, even if they devote all of their energy to turning this ragtag group into something useful, there’s no guarantee they’ll be able to improve more than the Ohio players.

The truth about the Oilers? They have splendid young talent learning how to lose and a bunch of veterans who can’t hold back the water on account of the organization’s attempt to develop rookies by the 6-pak. That’s why Renney’s so frustrated. This job SHOULD be a golden one for an NHL coach, but he’s got to get to the other side. Right now he’s in a paddle boat out on the ocean. Has he made enough mistakes to merit the handshake? Probably.

He shouldn’t be the only one.

159 Responses to "G70 Blue Jackets at Oilers"

The Oiler narrative is starting to turn in the MSM outside of Edmonton.

DSF linked to a Cam Cole piece in the National Post that contained this gem of a paragraph:

Even the blindly faithful know that the Oilers should be better than this, if only management hadn’t thrown so much good money after bad and, instead, had brought in players who could have been a passable supporting cast by now.

Driving into work this morning Jamie Thomas of Sportsnet was talking about how Tambellini hasn’t brought in a good supporting cast and that Khabibulin is a boat anchor. He also questioned why the coach plays him so much when he’s been terrible since Dec. Good questions.

Its funny, a lot of us who asked “Why trust the re-build to the guy who gave Khabby a 4 year freaking contract” were loudly derided that we didn’t understand that you really need to suck to re-build.

Now that golden kids are getting restless with losing and the holes on D and G and actual NHLer outside the top two lines are getting press, there is pressure to do something to improve the team outside of drafting.

Finally.

Tambellini and Renney being without contracts makes the situation even more compelling.

Word is that both EDM and CBJ are putting their lottery picks on the market. Not too surprising, both teams need help now, not 3 years from now.

The top picks all have warts. Nail now has a history of knee problems and concussions. The later being a huge concern as the evidence mounts that concussion problems don’t really go away, but build over time when a person is subject to repeated blows to the head.

Grigarenko has consistency issues. Russians with no “heart” are anathema to many teams.
    Galenchyk hasn’t played a game this year.
    Dumba plays a game that when played in the NHL needs 2 more inches and 30 more lbs to work. Not that its impossible to do. PK Subban is only 6’0″, but he’s much thicker than Dumba and was at the same age as Dumba by most reports.

The draft will be very interesting.

I wonder if v4.0 will be there?

Oilers should win tonight.

With all the talk of not playing hard enough, they should come out with a good effort.

I wonder if Renney goes to DD after a loss?

I see no reason to play Khabby for the rest of the year other than to give DD a rest.

Renney may think differently if he’s coaching for a contract, but given that DD is .910 since Dec 1 and Khabby is .892 since Dec 1, he should be thinking differently.

If he does go with Khabby because he’s a “trusted vet”, maybe its just another reason to change the coach because he can’t see what’s right in front of him.

Oilers win 4-3

Gagner and Hemsky break out of slumps. Eberle and Potter score on the PP.

Go Oilers!!

*clap,clap*

2. Ben says:

I’m praying that’s the reason for the delay. Maybe ST is still being ASSESSED.

I know intelligence doesn’t all come down to communication skills, but the thing about all of these guys – Tambellini, Lowe, even Katz – they just don’t come across as being all that smart.

Stauffer’s last interview with MacT made it seem clear that they both knew he wouldn’t be back with the Wolves. If he returned in any capacity, well…I have more confidence in him than the other three combined.

3. pboy says:

The saddest part of that sentence is that it’s absolutely true. Sam Gagner hasn’t played on a decent team since he’s been in the NHL. He’s in his 5th season and he hasn’t played in a meaningful game yet. The same can be said for Hall, MPS, Eberle and Nuge.

Until our owner wakes from his slumber and realizes that the 80′s are over and it’s time to modernize, these kids will continue to play for the worst organization in the NHL. Until they demand trades out of here.

I’m going to the game tonight and hoping to see a hat trick from Hall. The kid’s been on fire lately and I think he might be ready to go supernova.

4. neojanus says:

This game is going to be freaking magical: two titans poised for historic infamy in an era searching for heroes.

I have my game day list complete:
    1 vat of absinthe
    1 package of wasabi
    3 gerbils
    1 1967 March issue of Playboy featuring Fran Gerard and Nancy Chamberlain
    1 Darth Maul costume
    1 tube of emu oil
    1 Three-Disc copy of Wagner’s Lohengrin CD
    1 bucket of ylang ylang
    and
    (of course)
    my Oilers Jersey

Gonna be great.

5. nathan says:

“Word is that both EDM and CBJ are putting their lottery picks on the market”

You can count on the MSM for that meme and every other GM will be very happy to help source that rumour. Rarely happens.

6. sliderule says:

Hartski called up.Ok played last night so doubt he will dress.

7. Captain Obvious says:

The good news is that the turn in the media indicates that the Oilers have no choice but to try and field a winning team next year. The bad news is that as the Sabres and Jackets demonstrated this year this can end in disaster.

So while I very much think that next year is the year for the Oilers given the right moves, the wrong moves could close the window before it even starts.

For instance:

Trading the first round pick + Omark + Musil to Phoenix for Ekman-Larson would be awesome.
    Trading the first round pick to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa would lead me to a pit of despair.

Signing Ryan Suter to a 7 year/49M contract would be exciting but a little scary.
    Signing Matt Carle to a 10 year/$50M contract would only be scary.

Signing Matt Carle to a 5 year/25 M contract would be exciting but a little scary.
    Signing Dennis Wideman to a 5year/25M contract would be sad.

You get the idea. I’d like to be optimistic but trading Gilbert away for a bottom pairing defensemen makes me think that Kevin Bieksa or his ilk is coming our way.

8. spoiler says:

I agree with everything there LT except for this line:

They have splendid young talent learning how to lose

Which belongs next to the cupboard where “fiery glow” and “clutch performance” are hidden.

Now if that was learning to hate the org because of all the losses, or yet to learn how to consistently win games, I could get behind it, but learning to lose?

9. knighttown says:

My two watch items:

Nick Schultz
    Coming off 17.5 minutes of ice against the Sharks ahead of only Sutton. Continues to post solid offense and a +/- of zero in this one. Again, this watch item isn’t to slam Nick Schultz. I’m trying to help justify why the team would trade their #1 defenseman in terms of TOI for a guy who seems to be their #5. If they like him as a #5 why trade for him at that cost. if they like him as a Top 3 (and there are signs that he is good enough) why in fuck aren’t they playing him?

Clean slates
    The guys in white hats (77, 58, 5, 15 and 25) have been +5 since the Calgary blowout. The guys in black hats (13, 6, 24, 44) have been -16. Black hats and white hats both posted +1′s against the Sharks so kudos…a clean slate for that crew. Can they do it twice in a row?

10. Clay says:

I’m hoping for a 3 point night for RNH. I think there’s still enough track left for him to win the Calder, but he needs to heat up RFN. Landeskog is sure making a strong case for himself.

