G71 Flames at Oilers

This year’s Oilers have 27 wins with 11 games to go and 30W seems reasonable. The GF-GA stats is also heading in a good direction, and any fool can see the 3 splendids at forward are bona fide.

BONA FIDE

Someday soon all of Hall, Eberle and the Nuge will be bona fide and I believe Sam Gagner, Magnus Paajarvi and Anton Lander will someday join the group. That’s 6, and there are some fine candidates bubbling under–although not at the level we see at the NHL level now.

On the blue, Ladislav Smid and Jeff Petry would seem to represent the future. Although they are not playing pro hockey in the AHL, men like Oscar Klefbom (SEL), Martin Marincin, David Musil, Martin Gernat (WHL) will be pushing before you know it.

If we ask the question “what single move can Steve Tambellini make?” this summer, the answer has to be one of:

• legit NHL goalie
  • strong, capable big minutes defender
  • veteran winger to fill the Dvorak/Pisani role

I don’t think they’re going to do anything about the goalie this summer. Do you?

228 Responses to "G71 Flames at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. gogliano says:

I don’t know, the way the Flames play the Oil it often appears as though they really are playing with some bounty game going on in the background. This wasn’t the worst of the hits and this one is a little more on Hall than most but I sympathize with the thought of Gretz taking one for the team here and running one or two of them over. Ball is in Gretz’s court I guess…

2. MrSmitty says:

I got a 28 before when I was 21 at lunch break playing with another student worker at the local pulp mill in Meadow Lake Sask. Other guys working there had never seen anyone get that high of a score in their lives some of them in their 60s. I haven’t even come close since.

You don’t know how much cribbage you have to play. Getting 29 is more of an endurance test with a little luck.

I’ve probably played an order of magnitude more cribbage than most of you guys.

5. DSF says:

Woodguy:
    DSF,

Even Horcoff fans know that using an amnesty buy out is a no brainer.

Its a comment on the degredation of the conversation around here.

Might want to consider that the Horcoff fans were the very same ones advocating the type of contract he received and were jubilant when he signed it.

Pretty much the same folks who figured you can’t replace Hemsky’s contributions for less than $5 million a year.

10GP 0G 2A 2P -5
    10GP 2G 9A 11P +6

6. DSF says:

Played crib once.

Got 29.

Never played again.

From Shane Jones twitter: Cory Sarich on not fighting Theo Peckham- “He’s a guy we want out on the ice. I’m not going to take him off it.”

8. Ducey says:

The Oilers should bring in SMAC in for training camp and dress him for the preseason games vs the Flames. Give him $100 K per concussed Flame regular. $150 K for a Sarich KO.

Fuck I hate the Flames. Good thing I didn’t go to the game. I’d have the foil on in the parking lot. Then I’d realise I’m not 25 anymore :)

Pitlick with 2 points. MPS with one.

Nice to see Harksy have a good one.

9. Gret99zky says:

Jesus, yall sound like I wanted somebody’s head on a pike.

Just a determined physical collision with some mean intentions behind it.

Something a team that wants some respect would do.

Crib?

Like I said getting old is sounding better and better.

10. Gret99zky says:

Hall concussion.

Oilers win 3-1.

Sarich talks about the terrible Oiler defensive players he would like to keep on the ice.

Message sent.

11. mattwatt says:

Reading this thread makes me think of the scene in Slapshot, “bleed all over them, let you know you’re there.”

12. Lewis Grant says:

$24M/6yrs for Petry? IF he’d sign it?

Are you kidding me?

Defensemen do not develop in a straight line. IIRC, Smid’s third season started terrible, ended OK. Fourth season? First half terrible, second half OK. Fifth season? Finally became a solid player.

Petry’s had 20 very good games. Prior to that, he was just another third-pairing guy with potential, like about 6 other guys on the team. (OK, fine, lots of potential.)

Plus, the value of defensemen is hard to quantify. He has, what, 18 points this year?

You don’t think he’d sign, say, $5M/3 yrs ? I’d consider anything over $2M/yr a negotiating fail by Tambo, even if Petry is worth far more.

13. MrSmitty says:

Lowetide: Meadow Lake. Man, that brings back memories. My Dad’s brother (Whitey) lived there, we went up a few times in the 70s. I sometimes think I’ll run the kids up there, show them good fishing (stop at Turtle Lake on the way) and small town Canada. They’ve never really seen a small town, I mean to spend a couple of weeks in summer in.

I also spent the first 6 years of my life in Maidstone ;) but I am sure we discussed that about a year ago.

The Hall/Sarich thing, personally I would have preferred to see someone line up Baertshi but seeing the Oil probably knock the flames out of the playoffs will have to do I guess.

14. Schitzo says:

Gerta Rauss: I had a 28 hand a few years back.

We still talk about it at Christmas gatherings.

In the words of my grandpa, “come see me when you have the Jack”. Godspeed, you cranky old cardshark.

15. Schitzo says:

Hahaha. It’s funny because if you can’t laugh, you’ll cry.

I agree that the best way to make the flames pay was to beat them on the scoresheet. That said, I wouldn’t object if Theo or Hordichuk went headhunting with 30 seconds left. Katz can buy Renney a corvette to make up for the $10G fine, and you can always give Hordi a one-way deal next year to make up the income he loses from the suspension.

16. cabbiesmacker says:

Skip past Turtle and head right for the park LT. Great fishing in most of the lakes there and a wide variety of species. Flotten, Kimball, Waterhen River, etc…all good. Explore a lake a day and you’ll be there two weeks. Take Hwy 28 route up through Bonnyville and into Sask east of Cold Lake and come in the west gates of the park a bit north of goodsoil. Families had a cabin up there since the early 60′s and there aren’t many places like it anywhere. Crystal clear water and sand beaches everywhere. Have a beer in the Dorintosh hotel.