If you haven’t already, watch the Tambo interview video on the Oilers’ website from two days ago. Very alarming. When asked if they would draft the best player available or for team need, he says something like “we have enough depth in the organization now that we would be comfortable drafting for positional need”. He also restates how comfortable Edmonton is building through the draft (as opposed to free agency). Ugh. Video here.

@WG – I missed when Dithers got the promotion to v4.0. Was it the Hemsky signing? Shouldn’t the Gilbert trade offset that?

11. knighttown says:

Also continuing to watch this insane anomaly that has the four Atlantic teams ranked 1-4 in the East and the four Central teams ranked 1,3,4,5 in the West. These are good teams especially considering how much they beat up on each other. On the other hand Florida is close to being the worst team (-25 goal differential) to win their division in a generation and in return they get a #3 seed. How long will Gary continue to screw the hockey hotbeds in an effort to prop up the teams in the South?

If you’re New Jersey do you throw a few games to avoid the Pens in round 1 and get to take on the Panthers? Considering how badly that franchise needs a series win after a pretty disappointing decade I might consider it.

nathan:
    “Word is that both EDM and CBJ are putting their lottery picks on the market”

You can count on the MSM for that meme and every other GM will be very happyto help source that rumour. Rarely happens.

I’d set the line that one of CBJ and EDM trades their pick at -140

Clay,

Yes. I said once he dealt with 27 and 83 he’s be 4.0, for better or for worse.

Also,

I wonder if 55′s back spasms are attitude spasms. He was one of the guys mentioned in the last game with the shit talk on the bench.

So 56 and 23 on roster. Its almost like it was supposed to be in Oct!

Clay: They’re taking Ryan Murray. The only way they don’t: win the lottery OR Griffin Reinhart becomes more physical between now and the end of the Oil King playoff run. I believe the Oilers are satisifed they have their impact forwards and now are looking for something between Chris Phillips and Chris Pronger to complete the chain of impact kids who can grow together.

14. DSF says:

knighttown:
    Also continuing to watch this insane anomaly that has the four Atlantic teams ranked 1-4 in the East and the four Central teams ranked 1,3,4,5 in the West.These are good teams especially considering how much they beat up on each other.On the other hand Florida is close to being the worst team (-25 goal differential) to win their division in a generation and in return they get a #3 seed.How long will Gary continue to screw the hockey hotbeds in an effort to prop up the teams in the South?

If you’re New Jersey do you throw a few games to avoid the Pens in round 1 and get to take on the Panthers?Considering how badly that franchise needs a series win after a pretty disappointing decade I might consider it.

Florida is only 4 points back of Dallas with the Panthers having a game in hand so it’s pretty hard to suggest the East is more of a disaster.

Given goal differential, it’s likely Washington grabs the 3rd seed in the east with the Panthers falling to 8th in which case they now have more points than San Jose who currently occupy 8th in the west.

15. nathan says:

Woodguy,

Is your line just for trading for big assets? or does it include trading down a few spots? The latter is always possible with 2 Russians at the top and KHL money. But seriously doubt a full on trade for assets to make an immediate difference.

16. DSF says:

Woodguy: There’s a lot more smoke other than the standard “we will always listen to offers” boilerplate.

I’d set the line that one of CBJ and EDM trades their pick at -140

Clay,

Yes.I said once he dealt with 27 and 83 he’s be 4.0, for better or for worse.

Also,

I wonder if 55′s back spasms are attitude spasms.He was one of the guys mentioned in the last game with the shit talk on the bench.

So 56 and 23 on roster.Its almost like it was supposed to be in Oct!

Watch.

17. Traktor says:

Gilbert had another strong game last night. Zero points, -1.

Hopefully Tambellini can lose more trades like the Penner and Gilbert moves.

18. spoiler says:

Neo J,

I’d have to go with Jun 1969 over March 1967. Something about Helen Antonaccio…

The rest of your list sounds about right though.

19. nathan says:

There’s a wide open race for lottery spots 3-5. Almost all the non-playoff teams in the East are still in the running.

Why trade real assets to move up when you just need to bench them for a few days with a tweak?

20. Jordan says:

DSF: With Burke’s Leafs dropping into the lottery, I expect draft day to have a lot of fireworks.

Watch.

Hey, do you think that burke would make that Lupul Kid available so he can move up? Big bodied Edmonton boy – just what the Oilers need! D:

Seriously though, the more I think about LT’s suggestion about making a play for Phaneuf, the more I like it. I don’t think he’s a good person, but I bet he’s one of the least enjoyable people in the league to play against.

Which is what I want the Oilers to be. So… brass taxes?

21. Clay says:

I agree that Murray is their guy, I just don’t like hearing the GM talk about drafting for need over BPA. We’ve seen that movie before.

The part that makes it easier is that this year, as WG and others have pointed out, the forwards at the top of the list are Russians with question marks attached. So if they do take Murray or Reinhart, and one of Yakupov or Grigs is still available, an argument could be made that they DID choose BPA.

Still – if Grigorenko turns into the next Malkin, and the Oilers went with the next Chris Phillips instead, it’s going to sting like Parise x 10.

I think that, say, 5 or 6 years from now, this is the draft when we see just how Magnificent the Bastard is.

22. neojanus says:

Spoiler,

My friend, consider the list adjusted…

GREAT… now I have to find a feather duster to account for the…

Ah, never mind.

23. Ducey says:

I don’t think Burke would trade the Dion. I think Burkie will stomp around with his tie around his shoulders, but will find that most GM’s are not going to give him a leading roster player for peanuts.

Nice to see Olivier Roy make 36 of 38 saves and get second star last night in OKC.

24. danny says:

Wasnt it just a few years ago that the Oilogosphere were holding CLB as the shining example of a hockey organization with all of the arrows pointing in the right direction? Funny thing that is.

Theres loads of rhetoric and narrative on both sides of the fan/msm divide these days. Probably has always been, but I was a card carrying member of the basement diet coke brigade, so didn’t really notice so much.

One truth I can get behind, that is common sense really, is that you don’t forge ahead led by the very same people that deep sixed you to begin with.

The teeth gnashing over Hemsky being traded at the deadline, and Gilbert vs Shultz are examples of things I find myself tuning out these days. I’d imagine Howson may have a cautionary tale or two that would shine some light on logic and conjecture.

25. Clay says:

DD to start, as per Oilers tweet.

26. Jordan says:

danny,

If columbus is anything, it’s an example of what happens when the GM thinks he’s going to spend his way into a better team.

Same thing can be said for Buffalo this year, and the Oilers Circa 08-09.

Of course, it’s really easy to for a decent team to look really bad when their puckstop can’t stop pucks.

Clay:
    DD to start, as per Oilers tweet.

I think that’;s the first start after a loss DD has had all year.

Nice to see.

Finally.

28. gogliano says:

The Oilers have always been an org that controls image so I take some perverse pleasure in their hammering by the hockey gods this season when I think they’ve actually made some decent strides. If you go by goal differential, the Oil are 24th in the league right now at -27. Not great, but real .500 is within spitting distance. Last year they managed a -76, good for a 30th place finish by 16 goals (COL finishing with -61). Let’s just assume they and other teams stay where they are (an oversimplification over course but were over 4/5ths of the way done) and look at improvement over last season by the worst clubs by GD last year (double digits in negative GD):

MINN: -27 -> – 44 = -17
    TOR: -33 -> -15 = + 18
    FLOR: -34 -> -22 = +12
    NJ: -35 -> +13 = +48
    NYI: -35 -> -47 = -12
    CLB: -43 -> -62 = – 19
    ATL/WIN: -46 -> -14 = +32
    OTT: -58 -> +10 = +68
    COL: -61 -> -3 = +58
    EDM: -76 -> -27 = +49

Of course, it is a lot easier to improve when you’re as far from the NHL mean as the Oilers were. But all the recent gnashing of teeth–which I’m fine with, management hasn’t convinced me they know what they are doing–really glosses over how much better a team the Oilers are this year. If this team gets league average goaltending next year they should be solidly in the playoff hunt.

29. Nessler37 says:

Good to see Dubnyk start again, he gives the the Oil the best chance to win.

In other news Alex Galchenyuk makes his return to the Sarnia Sting tonight. His numbers as a
    16yr old suggest a top 3 pick, lets see if he can play his way back in to the conversation with a big
    playoff.

I would not be against the Oil taking him if he returns to form.

He could be a steal if he drops out of the top 5.

nathan:
    Woodguy,

It really depends on how teams that have a need for young offensive forwards view the top picks, and what they are willing to give up.

I don’t think anyone is trading up from way back to grab Murray, Dumba or Reinhart, but if a team needs offense and likes one of the top two it can happen because those two can play NHL next year (probably not well, but they can play)

I think there will be lots of moving up or down 2 spots for an extra pick or body, but probably only 1 (if any) of the big trades.

I think the top picks don’t have the perceived value of the past few years. Couple that with teams that are feeling pressure to be better tomorrow and that makes those picks much more available than usual.

Everyone brings up PHX because they will probably lose Doan, need offense, and have 3 great young Dmen (Yandle, OEL, Runblad….Summers is also coming along ok, but not in the same league as the previous 3)

If you are going to get one of those, its probably Runblad (I wouldn’t trade Yandle or OEL for almost anything).

So Oiler’s put in the 2nd overall + something decent and get Runblad + PHX1st (currently 17th overall)

I’m not saying that is happening, just an example.

danny,

I know its a foreign concept to many, but its possible to change your opinion on something when given new information.

I thought Sutter was going a very good job in CAL taking real NHL players for 2nd rounders every year, a tactic that is almost guaranteed to work in the long run as most 2nd rounders don’t become actual NHL players.

Then he lost his mind and a lot of value for CAL starting with the Phaneuf trade.

He was good before, then became bad.

Easy to change your mind with new evidence when you are not married to your opinions.

Its like Tambellini’s view on Khabby. He was good 10 years ago, so he must be good now.

He didn’t change him opinion based on new information.

Its possible to like what Howson did before and hate what he did later.

I think that evaluating every move on its own merit is more honest than trying to jam facts into a running narrative. Then the body of facts dictates your opinion.

32. pboy says:

WG,

Where do you see Doan going as a UFA?

33. rickithebear says:

sliderule: Why not call up Reider.He has as many goals per game as Bartschi who Flames called up.According to team site he is now 5ft11 and190lbs.having a great year 40 goals 41 assists.

That beauty is being saved for a great makes the team out of camp story in the fall.
    He has maintained 2PPG since Mid november.

Whoever mentioned samuelson! holy crap. No pp time and Ev PPG total may be #1 in all CHL.
    this kid gets PPtime and his PPG toal would be 1.5-1.7PPG.

pboy:
    WG,

Where do you see Doan going as a UFA?

It really depends on what motivates Doan.

If he wants a ring before he retires it won’t be PHX.

if he’s happy playing out a few years then retiring then he won’t leave his ranch in PHX.

My guess is he wants to win at least once

35. DSF says:

Woodguy:
    danny,

He was good before, then became bad.

Its like Tambellini’s view on Khabby.He was good 10 years ago, so he must be good now.

He didn’t change him opinion based on new information.

Its possible to like what Howson did before and hate what he did later.

I think that evaluating every move on its own merit is more honest than trying to jam facts into a running narrative.Then the body of facts dictates your opinion.

So true.

Pressure to win is very different in each market and it affects how GM’s do their jobs.

Because of declining attendance, Howson was forced into altering his rebuild strategy and try and hit some home runs. Oops.

Virtually the same situation in Phoenix where Maloney needed to make the playoffs and dismantled his rebuild in favour of bringing in vets.

It worked to a point although I doubt anyone would think the Coyotes are a cup contender.

Given the recent unrest among fans, we may see Tambellini need to make some bold moves this off season and we should find out if he is fish or fowl.

(DB 2A) :)

sliderule:
    Hartski called up.Ok played last night so doubt he will dress.

Why not call up Reider.He has as many goals per game as Bartschi who Flames called up.According to team site he is now 5ft11 and190lbs.havinga great year 40 goals 41 assists.

Can only pull players out of the CHL when its on an “emergency” basis.

CAL is decimated by injuries right now and Abbotsford couldn’t afford to lose another body.

Traktor:
    Gilbert had another strong game last night. Zero points, -1.

Hopefully Tambellini can lose more trades like the Penner and Gilbert moves.

Seguin was -4 last night.

Wonder if Chiarelli is going to trade him for a good defensive 3C?

38. danny says:

Woodguy:
    trying to jam facts into a running narrative.

39. nathan says:

Woodguy,

Deeply skeptical that #1 or #2 get traded down more than a few spots to take a top D.

40. SK Oiler Fan says:

Woodguy: I think that’;s the first start after a loss DD has had all year.

Nice to see.

Finally.

Really? More Renney Bizzaro World decisions. It’s not like there’s only been a few losses either.
    Great way to instill confidence in a goalie that you are theoretically trying to develop

danny: like character assassination plot that was unfolding before our eyes to get rid of that bum Hemsky at the deadline right?

See, this is what I’m talking about.

I never said that.

Why do you constantly take what I say and add a massive dose of your own skewed view to it, then attribute it back to me?

I said the narrative changed on a dime.

I suggested that Tambellini was planning on trading Hemsky, then for whatever reason, decided to keep him.

The MSM was riding Hemsky out of town, then when they got wind of him staying, they stopped killing him in the media.

I never suggested Tambellini was orchestrating a vast conspiracy.

I was suggesting that the MSM doesn’t think for themselves and just go with whatever the current narrative is.

I also suggested that either current players (especially Hall) petitioning for Hemsky to stay, or a lack of good return on the trade market (or a combination of the two) is probably what changed Tambellini’s mind on trading him.