Lots of bears so if you’re “liking hiking” keep your eyes open.

17. OilClog says:

OilClog is drunk.. and posting late.. Sarich, we use to take your kind around back and shoot ya. You weren’t making a hit to play the puck, you were taking another liberty with a player in a prone position. That is not the way hitting was suppose to be used in the game, and that’s what’s wrong with it. You have no respect for your fellow players, hitting a guy is fine, trying to kill someone for the sake of looking tough.. pathetic. Way to go Renney, No eager or sutton. Good thing Ales was on the ice!

If tambi doesn’t fire the man for his incompetence(sp?) I’m DRUNK!.. then I don’t know.. I guess I’ll drink another and organize a “remove the dead weight from the team” rally.. Renney and Tambi.. you’re my targets.. tambi you’re only included on this if you don’t back up your words. Could we resign George and just inject him with special Rexall Angry Serum.. PLEASE! ANGRY GEORGE BREAKS A IGINLA!

Horcoff really showed us a proud captain tonight! NOT! He’d get beat down by a girl scout that guy.

Petry.. Who or what is a Tom Gilbert?!? I love the trade now..

Could we bring Torres back? would that be possible? who could we get that we can throw out there and will just hit with the intent to injure?!? Wait I think we have a couple people that can do that.. Renney you suck.

Lewis Grant:
    $24M/6yrs for Petry?IF he’d sign it?

Are you kidding me?

Defensemen do not develop in a straight line.IIRC, Smid’s third season started terrible, ended OK.Fourth season?First half terrible, second half OK.Fifth season?Finally became a solid player.

Petry’s had 20 very good games.Prior to that, he was just another third-pairing guy with potential, like about 6 other guys on the team.(OK, fine, lots of potential.)

Plus, the value of defensemen is hard to quantify.He has, what, 18 points this year?

You don’t think he’d sign, say, $5M/3 yrs ?I’d consider anything over $2M/yr a negotiating fail by Tambo, even if Petry is worth far more.

Petry is 3 years to unrestricted free agency. So a 3 year contract would be really dumb. So you can sign him for two years, on a really value deal, but then you risk him opting for arbitration to unrestricted status in 3 years. And if you do re-sign him after two, you won’t have him on a value contract. You will be paying full value.

The Oilers aren’t cap constrained in the next two years. Petry on a value deal for the next two years doesn’t add anything. You want Petry on a value deal in his first three unrestricted years.

Which is why, if you believe he is one of the guy you lock up 3 unrestricted years now, and offer him 6 years @ $4 million per season.

Once you find a guy you want to go to war with, you lock him up longer term.

19. DBO says:

Here’s my issue with Renney’s in game decisions. The only guy who would have taken a nasty run at Sarich is Sutton. But he didn’t play barely at all after the first. Sutton is better then peckham or potter, he has played forward before. Our big issue with our passive forwards is our forcheck is not feared at all. Opposing D feel comfortable going back for the Puck. Eager helps, but last night Sutton should have been forechecking and crushing flames d all night. That wad the only way to get Sarivh. Yes it’s nice to win, but retribution would have served us just as well. They took liberties, and we didn’t respond. Hell. Hemsky had to stick up for himself. We don’t need goons who can’t play. We need tough players. And we have none outside of Eager and that’s not good

20. Dalton says:

I loved the post-game comment from Corey Sarich.

He’s asked what happened with Peckham? “Did he not want to go?” asks the reporter (as if!), and Corey says:

“He’s trying to get his team started, but he’s a guy we want out on the ice, so I’m not going to take him off the ice with me.”

Lolllllll!!!! He didn’t fight Peckham because he’s put to better use as an out-of-position pylon!!

DSF,

So I supposed to listen to a guy who said Hall would be another Ethan Moreau?

22. Lois Lowe says:

Horcoff is a bad captain now because he doesn’t make enough thunderous body checks?

23. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: Last game Renney ran 93′s line head to head with Nash.

Wonder if he’s going to run them at Ollie & Iggy tonight?

Yes he did, and the kids smoked Iggy’s line just like they smoked Nash’s line.

Must be Jones. :)

24. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy,

Woodguy:

A 5v5 goal by RNH.Any one’s world view shattered?

First one since last game!

25. cabbiesmacker says:

godot10: Petry is 3 years to unrestricted free agency.So a 3 year contract would be really dumb.So you can sign him for two years, on a really value deal, but then you risk him opting for arbitration to unrestricted status in 3 years.And if you do re-sign him after two, you won’t have him on a value contract.You will be paying full value.

The Oilers aren’t cap constrained in the next two years.Petry on a value deal for the next two years doesn’t add anything.You want Petry on a value deal in his first three unrestricted years.

Once you find a guy you want to go to war with, you lock him up longer term.

I agree with your suggested term and $$. Then we can trade him to Minnesota a few years out when he’s hitting his prime.

26. Bruce McCurdy says:

My father-in-law had a 29 once. Has a little trophy on the shelf to commemorate the occasion. He earned it too, in that he has played thousands of games and tens of thousands of hands in his life. Maybe x10 in both cases.

27. hunter1909 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Seeing how I think its a 2.5 million to one shot of getting one, that’s something.

That said, I once dealt someone a Royal Flush(diamonds), but he didn’t know what he was doing and so didn’t win a railroad with it.

28. BONVIE says:

MrSmitty,

Its been 20 years since the mill was put in production. I used to run the crane, but I seen pictures of it this summer in a scrap heap as I guess it blew over during a storm.

« Older Comments