Can you show me where I said there was a conspiracy?

Its like the Gilbert trade.

You said I characterized it like trading Coffey for peanuts, when I said nothing of the sort.

I’ve asked you to show me where I characterized the GIlbert trade anything more than trade a Jack for a Nine or trading $50 for $40, but you still haven’t.

Give me evidence that I wrote anything about a conspiracy.

42. hunter1909 says:

Traktor:
    Gilbert had another strong game last night. Zero points, -1.

Hopefully Tambellini can lose more trades like the Penner and Gilbert moves.

LMAO

43. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Seguin was -4 last night.

Wonder if Chiarelli is going to trade him for a good defensive 3C?

Seguins a bust.

Seriously, Seguin’s a really good player with fantastic upside. Taylor Hall on the other hand, is a crazy good player with HOF/all time top player list potential upside.

44. spoiler says:

My guess on the rumours about the 2nd overall being available is that the Oil might be willing to trade the #2 overall (and possibly another asset) to Buffalo for their two firsts… they could then draft whoever of Rielly, Reinhart or Dumba is left with Buffalo’s pick and then the Russian goalie with Nashville’s.

Of course no one is going to be willing to do anything till the full draft order is set, many many weeks from now.

45. regwald says:

Bad news for @WHLGiants David Musil is done for the season. Has surgery today on a fractured wrist. Nathan Burns also done with a MCL injury

From Dan Elliot Giants play by play guy on twitter.

46. spoiler says:

That’s unfortunate news, but thanks Regwald.

47. Traktor says:

Woodguy: Seguin was -4 last night.

Wonder if Chiarelli is going to trade him for a good defensive 3C?

Seguin puts up points and isn’t a career -30 so probably not.

Traktor: Seguin puts up points and isn’t a career -30 so probably not.

Hall is -12 in only a season in a half.

Want to punt him?

49. Traktor says:

Edmonton trading a top 2 pick would almost be as dumb as the Horcoff signing.

Almost.

50. danny says:

Woodguy,

Well while we are harping on nuance, lets clarify that I equated your vitriol over the 77/15 deal to something we should have expected in a 7/15 deal. My point being, that (imo) it was a much more lateral move than your reaction would lead anyone to believe.

secondly, I don’t have the time, nor inclination to go quote searching beyond clicking on a couple hemsky threads, and its possible you have made clearer statements to the following, but I skim these boards every day, i probably miss a lot, but I get a decent feel for the pulse of whats happening nonetheless.

Stauffer has gone from “Hemsky is willing to move on term”, to “The Oilers can’t afford Hemsky due to cap flexibilty issues”

I guess someone told him to change the narrative.

and then theres the sending the wrong message to the kids narrative, where players werent asked about 83, but were offering their comments…

I asked Shawn Horcoff about the Ales Hemsky situation. “It concerns me a little bit. I’m a big believer in Hemmer. He’s a type of player that it’s tough to duplicate that type of skill and it (skill) is hard to get. You lose a guy like that and it is hard to replace. Obviously we have young guys that are stepping up and doing the job, but I don’t know if you can ever have enough skill up front. The price has to be right and there is economics that go into it, but if I had it my way I’d have him back.” Hard to disagree with him.

He asked. Notice how he mentioned economics as well. Back when we didnt know what term or price Hemsky was asking, but still trading him was a monumental mistake.

Anyways. Keep on keepin it real homie.

51. "Steve Smith" says:

You can tell a great hockey mind by the way it doesn’t need to hear the return on a trade (or the dollar figure on a contract) before knowing it’s terrible.

52. Traktor says:

Woodguy: Hall is -12 in only a season in a half.

Want to punt him?

53. oilersfan says:

Too bad filip forsberg isn’t playing in the chl. It would show uss if he is the next landeskog or the next paajarvi

If he is the next landeskog he is exactly what the oilers need

54. pboy says:

WG,

Where exactly were you on November 22, 1963?

55. "Steve Smith" says:

oilersfan,

He plays defence?

Not that I’d turn up my nose at Gabriel Landeskog, obviously, but when I hear “exactly what the Oilers need”, forwards are the third position I think of.

56. Gerta Rauss says:

Traktor:
    Edmonton trading a top 2 pick would almost be as dumb as the Horcoff signing.

Almost.

Do you really belive that…?….under any and all circumstances…?
    If the Oilers win the lottery–and it’s not unreasonable to suggest that–do you think that Nail Yakupov is the best fit for this organization…?
    This team has a laundry list of things they need but a 5’10″ scoring forward would be pretty far down my list.

57. hunter1909 says:

Traktor:
    Edmonton trading a top 2 pick would almost be as dumb as the Horcoff signing.

Almost.

Tambellini has been uber cautious as GM, but when was the last time oilers were the number 1 powerplay the Dynasty that’s when.

Tambo’s trades, Penner/Gilbert have not been bad ones either.

GM’s who trade down are ALWAYS either running a Detroit style team of HOF vets, or else giant schmucks ala Burke/Lombardi/whoever was GM of the California Golden Seals prior to the 1971 draft.

The thought of Tambellini joining the riverboat gambler style of GMing(Kevin Lowe’s infamous trade with Big Lou of the Devils trade of: Parise for Jacques+ Pouliot says hello) terrifies this fan, especially of late when most of my fellow commentators, many of who know hockey extremely well are in circle the wagons mode during this current winless spell.

MEMO TO TAMBELLINI: Stay calm, you’re starting to get a reputation as a decent negotiator in some parts of the NHL fraternity, which includes Dean Lombardi, and Hemsky’s agent. Trade up in the draft if you can talk Howson, with the Blue jackets fear of drafting yet another ornery Russian out of Nail Yakupov, by all means.

58. spoiler says:

All this talk about narrative seems so apropos in a thread with Kubrick “Shining” pic… The King of of exploring plastic narrative.

“Steve”,

we have a lot of decent D and G prospects in the system. I think someone like Speeds would be assessing the priority in the opposite order you are.

59. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler:
    “Steve”,

we have a lot ofdecent D and G prospects in the system.I think someone like Speeds would be assessing the priority in the opposite order you are.

Communist.

60. spoiler says:

I’ll let him know, lol.

61. Ducey says:

An excellent point. But on the other hand, the two Russians don’t really seem to be what the Oilers need either. If they can draft a D (perhaps Murray) who can step in next year and is at the front of the D prospect wave in the organization, they should be set there.

62. oilersfan says:

Steve the oilers don’t need a power forward who can score?

Dmen are hard to evaluate and project and take forever to develop. Forwards are more predicatable and are ready sooner. This team needs a scoring power forward and a high end second line two way center with size as much as it needs dmen. Considering where Marincin, Klefbom etc are, I don’t think the Oilers have more forwards than dmen prospects do you?

Forsberg may be the power forward and Grigorenko or Galchenyuk may be the center. The dmen sound good but I’m not sure any of them are better than Marincin or Klefbom, and are probably two years or more away from playing and two more from making serious contrbutions

63. "Steve Smith" says:

oilersfan:
    Steve the oilers don’t need a power forward who can score?

It’s funny, because that’s exactly what I said.

64. Master Lok says:

Clay: They’re taking Ryan Murray.

I’m not so sure. On 630 Dan Tencer was talking with Rob Brown, and I do find Rob Brown insightful. It was also mentioned that Rob Browns’ dad, former Kamloops GM Bob Brown is a member of the oilers scouting staff. Rob Brown said that he would be shocked if the Oilers did not pick Grigorenko if he was available at the Oilers selection.

Grigorenko fills a need for a big skilled centre. Considering that both Browns follow the Oilers as a result of their day job, I don’t think it would be too surprising that they would discuss Oilers hockey together. It makes sense to me, I just can’t see the Oilers picking Murray over Grigorenko especially when the oilers need a capable top 4 dman now, not five years from now.

65. Master Lok says:

Ducey:

An excellent point.But on the other hand, the two Russians don’t really seem to be what the Oilers need either.If they can draft a D (perhaps Murray) who can step in next year and is at the front of the D prospect wave in the organization, they should be set there.

the Oilers already have a skilled top 6 centre with size? what?

66. Cactus says:

Woodguy: I think that’;s the first start after a loss DD has had all year.

Nice to see.

Finally.

Actually, it’s happened at least twice before:

Monday, November 28: Dubnyk lost 2-1 to Nashville after a 5-2 loss to the Avs on Nov. 26.
    Wednesday, December 7: DD lost to Carolina 5-3 after a 5-3 Khabby loss to the flames on December 3.

I stopped checking after that, but it HAS happened. Your point about playing the best goalie is well-taken however.

That said, as much as the Oilers are miserable to watch right now, isn’t this a game we want Khabibulin in for? If Columbus wins, they’re only 6 points back of Edmonton. Moreover, I don’t think anyone in management or coaching (with the possible exception of Lowe) could keep their jobs with another 30th place finish – Tambellini basically guaranteed they wouldn’t be there at the draft lottery.

67. sliderule says:

Taylor Chorney with two goals last night.

Don’t we already have our Murray in Chorney?Decent puck movers but not that physical.

I don’t think the defense prospects in this draft will be as good as 2011.

Would you take Murray over Hamilton or Klefbom.?

I wouldn’t!

68. Marc says:

A propos of nothing, assuming that this season isn’t just a flash in the pan and Eberle is indeed an elite first line winger and Smid is a good shut down top four D, the Pronger trade would have to go down as not only the best ‘star player for picks and prospects’ deal in Oiler history (go look at the returns for the Gretzky, Coffee, Messier, Anderson, Fuhr, Kurri, Weight or Smyth deals), but also one of the best in the entire NHL in the last 25 years.

The team trading the star almost never ends up with an elite player in return (Iginla stands out as an exception, but not many others come to mind – though the early indications on Boston’s Kessel deal and Philly’s Carter deal suggests they will be exceptions too) and often doesn’t even end up with one good player (see most of the Oiler trades listed above).

Weird.

69. Bos8 says:

Farjestad hi lites – Klefbom play is at about the 2:20 mark.

Originally Posted by SouthSwe
    19.47 played, Klefa had 1 assist, 2 shots on goal.
    +1 and 1 hit.
    One of our best players if not the best. Praised by everyone for his enormous fighting spirit in every boxplay especially.

——————
    The coach puts him on the ice in a tight playoff game to defend the 1 goal lead? That’s the best sign right there. The fact that he made a smart play that will get him another look there is also good.
    ——————
    The above from HF board posters, top one is from Sweden. People saying that Murray could step right into an NHL lineup out of Junior? Talk about rushing/risking careers.

Still beating the drum. The Oilers need to start bringing in the kids or at least giving them a real look, and not throwing them in on the dregs with a Sutton or a Potter.

70. gd says:

Master Lok,

I think if they are drafting in the top three a high end forward is still the most logical pick as I think size and scoring depth are actually the OIlers biggest long term need. I believe between Teubert, Plante, Maracin, Gernat, Klefbom and Musil they have at least two four/five dmen in the next two years and high end dmen in the draft seem like a big crapshoot and no one in this crop seems like a sure thing. That said when I look Forsberg’s stats they don’t even look as good as Paajarvi’s in his draft year.

This is definitely looking like a more complicated year for whoever the GM is and Stu compared to the last two.

danny,

You know Stauffer works for the Oilers right?

Stauffer isn’t MSM, he’ staff.

Also,

Hall and Gilbert weren’t asked their opinion, they offered it.

Keep on keepin it real homie.

Real is all I ask for.

Your impression of what I write is different that what I actually write.

Traktor: Hemsky is -17 this year alone and has less goals than Ben Eager. Maybe Fletcher will take him?

Only if they ship back Brodziak.

pboy:
    WG,

Where exactly were you on November 22, 1963?

On the advice of Steve Smith I refuse to answer that question.

Cactus: Actually, it’s happened at least twice before:

I stopped checking after that, but it HAS happened.Your point about playing the best goalie is well-taken however.

That said, as much as the Oilers are miserable to watch right now, isn’t this a game we want Khabibulin in for?If Columbus wins, they’re only 6 points back of Edmonton.Moreover, I don’t think anyone in management or coaching (with the possible exception of Lowe) could keep their jobs with another 30th place finish – Tambellini basically guaranteed they wouldn’t be there at the draft lottery.

I was referring to DD starting after a DD loss.

First one is one I missed.

Thanks.

I don’t think Tambellini guaranteed they wouldn’t be in the lottery, but he did say he didn’t want to be there.

Good stuff.

gd:
    Master Lok,

Drafting skilled forwards is never a bad idea.

Skilled forwards, along with bonafide (bonafide! OBWAT) 1st pairing Dmen are the highest valued currency in the NHL.

The draft is free assets, always grab what will have the most value.

You can trade from strength to fill holes.

76. Ducey says:

Master Lok: the Oilers already have a skilled top 6 centre with size? what?

Grigorenko has size but I haven’t seen anything that says he will use it. He is not the “power forward” the Oilers need. Add in the questions regarding effort, and I am not sure there is anything there better than Gagner, is there?

77. Ducey says:

Woodguy: On the advice of Steve Smith I refuse to answer that question.

Quick, Steve. Render an account.

78. cabbiesmacker says:

Clay: They’re taking Ryan Murray.

I’ll see your Bet and raise you…hmmm…

IF..
    .Oilers stay in the #2 position
    Grigorenko has not declared a deep affinity to play in his homeland
    One of Grigorenko’s does not suddenly detach itself from his body

They draft Grigorenko.

My opinions only:

Drafting any of this years available D candidates in the #2 spot is the next town past Doofusville

Trading down a spot or 3, aquiring an asset, preferably a warm body + still getting a guy you had your eyes on…Smart

Giving up the pick altogether along with assorted flotsam and aquiring a real need….Nice

Trading a steaming pile of dogdoo, of which there is an ample pile at the ready, for anything? Sensational

"Steve Smith":

This won the thread a mile ago.

80. cabbiesmacker says:

I was having a mediocre day. Thank you for the guffaws

81. "Steve Smith" says:

Ducey,

It wasn’t actually me, though – it was my Ian Binnie-inspired telephone recording: “You have reached counsel. Keep your mouth shut. Press 1 to repeat this message.”

Real time-saver. Traktor might consider looking into something similar for his Oilogosphere activities.

82. "Steve Smith" says:

(Okay, the line wasn’t actually Binnie’s, it was the Ontario Criminal Lawyers’ Association’s. But the line about the state having no business in the nation’s bedrooms wasn’t Trudeau’s either, and nobody seems to much care about that. And Ian Binnie is awesome.)

83. cabbiesmacker says:

Ducey:
    , the two Russians don’t really seem to be what the Oilers need either

You like the RNH – Gagner tandem as your future 1-2 C Ducey? I see a fairly serious need for a centre myself. Lander is about the only young one outside of todays lineup in the system yes?

84. bookje says:

Woodguy: I’m as full of shit as the next guy. If you have a problem with what I write, quote it please.
    Your impression of what I write is different that what I actually write.

I don’t know Woodguy, I don’t think he plagiarized you at all.

85. ashley says:

That’s bad news about Musil. Anyone remember Doug Lynch? Eerie.

Let’s hope it is not serious. We need to get a hit or two on some the picks in the 30′s and 40′s.

86. "Steve Smith" says:

ashley:
    That’s bad news about Musil.Anyone remember Doug Lynch?Eerie.

So you’re saying that we should trade him for Shea Weber?

87. danny says:

Woodguy:
    danny,

Your impression of what I write is different that what I actually write.

I don’t think that’s accurate, but I can live with that.

Lowetide: This won the thread a mile ago.

I thought so too.

88. danny says:

Erik Cole just hi-5′d a ref after he scored. Dellow expose to follow.

89. cabbiesmacker says:

regwald:

Bad news is right. Nathan Burn’s knee was hooped back in Bantam AAA. He was using a brace for a long time and maybe still does. Real nice kid and good hockey player.

Along those lines I wonder if Bruce would know what Colin Smith’s status is since he came to TC with the Oilers. Not owned by anyone currently I don’t think and having a nice year. Lowe and company know him very well for sure so I wonder if they bring him back for another look? Smallish C but a very good offensive player.

90. Traktor says:

Gabriel Landeskog just scored his 20th. What a player.

Traktor,

Sakic was -106 after 3 seasons.

Pierre Page was an idiot for not trading him for Dan Quinn.

92. gogliano says:

I’m really looking forward to Klefbom improving our boxplay.

93. cabbiesmacker says:

Traktor:
    Gabriel Landeskog just scored his 20th. What a player.

Sam Gagner is giving RNH the devils phone number as we speak. RNH mulling the merits of 4 good games out of 60 just for a Calder.

94. Traktor says:

Woodguy:
    Traktor,

Sakic was -106 after 3 seasons.

Pierre Page was an idiot for not trading him for Dan Quinn.

Traktor: Sakic scored 291 points in his first 3 seasons. Tom Gilbert couldn’t score 291 points playing Tetris (he was obviously unlucky).

-106 and 291pts!!

He must have had a lot of give aways.

Hear he couldn’t throw much of a check either.

Sakic in QUE also played a lot every night.

97. Traktor says:

Woodguy: -106 and 291pts!!

He must have had a lot of give aways.

Hear he couldn’t throw much of a check either.

98. DSF says:

Woodguy: -106 and 291pts!!

He must have had a lot of give aways.

Hear he couldn’t throw much of a check either.

Or maybe he scored a lot on the PP and it doesn’t count in +-

Oh, wait…he did.

99. danny says:

I love lamp.

Sakic in QUE also played a lot every night.

Dan Quinn might not play as much, but he’d post a better +/-

101. Traktor says:

Shawn Horcoff Avergae TOI 19:50
    Tyler Seguin Average TOI: 17:09

Woodguy logic says that Horcoff is better

Herp Derp

Traktor: Maybe Gilbert will end up in the Hall of Fame. I’m sure he would have your vote.

He might.

That Sakic kid has no chance with -106 though

103. Traktor says:

How the hell could Tambellini trade his TOI horse for Tyler Seguin!!

Traktor:

DRINK!!

Horcoff and die!!

107. danny says:

Bertrand: 1
    Lowetide.ca: 0

108. danny says:

One of the things about turning 36 next month… Im pretty sure I injured my shoulder last night while I was asleep in bed.

109. Traktor says:

Woodguy: He might.

That Sakic kid has no chance with -106 though

Sakic ended up +30

Gilbert is 28 years old and -30. Maybe he will learn how to play hockey when he is 40.

Who’s bertrand?

CACTUS!

danny:

betrand did it. Also Hilroy. Not Kilroy, although he was there.

SANDWICH!

112. danny says:

lol what a bizarre GDT

Bertrand 1:
    Lowetide.ca: 1

Hartikainen is out according to the media. so the Lw’s will be Hall, Smyth, cork and screw.

114. DeadmanWaking says:

spoiler:
    I agree with everything there LT except for this line:

They have splendid young talent learning how to lose

I’m with spoiler on this one. Our three best guys don’t even have “learning how to lose” circuits. That’s what makes them elite character guys. In my view–which I’ve held about 70% of the time as the tea leaves wax and wane–is that Katz wants to throw a party in the new barn. He’s not going to waste his coin winning prematurely, but he’ll blow the budget to make year one in the new barn shine. The cap is not a salary cap in Katz’s mind, it’s a PR cap: it’s the most you can spend in your chosen year to make a good first impression. Good business to doff you cap whenever people throw you an easy hundred million. Make them feel appreciated. You might want a spare hundred million again some day.

Under this view, next season is the first season where gaining some winning momentum is crucial to the outcome. If it weren’t for the cap, that wouldn’t even be true. Without the cap he could just wait it out and go full Kelowna at the last minute, Rangers style. We’d be carrying deadweight contracts for a decade to come after three good years in the shiny new facility (which I think of as the “banner transplant interval”).

The whole meme of “learning to lose” is a clever way to shoo out of the building the possibility that the present clusterfuck is a quasi-competent exercise in biding time, where management has a very different agenda than the paying fan.

For Katz there’s a small problem. The team needs to make some serious improvements in the off season, but there’s little evidence to establish that present management holds any aces up their sleeves. You can’t evaluate your engine until you let the turbo spin. And it’s nowhere close to spinning, as of yet.

One thing that has changed since Kelowna is that you can find free agents willing to show up knowing that the young core is ready to rumble. It’s a hell of a lot easier to sell winning than losing. Only the version I’m talking about goes on behind closed doors.

115. danny says:

That budweiser commercial where they use a table saw to make a coaster from a hockey puck… i hope nobody tries that at home (or atleast have the sense to superglue the puck to the table first)

116. DBO says:

So 3 mins of Hordichuk and Ryan Jones as a 2LW is better then HArski at 2 LW and Jones at 4LW.

The in game decisions are terrible, and the lineup is worse. renney making a point or what.

The Nuge is a pleasure to watch. Nice mark on the Cbus winger there. Small item but it’s there. At 18.

118. danny says:

Does anyone think, being a vet that played under MacT, and plays against coaches like Hitch, may be frustrated seeing Renney roll the lines like he has?

I know if I were sitting on the bench, and witnessed these weird decisions for almost two seasons, I’d be pretty perturbed by the culprit calling me out.

Jones. You can’t teach that.

120. stevezie says:

On the online feed I have during commercials I am treated to a miced-up Principe talking to the producers. I’ll let y’all know if he says anything cool.

Why wouldn’t Belanger go to the net after passing to Jones?

He knew there would be no shot, so why bother looking for a rebound?

122. stevezie says:

Fun gossip: Gene and Louie both think the ice is terrible.

123. TheOtherJohn says:

DMW

He’s spending to the cap with DFL, DFL (once you account for Souray, Stortini and Deslaurier paid one way money in the minors) and depending on tonight’s result DFL again. Why is it so difficult to look at the result and conclude, without a wide variety of contortions, management are really just that bad at assembling team.

He’s saving his money again how? He is not getting $100 m. He is getting $308m from the City of Edmonton.

Maybe they are just really bad because they are really good at assembling really bad teams

124. TheOtherJohn says:

Or maybe Katz realizes that he has the Secretariat of super bad NHL management and if he just let’s them do their thing he will assemble lots of talent. Problem is lots of bad teams have unsuccessfully followed that model too.

I hope you are right, that he knows what he is doing,, all evidence to the contrary

125. SK Oiler Fan says:

stevezie,

Did they actually say that, or is that word on the street? I was just thinking way back when when the Oilers were considered to have the best ice in the league and they’d play Dallas in the playoffs the pre game often mentioned the ice in Dallas looks terrible – it’s 30deg outside and there was a concert in here last night etc.
    Now that the shoe is on the other foot you don’t seem to hear “the ice is terrible tonight at Rexall”.

Anyway – that period was hilarious based on the puck bouncing like a golf ball.

Columbus is a bad bad team.

126. bookje says:

I don’t care who wins. I just want RNH and Eberle to get points.

Good for Ryan Jones, having a sense of humor about those plays. Stuff happens.

128. Traktor says:

Wow. This has to be the youngest player to ever play a game in the WHL.

129. bookje says:

TheOtherJohn:
    DMW

He’s spending to the cap with DFL, DFL (once you account for Souray, Stortini and Deslaurier paid one way money in the minors)and depending on tonight’s result DFL again. Why is it so difficult to look at the result and conclude, without a wide variety of contortions,managementare really just that bad at assembling team.

He’s saving his money again how?He is not getting $100 m. He is getting $308m from the City of Edmonton.

Yes, I hear they are just giving him the money with a big cheque.

DeadmanWaking: I’m with spoiler on this one.Our three best guys don’t even have “learning how to lose” circuits.That’s what makes them elite character guys.In my view–which I’ve held about 70% of the time as the tea leaves wax and wane–is that Katz wants to throw a party in the new barn.He’s not going to waste his coin winning prematurely, but he’ll blow the budget to make year one in the new barn shine.The cap is not a salary cap in Katz’s mind, it’s a PR cap: it’s the most you can spend in your chosen year to make a good first impression.Good business to doff you cap whenever people throw you an easy hundred million.Make them feel appreciated.You might want a spare hundred million again some day.

Under this view, next season is the first season where gaining some winning momentum is crucial to the outcome.If it weren’t for the cap, that wouldn’t even be true.Without the cap he could just wait it out and go full Kelowna at the last minute, Rangers style.We’d be carrying deadweight contracts for a decade to come after three good years in the shiny new facility (which I think of as the “banner transplant interval”).

For Katz there’s a small problem.The team needs to make some serious improvements in the off season, but there’s little evidence to establish that present management holds any aces up their sleeves. You can’t evaluate your engine until you let the turbo spin.And it’s nowhere close to spinning, as of yet.

One thing that has changed since Kelowna is that you can find free agents willing to show up knowing that the young core is ready to rumble.It’s a hell of a lot easier to sell winning than losing.Only the version I’m talking about goes on behind closed doors.

I don’t really follow what you are saying in your post.

Was it a Zebra or an Alpaca wearing one of Renney’s jackets?

131. SK Oiler Fan says:

Wow, a hooking call! They missed 10 others so far.
    Just wait until the playoffs – it will be 2002 all over again.

132. danny says:

Rob Schremp is 7th in SEL scoring. Jason Krog is 8th. No reports on +/- leaders yet, working on it, I’ll keep you posted.

133. SK Oiler Fan says:

If there was a pass completion percentage stat – RNH would lead the league at 95% plus.
    He sees guys that aren’t on my TV screen – seems to confuse the hell out of the camera operators.

134. DSF says:

Woodguy: I don’t really follow what you are saying in your post.

Was it a Zebra or an Alpaca wearing one of Renney’s jackets?

Just the most convoluted excuse for incompetent management.

I’m sure Katz has no interest in playoff revenue. :)

135. danny says:

SK Oiler Fan:

Just wait a few years when 1080p is standard.

Coincidentally, this may coincide with a wide enough camera angle to see an Oilers coach matching lines.

136. Kert says:

Has anyone else noticed this CBJ team isn’t that good at hockey?

137. bookje says:

danny:

Who is this Schremp fellow? Does anyone hold his rights? Maybe he would be a good pick up in the off season.

138. SK Oiler Fan says:

Pleasantly surprised with Shultz – efficient skater, good lateral movement, makes simple plays with puck, but not just banging it up the glass simple – the puck usually ends up on an Oiler stick. Obviously a physical edge, but doesn’t take himself out of the play in the process.

Not as down on the trade as I was initially based on early returns.

139. bookje says:

These kids are crazy good on the PP

140. Gerta Rauss says:

SK Oiler Fan: One problem – why isn’t he playing more? His skating looks fairly effortless and there’s no chaos to his game which suggests he could handle heavy minutes.

Only Tom Renney’s barber knows.

DSF: Just the most convoluted excuse for incompetent management.

I’m sure Katz has no interest in playoff revenue.

142. DSF says:

Woodguy: I’m just not used to reading a DMW post without consulting Norton’s Anthology, Pliny the Elder, or Mexican Blue Tops.

Try Onan the Verbarian.

143. oilersfan says:

In his first game back Galchenyuk gets no points, -3 in a 7-1 loss to Saginaw.

Brandon Saad with 3 points, now has 74 in 42 games for Saginaw. 6’2 210 lbs left winger with 33 goals in 42 games in the OHL as a 18 year old. I wanted him over Musil at the draft and still do. I know some here liked the Musil pick but with Saad still available I was hoping the Oilers would take him. He was ranked 5th overall by Bob Mackenzie going into the season…went in the 40′s to Chicago.

144. oilersfan says:

ON that note, taking a power forward with the second pick, I hope the Oilers take Samuellson from the Oil Kings, sounds perffect

145. bendelson says:

Good game so far but I don’t agree with Renney’s philosophy of playing that 4×4 like they are on the PK. Nothing but penalty killers… No Eberle, no Hall. I’m not a professional NHL coach but I’m of the opinion that those two would be very dangerous in such a situation.

Nick Schultz makes so many nice little plays.

I think Renney is hard matching 28-93-14 to Nash.

148. SK Oiler Fan says:

Nash is playing like a guy who wishes he was somewhere else. He’s invisible.
    I wonder if after the game his coach will say “you’re a millionair – show up and play hockey”

149. SK Oiler Fan says:

D Minutes look more sensible tonight

150. SK Oiler Fan says:

Funny how all the D look better against the worst team since the 10/11 Oilers.

151. Gerta Rauss says:

Nice-we can afford that win after Montreal won in OT tonight.

And the motor city madman with 2 points.

Nice.

152. hunter1909 says:

Cue the Dubnyk apologists.

2 goals + a post by every one of the Kid Line.

Omark shows Renney one of his uses, too late to save Renney who looks like he’s already down the road, the poor schmuck. Him and Pat Quinn get first class treatment when the next cup is won, for contributions to 30th place.

Hall’s going to get meaner next season. RNH will gain 10 pounds, and Eberle will shine brighter than ever.

“The Captain” 2:55 left in the 1st Horcoff passes tape to tape as he heads for the bench – to a Columbus player.

Smid is so good. First class d-man. Shultz is very good too, get them 2 real defencemen next year Steve, if you’re serious about keeping your job. Seriously.

Peckham needs coaching ffs! He can be a solid player, but he’s still young and dumb. Waste another prospect? The oilers? Don’t be silly. Plenty more prospects coming to training camp!

FINALLY: Beating Calgary would be fantastic. And hilarious.

I thought Dubnyk had a nice night. still see no reason to offload him. Get a better option for NK, yes.

154. SK Oiler Fan says:

Belanger with 10:31 tonight, only 7:12 at evens – low for the season I’m assuming. Noticed he didn’t look happy about taking an D-zone draw for 93, advancing the puck to a nuetral zone faceoff 5 seconds later, then taking a seat beside Hodichuk while RNH says thanks on the way by.

It only took Renney 85% of the season to slot him in properly.

155. hunter1909 says:

But NK has a cup ring.

Isn’t Belanger supposed to be a good player? Is this the kind of issue the “fire Tambo” wing use as an example of managerial folly?

I think Belanger is a good player. He’s having a poor year, but imo he’s a guy the Oilers would probably see a lot better next season. Stuff happens.

157. Downright Fierce says:

Nick Schultz makes so many nice little plays.

Agreed. In one of the last two games, Schultzy turned a clapper into a low slap pass into the end boards. It popped right out front & created a chance (IIRC). Haven’t seen an Oiler blue effectively use that move in far too long.

Now: to find a Gilbert-type with which to pair him.

158. rickithebear says:

Downright Fierce: Now: to find a Gilbert-type with which to pair him.

Gilbert last 4 yr faced 2nd/3rd comp with .40P/60 2.99Ga/60 for 4M
    Since joining MIN 2nd comp and 4.20GA/60
    We have that in Potter.
    Potter facing 2/3rd comp with .38P/60 3.2Ga/60 for .775M

I think you mean Petry who is .83PPG and 1.95GA/60 since pairing with Smid.

These are not available: In order of highest PP/60
    Boyle, Chara, Weber, Mcdanagh, Myers, Doughty , Harrison, Campbell, Lidstrom, Vlasic, Gleason, Boychuk , Mitchell, Smid, Alzner, Girardi.

These guys are: and were they (rank behind: )
    Ian White 1st Comp .93PPG 1.79GA/60 (chara 3rd)
    Garrison 1st Comp .80PPG 2.11GA/60 (Campbell 10th)
    Suter 1st comp .67PPG 2.17GA/60 (Gleason 14th)
    Coliacavo 1st Comp .64PPG 1.36GA/60 (boychuk 16th)

Garrison and White please! Then Trade Whitney.

Smid-Petry
    Garrison-Schultz
    XXX-White
    Sutton-Potter

159. denny33 says:

Woodguy,

In a 30 team league, it is quite a result to finish this low again for this many years. You have some sad sack organizations that now are cavalier about mocking the Oilers.

How many organizations have been rebuilidng? Quite a few. The oilers have been rebuilding for how many years in a row now?

Oh wait, Oilers managment claims they are only in year two of the rebuild. They discount the the first year of incredible futility because it was not planned.

Florida – DECIMATED – its roster last year (2/3rds replaced) and low and behold find themsleves in the playoffs.

Ottawa blew the doors off a few years ago and still can’f find their way to the bottom of the league. It is really hard to get that low – even if you try.

There is something really wrong with an organization/managment if you can finish dead last or 2nd last 3 years in a row…again, we are the brunt of many jokes now.

Very few articles criticizing managment. There was one about how easy it is to pick the 1st overall kid in the draft…what about our 2nd round and 3rd round kids? You are talking about picking 3 kids in the top 61 players in the WORLD. ( picks 1, 31, 61 ) Need tangible results from rounds 2 & 3.
    ( Lucic, PK Subban, Franzen, Edler,Shea Weber, all from round 2 )

How can we be so thin on goal and on defence, given where we have been drafting lately? This team – even by its own admssion – is very thin on defence. Why?

On a team with RNH, Eberle, Hall we are a good 15-20 points behind teams that WON”T make the playoffs!!

On most nights, there is only one line to be feared ( Hall, RNH, Eberle ) …Gagner and Hemsky sometimes disapear ….the drop off after those lines at times is dramatic.

Usually, not from a lack of effort, Sean Horcoff is painful to watch. The man that signed the worst contract in the NHL ( Horcoff ) sits at the top of the organization. ( promoted )

Because we have been losing for so long, I think the magnituge of the futility is lost on most fans. Or they are numb to it.

What gives me hope is the possibility of picking Dumba this year. I know he is smaller but he is the best skating defenceman in the draft and with a great shot. Hopefully, Klefbom develops…I am not sold on the upside of Musil at all.

Tyler Pitlick, Ryan Martindale ( 2010 class ) David Musil, Samu Perhonen ( 2011 class) You are the 2nd and 3rd round picks of Oilers managment. We look forward to your development.

Sheldon Souray is +20 this year with 20 points scored in only 55 games played.